• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
guys, i will explain later my full analyssy on the trailer, I jsut rewatched it and one hing is 100% clear, this is an M& game which features paper mario, not the opposite.

this is clear in multiples ways, whic explains why i won;t buy it, but I need to gather my thoughts because this game actually is VERY good for the series state despite not being from the series.....need to talk about it later.

You talking **** about Fire Emblem Awakening AKA best game I've ever played? Them's fighting words friend
.....no

robin was announced in ssb4 when there was a very annyoing leak that basically destroyed msot support threads including this one. His annoucnement broke that leak which is the ONLY reason I cared, I don;t even care for the announcement itself.

Same thing here, I don;t care much about the game itself, but what the game implies, I care severly.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
While it wasn't some kind of Wii U Paper Mario game I was hoping for, this will do. The Mario & Luigi games are pretty awesome, so having Paper Mario in one should make for an awesome crossover! I would have never seen this coming (or thought of it, for one). I doubt it won't be a great game (hopefully better than Dream Team). While the Digital Event was arguably underwhelming, this reveal made me pretty happy.
Here's game-play footage.

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
guys, i will explain later my full analyssy on the trailer, I jsut rewatched it and one hing is 100% clear, this is an M& game which features paper mario, not the opposite.

this is clear in multiples ways, whic explains why i won;t buy it, but I need to gather my thoughts because this game actually is VERY good for the series state despite not being from the series.....need to talk about it later.

.....no

robin was announced in ssb4 when there was a very annyoing leak that basically destroyed msot support threads including this one. His annoucnement broke that leak which is the ONLY reason I cared, I don;t even care for the announcement itself.

Same thing here, I don;t care much about the game itself, but what the game implies, I care severly.
I see your still trying to judge based on the preview. >_> kinda stupid if you ask me. You should be happy that Nintendo still thinks of Paper Mario at all.

This upcoming game is suppose to be a crossover not just M&L with Paper Mario added in it. I would rather hear some analysis about the game when I hear more about it later on, not just based on the preview of the game.

I'm pretty sure they're going to make the next real Paper Mario game for the next console if not for the wii u....I hope.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I see your still trying to judge based on the preview. >_> kinda stupid if you ask me. You should be happy that Nintendo still thinks of Paper Mario at all.

This upcoming game is suppose to be a crossover not just M&L with Paper Mario added in it. I would rather hear some analysis about the game when I hear more about it later on, not just based on the preview of the game.

I'm pretty sure they're going to make the next real Paper Mario game for the next console if not for the wii u....I hope.
Actually, my thing does have to do with and and btw, I did saw every footage and now, i think it changed, I am UNSURE if I get the game....there might have stuff that overshadows what i don't like about M&L.

Sorry that I tease you liek this, But I feel I shoudl wait a bit before thinking, one thing though, it is something that helps the series a lot, can;t deny it.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
I would have rather had a TTYD styled game, HOWEVER I love the M&L series, and I was close to tears seeing two of my childhood favorites collide like this. Just wondering what this means for his smash chances...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
it;s time, the tree house ended for today and I got some time to relax and I checked everything we know so far. This post will tend to be exhaustive, but please note: it likely might get outdated rather quickly so, I will only post additional info, this is what was shown, heard or accesible today.

First, we got the digital event with the trailer, right after the event, we got some screenshots and a summary on their E3 website:

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/3ds/mario-and-luigi-paper-jam/

After, the tree house did footage of it (this link contain the right time)

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/v/6240441?t=3h47m59s

And finally, gamexplain did 2 video footage of screen with direct audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbIN49uoDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMkPZj_suc&feature=youtu.be&a

This is every documents we have on the game, nothing more.

Now, let;s get to the summary.

the game is clearly advertised to be M&L, as stated in one of the feature of the summary:
  • Characters from the Paper Mario universe – including Paper Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser and Toad – jump out of a book and into the world of Mario & Luigi, resulting in hilarious and dangerous hijinks, trademarks of the Mario & Luigifranchise.
and there;s a plenty of other evidences, but this one shows it's a fact.

As for the book, we see it looks like the sticker star book, yeah there is some sticker star elements, but don't fret, these are good parts of sticker star :) We know luigi kinda fall over the book as said int he treehouse, basically, we don;t know much. We don;t even know the main vilain but I will bet you it is NOT bowser because with the trailer scene.....it would feel weird. (inb4 shadow queen, lol)

We don;t know much of the dialogues, i cannot tell if the humor style is more m&L than PM (they are vastly different).

So, now that the summary is done, the game is said as action rpg (and it is accurate) as well as the release date being Spring 2016 meaning what we saw is quite far in dev.

now, let';s get tot he actually game.

The tittle screen is the trio and notice already paper mario do its thumbs up, yay!

a quick not on the tittle, I learned that paper jam is actually the thing when you get a paper stuck from a printer. Upon learning that, I felt the name was extremely clever because it;s the paper that jammed into m&L.....brilliant.

Now, the world are clearly M&L style, so is the music. now, tbh, I dont; like both style compared to paper mario, but let me continue (there;s other stuff that I love about the game).

The animation depends, if Paper Mario, you get paper mario and if M&L, you get M&L. this lead me to check the paper mario animations and FINALLY THINKING IN BATTLES IS BACK!!!!!!

The paper mode animation is just not fluid, I hoped to see a twist.....I would forgive if 3ds limitations, but at least that and the paper plane from TTYD are back (and folding over....this is ambiguous though). So, I won;t complain much, you have stuff from TTYD so YAY!!!! The hammer is the wooden one (good to see you back.....i love this hammer design a lot) and he uses a very huge ultra hammer that looks paper mario 3d style to have the special attacks. These attacks are actually good, it's the enemy is paperised no matter if paper mario or M&L (you have both kind of enemies, more on this later), and you try to to slap a bomb with tennis stuff. The trick is you have to aim it on the papers and you have to press the button of the character (mario is a, luigi is b and paper mario is y). this sounds very hard in a good way, these might be the best action commands ever because paper mario also has neat stuff.

At the cost of his turn, you can have copies sticked to you. For those of you who played SS, it';s like the 72 boss sticked together, except you have around 6 copies I think. the enemies in paper however has that ability as well which leads to weird paper attacks that honestly, might be a contribution tot he paper mario series as the paper part of the enemies was too weird in SS and not much shown in other games, this one seems to do it right. The copies makes the action commands way harder, but you can deal more damages. Overall, I love it :)

other things to note of him in battle, you can block and he has the classic duck and cover animation again, YAY!!!!! one cool thing though, I saw a dual fire flower attack with M&L, paper mario was actually cheering behind them, a quirky addition. In battle, he has the famous angry pose when in defense, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES FINALLY HE HAS IT IN BATTLE!!!!!! The other things are classic, he has tripping when you actually trip (watch the treehouse footage, you'll get what I'm saying) and the on one foot animation like before the plant boss. You can attack either M&L or paper enemies with any characters, it doesn't matter. Finally, for some reasons, paper mario can fluffer, you read that right, fluffer....I don;t get why, but I'll just say it's cool :) btw, his pose are back like the stylish poses, you have them integrated with stuff like action commands or winning a battle (this is the first game that has him NOT do the thumbs up when winning, but don;t worry it appears often enough in battle).

if I don;t bring m&L gameplay, it's because it's what you would expect from dream team (i even played the demo and some parts were really similar). One thing I noticed is that you could just use paper mario a lot and don't use M&L a lot, this is why I am saying that I mind find a way to like the game anyway.

Last battle mechanics are the cards and you willl notice that they have the shiny SS textures, a nice touch. These cards appear after one turn is complete and you have a limited amount of cards displayed on the bottom screen and you can only have 3 cards at the time. My theory is that you gain cards int he overworld or by a shop or something. As for the unexplained button on the lower screen, i think it's a shuffle cards button, leave that to your speculation.

Speaking of gameplay, overworld, well one thing that bothers me a lot is it already was annoying for me to press 2 buttons to jump.....you now need to press 3 buttons. This was actually shown by the treehouse footage, the guy was choking on some parts due to him having to press 3 buttons in order just for jumping. 3 buttons is way harder to get used than 2 so this is one of the thing I just don;t like about M&l that got worse imo.

However, I do not see any evidences of switching powers or tech....this might be very good if it is not there for me, if it;s there, please don;t use it as much.....again, one of the thing I didn't liked about m&l. at least it;s not like superstar saga when yu switch powers AND leaders....this one I got pissed at one point. You have a 3 hammer combo if you time the button (but it seems fine for such action, jumping seems not however). You have a dash after a fluffer which I ask, why exactly after a fluffer? Maybe it is to eliminate powers switch? if so, NEVER MIND YES, BEST REPLACEMENT EVER!!! You can also trip to catch running stuff like toads in this case.

The paper craft battle is pretty straight forward, it's an M&L style mario, sorry but it doesn't look paper mario style to me.... At any case, you do some rhythm stuff to charge it and you just ram into other paper craft enemies (which actually, not sure if I would describe these goomba as paper style or m&L style....leaning on the later). You can also charge it to have it drop the papercraft, but you need to gain it back by moving the platform and you loose a bit of power. You can charge it by doing the rhythm thing again. overall....it;s not much paper mario to me...it;s just there.....not very much interesting tbh.

Some other things about the overworld, we see cactus and those dessert trees from SS. This is again very good because it was a good part of SS.

Every paper mario characters has a white outline for the first time ever. This would NORMALLY look extremely odd, but consider that they are near m&L styled characters, it actually makes it better. So, cool.

This is it for the game mechanics, overall, the paper Mario stuff are well integrated and if it;s going well, it might make me buy the game despite my complains about M&L gameplay due to some stuff that would overshadow them.

Now, here;s the stuff that just makes me EXTREMELY HYPE, how much nintendo cares about Paper Mario.

Sure, the goomba tells it;s 2 mario, but guys, if you read the text from the footages, you will clearly see Paper Mario and mario, THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!!

Look, this has HUGE implication. Every enemies has the word paper in front of them and paper mario is no longer mario. every freaking paper mario elements is NOT viewed as mario and even more, the guy at the tree house stated that paper mario has abilities that mario cannot do as well as its series having a distinct flavour and artstyle. mention of spm and TTYD, but as expected, no SS mention.

This means 2 things:
  • Paper Mario gets so much deserved love. Seriously, I myself never thought they would ever say "well this guy is no longer mario, it's another entity". for me, it jsut felt like toon link before and it does bring heavy love tot he series. He even has its name officialese for the god sake, what can you ask to have the love of the series better? not only this is very bright looking for his series, but because the James leak is still around, it doesn't change the chance of getting a Paper Mario game on WiiU. Even more and this is the the cherry on the cake, this game is probably a transition to paper mario coming back big. They are aware of what happened to SS, that tbh, I don;t think I shoudl doubt this anymore, they know. This game i feel is a tastes of the charms of Paper Mario and because of this, it will likely sell a lot. I really feel that this game is the midpoint between SS and paper mario getting back on its glory. It just makes sense for me. Basically, FINALLY THE SERIES GETS SOME DUE LOVE LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
  • You waited for this one....it completely screws up our logic on his support for ssb4 in a fantastic ways. Before, you could not deny he was the same mario, just being an offset of him would be enough in ssb. Now, you can no longer say he;s mario, but you HAVE to acknowledge that hes now officially Paper Mario. This is huge guys, i feel so much free that I can finally have solid evidences against the claim that he is redundancy because of being mario. Even the treehouse guy (the one who actually worked on the games) acknowledge that Paper Mario has different abilities that mario cannot do which is made obvious in this game. Even more, notice how paper luigi is not playable? Yeah, this again, makes him very distinctive as a character. This is like the Overthere and I;m not joking, I would NEVER think this day would come when you could finally argue that Paper Mario isn't mario, but PAPER Mario. This just looks bright to us and this is why we should jsut do more effort now, the newer game will bring more activities.
TL;DR (though, why you didn;t rerad this interesting post? :( ).

I am not sure if I will buy the game because I need to see if the aper mario stuff would overshadow my dislikes ont he M&L gameplay. This game implies SO MUCH
stuff for the series making a sequel more likely and finally getting rid of the worst arguments ever against its inclusion in ssb4 and his series now gets the recongition it deserves. it is the midpoint between the fail with sticker star and a big come back to root.

I;m actually looking forward to hear more but now, I shall plan my activities on support because look, even the OP needs a huge revamp like....wow.

Does anyone have any opinions on this exhaustive review of previews? :)

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
it;s time, the tree house ended for today and I got some time to relax and I checked everything we know so far. This post will tend to be exhaustive, but please note: it likely might get outdated rather quickly so, I will only post additional info, this is what was shown, heard or accesible today.

First, we got the digital event with the trailer, right after the event, we got some screenshots and a summary on their E3 website:

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/3ds/mario-and-luigi-paper-jam/

After, the tree house did footage of it (this link contain the right time)

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/v/6240441?t=3h47m59s

And finally, gamexplain did 2 video footage of screen with direct audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbIN49uoDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMkPZj_suc&feature=youtu.be&a

This is every documents we have on the game, nothing more.

Now, let;s get to the summary.

the game is clearly advertised to be M&L, as stated in one of the feature of the summary:
  • Characters from the Paper Mario universe – including Paper Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser and Toad – jump out of a book and into the world of Mario & Luigi, resulting in hilarious and dangerous hijinks, trademarks of the Mario & Luigifranchise.
and there;s a plenty of other evidences, but this one shows it's a fact.

As for the book, we see it looks like the sticker star book, yeah there is some sticker star elements, but don't fret, these are good parts of sticker star :) We know luigi kinda fall over the book as said int he treehouse, basically, we don;t know much. We don;t even know the main vilain but I will bet you it is NOT bowser because with the trailer scene.....it would feel weird. (inb4 shadow queen, lol)

We don;t know much of the dialogues, i cannot tell if the humor style is more m&L than PM (they are vastly different).

So, now that the summary is done, the game is said as action rpg (and it is accurate) as well as the release date being Spring 2016 meaning what we saw is quite far in dev.

now, let';s get tot he actually game.

The tittle screen is the trio and notice already paper mario do its thumbs up, yay!

a quick not on the tittle, I learned that paper jam is actually the thing when you get a paper stuck from a printer. Upon learning that, I felt the name was extremely clever because it;s the paper that jammed into m&L.....brilliant.

Now, the world are clearly M&L style, so is the music. now, tbh, I dont; like both style compared to paper mario, but let me continue (there;s other stuff that I love about the game).

The animation depends, if Paper Mario, you get paper mario and if M&L, you get M&L. this lead me to check the paper mario animations and FINALLY THINKING IN BATTLES IS BACK!!!!!!

The paper mode animation is just not fluid, I hoped to see a twist.....I would forgive if 3ds limitations, but at least that and the paper plane from TTYD are back (and folding over....this is ambiguous though). So, I won;t complain much, you have stuff from TTYD so YAY!!!! The hammer is the wooden one (good to see you back.....i love this hammer design a lot) and he uses a very huge ultra hammer that looks paper mario 3d style to have the special attacks. These attacks are actually good, it's the enemy is paperised no matter if paper mario or M&L (you have both kind of enemies, more on this later), and you try to to slap a bomb with tennis stuff. The trick is you have to aim it on the papers and you have to press the button of the character (mario is a, luigi is b and paper mario is y). this sounds very hard in a good way, these might be the best action commands ever because paper mario also has neat stuff.

At the cost of his turn, you can have copies sticked to you. For those of you who played SS, it';s like the 72 boss sticked together, except you have around 6 copies I think. the enemies in paper however has that ability as well which leads to weird paper attacks that honestly, might be a contribution tot he paper mario series as the paper part of the enemies was too weird in SS and not much shown in other games, this one seems to do it right. The copies makes the action commands way harder, but you can deal more damages. Overall, I love it :)

other things to note of him in battle, you can block and he has the classic duck and cover animation again, YAY!!!!! one cool thing though, I saw a dual fire flower attack with M&L, paper mario was actually cheering behind them, a quirky addition. In battle, he has the famous angry pose when in defense, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES FINALLY HE HAS IT IN BATTLE!!!!!! The other things are classic, he has tripping when you actually trip (watch the treehouse footage, you'll get what I'm saying) and the on one foot animation like before the plant boss. You can attack either M&L or paper enemies with any characters, it doesn't matter. Finally, for some reasons, paper mario can fluffer, you read that right, fluffer....I don;t get why, but I'll just say it's cool :) btw, his pose are back like the stylish poses, you have them integrated with stuff like action commands or winning a battle (this is the first game that has him NOT do the thumbs up when winning, but don;t worry it appears often enough in battle).

if I don;t bring m&L gameplay, it's because it's what you would expect from dream team (i even played the demo and some parts were really similar). One thing I noticed is that you could just use paper mario a lot and don't use M&L a lot, this is why I am saying that I mind find a way to like the game anyway.

Last battle mechanics are the cards and you willl notice that they have the shiny SS textures, a nice touch. These cards appear after one turn is complete and you have a limited amount of cards displayed on the bottom screen and you can only have 3 cards at the time. My theory is that you gain cards int he overworld or by a shop or something. As for the unexplained button on the lower screen, i think it's a shuffle cards button, leave that to your speculation.

Speaking of gameplay, overworld, well one thing that bothers me a lot is it already was annoying for me to press 2 buttons to jump.....you now need to press 3 buttons. This was actually shown by the treehouse footage, the guy was choking on some parts due to him having to press 3 buttons in order just for jumping. 3 buttons is way harder to get used than 2 so this is one of the thing I just don;t like about M&l that got worse imo.

However, I do not see any evidences of switching powers or tech....this might be very good if it is not there for me, if it;s there, please don;t use it as much.....again, one of the thing I didn't liked about m&l. at least it;s not like superstar saga when yu switch powers AND leaders....this one I got pissed at one point. You have a 3 hammer combo if you time the button (but it seems fine for such action, jumping seems not however). You have a dash after a fluffer which I ask, why exactly after a fluffer? Maybe it is to eliminate powers switch? if so, NEVER MIND YES, BEST REPLACEMENT EVER!!! You can also trip to catch running stuff like toads in this case.

The paper craft battle is pretty straight forward, it's an M&L style mario, sorry but it doesn't look paper mario style to me.... At any case, you do some rhythm stuff to charge it and you just ram into other paper craft enemies (which actually, not sure if I would describe these goomba as paper style or m&L style....leaning on the later). You can also charge it to have it drop the papercraft, but you need to gain it back by moving the platform and you loose a bit of power. You can charge it by doing the rhythm thing again. overall....it;s not much paper mario to me...it;s just there.....not very much interesting tbh.

Some other things about the overworld, we see cactus and those dessert trees from SS. This is again very good because it was a good part of SS.

Every paper mario characters has a white outline for the first time ever. This would NORMALLY look extremely odd, but consider that they are near m&L styled characters, it actually makes it better. So, cool.

This is it for the game mechanics, overall, the paper Mario stuff are well integrated and if it;s going well, it might make me buy the game despite my complains about M&L gameplay due to some stuff that would overshadow them.

Now, here;s the stuff that just makes me EXTREMELY HYPE, how much nintendo cares about Paper Mario.

Sure, the goomba tells it;s 2 mario, but guys, if you read the text from the footages, you will clearly see Paper Mario and mario, THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!!

Look, this has HUGE implication. Every enemies has the word paper in front of them and paper mario is no longer mario. every freaking paper mario elements is NOT viewed as mario and even more, the guy at the tree house stated that paper mario has abilities that mario cannot do as well as its series having a distinct flavour and artstyle. mention of spm and TTYD, but as expected, no SS mention.

This means 2 things:
  • Paper Mario gets so much deserved love. Seriously, I myself never thought they would ever say "well this guy is no longer mario, it's another entity". for me, it jsut felt like toon link before and it does bring heavy love tot he series. He even has its name officialese for the god sake, what can you ask to have the love of the series better? not only this is very bright looking for his series, but because the James leak is still around, it doesn't change the chance of getting a Paper Mario game on WiiU. Even more and this is the the cherry on the cake, this game is probably a transition to paper mario coming back big. They are aware of what happened to SS, that tbh, I don;t think I shoudl doubt this anymore, they know. This game i feel is a tastes of the charms of Paper Mario and because of this, it will likely sell a lot. I really feel that this game is the midpoint between SS and paper mario getting back on its glory. It just makes sense for me. Basically, FINALLY THE SERIES GETS SOME DUE LOVE LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
  • You waited for this one....it completely screws up our logic on his support for ssb4 in a fantastic ways. Before, you could not deny he was the same mario, just being an offset of him would be enough in ssb. Now, you can no longer say he;s mario, but you HAVE to acknowledge that hes now officially Paper Mario. This is huge guys, i feel so much free that I can finally have solid evidences against the claim that he is redundancy because of being mario. Even the treehouse guy (the one who actually worked on the games) acknowledge that Paper Mario has different abilities that mario cannot do which is made obvious in this game. Even more, notice how paper luigi is not playable? Yeah, this again, makes him very distinctive as a character. This is like the Overthere and I;m not joking, I would NEVER think this day would come when you could finally argue that Paper Mario isn't mario, but PAPER Mario. This just looks bright to us and this is why we should jsut do more effort now, the newer game will bring more activities.
TL;DR (though, why you didn;t rerad this interesting post? :( ).

I am not sure if I will buy the game because I need to see if the aper mario stuff would overshadow my dislikes ont he M&L gameplay. This game implies SO MUCH
stuff for the series making a sequel more likely and finally getting rid of the worst arguments ever against its inclusion in ssb4 and his series now gets the recongition it deserves. it is the midpoint between the fail with sticker star and a big come back to root.

I;m actually looking forward to hear more but now, I shall plan my activities on support because look, even the OP needs a huge revamp like....wow.

Does anyone have any opinions on this exhaustive review of previews? :)
Yeah, you said a lot of good things here.

Maybe just a couple of more minor comments from me.

I think the paper-craft battles are called that because they are giant statues of the M&L characters made BY the PM universe characters. In which case, I think the Papercraft battles are meant to represent the two worlds' powers uniting in a big way.
A giant (M&L's giant battles) cardboard statue (Paper Mario's paper aesthetic) modeled after the M&L characters (Mario and Goombas [here's hoping for Paper-craft Luigi and/or Bowser at some point]) being carried by PM characters (Paper toads and goombas)

Another thing to mention is that while it does look good, we have yet to see any characters unique to PM or any characters unique to M&L (Aside from Starlow). We also haven't seen Paper Luigi yet either. Though this might hint to him not being in the game, it is also entirely possible that he could just be continuing his regular side-character role (Aside from SPM).
If he is in the game though, let's just hope that he actually talks, and has presence.
Instead of being like he was in SS, a silent, background Easter egg

As a bit more of a personal thing, I'd love to see Paper Toadsworth make his return, even if only for a short time/with a small role. Unlike the PM series, where Toadsworth had a single, minor appearance, the M&L series has had Toadsworth in every game. Granted, he was always either a very minor side character or a tutorial character, but still. He's a toad, and the description of the game says that toads got sucked into the M&L universe, so...

Just some little things to think about.

Personally, I want more info before I really begin to go into this.
It has a lot of potential, and so far, it looks to be doing both series justice.
But we'll have to wait until 2016 to know for sure.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
MORE POSITIVITY :D

Listen to that boss music, omg that sounds so epic! Like every fight is an important battle!
(Which is what I liked about Dream Team the most: its OST)

and yeah, he's now officially PAPER Mario as mentioned above me! So he is now no longer the "same" as Mario, he is a separate incarnation rather than the same plumber. Hopefully, this should drive up support!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
MORE POSITIVITY :D

Listen to that boss music, omg that sounds so epic! Like every fight is an important battle!
(Which is what I liked about Dream Team the most: its OST)

and yeah, he's now officially PAPER Mario as mentioned above me! So he is now no longer the "same" as Mario, he is a separate incarnation rather than the same plumber. Hopefully, this should drive up support!
already posted the video link and like I said....these music style I just don;t like it....

hope for retro style tracks from paper mario at the very least though, it;s now possible right?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
already posted the video link and like I said....these music style I just don;t like it....

hope for retro style tracks from paper mario at the very least though, it;s now possible right?
There will probably be a section of the game where you go to the paper world, it just makes sense in a crossover.

And the Mario & Luigi games normally have composers from Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, personally I love that style :D Each Mario & Luigi games have some of my personal favorite OSTs, so I'm super hype :)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Paper Jam "My Thoughts" thingy;

Mario
"""""""
+Fast (SPD is good)
+Strong (ATK is good)
+Usually the Jumper
=Has moves unique to him, but he needs Luigi to do them

Luigi
""""""
+Beefy (HP is good)
+Co-Op Champ (Has a bit more BP than Mario)
+Tank (DEF is good)
+Quite Fashionable (Stache is great)
+Usually using a Hammer
=Also has moves unique to him, but he needs Mario to do them

Paper Mario
"""""""""""""""
+NO STICKERS
+Fastest
+Strongest
+Can hover in the air on the Defensive to avoid danger
+Can make Copies of himself without using up a turn to survive longer
=Has very unique attacks exclusive to him, but needs both the Bros. to do it
=Not much BP, but his Trio Attacks are very powerful
=Orange is his main color now...for some reason (Maybe to represent his Hammer?)
-Glass Cannon (Can't take much punishment without dieing)

X
""
+The Bros. and Paper Mario can Dash and Tackle on the Overworld, not sure if this can earn a First Strike on Enemies
+Everyone can now Block (And like Sticker Star [GAAAAAAH], you can just hold it out for a limited time and you don't need to be time-specific. Just note that blocking isn't always the way to go, as you can still counter-attack or just avoid damage. Only block when you need it.)
-No Paper Luigi *sad music*

Etc.
"""""
+I'm gonna buy it
+10/10 OST
+This game probably increases his chances as Smash DLC

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I sorta hope the Trio Attacks don't always start with the hammer animation.
I mean, it looks awesome, but takes so long....

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I sorta hope the Trio Attacks don't always start with the hammer animation.
I mean, it looks awesome, but takes so long....
Every Trio Attack after the first one you see in the game (Albeit the demo resets progress every time so that's forced) just has them smashing the mallet
No flashy animation after the 1st one (Unless the fight is important iirc)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does Paper Jam confirm that Paper Mario and regular Mario aren't the same character, or what? And why is only Paper Mario there? Shouldn't Paper Luigi also be there?

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Does Paper Jam confirm that Paper Mario and regular Mario aren't the same character, or what? And why is only Paper Mario there? Shouldn't Paper Luigi also be there?
Yes. Paper Mario is merely a character in a book. Paper Luigi is probably there as well due to Paper Peach, but I guess he'll serve another role.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
why do you think I got hella hype yesterday?

yes it does. It;s the first time that he is constantly refereed to as "Paper Mario" instead of mario. It completely changes the philosophy of supporting him because before, you would have to acknowledge he was just mario and in ssb, he wouldn't be while now, he's his own character already and you would actually have to acknowledge that.

As for why no paper luigi, maybe some system constraints, but it actually gives a distinct aspect to Paper Mario :)

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
why do you think I got hella hype yesterday?

yes it does. It;s the first time that he is constantly refereed to as "Paper Mario" instead of mario. It completely changes the philosophy of supporting him because before, you would have to acknowledge he was just mario and in ssb, he wouldn't be while now, he's his own character already and you would actually have to acknowledge that.

As for why no paper luigi, maybe some system constraints, but it actually gives a distinct aspect to Paper Mario :)
I hope you will be able to find Paper Luigi across the MK and he will tell you about going on adventures like he did in TTYD.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Calling it now, rival this game is Wario, Waluigi and Mr.L/Paper Luigi, that would explain his absence. I mean the rival should have triple attacks too, kinda like how Popple and Rookie had Bros attacks. I don't even care if it's unlikely, I just feel like it's going to happen.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I agree with @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 saying that Shadow Queen will be the boss, but with a twist...

Remember the PM bosses?
Bowser -> Shadow Queen (Peach) -> Super Dimentio (Luigi + Dimentio + Chaos Heart) -> Bowser again.
If they are following a pattern then Shadow Queen will likely return.

Though the M&L games final bosses tend to be merely Bowser fused with someone else...
Bowletta & Cackletta's soul (Bowser + Cackletta) -> Shrowser (Bowser + Elder Princess Shroob) -> Dark Bowser (Dark Bowser + Dark Star's Core) -> Dreamy Bowser (Bowser + Dream Stone)

Shadow Bowser maybe???

Wait I just remembered something...
You know how Paper Mario's animations are the TTYD ones? Especially the battle ones and the paper airplane?
Perhaps the characters are the TTYD ones? If they are there's no reason for Shadow Queen to be absent.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I agree with @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 saying that Shadow Queen will be the boss, but with a twist...

Remember the PM bosses?
Bowser -> Shadow Queen (Peach) -> Super Dimentio (Luigi + Dimentio + Chaos Heart) -> Bowser again.

Though the M&L games final bosses tend to be merely Bowser fused with someone else...
Bowletta & Cackletta's soul (Bowser + Cackletta) -> Shrowser (Bowser + Elder Princess Shroob) -> Dark Bowser (Dark Bowser + Dark Star's Core) -> Dreamy Bowser (Bowser + Dream Stone)

Shadow Bowser maybe???

You know how Paper Mario's animations are the TTYD ones? Especially the battle ones and the paper airplane?
Perhaps the characters are the TTYD ones? If they are there's no reason for Shadow Queen to be absent.

Since we have papercraft Mario as a special Trio Move, then the most likely bowser form would be Paper craft Bowser, combining the powers of Bowser and Paper Bowser

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Calling it right now: Paper Mario's Final Smash has to start like the Trio Attacks.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I bought M&L dream team recently so sorry for the delay, but this video released today, it's 34 minutes of paper jam, but the beginning has the intro which is SO GOOD!

The best part is when Paper Mario asks to be called Paper Mario, best thing ever :)

Also, one thing I got after rewatching the treehouse, the stars points displayed on the bottom screen is required to use the cards, you gain them after successful action commands.

Oh, and the papercraft boss has the royal sticker in papercraft on its head :)

Also, I just need to say how much I lvoe Paper Mario's animation....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Calling it now, rival this game is Wario, Waluigi and Mr.L/Paper Luigi, that would explain his absence. I mean the rival should have triple attacks too, kinda like how Popple and Rookie had Bros attacks. I don't even care if it's unlikely, I just feel like it's going to happen.
I hope you will be able to find Paper Luigi across the MK and he will tell you about going on adventures like he did in TTYD.
check the video, the intro implicitly mentions that he exists so, do not worry, he;ll be in the game somehow :)

Remember the PM bosses?

Shadow Bowser maybe???

euh.....please, don;t specualte with such thing :(

There;s no patterns. Remember that SS was rushed? And that it was made without much consideration of the story? That justify Bowser being final boss, but dude, these games seriously have no set patterns, just that you forget this cause it;s honestly ridiculous to think there;s one.....

As for the animation, don;t have TTYD in mind because I coudl say the same for pm64, the thumbs up is from pm64, plus, there';s quite a lot from SS like the action command sfx. It;s not neccessarilly from TTYD and btw, the stylish pose are in his jump and some of them were in SS, but also in spm.

Basically, yes, there;s plenty of reasons for the shadow queen to noit be there, the "lol" and the "inb4" implied I was joking about it btw, I don't even ahve any reasons to think who is the final boss because we don;t have enough info.

Just make sure to not get your hopes up like that :)

Since we have papercraft Mario as a special Trio Move, then the most likely bowser form would be Paper craft Bowser, combining the powers of Bowser and Paper Bowser
I do think it;s possible, but I still don;t think it would be the final boss, a boss? possible :)

Calling it right now: Paper Mario's Final Smash has to start like the Trio Attacks.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply because first, it makes no sense as he would be alone in ssb (the hammer is so big it is made for multiple people) and also, did you heard ANY ideas of his final smash?

There;s so much better one that makes the hammer uneccessary. The best Idea imo is art attack, but earth tremor and even supernova as much as I dislike it as FS ideas works better.

I think you should read the movesets on the second posts, I honestly don;t see much that can be added to his moveset from this game....onyl minor stuff.

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I actually only want the intro for Trio Attacks due to that cool paperization effect.
He could use the mallet and paperize the enemy, causing the theater to appear on screen if you're not playing on it, and then proceed to use Art Attack while the crowd cheers for him. After the final hit, the enemy is sent flying and the stage literally unfolds to disappear.

Plus the boss part was merely me trying to explain why I believe Shadow Queen would be the boss.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well it's seem that Paper Jam seem to bring good thing for Paper Mario inclusion! Hope we can see more in the futur. (Also i see SPM hate here.)

Last edited:
NOTICE: Due to the recent events concerning Paper Mario now being his own character in the game Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, this OP contains outdated descriptions and counterarguments. This will likely be updated after E3, but for now, please do not take this OP description and counterargument of Paper Mario as accurate.

Click on the image to vote for him if you wish in your heart to a see Paper Mario be playable in SSB4 as downloadable content
  • Name: Paper Mario
  • Games: Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Reasons: Please, be careful when you write this, include as much as you can in the 500 characters limits. A well written vote is better than a rushed one and remember that it might not be entirely based on the numbers of votes, but the idea itself.

Paper Mario is an incarnation of Mario made of paper. He's the protagonist of the Paper Mario series which is an RPG series from the main platforming series. With four games released starting on the Nintendo 64 in 2000 and the last one being released in 2012 on the 3DS, he's still relevant today.

His series mostly consist of being in an RPG world made of paper which gives its staple artstyle of having bright and lively animation as well as silly humor. His abilities are the use of an hammer and jump which he can wear badges to have different effects on such attacks, doing figure called STYLISH!, having its partners and Pixls from his games to assist him and some paper abilities such as folding himself into an airplane to reach longer distances.

In smash, he would have a playstyle that focus on versatility in its tactics choices while requiring a bit of thinking to use the right moves since it would be harder to change them to adapt to the fighting situation.

For those who are unfamiliar with the series, this video explains a really good TL;DR of him and his situation for ssb4 as well as telling some neat movesets ideas :)

Credits goes to @ FalconSoup FalconSoup

First and foremost, he would represent the paper subset of the Mario series which is currently one of the most deserving subset to be represented in the Mario series. Rosalina represents the galaxy subset, Bowser Jr and the Kooplalings represent the castle and mini boss subset as well as a bit of Mario kart subset and finally Dr Mario represent the puzzle subset of Mario.

All of these subsets makes a great representation, but smash is just getting broader than this. This has been made clear with the recent DLC and other series representation; it's getting broader. His representation is already acknowledged by a stage and a music which would already add to the fact that out of all existing subset of the Mario series, the paper one is important enough to consider a representation in the roster. Many subset fans would wish to get a stage with a music and he already has these which shows how important this subset is for Nintendo.

He also got recognition from Nintendo 3 times on social medias since the announcement of SSB4. The first time was to ask fans what was their favorite paper Mario game. The second time being a reference to Mario as being "The Great Gonzales" which is a name only Paper Mario got on the chapter 3 of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door which is the most appreciated chapter of the most appreciated game of the series. The third time was a post referencing Bombette, a Paper Mario (N64) partner. All these references are a proof that Nintendo think that this subset of Mario is important enough to talk about it like we know about it which is another reason to deserve an inclusion in the roster with such importance.

Also, let's not forget that recent poll in Japan and America have shown that he's requested enough to believe that it would deserve an inclusion.

This subset is very unique and very deep in the Mario series. By having 4 games, some of them being highly praised by its fans from the Nintendo 64 to the Nintendo 3DS, he's a character who went through a lot and has proved to be loved by many. This is why his potential in smash would bring a breeze of fresh air to the roster with how much he would bring from quirky hammer moves to his partners aiding him in a wide variety of situations.

Not to mention the fact that he's Mario making him very recognisable, familiar and acknowledged. Pretty much anyone would know him if people have heard of it, but since he's representing a subset not represented in the current roster, he sure would bring a lot of variety to the roster. As a last proof, his series is one of the most sold one from the Mario series that has yet to see representation in SSB4.

TL;DR, he's a deserving Mario to be in the roster due to the importance of his subset in the series as well as how much this subset could bring to the roster.

His chance are what would most call decent. As said above, he's popular and important enough to consider him, he already got acknowledged in smash by a lot and with Nintendo on social medias and finally, despite his series not having a game since 2-3 years, he's still mentioned quite a bit.

It is however important to mention that his last game got by far the least amount of appreciation due to several changes in the core gameplay of the series. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing because even today, the first games are still appreciated so even though he would have moves from its latest game, it doesn't mean all of his moves will be from the latest one. However, it does hinder a bit his chances and this wouldn't matter much if a new back to root Paper Mario game is announced, which could happen.

Since the release of SSB4, his situation actually improved even if we have yet to see any sign of a new Paper Mario game. The only sign we have was a leak from an Intelligent System employee that is proved to be reliable, but it might just not even be related to the series.

And most importantly, his series got the prestigious outcome to have a stage featuring elements from 3 of the 4 games int he series. There's more trophies and even a music, but the stage alone is actually a very big deal. As said above, it's a special consideration to end up with a stage for its subset.

So, his chances are not the best out there, but they are big enough to realistically think he could appear as DLC in the future.

Well, no one can deny that he's indeed another Mario, but this argument is mostly said upon generalizing the fact that he's simply that and offers no more to the roster other than this.

This argument doesn't tell something very important, if Paper Mario was in the game, his character would reflect more than simply himself like any other characters in the game. He would reflect a complete subset of the Mario series which is simply anything related to him, not just himself.

If you want, it's not another Mario, it's another Mario subset which changes the whole thing. In truth, smash is better with more diversity and that diversity getting broader which is what SSB4 tries to do. To complete my point, that subset is proven to be important enough for fans and Nintendo as I said with the current stage and Nintendo acknowledging it as well as fans requests..

So, considering the truth is another Mario subset, well, yes, we might need this another Mario to get that subset.

If you think about it, Paper Mario is an offset of the Mario you all know, he's him, but differs by its subset just like Dr Mario does it with its puzzle subset and like Toon Link with its cartoon subset. He basically completes the Mario representation because we aren't talking about a not much important subset like the Mario Striker series, we are talking about the Paper Mario one, the one that has been mentioned and loved by many person and so, got recognition with it.

TL;DR: It's more another Mario subset which in this case, considering its importance and that smash doesn't rep it yet according to such importance, we might need that another Mario.

Because the rep that this arguments refers to still don't change the lack of the paper subset repping.

You could even go as far to say that Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser would be enough because they are alone defining the core Mario series. However, it's clear that SSB4 doesn't want to stop there. Which is why Rosalina is there, the galaxy subset was important enough to deserve a subset rep and because that subset is distinctive of the core characters, her playstyle (or her abstraction of her) would reflect it in a distinctive way to. That's exactly what happened with her unique playstyle that is reflecting her subset on its own.

You could explain the same for Dr Mario being the rep of the puzzle subset and Bowser Jr/the Koopalings as they are both the castle/mini boss subset and a bit of the Mario kart one. Of course, you could say that these combined makes a great representation and it's not false, but it doesn't mean it is enough for what kind of broadness SSB4 aims to have.

With how much this game tries to expand the broadness of its repping, by lacking the paper subset is something that is important enough to make Paper Mario worthy as an addition.

Since it would fulfill the repping of a series not repped now, it is an addition, not redundancy like any other Mario series rep on the roster.

TL;DR: It is not enough because smash tries to expand its broadness and variety in repping and while the Paper Mario subset isn't repped yet with its importance, it would be more an addition then redundancy.

But, there's still one thing that needs to be told about him, something that is discussed quite often...

This question has been asked many times:

Would Paper Mario rep his own series or be part of the Mario series?

Short answer: It wouldn't matter because no matter which series he's referred, he still is repping the Paper Mario subset and no matter if that subset is on its own or not, it doesn't change that subset.

Long answer: it depends how you see him. He could be, his abilities differs him enough to just be considered apart, but at the same time, SSB4 more treats him as being part of the Mario series with the stage music and trophies. If you think he's series is important enough, then yes it could be his own series rep. If you think it should be logically better to treat him as a Mario series with how its series is a branch, then he wouldn't.

The end result wouldn't matter, but it is to say that if he gets its own series, that would mean he would have gotten more importance as a Mario subset representative.

As for what would be his series icon, I tough of his wooden hammer, his trademark weapon:

Since so much movesets has been made throughout the life of this thread, they have been moved to the second post here:

MOVESETS

This has been done to make editing posts easier.

Bright Red: Original
Green: PM:TTYD Luigi Emblem
Yellow: PM:TTYD Wario Emblem
Purple: PM:TTYD Wario & Luigi Emblem
Blue: PM:SS Ice Flower
White: PM:SS Fire Flower
Dark red: PM64 design
Dark red with overall: 8 Bit design

Also, these are good one too:

Original
TTYD L Emblem
TTYD W Emblem
TTYD L+W Emblem
Fire Mario
Ice Mario
Paper Mario 64
Super Mario NES

The theater from Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door
This is the battle stage you see in Paper Mario the Thousand-year Door when fighting any
enemies. Because there's so much stuff that happens in this stage, it has, like Paper Mario a huge potential especially in the hazard department. Here's a list:
  • The audience can throw good (healing items) or bad (damaging items like bones, rocks, cans and hammer)
  • A boo can appear to make a player invisible
  • A shy guy may appear to go offstage and make a projector fall on the player for damage
  • The audience can leave or come randomly. They can also make the audience sleepy and make people run away
  • There's decor in the background and they can fall on the player randomly for damage
  • Fog may appear. It could act like a smoke ball, but on the lower part of the stage (and it takes the whole scene)
  • Fireworks may damage player randomly
  • This stage appears with many backgrounds in the game depending on the environment you trigger the battle. This can be translated by having the curtains closing and opening to change the layout of the stage and the background. This can also be a way for boss hazard to appear and damage the player.
And if that doesn't make this stage awesome enough, I made an entry on the stage contest that was decently received (minus his playability since my goal was to put as much hazard as possible and let the reader implement them however he would want).

Name of Stage: The Theater

Game of Origin: Paper Mario The Thousand-year Door

Description: It is a theater for watching fights. There's some chair in front for the audience to watch the fight. Players will fight on the scene and it has walk-off blast zone on both sides. In the original game, this is where all the fights against any opponents occur.

Gimmicks/Hazards: However, this isn't just a stage with a flat platform. In the original game, A LOT of stuff could happen most of them being random. It would be an hazard-fest due to how big the potential of this stage has in the hazard department.

First, let's talk about the audience. The audience are characters from the Paper Mario series. They leave, come or cheers depending how intense the fight is. Some of them can throw items at the fighters for instance, a dry bone can throw a bone and a hammer bros may throw a hammer while others might throw cans. These items harms the fighters, but they can also throw items that helps them like healing items or any attacking items like the fire flower. If a fighter taunts, the audience will cheers and so, more people can come here. Since the audience can help you by giving you useful items, it might be a good strategy to taunt when you can.

Some of them however, does more than that. A shy guy may come on the scene and go behind the scene to make a projector falls which can do some damage if anyone is hurt by it. A boo may go on stage and if he touches a player, this one will become invisible like the cloaking device.

The stage itself also provides some hazard here. These are, having fog covering the bottom part of the scene which hinders the sight of the players or some decor in the background failing randomly and doing damage. Fireworks may also appear in the foreground which damage and may burn the fighters.

Speaking of the decor, it will change to another location in the original game after a set amount of time. Depending on the location, the audience might change and even boss can make appearance! When a switch comes, the curtain will fall and every player will freeze before the curtain opens with the new area. Here's all the layout possible (in order that they switch):

Petal Meadows

This is the starting area. Not much is going here. Koopa troopas might come from a shell which will make the players trip. Help items are more likely to be thrown by the audience.

Keelhaul Key

A jungle so, the decor might annoy the sight of the player because of how dense it is. Piranha plants may come from the ground and bites the fighters which might poison them. Fuzzies may also come and suck life to the characters.

Glitz Pit

Just a battle ring with a screen behind almost like the punch out stage. What is special about this is that, Rawk Hawk is an hazard here. He will jump on the corner to body slam brutally the players. He can also jump kick them which does deadly damage.

Rogueport Sewers

This area is from underground where harmful audience is more likely to appear. Enemies also appear (magikoopa firing magic projectile, bandit running into you and steals any items you had and rarely, a big blooper will come to spit black ink).

X-Naut Fortress

This is a fortress made by the X-Naut, an evil organisation in the original game, on the moon. Because of that, the X-Naut are more likely to appear in the audience where they may throw rocks at the fighters all at the same time. They also appear on stage where they may body slam and throws potions that burn, poison or makes dizzy depending on the colour of it (red is burn, green is poison and blue is dizzy).

Cortez's ship

This area is inside a pirate ship full of treasures. But the owner of this treasure, Cortez, will protect it by fighting the players. He can uses one of his weapon which are a hook, a rapier, a sword, and a sabre. This skeleton is stationary due to the pile of bones that fixes him.
And then you go back to Petal Meadows and the cycle repeats.

Unlockable?: Yes it is unlockable and to unlock it, you would have to unlock Paper Mario as a playable character.

Extra: All the enemies and the audience are the same model from TTYD which means that they are papers. If Paper Mario uses 5 side taunts in quick succession while having Goombella has his partner, she will give a description in a text bubble like TTYD of the other fighter. Also, luigi may appear in the audience.

As you can see, for a simple walk off stage, you can do A LOT it's crazy. So, why not for ssb4? (but of course, the hazards would need be to reasonable...)

As an easter egg, there could be codec on his stage like snake and fox in brawl. In TTYD, the first partner you get is Gombella who has the main purpose of telling you useful informations. In a battle, she has an ability called "tattle" which would tell you basic informations on the enemy (how he attacks and general statistic).

What is special about those texts is that she has a very special way to tell those info and some of them are very funny. She could pay attention to the reason that Hammer Bros has infinite hammer or she could complain how not creative any enemy name can be. Along with her complaining about lots of stuff that she could find awkward or scary and it could even be 4th wall jokes.

As a nice refference to this humour, Paper Mario could have a special taunt on his stage where you would see in the original text bubble the text of the enemy tattle scroll automatically. Here are some ideas:

[collapse=by Rockaphin]
Sonic:

That's Sonic the Hedgehog, his ATTACK and DEFENSE aren't really high but he makes that up with his incredible SPEED! However, if he collects all the Chaos Emeralds, He can transform into a stronger form called, "Super Sonic." While in this form, his ATTACK, DEFENSE, and SPEED go off the charts! Yikes!

I've studied diamonds and all kinds of other gems while attending University of Goom, but I've never seen anything like the Chaos Emeralds! We should totally look for some in the near future!

Little Mac:

That's Little Mac, he seems to be a very balanced fighter with more power to spare! I feel sorry for anyone that comes in contact with his fists. I mean, did'ja see those muscles?! He's such an amazing ground fighter but as soon as he's in the air, it's anyone's game. That's when you attack!

He may train to be a great boxer but you're no slouch in the ring either, Mr. Gonzales! Don't forgot, we've taken down things that he wishes he could! . . . But, would you get me an autograph? Pretty please!

Olimar & Pikmin:

That’s Captain Olimar! By himself, he doesn’t have much attack power or defense. However, he discovered the ability to command these cute little creatures called Pikmin. Each Pikmin has a unique ability so watch out for that, especially the Purple Pikmin!

This reminds me of our visit to The Great Boggly Tree. Remember the Punies? So yeah, you should definitely know what this guy is up to before he even gets the chance! Just don’t hurt the Pikmin, I don’t think my poor little heart could take it.

Meta-Knight:

You're fighting Kirby! Why's he wearing a mask? Oh wait, that's Meta-Knight! His defense is poor, but his attack and speed are above average. He's very quick with his sword and he can fly around the stage. I remember hearing how well he fought in Brawl, some even claimed that he was the best! Pfft, fanboys obviously.

I hear he has a flying ship called the Halberd. Flying or not, I bet Cortez's ship would take it down in no time!
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Paper Maribro]
Tattle for :gw:

"Look, it's Nintendo's very first character. You must be honoured to be fighting such a historical figure. Nobody has appeared in more games than Mr. Game and Watch and who knows, he might even be older than you, not you Mario, they know who I mean.

He's also 2D just like you, but don't let that make you think he's weak. Game and Watch packs a punch and his aerial game is very good."

Tattle for :mario:

"Wait, who is that!? Mario, why are you over there? Wait! I know who this is, you remember Twilight Town? Doopliss fooled us all and made us think he was you! This time his disguise isn't as good, he's so much chubbier than you Mario. Time for us to get our revenge!"

Tattle for :toonlink:

"That's link, but he's smaller, lighter and looks like he's stepped straight from a cartoon. I wonder what I should call him...

Wait, how about Toon Link? I'm not just a pretty face you know that Mario? I also know how to name things.

Anyway, he's lighter and weaker than Link but don't let him come from above and drop that sword from above. You might get a paper cut."

Tattle for :4bowser:

"Mario, look! It's your arch nemesis, Bowser. He looks a bit different to usual, I wonder what poorly defended object he's stolen to gain more power this time…

Anyway, I checked the rumour board and read that after two mediocre appearances in the last two Smash games, Bowser has been training hard. Watch out for his new move, Bowser Bomb. If he catches you with it in the air or on the edge, he's gonna take you down with him. Try not to get burnt by his fiery breath now!"

Tattle for :4myfriends:

"That's Ike. Hp is 50, Attack is 9 and Defence is… wait. Sorry, wrong game.

That's Ike, he carries Ragnell, the two handed sword, with one hand. His strength is unparalleled. However, due to the weight of his sword, he is quite slow. His sword also produces flames, reminds me of another, forgotten, swordsman…"

Tattle for :4lucina:

"Lucina joins the brawl!? Wait, why is that a question…

Anyway, Lucina is the daughter of Chrom, the king of Elyse. An expert swordswoman, she represented the West Khan in the Arena Ferox. Lucina traveled in time to save her kingdom. An inspiring story indeed. Her father is highly protective of her, however, strangely, is nowhere to be found right now. Where do you think he ended up Mario?"

Tattle for :4pacman:

"Is… Is that Pac-man!? Wow, one of the most iconic video game characters in the world. He's slightly older than you, Mario, but don't let that stop you whupping his butt. Pac is strong but his hitbox is quite large so you can probably combo and punish him fairly easily.

His strength is in his fire hydrant. He can use it as a projectile or as a barrier, pushing away anyone that is trying to attack him. He also turns into his arcade version in his dash attack. That's so cool! Wagga wagga"

Tattle for :4megaman:

"Wow Megaman has made it to the biggest gaming celebration in the world. Megaman's strength is in his projectile game. His buster shots aren't high ranged, but get hit by a charged one and it's lethal. His Leaf Shield acts a barrier too. Pretty sure you had something like that once upon a time…

But, what makes him so Mega, Mario? Pretty sure you're a lot stronger than he is. Show him who's boss!"
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Jubileus57]
Tattle for Peach

Omigosh! That our beloved Princess Peach! Or rather a weird, 3D version of her. That's kinda disturbing...
Wait... You're going to FIGHT her? Why? You always try to RESCUE her! Talk about inconsistency...
Anyways, if that clash is necessary, be extra careful of her Turnips. If she's Lucky she can pull out a special one that could do, like, up to 35 DAMAGE! That's whopping. And scary. Oh, and she can also float.
But are you sure you want to fight her? Really?
[/collapse]
[collapse=by SpaceJell0]
Charizard's Tattle Log:

"Woah! That's Charizard! THE COOLEST FIRE TYPE POKEMON EVER!...Sorry.
It has a super weird mix of heavy weight and surprising speed on the ground while having a similar weird mix of hard-hitting and quick attacks! Also watch out for his Mega Evolution! He turns into a Fire/Dragon Type!
You know what? Why don't you try playing cricket sounds when it- oh wait...sorry it reminded me of another dragon we fought before...actually several dragons we fought before."

Yoshi's Tattle Log:

"Hey! Is that our little Yoshi we hatched in Glitzville?!...Oh I don't think he is our Yoshi...awkward...
This Yoshi has an average weight and possesses similar Flutter Jump, Egg Throw, and Gulp Attacks. When he gets the Smash Ball he...TURNS INTO A DRAGON?! How can something soooooo cute be super terrifying?!
Ugh I hate these kinds of surprises! Sorta like the time we were tricked into- whoops! Don't want to spoil anything for these nice players out there!...Whaddya mean you don't know who I'm talking to?
[/collapse]

From Paper Mario
Normal Battle
Toad town
Tubba Blubba
Crystal king
King of the Koopas
A Kingdom in Chaos
Huffin' and Puffin'
Sad Sun
Petunia Under Attack!
Over Shiver Mountain

From Paper Mario The thousand-year door
Title theme
Rogueport, Town of Thieves

It's Battle Time
The Breeze of Petal Meadows
Rawk Hawk Rock
Fight Against Mario... No, Doopliss
Ship Battle with Cortez
Fire up the Cannon and Blast to the Moon!
Storm the X-Naut's Fortress
Big Bowser Koopa Krush
We believe in You, Mario!
Shadow Queen Final Battle

From Super Paper Mario
Title Screen
Flipside
Lineland Road
Fracktail Battle
A Powerful Enemy Emerges
Francis Battle
Floro Sapien Caverns
Battle Time
The Underwhere
Underchomp Battle
Castle Bleck
The Ultimate Show

From Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Normal Battle
Kamek Battle
Tower Power Pokey
Final Boss(Phase two)

[collapse=by Relax Alax]
Link appears walking into a dungeon. It is a dark underground area with ruins all about. Jail cells with bars can be seen, and darkness plagues the background. Somewhat resembling a sewer.

Link heads in deeper. Water droplets fall from overhanging pipes. As he heads in deeper he notices a weird star door in front of him. Curious he steps on through it. He enters out of the door on top of some sort of tower! Confused, he's looking around for answers and is a bit reluctant. However, he sees a giant wooden chest further out on the tower. Delighted, he rubs his hands together and he waltz over to the chest. He goes forward to opening it. As it opens, the traditional music plays:

BUT on the last note, the music gets interrupted and cuts like a record. It appears to be a map rolled up.

As this happens, the map rustles and Link steps back drawing his sword and this song plays as the paper unravels. It stands before Link

PAPER MARIO SLIPS IN!

(Still in CG, but moved to Paper Marios stage, Flipside Tower, ala the Little Mac trailer) Link standa looking confused. He eventually snaps out of it and goes forward to attack him. Paper Mario transforms paper thin to dodge Link with ease. He then gently floats to the ground. Link is slashing everywhere to no avail. Paper Mario transforms into the cylindrical paper roll behind Link, and moves forward to make Link trip and fall to the floor.

Link tries to sit up, shaking his head. He looks left and right for Paper Mario but is greeted by a beep.

Beep (He's frantically looking)
Beep (He turns around . Paper Mario is holding a hammer over him)
.... BEEP (Paper Mario brings down the hammer and Link is launched in the air for a star KO)

The trailer begins with this music , but a more fast paced fighting theme.

He's shown flying in on his paper airplane to Battlefield. He goes into a idle animation where it appears he's choosing what to do like in his games. The first scene shows him attacking several characters with his Hammer attack. His dash is his spinning run from the first Paper Mario. A few funny situations show his special move where he goes completely thin and can move around nearly invisibly. A scene occurs where Bowser is in the middle of the real Mario and Paper Mario. He looks at PM, then at Mario, then at Paper Mario, who then retracts into his flat form. This causes Bowser to Smash Attack Mario and send him flying off. A few scenes show him roll dodging with his paper roll, him running unsuccessfully as Kirby is trying to suck him up and him laying completely flat on the ground after being hit . He then shows his final smash where he summons show stopper and tears through the screen with the Crystal Stars and KO's his opponents.

The trailer ends with Mario running to save Peach and randomly getting hit by a bomb. Paper Mario unravels out of his flat form beside Peach as she taunts.

The usual Logo comes up with release date and all that jazz.

At the very end it shows Luigi on a stage with PM appearing. Luigi looks at him and he looks at Luigi. Luigi dash attacks away in fear and PM looks at the screen gesturing "I dunno ...."

Ahhh if only if only.

[/collapse]
[collapse=by SpaceJell0]
First, The logo slashes through the screen and burns as always. Then, the screen goes white, and the Mario Paint Title Screen shows up.
Cue a more energetic and modernized version of the Mario Paint Main Theme

There's just one thing, it's all in a 3D and CG! A fly starts buzzing and the iconic hand shows up to swat it (The hand looks strangely like Master Hand...). It proceeds to pull down the Mario Paint UI over the title screen and then taps it's fingers, as if it was pondering what to draw.
Suddenly, the hand snaps it's fingers! It had an idea! It grabs a paintbrush and the camera shows several shots of the hand making brush strokes, but the full screen is never shown.
The camera pans out to show that it was never Mario Paint at all! It was all simply the hand in an artist's room drawing on paper and the UI was his tools! The hand gives a thumbs up and the camera focuses on the drawing...
IT'S PAPER MARIO!!
Suddenly, the music stops and the room begins to rumble! The hand "runs away" as Paper Mario peels off of the paper. He stretches and jumps into the air as the Splash Screen says:
PAPER MARIO FOLDS IN!
*cue the rock remix of TTYD Main Theme
The screen tears in half to show Paper Mario's entrance animation, which is him flying in as a paper airplane.
The real Mario shows up and does his Down Taunt (The Donkey Kong death animation)
Peach and Luigi both crouch, Luigi shows fear and Peach shows curiousity
Bowser looks back and forth between Mario and Paper Mario and Side Smashes Mario right as the music gets energetic!!
Bowser does a FAir against Paper Mario and PM airdodges (which is a STYLISH! pose) and then uses his BAir on Bowser which is Parakarry's Sky Dive.
Cut to Paper Mario using his Neutral B to hold and throw Bombette, Admiral Bobbery, and Boomer.
Next scene shows Paper Mario using his Spin Dash from Paper Mario 64 as his Dash Attack against Mega Man's Top Spin and out-prioritizes it.
Paper Mario then uses his FAir, which is Lady Bow, against Luigi, ironically.
Yoshi is shown running away from Paper Mario as he uses Thoreau, his ranged grab, on him and uses his FThrow, the Baby Yoshi from TTYD using Gulp.
Paper Mario then uses Koops on Greninja in front of him and Kooper on Diddy Kong behind showing off his Side B.
PM then uses Barry, his Down B Counter, and uses his Superguard animation against Lucina's Side Smash.
Paper Mario then taunts by wagging his finger at the screen with his cap slightly tipped down.
He then uses Vivian as his FTilt to hit Pit in front of him, causing a fiery hit!
Villager goes after PM with his Net as PM spot dodges, folding towards the screen like in TTYD and SPM, and Side Smashes with Ultra Hammer.
Paper Mario then taunts with Toon Link and Samus as they all use their taunts that involve looking around, PM's being putting his hand to his forehead and "searching".
PM then uses his Final Smash to call upon all the Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, and Pure Hearts to entrap Mario and release Peach Beam (Star Spirits), Supernova (Crystal Stars) and finish the move off with the Pure Hearts "breaking" a section of the screen off!!
PM shows off his final taunt, being holding up either a Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart, while this plays:
The Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS logo shows up and, like most of the trailers, shows off one final cutscene.
The Final Scene shows Master Hand painting, the camera pans up to show Popo and Nana posing for the picture as a drawing of Paper Mario floats in front of the camera.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Paper Maribro]
Shot of Dreamland from space before cutting into Kirby fighting Bowser. Watching the fight is a lone figure who is heard gasping. The figure is then revealed to be a nervous looking Adeleine in front of a canvas. She has an idea and hurriedly starts painting. Close up shots of reds, blues and browns before Adeleine steps back and looks at the painting, pleased with herself. The painting comes to life and Bowser, now distracted looks over in horror. Cut away to Paper Mario putting his patented wooden hammer on his shoulder.

"Paper Mario Tears in!"

This starts playing as Paper Mario strolls across a stage. Goombella then starts tattling;

"You've finally made it! The Great Gonzales has made it to the biggest fighting stage in the world. The foes here are quite tough though"

Paper Mario starts hitting foes with his hammer, using a variety of moves;

"Your patented hammer, use it to your advantage, whether you're throwing it, or smashing enemies to Underwhere with it, you'll always be remembered for your hammer."

Paper Mario shoots Koops/Kooper out into an enemy, grabs a foe with Thoreau before using Watt to zap them away, finally, in a counter style move, Vivian ducks with Mario before using shade fist and burning the enemy:

"Don't forget about us Mario, we've always been here to help you and Smash Brothers is exactly the same."

Paper Mario is Donkey Kong Punched off the stage and KO'd

"Don't forget you're made from paper and as such you're very light, try not to take too much punishment."

Some more gameplay of Paper Mario is shown before cutting back to Dreamland where Bowser lay defeated. Paper Mario spots something in the distance and runs off. Kirby and Adeleine watch on, confused. Paper Mario is then shown with Mr. Game and Watch, the two start taunting as they are both pleased to find out they aren't the only flat character in the game.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by Paper Maribro (second idea)]
My second trailer idea

Cut to an entirely black screen which slowly lights up with various different coloured spot-lights. A mysterious arena (to some) is shown and a female toad announcer calling the fighters.

"For our next battle we have the Tiny Terra-firma Terror, yes it's Little Mac against the Golden Hawk, the champion, yes it's a Championship match with the RAWK HAWK."

Rawk Hawk and Little Mac begin to fight with Little Mac appearing to have the upper hand before Rawk Hawk jumps up to the top of the arena, hangs off it and drops down on LM, KOing him. Rawk Hawk begins celebrating when all of a sudden his expression changes to one of dismay. The camera pans over to the Great Gonzales with the crowd going wild before the announcer says that this is the true championship battle. Splash art of the Great Gonzales "The Great Gonzales joins the fold". The Great Gonzales' gameplay is then shown with the Glitz Pit stage being confirmed for Wii U. The Glitz Pit stage uses Aldelaro's theater ideas but puts into the Glitz Pit location. Final cut back to the Glitz Pit where a defeated Rawk Hawk laments his lack of appearance in this game before being shown as an AT.
[/collapse]
[collapse=by MegaMarioMan9]
Smash logo appears in flames, as always. Suddenly, the scene from the first reveal with the Animal Crossing Villager appears on the screen. He opens his letter, and runs off exactly as he did in the original trailer. This should confuse many people watching the reveal, making them think that Nintendo accidentally showed off the wrong trailer, possibly causing them to leave. (Ha, just like when you mess up in battle causing the audience to leave :p) Suddenly, something new happens. Along with the Smash Bros. invitation that the Villager got, another piece of paper slips out. It transforms into a paper tube and begins rolling down one of the village's many paths. Then, the screen cuts to all of the previous newcomer reveals (in very short clips) going along with the offbeat parts of the main theme in the first trailer, while you-know-who's movements are on the jumpier beats. Villager! (Forms into paper tube) MegaMan! (Rolls along path) Wii Fit Trainer! (Rolls off cliff into paper airplane) Rosalina! Little Mac! Greninja! (Lands into water and turns into a paper boat) Palutena! (Boat sailing in day) Pac-Man! (Boat sailing at night) Robin! (Boat in day again) Once the buildup of the song is over, the song continues to the main tune, with gameplay on Tortimer Island. After the first 2 parts of the song, the music suddenly stops as if it were a screeching record player. The fighters have stopped what they were doing and are looking toward the edge of the island where they see a paper boat floating toward shore. One of the fighters, Mario, is peering over the dock at the flimsy boat. Suddenly, it jumps up out of the water and knocks Mario back toward the island, and as it unfolds... Paper Mario Folds into Battle!! The screen transitions to the S.S. Flavion where Paper Mario is simply jumping around, avoiding other fighters' attacks. When he slams his hammer into another player, the screen transforms into the WiiU stage, The Theater! Paper Mario is now ready to battle, and uses his many abilities and partners to aid him against the other enemies he faces. These scenes also show off the remaining 2 transformations on the 3DS stage, from both Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario, as well as a majority of his moves. Once Paper Mario defeats his enemies, his victory screen shows up with the Battle Victory fanfare music in the background. Fade into Paper Mario checking his Mailbox SP in Hither Thither Hill. A sausage hits him from the back of the head, interrupting his E-Mail checking. As he looks behind him, Mr. Game and Watch appears on screen and waves his flag above his head, while Paper Mario gives a thumbs up to the camera. Fade to black as they walk offscreen.
[/collapse]

Thanks to @SuperLittleTY for this "What if?" video featuring Paper Mario

------167------

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

@MegaMarioMan9, @ultimatekoopa, @Vickand, @Staarih, @Peterawr, @BridgesWithTurtles, @Rockaphin, @ Kenith Kenith , @Louie G., @ Themagnificentmoldy Themagnificentmoldy , @ Kevandre Kevandre , @Gingerbread Man, @ SpaceJell0 SpaceJell0 , @TewnLeenk, @ZeldaMaster, @Shalashaska, @mini paincakes, @Leafeon523, @Ultinarok, @darksamus77, @Takehiko, @Relax Alax, @Simensis, @JohnathanACE, @Rew, @Chandelure, @Lizardon, @LeeYawshee, @ToasterBrains, @Stalkos, @King Sonnn DeDeDoo, @XLIFE, @The21stSmasher , @Skyfox2000, @HugoBoss, @EgeDal, @Zzuxon, @StrangeTamer, @Snipe, @ Bedoop Bedoop , @~Krystal~, @CliffJumper, @ FalconSoup FalconSoup , @SolarKirby, @SuperBoshi, @AuraWielder, @ImaClubYou, @oGr33n, @Cobalsh, @Sonicguy726, @Oblivion129, @Zero Suit Wario, @UnicornDemon, @Con0rrrr, @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong , @God Robert's Cousin, @Ghirahilda, @Patwhit01, @Jubileus57, @StarLight42, @domokl, @Paper Maribro, @Shog, @Captain Soviet, @Bendezium Dweevil , @Bassoonist, @ThatWasPeachy, @KingofZeroX, @TechPowah, @Mr. KoopaTurtle, @Wazygoose, @Smashoperatingbuddy123, @Azure Warrior , @ fogbadge fogbadge , @TaichiYaegashi, @★Star™Kid★, @Ben Holt, @Bowserlick, @Wizela, @TCT~Phantom, @KiraYoshikage, @FinalStarmen, @Duck$mash, @sboles, @Flaxr XIII, @SA-Y, @Connery, @False Sense, @AEM, @tsvlink25, @Cpt. , @strawhatninja, @Ultra*HappyCharge, @Lucimar, @-Coco-, @LaughingLuigi, @SmashingObjection, @Squishyfrog, @Nintendotard, @GmanSir, @TheFearsomeRyan, @WayfaringElf, @Jeanne, @SS-bros14, @Crap-Zapper , @Pikablu Pikachu, @C3CC, @Gene, @Craxian, @Skides, @Geoffrey Druyts, @Jellybat, @Superyoshiom, @08skidoosh80, @RetroJake, @SchAlternate, @xzx, @Alex Night, @HyrulesLegend, @WritersBlah, @PikaSamus, @BandanaDee, @DukeNapoleon, @Kyro172, @Takebacker, @HyperiorV, @MazinroboX2, @CheckmateChuck , @BluePikmin11 , @JayTheUnseen, @Golden Sun, @MacSmitty , @MemoriesOfAChocobo , @FreddyOnDrugs, @ Creativion Creativion , @rabbit.soaring, @Cenizas, @Zodiacx10, @Kirbyfan391, @random rendum, @ZeldaFan01 , @Vino_ , @ DJDave189 DJDave189 , @ Zerp Zerp , @SimonBarSinister, @Smallgenie549, @XStarWarriorX, @Berrial, @Starphoenix, @Ristar94, @73V3N. @ThePenguinGamer0,
@Jdaster64, @flames7pardy, @FooltheFlames, @WeirdChillFever, @Equin0x, @Asian_Charizard, @SMX, @FancySmash, @sogeki, @Cloud_Dreamer, @JackerX, @ Metal Shop X Metal Shop X , @HyperFalcon, @Awesomedude4444, @ Yoshi-hara Yoshi-hara

Want to join him? Just asks in this thread!

Put those in your signatures if you support Paper Mario and spread the word!

Credits to @ Creativion Creativion for this one:

And @N30N for this one:

Those are just stuff from the series for your personal use.
[collapse=Font]
The font of the series is called "hey gorgeous" and it's publicly available to download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oe9592v4yycv3t/HeyGorgeous.ttf?dl=0 It's not a full font but it has most characters needed.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Text window]
Those are templates to use with the font above to write text on them. They were directly ripped from Paper Mario The Thousand-year Door so that they have the original feel like in the game.

If you see transparency in your window, that's where you should put the text. All the window that has them are made of one color so you just had to fill the rectangle with the box color (eyedropper tool). If not, you could still open a normal one, put your text on the zone and switch the normal to the one you desired. All the window are the exact dimensions and the zone is at the same place except for the small one for obvious reasons. If you don't like that, tell me and I'll remove the transparency if necessary. Don't hesitate to play with the font size and spacing for a clean effect.

Also, even though it's optional, here are the triangles used to point the person talking:

Normal widow:
(grey should be the layer under the window while the white one should be over it).

And the shadow queen window:
(same as the normal one but the black one is under and purple is ovner)

Both triangles for the window are on the same dimensions so just align them with tools and put them at the appropriate layer and link them to move both of the triangles wherever you want. Rotate if necessary.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Words]
Those are some very colorful and lovely texts images to use with your posts like positive comments or just for fun:

[/collapse]
[collapse=Inputs icons]
Those are icons to express buttons inputs. Could be useful for moveset presentation and the are cleaner than the one on the forums with more icons. Use the hold icons as hold inputs.

Unfortunately, the Dpad can't be used for all directions so I'll give the Dpad only:

[/collapse]

Special thanks to @Soul Blazer for originally making this thread.
I'm open to any suggestion about the OP just post your ideas in this thread.

Please add me to the supporters list. Paper Mario was one of my earliest introductions to RPG's which became my favorite type of game and it's a wonderful series. Here's my ballot vote for Paper Mario:

Thank you based E3 for giving a lot of material for a vote.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since E3 is done, I searched youtube every video of paper jam I could find and I added some in the playlist.

I completely made sure I looked through every search results.

this is the updated playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7HNrF1hqOEDL5NJqxX5bF6JiNP4Nr1V3

There's some slightly new stuff, but it's details. The bottom screen of the tittle screen has that book that we know nothing yet (seriously, this book seems dang mysterious.....how it got in peach castle? How luigi "knocked it"? TOO MUCH QUESTIONS!!!). The bottom screen of the quests features a map, but also a display of the modes. The second quest had jump and hammer, I suspect this to be a tactical feature, if true, this is a great replacement over the triggers especially because if you look closely, there's room for at least 3 modes that we have yet to see. The bottom screen of level up is just the rank meaning that I suspect the ranks from DT to be back.

Honestly, I think the game is quite far in dev, but there;s so little in the demo simply because it's just not ready. i think the demo was just to give a taste of the feel, but in reality, I think the game is much farther in dev than the demo might make it look, it's slated for Spring 2016, it should not be that early in dev. At least I expect the main ideas to be already planned which leaves me to think that I think we will get more info in the upcoming directs. I think DT got the same treatment.

Now, I hopw we get more direct audio with NWC because their footage showed a lot including the intro because we have yet to see the intro onscreen, everything we have is offscreen except the trailer.

also, they really gave him the letter P, even with the slap thing they use to slap a bomb.

Also, @ Bedoop Bedoop you kept wondering why he had orange as the color, I have a theory: design choices. It can;t be red and they want to make the difference between mario and paper mario clear. It at least needs to be close to red because that's his main color and it make sense because he is made of mario after all. I think it;s more a sweetspot that they chose orange, the same reason I think luigi couldn;t be playable, having all 4 buttons taken would be chaos tbh and also, one paper character sounds enough tbh.

And since I wrote my analysis, some stuff were found by me since then so, let me go through what I noticed.

The X button is indeed a replacement of pressing 3 buttons to jump making it the most convenient of M&L. The star points are the thing you need to use cards. Paper Mario has the P as its emblem which is really neat because they really want that we get it isn't mario with the m :)
The quest 3 (the stealth) has a world that is mostly influenced by paper mario, lots from sticker star, but some stuff are from TTYD such as one of the bridge. This is good stuff about sticker star so love that world design :) The block command is new and I think it came from paper mario making me wonder if the gameplay will receive more influence from paper mario.

That's all for now, will quote people as this new way of thinking Paper Mario as a character brought more users here.

Well it's seem that Paper Jam seem to bring good thing for Paper Mario inclusion! Hope we can see more in the futur. (Also i see SPM hate here.)
What there is to see now? Litterally, this game makes his inclusion so meaningful that the last thing to do is want him. He may not have gotten a game, but his role in paper jam does more than this (I mean, he ASKS to be called paper mario, he wants respect :) ). Sure, people can still argue about 'mario overrepping', but the fact that he already is seem different than mario will help people get that in the end, it's still an addition that is absent in ssb.

Seriously, I never expected to live this. When you think about it, this turned out to be better than what would happen if he got a new game, if it happened, I don't think he would get his name.

As for spm, you just have to unfortunately deal with it, it's actually not that common to love that game sadly.

Like, now, this is cool and all, but just the way paper mario is presented already implies so much in the future, the info we will get will do nothing but help.

Please add me to the supporters list. Paper Mario was one of my earliest introductions to RPG's which became my favorite type of game and it's a wonderful series. Here's my ballot vote for Paper Mario:

Thank you based E3 for giving a lot of material for a vote.
Why you quoted the entire OP? That OP is huge :)

You're added. Thanks for your support and vote. Altough, it's more than rpg in general. There's plenty of rpg rep in the game, it's more the way paper mario act as an rpg that is reflected here, it's just a distinct flavor, not a genre. Also, going to be frank, he already had much more material than that E3 gave. Very few moves would work because M&l tend to be very simple in battle with only one jump and one hammer unlike ttyd with like 10 action for each and that's not counting the partners. This E3 only gave a very well justified reason to vote that in reality existed already. It's just now more clear, that's all.

Like now, I might start to think do we keep the "just another mario" counterargument? It's just feels irrelevant now because the closest you could claim is his origin is from mario but he himself isn't mario. Even with this, the argument just doesn't work, the difference is even bigger than toon link because toon link is a a different way of reflecting link, toon link is link, it's just represented very differently. Paper mario is his own entity, it's not mario and it just doesn't work when you try to claim that he would be redundancy because his origin are from mario....

So, what should I do? Cut the counterargument entirely or give a VERY short explanation on its irrelevancy?

The "too much mario rep" will stay, but the explanation will focus more on how it just doesn't change that he's distinct to be an addition even in the mario repping and even if you consider the numbers, it just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My real question is;
Are we gonna see some badges in action for Paper Jam?

The M&L Series has badges (Albeit they're more passive, one-use-at-a-time as opposed to PM's All-the-Time) for the Bros., so I wouldn't 100% think that the badges won't happen

I'd love to see Anger Mario in action (Have a singular Attack Button, what attack Anger Mario does is up to the CPU, as well as the inputs [Specials don't count here] but you can still freely use items and run), or badges like Double Dip (2 Items, making Paper Mario great when the Bros. are down), Spike Guard (When Hammers just won't do), and especially the hammers (Hammer Throw x6. That is all.) that Paper Mario could exclusively use to his advantage, and maybe even Super and Ultra Hammers as unlockables for more Hammerin' action as well as the Super and Ultra Boots for more powerful jump

Just some ideas
The "too much mario rep" will stay, but the explanation will focus more on how it just doesn't change that he's distinct to be an addition even in the mario repping and even if you consider the numbers, it just doesn't work that way.
Yeah I think the whole "Repping" thing got tossed out the window with Ryu and Roy
:4pacman:

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I've slacked on my moveset idea for him for a while. I want to continue it but I have so much trouble with the aerial moves and I guessed I didn't make progress after that. Can I use your ideas?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Probably the only Mario rep I would let slide ((As long as they balance out the roster with other franchises for DLC too that is)), Because: Yes. Paper Mario is rather iconic in a way: ((definently more deserving than Geno will ever be)) Plus seeing how the games are still going to this day it actually makes sense to me honestly.

Plus I loved SPM

Last edited:
I dont know if anyones being sarcastic but if it was doctor mario vs paper mario than paper mario would have been a clone.

Doc only was upgraded from an alt because of extra time. Doc was a free chatacter :p
Paper mario would not have been and was thus not able to replace doc (as much as others would claim he would be a clone)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ah, I love when this is more active so I have more to say :)

Been playing dream team lately, but I think I'm done as I just have to be active for support now ;)

My real question is;
Are we gonna see some badges in action for Paper Jam?

The M&L Series has badges (Albeit they're more passive, one-use-at-a-time as opposed to PM's All-the-Time) for the Bros., so I wouldn't 100% think that the badges won't happen

I'd love to see Anger Mario in action (Have a singular Attack Button, what attack Anger Mario does is up to the CPU, as well as the inputs [Specials don't count here] but you can still freely use items and run), or badges like Double Dip (2 Items, making Paper Mario great when the Bros. are down), Spike Guard (When Hammers just won't do), and especially the hammers (Hammer Throw x6. That is all.) that Paper Mario could exclusively use to his advantage, and maybe even Super and Ultra Hammers as unlockables for more Hammerin' action as well as the Super and Ultra Boots for more powerful jump

Just some ideas

Yeah I think the whole "Repping" thing got tossed out the window with Ryu and Roy
the hammer would just be gear, I don't expect much.

And honestly same for badges, I REALLY don't expect paper mario implementation at all, I just think it would be weird in m&l.

Paper Mario is a much more unique and deserving character than Doctor Mario.
*sight*

ok, I get the point, Paper mario is way more unique and what he would rep should go over, true, it SEEMS to be a fair comparison, but it's just not.

dr mario was made when they had free time, is a clone so uses a spot instead of not having anything and is a veteran now.

Paper Mario would require additional time, a lot of effort because of not being a clone (it's like the total opposite) and you have to do it from scratch because he's not a veteran.

Priorities is just not that simple, both can be in the game at the same time, it just doesn't matter who got first.
I've slacked on my moveset idea for him for a while. I want to continue it but I have so much trouble with the aerial moves and I guessed I didn't make progress after that. Can I use your ideas?
Of course why do you think they are there in the place?

Aerials, just use ground pound, stylish or other ideas you might get. just don't bloat the moveset with hammers, some did that. It's not the hardest part of a set tbh.

Probably the only Mario rep I would let slide ((As long as they balance out the roster with other franchises for DLC too that is)), Because: Yes. Paper Mario is rather iconic in a way: ((definently more deserving than Geno will ever be)) Plus seeing how the games are still going to this day it actually makes sense to me honestly.

Plus I loved SPM
YAY!!!! SPM FTW!!!!

I actually think that game is underrated imo :)

But yeah, Paper jam and him asking the name for me set the way this character is iconic. It's just huge to have so much uniqueness shown in a series that isn't even paper mario. It indeed gives him the recognition of not being mario. I actually am considering changing the slogan here because with what happened recently, I'm more free to try other stuff in supporting :)

I dont know if anyones being sarcastic but if it was doctor mario vs paper mario than paper mario would have been a clone.

Doc only was upgraded from an alt because of extra time. Doc was a free chatacter :p
Paper mario would not have been and was thus not able to replace doc (as much as others would claim he would be a clone)
From my experience on this thread, no they aren't sarcastic, but it is an unfair comparison indeed.

Now, I honestly think it's likely that I would buy the game if we get enough paper mario stuff, playing dream team was quite fun but paper mario would add so much. So far, it's promising, but it's of course not complete, I can't wait to hear more!

Oh, and I actually watched so much footage lately, I have the battle theme in the head, it is quite catchy too :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I haven't played any of the Mario and Luigi games but I'm super hyped for Paper Jam!
Only thing I'm interested in from Nintendo's E3.
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I made a replacement from my previous signature. Can you guess one? :p

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im guessing keeping in line with mario & luigi tradition at the end of paper jam bros bowser and paper bowser will fuse

shane3x

Saint of Swords
*sight*

ok, I get the point, Paper mario is way more unique and what he would rep should go over, true, it SEEMS to be a fair comparison, but it's just not.

dr mario was made when they had free time, is a clone so uses a spot instead of not having anything and is a veteran now.

Paper Mario would require additional time, a lot of effort because of not being a clone (it's like the total opposite) and you have to do it from scratch because he's not a veteran.

Priorities is just not that simple, both can be in the game at the same time, it just doesn't matter who got first.
It's an insult to dr mario that he is a true clone and its an insult to us fans who never asked for him. The game doesn't benefit from him being in there except as false stuffing to make the game seem bigger. If the game launched with everyone but dr mario no-one would have been up in arms against why he wasn't there. Assuming Nintendo from the beginning wanted to make DLC characters even if it was the option to explore it then Dr Mario is just a waste of everyones time.

There are much more interesting true clones they could have used anyway.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I really don't understand why Doctor Mario isn't just an alternate costume.
Because Sakurai felt like making him a clone once more (Which takes alot less work than an actual character) would help make the roster just a little bit bigger (Same goes for Dark Pit and Lucina)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I haven't played any of the Mario and Luigi games but I'm super hyped for Paper Jam!
Only thing I'm interested in from Nintendo's E3.
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I made a replacement from my previous signature. Can you guess one? :p
Captain toad right?

:)

It's an insult to dr mario that he is a true clone and its an insult to us fans who never asked for him. The game doesn't benefit from him being in there except as false stuffing to make the game seem bigger. If the game launched with everyone but dr mario no-one would have been up in arms against why he wasn't there. Assuming Nintendo from the beginning wanted to make DLC characters even if it was the option to explore it then Dr Mario is just a waste of everyones time.

There are much more interesting true clones they could have used anyway.
first, there;s people that actually like dr mario and second, it's still not a really good comparison because both can be in the roster for completely different reasons that honestly aren't related to each other. We just got a crossover with mario and paper mario, there's no problem to have dr mario and paper mario.....

Because Sakurai felt like making him a clone once more (Which takes alot less work than an actual character) would help make the roster just a little bit bigger (Same goes for Dark Pit and Lucina)
^

Now, I'm just going to tell how I would change the OP. The description would be expanded, the chance section will too and the counterarguments is where it would have the most changes. I will heavily shorten the another mario argument and I will redo and possibly shorten the overrepping one. It's just way easier to explain something that is shown already :)

Just going to leave a detail that I noticed in Paper Jam, if you do an excellent on the trio racquet, the shot you do has a blue effect to it.

That effect is actually unique for Paper Mario:

Screenshot from 2015-06-21 22:21:54.png
Screenshot from 2015-06-21 22:22:41.png

SO MUCH DETAILS AND ARTSTYLE LOVE HERE :)

Also, you might have noticed, I changed my avatar for the hype :)

Top Bottom