• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Heavily implied is not enough to me. A game with strong date sim aspects isn't providing a complete experience with only hetero pairings.
I wouldn't be that surprised if Fire Emblem stops teasing us before too long and just takes the plunge. Developers are starting to pay more attention to representation in their games. I mean, the FE writers obviously love their same-sex pairings; the subtext is everywhere. If anything is standing in the way of that effort, it's probably Nintendo being too afraid of backlash, what with trying to make all their first and second-party titles as "family friendly" read: watered down and safe as possible. But they're starting to get backlash for stuff like Tomodachi Life as well, so maybe they'll change their tune soon enough.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wouldn't be that surprised if Fire Emblem stops teasing us before too long and just takes the plunge. Developers are starting to pay more attention to representation in their games. I mean, the FE writers obviously love their same-sex pairings; the subtext is everywhere. If anything is standing in the way of that effort, it's probably Nintendo being too afraid of backlash, what with trying to make all their first and second-party titles as "family friendly" read: watered down and safe as possible. But they're starting to get backlash for stuff like Tomodachi Life as well, so maybe they'll change their tune soon enough.
Yeah, the Tomodachi Life dilemma about the game not allowing same sex relationships could mean any future game in the Tomodachi Life series, as well as perhaps Fire Emblem may feature same sex relationships (if Nintendo is smart enough to make changes based on the feedback they got (protip: they aren't). Hopefully this is the case, not only Nintendo, but most developers need to evolve in this aspect. I like how Bioware allows gay and lesbian relationships in their games (though the way it works in Mass Effect still is a bit "rough" and lacks polish, but at least they are giving us the option). That alone is far better than most developers ignoring a BIG part of the population isn't interested in heterosexual relationship.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
While it doesn't explain why second generation kids couldn't have same sex couples, I'm fairly sure they didn't include it in the first generation to prevent you from missing out on the second generation as much as possible.

Fire Emblem's always pushed the envelope when it comes to love. There's many instances of incestuous relationships, homosexual relationships, age gaps, interspecies, etc.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Yeah, the Tomodachi Life dilemma about the game not allowing same sex relationships could mean any future game in the Tomodachi Life series, as well as perhaps Fire Emblem may feature same sex relationships (if Nintendo is smart enough to make changes based on the feedback they got (protip: they aren't). Hopefully this is the case, not only Nintendo, but most developers need to evolve in this aspect. I like how Bioware allows gay and lesbian relationships in their games (though the way it works in Mass Effect still is a bit "rough" and lacks polish, but at least they are giving us the option). That alone is far better than most developers ignoring a BIG part of the population isn't interested in heterosexual relationship.
Yeah... I imagine the people working for big publishers who have a say in these sorts of things don't tend to think they're missing out on potential audiences when they don't give representation a chance, but I can say from personal experience that that simply isn't true. Truth be told, the only reason I held out on picking up Awakening for as long as I did was that I didn't feel comfortable with how the game literally withholds content from you if you don't consent to heterosexual pairings for many of your units. Perhaps I am the only one who felt this way, and an audience of one is nothing to market to, but I kinda doubt that's the case.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The problem is that that wouldn't solve the grounded ElWind problem, but yes, i also mentioned that there doesn't seem enough time to choose the angle of the bade... But i think in Pikachus case it also works in the direction you press on the first usage even though the timeframe is short as hell, thats how you can that infinite Quick-Attack nonsense X)

For reference, this is trhe picture i based my theory on. It might be angeled weirdly too look this way, but the Ship in the background wouldn't match that angle then.
Pikachu's does, yes. I was suggesting something new. As for the stage background, SMG might not be the best stage to base things around background object placement. It is outer space and the ship also could have been at a weird angle but looks straight due to the pic's angle.

Since that picture is on the Mario Galaxy stage, which we know has naturally angled trajectories due to the center of gravity being directed towards the center of the planet rather than the bottom, we can't form definitive conclusions about Elwind's trajectories based solely on that shot.
Oh, wow, I forgot about that. This is likely what's happening.

