• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
People think Tink sucks because they don't know how to AGT.

Oh and m2 is not in top 5 characters, chill out.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
People think Tink sucks because they don't know how to AGT.
Nah, like I already posted, the problem is trying to play a lame, poke-oriented game with Tink, like you do with Link. He really needs to go way more offensive.

Also I learned how to do AGT in about 5 minutes. There's really nothing tricky about it.

Oh and m2 is not in top 5 characters, chill out.
So who's top 5? I think M2 is very solidly top 10, and the top 10 are close enough that really almost any of them could be top 5.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Nah, like I already posted, the problem is trying to play a lame, poke-oriented game with Tink, like you do with Link. He really needs to go way more offensive.

Also I learned how to do AGT in about 5 minutes. There's really nothing tricky about it.

So who's top 5? I think M2 is very solidly top 10, and the top 10 are close enough that really almost any of them could be top 5.
You learned it in 5 minutes, ok, that's not the rest of the people out there saying, wow, he can't even recover, trashy character in a skirt is what Tink is. Tink can do fine playing whatever. He and Mario and maybe a few others, are, "The Jack of All Trades." They aren't superior in everything, but their mad good in everything.

Tbh the, "top 10" aren't "that" close together. For starters, you have fox. We all know about his long meta game and sheer dominance. He stands well above the others, even Falco. Falco is still Falco, but, the rest of the cast, well let's just say this ain't melee. Most of the people he pooped on in melee have the tools to wreck his ****, so he isn't anywhere near as scary as before.

I'd say the top 5 are fox, mk, mario falco, and I don't know for 5th. I feel I have a general understanding of who kinda goes where, I just don't order them from 1 to 10z

I think m2 wouldn't be in the top 10. Or he could, just in the lower part. I'd have him before 15th. He is strong but...I just don't see it yet.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You learned it in 5 minutes, ok, that's not the rest of the people out there saying, wow, he can't even recover, trashy character in a skirt is what Tink is. Tink can do fine playing whatever. He and Mario and maybe a few others, are, "The Jack of All Trades." They aren't superior in everything, but their mad good in everything.
Probably barely ever played him or against him. I fully admit I was guilty of this, my opinion of TL was solely based on bad TLs on stream. After I stole Jolteon's tech and watched some good TL play I can see that he has potential.

I wouldn't quite call him a jack of all trades because he's a bit on the light side, he's much more of a glass cannon than Mario is. I would describe TL as a rushdown / pressure character, though he's a bit unique in that he has projectiles to help cover his pressure.

Tbh the, "top 10" aren't "that" close together. For starters, you have fox. We all know about his long meta game and sheer dominance. He stands well above the others, even Falco.
Yeah, Fox is definitely #1. However, I don't think it's clear that Falco is #2. Fox is a LOT better than Falco in PM, Falco doesn't kill anywhere near as early and except Laser and Dair everything about Fox is better. I actually think there's a strong case to be made that Wolf is superior to Falco now.

I would say top 5 is something like Fox, Ivy, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Link. I could also see Mario, MK, and Lucas all right in there.

I think m2 wouldn't be in the top 10. Or he could, just in the lower part. I'd have him before 15th. He is strong but...I just don't see it yet.
Watch M2K wreck a few people with him. I mean sure, it's M2K, and he wrecks with everyone, but it gives you an idea of what this character can be capable of when played well.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
If you don't think T.Link is a jack of all trades, you're not playing his keep away game correctly.

For real he's great at zoning and playing runaway, as well as very capable of playing offensively.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Probably barely ever played him or against him. I fully admit I was guilty of this, my opinion of TL was solely based on bad TLs on stream.

I wouldn't quite call him a jack of all trades because he's a bit on the light side, he's much more of a glass cannon than Mario is. I would describe TL as a rushdown / pressure character, though he's a bit unique in that he has projectiles to help cover his pressure.

Yeah, Fox is definitely #1. However, I don't think it's clear that Falco is #2. Fox is a LOT better than Falco in PM, Falco doesn't kill anywhere near as early and except Laser and Dair everything about Fox is better. I actually think there's a strong case to be made that Wolf is superior to Falco now.

I would say top 5 is something like Fox, Ivy, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Link. I could also see Mario, MK, and Lucas all right in there.

Watch M2K wreck a few people with him. I mean sure, it's M2K, and he wrecks with everyone, but it gives you an idea of what this character can be capable of when played well.
Link and ivy both get rekt by fast and aggrosive play styles. It doesn't really matter what character it is, as long as they have fast options like Mario's 4 frame Dsmash or one of MK's many fast( 4 frame dtilt and 4 frame dsmash are two of those) and MAOR extra **** options. Ivy has bad OoS options and she is only good when she is playing her own game. Ivy has like nothing to stop the incoming combos once she get touched, Link has a little bit, but not a lot.

I already know about m2k m2. I played it in Tennessee. It's a good character, it does die kinda early, especially compared to the top 5 characters I'm thinking of, if you know how to combo it anyway. M2K views m2 as a solid mid tier, at least, that's what he told me. ANYWAY, there are better characters for the top 5 like fox, falco, mk, mario, Lucas etc.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If you don't think T.Link is a jack of all trades, you're not playing his keep away game correctly.

For real he's great at zoning and playing runaway, as well as very capable of playing offensively.
Maybe against people who are easily kept out. I'd be wary of doing it against anyone who's pretty mobile, though I suppose the advantage of a balanced moveset is that you don't have to. I do think though that if you wanted to do this, it makes sense to go Link since he would do it better. I'm sure every Tink player has a pocket Link.

Link and ivy both get rekt by fast and aggrosive play styles.
I wouldn't really say that, Ivy / Link vs rushdown is the same as zoner vs rushdown in any fighting game. If the rushdown guy gets in, he can put the hurt on, but he has to work hard to get in. This is why I don't think Falcon vs Ivy is negative for Ivy. Sure, Falcon can kill her if he gets in a couple times, but that's not easy with his limited mobility options and Ivy's powerful disjoints. I suspect this match is actually even overall.

If something wrecks Ivy, it's probably balanced offense with powerful combos. I could definitely see Mario being a bad matchup for Ivy, if he hits her he gets like 50%, and unlike Falcon Mario doesn't mind being patient.

I already know about m2k m2. I played it in Tennessee. It's a good character, but there are better, like fox, falco, mk, mario, Lucas etc.
I definitely don't see it with Falco. M2 has better kill power, disjoints, and far better recovery. Honestly, what is the argument for Falco being top 5 anymore?

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm a T.Link player, with no pocket Link. I don't feel like it's necessary. T.Link can keep out most of the cast thanks to his projectiles and his mobility. Being able to run circles around people while throwing **** is an extremely effective way to play keep away, and it's also extremely handy considering you can use bombs, boomerang or arrows as T.Link to convert into kills once you need to go in, and you can do it from farther away than Link can.

Oracle

Smash Master
yes. mks down b is probably the best whiff punishing move in the game. thats why hes at the top of so many lists
speaking of lists i felt like making one out of boredom

Obviously incredible characters tier
fox
sheik
falco
mk
wolf?

extremely solid but not quite broken tier
link
diddy
mario
snake
pit

almost really good but struggle with the top tiers (aka falcon tier)
ness
falcon
dk
lucas

sleeper pick tier
m2
yoshi
sonic
lucario
samus
peach
toon link

close enough that you shouldn't care about ordering tier
everyone else

always needs buffs tier
rob

tiers aren't really ordered.
- sleeper pick tier is for characters that i either don't understand enough to accurately rank, or who look like they have a lot of undeveloped potential to have a lot of crazy stuff (that is currently unexplored).
- lucas is not higher because a lot of his stuff doesn't really work vs many characters. pkf mitigates his poor range and vulnerability to cc in a lot of scenarios, but if you have better projectiles, then you can completely ignore pkf and his neutral game takes a big hit. he's extremely complicated but based on what i know about him, once people learn how to properly get around lucas's things it'll be much harder to make him work
- characters in falcon tier have almost all positive matchups, but each struggle with a handful of characters. ness has a hard time with spacies and sword characters but can pkf camp his way over every other character. falcon is often assumed to be bad but ppl often forget that almost every good character in pm is vulnerable to dashdancing and is floaty enough to get guaranteed combos and knee kills off of grabs. dk is in a unique position where his stuff is insanely better than basically every character, but his extreme vulnerability to quick projectiles makes it hard for him to every use his stuff in many matchups (and if you'll notice, every character in the higher tiers has a spammable projectile but mk)
- everyone says wolf is top tier so i'll just go with it, but i've never really been super impressed with wolf as a character, so he might go down a tier or so.
- most likely char to fall out of the 2nd tier is diddy. his dash attack is really good and fair kills early, but he doesn't have quite as many reliable setups as the other chars in the tier. also, 99% players have terrible item control, so diddy players get a lot of mileage off of that.

didds

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that it's not as simple as "better" or "worse" when comparing characters and their moves.

You're comparing 3-dimensional characters in a 2-dimensional manner.

Falco plays completely different than fox, so it's not as simple as "Falco only has a better Laser and Dair." It's the same problem as the Link/TLink comparison, how can you compare their individual moves when they're applied in very different ways.

It would make more sense to compare Diddy's Fair and Squirtle's Fair since they are at least utilized in a similar manner. If it was as simple as you sometimes phrase things, the act of creating a tier list wouldn't be so difficult.

But yea, fox is still better than falco ;)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
rob we already discussed this dk beats everyone without a projectile, which is like 8 characters, and loses to everyone else

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Keep in mind that it's not as simple as "better" or "worse" when comparing characters and their moves.

You're comparing 3-dimensional characters in a 2-dimensional manner.

Falco plays completely different than fox, so it's not as simple as "Falco only has a better Laser and Dair." It's the same problem as the Link/TLink comparison, how can you compare their individual moves when they're applied in very different ways.
To be honest some of Falco's stuff is quite similar to Fox. For example, he also has Uthrow -> Uair. However, when he does it, it does no damage. His UpSmash is also somewhat similar to Fox's, but again, it just doesn't really hurt at all.

Honestly, I really don't see much about Falco that's not just "Fox but worse" apart from those two moves. Please feel free to enlighten me.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
It still makes absolutely no sense why P:M even decided to make Falco a carbon copy of Fox again. I mean, seeing as Falco was better in Brawl, I think they would have kept him that way, but a bit buffed. They didn't make Wolf a carbon copy, and gave him a new move (Wolf's Dash Attack: Splendid Claw) to separate him further from the crew (since Fox, Falco and Wolf all had similar somersault attacks).

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Sheik and peach are kind of overrated in this game in my honest opinion. They were high tier in melee no doubt, but I think the only reason that theyre not doing horrendously ranking wise is because a lot of good players from melee kind of switched over, already knowing a lot about their own character.
Peachs horizantal movement was nerfed on top of that, and landing lag was given on her up b.
Sheik lost the grab that made her advantageous against most of the cast.
I understand they got their small tweaks, but I think its wrong to put any of them a high tier, especially when theres characters like pit mario and snake out. Those guys are near or on par with spacies in my opinion.
Sheik's Melee Dthrow certainly helped make some matchups more lopsided, but it's not like she didn't beat those characters anyways without her Dthrow. It just made it so she had to create less openings, punish fewer mistakes, etc. Her ability to do so is no different though.
It's not like characters she could chaingrab are suddenly dumpstering her. She has a couple difficult matchups, but nothing strikes me as truly bad. Plus she's incredibly flexible which is an even more important trait to have in PM than it was in Melee with the increased character diversity.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
- lucas is not higher because a lot of his stuff doesn't really work vs many characters. pkf mitigates his poor range and vulnerability to cc in a lot of scenarios, but if you have better projectiles, then you can completely ignore pkf and his neutral game takes a big hit. he's extremely complicated but based on what i know about him, once people learn how to properly get around lucas's things it'll be much harder to make him work
I'm really glad you made this point, because I've been wondering how Lucas has been doing at top play. I've seen some stuff by Pink Fresh and such, but other than him and Milkman, I don't see a lot of work being done to the character (just that I'm aware of). Point is that, I've been curious about what people have done to counter his awesome combo game. Lucas does rely a lot on his PKF neutral, but doesn't his excellent movement shenanigans help with losing that neutral at all

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
It still makes absolutely no sense why P:M even decided to make Falco a carbon copy of Fox again. I mean, seeing as Falco was better in Brawl, I think they would have kept him that way, but a bit buffed. They didn't make Wolf a carbon copy, and gave him a new move (Wolf's Dash Attack: Splendid Claw) to separate him further from the crew (since Fox, Falco and Wolf all had similar somersault attacks).
Falco plays completely differently than Fox. Not sure if trolling.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Fox and Falco play almost nothing alike. This is apparent in any high-level matches you watch. You might as well say Ryu and Ken are carbon copies in every SF game.

If P:M is operating on a Melee-esque engine, it only makes sense to use Melee Falco. The PMBR tries to make stuff different about him when they can (Brawl jab and run animation for instance), but they stuck to being faithful with the Melee incarnation. Wolf, as with any of the Brawl characters, had far more freedom when it came to his design as he's never been in a Melee environment.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
To be honest some of Falco's stuff is quite similar to Fox. For example, he also has Uthrow -> Uair. However, when he does it, it does no damage. His UpSmash is also somewhat similar to Fox's, but again, it just doesn't really hurt at all.

Honestly, I really don't see much about Falco that's not just "Fox but worse" apart from those two moves. Please feel free to enlighten me.
Again, if you're going for Uthrow -> Uair with Falco, you're probably not playing him right. Same if you're fishing for Usmashes. Moves can be similar and still be used in different ways.

If I'm fox, I'll be using Uairs for low percent combos sure, but my main use for the move will still be killing. If I'm falco, it doesn't even cross my mind to being using Uair as a kill move (not to say I won't use it in certain situations.)

Lasers and Fsmash both look similar, but you're not going to approach with a laser -> Fsmash with fox in an attempt to get a kill.

All I was trying to say is that characters are very dynamic, and multiple similarities does not mean they play the same way, so we just have to be careful when making better/worse judgements on similar moves. If we're asking what move has higher knockback, then yes, fox's Uair is better, but what standard are we using for the question, "which of insert two similar moves of choice is better."

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Again, if you're going for Uthrow -> Uair with Falco, you're probably not playing him right. Same if you're fishing for Usmashes. Moves can be similar and still be used in different ways.

If I'm fox, I'll be using Uairs for low percent combos sure, but my main use for the move will still be killing. If I'm falco, it doesn't even cross my mind to being using Uair as a kill move (not to say I won't use it in certain situations.)

Lasers and Fsmash both look similar, but you're not going to approach with a laser -> Fsmash with fox in an attempt to get a kill.

All I was trying to say is that characters are very dynamic, and multiple similarities does not mean they play the same way, so we just have to be careful when making better/worse judgements on similar moves. If we're asking what move has higher knockback, then yes, fox's Uair is better, but what standard are we using for the question, "which of insert two similar moves of choice is better."
You're still not giving any concrete examples where Falco has something that Fox doesn't.

Seriously, besides Pillar combo and lasers, what does this guy have going for him? Can anyone articulate it?

I'm honestly starting to suspect Falco is actually B tier. His tournament placings are nothing to write home about either.

didds

Smash Lord
You're still not giving any concrete examples where Falco has something that Fox doesn't.

Seriously, besides Pillar combo and lasers, what does this guy have going for him? Can anyone articulate it?

I'm honestly starting to suspect Falco is actually B tier. His tournament placings are nothing to write home about either.
I'm not a falco main, I don't think you understand what I'm pointing out.

I'm simply saying that moves aren't always just better or worse, they serve different purposes and standards need to be established as to how we're comparing moves.

Earlier you were talking about how T Link uses his boomerang to lessen the chance of counter attack while pressuring an opponent, while Link uses his as more of a spacing and zoning tool. That kind of difference, that's what makes a simple better/worse comparison difficult.

And falco has a better combo game, a better projectile, and idk more knockback on his fsmash or something? And maybe his legs are longer, a little more range.

I honestly have no interest in being involved in the Trial of Falco Lombardi.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Earlier you were talking about how T Link uses his boomerang to lessen the chance of counter attack while pressuring an opponent, while Link uses his as more of a spacing and zoning tool. That kind of difference that makes a simple better/worse comparison difficult.
Sure, I will accept that kind of explanation for Falco. But so far, it seems like most of the things Falco does are things Fox can do as well, but he doesn't use them because he has better things (for example, most combos into Bair also work for Fox, and his Bair is just as good, but he usually has a better option so he doesn't go to it nearly as much).

I feel like Falco is another one of those characters who fit the Melee metagame like a glove, but doesn't deal well with the new characters in PM. For example, one of the things the Smashwiki says about Falco is that he has among the best edgeguarding in Melee. His edgeguarding in PM is nowhere near the best, I doubt it's even in the top half of the cast. Recoveries have gotten a lot better, it's no longer a snap to just stick Dair out and gimp everything.

Last edited:

FloeNew

Smash Rookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUXiAkw5Jw

Alright watch this Falco set. Notice the way Falco uses dair for kills, this is very important to Falco game. though Fox has a true spike on his dair as well no one cares because it has no knock back, this is a vital difference. Second notice the constant laser interruptions, Fox's laser is a "hey come at me" Falco's more of a "hey betcha can't get in'
I don't play the spacies but it's important to know them.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I'm going to make an extremely conceited, yet also honest post, which will probably garner me a lot of hate, but here goes anyway:

Me and other top players use spacies a lot because we have played the character for years, and years, and years. I'm talking 100s, usually 1,000s of hours. When you make a character almost identical (Except you don't need to have as good of a controller to move them fast because you only need to push the control stick like half-as-far to register a dash as you do in melee, which is really neat/nice), people are going to move onto those characters.

There's a reason I choose to play fox, falco, marth, sheik/zelda, Mario, Mewtwo, etc.

I've messed around with them since SSBM was released. I've been playing all of these characters a lot since ~2002. Pretty much 12 years. And I probably messed around with them more than anyone. I've logged MANY 100s of hours into a -LOT- of characters. Some of the above are just naming a few. I'll probably mess with more in the future, but what I've done is already done.

Doc was my first main before tourneys in 2004 so I use him quite a bit in the past. I've even played all top docs in dittos (besides shroomed) and 4 stock mid % pretty much all of them. That's just a ditto and one example but the point is I'm very good with the character due to all previous time with him. I started with Fox/Marth (mostly Fox) in tournaments starting Feb 14, 2005 at KOTC, where Zanguzen beat me by 1 stock twice. Next tourney I beat him back with doc by 3 stocks. This stood out cuz it was my extremely early days.

Fox/Mewtwo/Marth (and recently Sheik) are some of the characters, in all my ~10k hours playing Melee, that i put the MOST time into. The transition from melee to pm is VERY easy since the characters are basically identical, and mewtwo is no longer low tier garbage. I use those characters due to all the skill automatically transferring, then I focus on the new PM differences/MUs so I can improve myself for that game, starting from an EXTREMELY good starting point, thanks to all my time messing around with melee.

I got lucky; I had/have a HUGE advantage that I messed around for fun with so many melee characters. I won't lie. I had no life. I played alone all the time, just to entertain myself. I tested so many countless things about smash. It's just absurd what I tried to do.

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssbm-statistics-list.30064/ for an example to prove I am not lying lol.

From dedicating 9 years into smash, I have grown to understand smash, theory-craft, practicality, and a LOT of things to a VERY advanced level. I think I may have played smash in total more than anybody, even if just by a bit. But that's just a guess. With theorycraft (esp during the brawl days when I cared about the game a lot like early 2010, or 2007 days when I was completely obsessed with being the perfect melee player with marth/fox) it becomes WAY more.

People just see results, and think "this is how things are". Or they see "top melee pro using their best characters from melee, where the skill all transfers, so these must be the best characters once again"

i say NO lol

There are so many underrated characters with VAST potential. Link is freaking incredible, but until Lord HDL comes and gets into his prime and plays this game, you guys won't see what his true potential is really capable of. You're just seeing the "true" potential of characters top melee pros play. I'll name the top 5 melee pros as examples, PP/me with marth, mango with spacies, me i guess me with sheik when i use her and maybe doc, my mewtwo (Even though taj/kdj's mewtwos fail from what I've seen; they both lost to ally's ike and then I beat him last month 3 stock low % same MU, or 3-0d dehf's spacies after taj lost both games, or 2 stocked the link that 3 stocked kdj) who I've logged just as many hours into as Fox (my most two used PM characters by far), PP's falco/marth (even tho he basically never plays PM), Hbox's puff (even though he never plays PM), and any top melee pro who just goes and uses the same character, is going to have the advantage of their character basically near-mastered already, outside of some MU experience and small differences.

I got lucky I spent so much of my time with mewtwo before he was announced in PM. Easily over 1k hours logged into that character and I get to play a near identical just improved one for PM so that transition was easy. Prob played him bout 100 hours now I'd say. Fox/Mewtwo are all I really play most of the time in PM. I've basically almost already fully mastered those characters; due to how long I played them already in Melee (not to mention in PM also). And I require Fox for hbox so I've logged tremendous time into fox recently from melee but I no longer need a good controller to use him well thanks to PM using the Brawl factor that you don't need to push the control stick as far to initiate a dash (esp dash-backwards the way you aren't facing) frame perfectly which is important at top level play.

As far as I've seen, even the worst of characters (like toon link and kirby? idk) can become good enough to win (although they may or may not need to be improved a bit; yes a BIT plz stop with MASSIVE tweaks just do very tiny ones plz aka what was done from sonic 2.5 to 2.6 was just dumb).

I didn't even want to vote on the CT tier list because not only do i not trust any of their uneducated opinions, but as much experience as I have from fighting so many people and traveling everywhere, I don't fully trust my own either. And when people aren't sure what to do they are just merely going to look at tourney results, and/or say the top melee chars are automatically the best again even though the worse characters (Link comes to mind for me immediately) are made -WAY- better.

I don't trust anybody's tier lists really, except my own for melee. Falco > Fox > Puff > Sheik > Marth > Peach > ICs > Falcon > Doc > Pikachu > Luigi > rest barely matter. Something either exactly that or very close to that, for me. I was against tier list stuff in general due to how uneducated most people are about most of the list. I don't even feel fully comfortable with ordering the worse characters in an exact order, despite how much I know about the ENTIRE melee cast.

tl;dr there are a lot of really good, unexplored characters. Mainly the melee top tiers are mostly already explored/mastered to the extreme, but the new ones not nearly as much (or not by as skilled of players). I don't care if that's "shot's fired", because it's my honest opinion. There is no Link that has mastered Link as much as any melee top pro has mastered their character. The way I see it, most of these new characters are capable of so much. inb4proveityourself which I've done many times with old claims (I said sheik was the best in 2009, people said prove it, so then I did for a while, people said to use puff if she's so broken, and i required her in order to win both Rom6 and Rom7 teams). I'm trying to explain why I choose melee characters myself (12 years of experience basically) for now, and why I believe there is so much potential with so many other characters. You can say "I could become the best if i was using a better character" from melee all you want, but unless you're Axe or Amsa, it is hard to take such statements seriously. I'm pretty much top 3 with every char in the cast from melee due to my basic fundamentals/understanding of smash/time spent playing many characters, so I can actually make this claim for myself, but I'm not going to take the randoms who main Roy and stuff seriously when I'm basically the best or 2nd best roy/GW/pichu/etc from melee while barely playing those characters outside for fun.

The ACTUAL reality is that those characters (the lower tiers) are MUCH LESS EXPLORED BY TOP PLAYERS THAN THE TOP TIERS FROM MELEE ARE.

Same is true for the brand new characters (Pit Lucas Ivysaur Wolf etc).

The reason is because why would somebody like DrPeePee spend all his time using Roy when he can be using Falco/Marth instead? He would be WASTING HIS TALENT to do that. So he invests his time and therefore specifc skillset into mastering the viable melee characters. This does NOT mean you need to make his melee mains crappier in PM with each update. (not saying anyone will; just saying in general).

The game is so new and unexplored still, because not many top pros use the new characters or have mastered them yet. Armaada for example has told me he did not play Pit very long, but is still immediately very good with him. Now it is true that I think pit is an amazing top tier, but imagine if his full skill would transfer from his melee peach for instance. We probably wouldn't be beating his pit at all because he would have invested so many 100s/1000s of hours into the character already with most of the skill immediately transferring almost completely. This does not necessarily make X character to be a certain level, you have to consider how mastered a character is already. I think spacies get comboed to hell and back for instance, and I just played Kels Fox with my mewtwo on oro's stream and beat him taking only 45% (the other games were all 2-4 stock still though, but I also 3 stock 30% in the mewtwo ditto). Mewtwo i think is good right now, but also not great. He's a good design i think. He's about mid-high tier imo, atm. He's pretty low/mid tier vs floaties, cuz his combo game lacks, but he's high/top tier vs the fast fallers it seems, cuz that is where his combos shine the most.

Link was bad design, you guys just made everything OP as hell. What the hell at a 12% lagless grapple that leads to kills, a lagless grab you can spam from a distance and usually not punish, dash attack comboing everything, jab being automatic combo to grab which leads to chain grabs or KOs, up B OOS or grab OOS both being a good 50 50 mixup on owning someone that touches your shield, insane recovery but also super heavy on top of boomerang comboing to everything, that's just super buffing everything from a melee mid tier and that's not good design.

All that was was trying to make worse characters better so that average smash players can pick up the character and upset really really good players who choose to use their best characters from melee. (Sorry but the truth is if you're a pro player in melee and/or brawl esp melee, then you are most likely just a really good player in general, and it's pretty unfair/dumb to want to punish them for that reason).

If you're "-only- good at PM", and you use a new gimmicky character, then your character is most likely either
a) secretly amazing/underrated
or b) no one knows the MU
or c) some combination of a + b.

You shouldn't be PUNISHED for wanting to use the same character you use from melee just cuz they were a good melee character, just like you shouldn't be so heavily rewarded for picking up the newest ridiculous character before he's fixed (2.5 sonic, 2.6 Ivy/Link iirc, etc). Big tweaks are also a little ridiculous, they should be minor adjustments a little at a time for the most part. In general, I would say pretty much leave the good melee chars alone, make the worse chars a little better (mewtwo/mario were a good example of what you guys did right, even though some moves like Confusion are still pretty useless compared to powershielding for example), leave top tiers alone (fox was made a LOT Worse than you guys think even already for example; laser camping is basically pointless because the damage you get from it is usually not worth the stage-control you lose from it, unless it's a super long stage vs a slow character on like pokemon stadium; I'm the run-away fox from Melee so I can really feel how much worse it's become. I'd highly prefer you restored fox to his regular melee self, but I know it's just insane to be asking here to do that since there is so much spacie bias since melee pros [mostly spacie players] can transfer their skill level over that way, and god forbid that happens), otherwise the melee pros are just going to be unhappy + might quit the game + that's unfair to do; they're just using a VASTLY more mastered character and they aren't stupid if they're a top player, they CHOSE a high/top tier (anyone from falcon to spacies on the tier list) because they want to win, so they INVESTED most of their melee time into a VIABLE character, so then that gets to immediately transfer into PM. This does NOT mean "X character is X good because Melee pro [aka very good player in general] did well with their main", which most people fail to understand.

Basically there are a lot of extremely good characters, but the most unexplored ones (by the most skilled players anyway) are the newer ones to me. I understand lack of MU knowledge against them to a degree, but that isn't more important than their actual untapped potential, imo. Which most characters aren't nearly there yet because godlike players from melee (or brawl but honestly mostly melee since pm is generally a lot more based on melee than brawl by far) use those characters because they would rather use characters they already mastered from melee, and they shouldn't have to be punished for that.

edit - btw, tiers seem a LOT Closer (even bottom to top diferences), than they were in Melee or Brawl. So I can see bottom tiers being quite close to as good as some top tiers in this game, where I absolutely could never see that in Melee or Brawl, so it's good success so far imo.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
you guys wanted the opinion of a top level player? There, you got it

I can guarantee that all of you are gonna disagree with everything he says lol

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You realize this is Melee right? Falco has a few differences in PM.

I'm also aware that Falco Dair is dope. However, there's a lot of other characters with solid spikes and meteors out there now. Just having a spike doesn't automatically make you top tier.
Comment on m2k's opinion on m2 :troll:

you guys wanted the opinion of a top level player? There, you got it

Guaranteed all of you guys are gonna disagree with everything he says lol
They gonna be like, show us yo face, sweat pants, your bathroom and you typing this message or your a fraud lmao

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
godlike players from melee (or brawl but honestly mostly melee since pm is generally a lot more based on melee than brawl by far) use those characters because they would rather use characters they already mastered from melee, and they shouldn't have to be punished for that.
How exactly are they being punished? It seems to me that they're winning a lot of tournaments, and their characters are still good. If you were a Melee player who mained a lower tier character (Mario, Mewtwo, Link, etc), your character probably got a lot better, so you can't complain about that.

The only people I can see that might have fallen off are Puff, Falco, and Ganon. And it's clearly not because their PM incarnation is inaccurate to Melee, these three are all pretty much dead on, it's because they're not quite versatile enough to deal with some of the new characters. I've been pushing for buffs for Puff and Ganon, but apparently it's more important for them to be like Melee than to be good.

Comment on m2k's opinion on m2
What's to say? He says "very good vs fast-fallers, decent vs the rest of the cast". The fast-fallers are very good, so that makes a strong argument for the character being high tier overall. If you go even vs most and beat the top tiers, you're top tier.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
So reacting to tech rolls as meta knight with downb is ridiculous.
nonono.

walking people to the ledge with Snake and d-throwing them is ridiculous. Seriously the only way to get out is hope that the snake player messes it up...

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
m2k ive been saying this for years but youre not actually good and neither are the melee players(ppl like mango and dehf are also pretty bad at the game) you just abuse crap like fox

Last edited:
Top Bottom