• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Metroid Reps for Fighter Ballot.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
So I assume we all agree that Metroid does not have enough reps in Sm4sh. Really only Samus. For such a big title you'd think there would be more.

Before the Ridley fans start shouting his name, He will never be in sm4sh as a character. Not only because the size thing, but also because he's already in it as a boss.

After a quick google search I found Little Birdie. From Metroid: Other M. Little birdy is a clone of ridley in an infant stage, who murdered two scientists to escape captivity. I realize this is a little dark for smash, but if they can put it in a metroid game i don't see why not.
Here's a link to a wiki page about him:
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Birdie

If this is too dark for nintendo to put in smash, My next choice would be a Chozo. Chozo's first made an appearance in Super Metroid I believe. They were the statues that game to life. They already have a ton of moves for movesets across metroid games. They are pretty big however, maybe double the size of samus, not as big as ridley though. It would definitely be a unique character.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Chozo

Anyways if we can band together to all vote on a metroid rep or two, maybe we can get noticed and get one of these guys in the game.

Anyone have any other ideas for Metroid Reps? I'll start a Poll later with the results. Hopefully after that we can all put in a barrage of ballots for the same character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Since Ridley isn't a possibility given the current circumstances Metroid has all the reps it needs, in fact ZSS should be considered a bonus. Yes, the franchise has had success that far surpasses having only two character in Smash Bros, but Metroid as a franchise is not very character-centric either, the only characters who appear time and time and again are Samus and Ridley, nobody else is guaranteed to ever appear again in the future, nor have they had significant impact (well, Mother Brain has, but she's an AT and wouldn't be viable as a character either.)

People throw around names like Sylux, Rundas and Anthony Higgs, but none of those are important to Metroid at all, it'd even make more sense to add characters like Cranky Kong or King Boo than those. If a character's biggest reason for inclusion is the franchise he/she originates from then they shouldn't be in Smash, a character should be able to stand on their own feet, no Metroid character other than Ridley can do that, everyone else would just be forced into the game because of their origins and nothing more. I say this because Metroid is my favorite franchise and I don't want it to be falsely represented in Nintendo's biggest marketing tool, a character like Sylux who only appears as a mini-boss in a spin-off game does not represent Metroid, he's absolutely nothing in the franchise's grand scope, it'd be wrong to make people unfamiliar with Metroid think that he's important when he quite simply isn't. Other suggestions like a Space Pirate or a Chozo don't make sense either as they aren't specific characters, you might aswell add regular Koopas or Moblins, at that point suggestions just get desperate imo.

Metroid really just doesn't need anymore reps, putting in any other characters than Ridley would be so forced and unnecessary. Besides, there's an actually character-centric franchise with only two characters that needs an additional character or two way more than Metroid, that being Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Since Ridley isn't a possibility given the current circumstances Metroid has all the reps it needs, in fact ZSS should be considered a bonus. Yes, the franchise has had success that far surpasses having only two character in Smash Bros, but Metroid as a franchise is not very character-centric either, the only characters who appear time and time and again are Samus and Ridley, nobody else is guaranteed to ever appear again in the future, nor have they had significant impact (well, Mother Brain has, but she's an AT and wouldn't be viable as a character either.)

People throw around names like Sylux, Rundas and Anthony Higgs, but none of those are important to Metroid at all, it'd even make more sense to add characters like Cranky Kong or King Boo than those. If a character's biggest reason for inclusion is the franchise he/she originates from then they shouldn't be in Smash, a character should be able to stand on their own feet, no Metroid character other than Ridley can do that, everyone else would just be forced into the game because of their origins and nothing more. I say this because Metroid is my favorite franchise and I don't want it to be falsely represented in Nintendo's biggest marketing tool, a character like Sylux who only appears as a mini-boss in a spin-off game does not represent Metroid, he's absolutely nothing in the franchise's grand scope, it'd be wrong to make people unfamiliar with Metroid think that he's important when he quite simply isn't. Other suggestions like a Space Pirate or a Chozo don't make sense either as they aren't specific characters, you might aswell add regular Koopas or Moblins, at that point suggestions just get desperate imo.

Metroid really just doesn't need anymore reps, putting in any other characters than Ridley would be so forced and unnecessary. Besides, there's an actually character-centric franchise with only two characters that needs an additional character or two way more than Metroid, that being Donkey Kong.
pretty much exactly what I would have said, more or less. Metroid should not have any more reps. Having Samus and Zamus as fighters, and the 3 assist trophies (Metroid, Dark Samus (...Damus?), and Mother Brain) is perfectly reasonable. They should add King K. Rool before any Metroid character. The only Metroid content they should add is more trophies of characters from the older Metroid games, like Kraid, Phantoon, etc.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Since it's not going to be Ridley, it should be a Hunter. No other Hunter has appeared in more than one game, so it's down to popularity. I vote Sylux.

