• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
So I just read something interesting in the Chrom thread, so I figured - why not shamelessly steal the idea?

We have seen a lot of cool movesets suggested in this thread, but what if Robin had 12 moves like Rosalina and Miis? I feel like he/she'd be a prime target for that treatment!

Don't want any Sword based moves in "your" Robin? Go ahead! Don't like magic all that much? Replace most, if not all specials by physical moves with different weapons!
Just to think of the possibilities makes my mouth water...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So I just read something interesting in the Chrom thread, so I figured - why not shamelessly steal the idea?

We have seen a lot of cool movesets suggested in this thread, but what if Robin had 12 moves like Palutena and Miis? I feel like he/she'd be a prime target for that treatment!
Yep. With access to a variety of different weapons, spells, and skills, Robin would be fully capable of pulling off 12 unique specials. Heck, if they were to base Robin's specials off of the skills he/she can get in the game, it would actually be a pretty accurate representation of the skill mechanic in Awakening.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It sounds like a neat idea. I'm not sure if it'd work out, though. Especially since we're probably getting Chrom, but hey, I'm hoping the info he got was inaccurate and its actually Robin (or it changed during development)! :D

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Yep. With access to a variety of different weapons, spells, and skills, Robin would be fully capable of pulling off 12 unique specials. Heck, if they were to base Robin's specials off of the skills he/she can get in the game, it would actually be a pretty accurate representation of the skill mechanic in Awakening.
Definitely. That would be awesome! We could even see a couple light or ice spells return to reference older FE games.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Robin and Shulk thread are currently having a power struggle.

...Shulk's winning.
Still impressive Robin caught up to Shulk, though. :D

I'm really, really hoping that the Gematsu leaker got the info wrong and merely thought it was Chrom who'd be playable from Awakening. Or that they decided to change to Robin, because Robin would easily be a far better and more original pick. Plus, white-haired female design would probably be the default. :D (Female just to contrast from Ike and Marth. Male would obviously be an option, too.)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So after I wrote that example last night, I looked at a couple moveset ideas we already have and within minutes I had enough other ideas for a full list of specials.

Robin would wield a Silver Sword as his main weapon, with an unmarked tome strapped to the inside of his coat that he'd take out to cast a variety of spells (and as kind of an aesthetic cheat, so he wouldn't be pulling a bunch of different tomes out of hammer space). His playstyle would emphasize having options at any time, allowing him to control the battlefield and the flow of the fight itself, and would both encourage and reward being one step ahead of opponents. I refer to Robin with male pronouns here for consistency--the female version of Robin would obviously have the exact same move.

(This is a variant-based moveset--the alternate specials are based on the default ones. A lot of relative terms are used because I've been out of practice and I don't want to accidentally make a move too strong or weak. And special thanks to Hong/Esmoire for inspiration for the Neutral and Down Specials.)

Neutral Special (1): Elfire
Robin wields his tome in one arm, extends the other arm forward, and a cluster of flame materializes in front of it. The spell's size is modest--not huge, but big enough. (You know that pic comparing two sizes of Lucario's Aura Sphere? It's a little bigger than the small one.) As soon as the spell appears, Robin pushes it forward with the speed of Din's Fire...but after half a second, it starts slowing down drastically, and by the time another full second has passed, it'll have stopped completely and will hang in the air for another 2-2.5 seconds before dissipating. If B is held at the beginning, Robin can use the left stick to guide the spell's trajectory--it isn't full control; more like nudging it in the direction pressed, but enough where an experienced Robin will be able to make it go more or less where he wants. When the player lets go of B, the spell continues on its current path, and Robin can create another one. Up to three Elfires can be on the field at a time; if three are in play when the player presses B, Robin performs the starting animation but nothing appears. Damage and knockback are mid-low, with a fire effect.

Elfire is best used to trap opponents and provoke them into moving where you want...but the damage is enough to be worth landing a hit.

Neutral Special (2): Elthunder
Instead of fire, Robin summons a ball of lightning. This version deals a little more damage and knockback than Elfire (and an electric effect, of course), but to compensate, it's more difficult to guide.

Neutral Special (3): Nosferatu
Plenty of canon movesets take some creative liberties, and hey, Robin can wield dark tomes if he changes to the proper class. This version summons an orb of swirling darkness that deals, naturally, dark-elemental damage. Unlike the other two versions, only two can be on the field at a time. The charges are smaller and as hard to control as Elthunder...but deal slightly more damage than Elthunder, and even heal Robin for half the damage dealt! Knockback starts out greater than the other two--to make them harder to chain hits between--but scales more slowly, becoming closer to Elfire's knockback at higher percents.

