• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
thanks for preventing this double post :)

that is weird....I never got any froze, maybe your gc or disc.

But think about it, isn't awesome to repeat battles?

For this game, it really is :) Also, I love Cortez, one of my favorite boss in the series (along with Fracktail in spm).

Now, here;s quite a big update on Tumblr.

First, check the blog now:

http://aldelaro5.tumblr.com/

Notice anything just fantastic?

Well, it has a neat body background image, but I mean even more fantastic.

THE FREAKING FONT!!!!!

yep, you don't need to install hey gorgeous locally to experience its....gorgeousness! It took me hours, but In finally figured out how to load from my dropbox the .ttf file so what you see is directly loaded from my dropbox :)

i also messed up with the CSS to have less padding for larger screens and it just makes the thing more compact.

But that's not the biggest news. Let me explain what happened.

This blog is the biggest Paper Mario blog on Tumblr:

http://helloyesthisispapermario.tumblr.com/

VERY popular blog about Paper Mario, gets lots of notes and more importantly, reblogs. I actually asked him if he was supporting the idea of Paper Mario in ssb4 and he responded no while saying despite loving the series, he would prefer Daisy. So, I just let it passed but realised I jsut needed folowers and the thing is, I recorded 94 videos of TTYD in dolphin to get gif. Now, something happened that you mgiht be shocked, but this stylish! truly exists int he game:

After a tronado jump, i know, this Stylish is epic for smash, btu I of course went ahead and posted it. It didn't received much notes so, I tried to submit that gif to the Paper Mario blog which he approved.

It's crazy. That post got 400 notes in a day. I never achieved 100 so far, it's just was a big source for me to follow people. But I said to myself that if that blog was this popular and he would promote my stuff, I would get everything. So, I tried and asked him if he was at least ok to link and reblog my stuff because, well, my stuff are about paper Mario and even if he doesn't like the ideas, lots of his followers might. With him agreeing, he accepted linked to my blog and got some stuff mainly followers.

However, the next day (so, today)....I freaked out. My note counter went from below 400 to 430....that;s like 30-40 notes, this is insane because I last checked them before going to sleep. In 9 hours, to get that much notes is crazy. After checking my notes list, i got why, the Paper Mario blog actually reblogued my palette swap and it got 100 notes total which means it increased by 30.....wow. I also got some followers in the process.

So, I had the idea to reblog my stage idea post because it was popular and I had more followers.....I got several likes seconds after I posted it....

look, I have 109 followers.....109, that's a lot. I got that an average blog actually could take a year to get 100, but because I was TRYING to get them, I got them in a week.

I still have to announce the 100 followers mark on the blog and remember, I have 94 videos ready to be gifed like the gif above. The next weeks will be crazy. it just happens that I won't have much college works at the moment (just a paper I need to write today), so, expect the madness to start tonight :)

btw, the new theme I got allow MUCH better flexibility in the CSS. I can do a lot if I have time, but not now. :)
Oh, this is after a Tornado Jump? I knew about that one, I thought this was after missing a jump due to dodginess/repel. :p

The Tumblr's pretty cool, though, wish I could give it more of a signal boost. Incidentally, I voted for Paper Mario day one, I've been a supporter since pre-Brawl.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Things are looking pretty damn good for Paper Mario!! voted for him and the chorus kids, I'll be just as happy if either of them get in. Here's to hoping!!
OMG, your sig is just awesome!

Dude, could you please allow me to crop that Paper Mario icon and put it in the OP with you as credits?

I'm serious, the idea is simple, yet, genius :)

So, anyway, welcome....ah, let me do it properly :)

welcome!.png

thumbs up.gif

^Just made that gif, use it if you want to show that you like something :)

Things aren't just good in chances but also in the support because....if you haven't checked it, I made a Tumblr :)

Even the font is gorgoeus :)

I have 129 followers and 723 notes total. I'm currently making a batc of GIF of his moves so it could help to show his movesets in simple files.

Some

big backflip stylish.gif

And art attack :)

We know these moves, but it gives a
appeal to them with visuals :)

I have to do every appeals, every jumps, every hammers and of course, every partners move.

In the mean time, i will add your name on supporters and groups and sleep:

Ok, I'm starting to develop an addiction to gif now :)

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
OMG, your sig is just awesome!

Dude, could you please allow me to crop that Paper Mario icon and put it in the OP with you as credits?

I'm serious, the idea is simple, yet, genius :)

So, anyway, welcome....ah, let me do it properly :)

View attachment 47419

View attachment 47420

^Just made that gif, use it if you want to show that you like something :)

Things aren't just good in chances but also in the support because....if you haven't checked it, I made a Tumblr :)

Even the font is gorgoeus :)

I have 129 followers and 723 notes total. I'm currently making a batc of GIF of his moves so it could help to show his movesets in simple files.

Some

View attachment 47421

And art attack :)

We know these moves, but it gives a
appeal to them with visuals :)

I have to do every appeals, every jumps, every hammers and of course, every partners move.

In the mean time, i will add your name on supporters and groups and sleep:

Ok, I'm starting to develop an addiction to gif now :)
Haha, I'm pretty sure already on the supporter list, I made some posts a couple months back. But yeah, I have no problem with you using that part of the sig! TTYD is my favorite game of all time, so it'd be a dream come true to see him in the game, and people seem to be voting for him a lot.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok, so, yesterday, I got that....he might have more chance than I think he has.

But let me do replies

Paper Mario for life, my frontrunner
Hey! welcome to the boards :)

You know, if you ever want to talk about his awesomeness here, feel free to (also on the group which I invinted you already).

Thanks for support :)

Haha, I'm pretty sure already on the supporter list, I made some posts a couple months back. But yeah, I have no problem with you using that part of the sig! TTYD is my favorite game of all time, so it'd be a dream come true to see him in the game, and people seem to be voting for him a lot.
i completely forgot so your name was duplicated for some days, but it`s fixed since yesterday. Also, thanks, I`ll be sure to have the icon in the OP :)

But now on he gets lots of votes.....this is my main point: he does.

and I mean I looked at the polls and generally, it was decent, but not the best.

However, relatively....it`s insanely good for him.

I've always said that he was mostly top 10, not top 5. I never saw him top 5, didn`t expected it and I don`t even think it would happem.

The problem is that it's actually false, he was top 5 all this time.

Yesterday, the poll on reddit that we know got boated got the results released.....and they were unboated:

http://nm.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32mcez/final_results_the_smash_bros_dlc_reddit_survey_is/

13k people on reddit.

Now, I know you will look at this and say that it doesn`t make any sense....but it actually does. If BK is that high, that`s because of uneccessary hype that happened lately. Same for shovel knight, we know it has been uneccessarily hyped about. Wolf being that low is just because everyone expects him which kinda make sense, but is ironic.

Overall these results are just accurate, but there's something weird about them....

Paper Mario is 7th which is the first time I saw this.

Now, according to some people in the character thread, if you checked the votes, they made sense except for the boat waves. What this means is that we shouldn`t say it's untrusted, but it still has stuff that is weird which is when I'm coming to.

We can clearly see there's useless data. BK, we know is just not going to happen because even if Sakurai would want to, you first has to deal with MS which is already seemingly impossible for me, but remember guys, rare is pretty much dead. It's really a totally different problem because he's third party. I know it's sad, but I think it make sense to say that he shouldn't be considered in this position in the poll. The poll only tells popularity ONLY.

You have to merge these reaults with stuff like chances and the character itself in smash.

But then, you would come to somethinglike eliminating these:

banjo kazooie
shovel knight
bayonetta
and maybe snake, but imo, he`s so unlikely.

What this means is that if you remove these, Paper Mario is 4th or 3th, but what's more impressive is KKR and isaac are the only one that tops him and they ARE considered popular already.

So, that sounds awesome right?

it's even more.

In the OP, I linked the @ PushDustIn PushDustIn polls (btw, push, there's a reason I tag you, I would need your take further in this post). These were made before the direct, but here they are:

JP: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

rest of the world (but mostly America): https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/smash-poll-smash-dlc-results/

So, top 10....yeah, but that's because the polls are again ONLY showing popularity.

Take the JP polls, there's a lot of these that we can safely remove:

of course lucas for vey obvious reasons.

maybe snake (I would imo)
ice climbers because it's just implied to not happen and the fact it was explicitly said why, I would be ready to cut them out of the poll.
I would keep roy because it just might happen.
pichu is obviously not going to happen like seriosuly.
remove ridley because it's even worse than ice clinbers here.
dixie is interesting. I don't think most would see both kkr and dixie....but because kkr is over, I would be ready to say to keep kkr of course, but that would imply to cut dixe. The opposite being true, it wouldn`t change, but for the sake of the poll, I would cut dixie here.

Paper Mario is now 5th.....and that's assuming you consider crystal as a chance, but I kept her just in case.

again, the poll makes sense with 2 vets and 2 newcomer one being known to be popular, kkr. It's known that isaac situation is different in JP.

So, what can we conclude out of this?

He's still not top 5 in PURE popularity, but he is relatively to those who would be there. What I mean is that I onyl left characters that logically has a reasonable chance (and I again consider crystal is minimal, it`s still present). I do this because it's like a poll with goku winning.....it's just not to be taken as is because it just doesn't change the invalidity of him. Even though, all these are technically valid, some has chances too low.

Now, if we check the other poll, we could remove:

ice climber
lucas of course
snake
rayman is just no, you really have to be worth it to be in third party and the problem is that if it took pac man, mega man or sonic, it's just not the same standard. imo, if there was one I could think of, it would be BK, but the problem is what happened after MS boguht rare....yeah I really don't think any third parties are likely now tbh (even snake chances got quite down a bit).
BK
bayonetta and bomberman for the same reasons....it's jsut nto the standard a third party would be worth the effort to have it.
midna is AT, we can be sure it's very unlikely (even if you add the wolf, it's just not likely).
ridley for already told reasons.

Paper Mario is now 5th....again, below kkr, isaac and vets.

I think you see where I'm going, the polls all had biased in it because it was pure want. The pure want is just not telling the full story because if a character very unlikely for logical reaosons is very popular, it's just not going to change. Shovel knight got hyped but it doesn't change how unlikely he is.

Now, this is were @ PushDustIn PushDustIn I would need your takes.

You said yesterday this on the character thread:

@SmashChu wrote a great piece on why unknown characters in a particular reason would economically be a bad choice for Smash DLC. Please read it, he makes a lot of great points.

Essentially, I don't think a character unknown in Japan (Like Shovel Knight is) nor a character that doesn't have actually popularity outside of Smash forums can make it as DLC. I almost think Paper Mario may have a higher chance than King K. Rool just because of his general popularity (Though I think it's highly likely that King K. Rool will Rule the Battle). For 3rd party characters, I think they have to be really important. Indie games marketplace is not as big as a thing as it is in the West. Japanese Wii U eShop got games from 2012 in the latest direct.
Ignore the first part, that was answering to someone, unrelated to my point.

Now, when I read this I was like thinking "wait, are you crazy?" because I just got for very good reasons that Paper Mario doesn't come even close to kkr. If most people would have the choice between the 2, I would expect most to pick kkr and it's just obvious for me. But as a standalone withotu even considering the other?

I would still think his chances aren`t THAT good.

But now that I checked the poll and tried to clean them....I see the opposite. he's actually closer than expected to kkr and I knew for isaac being about the same, but kkr is another story. There's far more going for him, it just makes sense kkr is always top 3.
So, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn , my big question is:

What EXACTLY did you meant by "I almost think Paper Mario may have a higher chance than King K. Rool just because of his general popularity (Though I think it's highly likely that King K. Rool will Rule the Battle)."?

I'm serious, I'm the most biased person on Paper Mario on the whole site and I was thinking it was just a miracle if this was the truth.

Because the implication of him being realively top 5 is huge. it means that he could EVEN be considered "likely" which is something that feels extremely weird to admit.....

As for other things, the blog is still going well, I made a post with the TTYD pretty words images....it has like 160 notes, it's crazy :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
King K Rool is widely known and supported by the hardcore Smash community (people who go out and post on sites about Smash regularly). I think he has low recongition among the non hardcore Smash community, as he hasn't been featured in the new Dk games. However because of his international support, I still believe he'll get in (I think in Rate Their Chances I said 60-70 percent).

With Paper Mario he doesn't have as much hardcore support as King K. Rool, but by being Mario he is highly reconizable outside of the hardcore community. Like King K Rool his support seems to be international. However, he still has issues of being another Mario (despite potentially playing very differently). Though with Roy being found in the newest update, I don't know anymore. Number wise I'd personally place King K Rool and Paper Mario around the same percent.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
King K Rool is widely known and supported by the hardcore Smash community (people who go out and post on sites about Smash regularly). I think he has low recongition among the non hardcore Smash community, as he hasn't been featured in the new Dk games. However because of his international support, I still believe he'll get in (I think in Rate Their Chances I said 60-70 percent).

With Paper Mario he doesn't have as much hardcore support as King K. Rool, but by being Mario he is highly reconizable outside of the hardcore community. Like King K Rool his support seems to be international. However, he still has issues of being another Mario (despite potentially playing very differently). Though with Roy being found in the newest update, I don't know anymore. Number wise I'd personally place King K Rool and Paper Mario around the same percent.
oh....ok, now I see why and not only it is quite shocking to admit that it's the truth, but there's one thing I noticed in the polls.

Do you know why every single time you released results, a trusted poll came or just seeing talks of it that I was ALWAYS seemingly surprised?

For the exact reason you mentioned:

However, he still has issues of being another Mario
This affects support and popularity in smash directly. Because of how popular the argument is, I didn't even expected him to be considered likely and more hoping than actual considerable possibility.

The problem is that if it was truly the case, these polls would be very fishy.

To come relatively at top 5 means that if it was truly an issue, it's not a big one. See, Paper Mario HIMSELF can be very popular and this wouldn't affect him, but the polls was very clear that they all talked IN SMASH CONTEXT where the arguments above could apply. Look, i remember one of the short poll a long time ago and I was surprised that he was relatively top 10. I was even surprised he was top 10 because if people would really think it's an issue, people would simply skip the vote. But what I'm seeing is the opposite because I can honestly conclude with these polls that people want him enough to be considered very requested.

In fact, think about it, being close to Isaac and kkr is actually the whole contradiction itself. kkr and isaac both don't have the issue and they just have everything Paper Mario has, but even more. Support is the most obvious one as well as popularity, it's clear for me that kkr has more chances, but the fact that you could even COMPARE the chances to Paper Mario is something that tells me that people wouldn't care AS MUCH AS I would think they do.

I'm just analysing what happens relatively and I feel with these polls that people aren't bothered as much as it might seem to this issue. Which is weird because reddit gave him above average popularity and for Tumblr, I have yet to see particularily vocal arguments like these. There's some, but it's like they complain about overrepping in general....that's not relevant.

Maybe it's the stage, but I feel that people became way more aware of his potential. I just feel something happened because I remember that before, I was googling lots of stuff and it was quite mixed. Now, I pretty much feel there's less presence of these...maybe the support INCREASED?

I never got it, but let's just say that the one thing that these polls tells me is that if these are REALLY pure want in smash context, him being mario isn't much of an issue....and like you said, it's actually an ADVANTAGE for him....

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, I should bump this because there's actually a lot of people that don't talk much and I just wondering what's going on.

@ FalconSoup FalconSoup are you8 still going to do support videos?

@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 did you actually voted for him after all?

@ ThePenguinGamer0 ThePenguinGamer0 tbh, no one tried and implemented the dimmension flip because unless it's for dodging, I really wonder how he could use it. It's not soemthing that I think fits in smash as smash only moves in 2d stage....the 3d is the visuals.

@Ristar94 here's A FREAKING TON of gif for doing a moveset video: http://imgur.com/a/uj2o6 If you want more, jsut ask!

@ Creativion Creativion how's your moveset idea going?

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 now that you should have a better idea on how partners are used, did your opinion on their place in his moveset changed?

I'm sorry if I tag a lot, but it just stalled while I thoguht you would think about it :(

Anyway, the point I was trying to make with what push said is that he's just likely. I would actually put him right after kkr and wolf. He has the same advantage as kkr but to a lesser degree. His con being another mario is cancelled a bit by its popularity jsut like kkr lack of recency is cancelled by his popularity.

In other words, I think his chances are really underrated.

Especially considering the recent data discovery....they are clearly ambitious enough to leave a place for him.

As for the tumblr, 'm still trying, but it;s really inconsistent. I posted the pretty TTYD words and it got 3k notes and the movesets posts has way more trouble. It might took time to figure it out, but it might happen eventually. I actually explained my subset logic for the first time :)

Now, I actually asked a question on tubmlr that got some divised answer:

Voice or sfx or a mix?

Because voice requires voice actor, but sfx are quite fun to hear considering pm64 and spm has a lot. Also, the games has excellent sfx notably the stepping sounds :)

What do you think he should have?

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
@ Creativion Creativion how's your moveset idea going?
It's good, but it's sort of tough because I'm using a lot of inspiration from games, so when I work on it I watch videos or going on Mario wikis to see what he can do. I've finished most of it too! I'll make the inspiration video as well but it's going to have to be clips from other people's videos since I can't record the game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's good, but it's sort of tough because I'm using a lot of inspiration from games, so when I work on it I watch videos or going on Mario wikis to see what he can do. I've finished most of it too! I'll make the inspiration video as well but it's going to have to be clips from other people's videos since I can't record the game.
I posted a gif album, please do not take video footage because the quality is awful:

http://imgur.com/a/uj2o6

not everything is there, but if you absolutely want stuff, please tell me :)

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It changed quite a bit, though if were going on a more partner based route, it should be based on the characters from the original Paper Mario.
Why exactly?

Because there's a lot of partners that are from TTYD that just acts the same way. In fact, most do.
Someone even made a
idea of having the partner random from TTYD or pm64 withotu changing the attacks.

Would that be a better compromise?

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
@ ThePenguinGamer0 ThePenguinGamer0 tbh, no one tried and implemented the dimmension flip because unless it's for dodging, I really wonder how he could use it. It's not soemthing that I think fits in smash as smash only moves in 2d stage....the 3d is the visuals.
He wouldn't actually flip dimensions, though. It would work like Zelda's warp. The dimension flipping part would just be a visual effect.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Now, I actually asked a question on tubmlr that got some divised answer:

Voice or sfx or a mix?

Because voice requires voice actor, but sfx are quite fun to hear considering pm64 and spm has a lot. Also, the games has excellent sfx notably the stepping sounds :)

What do you think he should have?
I wouldn't mind a grunt here and there and a couple of others. Kinda like what TTYD did.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 did you actually voted for him after all?
I had voted for Ridley before (yeah he's not gonna happen but I want Sakurai to notice that Ridley has lots of fans) and heard some people saying that voting again overwrites your previous vote. But I guess I could sacrifice my vote for Ridley, it's not like I'm gonna be the only one to vote for him.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I had voted for Ridley before (yeah he's not gonna happen but I want Sakurai to notice that Ridley has lots of fans) and heard some people saying that voting again overwrites your previous vote. But I guess I could sacrifice my vote for Ridley, it's not like I'm gonna be the only one to vote for him.
All thing you heard about overwriting isn't true, you actually should vote again.

What I got is it's simply a recommendation. The truth is, if you really want both, then just vote for both. I only voted for Paper Mario because he's just the only one I really really want. I'm neutral on everyone else.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
All thing you heard about overwriting isn't true, you actually should vote again.

What I got is it's simply a recommendation. The truth is, if you really want both, then just vote for both. I only voted for Paper Mario because he's just the only one I really really want. I'm neutral on everyone else.
Okay then, I'll vote for him now. :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Why exactly?

Because there's a lot of partners that are from TTYD that just acts the same way. In fact, most do.
Someone even made a
idea of having the partner random from TTYD or pm64 withotu changing the attacks.

Would that be a better compromise?
I just think that generic partners would suit better.
The partners in Thousand Year Door deserve more than become meat shields or attacks for Paper Mario.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just think that generic partners would suit better.
The partners in Thousand Year Door deserve more than become meat shields or attacks for Paper Mario.
euh.....I'm confused.

You said the partners should be more based on pm64 and you just said that the TTYD one deserves to be moves.....I don't get it.

Do you mean TTYD should be fixed moves and pm64 being the one implemented in switchable one?

Seriously, I'm so confused because if you meant more generic partners, this actually means the pixls are b etter suited because they are more generic, but the thing is, with how simplified they are, I tend to see the pixls more often in fixed moves and the partners being a mix between pm64 and TTYD.

Could you please clarify what would be ideal for you?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd like both, but I think this is where custom moves come into Paper Mario's moveset. Just my personal opinion. I love both sets of partners, the Pixls were a disappointment for me but should be somewhere in his moveset. It's still potential that could be used.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I really can't pinpoint my reasoning, but something about using the partners from 64 seems to be the better suggestion to me.
I suggest you think qabout it because unless I missed your point, I think you almost contradicted yourself.

The reason I tend to mix both pm64 and TTYD is simply because of how similar both games are. If you want to use Kooper, koops is almost the same honestly. Same for Bombette and Bobbery, it`s fiunationally the same, but yoiu could alter the way they works via customs....except it has now became very unlikely that he would have customs.

I mean, you said pm64 should have more partners, but you said TTYD deserves to be moves which actually mean that you basically want a mix of both.....

Which is what just confuses me....I mean, there has to be a reaons you said both game should have moves right?

EDIT:

I'd like both, but I think this is where custom moves come into Paper Mario's moveset. Just my personal opinion. I love both sets of partners, the Pixls were a disappointment for me but should be somewhere in his moveset. It's still potential that could be used.
Unfortunately, don`t expect customs anymore.....very unlikely to happen, you would basically have to choose.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Bump that 156 to 157 by adding me to the list as well! ^_^

I think Paper Mario would make a great addition to Smash and be the perfect friend for Mr. Game & Watch! :grin:
If he's done right, his moveset could be very unique and not at all clonish like some without the experience of playing a Paper Mario game falsely believe...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Dang it, I can't find a GIF of the Spin Dash(Z button in Paper Mario). I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but it would work PERFECTLY for Paper Mario's roll in Smash. Here's a still picture of the move I'm referring to if anyone here is still unsure:

EDIT: Just one of the options Paper Mario could do from the first game that I found fitting for that role. This could also be his Dash Attack as well. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Read after the replies for a neat post :)

Dang it, I can't find a GIF of the Spin Dash(Z button in Paper Mario). I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but it would work PERFECTLY for Paper Mario's roll in Smash. Here's a still picture of the move I'm referring to if anyone here is still unsure:

EDIT: Just one of the options Paper Mario could do from the first game that I found fitting for that role. This could also be his Dash Attack as well. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Thanks for at least editing the message :evil:

Jokes aside, I might try to gif it soon, if pj64 can work on wine, it'll be easy to do it.

