• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Sorry for the stupid question, but what does MU stand for? At first my mind went to MyUnit, but that doesn't make much sense in this context :D
Match-up. I was saying Ness has a rough time against characters with long reach on their normals.

Speaking of context:

How deliciously evil it would be to take this out of context :ganondorf:
As intended. :) Was going to end the post with
instead but I like a little tongue-in-cheek.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Morgan always looked like a 12 year old to me. Yet he has the voice of an adult.
One of the reasons I hate derpy male Morgan (not sure how he sounds in English, but even in Japanese he has a much older sounding voice than his face/body would suggest). The other reason is his face (or maybe it's the hair... either way, the combination of the two just likes derpy to me).

Female Morgan, on the other hand, is adorable incarnate.

But what about Ricken?

He's like, actually 12.
Even if he's 12 at the start, after the time skip he'd be 14. Everyone always forgets there's a 2 year time skip in the middle since no one appears to physically age.

As for life expectancy in Fire Emblem, it isn't as bad as medieval times in real life. There are plenty of old people you run into if you visit houses in the various chapters.

D

Deleted member

One of the reasons I hate derpy male Morgan (not sure how he sounds in English, but even in Japanese he has a much older sounding voice than his face/body would suggest). The other reason is his face (or maybe it's the hair... either way, the combination of the two just likes derpy to me).

Female Morgan, on the other hand, is adorable incarnate.

Even if he's 12 at the start, after the time skip he'd be 14. Everyone always forgets there's a 2 year time skip in the middle since no one appears to physically age.

As for life expectancy in Fire Emblem, it isn't as bad as medieval times in real life. There are plenty of old people you run into if you visit houses in the various chapters.
Meh, 14 is still pretty young, going off the US Education System I would say you have to be at least high school age (15-16) before you can have an understanding of what "long term relationship"/"marriage" and all that stuff even means (as that is usually the case, children before High School typically don't comprehend the responsibility and commitment that comes with that (hell, even at 15-16 they still don't understand it that well)); if he was extremely mature, then maybe. But Ricken is still fairly childish (and while better than Maribelle, still is coddled slightly as a result of his "noble" status, albeit his family has lost most/all of their money, but still) and I still consider 14 too young for the whole "married for life" deal.

Not to mention that he still seems to have the whole "I'll love you and everything will be perfect! I may be 5-7 years younger than you! But I can still be your husband and take care of you!" vibe in his proposal.

But Awakening is a dating sim video game after all.

*Shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
IMO marriages meant more when they happened after the journey based on your supports, during the epilogue.

The only FE with a system like this before Awakening was FE4, and I certainly didn't miss it. The confessions remind me too much of a dating sim.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
1. Your favorite class in the entire series?
If you told me before playing Fire Emblem that an RPG character could ride on a pegasus and look badass while doing it, I would have told you to play with your little ponies.
And before anyone calls me a "hater", keep in mind I have nothing against.... them. There are two sides to every coin, and I was a part of the fandom before it was supposedly corrupted. I don't even know how this negative reputation came to be. There is probably a lot of truth to all the hate: I have a friend that seems to exemplify it. But I know there are those who subvert the reputation completely/
That's why Pegasus Knight is my favorite class.

2. One aspect of Awakening you'd change?
It's a tie between "Balancing the difficulty better" and "Handling the story better."

D

Deleted member

IMO marriages meant more when they happened after the journey based on your supports, during the epilogue.

The only FE with a system like this before Awakening was FE4, and I certainly didn't miss it. The confessions remind me too much of a dating sim.
I wish Awakening had the option for characters to shoot down the confessions. All the S-Supports are all like "Blablabla doing X things with you has made me realize how great you are! I Love You! *Brings out a Ring* Marry me?" and the person being proposed to is always like "Of course I'll marry you! I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings and say I'll think about it (because we've only had 3 conversations up until now or because I love someone else) so I'll commit to you 100% right now!"

So you'd get someone like say Ricken (because I've been talking about him) and he'd be all like "I want to be your husband, not your brother!, *Wedding Ring*." And the character in question could just be all like "eehh, why don't we slow this relationship down a bit? I don't like you like that/I'm not ready for you like that yet."

Fire Emblem: Awakening: Unrequited Love Edition.

:awesome:

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom is disgusting in that respect.

Then again, it's historically accurate for a royalty of a medieval era. "Rightful King" indeed.:rolleyes:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
If you don't want to get them married, then don't select their S-Support? Not all that difficult. And obviously they talk more than just what we're shown. Severa/Laurent even mention their time together that we aren't shown in their supports.

Besides, the less Cordelia-like conversations the game has, the better. I like her as a character, but her supports are annoying with half of them being her talking to the guy about how much she loves Chrom. Hell, half the proposals the guy even mentions Chrom and accepts being her backup, which is just awful.

In fact, the only S-Supports for her that don't mention Chrom are Robin, Kellam, and Donnel. Less unrequited crap the better.

Hong

The Strongest
I've got some!

1. Your favorite class in the entire series?

2. One aspect of Awakening you'd change?
1) Cleric
2) Better chapter design
Here, since I'm a fairly recent Fire Emblem fan, and have only played Awakening so far, I'll ask a few questions. Feel free to elaborate and go into detail for any of these:

1. What's your favorite FE game?
2. What's your LEAST favorite FE game?
3. What do you think really sets the FE franchise apart from other strategy titles?
4. What was the first FE title that you played?
5. How were you introduced to the FE series?
1) Path of Radiance
2) Blazing Sword
3) Weapon mechanics, units are not just units, character relations
4) Moshou no Nazo/Mystery of the Emblem
5) My older friend imported a loooooootf of stuff, games included. One of the games I tried was Fire Emblem, and even though I struggled to understand anything (It was late 90s, so I was still young) I was hooked.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
If you don't want to get them married, then don't select their S-Support? Not all that difficult. And obviously they talk more than just what we're shown. Severa/Laurent even mention their time together that we aren't shown in their supports.

Besides, the less Cordelia-like conversations the game has, the better. I like her as a character, but her supports are annoying with half of them being her talking to the guy about how much she loves Chrom. Hell, half the proposals the guy even mentions Chrom and accepts being her backup, which is just awful.

In fact, the only S-Supports for her that don't mention Chrom are Robin, Kellam, and Donnel. Less unrequited crap the better.
...Just try figuring out who Cordelia has a crush on without reading S-Supports. Come on, try.
It seems to me that the only reason it got mentioned so much was because Cordelia REALLY gets around. Pretty much every conversation that focused on her crush involved the other half of the conversation either being either clearly smitten with her or an established pervert. It's not like you're going to flirt with someone, or especially PROPOSE to them, and not mention the fact that they clearly have a crush on another guy.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Cordelia was designed as a deconstruction of "The Ace" archetype, and as an homage to Catria from Mystery of the Emblem and the remake. Everything revolving her skills, her infatuation on Chrom, and her suitors are references to them.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well , seeing how the behaviour of Marios Fireball (neutral B) works with customisation, maybe Thunder will simply fire in an arc, or diagonally upwards, or split into 3 weaker versions. or go directly upwards... ArcFire might push back like Lucas' PKF instead of using that flame pillar from Ness' PKF and so on.

EDIT : Just had another thought about ElWind: Maybe it is simply omnidirectional like Fox' rescue? I don't really think it is, because i did not witness any kind of wind up that would allow for redirecting the blade...Then again, one picture DOES show Robin throwing ElWind at a diagonal angle... So it might aswell be. Would get rid of the "But what happens if I'm on the ground"-Problem, aswell as his "lack" of coverage - well, spell/projectile coverage - for the space above him.
Methinks that pic is just at a clever camera angle, but perhaps it is aim-able. However, it would be rather odd if you could shoot the projectile upward and be launched upward by the momentum - that doesn't really make sense. Unless Robin could only aim it up grounded.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

I'd say Cordelia's a bit better in the unrequited love category than Tharja, at the very least. Though that doesn't say very much.
God, I really don't like any of Tharja's supports besides maybe two of them. Always feels like she either doesn't actually give a crap about the guy, or does care to some extent but still cares about the avatar more.
I know it's supposed to be "in character," but I can't help but not like it.
Thankfully now that I'm on Lunatic I stopped caring about the actual relationship and I just want good units and pairs-ups.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm thinking an aimable Elwind would be like Pikachu's Quick Attack. Pikachu can go anywhere he wants with the first QA, but he could only angle the second part of Quick Attack within a certain amount of degrees from the first part of QA. If Robin's second Elwind can be angled, chances are it'll be similar to that.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Aiming it up when grounded seems plausible. Maybe holding up will make it shoot upwards, and just tapping up will make Robin shoot upwards.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Methinks that pic is just at a clever camera angle, but perhaps it is aim-able. However, it would be rather odd if you could shoot the projectile upward and be launched upward by the momentum - that doesn't really make sense. Unless Robin could only aim it up grounded.
I was thinking more along the lines of "if you aim it up while in the air, you get pushed down" obviously. Think Pikachus Quick Attack. You press in the direction you want to go. Since Robin fires 2 Blades in succession you could use the first to push yourself upwards and the second to push yourself sideways. On the ground you simply wouldn't get pushed when aiming at any direction. Sure, this would mean you would have to press the opposite direction of where you want the blade to go, but frankly, i don't think this is a problem as it is a rescue first and a projectile as a nice bonus.

