• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 The winner of the tournament gets to fight Sakurai

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Sakurai can't win. People are underestimating the amount of hours pros put into the game and overestimating that simply developing the game equates to any form of skill that can even touch pro play. But the most important thing is his hand cramp thing. The man can't use a regular mouse, let alone play one of most APM intensive game genres.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai can't win. People are underestimating the amount of hours pros put into the game and overestimating that simply developing the game equates to any form of skill that can even touch pro play. But the most important thing is his hand cramp thing. The man can't use a regular mouse, let alone play one of most APM intensive game genres.
I had almost forgotten about his illness. I suppose that makes our dream of the winner fighting Sakurai implausible.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
His injury is a fair point. And I agree that if he was playing Smash 64, Melee or Brawl the pros would have a ****ton of hours devoted to it, but there is literally no way they would have more experience with SSB4. Which could give him an edge. I doubt he would lose horribly if he was at his best. He does know all the frame data, priority, hitboxes, etc. since he made them and the pros don't have enough time to match that yet. So, he has some advantages there (small thought, they may be).

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I highly doubt Sakurai himself knows all the hitbox info. He's the director, and even if he were a programmer or animator on this project Namco-Bandai is handling the balancing issues so they would be the ones to know.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I highly doubt Sakurai himself knows all the hitbox info. He's the director, and even if he were a programmer or animator on this project Namco-Bandai is handling the balancing issues so they would be the ones to know.
There is some interview where he said he's doing it.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
There is some interview where he said he's doing it.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/5127488/a-day-in-the-extremely-busy-life-of-masahiro-sakurai

In the afternoon, it's back to supervision work...but besides that, Sakurai has another important design assignment. "In all previous Smash Bros. games," he explained, "I've entered in all the data for fighter skills and hitboxes by myself, and it's quite nearly that way with this game too. I've thought about leaving this work to others and I've actually tried it once or twice, but it hasn't worked out. I don't want to release an incomplete game, and I want everything to be as successful as possible, but it results in a massive amount of work for me. It's a big problem, but there are reasons for doing it this way."

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I also recently came across an interview where Sakurai says he was the winner of a 100-man Street Fighter II tournament. It certainly shows that he's no slouch when it comes to the competitive scene, but he also said that was a long time ago and was seemingly implying he could no longer do that (probably mostly because of his malady).

Article said:
Sakurai: Mostly I don't incorporate feedback like that. Basically, Smash Bros. is designed to be sort of targeted at the center, intermediate players, and if you think of sort of a skill graph or something where if you're targeting just the peak of that performance level, you're targeting a very small group of people. We wanna avoid a situation where it becomes a game sort of like other competitive fighting games, where it's only apreciated by a very small, passionate group of sort of maniac players. We definitely don't want that sort of situation. It's supposed to be a fun game for a wide variety of people.
But that's not to say that I don't appreciate very high-level competitive play, the type of very refined competitive gameplay that happens in other fighting games. Personally, I have a lot of experience playing in the arcade scene, and personally came out as a champion of a 100-person battle in arcade Street Fighter II.

Kotaku: Recently?

Sakurai: A long, long time ago. So I don't wanna ignore that there's that type of pleasure to be had from the game.
It's actually quite an interesting article, he specifically states he isn't ignoring the competitive side of Smash. (Perhaps the invitational was his idea.) It's a rather long article, but probably worth your time.

Source: http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
That would be funny if they did this and chose that moment to confirm Captain Falcon, have Sakurai play as him, then he proceeds to just taunt repeatedly the whole time. "Show me ya moves!"

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'd certainly love to see something like this. $20 bucks says should Sakurai lose, he'll get salty and release a patch of the game that makes it uncompetitive (or at least make is a little more casual to Brawl levels).

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'd like to see that if only because I've never seen Sakurai play Smash at a high level.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
While he may be director, I'm not sure Sakurai could beat the top level players now. And besides, would you like to have the chance to be beaten at your own game?

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
I'd love to see a top competitive player up against Sakurai but instead of playing Smash 4 he makes a quick switch of the discs and they end up playing a round of Mario Golf. Where is your god now?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In the VERY unlikely case that this idea happens, Sakurai will just turn up the damage ratio on his challenger with his dev. skills and win it all. :troll:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
In the VERY unlikely case that this idea happens, Sakurai will just turn up the damage ratio on his challenger with his dev. skills and win it all. :troll:
"*insert whatever character he plays*'s damage has been bumped up to 999% for each hit. This may or may not change during development- please understand"

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Sakurai does have an advantage knowing the character's hitboxes and all.
There's that. But I think the biggest advantage Sakurai could possibly hold is using an unrevealed newcomer. No-one will know how effective their moves are, let alone WHAT moves said character has. The (hypothetical) element of surprise would be his greatest asset in such a scenario.

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Hungrybox wins the tournament and then Sakurai fights him as Jiggs. It would be the dumbest thing in the world but I'd sure get a kick out of it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It would be so fitting if something like this happened, especially if he used a new character revealed at that same moment.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
You guys realize that the people's Challenger contest winner is the one who actually fights the winner of this tournament right?

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai would use some kind of debug mod on his character to guarantee a win.
Eh, debug mod... it would be enough to just play as Tabuu and spam off waves.

I don't know what kind of man Sakurai is, but I don't have a problem with losing at my games. (Not that these scale well to Smash, obviously...)

Top Bottom