• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
For Glory isn't the most ideal place to go, but it still gets the job done for me.

Though maybe joining a ladder would be preferable. >>

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Though I appreciate the concern, you really needn't have given that much thought to it. Embarrass

Respect is earned, and earn it I shall.
This video:
Earns you all my respect... Epic loss is epic.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Damn, I remember this thread before Robin was a thing/just announced, I need to be more active here, the only thread I'm really active in is Zelda social and Robin is just as much as my main as Zelda is. xD I'll try to show up here more often, I hope that's okay

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
I hope the global success of Awakening means a faster international release for FE14. Nintendo has the capability to localize games while they are being developed, but typically reserve this for products they consider high-profile.
I think it's a relief that there will even be a 14, as the developers announced that Awakening would be their last, assuming it was unsuccessful.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
According to the internet, everyone hated Awakening, therefore FE 14 is doomed and we should feel bad.
By this point Awakening has made the series way more popular at the cost of kind of crushing the base in half. On one hand I do personally prefer quite a few of the games that came before it, have some issues with the pair-up system, and wouldn't mind another less romance focused FE game. On the other, I still think Awakening is a great game, probably my 3rd favorite in the series overall, and the number of people getting worked up over said marriage system does feel petty when pairing characters together has been a staple of the series since the 4th game. Granted, FEs 5-12 didn't really emphasize pairing characters as much, but even so, it was there, and you better believe I shipped the hell out of Hector and Lyn in every playthrough of FE7.

All that aside, I think Awakening's influence has been for the most part good. Most I know who are new to the series are interested in playing the pre-Awakening titles, a lot of classic fans (myself included) like Awakening well and fine, and Nintendo is even doing a good job not forgetting about the older titles, having released the soundtrack to the Radiant series, put FE7 on the Wii U's virtual console, kept Ike playable in Smash, ETC. Plus, given the recent financial status of the series (though I blame that primarily on the lackluster remakes of the first 2 games), Awakening had to either succeed, or the Fire Emblem series as a whole had to die. I'm glad it was the former rather than the later.

It's kind of what I desperately WANTED to happen to the Shin Megami Tensei fandom after Persona 4 became big. Sadly, that fandom, from what I've seen at least, now consists of classic Shin Megami Tensei elitists and Persona 3 & 4 fanboys reaching for one another's throats, with no willingness to try other games in the series, or to accept the possibility that maybe, just maybe, games in the style of the classic SMT games and Persona 3/4 can exist at the same time.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
So, compared to Awakening what to you want most from the new Fire Emblem?

For me, I want good chapter designs again. Across all difficulties. Compared to many of the earlier games, Awakening had a lot of poorly designed chapters with little emphasis on positioning compared to other games. Need more features like bottlenecks and corners. No less than a third of the maps in a Fire Emblem should be indoors. Also, need to not pull off that Radiant Dawn Tower of Guidance bull**** where you start the chapter within attack range of a massive chunk of the enemy force. You can deal with it, but it stops being a unique feature of a chapter. This is also a good chance to incorporate more fog of war, breakable terrain, alternative objectives, etc.

I want the harder difficulties to be modelled more like Path of Radiance. Tone down enemy stats at higher difficulties, but increase their numbers and greatly decrease the EXP they give you. This design is more strategic overall since it has more emphasis on attrition, while you still have to worry about being bursted down because of Fighters, Mages, or weapons effective against your class type.

Also please do something about reinforcements appearing and attacking on the same turn. :/

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788

For me, I want good chapter designs again. Across all difficulties. Compared to many of the earlier games, Awakening had a lot of poorly designed chapters with little emphasis on positioning compared to other games. Need more features like bottlenecks and corners. No less than a third of the maps in a Fire Emblem should be indoors. Also, need to not pull off that Radiant Dawn Tower of Guidance bull**** where you start the chapter within attack range of a massive chunk of the enemy force. You can deal with it, but it stops being a unique feature of a chapter. This is also a good chance to incorporate more fog of war, breakable terrain, alternative objectives, etc.

