• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Bowser changes will require adaptation but you can't deny that he has fattie syndrome and a horrid techroll.

The gaps between characters isn't as much as other Smash games but that doesn't not make Bowser on the lower end of the spectrum this patch.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
This already happens. You mean if you hit the unloaded space while she's transforming? I don't think that's possible.

If you want to prevent CSS abuse by picking one, Transforming to the other, and then STAYING as the other, then force them to start each stock as the originally selected character and disallow Transform for a certain amount of time after spawn.
I was implying no intangibility during the switch making it only safe if the opponent is like...being star KO'd or if you are willing to sacrifice your beginning invincibility.

Changing between the characters is borderline broken. It ought to be extremely extremely horribly impossible if we are going to legitimately balance the game so that sheik is viable, zelda is viable, and hey you can play both strong balanced characters if you want.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
I was implying no intangibility during the switch making it only safe if the opponent is like...being star KO'd or if you are willing to sacrifice your beginning invincibility.

Changing between the characters is borderline broken. It ought to be extremely extremely horribly impossible if we are going to legitimately balance the game so that sheik is viable, zelda is viable, and hey you can play both strong balanced characters if you want.
Since you can't switch movesets on the fly, only 1 of the characters is available at any given time and in any particular match only 1 has the better matchup. It is not playing both strong characters unless you are talking about CSS abuse, which can be removed without removing Transform.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Deff had his first tournament win just the other day, beating out a lot of strong players with 3.6 Bowser.

He wrote, "Gotta hold it down for my Bowser mains!"

There is more than one Bowser player, guys.
But what is his stance on bowser 3.6? Djnintendo has won tounaments with melee bowser so how is that different? Players can win on match up knowledge alone if they are good enough. But please tag deff so he can voice his opinion of bowser and his winning tournament

Boiko

:drshrug:
But what is his stance on bowser 3.6? Djnintendo has won tounaments with melee bowser so how is that different? Players can win on match up knowledge alone if they are good enough. But please tag deff so he can voice his opinion of bowser and his winning tournament
You can read his thoughts in the thread that YOU created in the Bowser subforum, where he ALREADY POSTED.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
This isn't really possible because of the way transform works. The game actually unloads one character and loads in another. Shielda isn't really intangible during transform so much as she doesn't actually exist.

That's why transform takes different amounts of time depending on boot method, iirc, with a USB loaded game being fastest.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This isn't really possible because of the way transform works. The game actually unloads one character and loads in another. Shielda isn't really intangible during transform so much as she doesn't actually exist.

That's why transform takes different amounts of time depending on boot method, iirc, with a USB loaded game being fastest.
oh sh*t

shielda confirmed better on USB. I didn't know that.

4tlas

Smash Lord

I find USBs take longer than the hackless SD card, but I don't have a particularly large sample size.

It also seems that transforming once each direction makes all future transforms in the same match consistently speedy. Gonna try button-checking for that before each match next time I'm in tournament.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Since you can't switch movesets on the fly, only 1 of the characters is available at any given time and in any particular match only 1 has the better matchup. It is not playing both strong characters unless you are talking about CSS abuse, which can be removed without removing Transform.
I respect your feelings 4tlus, but nope. You're really dodgy about this subject. I'm just not seeing a direction towards Sheilda-esque gameplay. The past few patches definitely don't reflect it.

This would be cool though

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
I respect your feelings 4tlus, but nope. You're really dodgy about this subject. I'm just not seeing a direction towards Sheilda-esque gameplay. The past few patches definitely don't reflect it.

Pretty much, that would be sheilda. What we have now is just Zelda and sheik able to swap...

4tlas

Smash Lord

Not sure what you mean by "dodgy" here. I totally agree that the patches keep making it worse and that true Sheilda gameplay would be what you can see in that video, because you are switching between both for different situations. You can still switch for different situations currently, and I do it. I frequently switch for different edgeguards, combo opportunities, and recoveries (yes, both directions for all 3).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I had no idea you mained bowser and therefore could correctly analyze this character... Bowser is nerfed, if not unviable. BUT, this is what i discovered my first week using him in a tournament when the game came out, no one new what to expect and i beat players i never beat before (also i was playing retreat and punish style more but thats besides the point)

Point is, you are just another player who doesnt main bowser who is claiming "bowser is not bad he is just different"

Numbers and change lists dont lie. Even the "buffs" he got came with underlying nerfs (IE size, flame, speed)

And they gutted some of the moves entirely and said "but we made it faster, this is cool right?" (smash attacks, KK, dash attack)

Hes for sure worse, ill happily dig into the change list and pick out every single change and explain why its a nerf or buff if you would like.

