• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

M@v

Subarashii!
Most feasible ones would be:
-hooded robin detail in spoilers (Awakening spoiler alert)
(can represent Grima; make the eyes red for twice the awesome. Even more awesome if they could have the evil echo-ish voice; but it would likely be impossible to do with how they will set up the sounds files. They would need to make 2 more batches of sounds to make it work.) The problem is though Chrom is his final smash, so a Grima calling in Chrom as his final smash makes 0 sense.
-Team recolors have their hair changed to that color besides a slight tint in their robes. Red Green and Blue hair are all available in awakening IIRC.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Roy was pretty broken.
In the two-three chapters or so he was upgraded. Ain't a stretch to say he can solo maps with the sword of seals and not-heavily ****ed-over-RNG, even in hard mode.
He is also very solid after the first few levels until you crack level 20 and are stuck there for about 12 chapters.

Like, I'm used to lords that don't actually upgrade at all (Sigurd / Leaf). :[

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
That is the safest bet, but the fact both Robins appear in the official site, as opposed to only female Wii Fit Trainer and male Villager appearing, makes me think there is a small possibility both Robins will appear in their slot in the CSS.

Edit: Sort of :4greninja:'d by Lizardon.
I wouldnt be surprised if they dual Robin reveal was brought on by the reaction to a male only villager. I dont think too many cared for the lack of a male WFT though.

My thinking is that the dual icon could be a thing, but a dual portrait won't happen. It would make it appear like a dual character. I know people who buy the game will already know, but it just seems awkward visually.

They could also do something like with Pokemon Trainer, where you could highlight which version you choose.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
So I go to bed and when I wake up, neither :tripping: nor :sakurai: work.
I am disappointed in you guys

Legitimate question time: Who does all the work on the forum emotes etc? I couldn't find a forum where it would be appropriate to suggest this kind of stuff and I really do think we need Sakurai in the list :D

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It would make it appear like a dual character.
Only if the person playing isn't intelligent enough to realize that a character named ROBIN isn't a dual character.

I will stand by my opinion that putting only male Robin in the CSS will be a huge disservice for female Robin and her fans.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As a person who has never played any other FE games besides Awakening, (and a small bit of Shadow Dragon), I keep hearing stuff about how the maps were bland in Awakening, and how they didn't have any other objectives aside from killing the commander.

Without spoiling anything, what kinds of maps and objectives did the other games have?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Roy was pretty broken.
In the two-three chapters or so he was upgraded. Ain't a stretch to say he can solo maps with the sword of seals and not-heavily ****ed-over-RNG, even in hard mode.
He is also very solid after the first few levels until you crack level 20 and are stuck there for about 12 chapters.

Like, I'm used to lords that don't actually upgrade at all (Sigurd / Leaf). :[
Well, Sigurd is broken because he's a prepromote, and in both games Leif promotes as well... Ironically, Leif is broken in Geneology of the Holy War. And both were originally planned to get in before Marth and Roy, respectively! :D

Roy is broken the whole game. First he's broken after you get him up a few levels, then he's broken because he's worthless half the game as he can't promote, then he's broken because he has to catch up and can barely survive, then finally once you level him up again he's broken once more and will solo the rest of the game.

D

Deleted member

As a person who has never played any other FE games besides Awakening, (and a small bit of Shadow Dragon), I keep hearing stuff about how the maps were bland in Awakening, and how they didn't have any other objectives aside from killing the commander.

Without spoiling anything, what kinds of maps and objectives did the other games have?
Other games more commonly had tight indoor maps with bottleneck hallways and such alongside the wide open outdoor maps. The majority of Awakening's maps, even indoors, were fairly open with a good amount of movement room. Additionally, most maps in older games had some significant variability in their characteristics and layout, meanwhile Awakening, while having some variation in layout, was not incredibly different between each map in terms of basic design.

With regards to missions, aside from "Route the Enemy" and "Seize/Kill the Commander" there were more commonly missions such as "Survive 15 turns" or "Get to X spot in 8 turns"/"Complete mission in 15 turns" or something along those lines. Additionally, while some Awakening Chapters (namely the chapter where the Shepherds must protect Tiki from the Risen (Chapter 18 I think)) had a "protect" goal, in older games these could be either more frequent or more difficult overall (obviously Lunatic Awakening is going to be hard, but in past games such as RD there were chapters that were brutal even on easy mode).

