• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Metroid Reps for Fighter Ballot.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In general, I've never liked the idea of wanting a random character to get in just so your favorite franchise get have "more reps". Wanting Ridley based on his own merits (like overall importance, what he can add to the game, etc) is one thing, but wanting him just so "Metroid can get another rep" seems really shallow to me.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
ugh such negativity in this thread make me sick, "It's Ridley or bust" makes me realize why everyone hate Ridley and his fans.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The only possible choice was Ridley, the hunters only appeared in 1 game, Adam is hated and Anthony is a meme, If Sakurai doesn't want to add Ridley because he is too big, then he won't add Kraid, MB, etc because they are even bigger

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
About ridley

ENOUGH sakurai is never going to budge on what he said, besides ridley already has a role in sm4sh

(But you can give it a shot on commencing him wrong(explain in the ballot), it may be possible but i really doubt its going to work for sm4sh)

Only 2 choices its either one to all of the 6 (exclusing samus armored) (But sylus has the biggest atvantage of the 6)

Or
Anthony higgs

And theres something you guys forgot, theres speculation on the secret ending of metroid prime 3 if that ship was sylus's not dark samuses.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Villager was after years.

You're asking a guy to do a 180 in less than a year.
Not only that, but it's an opinion Sakurai has probably held for very many years now, which means it's unlikely to change and especially in the span of a single year. Unlike Villager Ridley has existed for so long that he's been a possible choice for every installment of Smash, but not even once has he been even close to being a playable character. Villager missed out on one installment since his creation, that being Brawl, and when the next installment came around Sakurai had to rethink his stance on him and came to the conclusion that he was suited for battle after all. Sakurai has come back to Ridley probably at least 3 times, that being for Melee, Brawl and Smash 4, and all three times he reached the same conclusion: He isn't viable as a playable character. If a man doesn't change his opinion on a subject after going back to it three times in the span of over 10 years, he isn't likely to ever change his opinion on that matter. I mean, why would it change? Even if he tops the poll it won't happen, it's not like Ridley has lacked popularity after all, he was one of the top picks by fans for both Brawl and Smash 4 and Sakurai knows this, he just doesn't agree.

I'm hoping and do believe that someday we'll get someone leading a Smash game's development who does agree with the concept of Ridley as a playable character, someone who's as popular and important as Ridley can't be held back forever, but that day is still many years away at this point, and until then I don't want another Metroid character to join the roster, there's just no other sound candidates imo. Even in future Metroid installments I highly doubt we'll see any new reoccuring characters, it's just not in the franchise's nature.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
About ridley

ENOUGH sakurai is never going to budge on what he said, besides ridley already has a role in sm4sh

(But you can give it a shot on commencing him wrong(explain in the ballot), it may be possible but i really doubt its going to work for sm4sh)

Only 2 choices its either one to all of the 6 (exclusing samus armored) (But sylus has the biggest atvantage of the 6)

Or
Anthony higgs

And theres something you guys forgot, theres speculation on the secret ending of metroid prime 3 if that ship was sylus's not dark samuses.
So basically you want one shot character over the main villain?

So Sakurai said that pac-man and an animal crossing fighter wouldn't work and we have then in smash has fighters now so yeah and also please look up a picture of Other M Rildey then one of Super Metroid Ridley and see how they look nothing alike so that you can realize how sill that statement was. (plus that one is a clone)

ugh such negativity in this thread make me sick, "It's Ridley or bust" makes me realize why everyone hate Ridley and his fans.
If people hate for that reason then that's pretty shallow.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So basically you want one shot character over the main villain?

So Sakurai said that pac-man and an animal crossing fighter wouldn't work and we have then in smash has fighters now so yeah and also please look up a picture of Other M Rildey then one of Super Metroid Ridley and see how they look nothing alike so that you can realize how sill that statement was. (plus that one is a clone)

If people hate for that reason then that's pretty shallow.
Let me explain about the interview
First off yes i do want ridley, (i was the one who made the shadow points pictures by the way)

The shrink wings to ruin infinite flight problem,

Yes i know thats iffy problem due to charizard flying for the same amount as Ridley and sakurai doesn't realize ridley doesn't aleays relie on air attacks.