Last edited:

Reila

Yeah... I imagine the people working for big publishers who have a say in these sorts of things don't tend to think they're missing out on potential audiences when they don't give representation a chance, but I can say from personal experience that that simply isn't true. Truth be told, the only reason I held out on picking up Awakening for as long as I did was that I didn't feel comfortable with how the game literally withholds content from you if you don't consent to heterosexual pairings for many of your units. Perhaps I am the only one who felt this way, and an audience of one is nothing to market to, but I kinda doubt that's the case.
I think it is a fair reason for skipping on the game (or holding out on picking it for a long time). Not related to Fire Emblem, but I promised to myself that I am not buying Persona 5 if ATLUS doesn't give us a female protagonist again (girls and boys who like playing as female characters were completely neglected in Persona 4 and Persona Q, after Persona 3 Portable having full-fledged different paths for both male and female protagonist)... It would be amazing if they acknowledged the LGBT community and decided to give us the option to date characters of the same sex, since there are gay characters in some of their games, but I have little to no hope of that happening. So yeah... Aside from complaining in the internet, signing petitions (which do not really work with Nintendo, but at least it serves to make them aware of the problem), the best one can do is "vote with their wallet". If you don't like the way the developers did something in a game, then don't buy/support it. I do think Fire Emblem Awakening does a lot of things right, so even if the game doesn't give us the opportunity of pairing characters of the same sex, it is still a great game and it would be a shame to not play it.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
I think it is a fair reason for skipping on the game (or holding out on picking it for a long time). Not related to Fire Emblem, but I promised to myself that I am not buying Persona 5 if ATLUS doesn't give us a female protagonist again (girls and boys who like playing as female characters were completely neglected in Persona 4 and Persona Q, after Persona 3 Portable having full-fledged different paths for both male and female protagonist)... It would be amazing if they acknowledged the LGBT community and decided to give us the option to date characters of the same sex, since there are gay characters in some of their games, but I have little to no hope of that happening. So yeah... Aside from complaining in the internet, signing petitions (which do not really work with Nintendo, but at least it serves to make them aware of the problem), the best one can do is "vote with their wallet". If you don't like the way the developers did something in a game, then don't buy/support it. I do think Fire Emblem Awakening does a lot of things right, so even if the game doesn't give us the opportunity of pairing characters of the same sex, it is still a great game and it would be a shame to not play it.

Oh god, I could go on for hours about all the things the Persona 3/4 universe tries to tackle maturely before backpedaling HARD. I don't want to derail the topic with Persona talk though. But really, what did they do to you FeMC? ;_;

Agreed on the point of voting with your wallet. My interest in Awakening has finally outweighed my reservations though, and I'm finding plenty to enjoy with the game to offset the things I don't care for.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm fairly certain homosexual relationships weren't considered because the children were integral parts of the story. It would have made it all too confusing if you had to find a surrogate or other means for characters to have a child because they were in same sex relationships. I suppose, though, that continuing the bloodline was an only an important part of the story for Lucina. So everyone else could have adopted, but even so getting that much control over everyone's love lives would be odd. It was weird enough being able to essentially pick and choose who everyone fell in love with, without you also being able to decide everyone's sexuality.

Although, I can't deny that Chrom being gay would have made him far more interesting.

Reila

Oh god, I could go on for hours about all the things the Persona 3/4 universe tries to tackle maturely before backpedaling HARD. I don't want to derail the topic with Persona talk though. But really, what did they do to you FeMC? ;_;

Agreed on the point of voting with your wallet. My interest in Awakening has finally outweighed my reservations though, and I'm finding plenty to enjoy with the game to offset the things I don't care for.
Right? They completely neglected Hamuko (or FeMC, as most people call her) after Persona 3 Portable. It hurts, ATLUS... it hurts.

But yes, lets not derail the thread with Persona talk. :)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Not to take this off-topic, but I completely agree with you on the matter of Persona 4's lack of optional female protagonist and sub sequential retcon of "Minako Arisato". As a guy who loves the option of choosing your protagonist's gender in RPGs, I was sorely disappointed when they didn't do that with Persona 4 Golden. I might just get a PS3 for the sake of playing P5 if they included that option again.

But anyways, I'm glad that Nintendo (or at least Sakurai) is making efforts to balance the gender ratio in this game. Female!Robin has always resonated with me better as a brilliant tactician than the male version, anyways.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Although, I can't deny that Chrom being gay would have made him far more interesting.
As someone who happily married Chrom, I strongly disagree with this statement.

Also, I feel like aif the gay marriage mechanic is incorporated then you'd have to predetermine who's gay and who's not, otherwise you have this weird situation where every character can choose to be gay for you and that just has certain inaccurate implications. While not exactly a problem, I could see people complaining about how they wanted to be with [x character] but they can't because that character is gay/not gay.

In short, I think w.e. they do people will complain, so I just see it as a situation of they wanted the game mechanic just to have a children's future generation.

I'd rather there's no future shenanigans in the future and they just have it like before where each character had a group of other characters they could potentially marry.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Just take the easy route: Give every character an assortment of characters, female or male, that would give them a special ending if they reach A/S Support.

I doubt a single line of text at the Epilogue is going to be a make-or-break moment for any consumer, especially in this day and age.

And just scrap the children mechanic, especially for army-building. I don't know if it's just my PoR or Shadow Dragon bias showing, but I think building your army through enemy recruitment throughout a long single war just works better for that Fire Emblem ambiance and lore. Gaius and Tharja being the only 1st-generation enemy recruits bugged me.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
But the children mechanic is my favorite part of the game. Also probably why my favorite FE overall is Genealogy, but still! That gives it infinitely more replayability in my opinion.

That said, I would appreciate more recruitment of enemy characters. If nothing else, it made you plan better so you didn't just annihilate everything in sight.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I remember Raven and Guy being awesome enemy recruits that were a pain to reach in harder modes. I think the very first time I played Fire Emblem I completely missed Raven and thought he'd just join as soon as the chapter ended. But nope, dead.

Also reminds me of how the first game was publicized with the whole idea of being careful of who you trust and stuff like that, but it wasn't until Sacred Stones that you actually had one of your units turn on you. A lot of Sacred Stones was forgettable to me, but that bit was definitely a pleasant turn of events.

D

Deleted member

If I weren't lazy, I would photoshop Chrom's face in this gif and change the text to "Chrom is here! Chrom is rekt!".
But that would be mean, wouldn't it.
Well you already said Chrom was Nintendo's Yamcha, so you might as well go completely through with it.

:p

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
If I weren't lazy, I would photoshop Chrom's face in this gif and change the text to "Chrom is here! Chrom is rekt!".
But that would be mean, wouldn't it.
I would love you forever if you did...but only if it was "Chrom is here! DISCONFIRMED!!"

Last edited:

Reila

I would actually have to look for the .gif without the text. I might do that tomorrow, since I am going to sleep soon. ^^

Reila

My bestfriend and I both want hooded Robin for both genders, but I'd also love to see pink hair for female Robin at least. It's the only thing she's missing. I just love pink hair don't judge me x.x
Who doesn't?

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Alright, so it seems our understanding of Robin's moveset has reached a plateau. So here's a compilation of what we've got so far, as I understand it.

Robin's Normals

Jab (variation)
Dash Attack (unknown)

Utilt (unknown)
Ftilt (unknown)
Dtilt

Usmash (unknown)
Fsmash
Dsmash

Nair (unknown)
Uair (unknown)
Fair
Bair (?)
Dair (?)

(Note that some, likely all, of Robin's directional aerials have a Bronze Sword and Levin Sword.)

Robin's Specials

Neutral Special: Thunder - Elthunder - Arcthunder - Thoron
Up Special: Elwind
Forward Special: Arcfire
Down Special: Nosferatu

Robin's Throws

Grab and Pummel
Up Throw (?)
Forward Throw (unknown)
Back Throw
Down Throw (unknown)

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
TOO LATE.

I'm still 100% disgusted. :p

You'd think I'd be able to tolerate it somewhat since @Hong did it/does that to all of us pre-reveal Robin Thread Regulars (and does so to almost everyone else anywhere) but

NOPE. STILL GROSS.
Hang on a tic: Reila's profile lists her as female, yet I'M the "DISGUSTING" one for making a sweet reply, despite being male? HAS NO-ONE BEEN READING THESE LAST FEW PAGES?!

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
They don't call Chrom "Nintendo's Yamcha" for nothing :p
Seriously Chrom is a terrible unit in the actual game. He has the potential with Aether/Rightful King, but he seems to like having more luck than any sort of defensive stat. T_T Too hard to use I.M.O.

With the Dread Fighter's Aggressor and Res+10 skills however it helps round him out appropriately. (There are still better units for the job though... *cough* Gerome *cough*)

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Could someone please teach me how to post YouTube links like The Soulless One did?
In order to embed a video all you have to do is copy the video URL and then click on the "embed media" button in the post options menu above your post (2 to the right of the emoticon menu button), then paste the URL into that space and hit "Embed" and it will embed the video into your post.

For example, with the video you just linked:

Hang on a tic: Reila's profile lists her as female, yet I'M the "DISGUSTING" one for making a sweet reply, despite being male? HAS NO-ONE BEEN READING THESE LAST FEW PAGES?!
No, I think all love is disgusting, silly.

Read my status to get an idea.

I only like to joke about shipping Robin (and Ridley) with everything in sight because it amuses me, but from a sincere standpoint I abhor it. :p

/serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
In order to embed a video all you have to do is copy the video URL and then click on the "embed media" button in the post options menu above your post (2 to the right of the emoticon menu button), then paste the URL into that space and hit "Embed" and it will embed the video into your post.

For example, with the video you just linked:

No, I think all love is disgusting, silly.

Read my status to get an idea

I only like to joke about shipping Robin (and Ridley) with everything in sight because it amuses me, but from a sincere standpoint I abhor it. :p

/serious.
Oh. Well then. Carry on.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Seriously Chrom is a terrible unit in the actual game. He has the potential with Aether/Rightful King, but he seems to like having more luck than any sort of defensive stat. T_T Too hard to use I.M.O.

With the Dread Fighter's Aggressor and Res+10 skills however it helps round him out appropriately. (There are still better units for the job though... *cough* Gerome *cough*)
Chrom has a 45% growth rate for Def and 25% growth rate for Res on his default Lord/Great Lord class and even when class change these rates don't change that much (for Great Knight/Snipe Def becomes 50% while for Paladin Res becomes 30% and for Bow Knight Def becomes 40%). Where as his Lck has a 70% growth rate. Chrom is meant to be an offensive unit with his barely changing 60% Str, 60% Skl, and 60% Spd and should be used accordingly.

Rounded out characters are generally detrimental in the long run and are out classed by centralized characters more. Chrom is basically a slightly stronger, slightly slower, slightly bulkier Myrmidon.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Chrom has a 45% growth rate for Def and 25% growth rate for Res on his default Lord/Great Lord class and even when class change these rates don't change that much (for Great Knight/Snipe Def becomes 50% while for Paladin Res becomes 30% and for Bow Knight Def becomes 40%). Where as his Lck has a 70% growth rate. Chrom is meant to be an offensive unit with his barely changing 60% Str, 60% Skl, and 60% Spd and should be used accordingly.

Rounded out characters are generally detrimental in the long run and are out classed by centralized characters more. Chrom is basically a slightly stronger, slightly slower, slightly bulkier Myrmidon.
I know he is an offensive unit... but his damage is still lackluster if he doesn't have Aether proc and he is WAYYYY too easy to kill. He still has great speed and Luck is a terrible stat (not useless). I'll take my Galeforce units or Gerome the unstoppable anyday over Chrom.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
...and here I am just leveling up whoever the hell I want because **** lunatic.

I'll just stick to hard mode so I don't have to worry about all of that...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I know he is an offensive unit... but his damage is still lackluster and he is WAYYYY too easy to kill. He still has great speed and Luck is a terrible stat (not useless). I'll take my Galeforce units or Gerome the unstoppable anyday over Chrom.
You are getting RNG screwed then.

Which is why personal experience means nothing when talking about viable units in FE.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
RNG can get pretty lulzy at times.

My current playthrough of PoR has a level 16 Ike with 17 Str, 15 Mag, and 14 Res, for Naga's sake.

At least with Awakening and Golden Gaffe, you can theoretically level up indefinitely and get all stats capped in the end.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so it seems our understanding of Robin's moveset has reached a plateau. So here's a compilation of what we've got so far, as I understand it.

Robin's Normals

Jab (variation)
Dash Attack (unknown)

Utilt (unknown)
Ftilt (unknown)
Dtilt

Usmash (unknown)
Fsmash
Dsmash

Nair (unknown)
Uair (unknown)
Fair
Bair (?)
Dair (?)

(Note that some, likely all, of Robin's directional aerials have a Bronze Sword and Levin Sword.)

Robin's Specials

Neutral Special: Thunder - Elthunder - Arcthunder - Thoron
Up Special: Elwind
Forward Special: Arcfire
Down Special: Nosferatu

Robin's Throws

Grab and Pummel
Up Throw (?)
Forward Throw (unknown)
Back Throw
Down Throw (unknown)
Near the end of the "By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame" trailer, when Robin says 'Worthy opponents indeed!' he appears to do some sort of simple attack; I think this is his ftilt. It also looks strikingly similar to what you currently have listed as his Fsmash, the only notable difference being the type of sword used. I'd therefor hazard a guess that what you have listed as his DSmash is his FSmash and his current FSmash is a tilt.

Top Bottom