I still loved Awakening though (despite the removal of this variation), as I do all FE games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Leaf got some +1 stats without any other upgrades (in FE5). It's the worst upgrade in Lord history.

It's like "here, have half a level worth of stats and get reset back to level 1!"

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Besides changing the robes' color, I think Robin's color swaps could also use some of the hair colors and styles from the Avatar creation in FEA.

The robes' colors could pay homage to other FE characters like the Micaiah costume posted above. Preferably with a hair color and style to resemble the alluded character. This could also reference how the Einherjar were actually Avatars resembling the character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, Marth only gets in Smash due to seniority? Is Marth broken in any FE game he's in? I never played any of his games.

And yeah, Ike is broken in Radiant Dawn. Robin can be broken too. Same for Lucina, especially if she's Robin's daughter.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Another aspect older games had was Fog of War and destructible terrain.

Oh, and one thing I miss from FE4 was accomplishing an objective, and then it tosses another objective at you. When you didn't know if that could happen, it made you make contingency plans like a real war tactician instead of just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the boss, knowing it'll end once you do.

Plus, a LOT of your units originally started as enemies. Awakening only really had Gaius and Tharja.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how he is in Fe3/12, but he's pretty bad in FE1/11. 10 less levels than anyone else and no promotion bonus. His only redeeming factor in FE11 (doubting it was in the originals) is he either has the Aptitude skill or really high growths, don't recall which. But that still doesn't help with the 10 missing levels and no promotion bonus, it just keeps him somewhat relevant for a little bit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Leaf got some +1 stats without any other upgrades (in FE5). It's the worst upgrade in Lord history.

It's like "here, have half a level worth of stats and get reset back to level 1!"
I never got that far in Thracia, but it doesn't surprise me. The fact is that Leif starts off with basically what amounts to Tier 0 in Thracia because, again, his promotion is "Prince," but his starting class in Geneology is "Prince."

So, Marth only gets in Smash due to seniority? Is Marth broken in any FE game he's in? I never played any of his games.

And yeah, Ike is broken in Radiant Dawn. Robin can be broken too. Same for Lucina, especially if she's Robin's daughter.
Marth isn't anywhere close to broken. He got in due to seniority. The first truly broken Lord is Sigurd. Granted, Sigurd can't solo the entire first half of the game, but he is extremely powerful for a Lord (which makes perfect sense as he's a prepromote :p).

Leif is broken in Geneology of the Holy War, but as he promotes into his starting class from Geneology in Thracia 776, it makes sense that he's extremely weak in Thracia.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In a competitive setting, Leaf is Top Tier in FE5.
He has a slew of unique/semi-unique weapons that are all fantastic.
But basically he is required to be used extensively as to even to even fathom achieving an SSS ranking, you need Leaf to be strong enough to kill bosses so when he's warped there he can do them quickly (preferably in a turn) and then finish the map in the turn after.

This is because to achieve an SSS rank in Thracia you need to complete every stage on average 5 turns or less, and a lot of the early stages in the game are impossible to complete in anything under 8-10 turns, you basically play a game of catch up of trying to 2-turn several chapters with warp staves.

Stats gains fortunately played less a role in FE5 as other games too, there were multiple held on items that would reduce chances in one stat for an increase in another.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
While Ike was somewhat overpowered stat-wise, what really utterly broke Ike was Aether.

Without Aether, Ike was just a decently powerful unit, and could honestly be overshadowed fairly easily by some of the other party members (Nephenee). Aether was responsible for not only his self-recovery, but also his incredible damage dealing potential, and I think this is what gave him the role he has in Smash. That was the tipping point between "well rounded character" and "hard hitting powerhouse". His damage potential skyrocketed fairly well past that of the other characters.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I forgot about fog of war; those chapters were always really interesting. Also, trying to protect your pegasi from being murdered by Ballistae was always... fun. "Seize the x" was a pretty common objective in other FE games (which basically just meant move your person on the square the commander is standing on).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The multiple objectives in prior FEs gave the impression that you were actually fighting in a war, filled with twists and turns that you have to acclimate to on the spot.

But with all the Rout chapters, Awakening just felt like one long Yllisean parade. The Tiki Paralogue chapter is the only chapter where you can be punished for going for heavy offense. There's hardly any sense of tension or caution, just a sense of "Oh, goddammit, they're acting up again. Guess I'll go break this up AGAIN."

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
I wouldn't be surprised if Robin's alternative costumes are just different shades of hair color...which is fine by me. I just kept the default hair styles on both of my playthroughs of Awakening.

Here's a recolor for FemRobin I made:

Not bad. I'd be down for this recolor.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Only if the person playing isn't intelligent enough to realize that a character named ROBIN isn't a dual character.

I will stand by my opinion that putting only male Robin in the CSS will be a huge disservice for female Robin and her fans.
When I say, I'm thinking more about the casual gamers who dont usually play video games, but play because they are over at their friend's house.

I personally would have them both in the icon, and switch them like other costumes. I think considering that I dont believe dual icons/portraits are in store for the villager or WFT, then its possible Robin wont have them as well. I'd love to be wrong and get dual icons for all three characters.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
The multiple objectives in prior FEs gave the impression that you were actually fighting in a war, filled with twists and turns that you have to acclimate to on the spot.

But with all the Rout chapters, Awakening just felt like one long Yllisean parade. The Tiki Paralogue chapter is the only chapter where you can be punished for going for heavy offense. There's hardly any sense of tension or caution, just a sense of "Oh, goddammit, they're acting up again. Guess I'll go break this up AGAIN."
I was playing the chapter that takes place on the cliffside with the million wyvern riders a couple nights ago and got so frustrated with it (because of the reinforcements always spontaneously appearing and instantly killing a unit) that I finally just said **** it and rushed the enemy down with no regard for my units' safety. Naturally, that ended up being the round that I won with no casualties. I didn't take much pleasure in the victory though, because I felt like I survived purely on luck rather than on careful planning and spacing. And that's when I gave up on Hard mode and started a new file on Normal so I could focus on getting the pairings for the child units I want. :b

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yea with the maps of Awakening 9/10 times your best option is going to be to brute force your way in over anything else.

Even in past FE games of past route the enemy/kill the boss missions most of the time you would get punished hard for trying to brute force your way in. The maps of Awakening just don't feel like the promote strategy.

I will however say that my current playthrough on Hard Mode with no Pair Up is actually tons of fun and makes me feel like I need a semblance of strategy for it.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Unfortunately, the reason the maps are so much more bland in Awakening is a result of the reclassing system.

In the older FEs, you could design a level knowing EXACTLY what type of units you were going to have, and deliver a tight, controlled experience that allows you smart players to capitalize on unit strengths. A great example is like, Chapter 13x in FE7.

Fog of War, defend chapter, where you start on the middle island.

Up to this point, Oswin has seen some token use, but because Ch.12 & 13 are fairly large, other units have been more useful. But then you get a defend map, and as a Knight, Oswin thinks "THIS IS MY TIME TO SHINE" and he blocks a bridge like a goddamn champion, and is an impenetrable wall.

You can't do that with Awakening as easily, because there's a damn good chance that MAYBE OSWIN IS A PRIEST. (Taking a Kellam reclass option as an example)

So instead, Awakening got big square boxes filled with enemies, and focused their 'feel-good' moments into character cut-ins for crits, skills, etc. and making the combat feel as awesome as possible. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just DIFFERENT, and maybe not what some people prefer.

Hong

The Strongest
Unfortunately, the reason the maps are so much more bland in Awakening is a result of the reclassing system.

In the older FEs, you could design a level knowing EXACTLY what type of units you were going to have, and deliver a tight, controlled experience that allows you smart players to capitalize on unit strengths. A great example is like, Chapter 13x in FE7.

Fog of War, defend chapter, where you start on the middle island.

Up to this point, Oswin has seen some token use, but because Ch.12 & 13 are fairly large, other units have been more useful. But then you get a defend map, and as a Knight, Oswin thinks "THIS IS MY TIME TO SHINE" and he blocks a bridge like a goddamn champion, and is an impenetrable wall.

You can't do that with Awakening as easily, because there's a damn good chance that MAYBE OSWIN IS A PRIEST. (Taking a Kellam reclass option as an example)

So instead, Awakening got big square boxes filled with enemies, and focused their 'feel-good' moments into character cut-ins for crits, skills, etc. and making the combat feel as awesome as possible. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just DIFFERENT, and maybe not what some people prefer.
Inversely, it's not because of reclassing, but because reclassing is tied to an item with a level requirement and a penalty on use. You MUST reclass to survive a Lunatic run on FE12. This is okay, because you can reclass your best units to overcome vulnerabilities and deal with tricky situations. This is made even more interesting by the fact that everyone shared one of three class pools (where as Awakening characters for the most part just have three base classes), and counteracted by a class limit.

I never wanted class changing in Fire Emblem, but now that it's here, I think they should combine systems from both FE12 and FE13. The freedom to change whenever you wanted from FE12, with the limited options-per-character from FE13. I would like the chapter designs to be closest to the GBA games if possible.

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
HOLY BALLS

Well, i was cut off from everything, camping in Alaska for two weeks. And I came back to quite possibly the best surprise ever!

THIS IS FANTASTIC.

It's probably a bit late, but thanks to everyone in this thread who supported Robin and kept pumping life into this thread.
God I can't wait for smash!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
HOLY BALLS

Well, i was cut off from everything, camping in Alaska for two weeks. And I came back to quite possibly the best surprise ever!

THIS IS FANTASTIC.

It's probably a bit late, but thanks to everyone in this thread who supported Robin and kept pumping life into this thread.
I didn't think I had seen you post about it yet. Awesome surprise for sure.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
HOLY BALLS

THIS IS FANTASTIC.

I was wondering where you went! :D

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
While Ike was somewhat overpowered stat-wise, what really utterly broke Ike was Aether.

Without Aether, Ike was just a decently powerful unit, and could honestly be overshadowed fairly easily by some of the other party members (Nephenee). Aether was responsible for not only his self-recovery, but also his incredible damage dealing potential, and I think this is what gave him the role he has in Smash. That was the tipping point between "well rounded character" and "hard hitting powerhouse". His damage potential skyrocketed fairly well past that of the other characters.
I thought it was Ragnell that gave him the role of a heavy hitter swordsman.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I didn't think I had seen you post about it yet. Awesome surprise for sure.
I'm also quite happy to see that Female Robin also made it. Our predictions of female alternate costumes were spot on.
I don't care if Robin hits bottom tier when the game comes out, I have my main.

Also whats the general consensus on that leak that was going around? Is anyone still backing the last part of it regardless of chrom's fate?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I thought it was Ragnell that gave him the role of a heavy hitter swordsman.
Ragnelle helped, but you get it even later in the game, and it's mostly unbreakability and range that it gives him. It certainly contributes, though. But that role of Ike as "heavy hitting powerhouse" is what became his role in Smash Bros. Sure, from a sheer stats perspective, Ike is a very well rounded character. But there's more to Ike as a character than that. I think Sakurai was more trying to capture the feel of Ike's character than the stats. That's the point I was trying to make.

Coming out of Path of Radiance, your view of Ike is a heavy swordsman who hits like a truck. We got that.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Also whats the general consensus on that leak that was going around? Is anyone still backing the last part of it regardless of chrom's fate?
I believe the consensus is that the original leak was dead-on, while the second leak is just dead.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
It seems like most people have accepted that it's false, but ya know what they say. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

There was a poll in Rate Their Chances on it the other day, look their if you wanna know more.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm also quite happy to see that Female Robin also made it. Our predictions of female alternate costumes were spot on.
I don't care if Robin hits bottom tier when the game comes out, I have my main.

Robin brutally murdered the leak and Chrom burned its remains to ashes. Sakurai confirmed Chrom was considered, but quickly ignored in favor of Robin. Chrom was never on the roster, so however the leak happened, it screwed up big time on Chrom. Likely scenario is that the first leak (E3 2013) was true, the second leak (Smash Bros. Direct) was false.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Roy is broken the whole game. First he's broken after you get him up a few levels, then he's broken because he's worthless half the game as he can't promote, then he's broken because he has to catch up and can barely survive, then finally once you level him up again he's broken once more and will solo the rest of the game.

How broken can a guy get?

Hong

The Strongest
Roy was pretty broken

in Melee.

Edit - I love how Randall shows up at the end with his smug face. Roy is such a disgrace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom