• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Don't be offended, guys. Geno is also too big to be in smash.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I would recommend adding a little more from Sticker Star into the moveset because nintendo tends to give the characters moves based on their more modern games. I would say a really good idea would be if his final smash was where the stage turns into a piece of paper and Paper Mario gets lifted up and drops heavy stickers on the paper to hit people, somewhat like his ability in Sticker Star.

Maybe also a down-b of dropping a spike goomba or spike koopa. Great idea though. Nintendo NEEDS to make this happen.
There is sticker star ideas that are good, but it's just that with TTYD got repped and that we don't know if there's a WiiU stage, it may still not be sticker star majority.

But I really like the final smash toigh since it gives the same feel as art attack.

Omg I completely forgot that there is a Paper Mario stage in Smash 4. Please based Sakurai!

Now that Jr. is in I can give Paper Mario my full support! Go go Mario! Beat up that phony non-paper Mario and show 'em who the true hero is.

#But still Paper Luigi would be better XD
They can go together right?

Actually, what about a trailer where both are revealed in said trailer?

Seriously, that would be the best trailer to see Paper Mario beat Jr.

On,, theater, ok I'm dreaming too much :)

Support is really welcome with the dark time we live so please, enjoy yourself until verdict.

Paper Mario won't get in because he's too big.
Hum... Maybe I should type a 5 hours essay :troll:

Because if you're talking about this, then we can talk:

:troll:

Otherwise, nope his potential isn't too big, it's "infinite".

Do you want to be on the list?
Don't be offended, guys. Geno is also too big to be in smash.
Well, I'm confused (it's the incarnation of a small doll how is that big?).

No seriously, I didn't get the joke.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I think I already know who would main Paper Mario in an instant in Smash 4... :awesome:

She'd definitely do it if Goombella makes a cameo in Smash 4. xD

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I think I already know who would main Paper Mario in an instant in Smash 4... :awesome:

She'd definitely do it if Goombella makes a cameo in Smash 4. xD
Yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who knows her. :)

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
LUCAHJIN?! You've got a great taste in Let's Players.
Taste Lucahjin? Ew! :p Well, I just have good instincts that she would play as him as soon as she is able to do so considering how much she is invested with the Paper Mario LPs. I especially loved her reaction to Flurrie; it was exactly how I felt. xD

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
To every Super Paper Mario (SPM) fans, you have to read this and you'll love me for this post maybe.

It feels like Sal time where I wait for the thread to be on second page to reply for visibility, but that's how dark time goes. Keep hoping guys! We aren't alone to live this, but we have what we need to get rough this.

So, yesterday, I did beat the pit of 100 trials and so, got a 100% file for the first time as weird as it sounds. I have never beaten the pit before so now I can stop to be ashamed for it :)

But you know what it means?

I STARTED SPM!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

And I beat the first chapter which was enough to be familiar with the gameplay and get where the game is going from a design perspective and so far...the game is underrated as heck.

Ok, I know it's first impressions, but so far, this should not change unless there's something that doesn't make sense with the gameplay which should not happen with what I got. I didn't find anything to hate the mechanics so far and I'm actually confused on why it's hated.

First, let me just tell you right away: I SUCK at 2D mario platformer. Tried smw, loved the design, but I sucked so much that I couldn't even appreciate it and so, didn't beat it. So, I will admit that I was hesitant on spm and also for not being in 3D all the time which should be the way to appreciate the artstyle like in TTYD. By beating ch1, I realised that those was baseless concerns.

The graphics are made to be so simple that when you flip in 3D, you only need seconds to appreciate them and it was designed to work with flipping mechanics. The thing is, EVERYTHING is made to make flipping and 2D as main dimension work. The core of the game is the flipping and from what I got so far, it's genius.

The game isn't a platformer nor it is an RPG. It's both bridged together by the flipping mechanics. It acts like a mutual bridges where one helps the other to work which is then helping the first one to work in return. By having to constantly use the flipping, it creates a circle when it mixes both genre together pretty well. So, saying that the game isn't good because it doesn't follow RPG is technically inaccurate and from the series context, it's totally false.

Let me tell you why flipping mechanics does all that. In platforming, your goal is to go from point a to point b without dying and revolves around using platforms to reach the destination which is the end of the level. The 2D mode reflects mostly this genre since it's the most simple way to represent that you have a starting point and you try to reach the end. That is pure platforming with enemies and obstacle, I can't deny that.

Where it gets interesting is where RPG elements comes. The enemies are under an HP system and you have multiples ways to drop the HP like the usual jump, Pixl ability, items, etc... Of course, with the jump, that's where it gets like platformer where you decide the way you jump and the angle. This jumps actually has a very free control with a lot of possible height so it helps in that regard.

I named Pixil and items. Kind of reminds me like I don't know THE FREAKING SAME AS FIRST 2 GAMES!!!

Now this is where I don't get it. There's so much assets from TTYD in this game that it almost feels like it. Even sounds effects got copy pasted and other things is slightly altered all over the place. Graphics are under the same conventions as well as sounds, but it gets really further: humor, text style, design consistencies and even traditions from the series are kept. The shop system, inn system, game over jokes on refusing a dialog choice, 4th wall jokes, tattle as help system, hint system, items system, an exp system, hp system, text style, tattle log system, partners system and it goes on and on...

Now, how does this game broke any conventions? It kept most of them and even better: the ONLY modifications I saw was SLIGHT and was only done for DESIGN CONSISTENCIES with the CORE GAMEPLAY!!!

Really, everything is kept as RPG and it's just slightly altered to make RPG works with platforming, but this platforming part is also helping the RPG side.

And that's where the flipping comes. The flipping changes completely the platforming philosophy of just getting to to end of the level by following the path of the level. The flipping is not permanent and you cannot use it indefinitely because there's hidden stuff in 3D so it makes no sense to spot them all right away, there has to be time restrictions to prevent that. But this forces you to check if there's something odd in 2D or a place that when you project the geometry in your head that it could have stuff hidden. You have no choice but to check the environment and when you flip, you're not following the path, but trying to figure it out by USING the level.

Yes, you use the level to get where to go, not following the path. This creates a lot of puzzles possibilities that guess what? It matches what you would do in RPG context. By flipping in 3D, you use the level to find clues and to figure out the path which is RPG side and by flipping back in 2D after, you go back to the first goal of getting to the end of the level by following the path you just found so it's back to platforming.

Now I think you got it why it's not JUST a platformer nor it is JUST an RPG, but it's both bridged together. With how the score, normally useless in platformer acts like the exp system, it's clear that it forces you to fight enemies instead of doing the equivalent of "Run away". Because it's in real time, platform mechanics, you have no reasons to not get exp since it's quick and not annoying to farm, RPG mechanics.

See? It's constantly mixing both genre via a mutual bridges and that does 2 things: 1: it's really innovative and brings up interesting possibilities and 2: you only need to like one genre to even enjoy the game at all.

Yeah, I said I suck at 2D mario platformer, I don't here. Why? I love RPG and having the RPG side helping the platformer so that the side I suck is better in RPG context which I love. Then, this platforming side help the RPG side by having to figure out the path before following it in a platformer. Result: I enjoy the platforming in this case because not only it works in RPG context, but it also makes the side I love better for plattforming which makes me LIKE the platforming in the game!!!

Really, now, back to my view: because this was apparently ignored by most people who hated the game, I think it's a severe case of underrated game.

I don't get it. I see 2 major complains on the game: 1: being a platformer and so, too different from first 2 games of the series to worth the try and second, breaking RPG elements.

The first ignores how the platforming is in RPG context which should, in series context, makes it better, but the second is just ugh... I didn't even started the chapter 2 and this game is raining RPG elements and even better, TTYD assets. How is this breaking RPG consistencies? I'm serious there's partners and items how is that breaking anything? Most of the series consistencies are KEPT with the slight modification of working better with platforming which in the end DOES NOT CHANGES ANY CONSISTENCIES ATV ALL and so, DOESN'T BREAK ANY OF THEM!!!

Like, I just don't get how it was that much ignored. I was even impressed to see most of the series consistencies in the game right at the beginning that it's just too obvious.

My rant is done.

So, for impressions, I like lireland road, flipping seems fun to do, the segmented chapter doesn't break RPG context, dialogs are funny as ever with 4th wall jokes, but fracktail text was...

How can I say it appropriately? THE FREAKING BEST 4TH WALL TEXT EVER???

No really, that was way too hilarious for me to take those jokes. This is a rain of computer and Windows jokes that are just so hilarious that it's just amazing that they pushed it THAT FAR. It's even referencing an obscure name from zelda 2 (yeah, you probably know what it is). Like, it's further than TTYD here and may even reach Earthbound level which was completely unrestricted to anything related to IRL. I can't wait to see other text in that much quality now.

So, that pretty much means that so far, love the game and don't understand why it's hated. I may eventually do a complete review like I did for TTYD after I beat the game because for a game that seems underrated, it deserves my complete takes on it.

With that in mind, now that I got thoreau, I want it so much to be his grabs now. Especially if it has the rectangle animation around the enemies. I actually want moves from spm because Paper Mario deserves them. I actually wouldn't even mind if TTYD and spm are used equally in his set, but as long as sticker star stays a minority, I'm good.

Btw, spm makes sticker star looks even worst by not making RPG works while spm did with another genre. Hope if the james leak is Paper Mario related that this one will follow the series consistencies like every game did until sticker star which broke most of them.

Hope you like this wall of texts if you're an spm fan :)

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
To every Super Paper Mario (SPM) fans, you have to read this and you'll love me for this post maybe.

It feels like Sal time where I wait for the thread to be on second page to reply for visibility, but that's how dark time goes. Keep hoping guys! We aren't alone to live this, but we have what we need to get rough this.

So, yesterday, I did beat the pit of 100 trials and so, got a 100% file for the first time as weird as it sounds. I have never beaten the pit before so now I can stop to be ashamed for it :)

I STARTED SPM!!!

And I beat the first chapter which was enough to be familiar with the gameplay and get where the game is going from a design perspective and so far...the game is underrated as heck.

Ok, I know it's first impressions, but so far, this should not change unless there's something that doesn't make sense with the gameplay which should not happen with what I got. I didn't find anything to hate the mechanics so far and I'm actually confused on why it's hated.

First, let me just tell you right away: I SUCK at 2D mario platformer. Tried smw, loved the design, but I sucked so much that I couldn't even appreciate it and so, didn't beat it. So, I will admit that I was hesitant on spm and also for not being in 3D all the time which should be the way to appreciate the artstyle like in TTYD. By beating ch1, I realised that those was baseless concerns.

The graphics are made to be so simple that when you flip in 3D, you only need seconds to appreciate them and it was designed to work with flipping mechanics. The thing is, EVERYTHING is made to make flipping and 2D as main dimension work. The core of the game is the flipping and from what I got so far, it's genius.

The game isn't a platformer nor it is an RPG. It's both bridged together by the flipping mechanics. It acts like a mutual bridges where one helps the other to work which is then helping the first one to work in return. By having to constantly use the flipping, it creates a circle when it mixes both genre together pretty well. So, saying that the game isn't good because it doesn't follow RPG is technically inaccurate and from the series context, it's totally false.

Let me tell you why flipping mechanics does all that. In platforming, your goal is to go from point a to point b without dying and revolves around using platforms to reach the destination which is the end of the level. The 2D mode reflects mostly this genre since it's the most simple way to represent that you have a starting point and you try to reach the end. That is pure platforming with enemies and obstacle, I can't deny that.

Where it gets interesting is where RPG elements comes. The enemies are under an HP system and you have multiples ways to drop the HP like the usual jump, Pixl ability, items, etc... Of course, with the jump, that's where it gets like platformer where you decide the way you jump and the angle. This jumps actually has a very free control with a lot of possible height so it helps in that regard.

I named Pixil and items. Kind of reminds me like I don't know THE FREAKING SAME AS FIRST 2 GAMES!!!

Now this is where I don't get it. There's so much assets from TTYD in this game that it almost feels like it. Even sounds effects got copy pasted and other things is slightly altered all over the place. Graphics are under the same conventions as well as sounds, but it gets really further: humor, text style, design consistencies and even traditions from the series are kept. The shop system, inn system, game over jokes on refusing a dialog choice, 4th wall jokes, tattle as help system, hint system, items system, an exp system, hp system, text style, tattle log system, partners system and it goes on and on...

Now, how does this game broke any conventions? It kept most of them and even better: the ONLY modifications I saw was SLIGHT and was only done for DESIGN CONSISTENCIES with the CORE GAMEPLAY!!!

Really, everything is kept as RPG and it's just slightly altered to make RPG works with platforming, but this platforming part is also helping the RPG side.

And that's where the flipping comes. The flipping changes completely the platforming philosophy of just getting to to end of the level by following the path of the level. The flipping is not permanent and you cannot use it indefinitely because there's hidden stuff in 3D so it makes no sense to spot them all right away, there has to be time restrictions to prevent that. But this forces you to check if there's something odd in 2D or a place that when you project the geometry in your head that it could have stuff hidden. You have no choice but to check the environment and when you flip, you're not following the path, but trying to figure it out by USING the level.

Yes, you use the level to get where to go, not following the path. This creates a lot of puzzles possibilities that guess what? It matches what you would do in RPG context. By flipping in 3D, you use the level to find clues and to figure out the path which is RPG side and by flipping back in 2D after, you go back to the first goal of getting to the end of the level by following the path you just found so it's back to platforming.

Now I think you got it why it's not JUST a platformer nor it is JUST an RPG, but it's both bridged together. With how the score, normally useless in platformer acts like the exp system, it's clear that it forces you to fight enemies instead of doing the equivalent of "Run away". Because it's in real time, platform mechanics, you have no reasons to not get exp since it's quick and not annoying to farm, RPG mechanics.

See? It's constantly mixing both genre via a mutual bridges and that does 2 things: 1: it's really innovative and brings up interesting possibilities and 2: you only need to like one genre to even enjoy the game at all.

Yeah, I said I suck at 2D mario platformer, I don't here. Why? I love RPG and having the RPG side helping the platformer so that the side I suck is better in RPG context which I love. Then, this platforming side help the RPG side by having to figure out the path before following it in a platformer. Result: I enjoy the platforming in this case because not only it works in RPG context, but it also makes the side I love better for plattforming which makes me LIKE the platforming in the game!!!

