• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
*activate fangirl rant mode*

Yeah, except his smashes, his final smash in its specific form, Rope Snake, his taunts, his entry animation, his palettes, any reference to Mother 3 period aside from a couple of songs and trophies...

*disengage fangirl rant mode*

Though I do agree that technically Mewtwo brings more to the table than Lucas.
But I don't like :mewtwomelee:. At all. To this day, I STILL don't know what people see in him.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah, that seems to be a theme now. It's all stupid if you ask me.
U actually think Brawl is the best smash game of all
:troll:

:younglinkmelee:: I think you of all people know why he isn't here.:troll:

:snake:: He isn't here because Sakurai. And because I don't believe he belongs in Smash to begin with.:troll:

:lucas:: Because :4ness: took his stuff.:4wario:

The absence that irks me the most is :wolf:. Seriously, why would they even THINK of leaving him behind?!
:younglinkmelee:: That's low man.

:snake:: Understandable

:lucas:: Makes sense

:wolf:: Because :4fox: took his stuff :troll:.

Huh. I remember them being one of the easiest in the entirety of Pokemon.
Well, my pokemon were severely underpowered when I versed them.

Never played it, Though I have played CTR. It was good, but not Mario Kart good.
I found fun if not more than Mario Kart

The look of TP Link more suits my tastes.
The picture is still gorgeous

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Seeing Wintropy ship people again and I'm just watching it all like

View attachment 44409

I saw the supports of Syrek and Zantetsugun go up which was nice to see.

The bonds of our comrades grow every day, further increasing our strength :4robinm:
Indeed. Let no one doubt the strength of the Robin threads bonds of friendship!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Personally, I do think Brawl is the best Smash. I can't shake the feeling that Sm4sh was rushed with all the graphical glitches and inaccuracies in the system. The Clones were planned and implemented better than Melee and Sm4sh. There was a story mode which had awesome cutscenes. And my biased towards having BOTH of my favorite characters of all time, Snake and Ike, also shines through. I'm willing to say that, even with all its flaws, Brawl was the most polished Smash game.

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
Tripping. Enough said. Though Subspace Emissary was very good.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tripping. Enough said. Though Subspace Emissary was very good.
I don't think that warrants the game to be branded as "bad". Unlike the other Smash games it took out very little and added a substantial amount more. I don't need to remind everyone of all the missing extra modes in 4 right?
I reckon all Smashes are good in their own way, but 4 has, in my opinion, the best roster.
I will have to agree with you that 4 has the best roster in ratio, though. Allot of awesome characters were added this time around. But the lack of things to do besides just generally smashing is dull. Trophy Rush is a spam fest, Smash Tour is a joke, and Target blast isn't even enjoyable. There's too little to do in the game.

Smash Run was a good idea but fell flat from the lack of customization.

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
I liked brawl, it was fun, introduced final smashes and all of that hoo-hah. But everything was slowed down and the like.
I found that when I go back to brawl now, after playing project M and smash 4, it feels strange.
But yes, brawl is a well made game. It just isn't as good in my opinion. Because while adventure mode and the like are my jam, the primary time I play smash is with my friends. And we go with full on fights to the last stock.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As games as a whole, I think that the Smash series is very polished.
However, I will say that out of all the games, 4 is so far my favorite. I know that there isn't a story mode and there isn't much to do compared to Brawl, but when it comes to the actual fighting, I am having a lot of fun with it. The core issues from Brawl's gameplay were fixed (tripping and hitstun canceling for example), the roster is amazing, the balance is pretty good (there are still some bad characters, but most of the roster is pretty viable for competitive play), I love the new ledge mechanics, and the online mode is pretty fun (but For Glory needs to be improved).
64 is my second favorite because I like how easy it is to pull of combos and I like how generally offensive this game is. Later games have more content that blows the original out of the water, but the game play is pretty solid.
Melee and Brawl are on equal terms for me. For Melee, I like how offensive it is, the game modes it offers, and it has the best new stages. However, I am not a fan of certain aspects, such as having an air dodge that can be used once (I don't care for wavedashing) and the balance is questionable (poor Kirby). For Brawl, I love the content and the roster for the most part, as well as some improvements to the gameplay. My main detracts from it are that the game is slow paced, the online mode sucked, the SSE was a novelty idea that got in the way of balancing characters (Meta Knight...), and the godawful random tripping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree that Brawl is proportionately the best Smash game.
While Smash 4 has more unique and interesting newcomers, Brawl chose better newcomers overall.