I might feel like Zamus and Samus was enough Metroid representation if people thought Mario and Dr. Mario was enough Mario representation.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
The only one that makes real sense is Dark Samus. Fighting games have a long history of clones, and smash is full of them. Dark Samus would not be completely out of place, albeit it gets released already as an item so the chances are low. I also personally feel even though I love metroid (no really?) other games and player desires should be met first.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Look i'll just say this since I heard someone say he can't be in because he's a "boss"

The Ridley that you fight in Smash 4 is a clone which mean's it's not the real one so yeah just getting that out there, you feel that Metroid doesn't need another newcomer then that fine by me I just wanted to clear that up.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley was my most wanted newcomer, but he can't happen anymore.

Dark Samus was like my fifth. She can't happen anymore either.

Aw heck.

I choose Manthony.

And I'll go buy a hat and eat it if a non specific member of an extinct race like the Chozo get in Smash as a playable character.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration

Aw heck.

I choose Manthony.

And I'll go buy a hat and eat it if a non specific member of an extinct race like the Chozo get in Smash as a playable character.
Why? Because sakurai so?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Baby Metroid.

The thing appears in four Metroid titles, first showing in up in Metroid II, then it saves Samus's life in Super Metroid and again, technically, in Fusion, as a vaccine is created from its cells. Plus the flashbacks in Other M, showing it's still a big deal in modern canon. Aside from a couple other recurring bosses, it's the next most prevalent character in the series.

It might seem silly to consider a random disposable enemy as the next best rep, but it's not just another Metroid. It's a very specific individual Metroid.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not if someone already proved him wrong but i'm getting ahead of myself, i just gonna leave before I cause any trouble.
Bro, you don't need to convince me.

You need to convince Sakurai he was wrong.

Only then will he have a chance again.

Baby Metroid.

The thing appears in four Metroid titles, first showing in up in Metroid II, then it saves Samus's life in Super Metroid and again, technically, in Fusion, as a vaccine is created from its cells. Plus the flashbacks in Other M, showing it's still a big deal in modern canon. Aside from a couple other recurring bosses, it's the next most prevalent character in the series.

It might seem silly to consider a random disposable enemy as the next best rep, but it's not just another Metroid. It's a very specific individual Metroid.
It also has no arms or legs.

Or any moveset potential outside of tackles, going SKREEEEE and sucking people's life energy.

SKREEEEEEE

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Aw heck.

I choose Manthony.

Evidence for any of that. It sounds like a pretty big assumption. Follows the same logic that "deconfirmed" Toon Link.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It also has no arms or legs.

Or any moveset potential outside of tackles, going SKREEEEE and sucking people's life energy.

SKREEEEEEE
I thought we had moved past such petty claims as 'no moveset potential.'

Side B - Command grab that sucks health away
Down B - Command grab that sucks health away
Up B - Jumping Command grab. Maybe it sucks health away.
Grab - Grab. The pummel sucks health away.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It's Ridley or bust, and since we won't get Ridley, we won't get any.

Actually... MAYBE a generic Space Pirate, that's the only one I could actually see having some sort of chance. It would be akin to putting a Goomba instead of Bowser, but at least you can derive an interesting moveset out of a Space Pirate.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought we had moved past such petty claims as 'no moveset potential.'

Side B - Command grab that sucks health away
Down B - Command grab that sucks health away
Up B - Jumping Command grab. Maybe it sucks health away.
Grab - Grab. The pummel sucks health away.
You forgot SKREEEEEE!

Seriously, that is fun to type out.

SKREEEEE

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
He's gone back on such statements before. They are literally meaningless at this point. If there is enough demand they may decide to change their mind again, just as they did with Villager.

You don't have any precedents to base your statements on, they are just wild assumptions.
Just because he has gone back on his statements doesn't mean he automatically will. Could he? Maybe. Will he? I don't know, but you are making as many assumptions as everybody else, except everyone else is basing their assumptions on reality, while you are basing yours on a remote possibility.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Just because he has gone back on his statements doesn't mean he automatically will. Could he? Maybe. Will he? I don't know, but you are making as many assumptions as everybody else, except everyone else is basing their assumptions on reality, while you are basing yours on a remote possibility.
This is exactly the point though. It's not "he's going to go back on it and add Ridley, 100% guaranteed", it's that it proves that such statements isn't a basis to say "well that's it, pack it up everyone".

The claim from the moderators is that it's 100% confirmed that the likes of Ridley, Takamaru and such cannot ever be in the game, they cannot be added as DLC. But they have no backing for that statement, it's based on the assumption that some presence (of even similar characters in Ridley's case) suddenly means that they're ruled out, even when we already have evidence that the opposite is true (i.e. Toon Link is a playable character, despite being a part of a stage).

