• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Also, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS THREAD?!
Rallying, good sir. Enjoy the stat boosts.

I'm still holding out hope for Robin. Considering that the Gematsu leak is likely 100% correct, but also likely details the original planning documents, it is my hope that Chrom was originally intended to replace Ike until Sakurai decided to keep Ike, and so Chrom (being yet another blue-haired swordsman) was swapped out for a different character: the wonderfully unique and potential-filled Robin! Who is kinda-sorta basically the main character of Awakening.
The good news is, we have reason to believe there are still other newcomers Sal either didn't mention or wasn't informed of. And with Fire Emblem's massive resurgence, something that would've started in Japan before the dev team started deciding on the roster after E3 2012, we might just get four Fire Emblem reps.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
And also what are some possible victory poses for Robin? I think it would be cool to see him flipping through a book a book and shutting it and putting it away, or maybe being snuck up on by Tharja and being startled.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I still have hope for Robin; if it does not happen, that is fine, Robin is still my most wanted newcomer and I doubt that will change. We do not always get what we want. I would be happy to see her in the game regardless of whether or not she is playable.

(Just posting this because people thought I was banned, oh Hong, Hong would never do that to his favorite user).

MORBIDALTRUISM WAS ROBIN!!!! IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!!!
I can change gender whenever I want (at the start of a file), it is quite a unique ability that is not worthless at all.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
I still have hope for Robin; if it does not happen, that is fine, Robin is still my most wanted newcomer and I doubt that will change. We do not always get what we want. I would be happy to see her in the game regardless of whether or not she is playable.

(Just posting this because people thought I was banned, oh Hong, Hong would never do that to his favorite user).

I can change gender whenever I want (at the start of a file), it is quite a unique ability that is not worthless at all.
WAIT NO!!! HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO BLIND, HE IS CLEARLY GRIMMA!!!!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would hate to bring up the Gematsu leak; but hypothetically speaking, if it is objectively true, Robin would be an ideal DLC character, would she not? I am fairly confident that we will see her in the game regardless of the circumstances.

WHAT!!!! DONT YOU REALISED WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!! MORBID WILL BRING ABOUT A MILLENIA OF ORDER AND PROSPERITY TO THIS THREAD!!!! DERAILERS LIKE ME WILL DIE OFF!!! WITHOUT THEIR GOD, THE ALREADY ENDAGERED NARWALS WILL GO EXTINCT!!! Save the narwals. KILL MORBIDALTRUISM!!!!
No.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I would hate to bring up the Gematsu leak; but hypothetically speaking, if it is objectively true, Robin would be an ideal DLC character, would she not? I am fairly confident that we will see her in the game regardless of the circumstances.
I would love to see this happen, but I'm not so sure it will. I mean, I would imagine DLC characters would more likely be clones/semi-clones, right? So wouldn't Chrom be a more ideal choice for a DLC character, and wouldn't it be better to have Robin be on the initial roster?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would love to see this happen, but I'm not so sure it will. I mean, I would imagine DLC characters would more likely be clones/semi-clones, right? So wouldn't Chrom be a more ideal choice for a DLC character, and wouldn't it be better to have Robin be on the initial roster?
That is actually a really great point that I had not fully considered; I suppose I will just go back to supporting Robin for the release roster in that event!

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
DLC characters wouldn't have to be clones. If they're worked on after production finishes and aren't released until at least a couple months after release, they'd have time to build them from scratch.

Especially if Sakurai actually did program all of Greninja's animations, singlehandely, in one night.

And the Gematsu leak said they're considering DLC, meaning they probably have ideas for characters they want to add in that didn't make the cut originally. Odds are, if we're talking 5-8 characters then one will be from Fire Emblem.

...But I still stand by the idea that Chrom and Robin both could make it in the vanilla roster.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That is actually a really great point that I had not fully considered; I suppose I will just go back to supporting Robin for the release roster in that event!
As amazing as that would be, there's still the Gematsu leak to consider. Unless it was wrong about Chrom, or if the leak is partially fake, Robin being on the initial roster seems unlikely as well...

Hong

The Strongest
Am I the only one who doesn't want character DLC?

I WANT KELLEM!!!
? Kellam has been in the series since Melee.
Abusing powers 101; Ban someone when you first get promoted.

Hong is going to make an awesome mod.
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Wait, when did Esmoire find a Master Seal?

MorbidAltruism was a girl?
MorbidAltruism is whatever I want them to be for the night.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who doesn't want character DLC?
I only want it if it is free.

Otherwise. No. I do not want it. And I will be on the pissed side if it is paid, because it's a cheap move to make new characters that are put in via DLC cost money because characters are the essence of fighting games.

Which is why I like the guy behind Tekken's view on on character DLC, he puts the characters up for free.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I only want it if it is free.

Otherwise. No. I do not want it. And I will be on the pissed side if it is paid, because it's a cheap move to make new characters that are put in via DLC cost money because characters are the essence of fighting games.

Which is why I like the guy behind Tekken's view on on character DLC, he puts the characters up for free.
100% agreed. I wouldn't mind paid stage DLC, but if there are any characters I hope they're free.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin will show up in Smash Bros...

And her stage entrance will be cruisin' in on her Mercedes-Benz. :denzel:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
treehouse stream revealed that Miis are toggable through the menu and replace the random button. Leakerbros said the same thing in his post as well...

So there is still hope. A small shimmer of light; but it's there nonetheless
When was this? I don't recall there being any mention of Miis at the treehouse event... Can you point me to the footage that has that statement? This changes a few things hmmmm.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Robin's chances are greater than Chrom's imo. I don't like the idea of DLC characters. Seems very greedy. Plus, how would they announce them.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Robin's chances are greater than Chrom's imo. I don't like the idea of DLC characters. Seems very greedy. Plus, how would they announce them.
I hate that Capcom ruined the idea of DLC. DLC is meant for the post-game additional content. If we get more characters than we would normally would, what is so bad about it? I would think that the smash DLC would be made after the game is released and give us more stages and characters to play as. It isn't a bad thing, and I don't see how it is greedy.

Hong

The Strongest
DLC is okay when it is a response, as opposed to preemptive.

Response DLC:
"Okay. The game has been out for a while and this is the fan feedback. They still really want such and such, and we have some cool ideas to make it happen."

Preemptive DLC:
"Okay. Our game is done. While it ships, let's discuss a planned timeline for the rest of the stuff we didn't put in the game."
Of course, some companies literally not only have finished the content, but already have it on the disc.

Is there any other kind?
Robin, being of fel blood, of course is subject to some of the most polarizing portrayals. A lot of art out there with a possessed Robin covered in the blood of her allies.

Unless I am misunderstanding your question and want more Robin art.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I can't imagine Nintendo would do preemptive DLC. Plus, Sakurai has said there aren't plans yet. I see no reason to worry on that front.

I could possibly see some DLC happening well after launch.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't imagine Nintendo would do preemptive DLC. Plus, Sakurai has said there aren't plans yet. I see no reason to worry on that front.

I could possibly see some DLC happening well after launch.
I think the idea is "they are thinking about the possibility of DLC" not that it "WILL" happen.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

This is a survey on another fire emblem rep (mostly Robin/Lucina).

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven

This is a survey on another fire emblem rep (mostly Robin/Lucina).
Seems a little low I.M.O. I'd say about 45% but of course the characters have been chosen well before last year's E3 so it's not like we can change it all now.

/supporting Robin anyway.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'd rank him as 25% myself. :p

Where are you getting these poll results from?
Here.

Also you may think that Bandana Dee seems like a super stretch, but come over to his character page and we have some substantial evidence for his inclusion.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I voted...I want to say 50% on Robin and 25% on Bandana Dee. And hey, we've had curveballs already. Who expected Greninja or Miss Fit?

I think Robin's chances now depend on how big the final roster is.
-If the roster is only 47 characters, Robin's chances are low.
-If the roster is 51 characters, Robin's chances are moderate to above average.
-According to Sal, DLC characters will be a thing. If Robin is not on the initial roster, his/her chance of being a DLC character will depend on how many characters they plan to make. If it's 6 or more, there's a substantial chance of one being a Fire Emblem character, and then it's most likely a matter of beating out Roy. Nostalgia versus variety. Hopefully the latter would win out.

You know what I haven't seen so far? Moveset ideas that include alternate moves. It's a big deal, since now we know every character has three versions of each special, and Robin in particular could get a lot of mileage out of it. Just for example:
(Disclaimer: I'm out of practice, so a lot of statistics are relative and would need to be reviewed by someone who's been playing recently.)

Side-B (1): Thoron
Robin spins once in place, shouts, and extends his arm forward. A ray of crackling lightning fires out from his palm across the arena, and very quickly reaches a distance just over the length of Battlefield with a height equal to half of Ganondorf's Brawl height. Thoron charges over time, similar to R.O.B.'s Robo Beam; if used in quick succession it decays to as little as half its height and 1/5 its full distance. Damage and knockback are moderate; it can kill in a pinch, but its main use is as a long distance poke and a way to threaten opponents from a distance and force them to move where you want them to. Much stronger than Robo Beam, but ideally it'd be balanced out by being more telegraphed. It also, of course, has an electric effect when it hits.

Side-B (2): Arcfire
Very similar in function to Thoron, since it's a variant. Robin instead shoots a stream of fire from his hand. Deals less damage than Thoron, but recharges a little faster, has a slightly taller hitbox, and has a fire effect.

Side-B (3): Forseti
Completing the trio is...the other Anima element. Robin fires off a cylinder of violently swirling, mint-green air. Takes a little longer to recharge than Thoron and travels notably slower than the other two versions...but has the height of Arcfire, the damage of Thoron, and enough additional knockback to be a viable KO move!
Feel free to critique. It's rough around the edge, but the concept is sound, right?

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I voted...I want to say 50% on Robin and 25% on Bandana Dee. And hey, we've had curveballs already. Who expected Greninja or Miss Fit?

I think Robin's chances now depend on how big the final roster is.
-If the roster is only 47 characters, Robin's chances are low.
-If the roster is 51 characters, Robin's chances are moderate to above average.
-According to Sal, DLC characters will be a thing. If Robin is not on the initial roster, his/her chance of being a DLC character will depend on how many characters they plan to make. If it's 6 or more, there's a substantial chance of one being a Fire Emblem character, and then it's most likely a matter of beating out Roy. Nostalgia versus variety. Hopefully the latter would win out.

You know what I haven't seen so far? Moveset ideas that include alternate moves. It's a big deal, since now we know every character has three versions of each special, and Robin in particular could get a lot of mileage out of it. Just for example:

Feel free to critique. It's rough around the edge, but the concept is sound, right?
I put Bandana Dee at 55% just because that it the Sal leak doesn't drastically decrease his chances unlike Robin. I hate that Robin is unlikely, because I really don't like Chrom. But I don't think BD is as low as 25%. If you look at BD's support thread you may think his chances will go up a bit.

Anyway, back to Robin. Robin was originally a 65% for me, however the fact that Sal leak seems VERY true. I really am doubting Robin's chances. He is more around a 40% now for me.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I put Bandana Dee at 55% just because that it the Sal leak doesn't drastically decrease his chances unlike Robin. I hate that Robin is unlikely, because I really don't like Chrom. But I don't think BD is as low as 25%. If you look at BD's support thread you may think his chances will go up a bit.

Anyway, back to Robin. Robin was originally a 65% for me, however the fact that Sal leak seems VERY true. I really am doubting Robin's chances. He is more around a 40% now for me.
Bandana Dee is actually playable in some games, is his own character (unlike Toad), and kinda becoming Kirby's Luigi.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Tharja looks way too happy to wear those clothes :D

If we get DLC Characters they better not be clones. Where's the point in keeping the development team together if you're just going with the lazy option?
Also, I have to agree that the Tekken way of DLC Characters probably is the best way to do it in a fighting game (patching them in for free). The only way I'd be happy to pay for characters would be if they came in a rather large add-on pack that also contained stages, maybe a new game mode and a very reasonable price. And that's mainly because I kind of miss expansions the way older PC games did them.
Actually, the Characters should probably be patched in for free regardless in that case, just to keep things balanced.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tharja looks way too happy to wear those clothes :D

If we get DLC Characters they better not be clones. Where's the point in keeping the development team together if you're just going with the lazy option?
Also, I have to agree that the Tekken way of DLC Characters probably is the best way to do it in a fighting game (patching them in for free). The only way I'd be happy to pay for characters would be if they came in a rather large add-on pack that also contained stages, maybe a new game mode and a very reasonable price. And that's mainly because I kind of miss expansions the way older PC games did them.
Actually, the Characters should probably be patched in for free regardless in that case, just to keep things balanced.
If they were packaged with a stage and the like along with a few event matches, that would work well.

Top Bottom