• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I mean, this logic makes no sense. There is almost zero commitment between when squirtle has to start the dsmash and when the hydroplane momentum starts. Just doing the shellshift puts the opponent in your immediate threat zone at a great distance, if they don't respond by either getting out of the way addressing your encroach directly (shield, beating you with an attack, jumping, crouching, etc, depending on what they think you'll do) then they risk taking a hit. And squirtle has a do nothing option, just do an empty shellshift then crouch, and all his options return. Or wavedash out of it. Can also just empty jump across the stage out of it, luigi can't do that. So if they commit in response to you doing nothing you get a nice chance of winning that interaction, even if it's just in terms of stage positioning. Calling a sliding dsmash a frame 38 move is like [couldn't find a comparison because squirtle is a weird ******, like the only character that gets to approach such long range with any aerial and (almost?) any grounded move].
Anyway idk who was complaining about dsmash except the squirtle mains, I basically just said squirtle's dsmash on squirtle isn't comparable to ROB/Bowser's/whoever else's because theirs are almost strictly immobile.
Luigi can WD into stand and have any of his grounded options too, with way less telegraph and by doing a simple wavedash, not being frame-tight at hydrocrawl. His Dsmash is frame 6.

Yes, the Dsmash isn't 1:1 comparable but if you're letting Squirtles do a whole bunch of shellshift trickery and letting them approach whenever they want then rethink the matchup. If there's pressure on them it gets mighty tough to have the stage space or time to do a whole 19 frame startup startup (for jump options only, hydrocrawl is minimum 22).

OBLIGATORY I'M NOT THE BEST PLAYER AND DF KICKS MY *** WARNING. No need to put that every time I post now, right? :)

Lucas is pretty good. I feel as though you're ignoring his good qualities. He has a great projectile, a ridiculous punish game, a pretty good dash dance with good options out of it, and dair.

What're his cons? bad grab, but he can convert off throws and uthrow still kills. Weak CC(?) could be worse. You say OOS game but I feel as though dair oos converts well enough for the frame data to be a little lacking in that department, and he has the tools to keep from getting locked in shield.

Fair is pretty good imo. sweetspot kills and has good shield pressure (?). Sure the sweetspot requires spacing but its very doable.
Not really defending Eisen since I think Lucas is on the whole a very good character, but his Dair is meh once you get counterplay. Not crapping on the move but against a competent opponent you're not gonna see those 3.02 Pink Fresh 4 Dair combos of yore. It's also frame 8 which is a respectable OOS option but beaten by a lot.

Not sure what "tools to keep from getting locked in shield" is tbh. Do you mean his mobility? Because that's good.

Fair is good but it's certainly not a "kill move". Not unless you're chasing people to the top of the blast zone with your double jump. It kills really really late. Nair's last hitbox is 10/143 and Fair's sweetspot is 36/95. Tough to eyeball knockback curves like that but I'm pretty sure Nair is a better kill move. Fair has more range. I don't want to quote any kind of percent since it varies on stage and stage position and whatnot. I dunno.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Uh, still haven't tested, but iirc, on Fox, magnet knock down at 0. Unless you are true crouching of course, but the first hit eliminates that option.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Not really defending Eisen since I think Lucas is on the whole a very good character, but his Dair is meh once you get counterplay. Not crapping on the move but against a competent opponent you're not gonna see those 3.02 Pink Fresh 4 Dair combos of yore. It's also frame 8 which is a respectable OOS option but beaten by a lot.

Not sure what "tools to keep from getting locked in shield" is tbh. Do you mean his mobility? Because that's good.

Fair is good but it's certainly not a "kill move". Not unless you're chasing people to the top of the blast zone with your double jump. It kills really really late. Nair's last hitbox is 10/143 and Fair's sweetspot is 36/95. Tough to eyeball knockback curves like that but I'm pretty sure Nair is a better kill move. Fair has more range. I don't want to quote any kind of percent since it varies on stage and stage position and whatnot. I dunno.
Sorry. Shouldve been more specific about some things. I understand that dair is pretty slow for an oos option, but most of the time if you connect with it you're going to get a decent punish, or at least a tech chase if the opponent is air borne. It's not amazing but the potential damage from it is good, and thus can be a bit slower imo.

Yeah I was referring to his mobility and the way Lucas interacts with his opponent by applying shield pressure or forcing approaches with pkf. I could be totally off base on this point though.

I feel like fair is a pretty good kill move in the situation where you combo or force your opponent offstage or up. I haven't considered nair but fair "seems" stronger, though that's subjective and not based on data soooooo...

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Mm yeah. Fair is good because it can reach a little bit but I still wouldn't consider it a "kill move". Which to me is the kind of move that, in the position you usually hit with it, will kill at ~120%. Just my personal definition. I don't think Lucas's Fair meets that criteria, his Bair is much better, his Nair I think is a little better but I'd have to run the numbers... *remembers he's a math major* I'm gonna go run those numbers.