At this point anything beyond "everyone is fair game for now" is a huge assumption, that is what I take issue with.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's gone back on such statements before. They are literally meaningless at this point. If there is enough demand they may decide to change their mind again, just as they did with Villager.

You don't have any precedents to base your statements on, they are just wild assumptions.
Villager was after years.

You're asking a guy to do a 180 in less than a year.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Ridley is the only viable Samus rep.

The Hunters were only in one game (Prime 3) and another game that was poorly received (Hunters on DS), and they're rather obscure characters. Dark Samus being an Assist trophy makes her unlikely.

Ridley or bust.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Why not. It's post development cycle and they've begun a new project (DLC). If there's enough demand I'm sure there would be a tap on the should and a quiet "maybe you should reconsider". The same goes for all those "deconfirmed" characters people talk about.

Particularly with there being virtually nothing that needs to be reworked to add Ridley as a playable characters (as by the games, Clone Ridley is a different character to the original Ridley), then surely there is no need to lock such threads, even if you feel them unlikely.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Iwata did say in the Direct, "We heard your request" (in regards to Lucas).

If DLC was possible in Brawl, I don't doubt Villager would have been considered.

Regardless, I don't see it as anymore likely than you do. But I don't see it as impossible if there WAS sufficient fan demand.

Truth be told, the poll itself seems like something Sakurai would be reluctant on doing, seems more like executive meddling MAKING him change his mind.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Iwata did say in the Direct, "We heard your request" (in regards to Lucas).

If DLC was possible in Brawl, I don't doubt Villager would have been considered.

Regardless, I don't see it as anymore likely than you do. But I don't see it as impossible if there WAS sufficient fan demand.

Truth be told, the poll itself seems like something Sakurai would be reluctant on doing, seems more like executive meddling MAKING him change his mind.
This is the thing, I think someone has tapped on someones shoulder here.

To be completely honest I think we'll see at least one "deconfirmed character" released as DLC, and just like every other game that has gone through this, it'll seem so irrelevant once they've done it once.

The big thing is when they stop making DLC, as companies rarely announce that, they just kind of go silent on it one day usually.

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
*Quote unboldified for your viewing discomfort :)*

This. I thought about that the whole first hour after it was announced. But then again, there is enough loophole there for him to skip certain characters too. It also REALLY makes me wonder what the most requested characters are..... besides Goku......

Shog

Smash Ace
I voted for Ridley and my second vote would go for a Metroid (Omega Metroid anybody?)

Edit: a Chozo in Armor would also be kinda sick!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If it is not Ridley, I don't really want a second Metroid rep.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anthony Higgs, no doubt!

I have hopes that he might become a alt to :4miigun: after the last Direct.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If it is not Ridley, I don't really want a second Metroid rep.
Pretty much this. There's no one else nearly as notable/important/reoccuring as Ridley is in the Metroid series, and if he can't get in, then I think Metroid is pretty much finished as far as playable characters are concerned. There's Dark Samus, but she's only in 3 out of around 11 games and she hasn't made a major game appearance since the conclusion of the Metroid Prime trilogy in 2007. Not much merit in her inclusion other than "but metroid needs another rep!!!".

Reila

Pretty much this. There's no one else nearly as notable/important/reoccuring as Ridley is in the Metroid series, and if he can't get in, then I think Metroid is pretty much finished as far as playable characters are concerned. There's Dark Samus, but she's only in 3 out of around 11 games and she hasn't made a major game appearance since the conclusion of the Metroid Prime trilogy in 2007. Not much merit in her inclusion other than "but metroid needs another rep!!!".
I think Dark Samus could be an interesting fighter, if they include her powers as the Metroid Prime in her moveset somehow, but alas, she is already an assist trophy and I stand by my statement that Ridley is pretty much the only suitable character for a second Metroid rep.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
the thing with Ridley is that he got a lot more than "just another metroid rep" for him going, while everyone else besides maybe dark samus and motherbrain (If modok in MVC3 was made playable, mother brain could be made playable if sakurai REALLY wanted to make her)
everyone else would be just "another metroid rep"
The only one with a slight chance of happening could be sylux, but only as a samus clone (or a semeclone with a twist) due to being easy to implement mostly, but i wouldn't put my money on it.

I wouldn't mind anthony and sylux mii gunner costumes though : D

Shog

Smash Ace
Well I might repeat that a Omega Metroid as a playable character would be interesting (Omega Queen final smash?)

Would also represent Metroid literally :D

Reila

Sylux is the very definition of "just another Metroid rep"

Top Bottom