• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Like a said sometime, English is not my tea so yeah. Also, very good review, you pretty much say everything and i am OK with you said. Also, Paper Mario Wii U rumor!? Please be not a fake...
edit: miss the good message, i am on Wii u does that count?
I think you want to pm me because I really am trying to get what you mean.

What good message and what counts what?

Like, you can pm me in French, it's private and we will both understand each other :)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I dit it! I vote for him! Aldelaro5 you see this? I vote for him! My post was at the limit of the post! I believe in him!
WE BELIEVE IN YOU MARIO!

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
*sigh* People rate Paper Mario, and see him as a 3rd Mario. However, when rating Midna and Wolf Link, they hardly mention a 3rd Link. Why? Is it a "Mario vs. Zelda" thing? Look, I like the Zelda series and all, but this kind of bias... it just hurts.
Lot's of people have bias against the Mario franchise in Smash. A lot of people complained about the Mario cast in Smash 4 yet no one said a thing about Brawl which had 4 Mario reps compared Zelda (5 reps) and Pokemon (6 reps).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Lot's of people have bias against the Mario franchise in Smash. A lot of people complained about the Mario cast in Smash 4 yet no one said a thing about Brawl which had 4 Mario reps compared Zelda (5 reps) and Pokemon (6 reps).
it's actually worse than this.

Cause I saw a lot of people that got over it.

What I'm extremely disappointed is people don't seem to get that no matter how mario he is, his subset is just an addition. Pretty much most people on rtc (which a lot of them surprised me) see him as redundancy....justified by broken logics.

You get why I kinda don't want to go speculate except here.....Paper Mario is just by far the most underrated character that actually has a substantial chance.

Last edited:

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
I haven't been here for awhile. :/

Anyways I've heard about the new paper mario rumors, I'm so excited! Just curious what are you guys hoping for in a new game? I personally want a return to formula, 64 and TTYD were my all-time favorite games in the series. Hopefully we'll get confirmation at e3, I can't wait!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I haven't been here for awhile. :/

Anyways I've heard about the new paper mario rumors, I'm so excited! Just curious what are you guys hoping for in a new game? I personally want a return to formula, 64 and TTYD were my all-time favorite games in the series. Hopefully we'll get confirmation at e3, I can't wait!
Now, yesterday.....I got an article that made me worried and it said that every WiiU games announced will release before April 2016.....This implies that if we get the announcement next month that it's approaching end of dev which I don't think makes sense making me think if we are really getting an announcement in the first place......

So, I'm torn now, but I'll still be worried if it doesn't happen this E3.

EDIT: the article is here http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...u_titles_which_will_launch_before_april_2016n I missinterpreted the articles because it only applies to some games, not all of them.....sorry :)

As for the back to root, I don't care how they do it, I just want they do it. Seriously, the series needs it and I think they get the demand enough to realistically expect it.

Now, because I realised we litterally have nothing to talk about except this for a month, I guess we should go deeper because we can bring lots of stuff and dream together :)

If back to root, what would you guys love as new partner?

It just can be anything. My favorite are a Pirhana plant, a penguin and of course, a chain chomp :)

What would you love to see as partners?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Now, yesterday.....I got an article that made me worried and it said that every WiiU games announced will release before April 2016.....This implies that if we get the announcement next month that it's approaching end of dev which I don't think makes sense making me think if we are really getting an announcement in the first place......

So, I'm torn now, but I'll still be worried if it doesn't happen this E3.

As for the back to root, I don't care how they do it, I just want they do it. Seriously, the series needs it and I think they get the demand enough to realistically expect it.

Now, because I realised we litterally have nothing to talk about except this for a month, I guess we should go deeper because we can bring lots of stuff and dream together :)

If back to root, what would you guys love as new partner?

It just can be anything. My favorite are a Pirhana plant, a penguin and of course, a chain chomp :)

What would you love to see as partners?
A Wiggler, Toad and Monty Mole are my picks.

Ooh wait I got more:
Molly Mole is a female, aggresive builder that has a bad temper
Willow Wiggler is a nature-loving art hippie.
Ross T. is a Toad trapped in his job that wants to go on adventure.

I know, boring DeviantArt OC's Donut Steel but that's all I got.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I would like to see a Shy Guy and a Chomp partner (after all, a Chomp partner was in SS in some point.). But i don't know how this two will work. Also, little of discussion here but i found in searching some fanart of Fawful and Dimentio some Comic with the character of SPM answerd some weird and fun question with hilarious result. Here some exemple:
Edit: Man, i'm drunk i'm think... FAWFUL! You understand that my brain? huh?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok, this thread was on 4th page which is actually kinda rare so let me fix this before everyone forget he exists.

First....

_-Super-Paper-Mario-GameCube-original_.png

VERY sorry to have let the thread go down like this :( Please understand that my semester was at its peak so I couldn't feel much motivated to do it cause I just act like this, I must finish what I started, but this thread could have waited for a revive.....again, I'm very sorry, but it was necessary.

Which leads me to my next thing, don't expect this anymore, my semester ended, I'm free again :)

So, what happened since then?

I once went online for checking Paper Mario moveset and I realised there was much more than I thought. I saw really neat ideas one of them might interest you despite being from SS:

Having the shiny texture on him as one of his alt.

Admit that it'll be awesome right?

:)

I also saw quite neat ideas that I can't remember, but what I realised is that most didn't used the potential fully....

Anyway, other stuff are I got a bit more active on tumblr, it's of course harder to get stuff because i was so inactive for so long. Reddit, I really didn't started and I should.

As for current discussion, what would be your best Assist trophy idea? i just want to hear ideas because honestly, I think there's so we might have missed :)

Last thing for those in Europe, pm64 released on your VC yesterday so, you should buy it because that game worth so much the money, it's a masterpiece :)

With that, HAPPY REVIVE!!!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
ok, this thread was on 4th page which is actually kinda rare so let me fix this before everyone forget he exists.

First....

View attachment 52986

VERY sorry to have let the thread go down like this :( Please understand that my semester was at its peak so I couldn't feel much motivated to do it cause I just act like this, I must finish what I started, but this thread could have waited for a revive.....again, I'm very sorry, but it was necessary.

Which leads me to my next thing, don't expect this anymore, my semester ended, I'm free again :)

So, what happened since then?

I once went online for checking Paper Mario moveset and I realised there was much more than I thought. I saw really neat ideas one of them might interest you despite being from SS:

Having the shiny texture on him as one of his alt.

Admit that it'll be awesome right?

I also saw quite neat ideas that I can't remember, but what I realised is that most didn't used the potential fully....

Anyway, other stuff are I got a bit more active on tumblr, it's of course harder to get stuff because i was so inactive for so long. Reddit, I really didn't started and I should.

As for current discussion, what would be your best Assist trophy idea? i just want to hear ideas because honestly, I think there's so we might have missed :)

Last thing for those in Europe, pm64 released on your VC yesterday so, you should buy it because that game worth so much the money, it's a masterpiece :)

With that, HAPPY REVIVE!!!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:
Yeah! The thread is return baby!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
....ok I know this thread isn't much active, but as time passes, I get new ideas and thinking....so, might as well just share them to bring some topics to talk about :)

First, just saying that I added a new moveset in the OP by @Is SG9000 a unicorn? (I hope it is like geez, it's in the username.....). This moveset mostly reflects his playstyle by the uses of cutoms....which I find sadly unlikely, but the overall set is him making silly stuff to his enemy as well as being versatile and mobile....which is actually

Btw, this was posted in his thread here, you might want to check and/or request a set. It;s meaningless to say that I'm the one who requested it.....hope you;re not shocked :)

Also, well.....I can;t do much on reddit, sorry, but their rules forbid me to go support in it. I at least hope he stays popular there.....

As for tumblr....it's slowly progressing, it's still active however.....

Now, here's a thought I got that may explain why he doesn't neccessarilly have vocal support, but is seemingly quite populars in polls: in reality, if you don't talk about smash, Paper Mario actually doesn't exist!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

no, calm down, your support is still well justified, and it's not the first time this happened.