Odds is just inspirationally good, bowser is not
I can't tell if this is like a super elaborate troll or if this level of ignorance really CAN be paired with this level of obstinance

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Shielda needs to go, and frankly I suspect both characters would benefit from a bit of a rework anyway. Zelda's WIP status is pretty obvious, but Sheik has the unfortunate combination of awkward physics (crawl aside, her crouch and crawl are great) and a moveset that ultimately centers on a handful of tools that are both sensitive to change and not all that interesting to play against. I also don't find her particularly fun to play, but mileage obviously varies.

Long story short, I think later iterations of Sheik's design made some good changes that her PM iteration might also benefit from. Make her a semi-FFer, buff her aerial mobility a touch, bring back chain tethering and give it some light offensive utility... hell, maybe even bring back the weaker, combo-oriented fair. I dunno. I'm not saying this would fix all her problems and I'm definitely not saying her fundamental gameplan needs a rewrite, but she could perhaps be more dynamic and I feel that staying true to her Melee core ultimately leaves her with very little opportunity in that department. A few nudges in the right places would make further refinements to her kit much easier while also making her more fun for (hopefully) all involved.

On a completely unrelated note, are we really bringing out the "you don't main this character" argument right now? Good grief.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'd still like a detailed explanation of why the meteor cancel window was reduced. Offstage meteors should carry a meaningful level of threat at all times, and even onstage meteors are potentially affected in certain situations. I've always felt that Melee's 8-frame window was far too short and I'm not particularly happy to see PM's window brought any closer to it - especially without proper documentation. Not good.

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Use more upb, and FIRE DOWN TILT IS REALLY GOOD IN THAT MATCH UP, AS IS FIRE UP SMASH AND FAIR. MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER USING IT.

Sorry, I don't sympathize with Sheilda players. No matter what way you slice it, no player should be able to use two viable characters at once. Balance wise, design wise, however you want to look at it, it's way off the spectrum.

Edit: Totally not going to get into ANOTHER Shielda debate, btw.
That's not how things should work... Also, Din's is hella good when used properly.

BUT THAT'S ENOUGH SHIELDA TALK FOR ME, SERIOUSLY.
This isn't the first time you've vouched for the removal of Transform, and I don't have an issue with players arguing for the removal or drastic alteration of mechanics and tactics that may be deemed unfair. I do have a problem with hidden intents however. Whether or not you or others like you want to admit it, your opinions regarding how unfair something in PM is is significantly influenced by your competition. You play Zhime. He is recognized as being the best Zelda since at least 2.6b. He is a better player than you, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, have you done all that you could as a player to learn the Zelda and Sheik matchups or your mains? Have you researched characters that counter both Zelda and Sheik? I believe the character redux thread has high credibility, and you weren't listed as the most accomplished Ness. Before arguing for play style changing patches, I'd encourage you to maximize your potential as a Ness or whoever you're maining these days then consider at that point whether it's truly you, your character, or another that needs changing. At this point, I'm inclined to think that you could do much better as a player, so I have trouble taking your arguments about Transform seriously when you haven't done all that you could as a player to address the "problem" in the game before taking to the internet.
Or, ya know, people accept her buffs and thank the PMDT for not giving her anything remotely similar to what she had in 3.02, because it's pretty much impossible to create a character that boring to play against twice. I dunno why you're assuming the worst would come from removing transform of all things.
So it's alright to destroy a character's potential if it makes them more fun to play against? People that liked aspects of 3.02 Zelda or the character as a whole have far less fun with 3.5 and 3.6 Beta Zelda, to the point that several of them don't even play the character or game much anymore. PM should be balanced and designed with a majority rules mindset eh? Nothing could go wrong with a bunch of low, mid level, or small name players holding the power to seriously impact the direction of characters that are used at a high level. Let the PMDT change or remove what you don't personally feel like learning or dealing with, even if that thing has simple counterplay. Heck, why not just let someone better play for you?

That is a bad video. It's essentially "What If Sheik Had Farore's Wind and Lightning Kicks". If Shielda were going to be a true thing in PM, hopefully both characters would be used for more than 3 moves.

Last edited:

Boiko

That's your baseless assumption that I'm salty that I lost to Zhime in the one tournament set we played, which is just wildly incorrect. I play with Zhime occasionally and he and I have spoken about transform on numerous occasions.

You're just assuming that just because I'm in the same region as him, I'm ******** about it. If you read my way earlier posts, I advocated for the removal of transform since before I even played Zhime.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Literally this entire thread RN:

Thanks for those you have PM'd me about my opinion. I greatly appreciate it. I'll still be answering questions, but I'm unfollowing this thread lol.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
So it's alright to destroy a character's potential if it makes them more fun to play against? People that liked aspects of 3.02 Zelda or the character as a whole have far less fun with 3.5 and 3.6 Beta Zelda, to the point that several of them don't even play the character or game much anymore. PM should be balanced and designed with a majority rules mindset eh? Nothing could go wrong with a bunch of low, mid level, or small name players holding the power to seriously impact the direction of characters that are used at a high level. Let the PMDT change or remove what you don't personally feel like learning or dealing with, even if that thing has simple counterplay. Heck, why not just let someone better play for you?
In 3.02 Zelda's case, yeah, it was totally okay to modify her design after years of development because it was so obvious that it just wasn't going anywhere; in fact it was probably preventing the character from getting any sort of meaningful buffs. Zelda slowed down the pace of so many matchups to the point where people got fed up with the character not because of her "potential" but because of how the way the character made you play the game. It was slow, boring; it honestly reminded me of brawl. Personally, I think that when large groups of people belonging to 30+ different matchups complain about about how boring your character is to play, it's worth listening to. Obviously, listening to the opinions of the uninformed is cancerous to the development of the game, but I don't think that's what happened with 3.02 Zelda and I don't think it's happening with this transform discussion.

You mention counterplay, but the only counterplay for transform is to to learn a completely different matchup of a top tier character that can pop up at any time during the match. I'm in the camp that thinks that this sort of request of players is too much, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I can't tell if this is like a super elaborate troll or if this level of ignorance really CAN be paired with this level of obstinance
you can elaborate as to why you think its a troll attempt. Are you a bowser main yes or no? Was bowser more nerfed than he was buffed yes or no? Has bowsers MU spread improved yes or no? And finally after talking to every big name bowser player I can think of, have any of them changed their mains yes or no?

Downdraft

Smash Ace
In 3.02 Zelda's case, yeah, it was totally okay to modify her design after years of development because it was so obvious that it just wasn't going anywhere; in fact it was probably preventing the character from getting any sort of meaningful buffs. Zelda slowed down the pace of so many matchups to the point where people got fed up with the character not because of her "potential" but because of how the way the character made you play the game. It was slow, boring; it honestly reminded me of brawl. Personally, I think that when large groups of people belonging to 30+ different matchups complain about about how boring your character is to play, it's worth listening to. Obviously, listening to the opinions of the uninformed is cancerous to the development of the game, but I don't think that's what happened with 3.02 Zelda and I don't think it's happening with this transform discussion.

You mention counterplay, but the only counterplay for transform is to to learn a completely different matchup of a top tier character that can pop up at any time during the match. I'm in the camp that thinks that this sort of request of players is too much, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
1. Except the only moves that have gotten meaningful buffs since the drastic 3.5 nerfs are Farore's Wind and Forward Throw. Din's, Nayru's, Jab, and lightning kicks are moves that are undeniably worse. 3.02 Din's forced approaches in many matchups and Nayru's served as an alternate means to escape combos and could be used as a pseudo approach. With her poor ground and air speed, short dash dance, and short wavedash, Farore's Wind is her optimal approaching tool, but it's not very good versus faster characters that can punish the high startup or the time between the reappear and Zelda's fastest attack. Zelda is a defensive character. I don't think that's news to any good player. 3.02 Din's, Love Jumping, and Diamond Diving were defensive attacks. 3.6 Beta Din's is only decent for offense and serves little defensive purpose as it's bad at controlling space and can't force approaches. Nayru's Glide works if you can auto cancel it onto a platform, but more often than not Nayru's Glide does not help Zelda return to the stage quickly after she's been launched high above platforms or the stage. Diamond Diving actually helped Zelda recover to the stage quicker, which is something she needed since she dies off the top early and didn't have any other attacks that traded well or threatened much space below her. You wouldn't see or hear Zelda mains on the defensive much if she'd received good compensation for what she had lost. As it stands, almost none of her attacks were significantly improved in functionality or utility to help cover the weaknesses she had in 3.02. 3.5 just introduced more weaknesses by removing her strengths, which largely lied in her special attacks. Her ground and aerial attacks are largely the same except jab (which is pitiful now), f-throw (which was buffed), and lightning kicks (whose effective sweetspots are smaller and kill later).