And yes sakurai is failing to see that shrinking him will not ruin his menancing looks.

We can probably commencing him on those but.

I have no idea how to commence him on the balance part.

Tell me how the balance part can be surpassed.

If you can i will add ridley to my list of characters to vote for.

Wolley2xjd

Let me explain about the interview
First off yes I do want Ridley, (I was the one who made the shadow points pictures by the way)

The shrink wings to ruin infinite flight problem,

Yes i know that's iffy problem due to Charizard flying for the same amount as Ridley and sakurai doesn't realize Ridley doesn't always rely on air attacks.

And yes sakurai is failing to see that shrinking him will not ruin his menacing looks.

We can probably commencing him on those but.

I have no idea how to commence him on the balance part.

Tell me how the balance part can be surpassed.

If you can I will add Ridley to my list of characters to vote for.
Balance? OK then.

Pro's

-Great attack range and power.

-One of the best air fighters in the game.

-has projectiles

-Heavy so hard to launch.

-Has 5 jumps and a great recovery.

Con's

-He' the largest fighter in the game so he can be hit pretty easily.

-Most of his attacks have long start up or end lag not count his specials.

-He's heavy so he's falls pretty fast.

-His projectiles have good range but aren't has strong has his normal attacks.

-Some what slow on the ground.

And for size this would be his size.

wjsWaNZ.png

So yeah that's how I would balance him, if you want you join the Space Pirate's Luxurious Mansion, look for some named
"Ridley Prime" and ask for invention.

Trust me for Space Pirate's their really quite nice. :)

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I really hope that they will get votes for Ridley up the arse. Just out of principle.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Balance? OK then.

Pro's

-Great attack range and power.

-One of the best air fighters in the game.

-has projectiles

-Heavy so hard to launch.

-Has 5 jumps and a great recovery.

Con's

-He' the largest fighter in the game so he can be hit pretty easily.

-Most of his attacks have long start up or end lag not count his specials.

-He's heavy so he's falls pretty fast.

-His projectiles have good range but aren't has strong has his normal attacks.

-Some what slow on the ground.

And for size this would be his size.

View attachment 45768

So yeah that's how I would balance him, if you want you join the Space Pirate's Luxurious Mansion, look for some named
"Ridley Prime" and ask for invention.

Trust me for Space Pirate's their really quite nice. :)
wrong type of proof

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
its how to commencing him of this part is what I'm talking about.

what you said above is balance but the break part is the iffy part

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

wrong type of proof

So what you want is a response to his quote of breaking the balance of the game i'm I right?

If so then I would say something like, "Well balance but nothing if fully and balanced but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try and see in what would make the character unbalanced and see a simple way of fixing that issue, remember nothing starts until you take action"

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Wait, are you actually interpreting that as Ridley will "break" the game, as in, crash it? Because Sakurai is talking about breaking the balance of the game, he's not saying that Ridley's very presence would cause the game to crash :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So what you want is a response to his quote of breaking the balance of the game i'm I right?

If so then I would say something like, "Well balance but nothing if fully and balanced but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try and see in what would make the character unbalanced and see a simple way of fixing that issue, remember nothing starts until you take action"
Wait, are you actually interpreting that as Ridley will "break" the game, as in, crash it? Because Sakurai is talking about breaking the balance of the game, he's not saying that Ridley's very presence would cause the game to crash :p
wait a minute he was talking about breaking the balance?

oh that's not a reason nothing is 100% balance and plus yes wolley it doesn't mean you can give it a shot.

that's really making me think then

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
This "Ridley will never happen" bull**** is seriously stupid. Yeah, except for a select few characters, almost anyone you vote is at a 5% TOPS chance of getting in. No random obscure characters are likely to get, and that doesn't mean jack ****. Vote for them anyway. Even if Sakurai seriously doesn't want Ridley despite a tsunami of votes, it could still provide influence for future Smash games. Seriously, this "Ridley is a waste of a vote" mindset is so, so stupid. Other than maybe Roy, K. Rool, Wolf, Snake, MAYBE Bayonetta and a few others, every character vote is a waste. The "Ridley vote is stupid" mindset is just being pushed by people who are worried that Ridley will be picked rather than the preferred character of the detractor. If you want Ridley VOTE FOR ****ING RIDLEY!

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
I like ridley but it just seems impossible to fit look at PM version, as a fan creation it look awesome but as a real high quality character it's pretty bad.

I would be grateful if we get a second rep even if its not ridley but seems that most of ridley fans would rather get nothing which is selfish in my opinion.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
I like ridley but it just seems impossible to fit look at PM version, as a fan creation it look awesome but as a real high quality character it's pretty bad.

I would be grateful if we get a second rep even if its not ridley but seems that most of ridley fans would rather get nothing which is selfish in my opinion.
Actually no, I want Ridley. And let's face it, Rundas probably isn't getting in anyway.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It's that I don't want one, it's that we won't get one.

Unless a new Metroid game is announced with a character other then Samus or Ridley playing a major role, then there is absolutely no point in adding in any other character, other then Ridley. It would be like adding in Rosalina before Bowser, or Zant before Ganondorf. They had the chance to add in another Metroid character in Brawl, but they chose a second version of Samus, because Metroid doesn't have any other important characters that could work as fighters.

I'd love to see Rundas, or Sylux, or Anthony, but until they get a bigger role in a future Metroid game, Ridley is more likely to get in then they are, and that is really saying something.

I like ridley but it just seems impossible to fit look at PM version, as a fan creation it look awesome but as a real high quality character it's pretty bad..
You must be looking at a different PM mod then, because that is one of the highest quality character mods I've ever seen.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I love Metroid, but like everyone else as said before me, if we're not getting Ridley, then I really don't want another Metroid rep just for the sake of expanding representation.

Sylux may be cool and all, but he's still just a glorified miniboss from a side-game. And Dark Samus is an Assist Trophy, so she has no hope of ever being playable DLC.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Imo its Ridley or no one for metroid
now if this was brawl days Dark Samus would be fine but imo she/it is old news...plus assist trophy..

Its gotta be Ridley.....its not even a Question
lets just hope we get K.Rool

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
It's that I don't want one, it's that we won't get one.
You must be looking at a different PM mod then, because that is one of the highest quality character mods I've ever seen.
I been looking the most recent videos of BaganSmashBros Ridley and he look really awkward and clunky and it's too big (yes I know this argument has been discused for years but in my opinion it's just too big) I believe this is the best ridley out there and its meh.

Weavel, he's a Space Pirate, who they use as a bounty hunter. Either Weavel, or I believe Sylux can be a potential metroid rep.
I believe those are the best shoot we had as a metroid rep still they are not so popular and the ridley popularity will just bury them into oblivion. Sadly this is a lose-lose condition.

PD: why people use eyeburn colors in his text? it there some option to disable it?.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I been looking the most recent videos of BaganSmashBros Ridley and he look really awkward and clunky and it's too big (yes I know this argument has been discused for years but in my opinion it's just too big) I believe this is the best ridley out there and its meh.
Ah, you're talking about the near perfect one. I won't fault you for your opinion, but regardless, it's just your opinion, and it's not one shared by the majority of the people who have used the mod.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
@ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees hit the nail on the head. When you get right down to it, Metroid doesn't have that many candidates to use for Smash as it's not a character-centric series. Its focus has always been on Samus, the Metroids and Ridley, with very few characters becoming recurring in the mythos. The closest we got outside of them is Dark Samus and Mother Brain, both of which (along with the Metroid) got put into an AT role. After them there's really no other standout characters, they're not important enough to stand on their own two feet and say they deserve to be playable, they're just there to fit a quota, which should not be what we look for. We should have a character that's a good choice in their own right, not a character that fills a spot for a franchise just because it needs it.

Last edited:

StubbyDK

Smash Journeyman
This thread is the definition of repetition, either rids is big or none at all over and over

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Nintendo asked what character fans want to play as. Not what character do you want that isn't already in the game as hazard or assist trophy. How are Skull kid and Takamaru fans supposed to feel? Are they just automatically cut?

Let em be like the Pac Man ghosts, an attack within a playable character, a stage hazard and an assist trophy.

If you want Ridley vote Ridley!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's what's going to happen regarding Metroid on this poll.

Ridley will get a lot of votes. It won't amount to anything.

No other Metroid character will get a substantial amount of votes. It won't amount to anything.

Possible exceptions are if a new Metroid gets announced at E3. Then there'd just be Metroid votes flying around all over the place.

I would love to have Ridley playable, but like most of us realize there's a slim to none chance of that happening right now.

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere: what if we got a different version of Samus? If she had a visually different powersuit (dark suit, PED suit, etc.) then she could have a different moveset that incorporates things like the ice or plasma beam, or any of her other abilities that aren't represented in her current Smash iteration. It would give a kind of new Metroid representative (although this would be even less likely than Ridley lol).

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Here's what's going to happen regarding Metroid on this poll.

Ridley will get a lot of votes. It won't amount to anything.

No other Metroid character will get a substantial amount of votes. It won't amount to anything.

Possible exceptions are if a new Metroid gets announced at E3. Then there'd just be Metroid votes flying around all over the place.
Inb4 a new Metroid is announced that has redesigned Ridley in a way that would work in Smash Bros.

This board would explode :rotfl:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I voted Ridley and then put in my description why I think he'd work.

If he wins by a significant amount, Sakurai will probably feel obligated to do it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I voted Ridley. He's the most logical choice, whether one single designer feels that way or not. No other metroicd character has the recurrence, the name recognition, or the importance of the Space Pirate overlord. Besides, just existing in the game is no reason someone can't be promoted later. Look at ToonLink being a stage feature, but then playeble. And 8-man smash shows that Ridley can be turned off (and honestly makes Pyrosphere playable...). I rool my eyes at everyone who says "Ridley can't get in, he's already in the game. Support Waluigi/Ghirahim/Midna!" (honestly, I'd be OK with any or all of them, but they're aslo already in the game, frankly in a bigger role...)

I just had a great idea for a trailer too. At Nintendo's E3, they talk about the new StarFox and ue that to segue into announcing Wolf as a playable character. Then they go on a bit about the new patch when all of a sudden, the power cuts out. While everyone is wondering what's going on, there's this screech over the speaker. Then everything slowly comes on, and nobody's sure what's happening. The presented gets a phone call telling him to look at the news, so they throw that up on the screen. A report about Nintendo's HQ in Japan is playing, where it's getting fireballed from above. The reported gets an interview with a secretary of Mr. Iwata's who says she got some video on a cell phone. They play it, and it has Iwata and Sakurai in the hallway before it caves in, and you just see a huge shadow in the dust. It spreads its wings...
Splash art! RIDLEY is out for Revenge!
Next shot: Playable Ridley on Wrecking crew KOs Sakurai and Iwata Miis.

That would be really funny. And epic. I want Ridley so bad now. My number one is in:4mewtwo:, so let's bring in number 2!

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Before the Ridley fans start shouting his name, He will never be in sm4sh as a character. Not only because the size thing, but also because he's already in it as a boss.
I don't see any merit for the "Ridley can't be in SSB4 because he's already in as a boss" excuse; aside from legal issues and arising technological restraints (and maybe Masahiro Sakurai's opinion regarding "representation", which still has the potential to change) - essentially nothing stops Ridley's potential playable appearance; plus there's no "rule" that says Ridley (or any character) cannot be present in a Super Smash Bros. game as a boss and as a playable character. We have Toon Link being present twice in Super Smash Bros. 4 (the playable form and the Spirit Tracks Spirit Train background element) and Donkey Kong present twice in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (the playable form and the 75m form - there's discrepancies on whether the "75m Donkey Kong" is actually Cranky Kong, but without getting specific, all one could casually glean is that there's a Donkey Kong you can play as and somehow another Donkey Kong in the background). And the developers even went out of their way to include 2 Ridleys in a "boss format" for Brawl when one Ridley would've easily sufficed - sure they probably saved some time in reusing the model, but they still used different attack patterns/animations for Ridley and Meta Ridley.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, if Ridley isn't included on the roster, no other Metroid character inclusions seem warranted at this point in time. Dark Samus maybe, but I'm honestly fine with her/it being relegated to an alternate costume for Varia Suit Samus. In any case, even deep-seeded opinions have the potential to change within a year. I still await the day for Ridley's inclusion in playable form within Super Smash Bros., in which he would have finally surpassed size arguments, "redundancy" arguments, and stubbornness. We have seemingly-redundant ports/remixes of "Jungle Level" (although not detracting from the awesomeness of the original song and the Brawl remixes), "3" 2 Marios, 2 Links, 2 Pits, 2 Battlefields, and, what, 10+ somewhat-similar Final Destination "costumes" (AND Mii costumes of Link and Megaman when the characters themselves are already in the game)? 2 Ridleys in Super Smash Bros. 4 hardly seems like a problem..

:laugh: Why do I feel like I'm going to be seeing "SKREEEEEEEEEEE" a lot more in the future on Smashboards?

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I very legitimately believe that Ridley would've been an excellent playable character, but I do not think this'll actually come to light in a long time.
The only possibility for Ridley in any future installment is if he's presented in the Metroid series in a way that could make him playable, say in a smaller size than he traditionally has been presented.
However, at this point I think it's more likely for a completely new and significant character to debut in the Metroid series and become playable. When I say this I don't mean a mysterious bounty hunting rival from the likes of Metroid Prime or one of Samus' infamous Galactic Federation comrades from Metroid: Other M. It would have to be someone who is reasonably more significant, like a companion character. Something like that.
But it is also for these reasons that I don't believe we'll see any Metroid character do well on the Ballot except for Ridley, who's votes are pointless at this point. We can only hope for a future Smash installment, perhaps after a few Metroid games have done well, where a new representative of the series joins Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Until then, I'm personally happy with those two.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
This thread convinced me to vote for Weevil today.

My reasons: Cool knightly look and unique backstory, a space pirate (the villains) who Samus messed up till he needed a new body. Which leads to my most important reason, the gameplay of being able to separate your smash character into two halves, one using the forward knife as you run around on your hands and the other acting as a turret just sounds fun.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The thing that makes me doubt Sakurai is truly against Ridley is the way he always tends to word himself in regards to having Ridley playable; it's never "No, it's not going to happen. He's too big to be playable.", he uses wording like "Maybe, but he might be a little slow. Would that be alright?", which makes me think that Sakurai would put Ridley in if he could decide on a good way to make him seem both accurate to his home franchise as well as not being broken for balance.

And considering Ridley is the direct antagonist to Samus, he has more iconic value than someone like Weevil or Sylux, who are minor in the scope of the Metroid franchise. If any Metroid newcomer has priority overall, it's Ridley. And if we do get a new game in the Metroid franchise announced before the next game/when DLC support ends, and that game features Ridley as the main antagonist, then Sakurai would have another reason to add him in; to promote the new game.

So personally, if any Metroid characters become DLC, it'd have to be Ridley; as he's the most important one besides Samus.

Last edited:

bcu999

Smash Rookie
What I think a lot of people fail to recognize on the Ridley front is that if Nintendo and Sora really wanted a cash grab, They have a Ridley model that's rigged, textured, has it's hitboxes setup and even has a few animations they could recycle. Him being in the game could help his chances contrary to popular belief.

They would have to do work to reanimate a decent amount and shrink him and pieces of him a bit. Maybe re-scaling the boss model could make him look a bit silly, but honestly having something is a lot easier than working from scratch. There is a reason why unplayable bosses in fighting games tend to end up playable.

Not to mention DLC is a new frontier, and who knows how they feel about and handle characters post release, especially because each individual character is going to have to sell itself the way they're packaging it and I'd imagine the marketing guys at Nintendo have a lot more pull here because of it. Heck, Ridley is a big name, maybe this was the plan from the start.

Now I'm not saying this is a perfect scenario for him and the logic of recycling could be applied to many of the assists too (dark Samus comes to mind and is on topic) but the overall "Ridley is definitely out" vibe going on throughout this board and others and the sentiment of a vote for Ridley is a vote wasted is oversimplifying the situation I feel. Sakurai has changed his mind before and he's been misleading in the past. I just think we have a ways to go before Ridley is definitely out is an acceptable answer.

Also, while I'm actually posting for once, I miss the Ridley thread. It was the best place to lurk.

Top Bottom