Really, now, back to my view: because this was apparently ignored by most people who hated the game, I think it's a severe case of underrated game.

I don't get it. I see 2 major complains on the game: 1: being a platformer and so, too different from first 2 games of the series to worth the try and second, breaking RPG elements.

The first ignores how the platforming is in RPG context which should, in series context, makes it better, but the second is just ugh... I didn't even started the chapter 2 and this game is raining RPG elements and even better, TTYD assets. How is this breaking RPG consistencies? I'm serious there's partners and items how is that breaking anything? Most of the series consistencies are KEPT with the slight modification of working better with platforming which in the end DOES NOT CHANGES ANY CONSISTENCIES ATV ALL and so, DOESN'T BREAK ANY OF THEM!!!

Like, I just don't get how it was that much ignored. I was even impressed to see most of the series consistencies in the game right at the beginning that it's just too obvious.

My rant is done.

So, for impressions, I like lireland road, flipping seems fun to do, the segmented chapter doesn't break RPG context, dialogs are funny as ever with 4th wall jokes, but fracktail text was...

No really, that was way too hilarious for me to take those jokes. This is a rain of computer and Windows jokes that are just so hilarious that it's just amazing that they pushed it THAT FAR. It's even referencing an obscure name from zelda 2 (yeah, you probably know what it is). Like, it's further than TTYD here and may even reach Earthbound level which was completely unrestricted to anything related to IRL. I can't wait to see other text in that much quality now.

So, that pretty much means that so far, love the game and don't understand why it's hated. I may eventually do a complete review like I did for TTYD after I beat the game because for a game that seems underrated, it deserves my complete takes on it.

With that in mind, now that I got thoreau, I want it so much to be his grabs now. Especially if it has the rectangle animation around the enemies. I actually want moves from spm because Paper Mario deserves them. I actually wouldn't even mind if TTYD and spm are used equally in his set, but as long as sticker star stays a minority, I'm good.

Btw, spm makes sticker star looks even worst by not making RPG works while spm did with another genre. Hope if the james leak is Paper Mario related that this one will follow the series consistencies like every game did until sticker star which broke most of them.

I somewhat agree and disagree with you on many aspects of your SPM review.

I agree the mechanic isn't as bad as people make it out to be and yes there are a lot of things taken from TTYD, which, of course, is great. However, I am a massive fan of turn based combat and so this loss was felt by me but not overly as I do enjoy platformers as well, just to a lesser degree.

However, maybe because I'm not totally literate with many of things referenced in the game, I was unable to draw as much humour from the game as you clearly have. TTYD was so good with its delivery, however, I don't remember SPM giving me that same feeling.

Yes the Pixls are just like the partners in TTYD, but they lack the soul and the fact that you are taking things that are otherwise Mario's enemies and placing them into battle with him. That for me was one of the major pluses of the first two games. The partners. They are what make the first two Paper Mario games so unique in my opinion. Imagine Link teaming up with various enemies from throughout Hyrule and throwing him into an RPG format. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

The final issue I had with SPM was it lacked replay value. Whereas the first two games just keep calling me back every now and then, I finished SPM once, didn't really play it again and then sold it.

Either way, enjoy @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 and let us know what you think.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

I STARTED SPM!!!

My rant is done.

Super Paprer Mario was the best of the first three IMO. Idk why people don't like it. I mean they are all really really good games, but SPM was just my fav.

Maybe I should replay it to make sure, but idk. I thought it was good.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Super Paprer Mario was the best of the first three IMO. Idk why people don't like it. I mean they are all really really good games, but SPM was just my fav.

Maybe I should replay it to make sure, but idk. I thought it was good.
Super was really good, but I prefer the gameplay of the original two. Also, I felt the partners were more "fulfilling" compared to the Pixls.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Do I want to be on the supporter list? not really. But anyway, what you guys should really be doing is uniting with Toad and Daisy etc alliances in order to have a better chance of Sakurai noticing that we want another Mario newcomer at this point.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Do I want to be on the supporter list? not really. But anyway, what you guys should really be doing is uniting with Toad and Daisy etc alliances in order to have a better chance of Sakurai noticing that we want another Mario newcomer at this point.
Ehhhhhh... Maybe for Daisy, but not for Toad. I'm fine with supporting Paper Mario and Sceptile for now.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Is there a point to that statement or are just saying it randomly?
It's both, but more the later. That's not the first time he did that btw...

What's the point? In case you didn't know, it's a thread to support him as playable, not a mario newcomer (or own series depending on how you see him). btw, toad is [almost deconfirmed]. Daisy isn't but still, what's the point to unite any purpose that isn't related to the main one?

If it's for DLC, there's no point of uniting again because it won't be for mario newcomer, but for him. Like, I'm sure there's supporters here that are neutral on toad or/and daisy like I am so there's no point of supporting both for everyone in the support.

It feels like you just want a mario newcomer which there's really no point to support that. What makes a character worthy to support is people wanting him and as far as I can tell, around 120 people here want him which is quite good in the character forum here.

So, nope, there's no point. Can we just wait to have the verdict until doing stuff like this anyway? He's not [deconfirmed] nor [almost deconfirmed] so, wait until the 13 at the latest even though it's most likely no.

I just want to remind you something: you can want the most unlikely choice ever. People seems to not get that support has nothing to do with chances so even if he was unlikely which is not the case now, there shouldn't be any down time like this. If you want someone, you want him, no question here.

Now, with spm, I beat ch3 and as I expected, the gameplay still feels the same as I stated even tough there's more platforming, RPG feels present enough.

ch2 was usual at the beginning (tough, those boomers question I swear that awkward moment when you try to find their purpose), but towards the end, it began to be very interesting. 2-3 is kinda hilarious because it felt like animal crossing and I even wonder if it was a reference for it. Btw, if you're creative enough, the wheel part is not tedious I was able to send a PM while holding the wiimote dpad on the edge of my pc. It's really not difficult.

As for 4-4, that quiz reference just got even better because from the question I chose, it wasn't useful at all. I did skiped the men washroom so I may have skipped the questions I should have chosen, but anyway, boss was way too easy.

ch3 it was really good because I liked the bit theme. the platforming begins to be difficult with the enemy and the tree part could be annoying, but not something that was a big problem. Tough, bowser and blooper fight was really easy. 4-4, I almost died because I didn't have any healing items, but gosh this is a huge parody that is just hilarious. It's another level now because it's almost like myself who care that much about TTYD. It's so hilarious with the amount of TTYD referenced mixed with 4th wall jokes about games fans. Like, I really love this level because I just want to replay it to hear the jokes again.

Boss was a bit more difficult, but kinda repetitive and too simple.

That's really the biggest complain I have so far: the boss fight are just way too easy. In TTYD, I had to think every turn especially with shadow queen, but cortez required strategy too. Here, there's mostly one way to beat a boss that is most of the time obvious or told prior and you repeat the cycle. I know, that's how boss works, but the fact that this task is so easy is kinda annoying. It's almost like a normal enemy. I hope it'll change as I play, but the first 3 ch didn't impressed me in boss and mini boss department.

Story: it's even a bigger tease especially because I got tippi's card and it says something intriguing about the story with the "memory" music. Btw, it's obvious how tippi and those texts are the core of the plot, but it unfolds so slowly that I wonder where you know everything. I have 3 out of 4 heroes, almost all pixl if I check the scroll menu and that includes barry and I just have 3 pure heart and I'm really clueless about those texts. Don't tell me the answers because no spoil, but it teases so much that makes me wondering what it is. And the gossip from the bar are intriguing too.

Can't wait for plot twist :)

As for 100%, it's probably the hardest tattle log I've ever seen. I think I'm going to have fun doing it in the end, but it seems long for the work.

The pit of 100 trials in this game seems interesting.

The puzzle aren't hard and I wonder if they are going to get harder because it seems to be the case.

Now, I'll do ch4 next.

Btw, I forgot to mention, but they even brought back

I somewhat agree and disagree with you on many aspects of your SPM review.

I agree the mechanic isn't as bad as people make it out to be and yes there are a lot of things taken from TTYD, which, of course, is great. However, I am a massive fan of turn based combat and so this loss was felt by me but not overly as I do enjoy platformers as well, just to a lesser degree.

However, maybe because I'm not totally literate with many of things referenced in the game, I was unable to draw as much humour from the game as you clearly have. TTYD was so good with its delivery, however, I don't remember SPM giving me that same feeling.

Yes the Pixls are just like the partners in TTYD, but they lack the soul and the fact that you are taking things that are otherwise Mario's enemies and placing them into battle with him. That for me was one of the major pluses of the first two games. The partners. They are what make the first two Paper Mario games so unique in my opinion. Imagine Link teaming up with various enemies from throughout Hyrule and throwing him into an RPG format. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

The final issue I had with SPM was it lacked replay value. Whereas the first two games just keep calling me back every now and then, I finished SPM once, didn't really play it again and then sold it.

Either way, enjoy @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 and let us know what you think.
It's funny that you mention this because there's memorable jokes so far. I may even have to replay it to get all of them, but it was a fest of good jokes.

So, I guess it could solve replayability, but I have to agree that it's far from TTYD or PM64.

OH, ok, I see for partners. I didn't really liked them because they were enemies, but because of the personality and abilities mostly the later. I have to agree that I could call the Pixl kinda generic, but here, I care most about the ability then the Pixl itself. So, I guess I'm fine with it, but am I ready to call "not the same feel"? Not really, it's more similar than different for me. What I like about partners AND Pixl the most is that you have to use one particular depending on the setup so, many ways to defeat enemies. This forces you to think about which one to choose and having their own usage with humor and personality, that's what I liked.

Here, I agree that they don't talk after you get them, but I have to tell some of the encounter are just wth??? I liked a lot some of them. And that music when you talk to one.

Tippi, however did decrease the humor Gombella had and that I agree, is annoying.

The thing is, those concerns doesn't break design and mechanics which is what I really loved in the series and the mechanics are new, but I love them anyway.

There's one thing I have to tell: I don't think unless a huge mind blown that it's close to PM64/TTYD. I don't think there's that much details present than first 2 games, but there's enough to consider it a good game from the series standpoint. It's like it's worth the try and you'll probably like in a different way than first 2, but not to the same degree if you loved first 2.

However, I still find underrated because the reason to hate it isn't a good one.

Tough, if you just played spm, you would have to try first 2 if you loved spm because there's a high chance that you're going to love them too.

As long as you don't touch sticker star, you're good :)

Finally, the more and more I play spm, the more and more I want Pixl in his moveset.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
There is sticker star ideas that are good, but it's just that with TTYD got repped and that we don't know if there's a WiiU stage, it may still not be sticker star majority.

But I really like the final smash toigh since it gives the same feel as art attack.

They can go together right?

Actually, what about a trailer where both are revealed in said trailer?

Seriously, that would be the best trailer to see Paper Mario beat Jr.

On,, theater, ok I'm dreaming too much :)

Support is really welcome with the dark time we live so please, enjoy yourself until verdict.

Hum... Maybe I should type a 5 hours essay :troll:

Because if you're talking about this, then we can talk:

:troll:

Otherwise, nope his potential isn't too big, it's "infinite".

Do you want to be on the list?

Well, I'm confused (it's the incarnation of a small doll how is that big?).

No seriously, I didn't get the joke.
So THAT'S where you got your profile pic from...
I was wondering what that was :laugh:

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
While a think he sounds like a cool idea, I don't think it might happen after a certain roster leak. He cool but at least a he got a stage.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
While a think he sounds like a cool idea, I don't think it might happen after a certain roster leak. He cool but at least a he got a stage.
Even if Paper Mario isn't in the initial roster, DLC could be a means as to how he could get in.
No Paper Mario shown off in trophy form is a good sign however, considering we already saw one of Paper Peach in the Smash Direct.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Even if Paper Mario isn't in the initial roster, DLC could be a means as to how he could get in.
No Paper Mario shown off in trophy form is a good sign however, considering we already saw one of Paper Peach in the Smash Direct.
Just going to repeat it again: I agree that DLC is likely, but since the stage, so is the initial roster.

Like, for some reasons, the stage is ignored when talking about his chances which is what should make him more likely than usual. Hey, who got that far to get a stage? Not much and most of them are related to one playable character (and I mean like 90% of them). The trophy in the direct I agree is slight hope, but it's nothing compared to a stage that is way more significant than that. Remember that the stage implies more trophies, 2 music and of course, the stage itself. The leak can't deny this because the stage got confirmed already so basically, if the leak denies this, it's fake which is not the case because too much reasons.

When it gets really interesting is when you look at the possible tease which would help him even more and he's already helped.

Believe me guys, I would think the same way as most of you do which is mostly hopping for DLC if it wasn't for that stage. I would still do straw grasp jokes and yes, I would kinda understand the down time in activity.

With the stage however, I'm even surprised to see that much decrease. It's like people forgot about it so just to be sure, this is what happened on July 29:

The only thing that changed is the name got confirmed to be "Paper Mario", a bowser's castle segment from sticker star and the final destination form being a plate grass platform from the Hither Tither Hill segment.

That alone = [pretty likely], but with tease consideration = [very likely].

Which is why I really want to get activity now because it sounds that not much think the same unfortunately which makes support hard when it should be fine like 2 weeks ago.

Now, I'm worried like sal time every time I reply to loose a bump and can't do anything if the thread falls on second page. I'm actually worried when I'll post this message to not get any replies because it still deserves hope.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Hm..now that I think about it...since the stage changes between Hither Tither Hill, and others such as SS Flavion, is it possible for the Final Destination form to randomly be a final destination form of one of these portions of the stage, rather than only the first segment?

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Don't forget that, while we'll most likely get 2 songs from the Paper Mario series, since Sakurai confirmed extra songs to use in Smash Run and Play-in-Sleep mode, there's a possibility for more songs from the Paper Mario series, with only two of them being used in the stage, no?
I'm not losing hope! He still has a great chance, in my opinion.

Just out of curiosity, though...if we were shown an assist trophy from the Paper Mario series, or a boss character on a specific segment of the Paper Mario stage, before Paper Mario himself is revealed...would it help his chances, or hurt them?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Just going to repeat it again: I agree that DLC is likely, but since the stage, so is the initial roster.

Like, for some reasons, the stage is ignored when talking about his chances which is what should make him more likely than usual. Hey, who got that far to get a stage? Not much and most of them are related to one playable character (and I mean like 90% of them). The trophy in the direct I agree is slight hope, but it's nothing compared to a stage that is way more significant than that. Remember that the stage implies more trophies, 2 music and of course, the stage itself. The leak can't deny this because the stage got confirmed already so basically, if the leak denies this, it's fake which is not the case because too much reasons.

When it gets really interesting is when you look at the possible tease which would help him even more and he's already helped.

Believe me guys, I would think the same way as most of you do which is mostly hopping for DLC if it wasn't for that stage. I would still do straw grasp jokes and yes, I would kinda understand the down time in activity.

With the stage however, I'm even surprised to see that much decrease. It's like people forgot about it so just to be sure, this is what happened on July 29:

The only thing that changed is the name got confirmed to be "Paper Mario", a bowser's castle segment from sticker star and the final destination form being a plate grass platform from the Hither Tither Hill segment.

That alone = [pretty likely], but with tease consideration = [very likely].

Which is why I really want to get activity now because it sounds that not much think the same unfortunately which makes support hard when it should be fine like 2 weeks ago.

Now, I'm worried like sal time every time I reply to loose a bump and can't do anything if the thread falls on second page. I'm actually worried when I'll post this message to not get any replies because it still deserves hope.
I still believe that Paper Mario has a chance. I even made a point earlier in a different place that the PM franchise got a stage consisting of Sticker Star and one of the more fan popular installments that is Thousand Year Door. He's every bit as relevant as others who have attributed to the success of Nintendo because he continued on the RPG branch of the Mario series but in a different aspect which is a paper world of the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm not forgetting him anytime soon. Maybe I just need to keep mentioning Lucahjin and Paper Mario together for more support. lol

Flurrie Winfrey.PNG

She looks like Oprah... By the way, once you see it you can't unsee it. xD

Hm..now that I think about it...since the stage changes between Hither Tither Hill, and others such as SS Flavion, is it possible for the Final Destination form to randomly be a final destination form of one of these portions of the stage, rather than only the first segment?

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Don't forget that, while we'll most likely get 2 songs from the Paper Mario series, since Sakurai confirmed extra songs to use in Smash Run and Play-in-Sleep mode, there's a possibility for more songs from the Paper Mario series, with only two of them being used in the stage, no?

Just out of curiosity, though...if we were shown an assist trophy from the Paper Mario series, or a boss character on a specific segment of the Paper Mario stage, before Paper Mario himself is revealed...would it help his chances, or hurt them?
As long as it isn't Paper Mario himself or his partners, then I'd say it would help his chances although I think he's already good on help at this point. He doesn't need any more Power Rush badges. :p

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Roster in leak confirmed for incomplete by our main man Sakurai. Go, Paper Mario. Soar in the wind...

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Roster in leak confirmed for incomplete by our main man Sakurai. Go, Paper Mario. Soar in the wind...
Just might not want to sail too far in Airplane mode. :p As The D1 would say...

We livin'!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that Sakurai should be aware of the leak anyway so at the same time, it's even more real, but at least he's telling the truth now: I don't want to see anyone thinking finals from now on because it officially got [deconfirmed]. Note: the leak is real, but it's the roster which is NOT final.

Just might not want to sail too far in Airplane mode. :p As The D1 would say...

We livin'!
? We always lived and I was awae about the lock so I knew it wasn't final.

But seriusly, that's quite amazing to still be one the few remaining support threads here and we are are so close to release. It's worth mentioning that we are one of the lasts.

The thing is, it's confusing. Technically, yes it would help him if the asist isn't him, but at the same time, if a tease really occured, there's no way we should know that until he's revealed. So, revealing one might contradicts the tease, but not only I don't expect this to happen before reveal, doing it without tease consideration would help him.

It's just that it might hurt him in a way and help the other. I expect to not hear outside of the stage itself on that series because if you want to know what I think will happen is that several repping elements like a WiiU stage are currently hidden and are waiting their reveals.

That's how I view this tease. Since we only know about the stage, it's fair to say that it would continue like this.

Ok, so, I think Sakurai implied that there's at least one newcomer left if it was to tell tha the leak is incomplete. See, if it was related to the leak, it would mainly be to tell people that there's more characters and that confirms one newcomer at the very least. I know Ridley has too much to deny him to not be in and I think mewtwo has decent chance as well as some cuts in the game, but there's a spot remaining for him so I don't think it's really a problem for now.

Keep hoping because now, I hope people would get here since the leak was not final since its beginning.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really liked Super Paper Mario actually! Never played the original (unfortunately) but I liked it as much as The Thousant Year Door. Which should say about how much I liked it, cause TTYD is simply amazing, and one of the GameCube's best games.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Random guy in. Always been a huge supporter for Paper Mario. He and Tetra were the first characters I thought of wanting for SSB4. Given the roster leak though and the very large abundance of Mario characters already, I'm a bit wary of his chances. Besides, Animal Crossing and Electroplankton both got stages in Brawl without character reps, so that's a thing. With any luck though, we might end up getting him as an alt. costume for Mario or G&W.

Just sayin'.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Random guy in. Always been a huge supporter for Paper Mario. He and Tetra were the first characters I thought of wanting for SSB4. Given the roster leak though and the very large abundance of Mario characters already, I'm a bit wary of his chances. Besides, Animal Crossing and Electroplankton both got stages in Brawl without character reps, so that's a thing. With any luck though, we might end up getting him as an alt. costume for Mario or G&W.

Just sayin'.
I would really like to do like the ridley thread and make sure people read the same section in the OP, but with how much risk the thread can get a stall, I have to repeat it by replying or change the tittle which isn't a better idea.

Because I just said in a post on this page MOST of stages has at least 1 playable rep specifically related to it. When it becomes really helpful is when you consider the numbers and that's including every smash game btw. Brawl wasn't that much, melee was maybe not at all, ssb64 don't count for dev reasons, but so far, this game seems to be really close to brawl in those proportions. We already have nintendogs and ballon fight, but again, the later could be for rob so you only have 1 left and when you add the leaky one, not much remains to be done in stage rep.

So, yes, it's a thing to not have any series as rep, but here's the problem: nintendogs is deconfirmed and ballon fight is almost and could even rep rob. This stage would either rep mario or another series in which case, both makes paper mario likely, but the thing that not much consider is the tease theory.

You can check the chances section in the OP, but basically, the name "Paper Mario" has to imply an overall repping of the series. That's quite unusually hight attention for mario rep especially with the TTYD section that alone makes a WiiU stage likely if you check the series consistency with home console. The name imo makes this tease pretty likely, but even if you deliberatly ignore it, getting a stage still makes him likely anyway.

The leak can't change this because the stage was there too. No one predicted 4 fe rep as well as 7 mario rep so getting an 8th that is related to a stage reveal and that has a good teasing possibility is far from a strech. That's even ignoring the possibility of repping his own series which would scre up this logic.

Like, I don't know why it suddenly becomes to not be clear, but repping doesn't matter that much.

I think I have to do something to prevent me from repeating this because it's tiring to do it.

