• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 The winner of the tournament gets to fight Sakurai

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
And Sakurai will fight the winner with an unrelieved character.

Do you want?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
...Er, is this confirmed news? If so, then I would like to see the source. If not, then might I suggest changing the thread title to "What if the winner of the tournament gets to fight Sakurai?" Because in its current state, it is rather misleading. Not trying to backseat moderate; just suggesting.

Morbi

Scavenger
...Er, is this confirmed news? If so, then I would like to see the source. If not, then might I suggest changing the thread title to "What if the winner of the tournament gets to fight Sakurai?" Because in its current state, it is rather misleading. Not trying to backseat moderate; just suggesting.
It mislead me as well; I was super excited, beyond excited... and then it was a fan suggestion. Those are always better than reality. Who are we kidding? Sakurai isn't cool enough to face a hip tournament kid.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
sakurai would get creamed.
I don't know about that. My money would be on Sakurai. Besides experience with the games, I don't think we give him enough gamer credit as he probably deserves.

That said, I'd find it funnier anyway to see a competitive elite being taken down by him, after all the drama of Melee vs Brawl and their respective fanboys.

Who are we kidding? Sakurai isn't cool enough to face a hip tournament kid.
Is cool enough to troll everyone multiple times during the Direct. :troll: I think one of his interviews said he used to go to Street Fighter 2 tournaments.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
That would be quite an experience....

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know about that. My money would be on Sakurai. Besides experience with the games, I don't think we give him enough gamer credit as he probably deserves.

That said, I'd find it funnier anyway to see a competitive elite being taken down by him, after all the drama of Melee vs Brawl and their respective fanboys.

Is cool enough to troll everyone multiple times during the Direct. :troll: I think one of his interviews said he used to go to Street Fighter 2 tournaments.
No; Sakurai plays the game a lot, but that doesn't make him inherently better. It is the meta-game that is important. I play Smash a lot. I have played thousands of hours, I am not good enough to go to tournaments though, because I don't play competitively, I play FFA.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No; Sakurai plays the game a lot, but that doesn't make him inherently better. It is the meta-game that is important. I play Smash a lot. I have played 1000's of hours, I am not good enough to go to tournaments though, because I don't play competitively, I play FFA.
No; the guy personally handles the balance of the games and provides the majority of gameplay footage for the trailers. You do have a point, but at the same time no one else has actually played the game besides the development teams, and reports show that Sakurai wins the majority of those matches.

Competitive players are good enough (at least I would think they are) to get a basic feel of things after a couple casual matches, but that doesn't mean they're automatically masters of a game they've never played before where no meta-game exists, with new controllers, stages, and characters. Sakurai would get his *** handed to him by competitive players in 64/Melee/Brawl, but this is completely new territory where things are a lot more evenly matched.

Morbi

Scavenger
No; the guy personally handles the balance of the games and provides the majority of gameplay footage for the trailers. You do have a point, but at the same time no one else has actually played the game besides the development teams, and reports show that Sakurai wins the majority of those matches.

Competitive players are good enough (at least I would think they are) to get a basic feel of things after a couple casual matches, but that doesn't mean they're automatically masters of a game they've never played before where no meta-game exists, with new controllers, stages, and characters. Sakurai would get his *** handed to him by competitive players in 64/Melee/Brawl, but this is completely new territory where things are a lot more evenly matched.
That is true, I feel as though the competitive players are going to have better fundamentals overall, but I guess they wouldn't massacre Sakurai or anything. But that is even more of a reason to see the winner face off against Sakurai.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tryphen, I'm sorry, but did this just not happen?

Those matches he may (or may not) have "won the majority of" are probably not what people are thinking/making them out to be, if the above is any indicator. I'm not saying nor implying he's bad/good by competitive standards (lest I dig up that quote of him beating that Street Fighter knock out challenge). However the people who make guns are not always the best at firing them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Those matches he may (or may not) have "won the majority of" are probably not what people are thinking/making them out to be, if the above is any indicator. I'm not saying nor implying he's bad/good by competitive standards (lest I dig up that quote of him beating that Street Fighter knock out challenge). However the people who make guns are not always the best at firing them.
Don't worry I know that, hence he'd get his *** handed to him at 64/Melee/Brawl. However given the current circumstances, I wouldn't underestimate him or disregard him as a gamer simply out of spite/hurt feelings/revenge like I get the feeling a lot of people would.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
That would be pretty cool. And who knows the thrill of competition my ignite the spark of competitive play within him! Hehehe I doubt it. But I think having him play against the winner of the tournament would be pretty cool. Even more so if it was with a new character.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
No, the winner of the tournament should get a character of their picking in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U as an exclusive guest character! That would be an amazing sight.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
LET CLAW-PLACH BEGIN!!
Wouldn't it be Epic if Zoidberg was in Smash? Yes, that would be Epic<3

On topic, though, I honestly don't Think the Winner will battle Sakurai. But it depends on what people it is playing.
Also, Sakurai, Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto should have a pre-battle battle Before the tournament. Hehe.

@ Radical Larry Radical Larry
Can't wait to battle as Hitler. :p

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You're silly. That's a match against people that clearly have little Smash experience in general. I'd imagine that the matches Sakurai plays with people are either QA who have tons of hours in Smash, not just at Smash 4, but also people around the office who also play it a ton, likely.

And everyone seems to forget that Sakurai has probably played more hours of Smash over the years than most of us have here, even the more dedicated of us all. My money would be on Sakurai to cream some pretentious competitive player.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

On topic, though, I honestly don't Think the Winner will battle Sakurai. But it depends on what people it is playing.
Also, Sakurai, Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto should have a pre-battle battle Before the tournament. Hehe.

Okay, let me rephrase that: From a selection of characters.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Anyone wondering how well Sakurai can play, I saw him demo it first-hand during E3 2013. He won, but I'm not quite sure he's up to tournament standards.

You can watch for yourself and decide though. Also, the announcer is awful in the best way.

Here's the link:
http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-mario-mega-man-gameplay/

Anyway, I think that would be a very cool prize in and of itself for the winner. How many tournament players can say they've gone toe-to-toe with the creator of Super Smash Bros.? I'm all for it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Anyone wondering how well Sakurai can play, I saw him demo it first-hand during E3 2013. He won, but I'm not quite sure he's up to tournament standards.

You can watch for yourself and decide though. Also, the announcer is awful in the best way.

Here's the link:

Anyway, I think that would be a very cool prize in and of itself for the winner. How many tournament players can say they've gone toe-to-toe with the creator of Super Smash Bros.? I'm all for it.
He's clearly sandbagging there. ;)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That would be really hype though. Especially if Sakurai uses a new character in the match.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
That moment when Sakurai uses the tournment to reveal the return of wavedashing, and he starts waveshining the winner's b****a** up and down final destination :troll:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
If Sakurai uses Link or Rosalina, then they'd be Sakurai tier for life. I'm hoping he uses half the cast, if he plays against the winner.
That or he will use the tournament to reveal an unseen character in the game and use that character.

Last edited:

fill

20EggsEggs
It mislead me as well; I was super excited, beyond excited... and then it was a fan suggestion. Those are always better than reality. Who are we kidding? Sakurai isn't cool enough to face a hip tournament kid.
unless he has the POWER GLOVE...it's so bad

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Here's the link:

Your talking about a guy who is so good that he can be his own doubles partner. I think he was clearly holding back. :awesome:

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86

Having the four of them duke it out would be pretty fun.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hmmm i dunno...Sakurai is pretty skinny doesnt really look like a fighter tbh though i could be wrong also theres the age factor most of the tourney people i would guess be mid or late 20's and if they work out regualary too it could be bad for Sakurai unless he knows secret fighting techniques or something.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If Sakurai uses an unrevealed character, I hope it's Palutena. Imagine the sheer amount of trolling.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Hmmm i dunno...Sakurai is pretty skinny doesnt really look like a fighter tbh though i could be wrong also theres the age factor most of the tourney people i would guess be mid or late 20's and if they work out regualary too it could be bad for Sakurai unless he knows secret fighting techniques or something.
He knows substitute & if he hasn't already replaced his arms with robotic limbs he damn well will soon.

Top Bottom