Side Special (1): Thoron
Robin spins once in place, shouts, and extends his arm forward. A crackling ray of lightning fires out from his palm across the arena, and very quickly reaches a distance 1 1/2 times the length of Battlefield with a height equal to half of Ganondorf's Brawl height. Thoron charges over time, similar to R.O.B.'s Robo Beam; if used in quick succession it decays to as little as half its height and 1/6 its full distance. Damage and knockback are moderate at full charge, scaling back the lower the charge.

Thoron can kill in a pinch, but its main use is as a long distance poke and a way to threaten opponents from a distance and force them to move somewhere more favorable to you or dodge/shield and give you a chance to capitalize. Much stronger than Robo Beam, but ideally it'd be balanced out by being more telegraphed. It also, of course, has an electric effect when it hits.

Side Special (2): Arcfire
Robin shoots a stream of fire from his hand. Deals less damage than Thoron, but recharges a little faster, has a slightly taller hitbox, and has a fire effect.

Side Special (3): Forseti
Completing the trio is...the other Anima element. Robin fires off a cylinder of violently swirling, blue-green air. Takes a little longer to recharge than Thoron and travels notably slower than the other two versions...but has the height of Arcfire, the damage of Thoron, and enough additional knockback to be a viable edgeguarding tool!

Up Special (1): Rexcalibur
Robin raises his arms to his sides, summoning a vortex of spinning blue-green air around him that rises upward and carries him with it. Anyone caught in the wind takes multiple small hits--think Mach Tornado sans pulling the enemy in. Rises at moderate speed--about what Squirtle's Up-B did in Brawl--and lasts long enough to give Robin distance 1 1/3 the height of Marth's Dolphin Slash. Robin can move himself and the vortex left and right to an extent. When the move ends, Robin cannot use other special moves until he touches the ground, but he can use regular aerials and dodges.

Robin's recovery move lets him cover some distance while giving him some breathing room to do so. The attack has low-ish priority, though, so non-physical projectiles or a well timed disjointed hit will knock him out of it. Plan accordingly!

Up Special (2): Wilderwind
Rexcalibur with an offensive-minded twist. The vortex is lime green in color, and smaller, making Robin that much easier to knock out of the attack. However, its hitboxes chain together more easily, and it finishes with a powerful final hit!

Up Special (3): Celica's Gale
Want to have more control when you need it most? A rose-tinted vortex surrounds Robin that gives out half as early as Rexcalibur...but then a second one forms around him, allowing him to re-angle his trajectory or even increase his momentum in the direction he's already moving in! There's a cost, though; it doesn't rise as quickly and therefore only gets Robin about 3/4 of Rexcalibur's vertical distance.

Down Special (1): Ignis
Robin stands in place, opens his tome, and focuses as the B button is held. Over the span of two seconds, he begins to glow azure blue. When fully charged, he slams the tome shut and a sound rings out...you know, like the one when a critical hit or a skill activates. The next attack Robin lands will deal 1.5x its normal damage and have increased knockback!

...And the obligatory cloud of flower petals, of course.

Not every Fire Emblem character needs a Down-B counter. Ignis gives Robin a way to prepare for his next attack during a break in the action. If you've sent your opponent flying, will you follow them to finish the job, or focus to ensure your next attack is the killing blow?

Down Special (2): Solidarity
Robin begins to focus, but this time he glows a brilliant gold (actual gold, not yellow). Once charged, Robin gains minor knockback resistance for the next 10 seconds, and his attacks deal slightly more knockback themselves!

Down Special (3): Lifetaker
Robin focuses again, this time glowing a sickly shade of green. Once charged, the next attack he lands will heal him for half the damage dealt! If it's a Nosferatu spell, it heals him for all the damage dealt!

(Yes, I know this functions closer to Sol, but Lifetaker felt better thematically. That, and it comes from another sword+tome class. >_>)

Final Smash: Rally Spectrum
As he channels the limitless power of a Smash Ball, the screen focuses on Robin and freezes in place. Robin gestures and shouts one of his critical hit lines, and an aura surrounds him that shines in every color imaginable. For 20 seconds, Robin gains moderate boosts to movement speed, damage, knockback, and weight (that is, launch resistance, not fall speed).

Sound underpowered? But in team battles, any of Robin's allies also receive the same boosts!

(And, if you trigger it when the crowd is chanting Robin's name, they'll shout the crit line with him! We've all done that before, haven't we?)

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Honestly, while there isn't one big chance for Robin in the game right now, it's multiple smaller chances.
Gematsu leak guy got the name wrong. Gematsu leak is false. Both Chrom and Robin are in. DLC.

Though until we have new info I feel we have talked about the chances more than enough. It took us like 2 or 3 pages to shoo out most of the doomsayers and to rally those that still had some fight left in them.
Time to get back to the fun!

Delzethin: I feel that moveset would be actually a bad representation of Robin in the 12 specials style... It's pretty much just spells and Robin can do so much more when not limited.
Then again you may have written that only with the customizable specials in mind, not the 12 unique specials like Rosalina and Miis have. In that case ignore the above.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I wrote them to be a base move with two variants, like most of the cast. Like I said, I came up with 80% of them last night, before any talk of giving Robin 12 specials. >_>

They did end up with greater changes than most of the alternate specials we know of, though...at least aesthetically.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Still impressive Robin caught up to Shulk, though. :D

I'm really, really hoping that the Gematsu leaker got the info wrong and merely thought it was Chrom who'd be playable from Awakening. Or that they decided to change to Robin, because Robin would easily be a far better and more original pick. Plus, white-haired female design would probably be the default. :D (Female just to contrast from Ike and Marth. Male would obviously be an option, too.)
I'm actually hoping more for Robin, too. I really, really like Chrom, but I like Robin as a character in Smash a lot more.

Ah, I remember the days when I couldn't decide between the two. And now, because of this thread, I now have a preference for Robin.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
It would be funny if instead of ID purpose on arena ferox we got ID hope. :p but that would support Lucina...
It would be funny, except people have already confirmed that Id-Purpose plays on Arena Ferox. Maybe that would be the second song? I sure hope so. I like it a lot...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I've been wondering something for a little while: What arguments are there for Roy's inclusion other than "he was in Melee"? Quite a few roster predictions I've seen have him either in or as DLC, and that sole reason seems to be why. Does he have much going for him other than nostalgia?

Because if Robin doesn't make the main roster, Roy would probably be his main competition for a DLC spot.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've been wondering something for a little while: What arguments are there for Roy's inclusion other than "he was in Melee"? Quite a few roster predictions I've seen have him either in or as DLC, and that sole reason seems to be why. Does he have much going for him other than nostalgia?

Because if Robin doesn't make the main roster, Roy would probably be his main competition for a DLC spot.
Because a lot of people liked Roy in Melee. I for one think that if Chrom isn't in the main game, Roy is the mostlikely DLC character for Fire Emblem. Actually he's probably the mostlikely DLC character in general from FE; said to say, if Chrom's playable, I don't think we'll get Robin as DLC, and visa-versa. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Because a lot of people liked Roy in Melee. I for one think that if Chrom isn't in the main game, Roy is the mostlikely DLC character for Fire Emblem. Actually he's probably the mostlikely DLC character in general from FE; said to say, if Chrom's playable, I don't think we'll get Robin as DLC, and visa-versa. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
Assuming Mewtwo comes back in the initial release, Roy is without a doubt number one for Melee DLC candidate, if not DLC period. A lot of people love him, be it his gameplay. pretty boy looks (all those yaoi pairings...), or fire motif, he's still quite popular.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lol "said to say", I meant "sad." Anyway, I think Mewtwo is more likely to get in the original release and Jiggly will be DLC. That's just my thought. Roy is very likely to be DLC as well, which is why I really do hope that they decided to pick Robin instead of Chrom.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

I can't answer this fairly since I have never played Roy's game, but I think the only reason why people want Roy back IS that he was in Melee. I liked him back then, but only because I like the general playstyle of Marth and him. Aside from some fire effects and slight tweaks every clone had I don't think there was anything that stood out about him.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
I'm actually hoping more for Robin, too. I really, really like Chrom, but I like Robin as a character in Smash a lot more.

Ah, I remember the days when I couldn't decide between the two. And now, because of this thread, I now have a preference for Robin.
Stangely, my first request for a fea rep was donnel, simply because he perfectly represents fea. The underdog with low confidence that ended up becoming one of the best! I still prefer robin though.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
With Mii's and Palutena getting completely-unique moves from the customization thingy, it means that other characters can too. There are a few characters that can benefit from this, among them being Robin, as s/he's a sword-magic mix, meaning they can give us sword moves and magic moves for each special and then something random/in-between/a combination for the third option. It just makes sense, haha, and would lend itself to making Robin a far more unique character than Chrom - plus, getting both genders like with Villager, Wii/Hii Fit Trainer, and Mii's provides a female to the roster without slighting the all-male FE rep ratio (technically; not that that's an actual thing, btw).

Plus white hair. I mean, c'mon, that's awesome.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't answer this fairly since I have never played Roy's game, but I think the only reason why people want Roy back IS that he was in Melee. I liked him back then, but only because I like the general playstyle of Marth and him. Aside from some fire effects and slight tweaks every clone had I don't think there was anything that stood out about him.
That is why. If Roy wasn't in Melee he likely wouldn't be nearly so popular, hell, Roy was complete **** in Sword of Seals/Binding Blade mainly because of his extremely late promotion.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I was the same way, more or less. I just liked Roy's design more than Marth's, and I liked the fire effect. But by the time Brawl was announced, I had played Path of Radiance--my first Fire Emblem game--and I started wanting to see Ike in Brawl instead of Roy because of how he wouldn't be a clone. Turns out, Ike was the first newcomer shown that wasn't in the trailer...and Roy missed the cut, however close it was.

I've come to a conclusion. I think the main reason for so much of the Roy support is because it comes mostly from people who only know a little about Fire Emblem and don't realize other options are there. And those who claim he has first dibs to be 4th because he was on the bubble in Brawl may not realize that Robin is a far better option in terms of character variety and representing the franchise as a whole.

It'd especially be important if it came down to Roy vs. Robin for DLC, since it'd be very, very difficult to keep Roy from feeling too similar to any of Marth, Ike, and Chrom...not to mention how it'd make Fire Emblem's entire representation pure swordsmen (albeit one with a greatsword, but the point remains).

Hopefully the developers would make a more informed decision. They seem to have a pretty damn good head on their shoulders this time around, at least.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I keep seeing comments that treat custom moves as a selective thing, EVERY character is getting customizable special moves that aren't usable with anyone online (for the sake of balancing). The direct may have been misleading saying that "the Miis have customizable moves" but those are the same as what was shown off in the direct months before it. If Robin gets in they will get special moves just like everyone else.

As a side note if some characters didn't get it there would be a lot of hate for such favouritism.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I keep seeing comments that treat custom moves as a selective thing, EVERY character is getting customizable special moves that aren't usable with anyone online (for the sake of balancing). The direct may have been misleading saying that "the Miis have customizable moves" but those are the same as what was shown off in the direct months before it. If Robin gets in they will get special moves just like everyone else.

As a side note if some characters didn't get it there would be a lot of hate for such favouritism.
What they're saying is that Palutena and Mii have entirely different attacks, while most characters just have slight alterations to their regular specials. That's the difference.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
What they're saying is that Palutena and Mii have entirely different attacks, while most characters just have slight alterations to their regular specials. That's the difference.
We have barely seen the custom moves as a whole. We saw images for mii brawler, a bunch of Palutena's skills (which not all have been mapped and a couple do look like potential smash attacks) and all we have to compare it to is a very small selection. We know little on the subject so why are people jumping to conclusions so early? Mario's alternatives do look really lame admittedly but we have seen Kirby's Ice breath versus inhale for example.

EDIT: The better the source material the more likely for more diverse moves. Robin won't be left as a simple Thoron versus Thunder scenario unless they cut corners for a release date and based on the fact they stated they were on the "debugging" phase that seems very unlikely to be the case.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We have barely seen the custom moves as a whole. We saw images for mii brawler, a bunch of Palutena's skills (which not all have been mapped and a couple do look like potential smash attacks) and all we have to compare it to is a very small selection. We know little on the subject so why are people jumping to conclusions so early? Mario's alternatives do look really lame admittedly but we have seen Kirby's Ice breath versus inhale for example.

EDIT: The better the source material the more likely for more diverse moves. Robin won't be left as a simple Thoron versus Thunder scenario unless they cut corners for a release date and based on the fact they stated they were on the "debugging" phase that seems very unlikely to be the case.
Haven't you checked the website? It says right on the website that only Mii's and Palutena have completely different attacks. Now, that said, we could have other characters we don't know about that have a different set of attacks, too, but so far of the known characters its only Mii and Palutena.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Haven't you checked the website? It says right on the website that only Mii's and Palutena have completely different attacks. Now, that said, we could have other characters we don't know about that have a different set of attacks, too, but so far of the known characters its only Mii and Palutena.
Jump Glide versus Explosive Jump is just as different as inhale versus ice breath.

EDIT: Don't know why mii fighters/palutena are a supposed special case but that doesn't change how much of a difference those 'variants' can make.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Hey @ Delzethin Delzethin . Those are some pretty awesome moves! Sorry I have not given you feedback and sorry to everyone else that I have not been as active in this thread. I do read everything, at the very least.
Jump Glide versus Explosive Jump is just as different as inhale versus ice breath.

EDIT: Don't know why mii fighters/palutena are a supposed special case but that doesn't change how much of a difference those 'variants' can make.
No. It's not just as different.

The Ice Breath and Inhale have the same animation and similar areas of effect. The difference between that and something like the Mii Fighters is an outright assault attack can be replaced by a projectile, or in the case of Palutena a Counter can be replaced by an entirely different function as there was nothing else there like it.

Palutena and Mii Fighters have completely and distinctively tooled specials for their 12 options.

The other characters get largely statistical alterations of existing specials.

Both can have different proficiencies and applications, but it doesn't change the fact the method and many of the assets/animation are identical. Sakurai very specifically cited it as a feature of those characters at the round table, and the website very specifically highlights those characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey @ Delzethin Delzethin . Those are some pretty awesome moves! Sorry I have not given you feedback and sorry to everyone else that I have not been as active in this thread. I do read everything, at the very least.

The Ice Breath and Inhale have the same animation and similar areas of effect. The difference between that and something like the Mii Fighters is an outright assault attack can be replaced by a projectile, or in the case of Palutena a Counter can be replaced by an entirely different function as there was nothing else there like it.

Palutena and Mii Fighters have completely and distinctively tooled specials for their 12 options.

Both can have different proficiencies and applications, but it doesn't change the fact the method and many of the assets/animation are identical. Sakurai very specifically cited it as a feature of those characters at the round table, and the website very specifically highlights those characters.
Exactly my point. Palutena and Mii are both unique in that regard. That said, it is POSSIBLE Palutena/Mii aren't the only ones. They're just the only ones we know about to date so they're the ones pointed out on the website.

Although I kinda doubt that'd be the case. A lot of the effects related to how magic in FE works means that the magic themselves can be switched around without actually changing the animations too much. So I think Robin could use totally different magic spells but it still wouldn't be as unique as Palutena/Mii's alterations.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ah, Robin would be included in the game as a Tactician/Grandmaster...I say this because I just had a thought of using Aversa's Night to do damage and get restored, kind of like some of Ivysaur's sweetpotted moves in PM :troll: No access to Dark Tomes sadly.

I'm still really hoping for Robin's inclusion, as a character he/she would be a shame to pass up on. So much potential.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven

Completely ignore my point. Mechanically speaking it is a HUGE difference regardless of whether it uses the 'same animation', and I have stated before that we haven't seen the whole spectrum of these variants.

The example I used for Palutena (Jump Glide vs. Explosive Jump) is as simple as an initial PBAE versus Peach-float after-effect. Ice breath acts kind of like Ice Climbers Down + B freeze (as far as I can tell) versus the ability to carry some one around or copy an ability.

Getting back to the point you can't disregard the impact of these variations and write them off just yet just because they are re-using animations. Although it is a shame knowing this I can't expect other tools for Link (Bombchus would've been a hilarious alteration to bombs but I guess that it's fine as an item.).

EDIT: Probably don't want to get too far off of the main purpose of this thread. >.>

Last edited:

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977

During the roundtable Sakurai showed more of them. He showed all of Mario's, and they basically were just a little different, he had fast fire ball, slow one, electric cape, wind cape and so on. Ice breath is pretty much the same. Marth and DK's moves were slightly changed as well. Sakurai made a point to highlight that Mii fighters and Palutenas special attacks are not derivatives of normal specials, but completely new, unlike the others.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It seems like for most characters, their alternate specials are at least based on their default ones. While some aspects of the attack change--Kirby breathing ice instead of inhaling, or Pit's arrows auto-looping--it remains the same basic thing--Kirby using his mouth somehow, Pit shooting an arrow, etc. Palutena and the Mii Fighters are different in that their alternate specials are not variants and are completely original.

The special moveset I wrote up was variant-based...admittedly, mostly because I had no clue what I'd do for 12 unique specials. >_>

(I also edited the list to clarify a little at the beginning...and at the end I threw in what'd be an ingame easter egg.)

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I wish Serenity had some justification for being in the game. It's my favourite version of her theme song.

I didn't know you were an Etrian Odyssey fan.
The Hexer is my spirit animal.

Top Bottom