Used SOJ's knockback calculator but Nair is a multihit so IDK if I put the total damage it does or the damage and KB values of the final hit dkm. I did damage as 6 as that's what the final hit damage is but since these KB are calculated at % after hit, wouldn't Lucas's curve be shifted over by 8 damage because this calculation is assuming he hit them 6% before calculation % but really it was probably 12 or 14 I dunno.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
re: squirtle/luigi

yeah luigi has strong, quick aerials and smashes but he also can't really move in the air horizontally aside from heavily telegraphed wavedrops and vududashes, which are high commitment burst movment options
and he's hella floaty, making him a sitting duck every time he's in the air and not comboing somene

meanwhile, squirtle has the potential for luigi-like movement on the ground as well burst movement in the air that's not nearly as committal as luigi. jumping for luigi is a huge investment and risk, while squirtle feels just as at home slinging across the stage in the air as he does on the ground
and squirtle can actuallly use his dash lmao

squirtle also has bubble, if any other character had as disjointed a move as bubble is relative to squirtle's body with similar traits there would be salt flowing the streets

I think they're similar characters but asking "why can't squirtle have good moves like luigi?" while ignoring all of luigi's major flaws is kinda questionable

the one gripe I do have with squirtle is that his movement is unintuitive as in he has a bunch of godlike tilts and bubble that he wants to use in neutral and a good wavedash but then all of a sudden in order to fully utilize his movement he has to dash, turnaround, invest a bunch of frames, lose temporary access to a significant amount of his kit, and then move across the stage
coming from luigi, I'm just like, what's the point of this, can't I just perfect wavedrop on the nearest platform?

I'm bad with squirtle, but I feel as though he has lots of tools, but that they're slightly awkwardly put together
or there's a bunch of misconceptions about when a squirtle is overextending or not

like squirtle's hydroplane movement options seem largely to be most relevant in the punish game, where a squirtle could essentially flowchart out punishes involving burst movement to get to places on the stage. investing that many frames on a telegraphed movement option in neutral seems questionable but ehh what do I know

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone is asking "why can't squirtle have good moves like luigi?" while ignoring all of luigi's major flaws.

The conflict is "why is Squirtle's Dsmash Knockback curve similar to Pikachu's/ROB's/Bowser's despite having like double the startup" and it just spiralled out of control lol.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I don't think anyone is asking "why can't squirtle have good moves like luigi?" while ignoring all of luigi's major flaws.

The conflict is "why is Squirtle's Dsmash Knockback curve similar to Pikachu's/ROB's/Bowser's despite having like double the startup" and it just spiralled out of control lol.
or more accurately

why does luigi have that dsmash while squirtle has this dsmash
which can be extrapolated to
why can't squirtle be like luigi

edit: **** it's late why am I talking about squirtle can't there be more important characters to talk about like olimar

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Lucas is pretty good. I feel as though you're ignoring his good qualities. He has a great projectile, a ridiculous punish game, a pretty good dash dance with good options out of it, and dair.

What're his cons? bad grab, but he can convert off throws and uthrow still kills. Weak CC(?) could be worse. You say OOS game but I feel as though dair oos converts well enough for the frame data to be a little lacking in that department, and he has the tools to keep from getting locked in shield.

Fair is pretty good imo. sweetspot kills and has good shield pressure (?). Sure the sweetspot requires spacing but its very doable.
PK Freeze? Good? Lmao whaaaat. The startup is something like 20-something frames before it even comes out, it gets beaten by jabs, it has 13 frames of landing lag when done in the air, so unlike Falco if you want to be in position to punish you have to commit or be in danger of being hit by some other neutral move. Fighting Wario is kinda hell because if they decide to side B when Lucas side Bs, the Lucas is screwed. Also, PKF is CCable as well, idk to what percent but it's... enough.

His CC could be worse? The two most brainded options every other character has at least one of, grab or dsmash, are not options for Lucas. At best, he gets nair and JC/jump magnet, so it's not "awful" per se because magnet is good, but it's less threatening than any character I can think of besides maybe Falcon, but even Falcon has decent grab options afaik. Dair OOS is ok, but it's nothing special. I guess it's not bottom tier, but it's pretty close. I don't know how much worse it could be.

Fair is not good, plain and simple. Its sweetspot lasts for a grand total of 2 frames, and that sweetspot is the mainly-designed portion of the move. By that I mean it goes best with his tool kit, but the precision required to get the move to do what it was designed to do is too much considering how easy it is for any character with comparable moves to get the fullest potential out of their move.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
For one, hydroplane options give Squirtle the most flexible/best tech chase options in the game. The part about Squirtle being weird is super true. I haven't developed on opinion on shellshift (outside of rar) in neutral. Too many unknowns + not my area of expertise. Rhus is a punish extender almost exclusive, idk much with hydrosmashes as I said, grab is the only hydro option I would consider. All the cool Squirtle's are talking about hydropivot/hydrocrawl/turbocrawl (what is this? I think its like wavescuttling out of hydroplane) stuff. If only Squirtle wasn't such a salt inducing character to fight, people would see how cool he is to think about, he is so open ended.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
PK Freeze? Good? Lmao whaaaat. The startup is something like 20-something frames before it even comes out, it gets beaten by jabs, it has 13 frames of landing lag when done in the air, so unlike Falco if you want to be in position to punish you have to commit or be in danger of being hit by some other neutral move. Fighting Wario is kinda hell because if they decide to side B when Lucas side Bs, the Lucas is screwed. Also, PKF is CCable as well, idk to what percent but it's... enough.

His CC could be worse? The two most brainded options every other character has at least one of, grab or dsmash, are not options for Lucas. At best, he gets nair and JC/jump magnet, so it's not "awful" per se because magnet is good, but it's less threatening than any character I can think of besides maybe Falcon, but even Falcon has decent grab options afaik. Dair OOS is ok, but it's nothing special. I guess it's not bottom tier, but it's pretty close. I don't know how much worse it could be.

