• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 The winner of the tournament gets to fight Sakurai

Thor

Smash Champion
Real talk, I don't care if M2K plays a nerfed form of vBrawl Link and Sakurai plays a buffed form of vBrawl MK (a reveal), M2K would probably win,

If we assume the current roster as was suggested in one thread (it had like PC Chris, M2K, DEHF, Nairo, Azen, Isai, Mango, some others I don't remember them all (Except I know no Armada)), then Sakurai would lose to pretty much all of these players, especially if the winner is DEHF, M2K, or Nairo and they are familiar with a character because they haven't been that far altered from vBrawl (DEHF = Falco/MK (if revealed), Nairo = DK/Falco/MK, M2K = Dedede/Falco/MK/probably anyone) [I say these 3 because Melee players could have physics johns and I don't remember if any other Brawl players were on the list]. Sakurai may be a good gamer (he may even be able to beat some average tournament players), but I don't believe this given the dislike he has of competitive smash. He would just be beaten, probably badly, and I'd rather not watch the dev get wrecked. All the countless hours PP, M2K, and others on the list have spent on their spacing means once they have the range of their stuff down, they'll be poking away at Sakurai and looking pretty good for having next to no game experience.

Unless of course he has his stuff hacked so he can use an easy-to-use form of the IDC and unveils a buffed MK (or some other godlike character with a broken approach),- while the winner would be irritated to lose, it would still be amusing to watch, and give Sakurai a much fairer fight (essentially like SF2 Sakurai using Akuma with buffs and the winner picking the worst character w/ nerfs). It would also unveil a new character and be highly amusing to watch.

ChunkyBeef said:
You're silly. That's a match against people that clearly have little Smash experience in general. I'd imagine that the matches Sakurai plays with people are either QA who have tons of hours in Smash, not just at Smash 4, but also people around the office who also play it a ton, likely.
And everyone seems to forget that Sakurai has probably played more hours of Smash over the years than most of us have here, even the more dedicated of us all. My money would be on Sakurai to cream some pretentious competitive player.
You amuse me. See above. There's also nothing pretentious about any of the players on the list.

Given that Sakurai doesn't play competitively, the odds that he can come out and just destroy some pro like M2K, who's played the game literally thousands of hours (probably thousands on FD in Melee alone) are pretty much zero.

Last edited:
You're silly. That's a match against people that clearly have little Smash experience in general. I'd imagine that the matches Sakurai plays with people are either QA who have tons of hours in Smash, not just at Smash 4, but also people around the office who also play it a ton, likely.

And everyone seems to forget that Sakurai has probably played more hours of Smash over the years than most of us have here, even the more dedicated of us all. My money would be on Sakurai to cream some pretentious competitive player.

Lol Sakurai

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You amuse me. See above. There's also nothing pretentious about any of the players on the list.

Given that Sakurai doesn't play competitively, the odds that he can come out and just destroy some pro like M2K, who's played the game literally thousands of hours (probably thousands on FD in Melee alone) are pretty much zero.
You amuse me by assuming they're going to drag down their tournament by inviting Cali pros, when they have an entire Los Angeles Convention Center full of internet and gaming personalities that'll actually give good word of mouth about the event and the game. They won't invite Cali pros, and that's why Sakurai would win a hypothetical tournament match.

I couldn't see Sakurai playing, anyway, 'cause of that tendinitis or whatever he's got, so this is all moot point at the end of the day.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Maybe Sakurai will be taking part in the tournament itself, along with some other Smash developers. There's no reason the tournament should comprise of just competitive players

Thor

Smash Champion
ChunkyBeef said:
You amuse me by assuming they're going to drag down their tournament by inviting Cali pros, when they have an entire Los Angeles Convention Center full of internet and gaming personalities that'll actually give good word of mouth about the event and the game. They won't invite Cali pros, and that's why Sakurai would win a hypothetical tournament match.

I couldn't see Sakurai playing, anyway, 'cause of that tendinitis or whatever he's got, so this is all moot point at the end of the day.
There's a big difference between a professional professional (so to speak) and just gaming personalities and internet personalities - if Sakurai invites people who only play the game casually, yes, I'd believe that Sakurai would win. But if they invite any people who are actually in the competitive scene and place well in tournaments, Sakurai wouldn't beat them.

There are pros [real pros, not gaming personalities] outside of Cali who would beat him too (PP is from North Carolina if I remember correctly and he'd probably beat Sakurai, I don't know the locations of other players on the suggested list).

And inviting pros wouldn't drag down the tournament, unless you're worried they'd just try to experiment with what the game does for like 4 minutes instead of like 10 seconds and then duking it out. (and I'm pretty sure there would be some protocol established prior to them stepping up to the game console so they know they are there to play the game, not test it for stuff, as well as punishments for failing to abide by the rules).

It seems we miscommunicated on what a pretentious competitive player is. Since it's been cleared up, I guess we agree.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Sakurai would beat who ever is the winner, then all the "hardcore" players would cry and say the game is broken. lols

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai would beat who ever is the winner, then all the "hardcore" players would cry and say the game is broken. lols
To be honest; if Sakurai beat the winner, I would feel as though the game was broken. :denzel:

They wouldn't cry though, they would just scamper off to the previous game. :troll:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, Sakurai absolutely has more experience with SSB4 than any of these players even if they've been given a demo to practice with, they would have played the game for a month at most. And Sakurai has played the entire development time.

Competitive play is ruled by the use of advanced techniques which have differed between pretty much all games. The only thing I guarantee will be back is Directional Influence (and I can use that, so I'm sure Sakurai can). The mechanics of edge-guarding also seem to have been altered and the competitive game is huge on that. Furthermore, I'm fairly certain that competitive players are used to only facing a few characters in the top tiers of the game with only the occasional foray from the lower tiers. They are used to specific characters being used in specific ways, so the use of any new characters will throw them off because they don't know it's attacks/properties as well as they do the rest of the characters in the game. I could see the creator of the game beating them for these reasons or at the very least not losing terribly.

If these players don't get any prep time with the game, then Sakurai would most likely win.

However, I can't see Sakurai playing them. It would just be weird. They can play Reggie and destroy him. And then they can actually fight Reggie for a rematch, so he can tear them apart.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Real talk, I don't care if M2K plays a nerfed form of vBrawl Link and Sakurai plays a buffed form of vBrawl MK (a reveal), M2K would probably win,

If we assume the current roster as was suggested in one thread (it had like PC Chris, M2K, DEHF, Nairo, Azen, Isai, Mango, some others I don't remember them all (Except I know no Armada)), then Sakurai would lose to pretty much all of these players, especially if the winner is DEHF, M2K, or Nairo and they are familiar with a character because they haven't been that far altered from vBrawl (DEHF = Falco/MK (if revealed), Nairo = DK/Falco/MK, M2K = Dedede/Falco/MK/probably anyone) [I say these 3 because Melee players could have physics johns and I don't remember if any other Brawl players were on the list]. Sakurai may be a good gamer (he may even be able to beat some average tournament players), but I don't believe this given the dislike he has of competitive smash. He would just be beaten, probably badly, and I'd rather not watch the dev get wrecked. All the countless hours PP, M2K, and others on the list have spent on their spacing means once they have the range of their stuff down, they'll be poking away at Sakurai and looking pretty good for having next to no game experience.

Unless of course he has his stuff hacked so he can use an easy-to-use form of the IDC and unveils a buffed MK (or some other godlike character with a broken approach),- while the winner would be irritated to lose, it would still be amusing to watch, and give Sakurai a much fairer fight (essentially like SF2 Sakurai using Akuma with buffs and the winner picking the worst character w/ nerfs). It would also unveil a new character and be highly amusing to watch.

Say what what? Sakirai, the man whose been living and breathing Smash Bros in the most intimate way possible for the last 15 years, while the majority of these elite competitive players were in kindergarden, doesn't understand spacing? While M2K amd Mango were spending hours deducing spacing amd combos, this man was inventing them.

Lol wow these people really think that Sakurai would win? It's like you think the pro players aren't gonna be able to space, short hop, recover or do anything. No matter what game from a series you are playing, you can't just forget experience and tact.

So many scrubs in the smash 4 forums lol

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Overtaken said:
Say what what? Sakirai, the man whose been living and breathing Smash Bros in the most intimate way possible for the last 15 years, while the majority of these elite competitive players were in kindergarden, doesn't understand spacing? While M2K amd Mango were spending hours deducing spacing amd combos, this man was inventing them.
Unless he intended Samus to be mediocre/different because of the lack of zero-deaths in Smash 64, or for Falcon to zero-death people with uair strings -> Falcon dive, he didn't "invent" combos in the game, he tried to make a game he thought was fun and rather balanced at a casual level - then Mango, M2K, Isai, Nairo, and others of their respective games found the combos and pushed them to the limit.

ToothiestAura said:
Well, Sakurai absolutely has more experience with SSB4 than any of these players even if they've been given a demo to practice with, they would have played the game for a month at most. And Sakurai has played the entire development time.

Competitive play is ruled by the use of advanced techniques which have differed between pretty much all games. The only thing I guarantee will be back is Directional Influence (and I can use that, so I'm sure Sakurai can). The mechanics of edge-guarding also seem to have been altered and the competitive game is huge on that. Furthermore, I'm fairly certain that competitive players are used to only facing a few characters in the top tiers of the game with only the occasional foray from the lower tiers. They are used to specific characters being used in specific ways, so the use of any new characters will throw them off because they don't know it's attacks/properties as well as they do the rest of the characters in the game. I could see the creator of the game beating them for these reasons or at the very least not losing terribly.

If these players don't get any prep time with the game, then Sakurai would most likely win.
They're gonna get the playtime of the tournament, and I can guarantee there will be a few moments after they think someone has died but not died (ex: gimped) where they will test some stuff. Also it's unclear if Sakurai knows some ATs existed (ICs CG) so what he'd have would not be as deep as you're making it out to be. Furthermore, even if he's familiar with a new character, the others are smart - they'll sit in shield and either understand the grab game inflicted on them, or else do OoS stuff.

Some of these people play PM (M2K, DEHF, PP) so they can fight a lot of different characters (pretty much everyone is viable), and M2K routinely "sandbags" with various characters in Melee (he beat a Sheik somewhere going Pichu Kirby because he never heard of the person - it was a 2-0 he won). Also, there's a reason they don't lose repeatedly to random characters with players of high skill (PP and aMSA - M2K still won 2-1 as well) - they may not know the MU as well, but they know what each character can do (more or less) and what their character should be able to do to them [frame traps, combos, etc.] (I think M2K knows pretty much every character in Melee, not so sure in Brawl). So even if Ness comes out as super viable and Sakurai plays Ness, if it's the Ness we know with buffs [not radically remade], it's still Ness - they'll figure it out with a few hiccups [and if radically remade, they'll be on hyper-alert after the second surprise or so].

And you've ignored part of what makes them the best - their ability to adapt mid-match [many have it, they have it and it's potent]. Even if they walk into a few Rosalina combos or whatever, come the spawn platform, they'll review what they took in and what it means for how to approach, DI, SDI, space, etc. Sakurai could make things more even with a new character, but this advantage would be lost as the match progressed.

M2K and others can fight perfectly well without ATs (using the basics of airdodging when there's not another option, spotdodge/roll/shield, dash, SH/FH, etc.) they just use the other stuff to augment their game (the fundamentals they have are truly sound - that's why they're so good). Unless it's a game-centralizing AT (which Sakurai seems to dislike, given the divide between casuals and competitives then being opened way up), they won't have some massive disadvantage due to new ATs. Sure, they might not know everything, or misidentify a character as good or bad, but even without all the ATs known, Snake and MK were really really good when Brawl came out (MK is still best, Snake has fallen but is definitely viable) while Zelda came out as fine (and really wasn't - but that didn't stop her from being playable in tournaments for a while at least).

Plus, if this happened and had a single-elimination bracket, they'd have just played through 4 games - even if it's set up that no one can use the same character twice, that's just a reason no one touches Marth/Fox/Pikachu/Mario/Link/Samus/someone else agreed to prior, someone who's known to be rather similar. And if you can use the same character twice, you've had four matches to figure out what KOs, what's a usable approach for now, and what your moveset does, as well as knowing you have shield, spotdodge and dodge, and a grab - that's more that enough to play a character rather effectively, regardless of if you know whether or not you can DACUS.

Last edited:
Thomas Edison invented electricity, along with the lightbulb, that doesn't mean he would have or is capable of taking the technology as far as it has gone today.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
All I want to type is, if Mr. Sakurai faced a pro SSBM player, it would be unfair since the pro would likely use the famous l-cancel and wavedash glitches. They were never meant to be there, and would be an unfair advantage. But the pro's experience with competitive spacing and combos would probably prevail anyway. Sure, Mr. Sakurai would know those things too, but has he trained himself to use them thoroughly?
I suppose Mr. Sakurai would be disadvantaged in any SSB tournament because he avoids competitiveness. This truth removes most of the fun from this topic.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
All I want to type is, if Mr. Sakurai faced a pro SSBM player, it would be unfair since the pro would likely use the famous l-cancel and wavedash glitches. They were never meant to be there, and would be an unfair advantage. But the pro's experience with competitive spacing and combos would probably prevail anyway. Sure, Mr. Sakurai would know those things too, but has he trained himself to use them thoroughly?
I suppose Mr. Sakurai would be disadvantaged in any SSB tournament because he avoids competitiveness. This truth removes most of the fun from this topic.
:facepalm:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
But to see him reveal a newcomer as the final part of a tournament would be splendid.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thomas Edison invented electricity, along with the lightbulb, that doesn't mean he would have or is capable of taking the technology as far as it has gone today.
I feel as though this summarizes the thread perfectly. Those are my thoughts verbatim. I asked my sister who knows nothing about competitive play if Sakurai would be able to contend against the winner of the invitational. She just laughed at me and looked at me as though I was incompetent, half expecting me to assert that I was merely joking. The players are going to have better fundamentals than Sakurai, no doubt. The pros are more experienced with competitive play, no doubt.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I like the idea someone had in another topic where the winner "unlocks" a character and has to fight a newcomer as the reveal. (With a trailer right before, of course.)

josh bones

Smash Lord
I like the idea someone had in another topic where the winner "unlocks" a character and has to fight a newcomer as the reveal. (With a trailer right before, of course.)
That could work, just have them be unlocked after however many matches the tournament is

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
How abot Mr. Sakurai faced a SSB64 or SSBB pro player.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Well yeah, Thomas Edison is dead.

What separates Sakurai and well known tournament players is a bit less than a couple centuries, my dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
My money is on the tourney winner. That being said, I'm sure it would be a good match since Sakurai knows the game the best out of anyone.

Thor

Smash Champion
smashmachine said:
he'd still lose
tbh a Brawl player might even be a better choice because they won't try Melee techs that don't exist and screw themselves over
Yeah, I remember fighting a Melee Fox main in Brawl- (cuz he can wavedash in that game still), the guy still didn't like it because he short-hop airdodged like 5 times thanks to jump-cancelled grabs not existing (it was quite amusing to watch them SH airdodge right next to my shield, but I did feel a bit bad for them).

Also to whomever said it, wavedashing isn't a glitch, just a corner case of physics (he knew about it, but didn't remove it because he didn't think it would become a centralizing element and divide smashers into the categories of those who can and can't - if he'd known the applications it has there might have been changes) and L-cancelling was fully intended (it was even referenced on a website they had as "Smooth landing" and the fact that it exists in Melee in a modified [nerfed] form suggests quite clearly that the mechanic is fully intentional).

That said, I prefer Brawl airdodge for various reasons, and L-cancelling is a mechanic without depth, just pushes up APM, and therefore isn't a good design choice and is unnecessary for the game.

D

Deleted member 245254

Yeah, I remember fighting a Melee Fox main in Brawl- (cuz he can wavedash in that game still), the guy still didn't like it because he short-hop airdodged like 5 times thanks to jump-cancelled grabs not existing (it was quite amusing to watch them SH airdodge right next to my shield, but I did feel a bit bad for them).

Also to whomever said it, wavedashing isn't a glitch, just a corner case of physics (he knew about it, but didn't remove it because he didn't think it would become a centralizing element and divide smashers into the categories of those who can and can't - if he'd known the applications it has there might have been changes) and L-cancelling was fully intended (it was even referenced on a website they had as "Smooth landing" and the fact that it exists in Melee in a modified [nerfed] form suggests quite clearly that the mechanic is fully intentional).

That said, I prefer Brawl airdodge for various reasons, and L-cancelling is a mechanic without depth, just pushes up APM, and therefore isn't a good design choice and is unnecessary for the game.
Obviously, I don't believe Sakurai would wipe the floor with anyone, you're right in that there is a difference between developer and gamer, but I think you may be under estimating the situation.

We have an infinity-page long thread in constant bewilderment over such topics as hit stun and mobility tech, and many more of the most simplest mechanics this game is going to incorporate. Whether Sakurai is actually better than the player he would face at equal levels of practice is a silly question, but in the hypothetical situation we're discussing here, it's pretty foolish to discount the serious tactical and knowledge-base advantage Sakurai would have going in to a single match. At the very least he'd catch you majorly off-guard.

Also, it's fair that you don't understand the skill level of a player (Sakurai) that you've never even seen play competitively in any environment.

You may not be giving enough credit where it's due, he may not have invented much of the tech that became popular in previous games on purpose, but I doubt he's making those types of whimsical mistakes here with this upcoming version. Japan knows how to make fighting games (they only developed all the most popular ones being played today, just saying). both for good or for worse, and it'd be a mistake to underestimate how much know Sakurai understands of a game he made.

RODO

Smash Ace
I think that the tourney winner would probably beat Sakurai if they were a pro player, but I think you guys are seriously underestimating him. Pretty much what the guy above me said.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
RODO said:
I think that the tourney winner would probably beat Sakurai if they were a pro player, but I think you guys are seriously underestimating him. Pretty much what the guy above me said.
Oh throw randoms on and they'll get rekt. Throw people of low to moderate Melee competitive skill and it will be interesting, and could possibly go either way, I'm not arguing there.

But to say "Sakurai would be M2K/other top pro cuz it's Sakurai who knows more about the game" is [what I'll somewhat inaccurately call] empirically disproven (he didn't foresee how competitive play would turn out, so he clearly doesn't have full knowledge of how to use everything - even if there is a new AT he might not be aware of it) and since Sakurai is very likely not intentionally putting in a game-changing AT, he won't have some cute trick to abuse versus M2K (or other winner), only a new character, and the pros can adapt pretty fast... if Sakurai plays someone with not-obviously exploitable blind-spot (or a lack thereof - in the hard to exploit I'm thinking along the lines of Dedede's grab range and throws on ROB), there's a possibility that picking Luigi or Sonic will be a massive error, true, and that X player could lose playing a 90-10 MU where s/he doesn't know his/her character as well as Sakurai.

But I think, if this event actually happened, most pros would be super wary of this, and just pick Fox, Diddy Kong, or Toon Link [or Pit or Mega Man, etc.], and run away shooting projectiles and throwing items to rack percent while trying to figure out how to approach. And unless the character is designed for countering it, I'm pretty sure any pro familiar on even a basic level with a character (like, their moveset, about how fast they run/dash, etc.) will be able to camp Sakurai if they want, which is why a pro just picking a character with a camping option would probably beat almost any reveal Sakurai had.

I also think Sakurai will try to avoid 90-10 MUs (matchups that are obviously bad, for someone who doesn't like competitive play to be able to exploit), so the odds of that dream scenario and win for Sakurai seem about zero.

D

Deleted member 245254

Oh throw randoms on and they'll get rekt. Throw people of low to moderate Melee competitive skill and it will be interesting, and could possibly go either way, I'm not arguing there.

But to say "Sakurai would be M2K/other top pro cuz it's Sakurai who knows more about the game" is [what I'll somewhat inaccurately call] empirically disproven (he didn't foresee how competitive play would turn out, so he clearly doesn't have full knowledge of how to use everything - even if there is a new AT he might not be aware of it) and since Sakurai is very likely not intentionally putting in a game-changing AT, he won't have some cute trick to abuse versus M2K (or other winner), only a new character, and the pros can adapt pretty fast... if Sakurai plays someone with not-obviously exploitable blind-spot (or a lack thereof - in the hard to exploit I'm thinking along the lines of Dedede's grab range and throws on ROB), there's a possibility that picking Luigi or Sonic will be a massive error, true, and that X player could lose playing a 90-10 MU where s/he doesn't know his/her character as well as Sakurai.

But I think, if this event actually happened, most pros would be super wary of this, and just pick Fox, Diddy Kong, or Toon Link [or Pit or Mega Man, etc.], and run away shooting projectiles and throwing items to rack percent while trying to figure out how to approach. And unless the character is designed for countering it, I'm pretty sure any pro familiar on even a basic level with a character (like, their moveset, about how fast they run/dash, etc.) will be able to camp Sakurai if they want, which is why a pro just picking a character with a camping option would probably beat almost any reveal Sakurai had.

I also think Sakurai will try to avoid 90-10 MUs (matchups that are obviously bad, for someone who doesn't like competitive play to be able to exploit), so the odds of that dream scenario and win for Sakurai seem about zero.
Who's to say he hasn't learned to utilize those techniques like any other player? Just because he made the game means he arbitrarily follows some kind of vanilla tech set?

Honestly the debate of who would win in a fight against Sakurai or if Sakurai would even win at all is pointless because you have no cluckin' flue either way, no matter the impressive amount one-sided theory craft you throw out using a well developed smash vocabulary.

The fact of the matter is it'd be pretty neat to fight/beat/lose to Sakurai at the end of the tourney.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
OR, the battle against Sakurai starts and 30 seconds there is a scripted event where a newcomer comes in and KOs the participants and they have to beat said Newcomer together.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
You guys are forgetting about items. Pro players don't play with items on and they'll most likely be on during the tournament (so people can see the new ones in action). That'll put them at a severe disadvantage against someone who frequently plays with items on... such as Sakurai.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Sakurai definitely looks fit enough to beat any of the pros in a fight, despite his older age.

Oh, you mean in the game itself!

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Sakurai is losing, he activates debug mode, Wii U brokes and takes control over Sakurai (a la Dr. Octopus) where is your god now?

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Jumpan84 said:
You guys are forgetting about items. Pro players don't play with items on and they'll most likely be on during the tournament (so people can see the new ones in action). That'll put them at a severe disadvantage against someone who frequently plays with items on... such as Sakurai.
If ADHD is there, that just means he'll have an advantage on everyone else besides Salem, if Salem is there [who would have an advantage against others as well] (I forgot the list already): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdw0Ncg0114 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bYtE7_zaw There are pros with strong item control because they play characters who have item access.

Also M2K and others have some form of item control because countering Diddy Kong and also catching Link's explosives and so on. The pure Melee vets are the only ones who will suffer with that, and even then, some make sure they can catch Peach turnips - the benefit to catching a stitch-face is pretty high if they see it coming.

Top Bottom