See, let's take G&W, anyone can agree, he never existed anywhere, but in smash. This is because if you would take his "series" (he doesn't have have one, it's just a subset abstracted), well, how the heck could you rep it? There;s not really a recurring character.....it's just generic like stickman or something.

The G&W character is just a neat way to compromise this. Sure, it does require more effort, but for such an addition, most would agree that it was worth it. The point is, he ONLY exists in smash as a separate entity in the roster.

You could do the same thing with rob, yes, he did appeared in soem games as cameo, but the ROBOT rob and his ability (aka, the actual rob) never existed in a video game, it's a character based on real toys and the Sakurai rule is fine because in the end, rob was made because of video games.

But it gets a bit more tricky when you consider toon link. let's be honest, Toon link doesn't exist int he xelda series, it's jsut link, nothign even refers to him as toon link. In smash however, he DOES exist as NOT link....which is where it gets confusing but consistent. The way both character works is not the same....smash actually views them as complete separate entity, I mean, it;s like toon link wasn't link and link wasn't toon link in smash. Even the trophies, there's distinction between characters that would have been the exact same character outside of smash, but are considered separate in smash. Which leads me to my point.....

Paper Mario is THE EXACT same thing. Nothing ever in his game refers him as ANOTHER mario, it's like he was mario in the first place. In smash however, the name "paper" differentiate him, but it's the same way that wedding bowser is. Essentially, the word "paper" or "wedding" in these are NOT part of the name, they are just adjective that adds to the name to tell that they are not the same entity even though outside of smash, they are the same.

Meaning that when you and me root for him to be playable, we actually root for something that doesn't exist.....until it does. It's weird, it's like he will never be "PAPER mario" until he's actually playable. We wish to have the hypothetical situation that he would be "characterized" in smash so that it could be considered as a separate entity of mario. Smash will view them as they are both not related because of the roster.

THIS, is why 2 things happens:
  • This is why we are getting the another mario argument. It's not wrong, he IS another mario before him being in smash, the problemis this assumes IF HE WAS IN SMASH, which in turns implies that he's not really mario in smash anymore thus, invalidating the logic a bit. This is why that in the end, being mario dosn;t matter, that's mostly forgetting how much different he actually is in practice btw.
  • The lack of vocal support. Think about it, how can he get vocal support if he roughly doesn't exist in his own series? I could get like KKR, and he already has its own entity in his series, there's no hypothetical situation required, it would just be him abstracted in smash, Paper Mario, you actually have to abstract the character.....then abstract that character, it is harder to spot naturally and therefore, can not be known by much.
This is why I see mostly scattered and silent support, I am willing to change it, but considering what i said above, it's far from easy. This is why guys that i don;t think quantity will matter THAT much for him in the ballot.....if you intend to vote for him, what I think will matter the msot is the reasons box, as @PushDustIn said a bit ago, trying to inspire Sakurai helps more than anything so you might as well do that....and please don't double vote for him, I appreciate that you support, but just don';t make the job harder than it already is.....

With that in mind, I'm still looking forward to E3, I hope a new game announcement will bring more activity here, but guys, I'm more worried about his series than his role in smash....and I think you should be too.....

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Whoa! I didn't expect the thread to be a bit inactive. I can understand. I've had a long road of stupid tests and catching up on work. :)
D'oh. I wasn't able to meet my "end of the month" deadline for that support video. I'm sorry! Luckily, my school career project is finally reaching its end. There were so many things I had to get done! I'm even nearing completion of learning the Character Ability theme from TTYD, in case anyone questions my piano skills during my presentation. :p
Anyway, now that Summer is near, and work is pretty much being finished, there's no reason why the support video shouldn't be uploaded by this week. I can also go back to being active on Internet forums and whatnot again, which is exciting. :colorful:
Besides that, I completely forgot E3 is just around the corner. Oddly enough, I'm pretty confident a new game will be revealed. I don't even understand why I feel that way. It just seems like the right time to do it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Whoa! I didn't expect the thread to be a bit inactive. I can understand. I've had a long road of stupid tests and catching up on work. :)
D'oh. I wasn't able to meet my "end of the month" deadline for that support video. I'm sorry! Luckily, my school career project is finally reaching its end. There were so many things I had to get done! I'm even nearing completion of learning the Character Ability theme from TTYD, in case anyone questions my piano skills during my presentation. :p
Anyway, now that Summer is near, and work is pretty much being finished, there's no reason why the support video shouldn't be uploaded by this week. I can also go back to being active on Internet forums and whatnot again, which is exciting. :colorful:
Besides that, I completely forgot E3 is just around the corner. Oddly enough, I'm pretty confident a new game will be revealed. I don't even understand why I feel that way. It just seems like the right time to do it.
oh, well, I guessed you missed most of my speculation lately so here we go:

Normally, I would say that I'm not really ok to have my feeling decide and take facts, but the problem is you're actually right!

If you check the release cycle of the series, it says 2001 (1999 in Japan), 2004, 2008 (I think 2007 in Japan) and 2012. If you notice, the sticker star gap is a bit longer due to the silent delay cause by the project shift. Basically, it takes normally 4 years of dev to do have a Paper Mario game, normally. The announcement is like done a bit before that, sometime a year before.

This is why this E3 is really likely to have Paper Mario announced. Because that's not the only evidence, add James leak and I guess you could add the recent IS who claimed it leak on a booth. It would just fit with everything and that;s why you might have felt it because the release cycle does points towards it.

And FINALLY, dude, at this point, I really am having trouble, I can't use reddit and only tumblr and here.....well, I have more problems so.....also, i tought it was because of college, but this shouldn't be the case. If it was, all the threads should be more inactive, but it's more specifically to this one, I mean, the ray thread is still kinda active and I know the OP of it is really motivated, but so am I.

So, at this point, anything will help, apparently, @ SpaceJell0 SpaceJell0 tweeted to smashify Paper Mario and idk what it means, but he favorited the tweet. To help, I sent a youtube pm, but we'll see how it goes.

What I know is we really need more support now, this is E3, might as well get worried or get hype together :)

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999

Found this awesome Ultimate Show/ Shadow Queen Mashup Remix by the same guy who made the music to K. Rool Smashified! Although a bit crowded near the beginning imo, Sounds awesome!

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
oh, well, I guessed you missed most of my speculation lately so here we go:

Normally, I would say that I'm not really ok to have my feeling decide and take facts, but the problem is you're actually right!

If you check the release cycle of the series, it says 2001 (1999 in Japan), 2004, 2008 (I think 2007 in Japan) and 2012. If you notice, the sticker star gap is a bit longer due to the silent delay cause by the project shift. Basically, it takes normally 4 years of dev to do have a Paper Mario game, normally. The announcement is like done a bit before that, sometime a year before.

This is why this E3 is really likely to have Paper Mario announced. Because that's not the only evidence, add James leak and I guess you could add the recent IS who claimed it leak on a booth. It would just fit with everything and that;s why you might have felt it because the release cycle does points towards it.
Ah! Suddenly I feel more confident than I already was. :b:

And FINALLY, dude, at this point, I really am having trouble, I can't use reddit and only tumblr and here.....well, I have more problems so.....also, i tought it was because of college, but this shouldn't be the case. If it was, all the threads should be more inactive, but it's more specifically to this one, I mean, the ray thread is still kinda active and I know the OP of it is really motivated, but so am I.

So, at this point, anything will help, apparently, @ SpaceJell0 SpaceJell0 tweeted to smashify Paper Mario and idk what it means, but he favorited the tweet. To help, I sent a youtube pm, but we'll see how it goes.

What I know is we really need more support now, this is E3, might as well get worried or get hype together :)
Really? That's strange. We should probably just start another discussion or something.
Wow, it'd help a bunch if that ever happened! Although the thread seems a bit slow, things seem to be going by normally. E3 isn't too far from now. I've been a pretty skeptical person after seeing a bunch of "leaks", but it doesn't hurt to get excited every now and then. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ah! Suddenly I feel more confident than I already was. :b:

Really? That's strange. We should probably just start another discussion or something.
Wow, it'd help a bunch if that ever happened! Although the thread seems a bit slow, things seem to be going by normally. E3 isn't too far from now. I've been a pretty skeptical person after seeing a bunch of "leaks", but it doesn't hurt to get excited every now and then. :)
I saw the issac thread last week get near to the second page which is very unusual and points towards just down time for all threads (it's just that this one isn't helped much by these).

At any case, this should bring some topics:

Thanks to @ FalconSoup FalconSoup , I really like that video and also, I think most supporters should watch it because it reflects his situation nicely as well as bringing
ideas :)

I will add this video to the OP to a place everyone can see it as I think it's a great TL;DR of the counterarguments as well as giving an idea why we claim he's that different in practice :)

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I saw the issac thread last week get near to the second page which is very unusual and points towards just down time for all threads (it's just that this one isn't helped much by these).

At any case, this should bring some topics:

Thanks to @ FalconSoup FalconSoup , I really like that video and also, I think most supporters should watch it because it reflects his situation nicely as well as bringing
ideas :)

I will add this video to the OP to a place everyone can see it as I think it's a great TL;DR of the counterarguments as well as giving an idea why we claim he's that different in practice :)
Yikes! When I got here, this thread was on the third page. I hope the thread starts being a bit more active during Nintendo's E3 stuff.
Very welcome! I'm surprised it didn't turn out bad with that icky voice of mine. :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
OK, so, the smash direct will happen tomorrow (as well as the world championship, there's speedrunners that I know so will be very fun), but why I post there is to do the same thing I did last year: last hopes before digital event.

Last year, it was quite soft, we had no repping so we hoped to have something and not get deconfirmed. It wouldn't matter much if it happened because the game repping was crazy, not to mention it would have been too early for a game announcement.

But this E3.....it;s more complicated.

Basically, I won;t redo my reasoning again, but one thing is sure: it is likely that we get a game announcement. That has been lead to by many evidences and even credible leaks. But my problem is nothing guarantees it and knowing how the games were revealed before, it';s basically now or we get really worried because then we would have no idea if the series is still in good shape or not. This E3 is really the time, people are getting quite tired to see SS the latest game.

I just really hope they have fixed their communications issues, and most importantly, I REALLY hope I can continue to enjoy new stuff in this series today.

So, for now, what I would say is we should hope for a game to happen before smash at this point. It now doesn't matter as much as his series, a lot of people don;t even want him in smash because of SS.

I just feel like I want a new game, seriously, despite my love for spm, I jsut miss quirk partners and badges, I really do as well as the retro style music, this series state gets me worried everytime.

So, I think on this note, we should all...

Believe in Paper Mario

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
So um, MARIO & LUIGI PAPER JAM!

(probably the only remotely exciting thing about Nintendo's e3 besides Star Fox tbh)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Now no one, and I mean no one, can argue Paper Mario is the same character as Mario, this is great for us!

If they were the same, they wouldn't be standing right next to each other, wouldn't they?

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is great for Paper Mario. It clearly shows that Mario and Paper Mario are two entirely different entities. It also gives Paper Mario some relevance, and hopefully this game won't be garbage like the last two.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
First, this is my opinion on it, TL;DR NOT HYPE AT ALL!

http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...t-hype-edition.397024/page-1234#post-19434390

Now, let me quote everyone.

So um, MARIO & LUIGI PAPER JAM!

(probably the only remotely exciting thing about Nintendo's e3 besides Star Fox tbh)
good for you, not hype at all for me....

Now no one, and I mean no one, can argue Paper Mario is the same character as Mario, this is great for us!

If they were the same, they wouldn't be standing right next to each other, wouldn't they?
see this is honestly the great thing about it becasue it does help support for ssb4, I never thought they would actually try to do this. This can help GREATLY in a way because now, Paper Mario and I might even say his world is now considered to be a complete separate entity. It would means that it;s actually not mario, but his own character of paper mario. This does give him a sense for the ballot and for wanting him.

Now here's the actuall problem, because my worries of the series are still there, it would feel very weird. it;s going good for supporting him, but his series is really starting to need a game. Which is why it's kinda of a mix of good and bad.

But I definetely agree, it at least help us more, but not as much as having a paper mario game.

Yeah, this is great for Paper Mario. It clearly shows that Mario and Paper Mario are two entirely different entities. It also gives Paper Mario some relevance, and hopefully this game won't be garbage like the last two.
basically this, and do NOT THINK IT IS A PAPER MARIO GAME, it;s clearly not so, don;t consider it in the series.....the trailer clearly showed that and rememebr the James leak still exists for WiiU.

Nice, really didn't expect this. :L
Will definitely buy.
I likely won't however.

So, it basically sums it up, I will say it;s more a disappointement than anything, but it';s jsut not a paper mario game, that's for sure.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I know it's not a true Paper Mario game. But at least it's not being marketed as a true Paper Mario game *coughSPMcough* It looks like a fun crossover

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, I know it's not a true Paper Mario game. But at least it's not being market as a true Paper Mario game *coughSPMcough* It looks like a fun crossover
ok, I want to post to say this because tbh, I really don;t get this.

spm is as paper mario as TTYD and pm64 (sticker star....not really).

There is so much that was kept from the series, it;s just not soemthing that is deniable,. The ONLY thing that changed is how the series was implemented, NOT the dependencies and again, it has rpg parts, that was actually enough to make the dependencies ont he series works, unlike SS.

Seriously, I am kinda ashamed to have people not even consider spm paper mario, it is paper mario, if you don;t like the implementation, fine, but it is still paper mario.

I never got the spm hate tbh....SS, I got it perfectly.

I don't like seeing you disappointed. :<
I did said many times I would be however.....

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Even as a Mario game, I thought SPM was horrible, and was not fun in any way. I don't understand how people can like it, you don't understand how people don't like it, let's leave it at that and just love Paper Mario as a character that should get in Smash.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Even as a Mario game, I thought SPM was horrible, and was not fun in any way. I don't understand how people can like it, you don't understand how people don't like it, let's leave it at that and just love Paper Mario as a character that should get in Smash.
I see what you're saying. I enjoyed the first two, and one thing that I really enjoyed about it was the battle system which tied in with so many different things(badges, curses, etc...) And while SPM offers new interesting ideas, I enjoyed the series because of the unique RPG element that it brought.

At the end of the day, I really enjoyed SPM and I think it's a really good game. I want to see a Paper Mario game go back to the traditional gameplay and just build off of that. Which is what I was hoping to see at E3. That didn't happen. However, I'm loving the look of the new Mario & Luigi game and I'm excited to see Paper Mario appear in other titles outside of his own. Day one buy, take my money.

TL;DR: I can see why people hate SPM and I can see why people like SPM.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157

SPM is still a good game. Everyone has different opinion on it. Sure it may not be as great as the first two Paper Mario game but it's still way more better than SS. The reason why I liked SPM is because it still had a unique storyline, some good dialogue, a few unique NPC, also playing as Peach, Bowser and Luigi was also really fun. The soundtrack is also pretty cool as well.

The only disappointing things about the game was it was a platformer style instead of the RPG turn based battle, there weren't that many interesting NPC, the pixel partners weren't unique or even interesting, they were just there. Oh and the game was just way too easy, I've beaten SPM like over 7 times. The first two Paper Mario games were at least challenging and that's what I want a challenge.

Now as for the upcoming Paper Jam, it's still to early to judge. Unlike some people. I would rather wait till they reveal more about it later on. I just care if it will have a storyline, good dialogue, interesting NPC and a good RPG turn based battle and be challenging as well. Unlike some people I'm not going to judge the game yet until we hear more about it later on.

Now IMO this upcoming game is not really a true M&L and Paper Mario game it seems more like a crossover special. I'm still hoping for a Paper Mario for Wii U or at least for the next nintendo console.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
SPM is still a good game. Everyone has different opinion on it. Sure it may not be as great as the first two Paper Mario game but it's still way more better than SS. The reason why I liked SPM is because it still had a unique storyline, some good dialogue, a few unique NPC, also playing as Peach, Bowser and Luigi was also really fun. The soundtrack is also pretty cool as well.

The only disappointing things about the game was it was a platformer style instead of the RPG turn based battle, there weren't that many interesting NPC, the pixel partners weren't unique or even interesting, they were just there. Oh and the game was just way too easy, I've beaten SPM like over 7 times. The first two Paper Mario games were at least challenging and that's what I want a challenge.

Now as for the upcoming Paper Jam, it's still to early to judge. Unlike some people. I would rather wait till they reveal more about it later on. I just care if it will have a storyline, good dialogue, interesting NPC and a good RPG turn based battle and be challenging as well. Unlike some people I'm not going to judge the game yet until we hear more about it later on.

Now IMO this upcoming game is not really a true M&L and Paper Mario game it seems more like a crossover special. I'm still hoping for a Paper Mario for Wii U or at least for the next nintendo console.
I can tell you, the trailer showed that it has M&L as the core gameplay.

Which I tried and disliked it.

That justify me not buying it, but I will only check the stuff after release.

like, it;s just M&L at the core, if it was paper mario at the core, I would care a lot more.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
SPM's lack of RPG would be okay IMO if it weren't for the fact that 90% of the characters are basically just scribbly garbage that we've never seen before. I am down for original characters but I'd rather they be from current Mario races

Also, only a couple of the original characters from SPM are even memorable. O'Chunks and Dementio for sure but otherwise... None of the Pixl companions were exciting, especially compared to the companions in TTYD and PM64

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is anyone else just happy that Nintendo acknowledged Paper Mario's existence? I was getting quite worried after Sticker Star, that they would just permanently drop him. This at least gives me hope that we can get a Paper Mario U or NX game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Is anyone else just happy that Nintendo acknowledged Paper Mario's existence? I was getting quite worried after Sticker Star, that they would just permanently drop him. This at least gives me hope that we can get a Paper Mario U or NX game.
it does, and the best thing is it completely changes the support on ssb4.

That is the good thing that came out of it, nto the game itself for me.

Whcih is ironic, but the same happened with robin so lol :)

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but I absolutely hated everything about SPM. The art, the dialogue, the everything. I am never going to understand why people like it, believe me many people have tried to tell me.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
SPM's lack of RPG would be okay IMO if it weren't for the fact that 90% of the characters are basically just scribbly garbage that we've never seen before. I am down for original characters but I'd rather they be from current Mario races

Also, only a couple of the original characters from SPM are even memorable. O'Chunks and Dementio for sure but otherwise... None of the Pixl companions were exciting, especially compared to the companions in TTYD and PM64
I agree. Half of the NPC's looked like a two year old drew them. And I agree with your second statement as well.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I can tell you, the trailer showed that it has M&L as the core gameplay.

Which I tried and disliked it.

That justify me not buying it, but I will only check the stuff after release.

like, it;s just M&L at the core, if it was paper mario at the core, I would care a lot more.

Like I said again it's still too early to judge. That was just a preview the game isn't even being released till like next year. I would rather wait till they talk more about the game later on. I'm pretty sure it will have some Paper Mario gameplay as well not judge M&L.
And no offense but unlike you and a few other people I'm not going to judge on a preview video, I would rather wait till they talk more about the game then I'll judge it.

Also from what I've heard intelligent systems will be helping developing the game.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
it does, and the best thing is it completely changes the support on ssb4.

That is the good thing that came out of it, nto the game itself for me.

Whcih is ironic, but the same happened with robin so lol :)
You talking **** about Fire Emblem Awakening AKA best game I've ever played? Them's fighting words friend

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here's some official art, regardless of how we all may feel on the new game so far, can we all agree the art direction is amazing?

these two look made to fight eachother, I doubt it but hopefully Crump is coming back?

I'd be hype if X-Nauts make a return, but I doubt they will.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hopefully original characters make a return. Which is another reason I liked Paper Mario.

I think Paper Luigi will definitely be in the game. Playable or not. Seeing Luigi see his Paper counterpart will be hilarious I assure you. :chuckle:

Top Bottom