• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well I guess I know the most obsessive FE fan in this thread atm.
Or just the one with the best memory. :p
Probably just the best memory.

All the characters are pretty distinctive, so matching their quotes with the character isn't difficult for me. :p

The hard part was remembering how to spell their names. I'm looking at you, Kjelle.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Subspace is probably the best fighting game crossover story out there in modern times.

-Injustice is probably the second best thing, but a lot of it is explained in the separate comics, which sucks.
-MVC3 did have a detailed plot, but it was an excuse plot for the most part. Not given any focus at all except for "Galactus is at it because we made Capcom fight Marvel, stop him". Completely ignored in UMVC3 as well, except for the introduction which 99% of the time you skip.
-PSASBR's closest thing to a plot is the individual story for each character as they seek the power Polygon Man holds, which follows a Motivation cutscene-->Fight Everyone--->Fight Designated Rival--->Fight Polygon Man and win---->Declare how they'll use the power formula every time. And it's boring.

So Subspace is still better.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Subspace is probably the best fighting game crossover story out there in modern times.

-Injustice is probably the second best thing, but a lot of it is explained in the separate comics, which sucks.
-MVC3 did have a detailed plot, but it was an excuse plot for the most part. Not given any focus at all except for "Galactus is at it because we made Capcom fight Marvel, stop him". Completely ignored in UMVC3 as well, except for the introduction which 99% of the time you skip.
-PSASBR's closest thing to a plot is the individual story for each character as they seek the power Polygon Man holds, which follows a Motivation cutscene-->Fight Everyone--->Fight Designated Rival--->Fight Polygon Man and win---->Declare how they'll use the power formula every time. And it's boring.

So Subspace is still better.
Speaking of giant Crossover games, as much as I love Project X Zone, holy hell does it have an irrational "story". It's probably the most ridiculously written story I've ever played through and I've played some weird freaking games.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Speaking of giant Crossover games, as much as I love Project X Zone, holy hell does it have an irrational "story". It's probably the most ridiculously written story I've ever played through and I've played some weird freaking games.
Haven't played it myself apart from the demo, and I disliked the gameplay.

I can't comment on the story, but even if I could, I was narrowing it down to fighting games, since the vast majority of them have excuse plots and Subspace is a full fledged story; which is also canon to Smash, setting it apart from anything else.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Project X Zone did not really HAVE a story.

It was basically a paper-thin excuse for cross-over, and that was the extent of the plot.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Excuse plot like the rest, then.

I should give it a watch sometime to see how bland it is.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Ah Project X Zone. A decently fun cross over game with some good music, alright gameplay and a story that was pretty convoluted. Still enjoyed it though lol XD I guess you can call it one of those guilty pleasure type of games. :p

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Funny thing is that everyone here seems to love Subspace Emissary.
Even outside ths thread i see people praising it now that is gone.
Yet back when Brawl came out it was bashed to no end with people saying that it wasn't well fleshed out, took much development time, was really bland, etc...
I guess that could be extended to Brawl in general now though, i guess we could call it the Smash cycle :4dedede:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yet back when Brawl came out it was bashed to no end with people saying that it wasn't well fleshed out, took much development time, was really bland, etc...
I guess that could be extended to Brawl in general now though, i guess we could call it the Smash cycle :4dedede:
I wasn't around during Brawl speculation as I was just a wee lad, I can't say i dont see why people would think that though, it is pretty repetitive but I've always enjoyed it, especially the cutscenes.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
I never played Brawl, so I can't comment on it's fighting system, but I do prefer Sm4sh over Melee if just because I can actually use Ness and I have Robin there
To be honest, though, I like the idea of a story mode :v I have no idea why they didn't add one in Sm4sh. It could be either because of time restraints (if so, there's a probability they might add it via dlc) or simply because they thought doing the story would be a hassle.
Honestly, as fun as Smash Run is, It wouldn't beat an epic crossover story :v and let's not even comment on Smash Tour.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yeah, I remember back when people bashed Subspace Emissary on Smashboards and there seemed to be only a small minority that really loved it. Now however, it's the complete opposite. Luckily, I was a big fan of the Subspace Emissary single player mode both back then and now. It has it's flaw's, there's no denying that, but it was a fun romp nevertheless. And of course, the cutscenes were a fanficiton writers dream come true..............along with almost every other Nintendo fan. XD

