• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'd rather have PoR/RD designed maps/chapters myself.

But since we talking bout changing thing, I wanna talk about the Pair Up mechanic.

We all know the mechanic is very imbalanced and it required making Lunatic and Lunatic+ mode absolutely ridiculous and arbitrary in difficulty. One option would be to get rid of it completely, which I am not opposed to. However I would rather see it fixed and returned.

What I think should be done for it is for stat bonuses based on classes to be gotten rid of completely. Instead you only get stat bonuses based on your support level. This can go in one of 2 directions, unranked support means +1 to all stats, C support means +2 to all stats, B mean +3, A means +4, and S means +5 or unrankes means +0, C means +1, B mean +2, A means +3, and S jumps to +5.

Now +5 to all stats seems extreme at the first glance and just as unbalanced, but think about it. Now there is no getting +10 stat bonus in one or two stats for over centralizing which is what made it OP. However +5 makes it to where it is high enough to make a difference but low enough to where it isn't always the best option and having more units on the field might just be better. After that I think Dual Strike shouldn't be based on percentage, instead it is also based on support level. Unranked = 0 extra attacks by your ally, C and B ranks = 1 extra attack, A rank = 2 extra attacks, and S rank = as many attacks as the partner does. I'm not sure what to do with Dual Guard other then it be percentage based without it being too powerful.

I really think the above things would really balance it out good.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I dislike the stats bonus idea because it destroys the idea of receiving bonuses tailored to the class you're paired up with (Speed from Myrms, Def from Knights, etc). Scaling the bonuses back is probably the better idea, but that's difficult to tune properly.

I also disagree with the # of attacks thing, because that makes it useless to partner with someone you can't support (which you sometimes have to do, just to get the pair-up bonuses, and is already sub-optimal, no need to nerf it further.)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
HOLY BALLS

Well, i was cut off from everything, camping in Alaska for two weeks. And I came back to quite possibly the best surprise ever!

THIS IS FANTASTIC.

It's probably a bit late, but thanks to everyone in this thread who supported Robin and kept pumping life into this thread.
God I can't wait for smash!
So, you've been gone this whole time and are only now finding out about this?

Jokes aside, congratulations! We finally made it!

Also whats the general consensus on that leak that was going around? Is anyone still backing the last part of it regardless of chrom's fate?
I believe the general consensus is that the leaker had access to some real information (which allowed him to leak Wii Fit Trainer and the names of Mii Fighters), but it seems his information is either incredibly outdated, or part of it is just outright made up. Considering Sakurai said he considered Chrom, but ultimately found Robin to be the more interesting choice (bless him for that, by the way), and considering that the "leaker" actually made one more "leak" just before Robin was revealed saying "enjoy my good friend Shulk," it seems like the latter of the two scenarios may be the more likely. And if this leaker is making stuff up, even if he does have some real information, he's no longer a reliable source. Which means that speculation is once again allowed to flourish. All thanks to Robin.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Gosh, I haven't really experimented enough with the more hardcore side of Awakening, which means I haven't really thought too much about the Pair Up mechanic; so my opinion isn't really tempered through testing or anything.

My personal preference (which is what I initially thought Pair Up was when I first started playing Awakening and didn't read anything close enough) would be to remove Dual Strike, keep Dual Guard, and keep the stat bonuses. That would make it more of a niche mechanic that still has its uses.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, you need to look at what it implies. Pair Up, while it has benefits aside, is the spiritual replacement for Rescue. Rescue and Capture are commands that took serious tactical considerations due to the stat penalties they applied. The units you fought in those games were balanced around the units you had, where as the AI in Awakening's Lunatic felt more tailored towards paired up PCs. A unit carrying another unit was, thus, considered at a disadvantage.

Personally, I don't think the game should be designed around it. It should be an option that offers protection, like Rescue. I think it should have zero influence on a units stats, but support bonuses should still apply. As for Dual Strike, I like it because it helps to bring the support system to the forefront, but dislike it because Fire Emblem has enough RNG.

So my approach to Dual Strike would be to make it work 100% of the time, perhaps once per battle. Instead of having the chance raise with support levels, raise the damage. Something like

No support: 20% damage
C support: 30% damage
B support: 40% damage
A support: 50% damage

Or instead it can only work once per attack/defence, and has double those rates (so 100% damage at A-S support)

So a unit always attacks for 50% (100%) damage when at an A (or S) support level, rounded down. This way, the units are always better fighting on their own, but whether you are using Pair Up defensively or happen to be fighting side-by-side, you can still have some tangible image of the relationship those two units share. I think Dual Guard can stay as is.
I'd rather have PoR/RD designed maps/chapters myself.
I'd stop you at Radiant Dawn, unless you meant just the height aspects. In that regard, I agree. The chapters later on were horrible, in my opinion. The barren, open maps of Awakening were reminscient of parts 3 and 4 of Radiant Dawn.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I like the Pair Up mechanic purely because it makes getting support conversations a lot easier than in past FE's, such as Binding Blade. How the heck am I supposed to get Sophia X Roy if Sophia dies when she is left anywhere near the front lines? I also like the sort of camaraderie aspect of two units getting stronger and better at protecting each other when they like each other more. Obviously Brave weapon abuse of Pair Up is ********, and Pair Up needs some work. but overall I hope it stays, since I prefer it to the Rescue command we used to have.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'd stop you at Radiant Dawn, unless you meant just the height aspects. In that regard, I agree. The chapters later on were horrible, in my opinion. The barren, open maps of Awakening were reminscient of parts 3 and 4 of Radiant Dawn.
The only bad maps of part 3 were Chapters 2, 7, and final. The rest were good. Part 4 was a mess though, still not as bad as Awakening though.

Hong

The Strongest
So I have spoken to @ AustarusIV AustarusIV and @ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man , now that the latter has made his return.

The Robin support thread and the newer Robin social thread have been merged here. The original intent it that this would just be a general discussion thread, but we basically had two social threads running concurrently. Nothing particularly harmful, but we'd be better if all the non-gameplay-related talk happened in one place. It's not like you can't use the social thread to talk about gameplay, anyway. :)

Enjoy.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
'Twas fun while it lasted. :ohwell:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some fanfics about Robin to start writing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ Hong Hong

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but the thread's title still sounds like a support thread. I think "Robin confirmed for SSB4" or "Robin in SSB4" would sound better.

You can do whatever you want, though. :p

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but the thread's title still sounds like a support thread. I think "Robin confirmed for SSB4" or "Robin in SSB4" would sound better.
I'm aware, and I agree.

Though I felt I would let @ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man decide on a name for the thread, and I had only changed it for now so that people know it's the social thread. He'll get around to it when he has time.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Something I'm very guilty of in Fire Emblem is only really using my favourite units and most of the time, these would be my favourite characters.

For example, if I list the FE games I've played and then list my strongest units in each:

FE7: Karla, Guy, Serra, Florina (with the Uber Spear)
FE8: Duessel, Moulder, Artur, Syrene, Marisa
FE9: Lethe, Nephenee
FE10: Ilyana, Heather, Nephenee, Calill, Lyre, Vika
Shadow Dragon: Lena, Abel, Wolf, Est
Awakening: Sully, Miriel, Cordelia, Say'Ri, Panne

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Well I updated the OP. The post isn't very long but I didn't feel like it needed to be. If you think anything should be added or that a different title might be good, feel free to give me a shout. ;)

Also, the old post was left in a spoiler tag at the bottom. So if you wanted to see arguments or movesets prior to Robin being confirmed, it's all right there.

Hong

The Strongest
Well I updated the OP. The post isn't very long but I didn't feel like it needed to be. If you think anything should be added or that a different title might be good, feel free to give me a shout. ;)
I'd advise putting "Social/General" in the title, since some people associate the two differently.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
So, uh, am I the only person who didn't like Lucina's character in Awakening? <____<

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, uh, am I the only person who didn't like Lucina's character in Awakening? <____<
She was one of the few child characters I DID like.
The others being Cynthia, Nah, and Owain all the others got on my nerves.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
She didn't seem to have a sense of humor like the other characters but she was nice and had heartfelt moments. I kinda find her boring since she mostly just talks about how awful her future is but... I dunno, she's like Fox I guess. Serious and kinda boring but so focused on the mission that other characters' interactions with them are all the better. She's the straight man in a comedy duo yknow? So yeah, her personality all on its own is kinda ehh, but in Awakening and Smash Bros, its funny and uplifting seeing her trying to get along with Inigo or Donkey Kong. Y'know what I mean...? I hope I'm explaining this right haha

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think it was her line to Chrom: "Honestly I'm surprised you didn't figure it out earlier" that caused me to dislike her. I'm typically not a fan of lines like that.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think it was her line to Chrom: "Honestly I'm surprised you didn't figure it out earlier" that caused me to dislike her. I'm typically not a fan of lines like that.
I am not sure I understand, lines that insinuate that someone else should have figured out something at a more convenient time? Haha...?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Something I'm very guilty of in Fire Emblem is only really using my favourite units and most of the time
I don't see that as a bad thing.

Edit: What happened to Lizardon's thread? Was it merged with this one?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't see that as a bad thing.

Edit: What happened to Lizardon's thread? Was it merged with this one?
Yes. Hong told me that the two threads were becoming too similar in their content, and thus it was redundant to keep both of them together at once.

So long as I can make the Ridley social thread, I'm A-OK with this.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Wow our social thread went from 11 pages to 189 in one night! You guys must have been busy. :oneeye:

I also don't really love Lucina. No matter what the conversation is, no matter how happy the moment, she always talks about
"Oh we didn't have flowers like this in the future" or "Boy we didn't have time to hang out at the beach like this in the future"
It gets so old that even though I liked her at first, she became just an OK character for me after awhile. Like if there was a dialogue option for "OMGSTFU about your crappy future and enjoy yourself for a few minutes" I would pick it everytime.

Of course if I said any of this on Gamefaqs I would be crucified so forgive me for my little Lucina rant. This is a safe place, right?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I should just enforce the Fabulous Empire-dom by merging all three/four fabulousers social threads and having each forum with a stickied redirect :p At least Lucina/Robin right now are pretty often just talking about FE:A

And it would balance out the optimism with the cynicism of Marth mains if they joined up too~

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wow our social thread went from 11 pages to 189 in one night! You guys must have been busy. :oneeye:

I also don't really love Lucina. No matter what the conversation is, no matter how happy the moment, she always talks about
"Oh we didn't have flowers like this in the future" or "Boy we didn't have time to hang out at the beach like this in the future"
It gets so old that even though I liked her at first, she became just an OK character for me after awhile. Like if there was a dialogue option for "OMGSTFU about your crappy future and enjoy yourself for a few minutes" I would pick it everytime.

Of course if I said any of this on Gamefaqs I would be crucified so forgive me for my little Lucina rant. This is a safe place, right?
No, two threads were merged into one.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes. Hong told me that the two threads were becoming too similar in their content, and thus it was redundant to keep both of them together at once.

So long as I can make the Ridley social thread, I'm A-OK with this.
I see. I suppose I can agree with him.

I wonder who will make that thread? Crashboards will be crashing as usual, so idk.

Edit:

xD

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Nah, the first time I played I wasn't a fan... I normally like the 'straight man' in comedy situations but for some reason I didn't instantly like Lucina, which was a bit gutting. I still used her though because I felt given the plot line that she should at least be in each battle to protect her dad...but I wasn't particularly excited by her. (Probably not helped by Sumia and Chrom not giving her that many exciting classes to choose from.)

I get you hahaha, that was a little bit weird.

Though personally I was all: Really Chrom? REALLY? (I didn't expect him to guess that Lucina was his daughter from the fuuuutttuuurree because that would be an insane, considering no one would just magically guess that haha)

...But I did expect him to guess that behind her terrible disguise she was a woman. I just imagined Robin giving Chrom a ' ¬_¬ ' expression when he's actually shocked, before face palming. (Okay so that doesn't happen but in my head that's what Robin does, because I was all: "Gosh I wonder what this character's secret might be? Though whatever it is...it's probably not as big as Robin's" <-with respect to the beginning of the game and demo.)

In order for me to soften up to Lucina's "For my father and to change my rubbish future!" I had to have Robin marry Chrom. I know how my bias work, I have to put a lot of effort into any of the kids that end up being my avatar's children because can't have them bringing down the elite's image now, can we! Hahaha.

Also looking forward to seeing "That" scene where Lucina's all: "I've got to do this!" because it might make me care a bit more instead of being all: "Eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... no!"

In Lucina's defense I also did like some of her conversations with Brady (that and also the idea that Brady got to marry into royalty with his vulgar tongue is hilarious to me. I know he can also be born into royalty but that didn't seem quite as funny to me as imagining Lucina bringing Brady home and being all "Mum, Dad, I want to marry this guy :D")

Hong

The Strongest

It doesn't matter whether or not Robin is a good character, so long as you have style.

Top Bottom