Fair is not good, plain and simple. Its sweetspot lasts for a grand total of 2 frames, and that sweetspot is the mainly-designed portion of the move. By that I mean it goes best with his tool kit, but the precision required to get the move to do what it was designed to do is too much considering how easy it is for any character with comparable moves to get the fullest potential out of their move.
PK freeze comes out on frame 14 (aerial, the only kind of close range you should be using). Yes there are 13 frames of landing lag, but there are 8 frames of hitlag that your opponent suffers that you don't before you even factor in hitstun.

His CC Dtilt is actually pretty good. Frame 3 Yo.

Fair is good for shield pressure and combos. It's not a kill move. It doesn't actually require you to be that precise; if this is how you feel, practice more. I only hit sourspots if I want to.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I never thought I'd see the day when a non squirtle main actually understood squirtle things

For one, hydroplane options give Squirtle the most flexible/best tech chase options in the game. The part about Squirtle being weird is super true. I haven't developed on opinion on shellshift (outside of rar) in neutral. Too many unknowns + not my area of expertise. Rhus is a punish extender almost exclusive, idk much with hydrosmashes as I said, grab is the only hydro option I would consider. All the cool Squirtle's are talking about hydropivot/hydrocrawl/turbocrawl (what is this? I think its like wavescuttling out of hydroplane) stuff. If only Squirtle wasn't such a salt inducing character to fight, people would see how cool he is to think about, he is so open ended.
Hydroplanes defiantly work better as tech chase tools compared to approaches.

We've mainly been talkin bout hydrocrawl atm, because it's easier while retaining the same benefits of pivot and allowing the hydroreverse/turbocrawl

turbocrawl because damn it looks funny as hell to crawl backwards that fast

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
PlateProp PlateProp TheGravyTrain TheGravyTrain
why is hydrocrawling good for techchasing

I just don't know because I'm dumb
give me examples
hydrocrawlling would be good at low percents if you knocked them away and they have a long tech (shiek for example) in that you could follow up with a tilt, but if you can it's generally better to go for it and try the hydrodsmash

But I meant more that hydroplaning is better in tech chasing situations compared to trying it in neutral (unless you go balls deep/get a good read). RAR is even better for tech chasing because it allows for crossups (you can fling yourself behind the opponent and then aerial/side b when they tech towards you) and combo extension/followups (if you're too far away to get behind them you can still position so that you ccan hit with bair/nair)

In this vod I do some of the things (probablyalot, idk this was a while ago, no hydrocrawl stuff) with rar, matches start at about 21 mins http://www.hitbox.tv/video/742670 if you're trying to see what these look like

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Luigi can WD into stand and have any of his grounded options too, with way less telegraph and by doing a simple wavedash, not being frame-tight at hydrocrawl. His Dsmash is frame 6.

Yes, the Dsmash isn't 1:1 comparable but if you're letting Squirtles do a whole bunch of shellshift trickery and letting them approach whenever they want then rethink the matchup. If there's pressure on them it gets mighty tough to have the stage space or time to do a whole 19 frame startup startup (for jump options only, hydrocrawl is minimum 22).
Squirtle can also do the whole wavedash thing too ya'know
Also gonna need you to specify what you mean by "if there's pressure on them"
If you mean like, positional pressure, tada, that's the crux of the neutral game, and any time there's pressure on squirtle, there's pressure on the other guy from squirtle. If you're expecting the pressure to be on the squirtle the whole time or even the majority of the time you're just expecting the other player to be drastically better, squirtle is kinda good at getting out of bad situations, largely on virtue of size and how quick he can move; he can even shift movement quickly in the air after a jump at a speed a lot of characters can't catch. And if they are fast enough to catch him on a read, it still requires the read- trying to punish him for going airborne suffers the risk of giving him the stage when he jumps out and side-bs away. And don't tell me squirtle has a bad short game. Bubble and watergun, with a healthy pinch of other tools (Like crouching and wavedash... and just being ****ing small), largely solve that problem for him. He's not even susceptible to shield pressure considering the pushback he recieves. And all of this doesn't help that squirtle's another character excellent character at avoiding punishes- semi-floaty, small, disjoint (on one move [excluding water gun], exactly the amount he needs for it to matter and at the angle it needs to be to matter), high drifting ability, a quick sideways movement option after jump has been exhausted. That's part of the reason I don't want his techs changed. It's the only thing going against him as far as getting punished is concerned.

Last edited:

Farquaad

Smash Cadet
Squirtle can also do the whole wavedash thing too ya'know
Also gonna need you to specify what you mean by "if there's pressure on them"
If you mean like, positional pressure, tada, that's the crux of the neutral game, and any time there's pressure on squirtle, there's pressure on the other guy from squirtle. If you're expecting the pressure to be on the squirtle the whole time or even the majority of the time you're just expecting the other player to be drastically better, squirtle is kinda good at getting out of bad situations, largely on virtue of size and how quick he can move; he can even shift movement quickly in the air after a jump at a speed a lot of characters can't catch. And if they are fast enough to catch him on a read, it still requires the read- trying to punish him for going airborne suffers the risk of giving him the stage when he jumps out and side-bs away. And don't tell me squirtle has a bad short game. Bubble and watergun, with a healthy pinch of other tools (Like crouching and wavedash... and just being ****ing small), largely solve that problem for him. He's not even susceptible to shield pressure considering the pushback he recieves. And all of this doesn't help that squirtle's another character excellent character at avoiding punishes- semi-floaty, small, disjoint (on one move [excluding water gun], exactly the amount he needs for it to matter and at the angle it needs to be to matter), high drifting ability, a quick sideways movement option after jump has been exhausted. That's part of the reason I don't want his techs changed. It's the only thing going against him as far as getting punished is concerned.
Oy vey.

What do you mean regarding punishing him for going airborne giving him stage when he "jumps out and side bs away"? Side-b is absurdly unsafe in that it trades with almost every move with even mediocre knockback and straight up loses to disjoint, and it has 36 frames of endlag when they end the actual withdraw. If he's going towards you with his side b, hit him, if he's going away, he's losing a TON of stage and is going to be trapped in enough endlag that you can punish him. What's your issue?

Water gun's hitboxes that result in actual hitstun are only out for the first 11 frames, they result in very low stun and travel hardly any distance. The windboxes aren't particularly terrifying either. Water gun is most effective when being used to stuff movement/aerials and occasionally for landing a grab, but it's a massive commitment requiring an awful lot of precision to be safe considering how tight the spacing needs to be for you to have a chance of both following up and avoiding punishment.

Bubble? Yeah, bubble's good as all hell.

"Not susceptible to shield pressure considering the pushback he receives," aight, so I think you need to spend some more time seeing how he slides because this just isn't accurate at all...you made some other posts on reddit about this where someone (I think @pegthaniel) proved you wrong after spouting a bunch of crap regarding him sliding after being hit, but it really doesn't work quite that way.

And apparently loss of positioning isn't a big deal when sliding now but let's not get into that mess

Weird af to see you talking about how easy it is for a character to avoid being punished considering your main too

Idk. I'm tired. This post kinda started falling apart towards the end as I just got disgruntled. Squirtle is pretty cool. Yep

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Oy vey.

What do you mean regarding punishing him for going airborne giving him stage when he "jumps out and side bs away"? Side-b is absurdly unsafe in that it trades with almost every move with even mediocre knockback and straight up loses to disjoint, and it has 36 frames of endlag when they end the actual withdraw. If he's going towards you with his side b, hit him, if he's going away, he's losing a TON of stage and is going to be trapped in enough endlag that you can punish him. What's your issue?
You do not understand the scenario in question apparently. If you're being punished, a trade is advantageous for squirtle- he escapes the punish. Exceptions include trading with like, a finisher. Additionally, trading with or beating squirtle's side-b means you already read where he jumped to out of the punish/combo/etc and knew he was going to side-b. Do nothing/empty double jump (to platform or not) or also options. 36 frames is quick enough when it gets you back down to the ground from a bad situation while your opponent whiffs where they thought you were double jumping to. Most characters don't have large hitboxes that cover his zones of drift+fall after double jump plus his possible position change with side-b. Swinging at either one means he likely gets free with the other.

"Not susceptible to shield pressure considering the pushback he receives," aight, so I think you need to spend some more time seeing how he slides because this just isn't accurate at all...you made some other posts on reddit about this where someone (I think @pegthaniel) proved you wrong after spouting a bunch of crap regarding him sliding after being hit, but it really doesn't work quite that way.
You have a weak definition of proof. I don't think we were even discussing whether or not he slides on hit when holding down, I think we were discussion how important it is. And it's important any time he's hit with a move that's not mostly-vertical.

Weird af to see you talking about how easy it is for a character to avoid being punished considering your main too
Hey here's another one for the collage I'm making of all the times people said "LMAO COMING FROM A ROB MAIN THO" and thought it actually meant anything.
You don't have to remind me, I'm the one who wants him to have a slower double jump to help fix the problem. But even if I didn't, it have any bearing on my criticism of other characters.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Nair is a multihit so IDK if I put the total damage it does or the damage and KB values of the final hit dkm
You use the final hit, but with the % the opponent would be at if they were hit by the rest.

Ex: Seismic Toss on Zard is a multihit that ends in a hit of 4%. Dealing 15% total, you would add 11% to whatever % range you are testing (if you are comparing KB for when you grab somebody at 100%, you'd calculate them at 111% for that actual KB hit, etc)

steelguttey

mei is bei
someone talk about olimar

why isn't he top tier

what are his weaknesses and bad matchups

how much is pikmin rotation actually being used

what the **** is shadow puppetting

steelguttey steelguttey help me out
average stats, projectile is really weird with interactions and loses to everything, small disjoint so gets outranged easily, doodoo recovery

bad matchups are marth, sheik, fox, falco, super smash brothers melee, ike, and some other small ones but those are the biggest pain

by pikmin rotation i assume u mean whistle? uhh its not being used by any oli players cus we're lazy but its very good

puppet smashing is when u get a pikmin to desync from u and do a smash attack when its not connected to u, we have found one way to do it reliably but its really hard and kinda bad cus u cant have more than 2 pikmin. i do it on accident alot

Boiko

:drshrug:
Are you trying to say that magnet isn't a good option out of CC? Because that is not true.

Yes, Lucas doesn't have the greatest OoS options. He has an amazing offensive game, he is supposed to have a weakness somewhere. If you're getting caught in your shield, it's a player problem, not a character problem.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman

why isn't he top tier

His kit is good, but due how his projectile interacts with other projectiles, some characters become way harder then they need to be (e.g. spacies), which, considering that some of those are top tiers, kinda hurts his tournament viability.