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Yeah, I remember back when people bashed Subspace Emissary on Smashboards and there seemed to be only a small minority that really loved it. Now however, it's the complete opposite. Luckily, I was a big fan of the Subspace Emissary single player mode both back then and now. It has it's flaw's, there's no denying that, but it was a fun romp nevertheless. And of course, the cutscenes were a fanficiton writers dream come true..............along with almost every other Nintendo fan. XD
Honestly Subspace is one of the major reasons I keep coming back to Brawl. Also it had some of the most awesome and hilarious cutscenes ever. Shout outs to Captain Falcon driving in, jumping twenty feet out of the Blue Falcon to deliver a FALCON PAWNCH! to a giant R.O.B., before skidding to a halt doing a majestic pose, slaughtering dozens of Olimar's Pikmin in the process.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yeah, though i admit i really enjoy Smash Run and Crazy orders, but everything else is just meh at best.
Agreed. Those were the two best modes in Smash 4, no doubt about it. :kirby:

Honestly Subspace is one of the major reasons I keep coming back to Brawl. Also it had some of the most awesome and hilarious cutscenes ever. Shout outs to Captain Falcon driving in, jumping twenty feet out of the Blue Falcon to deliver a FALCON PAWNCH! to a giant R.O.B., before skidding to a halt doing a majestic pose, slaughtering dozens of Olimar's Pikmin in the process.
Hahahaha! XD It was awesome and hilarious cutscenes like that one that really made the Subspace Emissary shine. That and I enjoyed the multiplayer aspect with friends and family. :sheep:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since it's obviously everyone's favorite part of SSE, what's your favorite cutscene in Brawl?
Mine has to be this:
It's just perfect in how it so effectively characterizes Lucario, Snake, and Meta Knight's actions in 30 seconds.
Lucario beckoning Snake at the end is a great touch as well.

Close second is Sonic's appearance because he's my childhood hero and he just wrecked the final boss.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Subspace was great and had this wonderful scene because of it.

Edit: Looks like I answered Kenith's question before even knowing about it.

Edit 2: While Falcon's intro scene is entertaining, this scene would probably be my favorite overall.

There's so much going on and I love the amount of action in it. You get so much progression as well that happens in such a short time.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Since it's obviously everyone's favorite part of SSE, what's your favorite cutscene in Brawl?
Mine has to be this:
It's just perfect in how it so effectively characterizes Lucario, Snake, and Meta Knight's actions in 30 seconds.

Close second is Sonic's appearance because he's my childhood hero and he just wrecked the final boss.
Besides the Captain Falcon cutscene where he slaughters a bunch of Pikmin after making his grand entrance and the incredibly, awesome all out attack on the Subspace cannon, I'd have to go for this cutscene as my favourite just for the overall balance of humour and action. ^w^

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Hey everybody, a tired as hell Chapter Serf here with another round of "Random ass stuff in the Robin Social Thread"!

Starting off, in regards to character designs of Hyrule Warriors:

I'd sleep with either of them. What's the problem here?

In regards to S-Support Ranks between various users:
Nothing more needs to be said.

In regards to SSB4 alternative costumes:
Just give me Young Link alternates to Tlink and open up the color options of Robin for both Robins and I'll be happy.

In regards to supposed Paper Mario Leaks:
I already covered this earlier...

In regards to favorite cutscene from SSE:

See you all in the morning! :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I do find the SSE to be a bit bland.
[collapse=This post came out to be longer than expected. You have been warned.]I do love the concept of the mode. You are controlling Nintendo's heroes, fighting many villains and enemies, and there are a lot of great character interactions (something Smash 4 doesn't have outside of the trailers).
However, I have a lot of complaints in regards to the mode:
  • My biggest complaint is that there are no Nintendo worlds. The World of Trophies is incredibly bland as it's based off of some stereotypical locations (your plains, your mountains, etc.). There are some instances where the levels resemble another universe (or, in the Halberd's case, part of another universe), but I rather see the World of Trophies combine segments of Nintendo's other worlds. How about we can have one section be the Mushroom Kingdom, another be Hyrule, then Dream Land, then part of a Pokemon region, then an FE region like Altea, and so on. This was a huge missed opportunity. The only level that stands out to me is Subspace because it's vastly different and it does fit that "final level" type vibe.
  • Like my previous comment, outside of the Subspace Army, you also fight Mario enemies. I mean, that's cool and all, but what happened to the Zelda and Ice Climber enemies from Melee? I think there should have been more variety in that regard, especially when King Dedede could have fought back Mario and crew with his minions and Ganondorf could have used his army like Bowser is.
  • While the character interactions were the best, some characters barely got any screen time. I was disappointed when I found out Luigi wasn't playable or major to the plot until the very end...
  • The gameplay can get very boring after a while and perhaps even repetitive.
  • This is also my biggest complaint: this mode took up a large portion of the development time of Brawl. There was less focus on balancing the characters and more on focusing on creating this story. It does go above and beyond what typical fighting games do, but the lack of true balance hurts the multiplayer game. I've heard the characters were balanced for the SSE rather than multiplayer. This is what led to Meta Knight towards becoming Smash's most powerful character; the lack of balance made him very overpowered.
I like to think of the Smash games from a casual perspective and a competitive perspective. Thinking about the SSE...
The casual side in me likes the mode for the character interactions, but feels no need to return to it and doesn't find it that great.
The competitive side in me doesn't like the mode because it made Brawl lose focus in multiplayer during development. This side is yelling louder and louder than the casual side...
If I had to choose between Smash 4 having the same roster and having the SSE but the balance in this game is awful or not have the SSE and have the characters be balanced, I would easily choose the latter. In the long run, I think the balance of the game is important; sure we have Diddy Kong, but he isn't Brawl Meta Knight levels bad because there was some balancing that the development team did. The balance will also increase the game's longevity.
I do agree that 4's single player is by far the weakest and I rather prefer Melee Adventure rather than Smash Tour, but I want to play the game with a balanced roster. I was actually happy when I found out the SSE wasn't going to happen; this meant more balance and more content was put in the game.[/collapse]

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I think people warmed up to Melee's Adventure Mode the most because it's very arcade-like in its format. Set your lives, set your difficulty, and go through a 13 stage gauntlet with a 5 minute timer at the most, with bonuses matches lined up if you fill specific requirements. It's very easy to jump from the burst-like run-n-gun of regular Melee 1v1 to the Adventure mode and not have to adjust to completely separate rules.

Subspace Emissary, for all its ambitiousness, has all the characters slog through massive labyrinthine stages, with the reward for going through 10-15 minutes of that being going through that a all over again in generic locations, this time with a completely different set of characters. The objective is the same - beat the **** out of everything in your path - but the stages run far too long for their own good, compared to the A->B structure of Melee's Adventure stages.

I myself like the SSE, but I definitely see where the distaste comes from.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I would love to know the answer to why there were 2 separate versions of the game, because, like you just said, the Wii U version is limited by the 3DS' limits.

EDIT: I think because of this, the Smash team practically shot themselves in the foot.
R.I.P. Ice Climbers. :( Good thing I have other mains/characters I like.

Most of you have already touched on things I would say in regards to the various smash games having there ups and downs, so I won't say much.
Brawl probably my favorite smash game not only because it's fun single player/co-op modes, but I've had so much fun modding the crap out of it! Though, I never did manage to make any of my own (besides BRSTMs) I enjoyed having the ability to mod the game as I pleased. Custom stages, character textures and all that jazz. :redface:

Edit

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I liked having my fav songs in appropriate stages.

Modern Sky Sanctuary on Rainbow Cruise (bonus points for the song loop at exactly the same time the stage itself does.)

Tropical Resort Act 1 on Delfino Plaza (would love to get this back on DP in Sm4sh)

Budokai Tenkaichi 2's Awake theme on Battlefield (and it's probably better suited for Sm4sh Battlefield too, particularly the segment at 1:13)

And many many others.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I hosted a game night and slept for 12 hours, and when I come back all the fun had happened and been done with.

Sounds like it's Friday. Time for an INPO.

*Immense fangirl gushing*

Oh my god it's just like my erotic fanfiction~ <3
Oh god I don't think I've laughed this hard in days.

That whole sequence was fun to watch but this was just the capstone.

Has anyone seen this before?
http://www.sporcle.com/games/theheroofhyrule/fire-emblem-awakening-characters-by-confession-quote

Basically you're timed to guess the confession quotes for every character in Awakening.
Including DLC. I had a hard time.
You guys could likely do it without looking though.
30/47. I couldn't remember Libra's name, or how to spell Miriel, and the rest I just whiffed.

I recalled a fair number of the female confessions (I collected them on my very first run) but had to guess the male ones based off of personality traits (like Raziek, haven't done a F!Robin run). Lot easier said than done for a bunch of those.

Needed to be mentioned.

My personal favorite is tied between this one and Delta's:

A Lot Of People Talking At Various Times said:
alt costumes plz mashpotato samurai
Cosplay Pikachu. 'Nuff said.

Also there were two costumes for the Japanese N3DS commercial that I still say would make excellent DLC:
king_pikachu.0.jpg
QV2Ypgy.png

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Mine has to be this:

Aside from the scene I already described, this would be a close second.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Mine has to be this:

That would also be my first.

But here's a close second, with the bonus that this same attack is used in Other M, except Pikachu can't save Samus that time.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Shh you're gonna give it away.

Nah just that time of morning when I'm close to the only one awake.
I know all your secrets~

D'aww. You're welcome, thank you for the giggles.
Admittedly haven't a clue what most of that means, but thank you for it.
It doesn't mean anything, I'm just using pseudo-Japanese nonsense because I'm a raging weeb. :3

Although raabu is a very hamfisted way of saying "love" in a Japanese accent.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma return to watching The Walking Dead.

Tally-ho~!

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I know all your secrets~

It doesn't mean anything, I'm just using pseudo-Japanese nonsense because I'm a raging weeb. :3

Although raabu is a very hamfisted way of saying "love" in a Japanese accent.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma return to watching The Walking Dead.

Tally-ho~!
Wintropy confirmed for being a stalker.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That face. I'm simultaneously frightened and flattered.

If she pops out of my closet, I have tea.
Also I apologize profusely for the state of my closet.
Something something Wintropy being in the closet.

Nah I'm pretty open about being a pansexual-androgynous rascal~ :3

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Dammit, I'm in classes now(except not really since the school is nigh deserted), so I can't run to lock my closet. :sadsheep:

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Something something Wintropy being in the closet.

Nah I'm pretty open about being a pansexual-androgynous rascal~ :3
I would honestly not be surprised if I found that you were secretly living in my closet, spying on my very action. I'm not sure how I would feel about that. In one sense, I'm honoured that you choose my closet. On the other hand, I'm deeply frightened by your supreme stalker skills and the many things you probably saw me doing... :awesome:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
But we all do crazy ****.

Look at the Hunger Games, the OC's, the shippings...

We're all crazy. :cheep:

Top Bottom