• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Expanded my moveset. It's still a work in progress.

Standard special move: Hammer (alt: Cudge, Hammer Throw); simply damages, but can be charged to do more damage. Cudge is slightly smaller, does less knockback, cannot be charged, and deals more damage. Hammer Throw works similarly to Yoshi's Egg Throw. Does more damage and less knockback.
Up special move: Parakarry (alt: Yoshi); Parakarry lifts Paper Mario up slightly, and carries him horizontally in the direction Paper Mario is facing. Yoshi only carries him horizontally, but goes slightly farther.
Down special move: Bombette (alt: Bobbery, Boomer); Paper Mario sets down Bombette, who walks in the direction Paper Mario was facing. Initiating the move while Bombette is already out causes her to explode. Does about the same amount of damage as Link's bomb. Bobbery can be held as long as down and B are held, and does slightly more knockback, but slightly less damage. Boomer does more damage, but cannot move or be held.
Side special move: Kooper (alt: Koops); Paper Mario jumps on Kooper's shell, and kicks him forward. Koops can be held and long as left/right and B are held. Koops can go through multiple enemies.
Final Smash: Earth Tremor; Paper Mario jumps on the Bronze Star, and is invincible. The screen shakes, and after about five seconds, about 30% of damage is dealt, and high knockback is dealt.
Up strong attack: ???
Side strong attack: Tail Sticker; spins with a raccoon tail, which does minor damage and knockback.
Down strong attack: ???
Up smash attack: ???
Side smash attack: ???
Down smash attack: ???
Up throw: ???
Front throw: Spin dashes in place, which hits the opponent multiple times for 1% each, and the opponent is sent forward into the air.
Back throw: ???
Down throw: Drops the opponent on the ground and then jumps on the foe twice.
Up air attack: ???
Front air attack: ???
Back air attack: ???
Down air attack: Does the spin jump (ground pound-like move).
Up taunt: Does a stylish pose from Super Paper Mario (the one where he spins around and gives the thumbs up).
Side taunt: ???
Down taunt: ???
Victory poses: The various victory animations from the first two games, accompanied by the battle victory theme from TTYD.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Cool, I wanna give this a shot!

Weight:Light
Speed:Normal
Jump Height:Normal
Archetype:Glass Cannon
:GCA: Punches once :GCA: Punches again :GCA:Punches one last time sending opponent flying
Tilts
:GCU: Paper Mario does an uppercut that looks like his jumping animation
:GCR: Smacks the opponent with a wooden hammer
:GCD:Jumps a tiny amount and does a butt-bounce
Smashes
:GCCU: Paper Mario uses a spike hat sticker and jumps upward(if held becomes shiny)
:GCCR:Pulls out a iron hammer which he does on smash with(if held becomes ultra hammer)
:GCCD:Paper Mario does a stronger butt-bounce
Aerials
:GCU:Paper Mario does a spin in the air which attacks enemies on both sides
:GCR: Paper Mario smacks in front of him with his wooden hammer
:GCL:Paper Mario smacks behind him with his wooden hammer
:GCD:Paper Mario does a butt-bounce, but if he lands on an opponent, he bounces like in Toon Link's down-air from Brawl
Specials
:GCB: Appeal- Paper Mario would put his hands in the air and face the crowd(you), as stars fly into him. If you appeal 10 times, Paper Mario gets a buff to all his attacks and he gets stronger partners (This buff lasts for 30 seconds).
:GCU::GCB: Paper Mario jumps on Baby Yoshi who flutters upwards. While Baby Yoshi flutters, if it connects with an enemy, each kick from the flutter would do 3% and could hit up to 6 times, earning 18%.
[After Buff]- The Partner switches to Flurrie whom Paper Mario holds onto. She flies diagonally and does 24% damage if you hit someone while doing the attack. She would also slam downwards doing a body slam after flying. The attack would be like Ike's aether.
:GCR::GCB: Paper Mario would jump on Koops who go into his shell and would be sent out a good distance from him. The attack would do 8% if hit, but if you're hit by the sweet spot(The farthest Koops goes out) it would do 20%.
[After Buff]- Koops would be replaced by Bobbery as Mario throws him forward. Bobbery would then walk forward until touching someone where he would who explode and do 30% damage.
:GCD::GCB:Paper Mario would tuck into a stunned position, and if someone strikes him, he would get pulled underground by Vivian, and the opponent would get burned and fly back with 8% damage.
[After Buff] Vivian would be replaced by Ms. Mowz who would jump at the attacker knocking them away, and then would walk up to Mario and use Smooch, healing him by 10%.(Attack would do 10% damage)
Grabs
Grab-Paper Mario throws out Thoreau who traps an opponent in a box and brings them close to Paper Mario.
Pummel-Paper Mario bashes the opponent with Cudge.
Throws
:GCU:
Paper Mario places Boomer down who blows the opponent into the air
:GCR:Paper Mario uses Thoreau to throw the opponent forwards
:GCL:Paper Mario uses Thoreau to throw the opponent behind him
:GCD:Thudley appears in the sky and drops on the opponent
Final Smash
Supernova- Paper Mario would jump on the crystal star, and the player would be prompted to press A as fast as they can. The star would then shoot out a bunch of slices that knock the enemy away.(Slices would appear all across stage) The more A is pressed in a set time, the more damage and knock back the attack does.
Paper Mario Colors
1.Red/Blue(Normal)
2.Red/White(Fire Mario)
3.Yellow/Purple(Wario)
4.Purple/Black(Waluigi)
Paper Luigi Colors(Alternate costume)
5.Paper Luigi Costume
6.White/Green(Fire Luigi)
7.Red/Pink
8.Mr.L costume
Taunts
:GCU:Paper Mario Faces the screen and gives a thumbs up
:GCL::GCR:Paper Mario grabs his hat and tilts it forward like when he wins a battle in TTYD
:GCD:Tattle- Goombella pops out beside Paper Mario and gives information about the opponent
Example::4tlink: HP: 120 ATK: 20 DEF:10
A shorter and younger version of Link. He may be shorter, but he is faster so watch out!
Side Notes
Entrance-Paper Mario jumps out of a paper pipe
Victory-Paper Mario gives a thumbs up to the player
Victory theme-First 17 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1qSnOhYWUA
Wii-Mote SFX-Does Paper Mario's jump sound
Stage Music
Battle Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYki-9eO4Y
Rawk Hawk Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lmaPnnD4g
Doopliss Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tx6h2lDw4I
We Believe in You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlPX8MrqhY
*Spoilers for Super Paper Mario*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmfyJw1IOU
Assist Trophies
Count Bleck-Opens cape and sends out shockwaves like Tabuu
Doopliss-Runs at enemies and uses Head Missile on them(Flies at them head first)

This took awhile to make, but it was worth it!
Hope you guys enjoy!!
Ah, I love those!

You really got complete here so it'll take a while to review, but overall, very good.

The neutral/tilts a I guess are fine. Even tough I don't think he punched, that's not really a big problem considering the rest of the set. I question why one of the smashes is very similar to a tilt, but whatever. It's not the part that is the most interesting in movesets anyway.

up Smash is quite good with the shiny sticker idea, never tough about it. Tough, the hammer: how can it changes? because you might just want to make him spin more as he charges because otherwise, it seems misleading. Might want to use quake hammer for the down smash because of being a stronger version of an already taken move...feels kinda weird.

Aerials is pretty good, but here, the down one should be kept like it is and so, the 2 other butt bounce should get replaced. It seems to fit him more as aerials, but have 3 times a similar moves at different category feels somewhat redundant. Actually, you could use even more hammer stuff, but keep the aerial, it's a good one. Might suggest hammer throw for Fair as it's quite the same as Bair except the direction. Just a bit more variety. Up is great and it's the stylish move I want the most so good.

Specials is the best part: the neutral special. You could organize this with HUD, but really, it seems a cool idea, but maybe reduce the appeal to like 5 since doing 10 for only 30 seconds seems quite overkill. I love the partners moves choices especially ms mows one. Kinda silly to attack and then use smooch just thinking about it makes me want this so much. Flurrie as recovery + body slam? BEST IDEA EVER. That really was a good one.

Grabs as thoreau so it's good :) But seriously, pummel is ok considering the pixl used in grabs (and I think his hammer is different) as well as up and down throw. The side tough has potential like carying the opponnents as forward or my idea was to throw behind like peeling a sticker for back throw.
supernova can be OP if you know the easy to learn 2 fingers mashing technique. That's the only reason I don't use it despite the animation being good. you have to mash A...kinda boring for a final smash, but it's a popular idea anyway.

Oh, I forgot that PM64 music existed...again. (no seriously, this is happening to me a lot lately).

Because I never tough about the end of chapter music from that game. I would be tempted to say that the TTYD one is more energic, but the PM64 one has its own rights. But really, why I never tough about end of chapter? I should make another moveset...

Sorry for ultimate show, the music was so good I was spoiled prior, but really, it's not in project m for nothing. We believe in you mario = no complain so next :) (seriously, really good choices and even tough I don't expect we believe in you mario, I want it so much).

You could add transformation for doopliss, but good asists.

Note, you forgot nair and dash. You could just add them so I can tell it's a full moveset, but usually, it's rare to forget 2 moves so just edit your post while I put this version and overwrite if neccessary. Remember that due to how big the OP is, editing it is a little more tedious, but should go well.

Thanks for this set and for bringing even new ideas so that it's closer to "infinite potential" :)

Expanded my moveset. It's still a work in progress.

Standard special move: Hammer (alt: Cudge, Hammer Throw); simply damages, but can be charged to do more damage. Cudge is slightly smaller, does less knockback, cannot be charged, and deals more damage. Hammer Throw works similarly to Yoshi's Egg Throw. Does more damage and less knockback.
Up special move: Parakarry (alt: Yoshi); Parakarry lifts Paper Mario up slightly, and carries him horizontally in the direction Paper Mario is facing. Yoshi only carries him horizontally, but goes slightly farther.
Down special move: Bombette (alt: Bobbery, Boomer); Paper Mario sets down Bombette, who walks in the direction Paper Mario was facing. Initiating the move while Bombette is already out causes her to explode. Does about the same amount of damage as Link's bomb. Bobbery can be held as long as down and B are held, and does slightly more knockback, but slightly less damage. Boomer does more damage, but cannot move or be held.
Side special move: Kooper (alt: Koops); Paper Mario jumps on Kooper's shell, and kicks him forward. Koops can be held and long as left/right and B are held. Koops can go through multiple enemies.
Final Smash: Earth Tremor; Paper Mario jumps on the Bronze Star, and is invincible. The screen shakes, and after about five seconds, about 30% of damage is dealt, and high knockback is dealt.
Up strong attack: ???
Side strong attack: Tail Sticker; spins with a raccoon tail, which does minor damage and knockback.
Down strong attack: ???
Up smash attack: ???
Side smash attack: ???
Down smash attack: ???
Up throw: ???
Front throw: Spin dashes in place, which hits the opponent multiple times for 1% each, and the opponent is sent forward into the air.
Back throw: ???
Down throw: Drops the opponent on the ground and then jumps on the foe twice.
Up air attack: ???
Front air attack: ???
Back air attack: ???
Down air attack: Does the spin jump (ground pound-like move).
Up taunt: Does a stylish pose from Super Paper Mario (the one where he spins around and gives the thumbs up).
Side taunt: ???
Down taunt: ???
Victory poses: The various victory animations from the first two games, accompanied by the battle victory theme from TTYD.
Pretty solid so far. Like neutral special and front throw, but I'll let you finish it since it should be very good when it is.

So, I guess I have to switch my editor...there's so much movesets I love it :)

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Ah, I love those!

You really got complete here so it'll take a while to review, but overall, very good.

The neutral/tilts a I guess are fine. Even tough I don't think he punched, that's not really a big problem considering the rest of the set. I question why one of the smashes is very similar to a tilt, but whatever. It's not the part that is the most interesting in movesets anyway.

up Smash is quite good with the shiny sticker idea, never tough about it. Tough, the hammer: how can it changes? because you might just want to make him spin more as he charges because otherwise, it seems misleading. Might want to use quake hammer for the down smash because of being a stronger version of an already taken move...feels kinda weird.

Aerials is pretty good, but here, the down one should be kept like it is and so, the 2 other butt bounce should get replaced. It seems to fit him more as aerials, but have 3 times a similar moves at different category feels somewhat redundant. Actually, you could use even more hammer stuff, but keep the aerial, it's a good one. Might suggest hammer throw for Fair as it's quite the same as Bair except the direction. Just a bit more variety. Up is great and it's the stylish move I want the most so good.

Specials is the best part: the neutral special. You could organize this with HUD, but really, it seems a cool idea, but maybe reduce the appeal to like 5 since doing 10 for only 30 seconds seems quite overkill. I love the partners moves choices especially ms mows one. Kinda silly to attack and then use smooch just thinking about it makes me want this so much. Flurrie as recovery + body slam? BEST IDEA EVER. That really was a good one.

Grabs as thoreau so it's good :) But seriously, pummel is ok considering the pixl used in grabs (and I think his hammer is different) as well as up and down throw. The side tough has potential like carying the opponnents as forward or my idea was to throw behind like peeling a sticker for back throw.
supernova can be OP if you know the easy to learn 2 fingers mashing technique. That's the only reason I don't use it despite the animation being good. you have to mash A...kinda boring for a final smash, but it's a popular idea anyway.

Oh, I forgot that PM64 music existed...again. (no seriously, this is happening to me a lot lately).

Because I never tough about the end of chapter music from that game. I would be tempted to say that the TTYD one is more energic, but the PM64 one has its own rights. But really, why I never tough about end of chapter? I should make another moveset...

Sorry for ultimate show, the music was so good I was spoiled prior, but really, it's not in project m for nothing. We believe in you mario = no complain so next :) (seriously, really good choices and even tough I don't expect we believe in you mario, I want it so much).

You could add transformation for doopliss, but good asists.

Note, you forgot nair and dash. You could just add them so I can tell it's a full moveset, but usually, it's rare to forget 2 moves so just edit your post while I put this version and overwrite if neccessary. Remember that due to how big the OP is, editing it is a little more tedious, but should go well.

Thanks for this set and for bringing even new ideas so that it's closer to "infinite potential" :)

Pretty solid so far. Like neutral special and front throw, but I'll let you finish it since it should be very good when it is.

So, I guess I have to switch my editor...there's so much movesets I love it :)
Alright, I fixed it up quite a bit thanks to your great review! Thanks for that by the way!
I also added a new final smash that I thought was more interesting and fair than the other one.:lick:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Alright, I fixed it up quite a bit thanks to your great review! Thanks for that by the way!
I also added a new final smash that I thought was more interesting and fair than the other one.:lick:
I did edited the OP and it is better.

But the final smash might just be too missed. See, it kinda annoying to be ENTIRELY dependant on RNG for a final smash.

Other than that, no complains so it's pretty good!

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
My second trailer idea

Cut to an entirely black screen which slowly lights up with various different coloured spot-lights. A mysterious arena (to some) is shown and a female toad announcer calling the fighters.

"For our next battle we have the Tiny Terra-firma Terror, yes it's Little Mac against the Golden Hawk, the champion, yes it's a Championship match with the RAWK HAWK."

Rawk Hawk and Little Mac begin to fight with Little Mac appearing to have the upper hand before Rawk Hawk jumps up to the top of the arena, hangs off it and drops down on LM, KOing him. Rawk Hawk begins celebrating when all of a sudden his expression changes to one of dismay. The camera pans over to the Great Gonzales with the crowd going wild before the announcer says that this is the true championship battle. Splash art of the Great Gonzales "The Great Gonzales joins the fold". The Great Gonzales' gameplay is then shown with the Glitz Pit stage being confirmed for Wii U. The Glitz Pit stage uses Aldelaro's theater ideas but puts into the Glitz Pit location. Final cut back to the Glitz Pit where a defeated Rawk Hawk laments his lack of appearance in this game before being shown as an AT.

Now nobody can say there are three iterations of Marios because one of them is the Great Gonzales :troll:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
My second trailer idea

Cut to an entirely black screen which slowly lights up with various different coloured spot-lights. A mysterious arena (to some) is shown and a female toad announcer calling the fighters.

"For our next battle we have the Tiny Terra-firma Terror, yes it's Little Mac against the Golden Hawk, the champion, yes it's a Championship match with the RAWK HAWK."

Rawk Hawk and Little Mac begin to fight with Little Mac appearing to have the upper hand before Rawk Hawk jumps up to the top of the arena, hangs off it and drops down on LM, KOing him. Rawk Hawk begins celebrating when all of a sudden his expression changes to one of dismay. The camera pans over to the Great Gonzales with the crowd going wild before the announcer says that this is the true championship battle. Splash art of the Great Gonzales "The Great Gonzales joins the fold". The Great Gonzales' gameplay is then shown with the Glitz Pit stage being confirmed for Wii U. The Glitz Pit stage uses Aldelaro's theater ideas but puts into the Glitz Pit location. Final cut back to the Glitz Pit where a defeated Rawk Hawk laments his lack of appearance in this game before being shown as an AT.

Now nobody can say there are three iterations of Marios because one of them is the Great Gonzales :troll:

I love the use of Rawk Hawk to also throw in an assist trophy. I love this trailer ideas as a whole, actually.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My second trailer idea

Good idea to mislead with Rawk Hawk to then confirms a different name than Paper Mario and confirms Rawk Hawk as assist. Tough, I still wonder how they can talk, but anyway.

This is a great trailer to put the Rawk Hawk fight theme for his reveal actually.

And sadly, your last sentence is accurate.

Going to put it in the OP after.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since everyone is making movesets, I'm going to make one too. Expect it soon!

There's never enough movesets in the OP even tough it was enough to break the character limit for queuing edits with the rich editor (have to use the basic one, lol, but it's more advanced).

EDIT:

Oh btw, since the confirmation of 8 palette swap, I'm going to do 2 more today. So far, it's pm64 colors (not alt) and the royal shining effect applied on him like in royal stickers from sticker star.

If you have any other ideas, would be appreciated especially to replace the royal one because I might use it as final smash effect if it's not a palette which would be better imo.

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Oh btw, since the confirmation of 8 palette swap, I'm going to do 2 more today. So far, it's pm64 colors (not alt) and the royal shining effect applied on him like in royal stickers from sticker star.

If you have any other ideas, would be appreciated especially to replace the royal one because I might use it as final smash effect if it's not a palette which would be better imo.
I think the royal shining effect would look better with his final smash effect, personally. I'm hoping one of the palette swaps he would get is Doopliss Mario (the pure purple Mario).
While it may not be entirely fitting for Paper Mario, what if another alt/palette swap was a retro color? Like, he's recolored to look like the original Mario from Super Mario Bros?
Since :4tlink: had an alt of retro Link in Brawl, I thought it'd be something neat.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Here it is. It is a little simple, but I may add things like damage and knockback later.

Stats: Paper Mario is light like Mr. Game & Watch. His other stats are pretty balanced, like regular Mario.
Neutral Combo: Two punches and a hammer swing.
Side Tilt: A hammer swing thar reaches farther.
Up Tilt: A punch upwards.
Down Tilt: A low sweep with his hammer, can make the enemy trip.
Side Smash: Sushie appears and jumps forwards, damaging enemies by slamming into them.
Up Smash: Vivian appears and punches upwards with a flaming fist.
Down Smash: Watt appears and circles around Mario, damaging enemies that come into contact with her.
Neutral Aerial: Barry appears and forms a barrier around Mario.
Forward Aerial: Mario uses a POW Block sticker and kicks a POW Block in front of him.
Back Aerial: Mario uses a Tail sticker to grow a tail and spin, damaging enemies with his tail.
Up Aerial: Carrie appears. Mario uses her to jump a third time and damage enemies if he jumps into them.
Down Aerial: Cudge appears and Mario performs a ground pound.
Grab: Mario uses Thoreau to grab enemies from a distance.
Pummel: Mario headbutts the enemy.
Forward Throw: Mario kicks the enemy forwards.
Back Throw:Mario jumps in front of the enemy and kicks the enemy back.
Up Throw: Mario delivers a powerful punch that sends the enemy into the sky.
Down Throw: Mario throws the enemy to the ground and sits on top of it.
Neutral Special: Hammer
A hammer attack. If it is charged for some time, Cudge appears and the move deals double the damage.
Variation 1: Headbonk
Goombario/Goombella appears and uses the headbonk attack. It hits enemies from a distance but deals less damage.
Variation 2: Smack
Lady Bow appears and smacks the enemy. Does less damage than the hammer but is faster.
Side Special: Shell Attack
Mario kicks Kooper/Koops forwards to deal damage inside it's shell.
Variation 2: Shell Sticker
Mario uses the shell sticker from Sticker Star and kicks a shell forwards. It is kicker but weaker than the first move.
Variation 3: Yoshi Egg
Yoshi appears and throws a egg forwards. The egg isn't affected by gravity and is much faster than the shell, but deals very little damage.
Up Special: Parakarry
Parakarry carries Mario upwards. Mario is invincible during this move.
Variation 1: Lakilester
Lakilester carries Mario upwards. Mario is not invincible during this move, but you can throw Spinies downwards by pressing the special button.
Variation 2: Flurrie
Flurrie appears and creates some fog for Mario to ride on. Carries Mario much farther but he doesn't have any of the benefits from the other moves.
Down Special: Bomb
Bombette/Bobbery/Boomer appears and explodes after some time.
Variation 1: Dizzy
Fleep/Ms. Mowz appears and makes the enemy dizzy.
Variation 2: Piccolo
Piccolo appears and cures Mario of any effects such as being dizzy or buried.
Final Smash: Mega Star
Mario uses a Mega Star and transfroms into a giant 8-bit Mario. He can damage enemies just by touching them in this state.
Extras: Mario's spot dodge animation is shinkring with Dottie's power, his front dodge animation is using Dashell to run past the enemy and his back dodge animation is using Slim's power to become invisible and appear at a different spot. One of his taunts involves Tippi, Tiptron or Kersti appearing and talking to him.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Here it is. It is a little simple, but I may add things like damage and knockback later.

Stats: Paper Mario is light like Mr. Game & Watch. His other stats are pretty balanced, like regular Mario.
Neutral Combo: Two punches and a hammer swing.
Side Tilt: A hammer swing thar reaches farther.
Up Tilt: A punch upwards.
Down Tilt: A low sweep with his hammer, can make the enemy trip.
Side Smash: Sushie appears and jumps forwards, damaging enemies by slamming into them.
Up Smash: Vivian appears and punches upwards with a flaming fist.
Down Smash: Watt appears and circles around Mario, damaging enemies that come into contact with her.
Neutral Aerial: Barry appears and forms a barrier around Mario.
Forward Aerial: Mario uses a POW Block sticker and kicks a POW Block in front of him.
Back Aerial: Mario uses a Tail sticker to grow a tail and spin, damaging enemies with his tail.
Up Aerial: Carrie appears. Mario uses her to jump a third time and damage enemies if he jumps into them.
Down Aerial: Cudge appears and Mario performs a ground pound.
Grab: Mario uses Thoreau to grab enemies from a distance.
Pummel: Mario headbutts the enemy.
Forward Throw: Mario kicks the enemy forwards.
Back Throw:Mario jumps in front of the enemy and kicks the enemy back.
Up Throw: Mario delivers a powerful punch that sends the enemy into the sky.
Down Throw: Mario throws the enemy to the ground and sits on top of it.
Neutral Special: Hammer
A hammer attack. If it is charged for some time, Cudge appears and the move deals double the damage.
Variation 1: Headbonk
Goombario/Goombella appears and uses the headbonk attack. It hits enemies from a distance but deals less damage.
Variation 2: Smack
Lady Bow appears and smacks the enemy. Does less damage than the hammer but is faster.
Side Special: Shell Attack
Mario kicks Kooper/Koops forwards to deal damage inside it's shell.
Variation 2: Shell Sticker
Mario uses the shell sticker from Sticker Star and kicks a shell forwards. It is kicker but weaker than the first move.
Variation 3: Yoshi Egg
Yoshi appears and throws a egg forwards. The egg isn't affected by gravity and is much faster than the shell, but deals very little damage.
Up Special: Parakarry
Parakarry carries Mario upwards. Mario is invincible during this move.
Variation 1: Lakilester
Lakilester carries Mario upwards. Mario is not invincible during this move, but you can throw Spinies downwards by pressing the special button.
Variation 2: Flurrie
Flurrie appears and creates some fog for Mario to ride on. Carries Mario much farther but he doesn't have any of the benefits from the other moves.
Down Special: Bomb
Bombette/Bobbery/Boomer appears and explodes after some time.
Variation 1: Dizzy
Fleep/Ms. Mowz appears and makes the enemy dizzy.
Variation 2: Piccolo
Piccolo appears and cures Mario of any effects such as being dizzy or buried.
Final Smash: Mega Star
Mario uses a Mega Star and transfroms into a giant 8-bit Mario. He can damage enemies just by touching them in this state.
Extras: Mario's spot dodge animation is shinkring with Dottie's power, his front dodge animation is using Dashell to run past the enemy and his back dodge animation is using Slim's power to become invisible and appear at a different spot. One of his taunts involves Tippi, Tiptron or Kersti appearing and talking to him.
Well, I guess there is good ideas that I love, but other moves might needs diversity improvment.

I mean, I can take puch for neutral a maybe, but why the up tilt? Like, he actually don't punch, but even then, the tilst are overall, not that great. Neutral a should always be simple so it's fine, but side tilt and down tilt are...kinda boring. What how much the hammer can do, I just found this weird to see the down tilt being a repeat of the side and the only thing changing is the direction. There's also that you use a very similar move as the AAA so, I wonder if you could change the tilts. The up though, well, what about doing the superguard pose and the fist being the hitbox without actually punching? I don't know, but even though it's not the best part of most of sets, as long as it's not too generic and redundant, it's good. For exemple, having the spike helmet sticker as up tilt or the hammer throw stylish moves (it's a backflip with little height from the ground). Actually, hammer throw could work as side tilt so it's possible to get more elaborated.

You forgot the dash btw.

Smash are good though, but there's one thing I noticed with the whole moveset, most of hammers moves and jumps moves could be more expanded especially the former. I talk about this in smash because the partners moves could be used elsewhere like tilts or aerials while you would have a better balance for hammer. I do love the moves itself though, but I just think that for the overall sets and possibilities, others moves could be used in smash.

Aerial are good, but the forward...how to activate the block and also, the block works only on ground and yet, it's an aerial. Plus, an item would do that anyway. Though, I want to mention I liked the up one and I actually never tough to use carie here, but really good idea. Back and of course down are fine so don't change them.

Throws needs quite good improvments though. It's really weird to even see him punch and kicks, the only one I found good was the down throw. Others throws though...I don't see them fitting and I would change them or better, put smash move there. I could be ok with pummel, but not the throws except the down one.

Special is the best part and should not be changed (though, piccolo might seems OP). I basically liked everything and very great ideas are there. The set is very good just because of this part and I really like it.

Final smash and extras are very good, great pixl use for dodges.

So, I'll put it in the OP later, but if you could make some adjustements, it would make it even better. Again, I love specials, but I saw weakness to the rest so just saying.

Thanks for that btw!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Well, I guess there is good ideas that I love, but other moves might needs diversity improvment.

I mean, I can take puch for neutral a maybe, but why the up tilt? Like, he actually don't punch, but even then, the tilst are overall, not that great. Neutral a should always be simple so it's fine, but side tilt and down tilt are...kinda boring. What how much the hammer can do, I just found this weird to see the down tilt being a repeat of the side and the only thing changing is the direction. There's also that you use a very similar move as the AAA so, I wonder if you could change the tilts. The up though, well, what about doing the superguard pose and the fist being the hitbox without actually punching? I don't know, but even though it's not the best part of most of sets, as long as it's not too generic and redundant, it's good. For exemple, having the spike helmet sticker as up tilt or the hammer throw stylish moves (it's a backflip with little height from the ground). Actually, hammer throw could work as side tilt so it's possible to get more elaborated.

You forgot the dash btw.

Smash are good though, but there's one thing I noticed with the whole moveset, most of hammers moves and jumps moves could be more expanded especially the former. I talk about this in smash because the partners moves could be used elsewhere like tilts or aerials while you would have a better balance for hammer. I do love the moves itself though, but I just think that for the overall sets and possibilities, others moves could be used in smash.

Aerial are good, but the forward...how to activate the block and also, the block works only on ground and yet, it's an aerial. Plus, an item would do that anyway. Though, I want to mention I liked the up one and I actually never tough to use carie here, but really good idea. Back and of course down are fine so don't change them.

Throws needs quite good improvments though. It's really weird to even see him punch and kicks, the only one I found good was the down throw. Others throws though...I don't see them fitting and I would change them or better, put smash move there. I could be ok with pummel, but not the throws except the down one.

Special is the best part and should not be changed (though, piccolo might seems OP). I basically liked everything and very great ideas are there. The set is very good just because of this part and I really like it.

Final smash and extras are very good, great pixl use for dodges.

So, I'll put it in the OP later, but if you could make some adjustements, it would make it even better. Again, I love specials, but I saw weakness to the rest so just saying.

Thanks for that btw!
No problem. Thanks for the honest review. :)

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141

There's never enough movesets in the OP even tough it was enough to break the character limit for queuing edits with the rich editor (have to use the basic one, lol, but it's more advanced).

EDIT:

Do you think Paper Luigi has a chance at being a costume?

I know he's a little taller, but I just wanted to know what you guys think

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Do you think Paper Luigi has a chance at being a costume?

I know he's a little taller, but I just wanted to know what you guys think
Well, just the fact he's taller is a problem, but they could use the TTYD L emblem anyway.

Tough, Mr L could work and I think would be much more worthy to do it.

I'm going to do the PM64 swap today, but I won't do the royal one because I just tough that it might be complicated.

Tough, as weird as it sounds, I just got the most silly idea: poison Mario.

Would it work? Sounds silly, but interesting.

Actually, I don't think he would have alts except for Mr L which would be good with generic swap or the same one.

I really didn't expect that 6 wasn't enough, but at least it made me think of not forgetting PM64.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
My ideas for costumes are:
Default (red team)
L Emblem (green team)
W Emblem
W and L Emblems
Fire Mario
Ice Mario (blue team)
Pink shirt/hat, red overalls/shoes (based off of Princess Peach)
N64 Paper Mario

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
My PM costume ideas would be

Standard
L Emblem
W Emblem
W and L emblems
Fire Mario
Shadow Mario (entirely purple)
N64 Paper Mario
Mr. L costume, assuming Luigi doesn't get one and if he does, perhaps a costume of Mario with champion of Glitz Pit belt or SPM SPOILER FOR @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5
A Mario with a space helmet.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
My PM costume ideas would be

Standard
L Emblem
W Emblem
W and L emblems
Fire Mario
Shadow Mario (entirely purple)
N64 Paper Mario
Mr. L costume, assuming Luigi doesn't get one and if he does, perhaps a costume of Mario with champion of Glitz Pit belt or SPM SPOILER FOR @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5
A Mario with a space helmet.
Ah yes...

PLUMBERS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

That aside, I think Shadow Mario would be interesting for either Paper Mario or Mario himself. I always remember that little jerk racing me in Super Mario Galaxy.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, considering I just got teased by avoiding spoilers, I might have to wait to see "that thing" I don't want to know.

I hope it's worth for a color swap because for how much tease I got recently, it;s quite annoying to have college with this.

I might have to wait for this week end to beat ch4. I'm just in front of the door actually.

Still, I know who timpani is because for some reasons, the 10th floor of the pit tells you.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Well, considering I just got teased by avoiding spoilers, I might have to wait to see "that thing" I don't want to know.

I hope it's worth for a color swap because for how much tease I got recently, it;s quite annoying to have college with this.

I might have to wait for this week end to beat ch4. I'm just in front of the door actually.

Still, I know who timpani is because for some reasons, the 10th floor of the pit tells you.
Wait, what?! Awwww, Nintendo!... Well, one way or another, you'll find out who Timpani is.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, what?! Awwww, Nintendo!... Well, one way or another, you'll find out who Timpani is.
I know because I somehow got a card and it tells who literally (along another stuff that seems so intriguing).

Like, It's not a surprise because from the beginning of the game, it's pretty clear who seems to hide so much that the white on black texts with the "memory" music is the core of the plot. That's really not surprising to hear who timpani is, but to get intrigued that much...that's so weird. Like, I know a partial event, but I have no idea why it occured and this is why I'm not spoiled, but really, this should be interesting.

It's quite a huge tease from the beginning. Tough, I might not go into the pit of 100 trails now. Still, by curiosity, am I not supposed to know that? Because the game tells you before the white on black texts tells you so I wonder why I even can go to the pit at this point if I wasn't supposed to know that.

Tough, consider it a downside if I wasn't supposed because it;s not the kind of stuff I expect from the same who made TTYD and inspired from it. Like you JUST unlock the pit so of course at least one person would be tempted to check it right?

Just want to know if I shouldn't know that after ch3

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I know because I somehow got a card and it tells who literally (along another stuff that seems so intriguing).

Like, It's not a surprise because from the beginning of the game, it's pretty clear who seems to hide so much that the white on black texts with the "memory" music is the core of the plot. That's really not surprising to hear who timpani is, but to get intrigued that much...that's so weird. Like, I know a partial event, but I have no idea why it occured and this is why I'm not spoiled, but really, this should be interesting.

It's quite a huge tease from the beginning. Tough, I might not go into the pit of 100 trails now. Still, by curiosity, am I not supposed to know that? Because the game tells you before the white on black texts tells you so I wonder why I even can go to the pit at this point if I wasn't supposed to know that.

Tough, consider it a downside if I wasn't supposed because it;s not the kind of stuff I expect from the same who made TTYD and inspired from it. Like you JUST unlock the pit so of course at least one person would be tempted to check it right?

Just want to know if I shouldn't know that after ch3
I can't really remember to be honest man, been so long since I played that game.

But when you do chapter 4 you can look at the spoiler.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
I havn't really popped in here before, but i just wanted to say paper mario is my third most wanted and i fully support him for smash 4!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I havn't really popped in here before, but i just wanted to say paper mario is my third most wanted and i fully support him for smash 4!
Thanks! You're our 125th supporter. Congratulation :)

Speaking of support progress, I haven't realised how far and quick this thread progressed. In this thread, I said this on June 8:

Also 20k VIEWS!!! :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:
I remember when I became OP at the end of April, it had 15k. So, I only got 5k in 1.5 month before E3.

Now, we are almost at 55k and it's been almost 3 months I said that. We got 35k in 3 months while I got 5k for the half of this time in sal time!

In fact, I don't even think it was over 30k on July 28, so that really shows you how much it increased after that stage. I didn't even checked the counter after since it didn't matter with how much safe the thread was.

But I just realised that what we live now is FAR BETTER than sal time. The thread was almost at 50k on the video leak day and in a week, we still got what we got in 1.5 months in sal time which means that THE THREAD IS NOT DYING!!!

So, it's not like sal. Sure, it is darker time, but there's enough lights to survive :)

So, I really like how this is going after all because you know, at one point in sal time, only me and another supporter was talking it looked like a pm, but now, there's more people replying frequently. It means that I still have to watch more carefully the thread, but not as much as in sal time when I had to give most of my determination into it. At least it makes me more confident to beat SPM without worrying about it :)

So, thanks for all your support!

On a side note, there will be a demo event of the final build in japan stores this week end. If we see the Paper Mario stage, we are most likely in trouble since we'll know the icon and it should be the mario one if it's in the demo and we'll know every section which should be interesting, but also most likely break the tease if there's no section fom the 2 unrepped games and I just have a feeling it might be the case with the mario icon, but still, the name would not be consistent anyway so it'll be weird, but I'm just worried if the stage is plyable at all.

If it's not tough, and especially if other mario one are, then he could get a good boost. I do expect at leat one mario stage, but if 2 or 3 of the mario stage are showed without the Paper Mario one, consider it as a red flag. If only one mario stage without Paper Mario one, then it's not changing that much, but we would avoid a very close deconfirmation for the second time which is in itself hopeful.

So, just get ready for anything since it can either hurt him big, helping big or not changing, but hope is stronger.

In every case, this badge is the situation now:

ALL: Paper Mario playable as own series, WiiU and 3DS stage, tons of music, more trophies
OR
NOTHING: Not playable, 3DS only stage repping mario, 2 music, maybe more trophies including Paper Mario himself.

That's how it goes. I'm not disappointed on NOTHING, but would be a dream come true if ALL even happens.

So, good luck!

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I'm hoping one of the palette swaps he would get is Doopliss Mario (the pure purple Mario).
While it may not be entirely fitting for Paper Mario, what if another alt/palette swap was a retro color? Like, he's recolored to look like the original Mario from Super Mario Bros?
Since :4tlink: had an alt of retro Link in Brawl, I thought it'd be something neat.
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I dunno if you saw this, but this was my suggestion for Paper Mario alts. I had another idea, too, of the Jumpman Mario--the color Mario had in previous games (unknown to be back here) that was blue with red overalls (reverse of normal Mario.). I think, since Paper Mario is another form of Mario (but very different), he should have a palette swap similar to what Mario has (at least one).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I dunno if you saw this, but this was my suggestion for Paper Mario alts. I had another idea, too, of the Jumpman Mario--the color Mario had in previous games (unknown to be back here) that was blue with red overalls (reverse of normal Mario.). I think, since Paper Mario is another form of Mario (but very different), he should have a palette swap similar to what Mario has (at least one).
Doopliss was suggested a lot, but the problem is this: literally one non alpha color. That`s not really good for the eyes in FFA.

But I could do the 8 bit palette. It may have to wait for tomorrow, but I also want to beat ch4 of spm since I got an idea that requires me to do it for being spoiler less. Don`t think I`m going to do the reverse, just 8 bit colors will be good enough.

It`s just that it takes like 2 hours to do a very good palette swap with how much perfectionist I am with fuzzy select :)

I mean, the differences will be noticeable since the 8 bit palette is really dark while Paper Mario is light. I think 8 bit is even darker than PM64 which wouldn`t fit in his game, but really good in smash.

Btw, I forgot to tell one thing about spm: I think I see why the story could be that good. The guy at the bar tells you that the pure hearts has a lot of stuff to do with love, but the thing is, the whole plot seems to have crazy things caused by it and of course, the memory text would be a love story that is really obvious to be the core of the plot.

Why it tells me that it can be really good? In TTYD, the TEC story was really deep because of the whole story being based around love. What I think happened is that they decided to do the same, but instead of being an intermissions story like the memory text, they expanded it on the whole game and made a big plot around it all based on the theme of love.

If they did TEC story, they can do a lot more for a whole game plot. I know how impressive in quality the text can be so I see why it could be that much good and of course, mind blown should happen at one point. I just don`t know when.

Remember: put any spm related plot in spoiler tags as me and maybe others people here don`t want to be spoiled.

Tough, the only thing I got spoiled a while ago is who you fight in ultimate show. Yeah, that might be bad, but the way to get here that I have no idea so I might still love the plot.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Doopliss was suggested a lot, but the problem is this: literally one non alpha color. That`s not really good for the eyes in FFA.

But I could do the 8 bit palette. It may have to wait for tomorrow, but I also want to beat ch4 of spm since I got an idea that requires me to do it for being spoiler less. Don`t think I`m going to do the reverse, just 8 bit colors will be good enough.

It`s just that it takes like 2 hours to do a very good palette swap with how much perfectionist I am with fuzzy select :)

I mean, the differences will be noticeable since the 8 bit palette is really dark while Paper Mario is light. I think 8 bit is even darker than PM64 which wouldn`t fit in his game, but really good in smash.

Btw, I forgot to tell one thing about spm: I think I see why the story could be that good. The guy at the bar tells you that the pure hearts has a lot of stuff to do with love, but the thing is, the whole plot seems to have crazy things caused by it and of course, the memory text would be a love story that is really obvious to be the core of the plot.

Why it tells me that it can be really good? In TTYD, the TEC story was really deep because of the whole story being based around love. What I think happened is that they decided to do the same, but instead of being an intermissions story like the memory text, they expanded it on the whole game and made a big plot around it all based on the theme of love.

If they did TEC story, they can do a lot more for a whole game plot. I know how impressive in quality the text can be so I see why it could be that much good and of course, mind blown should happen at one point. I just don`t know when.

Remember: put any spm related plot in spoiler tags as me and maybe others people here don`t want to be spoiled.

Tough, the only thing I got spoiled a while ago is who you fight in ultimate show. Yeah, that might be bad, but the way to get here that I have no idea so I might still love the plot.
I think you'll end up enjoying it, it is my second favorite Paper Mario game (Right behind TTYD)...

I'm just waiting for a Paper Mario Wii U game that brings the series back to it's RPG Turn-Based combat,
now THAT would be awesome!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just updated the OP with this:

Ah, I love image editing on TTYD stuff. You can actually make custom textures and load them with Dolphin to see them in the game.

Might do that and play with it if confirmed.

As for SPM, not today, but will play a lot this week end and btw, the demo will be open in Japan on Friday at 10 PM EST so just watch this site carefully until we know the stage list.

This might be decisive, but we'll see.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Just updated the OP with this:

Ah, I love image editing on TTYD stuff. You can actually make custom textures and load them with Dolphin to see them in the game.
I really like that recolor--I really hope it'd be one of his alts!

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
On pins and needles now. We might need more energy to give to Paper Mario.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would hope that if PM were in the game, that his "helpless" fall would be like the falling paper animation he had like at the beginning of the first PM game after being launched out of Peach's castle. It would be glorious

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I would hope that if PM were in the game, that his "helpless" fall would be like the falling paper animation he had like at the beginning of the first PM game after being launched out of Peach's castle. It would be glorious
Even tough it might be too slow, would love if it was designed to work :)

but now:

On pins and needles now. We might need more energy to give to Paper Mario.
In 2 hours, the demo will be open in Japan and we'll know if the stage is there or not.

I highly suggest to play this in loop for the time being:

FYI: this is the threads you should follow:

http://smashboards.com/threads/jp-w...king-requests-leading-up-to-the-event.366530/

Good luck!

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Guys, I feel like if we can live through this demo then we're golden. If the Paper Mario stage is not available, we have a great chance. If it is there and it has a Paper Mario icon, I think we might be MORE than good. We have to believe...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ladies and gentlemen, it is now 10 PM EST or 11 AM JST which is where the store demo event of the final build of ssb4 begins.

In the followings minutes, we will probably know the stage list and of course, reveals if we are helped, or hurt.

Wait:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just going to update stuff: I was not able to get any answer so far.

To be frank, I might not even get an answer today and I will likely have to loose sleep.

It's really annoying to be like this, but it has to. I can't let this go while I;m not there, I just care too much.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Bumping for a very needed reason.

It's the stage in the demo. Every mario stage is there including this one.

Now, please, read the whole post.

There's several things we know:

The name is "Paper Mario" which is still unexplained why.

Being there, it's likely to be a starter and in this case, [deconfirmed].

Wolf was [deconfirmed] and it would indirectly help, but the stage takes priority in consideration.

It's likely to be mario rep which doesn't deconfirm him, but makes the tease so confusing it might just not be one as a considerable possibility.

Now, for what we don't know:

The sections.

^this is the last thing that could help him now. If I don't see any pm64 or spm section, TTYD was likely isolated and so, [unlikely] for WiiU stage.

If I see them though, he would still be [likely] but really unsure this time around. It might be [in the dark] if I'm pessimist.

All this added, he's not done BUT he did took at big hit. To know how much last hope remains, I need to gather more info but as of now, there's less chance unfortunately.

I'll let you talk about it because I myself need to just forget about what happened and think what just happened so I can give a clear view.

I just want to say that even if I conclude [unlikely], I'll never give up since there's only a week left. The only thing that would make me give up is a deconfirmation, that's all.

But now, I understand if the thread goes a little down since it's a valid reason. Tough, if you feel ok enough, I encourage you to stay until deconfirmation anyway. I will understand now if you don't tough.

With that in mind, please, take your time while thinking.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would definitely not count him out because the stage is a starter.

Shadow Moses Island was a starting stage in Brawl, you played on it several times to unlock Snake. could very easily be a similar situation here.

Don't forget, also, that there was a stage in Brawl called "Mario Bros." Did that deconfirm Mario & Luigi? Nope. Don't let the naming kill your hype.

I do, however, think that if Paper Mario is playable, that he'll be a DLC character rather than on disc and that the stage is just a tease for the future. I'm thinking we have a TYD/SS stage on 3DS, and possibly, when said DLC is launched, a PM64/SPM stage on Wii U.

Never give in! Never surrender!

Top Bottom