He has small hitboxes, but he's tiny and relatively heavy for said size, so it evens out. Doesn't have the best OoS options, but they (Grab and Nair, Yellow Fair as well if you have it with you at the time) are still good against stupid stuff on shield that's not spacie level shield pressure. Mobility wise, he's pretty average. Not fast or slow on the ground or in the air, okay wavedash, decent waveland. There are little things that could be used to help speed it up slightly or mix it up (pluck cancelling and b-reverse whistle) though. Also, no goddamn grab armor. This makes some tilts safe on Oli's shield due grabbing a hurtbox with a hitbox attached to it at the time gets him knocked out of the grab. Dumb. Due some or all of these, disjoints tend to be bad, especially if it's a decently fast character, so FE tends to be hard, spacies as mentioned tend to win neutral (which is kind of Oli's shtick, losing it sucks) and have shield pressure which forces Oli to do one of his bad rolls. Sheik is generally considered to be in her favor, but I think it'll be even as time goes on or maybe in our favor. The reason is that Sheik's fastest "get all pikmin off me" move is Nair, but SH Nair is still fairly committal. Add in that neutral is kind of actually in Oli's favor (imo) and Sheik seems to have issues getting in. If she does get in tho, Oli can get tech chased to death due his poor tech rolls, so eh. Other badish MU's include Ivysaur, Metaknight, Tink and some others I forgot (maybe).

Depends on what you mean with rotation. Whistle wise, yeah it could be used more, especially in conjunction with purples. Say you have a line up of red blue purple purple with red being the one that was whistled to the front last. What you need to remember about whistle is that it sorts based on what color gets whistled to the front (which in turn depends where in the color order of RYBWP and if colors are present at all) and thus, doesn't always sort them in the same order. Now if you whistle, blue will go the front, with the purples right behind them. If you go through all of them with pikmin attacks and end up with red again at the front, if you whistle now, the purples will be in front again. This allows for longer Purple Toss harassment and/or Purple Pikmin Slide attempts and follow ups. It's one way to use it, but there are probably more that have their use in specific MU's/situations. I just don't know about them because I've been grinding out b-reverse whistles more 9.9

Steel already covered puppet smash so no need for me to do it.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, I'd actually prefer more costumes over some stages being rebalanced for competitive. We have Fusion Suit Samus FFS. Rule of cool and all. Don't underestimate the number of players sheer coolness brings in.

T tasteless gentleman So you're suggesting that Bowser should get a great neutral game, brutal punish game, armored attacks, strong aerial game, strong ground game, a quick grab (besides the command grab he has from klaw), several recovery mixups, and what else? I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not saying Bowser doesn't need work. But sweeping changes in so many different factors and facets of his overall game can interact with and screw the meta so fast you'll think we were playing vanilla Brawl.

Even to the worst characters, at this stage in the game sweeping changes are a bad bad bad idea IMHO. If you want to help a character, small tweaks that lend to their style and let them better capitalize on what they're good at, not bandage what they're less good at I think is a better design philosophy. It also instills a better sense of character identity. If bowser leans really heavily on his aerial game, aerial buffs would make sense. If he doesn't, I really don't think buffing it would.

The jumpsquat thing is something most people could probably agree on, and it'd be a tweak in the right direction to make Bowser a little more accessible which would also likely help his meta get better developed. The fact that it's a pain in the *** to do just the simplest movement maneuver is just ridiculous from a general player-usability/accessibility level.
A large amount of bowsers options have been getting nerfed. Mainly the great armour and punish game you just spoke about. So in theory, leaving the punish game and armour alone now (in its nerfed stage) and give bowser air speed and the frame data sounds reasonable. This down KK throw is not fooling me. It's just a red herring to trick people into thinking bowser is better than he was in 3.5 when really his angles and stats were "partially reverted" from 3.6b to 3.6.

I mean bowser is dumb to play against but only if you don't know the MU, he's slow with flame breath for neutral. And that's no good because you get camped by anything. I don't see bowser winning anything major. I mean why is fox still great even with all the nerfs? Becaufe is core is left alone. That's why bowser won't be good without actual game sweeping changes

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You do not understand the scenario in question apparently. If you're being punished, a trade is advantageous for squirtle- he escapes the punish. Exceptions include trading with like, a finisher. Additionally, trading with or beating squirtle's side-b means you already read where he jumped to out of the punish/combo/etc and knew he was going to side-b. Do nothing/empty double jump (to platform or not) or also options. 36 frames is quick enough when it gets you back down to the ground from a bad situation while your opponent whiffs where they thought you were double jumping to. Most characters don't have large hitboxes that cover his zones of drift+fall after double jump plus his possible position change with side-b. Swinging at either one means he likely gets free with the other.

You have a weak definition of proof. I don't think we were even discussing whether or not he slides on hit when holding down, I think we were discussion how important it is. And it's important any time he's hit with a move that's not mostly-vertical.

Hey here's another one for the collage I'm making of all the times people said "LMAO COMING FROM A ROB MAIN THO" and thought it actually meant anything.
You don't have to remind me, I'm the one who wants him to have a slower double jump to help fix the problem. But even if I didn't, it have any bearing on my criticism of other characters.
Trading is not advantageous most of the time for Squirtle, he's not Bowser.
Trading does bot escape the punish, Squirtle is still being hit and neutral is reset. If you take in consderation how small most of Squirtle's attacks are as well, you'd see that other characters would be trading in the same situations so this isint something unique to him.

Jumping out of a combo is something everyone can do as well. Thats what happens when you DI properly and time your escape. Something else not unique to squirtle

Side-Bing to the ground and expecting not to get punished only works against characters slow in the air, and maybe not even then. 36 frames is long enough for a Fox to be on the other side of smashville, start running the moment you end side b, and punish you with Usmash with frames to spare.

This leads to this question: Why is it Squirtle's fault that the opponent did not move fast enough to combo into whatever they were doing, and using his tools to escape? Luigi, Peach, and Bowser can escape combos by just hitting you out of them, and that's on that player for not being fast enough to followup, so why is is so awful that Squirtle can get out using a side b when it just means the opponent failed to continue their combo properly?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
:054:suggested listening:054:
press the arrow to go back to my last post
You are talking about dramatically increasing the start up of one of his moves for a six frame cut off at the end.
yes, and i've explained in my post that startup is not the be-all and end-all when a character has manipulable DJC.

You are destroying his ability to punish missed techs in favor of a platform AC that he can already do with bair.
Ness can punish missed techs with a lot of things other than dair and i hope i dont have to explain that you can just press dair earlier if the startup is increased lmao. increasing the startup of dair actually allows ness to chase techs when in the air which isn't currently possible either. already explained why, not doing it again. maybe i'll make a real picture by taking screenshots in dolphin to make it super obvious.

It is an objective nerf.
responses like this just make it obvious you read my post without taking any of it into consideration because i explained why it nerfed some aspects of ness whilst buffing others. im not talking ****, i'm qualified to compare these things because i've experienced the alteration im proposing in melee. so its not an objective nerf, dont dismiss me like that, its rude.

I have no idea what you are talking about with having more maneuverability with the move.
perhaps read my post again, or watch the videos i linked in it. this is just an ignorant response when i've provided you with the information/evidence to support my claims.

You can still do effectively whatever you want with it and delay it however you please.
if you double jump, wait 7 frames, and then input dair, i bet you $10000000 that the hitbox that comes out on frame 12 will be in a different position to if you double jumped, waited 2 frames, and then inputted the 10 frame dair.

All of his aerials AC out of a short hop anyway.
not sure why this is relevant when im discussing how this alters the mechanics of DJC lmao
And don't forget you have a magnet, which you can b reverse to bolster your movement options, and it's +4 on shield when DJ'd out of.
dont forget if we change dair we still have magnet

Ness' weaknesses to shielding is misinterpreted. It is not a weakness to shielding. It is a weakness to run up shield, which is used to counter all of his options at once.
literally addressed this point in my previous post

His punish game requires a read if your opponent techs the dair.
as do most characters. that's not to say that you can still cover many options with a PKF, b-reversed magnet into a DJC aerial/pkf, or DJC dair with the proposed change if you're still in the air when they tech.

Why should the character be punished because your opponent is having a hard time with a fundamental mechanic of the game?
not sure what you're referring to here

Granted, he can use DJC to set himself closer to the ground to try and follow the tech, but that is very difficult, especially when your opponent DI's the dair in a certain direction and techs in that direction. It is far too significant of a distance for him to follow up, even if you have bad tech rolls.
addressed this point in my last post

keenly await your amended response after you've properly read and digested my last post

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
As a rule, I generally don't like to have discussions with people who end their counterpoints with "lmao" or some type of variant. It's just a way of being condescending while trying to demean the other participant. All it actually does is make the user look bad when you're failing to fully see the argument I'm presenting. I know that you're specifically talking about DJC. I'm saying that you can use short hop>AC aerials to supplement that component of the game.

I watched your videos. What I see is a significant degree of inexperienced play. Why are these people jumping OoS at you when you very obviously dair above them? When your opponent exercises poor judgment, it doesn't make the move good.

You're saying that Ness can tech chase if you "press dair earlier if the start up is increased lmao." This gives your opponent a lot more time to react to the position that you put yourself in. Remember, good players don't necessarily need to react to the move, only the position (hence why full hop is countered by run up shield, because all landing options are covered). By leaving dair alone, your tech coverage options have more built in mix up potential. I'd rather this than careening above my opponent where I have less access to my options.

Yes, you're right that the hitbox would be in different places based on the static simulation that you proposed. You do have the maneuverability of DJC to work around this though. Plus, with your frame five dair that has fairly active hitboxes, you can place the move wherever you really choose. If you're having a problem with that, it says to me that you do not have adequate control over PM Ness' DJC mechanic.

Regardless of how you're trying to justify this, it is still an objective nerf. You're not buffing his neutral game. Any good player would swat you out of the start up of that dair. You, as you stated, are nerfing his punish game. It's a nerf all around. I did read you post, and consider it, and yes, I dismissed it, because it is misinformed.

It's great that you feel qualified to speak on how melee Ness operates in the melee environment. I encourage you to continue to explore that. However, this is not melee Ness, and the tools that may work for you there do not necessarily translate and work here, especially when better options are available.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter. It sounds like you need to explore PM Ness a lot more.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
suggested listening:054:
As a rule, I generally don't like to have discussions with people who end their counterpoints with "lmao" or some type of variant. It's just a way of being condescending while trying to demean the other participant. All it actually does is make the user look bad when you're failing to fully see the argument I'm presenting.
Apologies. i like to express myself, you dont have to interpret it as condescending because it's only intended to be playful. attaching music to my posts was made in the same vein

I know that you're specifically talking about DJC. I'm saying that you can use short hop>AC aerials to supplement that component of the game.
sh dair is the only thing that would change and doesn't cover any more options that sh fair/nair would unless the opponent is CCing

I watched your videos. What I see is a significant degree of inexperienced play. Why are these people jumping OoS at you when you very obviously dair above them? When your opponent option selects poorly, it doesn't make the move good.
that's not the purpose of the video. its to show the movement possible, and i said dair isnt good in melee. i said 20 frames is unrealistic. if you can only focus on the skill level of an old video then go ahead. my skill shouldnt be in question here, and if it is im happy to refer to reputable people i've played against and performed at an "acceptable" level.

You're saying that Ness can tech chase if you "press dair earlier if the start up is increased lmao." This gives your opponent a lot more time to react to the position that you put yourself in.
you also have more time to drift control and change the position before committing to a direction, which i've also addressed, and this gives you an option that seemingly gives the opponent time to react to but in reality its just as much as a read as if they were expecting the current dair anyway. the only information they get is that you're going to use dair. with <15 frame startup its not reactable anyway.
Remember, good players don't necessarily need to react to the move, only the position (hence why full hop is countered by run up shield, because all landing options are covered).
no, not all landing options are covered by a run up shield. especially when you can use magnet to alter momentum before a DJC from which you can alter momentum again and retreating fair/dair, FF nair, wavebounce PKF, anything really.
By leaving dair alone, your tech coverage options have more built in mix up potential. I'd rather this than careening above my opponent where I have less access to my options.
dair as it is only limits ness' movement and tech coverage when compared to the proposed version, since fair/nair/uair/bair/mag can be used to cover anything that dair would normally cover.
Yes, you're right that the hitbox would be in different places based on the static simulation that you proposed. You do have the maneuverability of DJC to work around this though. Plus, with your frame five dair that has fairly active hitboxes, you can place the move wherever you really choose. If you're having a problem with that, it says to me that you do not have adequate control over PM Ness' DJC mechanic.
never said i had a problem with it. i've only said that the change allows ness to access more DJC movement which is currently not possible. wow

Regardless of how you're trying to justify this, it is still an objective nerf. You're not buffing his neutral game. Any good player would swat you out of the start up of that dair. You, as you stated, are nerfing his punish game. It's a nerf all around. I did read you post, and consider it, and yes, I dismissed it, because it is misinformed.
incredible. the evidence is there as to why its useful and why it buffs neutral game. the references to good players just assumes im not aware of high level play, nor capable of it. but does that even matter. pretending if i was aware of it, i dont see how my points become any more legitimate anyway because i've addressed and shown im aware of the pros and cons.

It's great that you feel qualified to speak on how melee Ness operates in the melee environment. I encourage you to continue to explore that. However, this is not melee Ness, and the tools that may work for you there do not necessarily translate and work here, especially when better options are available.
you're right, the characters are in no way comparable to each other. ness' aerials and djc in pm are literally alien compared to melee. it seems you really dont want to even dicuss this because you're just questioning and condescending me at this point and the contention is being ignored, when i've tried to address all of your counterpoints with responses detailing potential option coverage, movement, what aspects are lost/buffed, how it effects the mixup game of ness in the air while nerfing punish game, etc. but yeah, feels like this is all pretty pointless so last post i promise. sorry that you think i've never been exposed to a good player and practiced what im preaching, even though i dont see how it's neccessary - only supportive.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman

why isn't he top tier

steelguttey steelguttey help me out
Also his up B lacks a purpose in terms of recovery. When some thing that slow, had that low KB, and that much landing lag. It's basicaly if you have to use it and you can not grab ledge your going to eat and stock or a lot of damage. Also you can't punish with grabs properly because olimars pikmin share his hurt box or something. Oh peach is down smashing and you have a blue? Better not grab her or you'll eat damage even though your two characters length away lol

How serious are we about this blastoise concept? In brawl minus, bowser slides when you crouch cancel down smash and it is glorious lol.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
You use the final hit, but with the % the opponent would be at if they were hit by the rest.

Ex: Seismic Toss on Zard is a multihit that ends in a hit of 4%. Dealing 15% total, you would add 11% to whatever % range you are testing (if you are comparing KB for when you grab somebody at 100%, you'd calculate them at 111% for that actual KB hit, etc)
That's what I thought, thanks. The KB calculator doesn't do that but it's the same as just shifting the line left by the percent dealt before the final blow.

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
Speaking of builds instead of "super theorycraft bros", has anyone outside of Umbreon and the Ike boards checked out these proposed Ike changes? What do you guys think of them?

Here's some stuff that I and the Ike Skype Chat have been talking about.

Hoboz Suggested Changes for Ike in the Next Patch:

- Revert aspects of Ike's tool kit to 3.5 states, namely:
* Ike's U-Throw being reverted to the 3.5 release point.
* Ike's QD Attack (and maybe the endlag if that effects QD Attack) being reverted to 3.5.

- Ike's Nair changed to be 1 frame faster by removing 1 frame of start-up (active Frame 6 then)
- Lower Ike's Dash Grab to land on crouching opponents (such as Jigglypuff and Kirby)
- Give Ike either his Japanese Voice or a new Voice Actor (as manly as ****ing possible)

What does these changes solve in Ike's defects?

1. QD Attack and U-Throw check Dash Dance abusive characters better by allowing for more potent conversions at ranges where Dash Dancing is most effective. Ike won't be hopelessly swinging for openings, allowing for a more interactive match.
2. QD Attack and Dash Grab changes help check Crouch Cancels and Low Profiling. Ike currently has no tools to interact with these strategies at most percents (or ever), leading to a lot of frustration.
3. Nair provides some very mild defensive spacing against approaches, which he generally lacks due to his extremely slow disjoints.
4. Makes him feel more badass and fun when he bends you side ways with signature punishes, heavy sounding sword swings, and less cheesy sounding lines.
5. Overall, these changes provide more reliable conversions which he generally lost from 3.5 to 3.6 while not really affecting his relative power level. His current conversion tools make the game slower and less fun in general. All of these changes would allow him to have a combo game against the entire cast.

How do these changes affect Ike and the rest of the cast?

- Most of Ike's generally even or good match-ups will remain unchanged in how they are played.
- Ike's bad match-ups will likely continue to be his bad match-ups, but will be more fun for the players by preventing singular options (such as Crouch Canceling, Low Profiling, Dash Dancing, and Air Camp) from exclusively dictating how the match is played, while still keeping them as potent options in the MU.
- His punish game will be more normalized and consistent across the cast with an U-Throw that doesn't send well past the top of BF's platforms at 0%.

Yes, these might look like some might powerful changes, but I want to point out I would generally go with these changes if they would be granted across the cast. I definitely think Pit, Bowser, D3, and other possible characters would benefit greatly from having improved tools to also mildly correct their defects and add consistency to their punish games.

Lastly, seriously, after seeing Umbreon and Ripple do their own postings on this, I highly recommend -every character forum- post one of these and try to come up with ideas.
If you want to test out the changes, there's a way to do that thanks to @NWRL.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-m5cJsUTznlUHd0R3NqRkhubUU/view?usp=sharing

Just delete your Ike folder and replace it with this if you feel like testing the suggested changes!

EDIT: It was suggested that I use 3.6 as a base, this build has the buff to nair, lowered dash grab hitboxes, and 3.5 QD attack

I am still learning how to change throws so it does not have the suggested throw changes... yet

Exact changes are:

Nair: Animation sped up 1 frame, added frame speed modifier of 1.17, active frames 6-17 instead of 7-18

QD Attack:
--Endlag -3 (IASA 32 from 35)
--BKB 50 from 40
--KBG 120 from 130

Dash Grab
Lowered catch collision by 1 unit, this allows Ike to grab all low profile characters with a dash grab.
So who's down to actually play test some changes and see how it goes? I'm definitely a huge fan of the marth-esque dash grab, but I'd be curious to see more people play around with the changes.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Like plate said, hydroplane options like grab make Squirtle tech chasing great. Normally, reaction tech chasing wants you standing next to tech, then react. With Squirtle tech starters, that isn't really an option. Having an option out of run bypasses this. Line up run with the spot of tech around frame 18 = setup done. Hydro grab tech in, grab tech in place, continue dash to tech away. Not the only options, just examples.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I like my m8's voice, it's pretty gr8.

Dash grabs definitely should be able to grab all crouching characters. And what is the difference of the 3.5 uthrow? It's an argument I've seen that I've no idea what it entails (on mobile; can't check). Please don't buff his nair lol. It's so good. And what was the QD atk like again?

I like the fact that those proposed changes seem pretty reasonable, but the 3.5 throw is probably the main reason for the proposed changes iirc.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
3.5 up-throw release point releases people a lot lower. it allows him to CG spacies for an additional like 40% than what he already can. and generally allows follow ups much longer on everyone.

JOE!

Smash Hero
- Give Ike either his Japanese Voice or a new Voice Actor (as manly as ****ing possible)

4.0 == Ike Replaced with Macho Man Randy Savage wieldign a massive SlimJim

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
A large amount of bowsers options have been getting nerfed. Mainly the great armour and punish game you just spoke about. So in theory, leaving the punish game and armour alone now (in its nerfed stage) and give bowser air speed and the frame data sounds reasonable. This down KK throw is not fooling me. It's just a red herring to trick people into thinking bowser is better than he was in 3.5 when really his angles and stats were "partially reverted" from 3.6b to 3.6.

I mean bowser is dumb to play against but only if you don't know the MU, he's slow with flame breath for neutral. And that's no good because you get camped by anything. I don't see bowser winning anything major. I mean why is fox still great even with all the nerfs? Becaufe is core is left alone. That's why bowser won't be good without actual game sweeping changes
So the PMDT's evil plan is to trick people into liking something about Bowser so they can secretly wage war on him for funzies and Nerf him in secrecy? That seems to be your implication here.

Again I'm really wondering what makes you think Bowser needs both a great neutral and a great punish game. His punish game is still downright brutal and if his armor used to be stronger then that's seriously overkill. His woes don't seem to be that he doesn't have enough armor. He's got it oozing out of his ears. I see you complain about Bowser a lot but I never see you offer experience, specific solutions, or his strengths that could be built on.

You want a strong neutral, okay. Why? What would you do to accomplish this in a way that wasn't game breaking? How would this build on Bowser's strengths. How would this lend to his style?

At one point, making Bowser perform partially falls on you as a Bowser main to develop him. In the end, without those key factors, all of it just amounts to a big whine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom