• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
It's okay for characters to have losing matchups. ZSS doesn't need a sex kick for any sort of balancing reasons. If she loses to spacies, then oh well. She has a pretty aight matchup spread on the rest of the cast, tbh, so I don't see the bad spacie matchup as anything catastrophic.

If we were to give ZSS a sex kick for any reason, it should be because of its potential for smutty jokes.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
An anti spacy upthrow would be really nice, but I'm not sure how it could be implemented without it being busted against non-spacy characters. If it were possible somehow, that'd be perfect.

But anyway, the move I had in mind would replace her upsmash and would be kinda like the first hitbox of up-b, but wider and shorter (kinda like roy upsmash, but not multihit) with low lag. Not gonna try to explain the knockback right now because I'm really tired and I couldn't really tell what would work and what would be busted without testing it.
Well for an anti-spacie throw it doesn't necessarily need to chain grab, it just needs to guarantee a follow-up hit that can lead into additional hits against a spacie. Mewtwo's upthrow is a good example- I think it can only CG fox, and only for the first throw, but it's still an amazing throw vs spacies because it guarantees he gets an aerial off, usually fair which juggles them vertically or uair to position them properly for another hit/grab. M2's uthrow doesn't really guarantee anything else on other characters afaik, they can jump out and default to bad positioning rather than a guaranteed follow-up based on where on the stage they are. ZSS could possibly get something like that, with less KBG so it doesn't kill until much later and/or maybe less BKB so she can get off a few chain throws on spacies (so somewhere in between marth and m2). It would still be better than any other of her throws currently are on most of the cast, but so long as it wasn't super quick to end and wasn't super quick to start, and also had a weight dependent animation, it wouldn't be absurd. Weight dependency and reasonable endlag for its knockback means it doesn't really combo heavies until higher percents- Fox's uthrow is like that in fact (heavies can jump out), but ZSS wouldn't be using a kill move as a follow up lol. A decent start-up animation means people have decision making time to DI onto platforms, also unlike Fox's uthrow, so that's multiple regards in which it would be less absurd but still good enough to shift spacies matchups to a less awful position for her.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Yoshi should be higher, Ness a bit higher, Meta Knight as well.
I would say Oli as well, but I'll wait for 3.6 9.9

Yoshi has DJC, Heavy Armor to force through things with his DJ, pretty godly CC game, a decent projectile and tough to kill due his weight. Still craps himself over footstools, but there's not much else holding him down that much (besides not being fox). Mid for sure.

Ask Boiko about Ness. Hell, type in Ness in the search bar and you'll see him post wall of texts in defense of the character. I doubt if he's a solid mid tier but he's not exactly bottom tier material either.

Meta Knight still gimps with the best of em, and has a great variety of recovery mix ups. Being weak to CC and being the second lightest character in the game, iirc, don't help much, but DD abuse to bait and punish can help with the former and not getting hit can help with the latter. Unsure of where he stands now, though.

It seems that half of the bottom seems to be lack of representation in the tier list poster's scene and the other half bandwagoning the fug on a character (See Oli). I'm sure there are other characters that could get bumped higher, but those stood out to me the most.

Thank you for the response.

I am not suggesting that those are bad characters, or unable to perform well in tournament. I am only suggesting that they are worse off by enough to notice. Not every character can be mid. All characters have good tools, but it is the flexibility and consistency of those tools that determine their strength, rather than their best-case scenario.

As for representation, I have played against very good players of all characters in my scene (MA) fairly consistently. I genuinely do not believe that Yoshi, MK, Olimar, or Ness are better than half of the cast. I could see arguments made to put all of the lowest tier into the tier above, and I may do so. But I wanted to get some discussion going, so I didn't.

My bad, sorry. My point stands, though - it's all but completely undeniable that those characters do not belong in anywhere near the same tier.

There is some notable dissent about Pit, though. Calabrel thinks he's good. I think he's stark raving mad, but Pit can definitely do some cool stuff.
I think Pit is definitely placed appropriately at the bottom of the cast, tied with other characters that have difficulty abusing their kits. In other words, I think he is a good character that can do things. I would like to hear what makes you think he is clearly worse than the rest of those characters. Perhaps you would rather argue that the specific other characters I've placed there should be moved up?

Edit: Sorry missed this!
I only disagree with samus being so low, she is extremely good.
She has strong flexible tools (projectiles, hard to combo, good recovery) but they can be played around with the basic tools every character has (shield, waiting for her to return to the stage rather than missing a combo and getting hit, repeated edgeguards because her recovery is easy to intercept), thus reducing their consistency. She is also missing the most important tools (shield grab, good approach options, quick moves with low commitment) to take the offensive and thus change her gameplan.

I think most of what makes Samus good is that she forces opponents to try and play her game by potentially camping them with projectiles and then stuffing their approaches. But when this doesn't work she has no fallback plan. What makes her better than the well-rounded, great spacing, or flexible rushdown characters?

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I think Pit is definitely placed appropriately at the bottom of the cast, tied with other characters that have difficulty abusing their kits. In other words, I think he is a good character that can do things. I would like to hear what makes you think he is clearly worse than the rest of those characters.
I'm working on a more detailed response to this. The extreme tl;dr version right now is that his punish game is too unreliable, both in terms of being able to consistently deal significant damage to opponents once a conversion has begun, and in terms of his ability to safely land a kill move or confirm into one. His combo game is even dodgier against small members of the cast, and those with short crouches. His tools to deal with that kind of stuff are too slow, too high-commitment, or too difficult to land pretty much across the board.

It's not that his currently-existing tools are bad, so much as it seems to me like he's missing a few niche, but critical tools that deserve to be there.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Regarding ZSS punishes on spacies.
Tech-chasing them isn't too bad (obviously it's like Falcon) and off a single tech-chase with an aerial, it's a re-grab. That damage goes up quickly.
Something I used to do in the old patch (so I assume it still works) is tech-chase with grounded Up-B. It's nearly instant, so you have lots of time to position well, and whether you clip them with all hits and toss the back to the ground (either for a grab, which will be possible without tether, or another tech-chase), or with just the initial hits (which lines up an aerial, like a SH Uair, that leads into another grab)
Either way, tech-chase with Up-B got me solid follow ups on spacies at low% in the last patch, and I'm sure it's better now with the grab not being a tether. Or simply hitting an aerial > UpB from very low, or UpB OOS, or whatever. Get UpB in there. It's unconventional, but so was most of ZSS's game when it came to counter-play etc with things like Tether-Grabs and a mix of range and functions in her kit.

Pit was the only one in the game that felt completely 'off' on first impression.
I still have only played the new patch ONCE, so might play tomorrow for 2nd impressions and have a better idea.

All others mentioned felt solid. Really solid. Tweaking could help some things work more fluidly or dynamically across a lot of the cast, (so more functionally or less for flow or dynamics) but it's all solid.

I'm glad they got rid of the Samus-Zair-of-win
Stupid move was stupid.

Foo

Smash Lord
Regarding ZSS punishes on spacies.
Tech-chasing them isn't too bad (obviously it's like Falcon) and off a single tech-chase with an aerial, it's a re-grab. That damage goes up quickly.
Something I used to do in the old patch (so I assume it still works) is tech-chase with grounded Up-B. It's nearly instant, so you have lots of time to position well, and whether you clip them with all hits and toss the back to the ground (either for a grab, which will be possible without tether, or another tech-chase), or with just the initial hits (which lines up an aerial, like a SH Uair, that leads into another grab)
Either way, tech-chase with Up-B got me solid follow ups on spacies at low% in the last patch, and I'm sure it's better now with the grab not being a tether. Or simply hitting an aerial > UpB from very low, or UpB OOS, or whatever. Get UpB in there. It's unconventional, but so was most of ZSS's game when it came to counter-play etc with things like Tether-Grabs and a mix of range and functions in her kit.

Pit was the only one in the game that felt completely 'off' on first impression.
I still have only played the new patch ONCE, so might play tomorrow for 2nd impressions and have a better idea.

All others mentioned felt solid. Really solid. Tweaking could help some things work more fluidly or dynamically across a lot of the cast, (so more functionally or less for flow or dynamics) but it's all solid.

I'm glad they got rid of the Samus-Zair-of-win
Stupid move was stupid.
Up-b wasn't unconventional in 3.02, but they nerfed the width of the hitbox really hard in 3.5 making it much less practical. The problem with tech chasing with it is that you have to be basically beside them for it to work. Up-b comes out pretty quickly (frame six) but the extra time it takes to run up to them isn't enough and you are almost certainly going to get shined. Also, one of the things with falcon is that he has tools like raptor boost, falcon upthrow and dair to setup kills off of the tech chases or just extend combos. Zss only ever combos fox on DI up and in, which any fox who knows the matchup would know there are no quick moves you'd need survival DI against unless you get grabbed on ledge or she's facing away, so you always want to be DIing down and away unless you are getting hit by something like fair or fsmash. If her back is turned to bair you, you don't ever need to combo DI.

Well for an anti-spacie throw it doesn't necessarily need to chain grab, it just needs to guarantee a follow-up hit that can lead into additional hits against a spacie. Mewtwo's upthrow is a good example- I think it can only CG fox, and only for the first throw, but it's still an amazing throw vs spacies because it guarantees he gets an aerial off, usually fair which juggles them vertically or uair to position them properly for another hit/grab. M2's uthrow doesn't really guarantee anything else on other characters afaik, they can jump out and default to bad positioning rather than a guaranteed follow-up based on where on the stage they are. ZSS could possibly get something like that, with less KBG so it doesn't kill until much later and/or maybe less BKB so she can get off a few chain throws on spacies (so somewhere in between marth and m2). It would still be better than any other of her throws currently are on most of the cast, but so long as it wasn't super quick to end and wasn't super quick to start, and also had a weight dependent animation, it wouldn't be absurd. Weight dependency and reasonable endlag for its knockback means it doesn't really combo heavies until higher percents- Fox's uthrow is like that in fact (heavies can jump out), but ZSS wouldn't be using a kill move as a follow up lol. A decent start-up animation means people have decision making time to DI onto platforms, also unlike Fox's uthrow, so that's multiple regards in which it would be less absurd but still good enough to shift spacies matchups to a less awful position for her.
Makes sense, but I wouldn't be comfortable saying it's a good idea without testing knockbacks and lags on all characters. Come to think of it though, getting a free aerial off of upthrow still wouldn't be the best since you don't have a move to juggle them with except sorta upsmash (lol fat chance).

4tlas

Smash Lord
I'm working on a more detailed response to this. The extreme tl;dr version right now is that his punish game is too unreliable, both in terms of being able to consistently deal significant damage to opponents once a conversion has begun, and in terms of his ability to safely land a kill move or confirm into one. His combo game is even dodgier against small members of the cast, and those with short crouches. His tools to deal with that kind of stuff are too slow, too high-commitment, or too difficult to land pretty much across the board.

It's not that his currently-existing tools are bad, so much as it seems to me like he's missing a few niche, but critical tools that deserve to be there.
I think these are fair points in saying that Pit is bottom of the cast, but why is he WORSE than the other characters I've put down there? Maybe a better way to ask it is "what makes those characters any better".

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I don't get why people think ZSS needs both Falcon-like movement AND Falcon-like punishes when she's not nearly as fragile and has a much more flexible recovery and defensive game in general

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I don't get why people think ZSS needs both Falcon-like movement AND Falcon-like punishes when she's not nearly as fragile and has a much more flexible recovery and defensive game in general
Because everyone wishes they could have Stomp > read a book > eat a sandwich > have a beer > knee for their character

MLGF

Smash Lord
And men are dumb
Like, check your privilege man.

In all seriousness, why would you want another Falcon esque character when we still have Falcon. The more I see ZSS, the more I feel she's a fun and unique character all her own.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
we need to appeal to our female demographic. female Falcon would be great

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Up-b wasn't unconventional in 3.02, but they nerfed the width of the hitbox really hard in 3.5 making it much less practical. The problem with tech chasing with it is that you have to be basically beside them for it to work. Up-b comes out pretty quickly (frame six) but the extra time it takes to run up to them isn't enough and you are almost certainly going to get shined. Also, one of the things with falcon is that he has tools like raptor boost, falcon upthrow and dair to setup kills off of the tech chases or just extend combos. Zss only ever combos fox on DI up and in, which any fox who knows the matchup would know there are no quick moves you'd need survival DI against unless you get grabbed on ledge or she's facing away, so you always want to be DIing down and away unless you are getting hit by something like fair or fsmash. If her back is turned to bair you, you don't ever need to combo DI.
Just read the patch-notes, indeed she's been through a lot.
If people can tech-chase with her 3.5 Grab, tech-chasing with UpB in 3.02 shouldn't have been any harder. I could see that being less functional now for sure, yeah.
Even if characters have things (Falcon's Dair) that can allow knock-down to continue on spacies after a throw at 0%, it doesn't mean that's optimal or necessary. ZSS can Nair/Uair/Bair and re-grab without any knock-down at lower % if she doesn't go for a grab. Nair might not be strong enough to lead into a grab right at 0% anymore though.

I see Down-B was nerfed more too. That's probably good, though that can knock-down at 0% too, and it's no riskier than Raptor boost (which spacies can CC at lower %, where they can't against Dive-Kick)
That move was like Samus-Zair when it first came out, glad it's been getting hit. Freaking stupid move. (Those 2 and a few others were better than Shine at one point)
Instant invincible high mobility get out of everything and recover for free card, tagged on to a follow-up lingering hitbox at high speed like an MK Dive that you could cancel anytime. Still not sure if the whole 'using twice a second from the ledge for the most OP edge-guarding wall in smash history' ever made it to the mainstay, by mah gawd was that stupid. It was already invincible and could be any distance around her faster than her already fast dash. lol

Her speed is so solid on the ground that it'll work fine long-term for spacie-handling anyway. It's not like Dsmash and Side-B and all her other mix-up tricks are useless, just takes some flare and creativity to make it work, and that's a good thing.

Playing MK makes every other character feel like a final-boss, he's fun like that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
*Eyes dart around the room*

So uh, how bout them Lakers???

*Hope no one notices my 12 jillion Falcon main icons*

O ciN

Smash Rookie
This is completely off current topic, but I've been wanting to hear peoples opinions on snake, he seems pretty solid to me, with his crazy stage control, mines, good kill moves (fair, uair, etc) I just wanted to hear what other people think about him.

*Really hope someone notices the fact that I said snake seems solid... heh*

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
This is completely off current topic, but I've been wanting to hear peoples opinions on snake, he seems pretty solid to me, with his crazy stage control, mines, good kill moves (fair, uair, etc) I just wanted to hear what other people think about him.
He's pretty much what you just described along with forcing people to play more carefully because of all the things he can do with grenades, c4s and mines but his problem is that he needs to be able to set up. If your constantly in his face he can't do much, just look game #3 between Axe and Messi during Grand Finals at Revelations 2. Sadly though people seem to consider Snake broken after Messi beat M2K based on the twitch chat at the time lol

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

Makes sense, but I wouldn't be comfortable saying it's a good idea without testing knockbacks and lags on all characters. Come to think of it though, getting a free aerial off of upthrow still wouldn't be the best since you don't have a move to juggle them with except sorta upsmash (lol fat chance).
As far as spacies go, you don't need to juggle them. The goal would be to uthrow them, then use a weakfish aerial that won't knock them down with a timing that lets you land first, them regrab before they land or before their landing lag finishes. Mewtwo can do the same thing- assuming you're not dealing with platforms, uthrow SH fair regrab puts them at 28%, then you uthrow FH fair DJC upair, allowing you to land right after the upair and stunning them weakly above the ground for another regrab. With ZSS, assuming she had a throw to do it, she'd probably do a late Nair or Uair into a regrab.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^That's basically what I described in terms of what ZSS can already do off tech-chases, which she can easily do given her speed. Making something so direct isn't necessary across the cast. Despite how much it helps characters deal with things (Fox needing things that 'work' against him), it's not good for the game at large to have everyone given the tools needed for every situation.
Have her gibbled when it comes to comboing spacies. She was gibbled against shields, made 'odd' counter-play, gotta leave SOMETHING in this game-play stuff.

Foo

Smash Lord
Just read the patch-notes, indeed she's been through a lot.
If people can tech-chase with her 3.5 Grab, tech-chasing with UpB in 3.02 shouldn't have been any harder. I could see that being less functional now for sure, yeah.
Even if characters have things (Falcon's Dair) that can allow knock-down to continue on spacies after a throw at 0%, it doesn't mean that's optimal or necessary. ZSS can Nair/Uair/Bair and re-grab without any knock-down at lower % if she doesn't go for a grab. Nair might not be strong enough to lead into a grab right at 0% anymore though.
I wasn't talking about continued knockdown on spacies, that's not problem, I'm talking about popping them up for combos. Falcon can do stuff like upthrow (tech chase) into stomp into raptor boost into upair and stuff like that. ZSS can only continue to "combo" with more and more tech chases. Also, from my testing, zss can't aerial to grab on spacies at low %s, they will almost always shine or roll, spot dodge, jab, or whatever out of it.

Maybe with some really precise inputs in certain spots, it'd work, idk, haven't tested that, but from all of my experience in tournament and messing around against AI, it isn't a true link.

As far as spacies go, you don't need to juggle them. The goal would be to uthrow them, then use a weakfish aerial that won't knock them down with a timing that lets you land first, them regrab before they land or before their landing lag finishes. Mewtwo can do the same thing- assuming you're not dealing with platforms, uthrow SH fair regrab puts them at 28%, then you uthrow FH fair DJC upair, allowing you to land right after the upair and stunning them weakly above the ground for another regrab. With ZSS, assuming she had a throw to do it, she'd probably do a late Nair or Uair into a regrab.
Again, makes sense, but I'd have to see how it played out in game before judging it one way or another. If it would work in the way you suggested, it'd be awesome, but idk.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
^That's basically what I described in terms of what ZSS can already do off tech-chases, which she can easily do given her speed. Making something so direct isn't necessary across the cast. Despite how much it helps characters deal with things (Fox needing things that 'work' against him), it's not good for the game at large to have everyone given the tools needed for every situation.
Have her gibbled when it comes to comboing spacies. She was gibbled against shields, made 'odd' counter-play, gotta leave SOMETHING in this game-play stuff.
ZSS isn't sheik, the only thing she really has to tech chase with is grabs. Sheik has a dash attack that lets her convert off tech chasing spacies past like 52%. ZSS dash attack doesn't get her anything afaik so spacies could just force the tech chase to stay relatively center stage until ZSS misses something, attempts and misses a read to actually get something going that isn't a throw, or get her to miss a jab reset/other punish with the awkward spacing of DI away into missed tech. Her jab is kinda high even with the weird hitboxes and her other moves aren't quick enough or won't convert as well. Show me someone who can tech chase 100% of the time and I'll show you a liar

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Sheiks dash-attack can also knock them down at 18ish% if they don't CC. lol

That's where getting them off stage, or clipping them with UpB/SideB comes in. With the nerf to UpB (and SideB apparently in the patch notes), it's sadface. I don't remember ever needing to jab reset a spacie. I think I would just UpB if that ever came up. If that doesn't work anymore either, then lol.
Foo, how is Utilt in terms of knocking them down (through CC maybe) at lower %?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Sheiks dash-attack can also knock them down at 18ish% if they don't CC. lol

That's where getting them off stage, or clipping them with UpB/SideB comes in. With the nerf to UpB (and SideB apparently in the patch notes), it's sadface. I don't remember ever needing to jab reset a spacie. I think I would just UpB if that ever came up. If that doesn't work anymore either, then lol.
Foo, how is Utilt in terms of knocking them down (through CC maybe) at lower %?
If you're tech chasing them, they don't really have to go by the edge, they have DI+tech direction to help manage their position so you don't ever get the chance to throw them off.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
LOL FreeGamer

At the very least, if the stage is BF/etc size, it can be an easy and decent chunk of free damage that may add up to enough for an actual hit that can send them off stage. A single Dsmash chase and it's only a grab or 2 to get them in an edge-guard position. At worst, they get away to ledge early and still don't have any stage-control if that's the option you don't make sure to cover given you cover all on the inside. Just mapping it out a bit, so some theory stuff here.
I'd still risk going for UpBs all day, with a Dsmash off easy chases. Moves are too sexy. Will play some more 3.5 ZSS and see what I can come up with.
Everyone seems to think she's hurting here as if it stands out like a sore thumb, and that's the funnest stuff to explore.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Really tho:

*Falcon does random Crap that leads to guaranteed knee*

*pm character does something that leads into a kill option*

Sup wit dat

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
What if every character with an obnoxious combo throw is instead given DI-mixup throws? Similar to Sheik and Lucario?

To give an example, when Falcon grabs you, his choice is to upthrow or dthrow, right? With optimal DI for dthrow being down+away, optimal DI for uthrow would be up+away. Guess right and he doesn't get a followup. I feel like its a good balance change for characters, like Falcon, that rely on their grabs. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
If we went back to a good chunk of the roster having that cheese, I'd be fine with it. If we toned it down on everyone, Falcon included, I'd be fine with that too. It's the inconsistent design that I find appalling.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'd rather have everyone buffed slightly. the game would definitely be more fun then

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
not my fault nerfs are boring

maybe if falcon got put under that kind of scrutiny you would find 3.5 dull too

Last edited:
Top Bottom