• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to figure out the up and down "jackets".

When I want to fool around with this, a good place is Yoshi's Pipes. Right from the starting position, you can YYG off the blocks in the middle, then equip either A jacket. All you have to do is land while the hitbox is still attached to your body (which is why the up is harder then the down).

Something else cool I found out is that a single hitbox CAN hit the same thing more than once...as long as it hits 12 other things in between. YYG on Mushroom Kingdom 1 and you can easily break 12 blocks and use the very same jacket on your opponent again. You also could spawn items (in training or development mode) and hit those.

I almost made a video detailing the existance and wherefores of the up and down things, but with Simna's vid always on the horizon, I didn't want to steal his thunder, so to speak.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
Wow good work you two. In a perfect world you guys would be the Professors of YYG 101 at the Smash World Academy. Sigh...perfect world.

westsoccaplaya

Smash Rookie
This noob is very confused....can sum1 post a link to a vid that will clear this glitch up for me? The instructions just arent very clear.....

T Bird

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, i'm lazy, really lazy. I started using ness recently and looked for some yoyo glitch stuff. It's still very confusing. How often is this useful in a match? Do I have to be God to pull it off? Anyhow, I think you should make a new thread with all the info. you have, or just update the original post. It's confusing to try and go through all of these discoveries at once and figure out what is and is not necassary now. Maybe add a lingo section? Also, for moves that have a sweet spot (the bat/bair) does the sweet spot hit the opponent when "recalling" your hit box?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
SuperDoodleMan said:
I almost made a video detailing the existance and wherefores of the up and down things, but with Simna's vid always on the horizon, I didn't want to steal his thunder, so to speak.

Hahaha so not just mofo and I knew about this^_^ Back when mofo was gonna make a yyg vid i wanted to keep thunder jacket secret so it would be special for his vid, but when that fell thru i didnt want ppl to lose interest so i stopped asking ppl to not talk about the thunder jacket, but i kept the other stuff to myself for my next vid

I didn't know about that item/12 hit replenish thing. That's very interesting.

Jenius

Smash Rookie
Is the mofo vid out yet? I read through all the pages and couldn't locate it.

I'm picking up ness, though I'm not very good at wavedashing, and this glitch intrigued me, so I tried it out and I can even pull it off a few times in a match against a level 9 computer.

A couple of questions/comments

A: How do you hit with the strong hit and still get the glitch to work? I can do a soft hit on a walking/standstill/jumping opponent fairly easily, but a hard hit that glitches just isn't working for me. (By hard I mean the yo yo launches the guy into mid air).

B: Why not just smack my opponent with the bat? Pretty much every time I made one the comp would just run into it and take a couple extra damage, it seems like if they are at the 100% required to set up the yo yo, I'd rather just hit them with a bat/grab/short hop DJC headbutt during their lag rather then do the glitch.

C: No one has mentioned this so I figured I could point it out, if fox (haven’t tested it on falco) is around 150/160 and he does his thing where he drops off the ledge props up and uses his left/right b (I think it's called fox illusion) and he runs into your yo yo with it, it sets the glitch up pretty darn easily. It also works if they just randomly fox illusion you on the map, I just never see anyone use it for anything other then recover so I figured I'd point out when best to counter it.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Why glitch? 1) You get a big fat ranged grab. 2)Jacket attacks are lagless. 3)Jacket attacks are lagless. 4)Jacket attacks....yeah you get it. 5) People get weak with fear. 6) Jackets block projectiles even after hitting the opponent.

If you are doing a combo and the final hit on it can be an upsmash or another attack and that other attack will kill them then by all means just kill them(unless you wanna keep it going^_^). My favorite case scenario is when upsmash kills them...then I get a kill and a glitch on their next stock.

EDIT: oh btw Mofo never made his vid

Jenius

Smash Rookie
Sorry to post the same question twice (it went unanswered the first time), but how do you hard hit with the yo-yo and still get the glitch?

And as a continuation on my "why glitch" section, basically the glitch can only be done as a counter from what I've seen, because it comes out too slow to use it in any other situation, jackets are indeed nice, but is a jacket worth it over just shorthopping a djc'ed headbutt and proceeding to air **** my opponent? Or just a nice beating with the bat, ness has some pretty nice edgeguarding, a beat with the bat off the edge can mean game over pretty easily if followed up well.

To me this looks like a fancy trick to use if you are just playing with a couple of friends for fun, but not really more useful then just starting a combo/edgeguard could be.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Watch this video: http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0V8F36JEF3CLI1V2UUCB9K5XEA

Why glitch? Jacket attacks are lagless. This means that if you equip a jacket rather than just doing that attack you don't have to wait for the normal lag of that attack. You can jump up through them and send them flying up and meet them there at the top of your jump and immediately followup.

Jenius

Smash Rookie
Jackets are lagless but the yo-yo isn't, and if the only time to glitch can happen is during the lag of your opponent's attack, unless you miss or something, your lag isn't going to matter much, so rather then glitching, giving myself the jacket, and then hitting them with uair, why not just leap at them in the first place with uair? Then I don't have to worry about my next attack being a pk shove.

I watched the vid and I still think rather then doing the yo yo it would be smarter to keep the combo going, but that's probably just opinion and see'in as I'm no where near as good as you, yours counts more.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Jenius said:
Jackets are lagless but the yo-yo isn't, and if the only time to glitch can happen is during the lag of your opponent's attack, unless you miss or something, your lag isn't going to matter much, so rather then glitching, giving myself the jacket, and then hitting them with uair, why not just leap at them in the first place with uair? Then I don't have to worry about my next attack being a pk shove.

I watched the vid and I still think rather then doing the yo yo it would be smarter to keep the combo going, but that's probably just opinion and see'in as I'm no where near as good as you, yours counts more.
First part: If you don't have time to upsmash then don't but if you do then you get yoyo damage+jacket damage+no lag=instant followup=more hits=extra hurting.

second: yyg is what keeps the combo going...in that vid i purposefully put in the upsmashes in place of combo finishers; you can either finish the combo or yyg and continue it.

Besides all the combo into yyg, upsmash isn't so slow like Volcano kick or PK Flash that you can't simply tech chase or dash dance into it. Oh yeah and don't forget about the fear part of the equation. (that's me avoiding the use of the words "Fear Factor"^_^)

Reik

Smash Ace
Glitch Fakeout?

You've probably already thought of this, Simna, but I'll post it just in case.

Okay. Say you set the trap-box. What if instead of normally equipping the spike jacket, you foot-cancel your d-air so that it only looks like you did. Ness would even make his D-air yell, and you'd still have the trap set.

Then you run off the stage and pretend to hanger into the Thunder Jacket (preferably from further away) and your opponent gets blasted with the recall attack! :p

It would only work on someone who knows a little about the jackets though.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone pulled off the YYG in a match without trying? I just did. WITH HIS DOWNSMASH O_O

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Wow....Gnight so now it sounds you and VilNess have done dsmash yyglitch...I cant get that business to...

SDM can i get some frame info plz?

EDIT: lol Reik...my mind games with it thus far have been saying "****!" as if i screwed up

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
what up kids! its me ender. tomorow im gonna play simna and im gonna win a lot so if he seems sad when he posts next time you know why. also im getting an AR soon, so ill be able to help out little simnster with frame **** so we can learn more about yyg. Im not really a ness player but you guys are cool. you are like the dog that would be a ninja if it was a human. you know, one of those cool dogs.

hooru

Smash Rookie
ender said:
Im not really a ness player but you guys are cool. you are like the dog that would be a ninja if it was a human. you know, one of those cool dogs.
0_o

Ninjas are awesome!!!
Simna, it's late but I think i remember something about a new video... If i'm not imagining it, what all will be in there in regards to YYG?

VilNess

Smash Champion
btw. my brother did once a dsmash YYg on me too... it´s definetly possible.
Simna, get to work! ^_^ Ness isn´t fully explored yet!

btw. I haven´t tested this with jackets yet, but if you attack with a dsmash and with a jacket, will the effect of the jacket be in the later part too (where it goes forward?)

Just a point out: pivoted dsmashes are pretty cool, since you can run towards enemy and make the strong part be on their side at first. this is useful if your enemy is near the ledge and (s)he likes to roll away to middle stage from there.

ender: hey ´sup dog? going cool. don´t win Simna, he´ll (hopefully) jacket you :)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
yeah...extending your jacket works with dsmash too

and **** as soon as i find out how to yyg with dsmash consistantly...holy ****....im seeing combos into upsmash yyg that end in dsmash yyg to open another combo....****

everyone this is a group effort! go out and figure out how to dsmash yyg!

EDIT: OMG CALL THE POLICE! I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO DSMASH YYG CONSISTANTLY! I HAVE 911 POSTS! (this is a reference to the phone number 911, not to the date September 11)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Yeah, but i´m getting pretty close to 1337 :p
actually, I hate that word...and pretty much every else Netslang. I prefer Rocking words! :ness: :smash:

I couldn´t get dsmash glitch too...
But I found now that whenever I get a YYG I just play it safe and equip a Spike jacket so enemy can´t disarm the strong hit (makes a great edgeguard against Fastfallers if you get an yyg near edge, like taunt+spike jacket :D :D) and then I switch to thunder jacket, it is SO STRONG!
now I can safely change to thunderjacket because my enemies don´t usually want to jump on me and get spiked. Though I still more preferably change the jacket on the stage, not on ledge, because there is always the danger that they jump on your thunder. On the other hand it is very hard to steal the thunder if you thunderslide (which I very often do) to ledgeblast.

I think YYG and upsmash moreso is finally coming to be a very effective part to Ness´ metagame. even if they crouch cancel the yoyo they take 18% and it is hard to punish that way (multiple hit) if they roll behind you they risk eating the back part of the yoyo and set themselves up for a bair. and if you do get a YYG there you can just go to spike jacket to even thunderjacket. if they don´t have uber WD they have serious problems avoiding it.

Thanks Simna for not giving up on YYG.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Yeah...we gotta do what we can now^_^

It won't be too long before players of other characters will be able to tell exactly when the glitch was successful and what you're doing with it and thus be able to act accordingly(like Masa, Vilness...you know what im talking about). Eventually we will be needing to come up with a lot of stuff to do with the jackets on and not just stuff to do in order to set up the glitch...but then that may get much easier once we are able to use dsmash

shoot.....im working on my vid right now....looks like its gonna be in the neighborhood of 15 minutes longO_O

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Yeah...we gotta do what we can now^_^

It won't be too long before players of other characters will be able to tell exactly when the glitch was successful and what you're doing with it and thus be able to act accordingly(like Masa, Vilness...you know what im talking about). Eventually we will be needing to come up with a lot of stuff to do with the jackets on and not just stuff to do in order to set up the glitch...but then that may get much easier once we are able to use dsmash

shoot.....im working on my vid right now....looks like its gonna be in the neighborhood of 15 minutes longO_O

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hehee spammer :p

anyway: We played vs. Masa today and because I´m aware of spike jacket now it is lots of easier to get the thunder jacket on. And I managed to pull those against his Falco and Luigi. he tries to WDshield on me and I try to get him in air or avoid him and decrease his shield.

When is your vid ready, Simna?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Thomas Tipman said:
thunder jacket, spike jacket, star jacket, fonzi jacket...
I have yet to pull off the fonzi jacket....any news on that?

And also....dsmashing yyg...anymore news? I have not had the time to test it much at all due to work and making vids.

but seriously if sum1 could do a fonzi jacket i would buy them dinner

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
NESS IS 1337! i finally figured out wtf you guys were talking about and i can YYG too easily. ive got AR and ive been looking into some of the stuff you guys talk about and the hitboxes are weird with the yyg. i suck at run canceling dtilt when hitting with a jacket and trying to follow up so i just fair or up b.

the fonzi jacket is top tier, im keeping that one a secret till next tourney..... ohhhhh yeah.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Thomas: cool you found the use after months of persuading ;)

Cape:
please PM of what are you talkin´ about!
so far YYG to shuffled dair has worked great with me.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Yyg2yyg

i found a cool trick out maybe you already know but if you equip a jacket and use the yoyo the hitbox on the jacket is on the yoyo for 11 FRAMES (right before the yoyos original hitbox comes out). with dsmashs you get alot more range but if you upsmash with no charging and hit with the jacket you get a free YYG so you can equip an other jacket or follow up with some nastyness (heh, i made a funny). sorry if you guys already knew about it but i was owning with it today, i had some friends feel the YYG pain. :laugh:

oh and my favorite thing to do is hit with the thunder yoyo and equip the spike jacket and run out and OWN!

The Cape

Smash Master
VilNess said:
Thomas: cool you found the use after months of persuading ;)

Cape:
please PM of what are you talkin´ about!
so far YYG to shuffled dair has worked great with me.
Its just shffled dair.

Simna said DJC, this was easier.

Forget I said anything.

Also, TT, what are you talking about? Explain.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Thomas Tipman said:
i
oh and my favorite thing to do is hit with the thunder yoyo and equip the spike jacket and run out and OWN!
Oh my god, I once did it to my bros Link who got tired of keeping his shield up to prevent getting hit by thunderjacket. It was thunderjacket to spikejacket and NO MERCY!

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Simna ibn Sind said:
Extended Jackets: When you have a jacket equipped your upsmash and downsmash(the yoyo) becomes whatever attack is equipped. You can use this to get a bit of extra range for your jacket, but beware, if you miss with the yoyo then your jacket disappears.

Yoyo Glitch Replenish: Remember how you can only use a single attack with the YYG? That's now out the window. With any of the jacket techniques you can chain yyg onto each other and always have a jacket equipped that will hit your opponent. Simply equip a jacket, then use upsmash(see: Extended jackets) to hit them with the hitbox. At the same time that they are being hit the yoyo creates a new yyg hitbox which you can quickly use to equip a new jacket(spike or star) with plenty of time to spare. This also works with thunder jacket if you get the time. Imagine you have the star jacket on and your opponent is Samus at 150%. You upsmash her and she dies off the top from the jacket....this gives you ample time to equip the thunder jacket...then when she comes back to life: let her have it...or continue the replenish chain^_^

hehehe that is what i meant^_^

VilNess

Smash Champion
Heh, Simna is talkin good!
if you meet a better gannon than you are (for some odd reason) then you can counterpick Ness :D
since you know both characters you should be able to handle him with fairs and novelty effect >: )

as for the topic, I kind have problems with star jacket too, but at least we´ve got fonzi jacket. and to be honest I don´t see much use for start jacket when there is spike/thunder jackets.
Maybe against Fastfallers Star jacket is good at lower %s ?

Top Bottom