I want the harder difficulties to be modelled more like Path of Radiance. Tone down enemy stats at higher difficulties, but increase their numbers and greatly decrease the EXP they give you. This design is more strategic overall since it has more emphasis on attrition, while you still have to worry about being bursted down because of Fighters, Mages, or weapons effective against your class type.

Also please do something about reinforcements appearing and attacking on the same turn. :/
Oh hey! You probably don't remember me, but you greeted me a wayyy long time ago. I started coming back to smashboards now, because I've been playing but not actually coming to the site.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh hey! You probably don't remember me, but you greeted me a wayyy long time ago.
Of course I remember you. :) I remember everyone who has come and gone into this thread prior to release.

Welcome back. ( ' ▽ ')/

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
If Awakening really

Going off of some of things you mentioned, I specifically would like to see more variety in weather that affects your strategies and approaches such as enemy ambushes in fog or enemies perched and camping on cliffs, etc. Actual manakete enemies would also be nice. Something that might be cool and trippy but unlikely is that if, for one or two levels only, they have you either fighting two different battles at once or at least 2 separate sections of a large battleground by using the second screen to display the second battle.

Oh and better storytelling and one or two new/returning classes.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well, it sucked seeing people take so long to warm up to @ Raziek Raziek when he is such a swell guy. I was kind of hoping he would take up some of the same level of revere, especially with how much hard work he puts into the community.A forum for premium members.
@ Raziek Raziek is great, from what I've seen both as a moderator and a person.

I just miss you being around, too. Good to see you'll still pop in every now and again. :3

The thing I want the most from the FE14 is improved map design and tweaking of the new features introduced in Awakening. Pair-up was great, but broken. Reclassing was amazing, but skills where poorly balanced. The amount of characterization was great, but there where still a ton of stereotypes to sift through to get to the good stuff.
Oh, and I hope the critical animations get to be as amazingly over the top as in the GBA FE games again.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
While I'd be alright with things like a magic trinity (even if I'm opposed to it) and even seize the throne/castle objectives (which is rather similiar to "kill the boss" objectives), and are fine with weather, I really don't want Fog of War to come back. That is one of the things I really hated with Advance Wars (and the GBA FEs) and I'm glad to see it gone.

Hong

The Strongest
@ F Folt Aww! But then there is so much tactical play with thieves and the Torch spell. Maybe they can have fog of war scale with difficulty and weather instead of just having it being an on/off thing.

I just miss you being around, too. Good to see you'll still pop in every now and again. :3
I am happy to be here with you again, Drakonis. (・ิω・ิ)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Improvements for FE14?

I think you all have basicly covered all my issues..

I'd like the trinity of magic to return as well.

Also: More map objectives.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
-I would like to see changes to the pair up system. Like the way it would function would depend on if the units were adjacent or actually paired up. If they are adjacent, then the only things that could happen are the Dual Strike and Dual Guard. The Duel Strike however would deal less damage than if that unit was actually attacking. I also think that Dual guarding where depending on the strength of the attack, would deal a lesser amount to the unit coming in for the guard.

-If they are paired up, the current unit with the paired up unit should receive a penalty of some sorts like a stat decrease from the older games. In this state dual attacks are more likely and a bit stronger, but there shouldn't be any dual guarding and the experience rewarded should be lowered if a dual attack occurred.

-While I do enjoy the world map, I get the feeling it could lead to more excessive grinding so I hope something gets done with that.

-I don't want a bunch of reclassing like Awakening. I think a unit should only be able to promote/change classes until they hit level 20, and upon going from base to promoted, they will have the option to choose a certain class like Awakening. However these are the only two classes to pick through and you won't be able to change for awhile if at all.

-Map and mission design. Like what most people have touched on already, I would like some variety on the map/missions. Instead of just kill everyone/the general, maybe get some defending for an odd amount of turns. I really enjoyed that Tiki side mission from Awakening. Maybe they could bring back the ballista too.