Just as an FYI, but don't worry, you'll be added to the list.

But please, it makes even less sense to be an alt than a clone and clone alone wouldn't even do the purpose intended considering dr mario fufills this purpose.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree. Paper Mario being an alt costume seems a bit unnecessary and just wouldn't feel right or feel like it's Paper Mario. Just because G&W has a hammer doesn't make him Paper Mario. No other character can fit his 2D boots, not even the 3D Mario.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I really liked Super Paper Mario actually! Never played the original (unfortunately) but I liked it as much as The Thousant Year Door. Which should say about how much I liked it, cause TTYD is simply amazing, and one of the GameCube's best games.
You should try to get on that. The original is technically my favorite of the 3 (don't bother trying to convince me there are 4, because there aren't) and is really worth a try, especially if you love TTYD. The music in 64 is really good, and it's just super fun. I think you can get it for around $10 (convert that if you live elsewhere) on the Wii Virtual Console.
The only one I've played is Super Paper Mario. Kill me if you want.
Nah, I won't kill you. Super Paper Mario is a great game. Though, you probably should at least play one of the first two if not both. You're missing out on quite a lot, and I'm sure you'll love both of them if you loved SPM.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
I would really like to do like the ridley thread and make sure people read the same section in the OP, but with how much risk the thread can get a stall, I have to repeat it by replying or change the tittle which isn't a better idea.

Because I just said in a post on this page MOST of stages has at least 1 playable rep specifically related to it. When it becomes really helpful is when you consider the numbers and that's including every smash game btw. Brawl wasn't that much, melee was maybe not at all, ssb64 don't count for dev reasons, but so far, this game seems to be really close to brawl in those proportions. We already have nintendogs and ballon fight, but again, the later could be for rob so you only have 1 left and when you add the leaky one, not much remains to be done in stage rep.

So, yes, it's a thing to not have any series as rep, but here's the problem: nintendogs is deconfirmed and ballon fight is almost and could even rep rob. This stage would either rep mario or another series in which case, both makes paper mario likely, but the thing that not much consider is the tease theory.

You can check the chances section in the OP, but basically, the name "Paper Mario" has to imply an overall repping of the series. That's quite unusually hight attention for mario rep especially with the TTYD section that alone makes a WiiU stage likely if you check the series consistency with home console. The name imo makes this tease pretty likely, but even if you deliberatly ignore it, getting a stage still makes him likely anyway.

The leak can't change this because the stage was there too. No one predicted 4 fe rep as well as 7 mario rep so getting an 8th that is related to a stage reveal and that has a good teasing possibility is far from a strech. That's even ignoring the possibility of repping his own series which would scre up this logic.

Like, I don't know why it suddenly becomes to not be clear, but repping doesn't matter that much.

I think I have to do something to prevent me from repeating this because it's tiring to do it.

Just as an FYI, but don't worry, you'll be added to the list.

But please, it makes even less sense to be an alt than a clone and clone alone wouldn't even do the purpose intended considering dr mario fufills this purpose.
You made some great points there, and the fact about the stages makes me me think Paper Mario will indeed be on the roster at launch.

Stage List:

I'm going to state the level name first, and then the character representation they have in the new smash.
Battlefield- Smash Bros.
Final Destination- Smash Bros.
SM3D Land- Mario Franchise
Golden Plains- Mario Franchise
Hither Thither Hill- N/A
Rainbow Road- Mario Franchise
Mushroomy Kingdom- Mario Franchise
Jungle Japes- DK
Gerudo Valley- Zelda
Spirit Train- Zelda
Yoshi's Island- Yoshi
Brinstar- Metroid
N's Castle- Pokemon
Prism Tower- Pokemon
Corneria- Star Fox
Grand Prix- F-Zero
Arena Ferox- Fire Emblem
Tortimer Island- Animal Crossing
Gameboy- Kirby?
Reset Bomb Forest- Kid Icarus
Warioware Inc.- Wario
Distant Planet- Pikmin
Boxing Ring- Punch-Out!!
Magicant- Earthbound
Living Room-N/A
Tomadachi Life-Mii Fighters
Pictochat/Rhythm Heaven-N/A
Find Mii- Mii Fighters
Balloon Fight- N/A
Flat Zone 2- Mr. Game and Watch
Guar Plains- Xenoblade
Wily Castle- Megaman
Pac-Maze- Pac-Man
Green Hill Zone- Sonic

The only levels without playable representation are Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Pictochat/Rhythm Heaven, and Balloon Fight. Nintendogs has already been shown to have an assist trophy, and Balloon Fight could be R.O.B's stage, but the Balloon Fight character is already implemented into Villager with his Up Special. The Pictochat/ Rhythm Heaven stage could have representation with the Chorus Men if they're in, but if it's a Pictochat stage I don't see how it could have a playable character. This just leaves one stage without representation thus far, and that's Hither Thither Hill. I don't see why Sakurai would implement a stage from an unrepped franchise, unless he was hinting at something.........or someone......

That was just my 2 cents, but I want to reiterate that I do think Paper Mario has a high chance of being playable, it's just in the off-chance that he isn't, I think he will be a DLC character.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
My (basic) moveset for Paper Mario would be:

Standard special move: Hammer (alt: Cudge); simply damages, Cudge is slightly smaller, does less knockback, but deals more damage.
Up special move: Parakarry (alt: Yoshi); Parakarry lifts Paper Mario up slightly, and carries him horizontally in the direction Paper Mario is facing. Yoshi only carries him horizontally, but goes slightly farther.
Down special move: Bombette (alt: Bobbery); Paper Mario sets down Bombette, who walks in the direction Paper Mario was facing. Initiating the move while Bombette is already out causes her to explode. Does about the same amount of damage as Link's bomb. Bobbery can be held as long as down and B are held, and does slightly more knockback, but slightly less damage.
Side special move: Kooper (alt: Koops); Paper Mario jumps on Kooper's shell, and kicks him forward. Koops can be held and long as left/right and B are held. Koops can go through multiple enemies.
Final Smash: Earth Tremor; Paper Mario jumps on the Bronze Star, and is invincible. The screen shakes, and after about five seconds, about 30% of damage is dealt, and high knockback is dealt.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

Standard special move: Hammer (alt: Cudge); simply damages, Cudge is slightly smaller, does less knockback, but deals more damage.
Up special move: Parakarry (alt: Yoshi); Parakarry lifts Paper Mario up slightly, and carries him horizontally in the direction Paper Mario is facing. Yoshi only carries him horizontally, but goes slightly farther.
Down special move: Bombette (alt: Bobbery); Paper Mario sets down Bombette, who walks in the direction Paper Mario was facing. Initiating the move while Bombette is already out causes her to explode. Does about the same amount of damage as Link's bomb. Bobbery can be held as long as down and B are held, and does slightly more knockback, but slightly less damage.
Side special move: Kooper (alt: Koops); Paper Mario jumps on Kooper's shell, and kicks him forward. Koops can be held and long as left/right and B are held. Koops can go through multiple enemies.
Final Smash: Earth Tremor; Paper Mario jumps on the Bronze Star, and is invincible. The screen shakes, and after about five seconds, about 30% of damage is dealt, and high knockback is dealt.
All right, we could definitely use more spit balling on Paper Mario's movesets. As much as I do love Paper Mario, I could never come up with one that feels in character to him as I want him to be perfect in design.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree. Paper Mario being an alt costume seems a bit unnecessary and just wouldn't feel right or feel like it's Paper Mario. Just because G&W has a hammer doesn't make him Paper Mario. No other character can fit his 2D boots, not even the 3D Mario.
Since you came after I said it, I found pertinent to repeat it, but I realised the simple fact of being a clone can't be enough consistent from dev or design perpective.

Like, let's just even imagine and assume that Sakurai made some dubvious decisions that are unlikely doable for several reasons. So, let's just asssume that Sakurai would make him playable as a clone. It means that his movesets HAS to be similar enough to say that it would be like saying "mario alternative". It has to generally FEEL like him in gameplay and moves BUT, it HAS to not be a copy paste because in this case, it's an alt. So, most of the moves and mayabe every moves (not arbirtrary) would have SLIGHT modification comparing to the base and of course, this also implies that there would be a SLIGHT modification in the general playstyle of the base.

This is a clone from gameplay perspective, but you also have to consider the development context.

If there's reasons to implement clones, it's because of the 2 purposes of having the best roster possible (he even declared that) and the fact that they have limited time because as you probably know, time is mobey and Nintendo despite putting a lot of efforts in their game, they need money like every company in buisness. So, the dev time is limited and it has to be used efficiently, but when you don't have enough time to allocate a whole NEW character in the game as playable, the purpose of having a broad roster makes clones really interesting.

A clone is BASED on ALREADY made contents so they don't start a 100% from strach, but partially. Since it modifies SLIGHTLY the playstyle, it gives a little more depth to it and is fuffiling the broad roster goal. Even better, it reduces a lot the time needed comparing to do NEW contents that couldn't be allocated so they still can make the roster vroader while time couldn't be allocated. In the end, it's benefical for the game since anyway, there's more original playstyle than clone so you only have some derivations in some cases that makes them deeper.

Aside from that, that is why I really don't mind clones AS LONG AS IT MAKES SENSE FROM DESIGN AND DEV PERPECTIVES!!!

This is where it gets tricky. Melee has a lot of free time so putting ganondorf as clone just to add character was in this context excusable. In brawl though, It shouldn't be the same and it may has to do with time constraints, but I would like if it's changed in this game. This one is a case when It doesn't really make sense to be a clone just because he has the same body type which is why I bother about those cases. What ganondorf has anything to do with c falcon anyway?

While you have toon link which not only has motive to even get a spot, but also is from the series standpoint would be a good thing to make him as clone. I said SLIGHT modification of the whole playstyle. You could try to dish the base and make a new one, but in reality, the character works similarly than the base. That's why it makes sense for him to be a clone as well as dr mario.

Now, Paper Mario: it would be pointless. You have 2 choices as base: Mario which is logical and mr game and watch which is the closest to its artstyle. I'm going to start by the later because the problem is more obvious.

The animation clearly contradicts eachother. G&W is animated with frames delay to give its feels while Paper Mario has crazy fluidity because of the paper design making everything foldable. So, either they break this design which btw, smash is known to not contradict design in repping (don't start me on that because there's so much example that they want to rep the design) OR, they would take G&W and redo the animations more fluid. so it doesn't break anything. Problem: I said the goal of a clone is being less demanding in times to add a character; from a character who doesn't have that much different frames, revamping them with more frames would just make the idea pointless. Not to mention the colors consistencies and even moves. Yeah, the hammer, how do you clone it if it has to at least have animation? The same as G&W or his hammer? They can't do the later because it would imply too much stuff that would need to be done but the former breaks the whole design. It's really useless to do this.

But what people usually don't get is that Mario, the logical same person, wouldn't even make this better. He could have his neutral b, but then how to make the fireballs? Redo them? Probably could be done, but what about being in 2D? The design to be in fact not matching? And what about this: If a mario clone from melee has been done that requires even less work because they could base him on previous game, why trying to complicate the dev time if another alternative would do the EXACT same thing? Also, why even trying to work on him as clone while it's not even logical to be one considering all the stuff in the OP. If you don't know him btw, most of those stuff aren't far fetched, but really fits him and is directly from his series. You would not only waste time, but oppurtunities that should be taken on dr mario who is fine to be a clone.

There's so much reasons against this outcome for both Sakurai and Paper Mario fans that it makes the idea pointless and so, very unlikely to happen. When it comes to the point of being enough to maybe have his own series, that should tell you how far it can go.

Which is why I hate the "another mario" argument so much because I consider it as checking the cover to judge the book.

You made some great points there, and the fact about the stages makes me me think Paper Mario will indeed be on the roster at launch.

Stage List:

I'm going to state the level name first, and then the character representation they have in the new smash.
Battlefield- Smash Bros.
Final Destination- Smash Bros.
SM3D Land- Mario Franchise
Golden Plains- Mario Franchise
Hither Thither Hill- N/A
Rainbow Road- Mario Franchise
Mushroomy Kingdom- Mario Franchise
Jungle Japes- DK
Gerudo Valley- Zelda
Spirit Train- Zelda
Yoshi's Island- Yoshi
Brinstar- Metroid
N's Castle- Pokemon
Prism Tower- Pokemon
Corneria- Star Fox
Grand Prix- F-Zero
Arena Ferox- Fire Emblem
Tortimer Island- Animal Crossing
Gameboy- Kirby?
Reset Bomb Forest- Kid Icarus
Warioware Inc.- Wario
Distant Planet- Pikmin
Boxing Ring- Punch-Out!!
Magicant- Earthbound
Living Room-N/A
Tomadachi Life-Mii Fighters
Pictochat/Rhythm Heaven-N/A
Find Mii- Mii Fighters
Balloon Fight- N/A
Flat Zone 2- Mr. Game and Watch
Guar Plains- Xenoblade
Wily Castle- Megaman
Pac-Maze- Pac-Man
Green Hill Zone- Sonic

The only levels without playable representation are Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Pictochat/Rhythm Heaven, and Balloon Fight. Nintendogs has already been shown to have an assist trophy, and Balloon Fight could be R.O.B's stage, but the Balloon Fight character is already implemented into Villager with his Up Special. The Pictochat/ Rhythm Heaven stage could have representation with the Chorus Men if they're in, but if it's a Pictochat stage I don't see how it could have a playable character. This just leaves one stage without representation thus far, and that's Hither Thither Hill. I don't see why Sakurai would implement a stage from an unrepped franchise, unless he was hinting at something.........or someone......

That was just my 2 cents, but I want to reiterate that I do think Paper Mario has a high chance of being playable, it's just in the off-chance that he isn't, I think he will be a DLC character.
Here's the thing: nothing can change the generic name so it could even be mario rep and still rep him specifically like the galaxy stage for rosalina. It would still rep his series as a whole and take quite a lot of spaces in mario series rep so making him likely. If own series though, then it's almost a confirmation because series HAS rep if they have icons...100% and never changed. Which is why I also consider the tease, but the stage alone is a very solid proof of him being likely.
All right, we could definitely use more spit balling on Paper Mario's movesets. As much as I do love Paper Mario, I could never come up with one that feels in character to him as I want him to be perfect in design.
There's a ton in the OP so just check them.