It's just the best dash I ever saw :)

Hello I like Paper Mario. (Figured you would too)

Moveset ideas.
Flipping open one of the PM64 secret panels with the hammer. :4iggy:
You're not the first one that mentioned this, but this idea is quite rare, it's still sound awesome. It just seems to silly to do (I just imagine foes getting turned by this :) ) and it also reps both the hammer and something that is a
reference. The only thing is I never found you would integrate in the moveset to not remove something I would want more :(

Cool idea though :)

So, guys, we are as of this post on April 23....

You may not know this but it the fate I became op of this thread last year....

IT HAS BEEN A FULL YEAR SINCE I LEAD THIS THREAD!!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

And I really can't believe I'm still there. You know, becoming OP of the thread bring me a lot more motivations. Not only to be active on this site, but to also love Paper Mario even more. I remember before release, I was hyped every time someone submitted a moveset because there was most of the time awesome ideas.

This support stuff went through a lot and I just want to tell that I hope it will have lots of future events, we can still hope:

Now, I want to update the tumblr stuff, I didn't in a while

The blog username and url has now changed:

http://paper-mario-for-ssb4.tumblr.com/

It makes it more obvious and I got a lot of follows with these, btw, 216 followers.

Now, I lately had other stuff to think about so unfortunately, I don't have much to say except that moveset idea of the panel...that's awesome :)

I will however gif the spin dash and I MAY try to stufy the spm roms files. You notice nothing spm is much present right? yeah, that game being underrated, it's long overdue that I share its love too.

ON TO A BRIGHT FUTURE :)

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
You can put me on that list of paper mario supporters. I immeditately saw paper Mario's potential as a Smash 4 character and had some of the same ideas as are already in the OP. As an original thought, I'd love to have Paper mario'd companions affect at least one of his specials and possibly be swappable like Shulk's Monado Arts.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You can put me on that list of paper mario supporters. I immeditately saw paper Mario's potential as a Smash 4 character and had some of the same ideas as are already in the OP. As an original thought, I'd love to have Paper mario'd companions affect at least one of his specials and possibly be swappable like Shulk's Monado Arts.
Tbh, that's the most popular idea, but for a very good reason: it just reps something you would do wuite often in his game AND it just sounds cool :)

Now, as for a shulk thing.....this can lead to complication with his possible playstyle. shulk switch is very quick, but I'm questionning if it should have lags. Because I can understand why the shulk is quick, it doesn't chnage any moves, it doesn't change any attacks, it changes how you would use them. So, the balance here would of course be done within his different modes.

But Paper Mario is not really the same. I see the balance to be on the availability of the options. It's like in his game, you need to waste one of your 2 turns to switch which does hinder you for the reward of having that option available that SHOULD be more suited. Someone made an fp gimmick with this idea and it was basically you're dependant on trying to do a move to get fp, but more fp would give attack options. Though, the only thing I might see that doesn't work is he should at least do something if there was no fp, but that's another thing.

The point is, unless you do a nerf elsewhere in their moves, I have a bit of a trouble to see it as quick as shulk. However, taking only one if his special is imo the best compromise. I think some people wanted to use 3 of them and reserve the last for the switch, but I think it would overdo it considering you could have superguard and a better recovery. As for fixed moves.....it again feels to overdo it because I just don't think they belong to stuff like aerials. I mean, he can do aerials himself. Maybe barry, but I see him more as a shield.

I mean, I understand some people don't want to overdo the partner, but I honestly can't imagine he wouldn't be using them and especially the specials.

So, on another subject, there's a new template of text window in the OP:

Yep, the spm text window :)

Feel free now to express your Paper Mario-ness in cubic design :)

I need to study more spm though, but this was the first thing I wanted to do :)

Now, there is one thing that he can do a lot, but it's just for the lols: effects. Even if you use a voice, there has to have some sounds effects. For example, the counce from TTYD/SPM on an enemy.

But there's also the visuals effects. A good thing for him is that ssb4 seems to love these as there's lots of them.

Some ideas:

• The smok when he runs (it's just cute :) )
  • little stars when he hits someone (i had the idea to reserve the damage coutner for the final smash only because it would be a problem if it was everywhere :) ).
  • On power bounce, have the crescendo sfx upon the bounces and here, I think the words could fit :)
  • The crowd I think a lot can be done. Because seriously, I think you can even strech this in a gimmick. In all his games except spm, he fights on a sort of stages and on both TTYD and spm, there's crowd. What I think could be done is having stuff like cheering when he do the appeal taunt or applaud on the thumbs up and stuff. Or you could simply reserve that with the theater, but I think it worths to do it everywhere becasue so far, the crowd isn't much affected by any characters in particular. This sounds new and interesting to me.
  • Stamina death HAS to be the either TTYD or pm64 death. considering it's in slow mo, I think TTYD would fit a bit more.
  • Idle could be him playing with tippi?
Anyway, I jsut did a non exhaustive list, but there's lots of ideas out there. I might share some on Tumblr, but I think you can do a lot, I mean geez, he's Paper Mario, he has to be gorgeous :)

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
Please add me to the support list, I've voted for him on the smash ballot! The 64 version was the 1st video game I've ever played in my life. This series is so special and dear to my heart, if paper mario gets in I'd shed tears of joy. :bee:

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Geez! I've missed out on so much. I really need to keep my activity in check. Other than that, it's great to see so much support growing in the past time! I hope it continues. :)
no such file name or directory

What is that directory?

Also, it does starts to get some reblogs and likes.....we'll see how it will grow, I have so much to put in there :)
Sorry for the terribly late response. Whoops. I meant direct link to the page. I see you changed the name, so I'll update the link. Besides that, yes! I'm actually working on that video alongside another Smash video. I want to make sure I address all of the important stuff and don't make it bad. The last thing I want to do is add fuel to those who are against the character. Maybe I'll post the script here sometime or something. :p
I plan on finishing it before the end of next month. I have some tests and projects coming up soon, so it may take a while, but I've been fairly productive these past days, so I should be fine. I just need to keep up my motivation! :laugh:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Please add me to the support list, I've voted for him on the smash ballot! The 64 version was the 1st video game I've ever played in my life. This series is so special and dear to my heart, if paper mario gets in I'd shed tears of joy. :bee:
Hope you possibly reenjoy pm64 tomorrow :)

And I actually did played pm64 as one of the first game ever, but ironically, I didn't like it, I couldn't get how rpg worked :)

And I love it today :)

We all will my friend.

Soon...
:demon:
i seriously wonder why you haven't posted this:

:)

Geez! I've missed out on so much. I really need to keep my activity in check. Other than that, it's great to see so much support growing in the past time! I hope it continues. :)

Sorry for the terribly late response. Whoops. I meant direct link to the page. I see you changed the name, so I'll update the link. Besides that, yes! I'm actually working on that video alongside another Smash video. I want to make sure I address all of the important stuff and don't make it bad. The last thing I want to do is add fuel to those who are against the character. Maybe I'll post the script here sometime or something. :p
I plan on finishing it before the end of next month. I have some tests and projects coming up soon, so it may take a while, but I've been fairly productive these past days, so I should be fine. I just need to keep up my motivation! :laugh:

Also, just a reminder, you might want to have stuff from this imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/uj2o6

And just a thing about the counterarguments, I just want to point this out because even though the OP does it, it's not obvious what you should and shouldn't say.

What I mean by this you pretty much have to expect the comments to say "another mario" , you just cannot skip this. However, the reply you would give can either not do nothing or it might make sense to a lot of people.

Basically, DO NOT try to emphase on him not just being another mario. You should be emphasing on him being mario because we got it's an advantage for him. So, please, don't tell right away the potential because the reason the argument is told is much higher level than this....it's about repping which is always before the potential.

What you should be doing is explain that if someone says he's another mario, he's saying the truth, but the context the argument is used isn't much valid since it implies that Paper Mario would only rep himself. We all don't want paper mario, we all want him to be the delegate of his subset (not subseries) and his playstyle would reflect that subset. DO NOT use series and subseries here because IT IS NOT BASED ON THESE. it is based on the subset itself, the world of a character, his surrounding and pretty much anything related to him specifically which CAN differ from the series/subseries (G&W doesn't even exist in any series).

Now, you would basically tell that the subset includes Paper Mario, but much more than just him. He's just reflecting the subset because we can identify to the character being that subset. Binging my rosalina example is a good one, she's not in the game to just be rosaloina, she's there to reflect the galaxy subset (not subseries) of mario. it makes the repping more complete and considering that subset had high praise, it was well worth it.

You simply make that analogy that Paper Mario is the same thing. He would be the package label, he's included, but he's not everything.

Than you could state the importance of the subset and conclude to say that in the end, it's not redundancy, it's an addition.

And THEN you can go wiggity wiggle on the movesets and stuff.

I honestly advise if you are going to do counters, do them before the movesets. The reason for it is if people see the subset before, they still have in mind it's useless because it's another mario. Ypou will be surprised of the number of people that love his series and still have the series logic in mind. i would HIGY empahse on this because the clone belief is actually very unpopular. You can point it out, but honestly, I saw that belief decrease a lot. For that, just talk about potential is enough, even the G&W thing can be countered by just the potential.

Hope it goes well :)

Ok, now that we are talking about support spread, I have an awesome news: reddit is indeed by far the safest place to support him.

I signed in 2 days ago because i got that tumblr will not be enough and I heard that reddit wants him a lot. I eventually got how confusing it is, but I found 2 subreddit to support: the papermario and SSB4. The ssb one doesn't allow this only in an inactive thread....not much to gain here.

the ssb4 one is actually decent. i linked the thread with movesets stuff (not even counters, just moveset, it was a test post) and I did got another mario reply which I countered, it got more upvotes and I got replied by someone saying it was well said. also, the op is 86% upvoted at 10 meaning it was a conclusive test :)

But the papermario one.....geez, guys, if you have reddit, please consider using it. I made a very similar post and it got like 14 upvote (100%) and I got the day I posted it a partial moveset on specials only as well as a very complete critic on my movesets. It has also got lots of positive comments.

Basoically, I think I found something to start. I have been seeking since forever to try to find a safe place to support, I think oi found it. To get a partial moveset here takes weeks and days in good speculation environemnt while it actually took me some hours after I created the thread.

So, I'm DEFINETELY going to use reddit more, but the thing is it's very confusing. I just am scared everytime I would post because it is not as active as I would expect, but I don't want to spam nor do too much. If someone uses reddit frequently here, that would really help me how it usually goes on. Like, is it fine to create several threads in a week about distinctive subjects even if you only posts threads lately? Can I fragment my movesets ideas without looking like a spammer? Should I only stick to one thread? When to revive a thread?

I really have no idea and It's annoying, but what I know is I HAVE to go there since the potential is so big.

Anyway, as you can see, I don't reply much here to optimise visibility of the thread (the others are so much active), but i still am working hard to support spreading :)

Last edited:

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
aldelaro5 I still have the game cartridge for the 64 and even on the wii vc, but yeah I'll definitely pick up again just because I love this series so much!

On a side note, I've convinced most of my friends to vote paper mario on the ballot, heck some of them don't even play smash lol :p

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario was released on Wii U VC yesterday.

That game brings back so many memories and was the game to start the magnificent series. Unless you count Super Mario RPG, but that's a different story.

Anyway. . .

I plan on playing through the game again, and love every second of it!

By the way, I haven't showed anyone outside of the Skype group, but I made this a couple of months ago:

Sorry for the potato quality, but here's my second custom Amiibo!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Paper Mario... Someone punches this guy, he'll fly away. If that fan on the Paper Mario stage in SSB4 3DS blows, he'll fly away. Someone takes a Mushroom and becomes big, he can grab Paper Mario and turn him into a paper ball. Owch!

Hehe, just kidding. Wouldn't mind if this guy makes his way in. And also, the Paper Mario 64 game made it to VC yesterday.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, so THIS VERSION IS AWESOME!!!!!

First, THEY FIXED THE LAG YAY!!!!!!!!

So, if you hsve the wii version, please buy the wiiu one....it's objectively superior. It runs AS FAST AS the n64 version, the only difference is you can't hold the cartbridge.

The input mapping is godlike. You seriously need to play this with a wiiu pro controller and map the c buttons to actual buttons....it'a so good!

THERE'S FINALLY A PROPER MIIVERSE!!!! I think I'm going to post a lot there.

YOU CAN FINALLY HAVE A BROWSER OPENED!!!!!

Guys, this is the best version of pm64 ever. It's just exactly like the n64.

Doing a bp run now :)

Paper Mario... Someone punches this guy, he'll fly away. If that fan on the Paper Mario stage in SSB4 3DS blows, he'll fly away. Someone takes a Mushroom and becomes big, he can grab Paper Mario and turn him into a paper ball. Owch!

Hehe, just kidding. Wouldn't mind if this guy makes his way in. And also, the Paper Mario 64 game made it to VC yesterday.
The paper is very sharp....don't underestimate him :)

btw, do I add you to the supporter list or you're just neutral?

Top Bottom