-Support system. The support system in Awakening felt fine, but I think the effects of the supports should play like they do in Path of Radiance. They won't influence any dual things, but they could provide a small stat boost. In order to develop the supports, the units should be at most one empty space away from each other. For getting the effects, it could be like PoR and have to be within 3 spaces of the unit. However if you were to have supports with multiple units on the field, instead of taking effects from all of them the system would have a cap of two supports.

I'd also like to see the magic trinity return and maybe some more/new beast classes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think we're all missing the most important change from Awakening to the new Fire Emblem.

We need more trap-characters. :troll:

[
I remember my BRRRROOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR during this chapter(in a blind first playthrough). He was all like "oh, who's Libra, should I recruit her", and I'm like "yeah go ahead".

The look on his face when Libra said he was a man was friggin priceless. :joyful:

And then he married Libra to Tharja. :crazy:

Folt

Smash Ace
@ F Folt Aww! But then there is so much tactical play with thieves and the Torch spell. Maybe they can have fog of war scale with difficulty and weather instead of just having it being an on/off thing.
What can I say: Everything is just fine and dandy and- Oh no, I went into the path of an enemy unit! Ugh, there comes three more and now my unit is dead! Aaaarrgh!!!

(It's not too bad in Advance Wars because I'm not expected to keep all my units alive, but it becomes frustrating in Fire Emblem when it happens to the point where I just look up a guide and be done with it. Not to mention that it's incredibly annoying in general.)

Hong

The Strongest
Want to add that I was actually happy to see that ogre thing in that one clip. It suggests we'll be fighting monsters again like we did in Gaiden and Sacred Stones. Just another avenue for new challenges and unorthodox enemy compositions that don't make sense as common classes.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I would also like some more variety in the Social Lin---... I mean support conversations, like being able to have S supports that don't imply marriage, like best friend or life mentor, maybe depending on age as well.
Want to add that I was actually happy to see that ogre thing in that one clip. It suggests we'll be fighting monsters again like we did in Gaiden and Sacred Stones. Just another avenue for new challenges and unorthodox enemy compositions that don't make sense as common classes.
When i saw that thing i actually thought it would be a trailer for SMTxFE, and i was like "IT'S ALIVE??!!"

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Improvements to FE14?

Some things were mentioned already but:

- Status effects back to add more feeling of surprise to your super-sure-fire tactics. Sleep, Poison, Silence, etc.

- Ranking System to emphasize on less grinding and more to playing with good moves instead.

- Throw away Second Seals, thnx. Let us use the appropriate promotion items again and also rebalance the skills across the board. It made the characters' evolution within the game's progression much more fluid in games like FE7.

- CREATE AN ONLINE VERSUS MODE. Pit those units against each other. (OK it'd be perhaps shallow for not being as reaching to high levels or skills of play like Awakening but...)

Also well, rebalance Pair-Up substantially. I don't want Robin's concepts to turn FE into Pokemon instead with Mega-Evos being PU respectively. :4fox:

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Let us use the appropriate promotion items again
Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree.
As I've played through previous titles, I've found the class-specific promotion items extremely annoying.
It's annoying that the game is basically telling me when I can and cannot upgrade certain units. "This is when you can upgrade one of these guys, and this is when you can upgrade one of these guys. No no no, you have to wait to upgrade your Wyvern Rider! Sorry! Oh, no, you're gonna have to wait on Roy since he's a Lord. Ask again later."
"How much later, game!?"
"I don't think you'll you'll be ready for a really long time."

I prefer the freedom of the Master Seal.
I'll decide who I want upgraded first, thanks.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree.
As I've played through previous titles, I've found the class-specific promotion items extremely annoying.
It's annoying that the game is basically telling me when I can and cannot upgrade certain units. "This is when you can upgrade one of these guys, and this is when you can upgrade one of these guys. No no no, you have to wait to upgrade your Wyvern Rider! Sorry! Oh, no, you're gonna have to wait on Roy since he's a Lord. Ask again later."
"How much later, game!?"
"I don't think you'll you'll be ready for a really long time."

I prefer the freedom of the Master Seal.
I'll decide who I want upgraded first, thanks.
Aah, I guess you have a point. I guess they could just try limiting the use of Master Seals + Reclassing so you can't do it in so many sequences, IDK.

Hong

The Strongest
I rather have promotion and reclassing even more accessible. If you think that makes a game too easy, you haven't played FE12.

Not like that doesn't mean there are no consequence for an early promotion. As for class changing, Awakening's hefty internal level penalty was already more than enough.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's kind of what I desperately WANTED to happen to the Shin Megami Tensei fandom after Persona 4 became big. Sadly, that fandom, from what I've seen at least, now consists of classic Shin Megami Tensei elitists and Persona 3 & 4 fanboys reaching for one another's throats, with no willingness to try other games in the series, or to accept the possibility that maybe, just maybe, games in the style of the classic SMT games and Persona 3/4 can exist at the same time.
if it makes you feel any better, I enjoy both series for what they are, no need to be pricks with one that doesn't like the other (although I'll never go play anything before P2 Innocent Sin).
Just make Master seals more expensive/rarer.
I'd rather go back to the promotion system of PoR/RD as I hate relying on items for such things, but I doubt that'll happen due to the whole reclass aspect Awakening brought

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I rather have promotion and reclassing even more accessible. If you think that makes a game too easy, you haven't played FE12.

Not like that doesn't mean there are no consequence for an early promotion. As for class changing, Awakening's hefty internal level penalty was already more than enough.
I haven't played FE12.

How did promotion work?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I haven't played FE12.

How did promotion work?
Master seals were used to promote every class (in the case of pegasus knights, you also had the option of the Elysian whip, which would promote them to falcon knight instead of the standard dracoknight). They weren't able to be bought anywhere though (except maybe in a secret shop, not sure).

Reclassing was done at the base, before battles. You didn't need an item, but you could only have a given number of units in a single class tree at any time, and units remained at their current level instead of going back to 1.

Hong

The Strongest
My gripe in Awakening is I would have four or so characters at level 20 by chapter 11, but if I get unlucky all I've gotten is one? Master Seal by then. Now, if you favour just one or two units, yeah, I can see the game punishing you for babying. But I'm using a force distributed enough to complete Lunatic-tier content. That's just a bit silly to have my characters stuck at that level, isn't it?

I like units promoting automatically after 20. That is, if you reach level 20, and your EXP bar fills again, you promote, as seen in the Tellius saga. A free promotion for reaching that point is your reward for sticking with that class and not popping a seal early, something that can be left in the game as an option for those who want it. More freedom for a greater range of play styles.

Class changing could go either way. I like the free class changes that FE11 and 12 had, but I don't quite like anyone being able to be any class. Maybe they have free class changes, but within a limited pool of options like Awakening. Or, instead, they have Second Seals like Awakening but not force you to complete chapter 16 to reliably have them. Again, keep in mind that the Awakening model does punish you when you change classes. At least with higher difficulty levels, every time a unit changes class, they permanently have a harder time gaining levels, which is a pretty big deal IMO.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Speaking of promotions, do you guys think they should to back to having limited class changes? Or should still be unlimited like Awakening?

D

Deleted member

My gripe in Awakening is I would have four or so characters at level 20 by chapter 11, but if I get unlucky all I've gotten is one? Master Seal by then. Now, if you favour just one or two units, yeah, I can see the game punishing you for babying. But I'm using a force distributed enough to complete Lunatic-tier content. That's just a bit silly to have my characters stuck at that level, isn't it?

I like units promoting automatically after 20. That is, if you reach level 20, and your EXP bar fills again, you promote, as seen in the Tellius saga. A free promotion for reaching that point is your reward for sticking with that class and not popping a seal early, something that can be left in the game as an option for those who want it. More freedom for a greater range of play styles.

Class changing could go either way. I like the free class changes that FE11 and 12 had, but I don't quite like anyone being able to be any class. Maybe they have free class changes, but within a limited pool of options like Awakening. Or, instead, they have Second Seals like Awakening but not force you to complete chapter 16 to reliably have them. Again, keep in mind that the Awakening model does punish you when you change classes. At least with higher difficulty levels, every time a unit changes class, they permanently have a harder time gaining levels, which is a pretty big deal IMO.
Although I doubt it given that the next FE is going to be on a handheld and thusly "not as big" (content-wise) as the Tellius saga on console, I'd really like to see a return of 3-tier promotion trees like in RD.

That was one of my favorite things about that game.

Hong

The Strongest
Speaking of promotions, do you guys think they should to back to having limited class changes? Or should still be unlimited like Awakening?
Depends on the supporting game design. I'll take either.
Although I doubt it given that the next FE is going to be on a handheld and thusly "not as big" (content-wise) as the Tellius saga on console, I'd really like to see a return of 3-tier promotion trees like in RD.

That was one of my favorite things about that game.
It's also a matter of vertical versus horizontal scaling. That is to say, Radiant Dawn has a lot of more vertical scaling (classes become stronger and stronger), or more horizontal (more emphasis on choice, IE branching classes).

I think a fair compensation is more trainee-type characters, like Gaiden and Sacred Stones.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Master seals were used to promote every class (in the case of pegasus knights, you also had the option of the Elysian whip, which would promote them to falcon knight instead of the standard dracoknight). They weren't able to be bought anywhere though (except maybe in a secret shop, not sure).

Reclassing was done at the base, before battles. You didn't need an item, but you could only have a given number of units in a single class tree at any time, and units remained at their current level instead of going back to 1.
I love your profile Picture.

D

Deleted member

Depends on the supporting game design. I'll take either.
It's also a matter of vertical versus horizontal scaling. That is to say, Radiant Dawn has a lot of more vertical scaling (classes become stronger and stronger), or more horizontal (more emphasis on choice, IE branching classes).

I think a fair compensation is more trainee-type characters, like Gaiden and Sacred Stones.
And Donnel somewhat functioned as a trainee in Awakening of course.

I'd like to see them return more so like they were in SS with more than one character as a "trainee"; making Ross a Berserker in SS was so satisfying.~

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know not of anything that came before Awakening, so here's what I hope they do FE14:

- Make leveling and classing units require less tedious grinding. Make it more streamlined or something. There's a specific point in the game where I crap out because I have to spend hours on every single character just to give them useful skills or make then not get killed 5 seconds into a battle. This is about Chapter 16.

- Give me more money. This is a personal thing, I don't like grinding for gold...also put more interesting items in shops early on so I can experiment without having to bankrupt Ylisse.

- No children characters, please. While all them in Awakening are fine by themselves, they added a whole second layer of micromanagement that I really didn't enjoy.

- Better maps, obviously. I'd love bigger or longer maps, more maps where the focus is to take your team as a group through it (like Five Gemstones in Awakening), more environmental hazards, hiding places, etc.

And that's it, really.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And Donnel somewhat functioned as a trainee in Awakening of course.

I'd like to see them return more so like they were in SS with more than one character as a "trainee"; making Ross a Berserker in SS was so satisfying.~
Thinking about the trainees from SS, I always found it amusing that Amelia can promote into General.

Having smaller/thinner characters walk around in giant suits of armor is something that amuses me.

Granted, it's the case for most knight/general line characters (females in particular) that they are dwarfed by their armor, unless they're one of the bigger guys like Brom, Wallace, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I know not of anything that came before Awakening, so here's what I hope they do FE14:

- Make leveling and classing units require less tedious grinding. Make it more streamlined or something. There's a specific point in the game where I crap out because I have to spend hours on every single character just to give them useful skills or make then not get killed 5 seconds into a battle. This is about Chapter 16.

- Give me more money. This is a personal thing, I don't like grinding for gold...also put more interesting items in shops early on so I can experiment without having to bankrupt Ylisse.

- No children characters, please. While all them in Awakening are fine by themselves, they added a whole second layer of micromanagement that I really didn't enjoy.

- Better maps, obviously. I'd love bigger or longer maps, more maps where the focus is to take your team as a group through it (like Five Gemstones in Awakening), more environmental hazards, hiding places, etc.

And that's it, really.
No children eh?

I appreciate your boldness. Not many people would agree with you.

Top Bottom