This is really appreciated even if partial.

Thanks will put it in the OP later, but if you want to make a full, I'll just replace this one.

Btw, I really like these type of posts in those time so, I encourage you to try it.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I'm just saying if you want to get noticed then you're gonna have to do something other than a small thread with 120 supporters.

#no-reply

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm just saying if you want to get noticed then you're gonna have to do something other than a small thread with 120 supporters.

#no-reply
And? There's nothing wrong with a thread filled with 120 supporters. It's still a noticeable number for support.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

#no-reply

You know, it's pretty ironic to see no reply while you did replied.

Because there was no point to this post. Not only it was noticed because of the stage (which I have to assume, you weren't there where we did pages), but also, do you really think that going alone of other sites would be good while smashboards is more friendly here?

I am still trying to figure out exactly the purpose of your last 2 messages because frankly, you seem to take this thread as a joke and in which case, don't go here.

Like, does it really matter? Smashboards is broad enough for me to lead this thread which btw, there was no activity before. I got a twitter campaign proposal for DLC that I'm up for it, but I reached the conclusion with @ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 that it can wait a bit more.

In fact, not only you don't seem to care, but if you really would, you wouldn't post this unless you WANT it to get noticed, but for myself, the only contact I have that is trusted is almo on twitch (btw, just pmed him) which has 500 viewers as average and I'm a mod there due to my glitch hunting.

Also, please the thread is down because of a leak and you know this and you also know that the reason behind is kinda bad too.

This is a support thread so please, don't post comments like these.

Really, I hope those comments will get out because I'm becoming kinda tired of this. In any case, ignore exists if it becomes too anoying and I wonder if I should be strict for my ignore list.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141

Cool, I wanna give this a shot!

Weight:Light
Speed:Normal
Jump Height:Normal
Archetype:Glass Cannon
:GCA: Swings hammer :GCA: swings again :GCA:swings one last time sending opponent flying
Dash :GCA: Paper Mario spins while swinging his hammer
Tilts
:GCU: Paper Mario does an uppercut that looks like his jumping animation
:GCR: Smacks the opponent with a slaphammer
:GCD:Paper Mario uses the iron jump to jump and land sending out a small shockwave
Smashes
:GCCU: Paper Mario uses a spike hat sticker and jumps upward(if held becomes shiny)
:GCCR:Pulls out a iron hammer which twists Mario back the more he charges(if held becomes switches to ultra hammer causing massive damage and knockback)
:GCCD:Paper Mario pulls out a quake hammer and smashes the ground creating a large shockwave
Aerials
:GCA: Paper Mario stretches his feet downward which can sweetspot if the feet hit the opponent
:GCU:Paper Mario does a spin in the air which attacks enemies on both sides
:GCR: Paper Mario throws a hurlhammer forward which moves in an arc
:GCL:Paper Mario smacks behind him with his wooden hammer
:GCD:Paper Mario does a butt-bounce, but if he lands on an opponent, he bounces like in Toon Link's down-air from Brawl
Specials
:GCB: Appeal- Paper Mario would put his hands in the air and face the crowd(you), as stars fly into him. If you appeal 5 times, Paper Mario gets a buff to all his attacks and he gets stronger partners (This buff lasts for 30 seconds).
:GCU::GCB: Paper Mario jumps on Baby Yoshi who flutters upwards. While Baby Yoshi flutters, if it connects with an enemy, each kick from the flutter would do 3% and could hit up to 6 times, earning 18%.
[After Buff]- The Partner switches to Flurrie whom Paper Mario holds onto. She flies diagonally and does 24% damage if you hit someone while doing the attack. She would also slam downwards doing a body slam after flying. The attack would be like Ike's aether.
:GCR::GCB: Paper Mario would jump on Koops who go into his shell and would be sent out a good distance from him. The attack would do 8% if hit, but if you're hit by the sweet spot(The farthest Koops goes out) it would do 20%.
[After Buff]- Koops would be replaced by Bobbery as Mario throws him forward. Bobbery would then walk forward until touching someone where he would who explode and do 30% damage.
:GCD::GCB:Paper Mario would tuck into a stunned position, and if someone strikes him, he would get pulled underground by Vivian, and the opponent would get burned and fly back with 8% damage.
[After Buff] Vivian would be replaced by Ms. Mowz who would jump at the attacker knocking them away, and then would walk up to Mario and use Smooch, healing him by 10%.(Attack would do 10% damage)
Grabs
Grab-Paper Mario throws out Thoreau who traps an opponent in a box and brings them close to Paper Mario.
Pummel-Paper Mario bashes the opponent with Cudge.
Throws
:GCU:
Paper Mario places Boomer down who blows the opponent into the air
:GCR:Paper Mario uses Thoreau to throw the opponent forwards
:GCL:Paper Mario uses Thoreau to throw the opponent behind him
:GCD:Thudley appears in the sky and drops on the opponent
Final Smash
Bingo!- A lottery appears on the screen where you must press A to stop the wheels. Matching at least two Mushrooms will restore the players health.(2 Mushrooms=100%, 3 Mushrooms=Full Heal) Matching Flowers will put Paper Mario in his buff mode.(2 Flowers=Buff mode for 30 seconds, 3 Flowers=60 seconds) Matching stars will drop stars on the stage like Ness' Final Smash.(2 stars= normal amount of stars, 3 stars=double the amount of stars) Finally, matching Sprites will give you all of the above!(2 Sprites=100% heal, buff mode for 30 seconds, and stars/ 3 Sprites= Full heal, buff for 60 seconds, and double the stars). However, if you don't match two of any type, nothing happens, like a missed Final Smash.
Paper Mario Colors
1.Red/Blue(Normal)
2.Red/White(Fire Mario)
3.Yellow/Purple(Wario)
4.Purple/Black(Waluigi)
Paper Luigi Colors(Alternate costume)
5.Paper Luigi Costume
6.White/Green(Fire Luigi)
7.Red/Pink
8.Mr.L costume
Taunts
:GCU:Paper Mario Faces the screen and gives a thumbs up
:GCL::GCR:Paper Mario grabs his hat and tilts it forward like when he wins a battle in TTYD
:GCD:Tattle- Goombella pops out beside Paper Mario and gives information about the opponent
Example::4tlink: HP: 120 ATK: 20 DEF:10
A shorter and younger version of Link. He may be shorter, but he is faster so watch out!
Side Notes
Entrance-Paper Mario jumps out of a paper pipe
Victory-Paper Mario gives a thumbs up to the player
Victory theme-First 17 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1qSnOhYWUA
Wii-Mote SFX-Does Paper Mario's jump sound
Stage Music
Battle Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYki-9eO4Y
Rawk Hawk Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lmaPnnD4g
Doopliss Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tx6h2lDw4I
We Believe in You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlPX8MrqhY
*Spoilers for Super Paper Mario*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmfyJw1IOU
Assist Trophies
Count Bleck-Opens cape and sends out shockwaves like Tabuu
Doopliss-Runs at enemies and uses Head Missile on them(Flies at them head first) and can shapeshift into shadow versions of the fighters.

This took awhile to make, but it was worth it!
Hope you guys enjoy!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom