• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

losvedir

Smash Apprentice
Well in that case I'll go ahead with it. (And hurry up on that vid Simna , I'm excited!)

PK Thunder Jacket is simply an extension of the Yo-Yo glitch where the hitbox follows around with you. It's invisible, though, so you won't be seeing the thunder jacket on you.

What you do is you set the glitch so that the hitbox is right on the edge of the stage. Then you jump off the edge so that you launch your PK thunder ever so close to the edge, and blast yourself so you grab on. Then you roll up. And it's set. If you did it right, the hitbox from the PK Thunderblast will follow around on you, and whenever you touch someone, they'll react as if you had just shot yourself into them. I believe it works against each opponent once per putting on the Thunderjacket. Hope that helped!

VilNess

Smash Champion
And the distance isn´t actually as important as the angle.
I´ve noticed you can have a bit of distance between Ness and the ledge if you have a good angle (a bit below ledge at least in FD) when you go for the thunderjacket.
It´s like as if the GameCube knows what is going to happen the instant PK thunder hits Ness. If you screw up and miss the ledge, YYG will trigger. I´f youll sweetspot you´ll equip the thunderjacket.

Jello

Smash Rookie
My Thunder Jacket Vid

Im new to the forum and Iv been reading about the ness glitch and i decided to make a vid of the thunder jacket for you guys with my crappy digital camera.

Heres the link http://sky.prohosting.com/jello88/ssbm/thunderjacketglitch.zip

This is how I do it. Go to training mode and choose marth as your enemy and Final D as your stage, when you get in training mode put marth at about 80% (you can do it with lower but i do this just to make sure) now push marth or have a friend place him so that when u roll from the edge you dont hit him (or else you roll into him and he goes flying), when you have him placed do the yo-yo glitch on him then turn around walk off the egde and do ness 's up+b and hit your self right into the edge, after this press L to roll up onto the platform, as you roll up you will roll into the hitbox not knowing it and ness's thunderblast move will follow u invisibly, from here on if an enemy touches you they get hit as if they were hit by the thunderblast :chuckle:

Good job for those of you who found out the glitch, keep these glitches coming :)

losvedir

Smash Apprentice
Awesome work Jello! Thanks for the video. I just love to see the thunder jacket..

Jello

Smash Rookie
Now we gotta find a way to keep the hitbox on after touching someone, Ness will be invincible!...boy would that be hilarious:D

also...try the jacket on shy guys...the attack hits them but u can still hit ur enemy and after u can still hit the shy guys with it a couple more times but not the enemy...weird?

heres the vid http://sky.prohosting.com/jello88/ssbm/shyguyglitch.zip

if u guys want a vid of something just ask

Jello

Smash Rookie
I found out u can hit multiple things with the jacket but u cant hit the same thing twice, try it against 3 computers or people, u can hit all of them seperately :crazy:

VilNess

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Jello
I found out u can hit multiple things with the jacket but u cant hit the same thing twice, try it against 3 computers or people, u can hit all of them seperately :crazy:
Okay now THAT`S what I call useful in team battles!
set up YYG with ally or foe if possible and equip jacket :D

matta-from-subid

Smash Apprentice
I have 3 things to say in this post:

I wonder why grab does not work if the deathline goes trough a wall or a platform (exept when you grab so that the target goes up a platform). Could someone investigate it by action replay?
edit2: I forgot to hilight that you can Yoyo-glich-grab even if a wall is between ness and the opponent. But that is only possible if there is no wall in the deathline. Using this information, you can grab so that the opponent is far avay and still in your hands. I think i told this earlier.

Lets sum up all the things we know so far:
-you can set up a trap-sphere 2 ways
-if you land a trap-sphere, the next upsmash is not going to work.
- you can shoot the trap-sphere once and ness acts like he was been hit, exept if he is has done an airdodge or PK thunder 2
- If the opponent touches the trap sphere, it hurts the opponent and the trap sphere disapears
- when you do an A-attak, smash attak, grab or PK thunder 2, the trap sphere disappears and a thin line goes straight to ness's attak or grab. The line does the same thing as the attak.
- You can somehow put multiple trap spheres in one place, but i don't know how
- if you sweetspot the ledge in a short distance, you'll get a thunder jaket. Whit it you can hit as many targets as you like, but you can not hit the same charter twise.
- i can't remember more

It would be fun to go trough the adventure-modes first stage only using thunderjaket.
edit: i tried it, but it is not so fun as i thought...
... but fun anyway. Try it.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Okay, we figured out with Matta that you don´t need to grab the ledge to do a Thunderjacket. All you need to do is aerial floorblast but not too far from ground.
I think everyone didn´t know this.
I´ve been using thunderjacket a lot with success. I think it´s the best thing out of YYG when your enemy is at higher %´s, otherwise there´s usually not enough time to do that.
I suggest every ness player learns to incorporate thunderjacket in their game since it´s big!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
We don't need a ledge to do thunderjacket anymore?

Ness is teh BEST!!

The only thing that annoys me is that when Smash 3 comes out, these glitches will be fixed and Ness won't rock as much any more. Probably the wavedash will also be gone, so no more infinate for Fox either.

Oh well. Maybe they'll give him a new move that rules or something? Or bring back the powerful yo-yos to make up for it. (Or change his recovery so he blasts forwards at INCREDIBLE speed with 100% priority over everything! Like that will happen...if anything they'll probably make his recovery worse.)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Too bad doing it on a ledge is usually better option for pros since it´s faster... unless yer godlike and can floorblast the fastest possible way (I´ve only pulled it once in my entire SSBM "career")
however the benefits of floorblasting the suit are that it´s safer (don´t have to be scared about your enemy stealing your thunder) and it might be faster when you YYG on a platform. And if your enemy eats the thunder you´ll still be alive and have YYG ready for possible grab attempt/whatever.

that´s my 2 cents for now.

DF2K

Smash Journeyman
NESSBOUNDER said:
We don't need a ledge to do thunderjacket anymore?

Ness is teh BEST!!

The only thing that annoys me is that when Smash 3 comes out, these glitches will be fixed and Ness won't rock as much any more. Probably the wavedash will also be gone, so no more infinate for Fox either.

Oh well. Maybe they'll give him a new move that rules or something? Or bring back the powerful yo-yos to make up for it. (Or change his recovery so he blasts forwards at INCREDIBLE speed with 100% priority over everything! Like that will happen...if anything they'll probably make his recovery worse.)
I've actually had two ideas for Ness in SSB3. First, I think they should make the yoyo a bit longer, so it's more of a long range weapon. Second for anyone who's played Guilty Gear XX would know of the character Bridget's yoyo move. He can throw it out, and call it back on command, but can also perform special moves with the yoyo while it's out. I though it would be cool if Ness had something simular to this.

Sorry to get off topic. :chuckle:

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
Trouble

Man I have played Ness for years but nothing has ever given me as much trouble as this crazy glitch! I have read and re-read the posts but I am still having trouble with one part:

How do I hit the enemy just right so that the glitch is set up?! I know the basics, like only hit them with the yo-yo once and whatnot...I have even studied the videos, but I swear that I tried about 600 times and only pulled it off about 10 times (and this was on a DK CPU on "Stand"...how embarrassing.)

Whats the trick to hitting the "sweet spot"?

Advice is appreciated, thanks.

losvedir

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to get it very consistently by myself, either. If you have a friend, though, I've found it very effective to have him just dash in and dash out just lightly brushing up against it, and taking a very minor hit.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Let's split the yoyo into 3 parts: shooting(when it comes out), charging(while its spinning), and rising(when its released).

It is ok to hit during the shooting part, but only hit once during the charging part and don't hit at all during the rising part.

On a standing opponent(try luigi) just walk up and use the yoyo. Have it hit the opponent as its coming out(not too close or they will pop up and away) then hold it out so they hit it while its charging, then release before they have a chace to land on it again.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
So it is OK if the yo-yo hits the enemy twice? Strange, I thought the point of the glitch was to make it so that the enemy did NOT hit the second hit-box, so that would then be "dropped", in essence, to the ground.

Thanks for the advice though Simna, I'll give it a shot again.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
I'm just now getting it down pat... the really difficult part is working the glitch into your serious minded matches though, and so far in a typical 5 stock match against a fairly decent Shiek player, I only manage to pull the yo yo glitch about 3 - 7 times in any way that matters... and then most of those times it works, he runs into the trapped box and throws my plan off. It's going to take some time to get the main use out of this I think.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble against a standing CPU. I can't get it once against Fox, but I can get it like 1/30 times against DK. Is the distance you stand away from the enemy the trick?

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
The only trick is that you have to hit while its charging and not hit while it is actually swinging above your head.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
VilNess recommended Ganon. Unfortunately I have no memory card right now (my brother took it), so one of the non-secret chars is all I got!

Now if I may ask, WHY do you recommend Luigi? Do "floaty" chars usually not get hit by the second hit-box?

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Let's split the yoyo into 3 parts: shooting(when it comes out), charging(while its spinning), and rising(when its released).

It is ok to hit during the shooting part, but only hit once during the charging part and don't hit at all during the rising part.

On a standing opponent(try luigi) just walk up and use the yoyo. Have it hit the opponent as its coming out(not too close or they will pop up and away) then hold it out so they hit it while its charging, then release before they have a chace to land on it again.
hey simna do you have this on the first page, this is a perfect explination on how to do it. ive been yyg'in alot more often (the comp atleast).

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
The big problem that I have setting up the yo yo glitch... is that most of my opponents run into the weak trap box (or if they are CPU, they punch the trap box -_-) and then I don't get to make use of the devious trap line for something more powerful and demoralizing like a long distance PK Cannonball/comet/what ever (who named it anyway?)

Nothing is quite as ammusing as the reaction of an opponent who doesn't know of the yo yo glitch being grabbed from the opposite side of FD. :D

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
OK! THIS THREAD NEEDS A BUMP!

EVERYONE! I HAVE SOME NEW STUFF ABOUT YYG! IT WILL ALL BE DEMO'D IN MY VID! HERE IS AN OVERVIEW:

Spike Jacket&Star Jacket: These are similar to the thunder jacket except that they are faster and weaker. The spike jacket equips the hitbox of ness' dair to his body while the star jacket equips the uair. These are equipped by simply DjCfflcing these moves(u dont really need to LC, but why not) so u land just after the hitbox comes out(it will make that sound that ness' uair and dair make when they come out) after setting up the yyg. This is much faster than putting on the thunder jacket, but it does deal less damage(but come on! YOU CAN SPIKE THEM!)

Extended Jackets: When you have a jacket equipped your upsmash and downsmash(the yoyo) becomes whatever attack is equipped. You can use this to get a bit of extra range for your jacket, but beware, if you miss with the yoyo then your jacket disappears.

Yoyo Glitch Replenish: Remember how you can only use a single attack with the YYG? That's now out the window. With any of the jacket techniques you can chain yyg onto each other and always have a jacket equipped that will hit your opponent. Simply equip a jacket, then use upsmash(see: Extended jackets) to hit them with the hitbox. At the same time that they are being hit the yoyo creates a new yyg hitbox which you can quickly use to equip a new jacket(spike or star) with plenty of time to spare. This also works with thunder jacket if you get the time. Imagine you have the star jacket on and your opponent is Samus at 150%. You upsmash her and she dies off the top from the jacket....this gives you ample time to equip the thunder jacket...then when she comes back to life: let her have it...or continue the replenish chain^_^

Hanger: This one isn't an attack technique really. Its simply cycling thru jackets. once you have the yyg setup and you equip a jacket you can change jackets simply by doing what is needed to equip them. So if you set up yyg then DjCfflc uair then dair then uair you will have the star jacket on, but if u follow that with an aerial floorblast then you will have the thunder jacket.

Jacket Combos: BEWARE! Any attack you use after a jacket hit will not hit your opponent(unless its another jacket)...except fair. This means that while you can still combo from jackets, the move immediately after the jacket must be forward air. (this isnt a problem really....i kinda like it^_^)

Ness is top tier.

D1

Banned via Administration
OMGWTFBBQLOL!!1!

Aight thats it...

...SO LONG MEWTWO...

...HELLO NESS!!!!!

**** I gotta practice this sh** NOWWWWW!

SIMNA U RAWK FOR UR PERSISTENT ATTEMPTS AT PROVIN THAT NESS IS TEH SH*T!!!

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
I wish I lived near Simna, we would do mad YYG testing. I'll be in NorCal this Sunday night, though. You game Sim Sim?

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
wtf did he say?

simna you need to make a new thread tilted "Ness lingo" cause everytime i look at this thread i see thunder jacket, spike jacket, star jacket, fonzi jacket.....ect. this thread makes no sense to me anymore....nah, for real it doesnt.

D1

Banned via Administration
I need help w/ the spike jacket...how the hell that works?

Thunder Jacket is leet...I was like dayumnz nuttin better than that..but man u shocked me when u said spike jacket...so yeah...

...how does that work? Do DJCffle extremely close to the ground? as if the move didn't even come out?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Tipman: a jacket is just when a hitbox attaches itself to ness(thunder=pkthunder2, spike=dair, star=uair)

D1: With the spike jacket you don't actually need to DjC. You may even find it easier to just shuffle it. The attack actually has to come out(same with uair and pk thunder2) and you have to land just after it comes out.

Top Bottom