2. Eh, I can roll with that for now. I'm not a Shielda, so I'm just trying to understand the fuss and its origins.

3. For a beginner, that could pose a problem. For a veteran PM player, it would be a non issue unless they have stuck by a character that goes even with or loses to both. Sheik is much better than Zelda, and they lose to similar strategies. One issue I'd have with the removal of Transform is that it still wouldn't stop the unending complaining about Zelda that's still occuring in 3.6 Beta despite her overall being much weaker than pre-3.5. What do people really want with the character? Whatever it is has little regard for what Zelda mains want or think. I accept that we're a minority, but if she's going to be drastically altered or kept down to appease the masses, then she shouldn't even be in PM. PM is the competitive Smash Bros. game with the opportunity to give characters that have regularly been unviable in the official games a chance at competing with the best. Brawl- doesn't have a big competitive following, so us lovers of forever mid and low tier characters don't have an option to truly contend with the characters we love most in a game with a major following, and I'd consider it a failure if the game's balance resembles Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4 where certain types of characters typically just don't stand a chance.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
All I will say about the Shielda debate is as long as transform isn't replaced by Bouncing fish, I'm cool with it.
Though phantoms on Zelda could be cool

Boiko

Also, lol. You dismissed everything I've said because my name isn't at the top of the top character thread and because of that you automatically assumed that I haven't done all the research I can in the MU? Zhime isn't the only Shielda. I play with Face almost every week and he's a very strong player. He's a solid Zelda, and a solid Sheik, all around you can't deny that he's a fine player. And my record against him since March is 12-2. I know the MU, I know the characters.

Are you going to assume that everyone who is on my side of the argument also doesn't understand the character to their upper most abilities? What makes you so all knowing that you get to dictate that?

I don't have any videos in the thread because no one from NYC or LI posts any. It's generally agreed that I'm a strong Ness main, and a strong player.

Seriously, we're all in the same boat with varying degrees of exposure to numerous different elements of the game. You can't just decide you're more qualified to talk on something because you incorrectly assume that there is "hidden intent" on the other side of the argument. It boils down to, "I have no real support for this but I think you're biased because a top player of that character is from your region." Well, that's great, I can counter and say that you're biased because you play the character and your critical flaw is that you're failing to see from an outside perspective, but I'm not going to, because I really don't care.

Smh, smashboards, man..

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
3.02 Din's was never good for Zelda in the long run. It was regularly acknowledged by mains and outside players alike that it forced the waiting game but ultimately resulted in Zelda losing as she still couldn't approach characters that just waited her out in response, especially against her bad MU's. 3.5 Din's is conceptually much better for her although it may still need work (maybe I'm insane, but making it transcendent might make it a much more respectable projectile).

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
you can elaborate as to why you think its a troll attempt. Are you a bowser main yes or no? Was bowser more nerfed than he was buffed yes or no? Has bowsers MU spread improved yes or no? And finally after talking to every big name bowser player I can think of, have any of them changed their mains yes or no?
1: No. Being a bowser main isn't required to understand bowser. I have a strong bowser second. Even if I didn't, I could just as well play against the character or as the character + watch videos to get a good understanding of him. You don't need to main a character to know when they have been buffed, or when they need buffs. If the only people with viable opinions on their characters were those character's mains, almost no character would ever get nerfed.
2: I think bowser was more buffed than nerfed. Slightly.
3: I think his MU spread is more normalized, closer to even on most really bad matchups and really good matchups from before while his close to even matchups are barely changed. Speed is a universal tool in smash, it can be used to deal with almost anything, and bowser gained a great deal of speed in 3.6. Therefore, there are going to be matchups he previously did not have the means to deal with that he does now. What he lost were tools that polarized his matchups, like excessive armor/reach.
4: It doesn't matter whether or not any big bowser names changed their mains. Main swaps come with every big change to certain characters, regardless of whether or not they were actually nerfed, because you see aspects of the character lost that the players in question may have enjoyed, or you see aspects lost that were abusable and mediocre players no longer succeed without them. Not to suggest that this is the case with bowser, not in totality anyway.

disclaimer: I still don't think bowser is an amazing character currently. I just think he's better off than he was before. I'm just a little sick of hearing the bitching from like 90% mediocre players (particularly you) and barely any actual feedback from the good 10%. It's not okay to say "This character was mostly nerfed, and here's how I know why, I lost to a guy a normally beat!" and expect that to be valid reasoning.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've changed my main like every patch lol.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
3.02 Din's was never good for Zelda in the long run. It was regularly acknowledged by mains and outside players alike that it forced the waiting game but ultimately resulted in Zelda losing as she still couldn't approach characters that just waited her out in response, especially against her bad MU's. 3.5 Din's is conceptually much better for her although it may still need work (maybe I'm insane, but making it transcendent might make it a much more respectable projectile).
I personally preferred it because it would sit around and still explode when touched, as opposed to boomeranging back to Zelda and having her hope she can get a gfycat combo off the returning hit. They should experiment with giving it some buffs in test builds, like transcendent priority, stronger/bigger explosions, a longer max distance, or being able to place 2 of them. If she's going to keep her niche as a slow and defensive glass cannon, she needs to have defenses that are useful against DD/projectile camping and control space well enough to justify her being so slow.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I personally preferred it because it would sit around and still explode when touched, as opposed to boomeranging back to Zelda and having her hope she can get a gfycat combo off the returning hit. They should experiment with giving it some buffs in test builds, like transcendent priority, stronger/bigger explosions, a longer max distance, or being able to place 2 of them. If she's going to keep her niche as a slow and defensive glass cannon, she needs to have defenses that are useful against DD/projectile camping and control space well enough to justify her being so slow.
3.02 fire didn't explode when touched lol, it just hit them weakly then disappeared, which is what the current one does (tho it will go through a returning animation rather than disappearing)

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Actually it would sit there without a hitbox, but still explode if left alone. I'm F-Tier at semantics. @_@

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Waiting game? Din's did not delay matches. It covered Zelda's approaches, setup crazy GIF combos or kills, forced approaches, or controlled the space an opponent could travel through without defusing Din's. For a short example, see
Granted, this example is simplistic, but it goes to show how Din's could control space and influence the opponent's movements. Good Zelda wouldn't just run away all match setting up Din's. No, that'd be a boring to play and play against. Good Zelda placed them strategically to aid in combos and approaching. How is a slow character supposed to keep up with a projectile assault or highly mobile characters without special tools to mitigate the disadvantage of being less mobile? New Din's might cover techs, but she doesn't have the mobility to regularly capitalize on that coverage. 3.6 Beta Din's mainly acts as a combo extender, but 3.02 did a better job of that largely since multiple mines could cover multiple options to setup future strings. Lastly, 3.6 Din's can interfere with recoveries, but so could 3.02 Din's. 3.6 Beta Din's makes Zelda susceptible to dash dance and wavedash pressure since it leaves a void between her farthest reaching grounded move and the minimum Din's casting distance. Dash attack is unsafe and average at best at preventing opponents from DD or WD camping in the void.

Most of Zelda's ground attacks are unsafe on shield, and her fastest attack is a frame 4 Down Smash that doesn't independently have followups and lacks kill power. Her next fastest option is a frame 5 Up Smash that is highly punishable on whiff or shield, which is why she can struggle with shield pressure. Most of her ground attacks are highly punishable on whiff or shield. Also, her fastest combo breaker would be B-air; however, that only hits behind her while other characters like G&W, Luigi, and Samus have fast options that can cover in front of them, which is usually the side an opponent is comboing.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
that only hits behind her while other characters like G&W, Luigi, and Samus have fast options that can cover in front of them, which is usually the side an opponent is comboing.
Samus actually can't cover the front of her shield very well at all. Screw attack isn't quite big enough, and she doesn't have the aerial mobility to cover any decent space with an aerial OoS. Also no grab OoS.

Rachman

be water my friend
I think he meant as a combo breaker so he's referring to Nair presumably

4tlas

Smash Lord
For the love of Sakurai can we please go back to talking about tiers? If you want to talk about Sheilda talk about how good you think Transform makes her, not that you want it removed. If you want to talk about that go make another thread. I apologize for indulging this debate in the first place.

Top Bottom