Also, saying Smash 4 is the best because it has the best roster is really unfair in general, because a large portion of the characters that make said roster good wouldn't exist if not for Brawl.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Wait, people don't like Cia's design in Hyrule Warriors?
Blasphemy.
I think Hyrule Warriors is a good game, but utterly detest her's and Lana's designs. Maybe it's a little hypocritical I complain about characters looking 'too different' when I chew out fans all the time for ******** about the series' art-style changes, but for a game that's meant to celebrate Zelda's history, both designs seem so far removed from any other Zelda character design, that they stick out like sore thumbs alongside the rest of the roster. I don't think the designs on their own are very good either.

Long-haired Ganondorf is magnificent though.

10/10 would bang.

Anyway, considering TTYD is likely my favorite RPG ever made, or at least in the running, I'd love the 'leak' to be true...But it reeks of falsity.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I must be one of the few players that found tripping to be hilarious. But that aside, I enjoyed SSBB. More than SSBM honestly. While Smash 4 has a good roster(about as good as SSBB if not better because :4megaman:), it pretty much crapped out in the single player department. I'm not sure why they decided to relegate Smash Run strictly to the 3DS when it could've been so much bigger and better on the Wii U.

But each entry has their ups and downs, so...it's kind of hard for one entry to be flat-out better than another when it has its own share of problems.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Right, I don't know if I can say that there's a definitely Smash Bros. game, but...
All I know Brawl is the one that let me down the least.

Smash 4 has the worst single-player between Melee, Brawl, and itself, and maybe more games.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All in all, the four Smash games have their own merit and is why the fan base is so split between them. 4 has the most beloved new character additions, Brawl is the most polished, Melee is the most competitive, and 64 is the most Nostalgic. I prefer Brawl but again there are reasons, unlike other fan bases, the Smash community can't be one big happy family.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Right, I don't know if I can say that there's a definitely Smash Bros. game, but...
All I know Brawl is the one that let me down the least.

Smash 4 has the worst single-player between Melee, Brawl, and itself, and maybe more games.
Brawl killed Mewtwo. :crying:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I still can't believe they got rid of break the targets in smash 4. I mean there's smash run but it's the same map every time. I really wish there was some sort of subspace like mode, even if it wasn't that long (we don't need another great maze though).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Brawl may be the most important game in the series character-wise.

Without Snake, who was revealed first, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man would have been much less likely for Sm4sh. Sonic, for that matter, was a late addition to Brawl.

Yes, Sm4sh has newcomers like Shulk and Robin, and that's cool, but what Brawl did for the series in including third parties is incomparable. Sm4sh can't hold a candle to that character-wise. The breaking of Gematsu doesn't compare in anyway to E3 2006.

And Snake had to be unceremoniously cut, if for reasons understandable. :cry:

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I reckon all Smashes are good in their own way, but 4 has, in my opinion, the best roster.
Agreed, even taking into account that they cut my favorite character. This is the first SSB where I find myself not just using 1-3 characters and only touching the rest for Classic/All Star/other unlockables. Sure, I still have my top few, but I find myself using others for fun and it took me a lot longer to settle on mains this time around. That's not even considering the actually pretty awesome and unique newcomers this time. Yeah, there's Lucina and Dark Pit, but there's also characters with their own unique feel or quirks like Robin, Shulk, Rosalina, and Duck Hunt. A few characters who I didn't care for before have grown on me this time as well, including Mario and Ganondorf.

As for best overall SSB, that's a tough call, especially since I haven't played Melee in years. I'd say I like SSB4's overall feel, but with items on and more than two characters going at it, I feel like Brawl and Melee (from what I can remember) do it a little better without going to overboard. Though, not counting the original, SSB4 has my least favorite selection of single player modes. Events, 3DS Classic, and the Orders are fine, though.

There's also the fact that after Melee, I usually only played SSB solo. Sure, I've played Brawl and SSB4 with my brother before, but that's around when he mostly lost interest in Nintendo games, plus my Nintendo fan cousins moved farther away. So naturally I poured more hours into Melee than Brawl or SSB4, but that's because I played with more than one person. As for Brawl and SSB4, I feel like I've played 4 slightly more. It does get dull on your own, however. I wish at least that they had the 3DS Classic mode as both Classic modes. I've poured a bit of time into that and Orders (though not so much since they cost coins).

I don't mind Smash Tour, but I feel like it has too many flaws to make me love it as much as Melee Adventure Mode. The entire random final match idea is weird- it should just be a normal match plus the power ups from the Run. It's also a pain that you have to have four players to do it, and it can get kind of exhausting after one or two runs.

EDIT: And I'd say Melee had my favorite stage selection, though 4's has grown on me (for both versions- probably more Wii U's, though).

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Smash 64 sucks, it's way too blocky and it has like no characters.
NMniqJM.png

Melee sucks because the competitive side it added made the community a bunch of whiners and didn't add Diddy Kong.
NMniqJM.png

Brawl sucks because it's too slow and has Meta Knight, the story was also pointless.
NMniqJM.png

Smash 4 sucks because it has too much characters, no story and no competitive potential whatsoever, has Diddy Kong and was developed by that incompetent Sakurai troll.
NMniqJM.png

Smash for Nintendo NX sucks because it wasn't made by Sakurai
NMniqJM.png

Smash 20XX legacy sucks cause it has too much chrom in it
pOrIsBl.png

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
As what most others have touched on, every Smash has something special about it that makes it more fun or enjoyable. I could nit pick the good and the bad for each game, but I really don't feel like putting the effort in for it.

It is a shame that our community feels the need to be divided because we enjoy a certain game in the series more. No game entry or player should ever be ridiculed based on their preference or opinion.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Another thing that irks me about Sm4sh is the fact that I know the Wii U version, which could have been the most polished Smash ever, was held back from its true potential due to the team being split between 2 teams as well as having to deal with the 3DS limitations. Having such a big team working on just one game would have been much better, in my opinion, than splitting them.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Another thing that irks me about Sm4sh is the fact that I know the Wii U version, which could have been the most polished Smash ever, was held back from its true potential due to the team being split between 2 teams as well as having to deal with the 3DS limitations. Having such a big team working on just one game would have been much better, in my opinion, than splitting them.
I would love to know the answer to why there were 2 separate versions of the game, because, like you just said, the Wii U version is limited by the 3DS' limits.

EDIT: I think because of this, the Smash team practically shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm of the same opinion myself. Not just because Robin, Lucina, Robin and Palutena were added to the roster, although that does help, but because it feels like a culmination of all the Smash Bro games combined in some form or another. I know many Smashers complain about the somewhat lacking single player, Smash Tour, Break the Targets, among other things, but honestly, I don't need much to enjoy Smash Bros. Just a solid roster, large amount of stages, awesome music and good company. Everything else is honestly icing on a already delicious cake in my personal opinion. I'm pretty easy going when it comes all things gaming, even though I'm super passionate about gaming in general and love it, I've learned over time not to sweat the small stuff. No sense in complaining about things you have no control over. Just a waste time and energy. That being said, to each they're own. I am a very unique individual when it comes to that type of thinking and I know it's not a popular way to go about gaming, especially Smash, but that's how I roll. I learn to appreciate what is given rather than be bitter towards what I did not receive. At least, that's how I view life and gaming.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Brawl may be the most important game in the series character-wise.

Without Snake, who was revealed first, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man would have been much less likely for Sm4sh. Sonic, for that matter, was a late addition to Brawl.

Yes, Sm4sh has newcomers like Shulk and Robin, and that's cool, but what Brawl did for the series in including third parties is incomparable. Sm4sh can't hold a candle to that character-wise. The breaking of Gematsu doesn't compare in anyway to E3 2006.

And Snake had to be unceremoniously cut, if for reasons understandable. :cry:
Do you want to have a virtual comforting hug over Snake's removal?
I do.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Honestly, I think they should have made the Wii U version first, then made the 3DS version as a "portable" version after- basically, a more basic but portable version of the Wii U one.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Another area where Brawl is arguably better is single player, if directly competing with Melee.

Say what you will about it, but Subspace was a great mode to me and I unironically enjoyed it, with my one complaint being The Great Maze. Co-op only made it better. Master Core/Fortress is a great remnant of Tabuu and all, but the loss of an adventure mode in favor of the Smash Board Game sucks. Smash Run might have the Subspace Army within it, but it's not the same.

I enjoy Sm4sh's single player, for sure; Smash Run is fun and I'll happily run Classic 9.0 again to see just how far I can push the Global Smash Power/high score(current high score is 817640 with Bowser, on a 9.0 run where I didn't die at all) or get customs, and when I get the Wii U I'll be doing lots of co-op Classic with my brother and having fun with the stage bosses(hate on me all you want, but from the times I've been at friend's houses for Sm4sh, I really enjoy hazard Ridley) when I get bored of online.

Do you want to have a virtual comforting hug over Snake's removal?
I do.
Yes.

Snake returning will instantly make me gravitate towards Sm4sh for best roster.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm of the same opinion myself. Not just because Robin, Lucina, Robin and Palutena were added to the roster, although that does help, but because it feels like a culmination of all the Smash Bro games combined in some form or another. I know many Smashers complain about the somewhat lacking single player, Smash Tour, Break the Targets, among other things, but honestly, I don't need much to enjoy Smash Bros. Just a solid roster, large amount of stages, awesome music and good company. Everything else is honestly icing on a already delicious cake in my personal opinion. I'm pretty easy going when it comes all things gaming, even though I'm super passionate about gaming in general and love it, I've learned over time not to sweat the small stuff. No sense in complaining about things you have no control over. Just a waste time and energy. That being said, to each they're own. I am a very unique individual when it comes to that type of thinking and I know it's not a popular way to go about gaming, especially Smash, but that's how I roll. I learn to appreciate what is given rather than be bitter towards what I did not receive. At least, that's how I view life and gaming.

This guy gets it. I have more or less the same thought on the matter. I'm too busy enjoying the game as of now to worry about what it could've been. It's fun to dream, though.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dissastisfation is a stepping stone to innovation. If you're always satisfied with what you have, why carry on?

This has always been my philosophy because it's what innovators and inventors have to live by. Sure, we can't change what's already been done, but knowing flaws in the situation will allow future products to be more innovative and/or enjoyable.

Edit: this statement actually complements Sm4sh quite well. A la Mewtwo and Tourney mode as DLC.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
This guy gets it. I have more or less the same thought on the matter. I'm too busy enjoying the game as of now to worry about what it could've been. It's fun to dream, though.
Indeed, my good sir. Although I should stress that I'm not saying you can't have complaints or things your not satisfied with, nor am I saying you can't dream of what could have been. It is simply my own feelings and thoughts towards Smash 4, whether you agree or disagree. I am perfectly content with others disagreeing and being unsatisfied with what they are given.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I still can't believe they got rid of break the targets in smash 4. I mean there's smash run but it's the same map every time. I really wish there was some sort of subspace like mode, even if it wasn't that long (we don't need another great maze though).
I would absolutely LOVE to see them do another Subspace Emissary mode. I'm such a sucker for massive crossover storylines like that.

Top Bottom