Example if this wasn't clear : You press UP-B : you fire a blade down and propel upwards. You press UP-B -> Right, you propel yourself to the right, the projectile goes to the left etc.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
...Just try figuring out who Cordelia has a crush on without reading S-Supports. Come on, try.
I assume you also mean without DLC? I know she's not half as subtle there about it as she is in the main game. Example: Golden Gaffe, and whichever Scramble it was where she actually has a conversation with Chrom if she isn't married yet.

Oh, and her bio within the game states she's trying to win Chrom's heart.

Also, Severa mentions multiple times that Cordelia loved Chrom, and even questioned (before being reassured otherwise) whether Cordelia loved Chrom more than her.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I assume you also mean without DLC? I know she's not half as subtle there about it as she is in the main game. Example: Golden Gaffe, and whichever Scramble it was where she actually has a conversation with Chrom if she isn't married yet.

Oh, and her bio within the game states she's trying to win Chrom's heart.

Also, Severa mentions multiple times that Cordelia loved Chrom, and even questioned (before being reassured otherwise) whether Cordelia loved Chrom more than her.
The Golden Gaffe conversation is an exception. Also, there's a 99% chance Cordelia would have been married by Summer Scramble if you didn't want her to have a conversation with Chrom, hence the problem. There's also the fact that I don't know a single person who actually read the bios, and that Severa was wrong about her thing for Chrom entirely.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Even if Severa was wrong, the game isn't subtle about Cordelia being in love with someone. Multiple entire support conversations are about it without specifying who until the S rank. Even if you married her to Robin, Kellam, or Donnel, where it isn't mentioned, as soon as Severa states her suspicions it's clear who the person was that she had a crush on.

And even if you discount all that, it's still awful trying to pair her up and getting constantly reminded that she loves someone else. Even if she's come to love the person you pair her up with more, it's just off putting that they'd even bring up Chrom. There's no reason to for most people, really. Someone like Frederick or Stahl, or are either fiercely loyal or a bit more wishy washy it makes sense for, but others like Lon'qu just make no sense.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Even if Severa was wrong, the game isn't subtle about Cordelia being in love with someone. Multiple entire support conversations are about it without specifying who until the S rank. Even if you married her to Robin, Kellam, or Donnel, where it isn't mentioned, as soon as Severa states her suspicions it's clear who the person was that she had a crush on.

And even if you discount all that, it's still awful trying to pair her up and getting constantly reminded that she loves someone else. Even if she's come to love the person you pair her up with more, it's just off putting that they'd even bring up Chrom. There's no reason to for most people, really. Someone like Frederick or Stahl, or are either fiercely loyal or a bit more wishy washy it makes sense for, but others like Lon'qu just make no sense.
It isn't "being constantly reminded." It happens a total of two times. Severa's support conversations, where she's wrong, the Golden Gaffe, which is optional. You may count the rosters, but again, no one reads those. And when she says, "I'll do this and more for him", when she's married, she's referring to her spouse. It's just plain sad how that works out, and it's part of the reason why I can't support the Cordelia hate. You're not being constantly reminded that she has a crush on someone else. It happens TWICE.

D

Deleted member

Eh.
I really don't care about the relationships, marriages, and shipping in Awakening. When I did though, they just happened. Like, when I reached two characters to their S-Support, I thought, "OK! I'll let this happen!" I really didn't intend on characters getting married on my first playthrough.
I really didn't purposefully intend on characters getting married except for two occasions (first was Robin & Tharja and second was Chrom & Sumia since the second one is considered canon).

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
besides how power he/she looks with the tomes and the sword he/she can also do air smash hits something no one else can do I see robin being mid/mid upper tier

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I was thinking more along the lines of "if you aim it up while in the air, you get pushed down" obviously. Think Pikachus Quick Attack. You press in the direction you want to go. Since Robin fires 2 Blades in succession you could use the first to push yourself upwards and the second to push yourself sideways. On the ground you simply wouldn't get pushed when aiming at any direction. Sure, this would mean you would have to press the opposite direction of where you want the blade to go, but frankly, i don't think this is a problem as it is a rescue first and a projectile as a nice bonus.

Example if this wasn't clear : You press UP-B : you fire a blade down and propel upwards. You press UP-B -> Right, you propel yourself to the right, the projectile goes to the left etc.
I gotcha, I wasn't sure if that's what you were trying to say. I thought you were using the Fox Fire comparison for strictly aiming. Perhaps the first could always launch you upward and the second you could control? The opposite direction thing may get a little sticky otherwise.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Haven't played any FE yet, but bought Awakening to play when i leave on my vacation to Denmark X) So only thing i can really answer is :

"What would you change about Awakening?" because my answer is "Add the Necromancer class". Actually that'd be my answer to about any Game that doesn't have them, because they are simply my most favourite class of all time (mind you, only the type from Guild Wars 2, Age of Conan, Diablo 2 or the modclass from Torchlight 2, because i don't like full puppeteer classes. In those games Necromancers are pretty much "Jacks of all Trades, Masters of none", able to fight at long and close range, have direct damage and DoT spells, aswell as healing/life drain and summons).

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I gotcha, I wasn't sure if that's what you were trying to say. I thought you were using the Fox Fire comparison for strictly aiming. Perhaps the first could always launch you upward and the second you could control? The opposite direction thing may get a little sticky otherwise.
The problem is that that wouldn't solve the grounded ElWind problem, but yes, i also mentioned that there doesn't seem enough time to choose the angle of the bade... But i think in Pikachus case it also works in the direction you press on the first usage even though the timeframe is short as hell, thats how you can that infinite Quick-Attack nonsense X)

For reference, this is trhe picture i based my theory on. It might be angeled weirdly too look this way, but the Ship in the background wouldn't match that angle then.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would play as female Robin, IF I could get S-Rank with Lucina. Or some of the other girls I guess.
Yuri should've totally been a thing in Awakening. It would've sold better.
I think I read in TvTropes that you can play as :4robinf: and get A rank with all characters. While that isn't the same as S-Rank, you can not marry Robin to any character and pretend she has a harem :p But seriously, if the next Fire Emblem game has this "date sim" aspect like Awakening, they should totally allow gay pairings (and the same is valid for Persona 5, for those who are familiar with the series).

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It must really be annoying to not like Cordelia when she's one of the strongest units in the game. :troll:

Khoru

Smash Champion
I think I read in TvTropes that you can play as :4robinf: and get A rank with all characters. While that isn't the same as S-Rank, you can not marry Robin to any character and pretend she has a harem :p But seriously, if the next Fire Emblem game has this "date sim" aspect like Awakening, they should totally allow gay pairings (and the same is valid for Persona 5, for those who are familiar with the series).
this presents a sorta big problem if there's a second generation though barring not everyone being cis

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
this presents a sorta big problem if there's a second generation though barring not everyone being cis
It's worth considering that Fire Emblem games -are- predominantly war stories, and the series is no stranger to orphans. Not pushing any politics here, but I don't personally feel like it would be all that out of place to have same-sex couples take in some of the orphans they encounter along the way. That is, if the game is necessarily as determined to make you pair everyone up as Awakening is; I could just as happily do without the marriage mechanic. Having supports hook up in the epilogue like past games have done is fine by me.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin

You must hate Tharja...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Since that picture is on the Mario Galaxy stage, which we know has naturally angled trajectories due to the center of gravity being directed towards the center of the planet rather than the bottom, we can't form definitive conclusions about Elwind's trajectories based solely on that shot.

Khoru

Smash Champion
It's worth considering that Fire Emblem games -are- predominantly war stories, and the series is no stranger to orphans. Not pushing any politics here, but I don't personally feel like it would be all that out of place to have same-sex couples take in some of the orphans they encounter along the way. That is, if the game is necessarily as determined to make you pair everyone up as Awakening is; I could just as happily do without the marriage mechanic. Having supports hook up in the epilogue like past games have done is fine by me.
nono i totally get that! i just don't really think they'd implement it ;n;

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
You must hate Tharja...
I probably would if I ever used her. As it is, I don't really care for her so her only role when I play is to get an S rank asap, give birth to Noire, and then get benched immediately after.

As for the whole gay pairings thing... it's not like it hasn't been heavily implied before. The two closest canon pairings for Ike are both with other guys.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Heavily implied is not enough to me. A game with strong date sim aspects isn't providing a complete experience with only hetero pairings.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I probably would if I ever used her. As it is, I don't really care for her so her only role when I play is to get an S rank asap, give birth to Noire, and then get benched immediately after.

As for the whole gay pairings thing... it's not like it hasn't been heavily implied before. The two closest canon pairings for Ike are both with other guys.
Poor Tharja, left alone in the shadows by yet another Tactician.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that that wouldn't solve the grounded ElWind problem, but yes, i also mentioned that there doesn't seem enough time to choose the angle of the bade... But i think in Pikachus case it also works in the direction you press on the first usage even though the timeframe is short as hell, thats how you can that infinite Quick-Attack nonsense X)

For reference, this is trhe picture i based my theory on. It might be angeled weirdly too look this way, but the Ship in the background wouldn't match that angle then.
The weird thing is that animation doesn't match what he does in the actual video.

Top Bottom