• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Wii U Release Date

What year do you think the Wii U version will relase?

• Total voters

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I say at least near Christmas time. I don't see why they won't release it around Christmas.

I've heard rumors about it being released in November and to be honest I don't know why they would sell it on that month. I don't think they would want to sell it on Black Friday.

LF2K

Floor Diver
It would be suicide to release on Black Friday, mainly because no one could get out and actually buy it without getting stuck in the mad crowds.

Also, Black Friday is bound to sell some Wii U's, so why not release the biggest game yet just in time for it?

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's definitely going to happen after Thanksgiving but before Christmas. However, Nintendo should be careful with any promotions dealing with Nintendo Network. Otherwise, it'll be another Pokemon Transporter/Bank ordeal like earlier this year.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I say at least near Christmas time. I don't see why they won't release it around Christmas.

I've heard rumors about it being released in November and to be honest I don't know why they would sell it on that month. I don't think they would want to sell it on Black Friday.
Did you not read the last page at all. Every other post on that page gives a source for the 21st

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It would be suicide to release on Black Friday, mainly because no one could get out and actually buy it without getting stuck in the mad crowds.

Also, Black Friday is bound to sell some Wii U's, so why not release the biggest game yet just in time for it?
They wouldn't release it on Black Friday. Just by then. Having it out already on Black Friday would be great for Nintendo, on Black Friday may be too crazy, I agree.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If you said "They won't release after Christmas", then my response was "You obviously weren't waiting for Brawl."
If you said "They won't release on Black Friday", then my response was "You obviously haven't seen the Wii U sales."

Nintendo follows NO RULES. Expect NOTHING.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera

Yeah I'm not sure why people think Nintendo would want to have the game for sale on the biggest shopping day of the year. Seems silly to me too.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm not sure why people think Nintendo would want to have the game for sale on the biggest shopping day of the year. Seems silly to me too.
True, but being on sale wouldn't have them lose money. It is the biggest shopping day of the year.
Also it's Smash Bros. Bound to do good.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
If they do release the game near black Friday then they are most likely going to cut down the price (a lot obviously) and selling all their copies (near the end of the day) half price is just about the same as any regular person going into a store and buying it fully with a few more copies left. That's how I see it.

Edit: Thanks Ascended. I never knew that. My comment is pointless.

Last edited:

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Except most people will not be getting both.

Do you know what the attitudes of most parents will be?
"No, Billy, you already have that game."
By that logic parents wouldn't buy the new Call of Duty games every year for their kids... However the cesspool is always increasing. If anything parents will think of it as a different game because it's on a different console. Parents aren't that dumb/smart.

Anyways without releasing the 3ds first, NOBODY would buy it. (Overexaggeration, however to nintendo it literally would be a negligible amount). I mean who is going to choose the 3ds version over the Wii U?

All of my friends LOVE Smash. Some of them are quite poor and can't afford new gaming consoles all the time. However they spend ALOT of time at my house playing Smash all together. You know how many of them are thinking of getting the 3ds version? 0. My brother doesn't even want to get it. Although Smash is his favorite game, he would rather play the REAL version (WiiU) then 3ds. Considering all of my friends already have 3ds as well. They just don't want to play it on a portable platform. Ever.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Black Friday deals aren't limited to physical stores. Lots of online retailers provide Black Friday deals, even online extensions of physical stores.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
True, but being on sale wouldn't have them lose money. It is the biggest shopping day of the year.
Also it's Smash Bros. Bound to do good.
I was being sarcastic. It would be asinine of Nintendo to not have Smash Bros. available on Black Friday.

If they do release the game near black Friday then they are most likely going to cut down the price (a lot obviously) and selling all their copies (near the end of the day) half price is just about the same as any regular person going into a store and buying it fully with a few more copies left. That's how I see it.

Edit: Thanks Ascended. I never knew that. My comment is pointless.
They don't have to do excessive price cutting, and especially not half off. Even if they did, it would be relatively good for them. Large amounts of software sold is good, especially if they're selling systems with it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Is that sarcastic? I don't mean to belittle the post; I simply didn't catch the sarcasm if it was meant to be there.

The whole purpose of Black Friday-- and why "Black Friday" even became a thing-- is Christmas shopping. Parents go out and fight amongst each other to grab their kids' most anticipated gifts on sale before they run out. Plenty of families even get a large percentage (or even all) of their kids' presents on Black Friday weekend.

Most "holiday" game releases come out between late September and Black Friday. Very few publishers wait until after that. There's a reason why every Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, etc. comes out in Oct./Nov.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed that Smash will come out in that time. Sometimes development schedules don't pan out. But that time frame is exactly where a company would want to release their major blockbuster for maximum opening sales, if they can.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
November 21st seems extremely reasonable. That's one day off from when Super Mario 3D World was released and that was the WIi U's Christmas blockbuster last year.

This way it is out in time for the Black Friday rush. Nintendo needs to get a Smash Wii U bundle and offer a discounted Mario Kart 8. These things will literally fly off the shelves.

There is absolutely no way Nintendo can miss out on the boost to Wii U sales Smash Bros is going to help out with along side Mario Kart and the other great options.

I think that fire is already lit under Samurai's ass and they have been working extremely hard to reach that deadline. The only reason they are being ambiguous with the release date is because they don't want to tie themselves down to a specific date. But I guarantee it will come out this year, and I'm 90% sure it will come in the later half of November. 10% goes to early December.

But we'll have Hyrule Warriors and 3DS Smash to tide us over, and who knows when the other games showcased at E3 will release.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Is that sarcastic? I don't mean to belittle the post; I simply didn't catch the sarcasm if it was meant to be there.

The whole purpose of Black Friday-- and why "Black Friday" even became a thing-- is Christmas shopping. Parents go out and fight amongst each other to grab their kids' most anticipated gifts on sale before they run out. Plenty of families even get a large percentage (or even all) of their kids' presents on Black Friday weekend.

Most "holiday" game releases come out between late September and Black Friday. Very few publishers wait until after that. There's a reason why every Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, etc. comes out in Oct./Nov.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed that Smash will come out in that time. Sometimes development schedules don't pan out. But that time frame is exactly where a company would want to release their major blockbuster for maximum opening sales, if they can.
No it's not sarcasm I was being serious with it.

Oh you do have a point right there. I honestly never realized that until now.
And now that I realize that they don't have to cut down the price of the game so much...I realize that they would benefit a lot more out of that.

At first I thought they were going to cut down the price of the game to make sales better on Black Friday but they don't need to do that. Smash is popular and a lot of people will buy it regardless. And with the sale on the Wii U that makes it better.

Pardon my post

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
November 21st has a lot of weight behind it. It is also the day that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire releases here in the US.

That'll be a big day and it is the perfect time to release. Last year, Nintendo released 3 games the same day in November alongside the release of Xbox One. And Friday releases seems like the new norm since 2011.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No it's not sarcasm I was being serious with it.

Oh you do have a point right there. I honestly never realized that until now.
And now that I realize that they don't have to cut down the price of the game so much...I realize that they would benefit a lot more out of that.

At first I thought they were going to cut down the price of the game to make sales better on Black Friday but they don't need to do that. Smash is popular and a lot of people will buy it regardless. And with the sale on the Wii U that makes it better.

Pardon my post
No need for a pardon. :)

Yeah, a lot of times those markdown prices are simply for retailers to compete. They'll make bundles and "buy __ get __ __% off" sales and offer you gift cards for return visits. The publishers themselves still get paid the same regardless for the physical copies they sell them, so it's not like NINTENDO themselves would be discounting it.

Plus, a game that new likely won't be discounted at all, if it in fact comes out on the 21st. Nintendo's biggest releases before last Black Friday weren't discounted anywhere that I saw.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
No need for a pardon. :)

Yeah, a lot of times those markdown prices are simply for retailers to compete. They'll make bundles and "buy __ get __ __% off" sales and offer you gift cards for return visits. The publishers themselves still get paid the same regardless for the physical copies they sell them, so it's not like NINTENDO themselves would be discounting it.

Plus, a game that new likely won't be discounted at all, if it in fact comes out on the 21st. Nintendo's biggest releases before last Black Friday weren't discounted anywhere that I saw.
Amiibos could possible get discounted prices for Black Friday, especially if bought with Wii U games and stuff. Nintendo is going to dominate Black Friday if Smash and Amiibos are out alongside a new Pokemon.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
If you said "They won't release after Christmas", then my response was "You obviously weren't waiting for Brawl."
If you said "They won't release on Black Friday", then my response was "You obviously haven't seen the Wii U sales."

Nintendo follows NO RULES. Expect NOTHING.
Delays happen. But the original plan was obviously for December 3, 2007, and that was rushing it. The game still had much more to complete.

I know another delay could happen.

But with:
all of the promotion of this game
the fact there's already TV spots for it (there's one on the Wii U eShop, at least for the 3DS version)
The icons for the game (that appear on your home screen/in the shop) have been recently uploaded
The GameExplain interview stated the game would be out BEFORE black friday
we have a listing from Video Products Distributors, the U.S. wholesale retailer... for 11/21
the eShop is FILLED with videos for the game

With Brawl, Nintendo didn't need to convince people to buy their system. People were literally being trampled to death and drank water until it killed them for the Wii.

With the Wii U, Nintendo literally cannot afford to not have this game out by Christmas. They NEED this Christmas to boost their sales, and they need this game out BEFORE the BIGGEST shopping day OF THE YEAR to sell this console.

Black Friday will most likely dawn a bundle with Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart for like, $350 or something.

I work for GameStop. As soon as I hear ANYTHING regarding Smash, I'll post about it. November 21st sounds extremely likely to me.

Last edited:

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
Delays happen. But the original plan was obviously for December 3, 2007, and that was rushing it. The game still had much more to complete.

I know another delay could happen.

But with:
all of the promotion of this game
the fact there's already TV spots for it (there's one on the Wii U eShop, at least for the 3DS version)
The icons for the game (that appear on your home screen/in the shop) have been recently uploaded
The GameExplain interview stated the game would be out BEFORE black friday
we have a listing from Video Products Distributors, the U.S. wholesale retailer... for 11/21
the eShop is FILLED with videos for the game

With Brawl, Nintendo didn't need to convince people to buy their system. People were literally being trampled to death and drank water until it killed them for the Wii.

With the Wii U, Nintendo literally cannot afford to not have this game out by Christmas. They NEED this Christmas to boost their sales, and they need this game out BEFORE the BIGGEST shopping day OF THE YEAR to sell this console.

Black Friday will most likely dawn a bundle with Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart for like, $350 or something.

I work for GameStop. As soon as I hear ANYTHING regarding Smash, I'll post about it. November 21st sounds extremely likely to me.
I've been hearing November 21st from everywhere. GameStop, Toys R Us, Best Buy employees (not really the place itself). I'm hoping this is the real release date! o.o does that mean Japan will be getting it in October though or will it be a world wide release?

DavingTheWorld

Smash Rookie
NNID
DavingTheWorld
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo fires the infamous delayzors again if it means bringing back Melee mechanics. Longevity goes a long way. It seems like EA is learning this with Battlefield: Hardline. Way to go, what was that...like 10 years lol XD

Xigger

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo fires the infamous delayzors again if it means bringing back Melee mechanics. Longevity goes a long way. It seems like EA is learning this with Battlefield: Hardline. Way to go, what was that...like 10 years lol XD
Please, let's not start that up. I think it would take more than a few months to do that.

I don't want delays at all.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I've been hearing November 21st from everywhere. GameStop, Toys R Us, Best Buy employees (not really the place itself). I'm hoping this is the real release date! o.o does that mean Japan will be getting it in October though or will it be a world wide release?
Don't think we'd get a worldwide release, although it may happen since Pokemon is releasing on the same day in Japan as it is in North America. So perhaps they'll launch Smash U with it over there as well, however it would be weird to have them get a longer wait between 3DS and Wii U version. We'll see, I'm 50/50 on a worldwide release for the U version although I do think the 21st is the date for America.

You again. I think the mechanics added to the game are great, and the ones removed can be added within the timeframe between the demo and launch, no need to delay the game to add Melee stuff for the sake of adding Melee stuff when they are already implementing techniques that are new and create a way for competitive play. Nintendo won't delay this game.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Best Buy has the Wii U Smash with GC controller bundle up for pre-order. Date? October 24. Priced at $100. Wish Nintendo would give us an official date.
That seems early... unless they confused it with the Japan release? Which would be the same distance between version releases (Japan Sept 13th and Oct 24th, US Oct 3rd and Nov 21st, makes sense).

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
That seems early... unless they confused it with the Japan release? Which would be the same distance between version releases (Japan Sept 13th and Oct 24th, US Oct 3rd and Nov 21st, makes sense).
I think that date being the Japanese release makes a lot of sense.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im looking at near christmas for the wii u version.

Thats like wii u smash bros bundle sales going off the charts at that time.

Not to mention that its confirmed to be E10+ as are rating so no longer teen easier for parents to accept getting it.

I think thats the right rating for all 3 which is now 4

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
2016 shouldn't even be an option on here, that is WAAAAAAAY too pessimistic. Heck, even Q2 2015 is too pessimistic.

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
Don't think we'd get a worldwide release, although it may happen since Pokemon is releasing on the same day in Japan as it is in North America. So perhaps they'll launch Smash U with it over there as well, however it would be weird to have them get a longer wait between 3DS and Wii U version. We'll see, I'm 50/50 on a worldwide release for the U version although I do think the 21st is the date for America.

You again. I think the mechanics added to the game are great, and the ones removed can be added within the timeframe between the demo and launch, no need to delay the game to add Melee stuff for the sake of adding Melee stuff when they are already implementing techniques that are new and create a way for competitive play. Nintendo won't delay this game.
Yeah it would be very weird, I'm just guessing, it'll kinda suck running around with the 3DS version while Japan already has the Wii version. But oh well, it'll make for some fun gameplay videos to watch I suppose.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'd definitely say before Christmas of this year, but I'm also sceptical of the November 21st rumour. Although it has a considerable amount of weight behind it, it just seems too 'clean' to me... I guess one could say my wariness is still high after suffering through Brawl's delays. That being said, I do not believe we'll see it after Christmas, as this would be a massive self-inflicted blow to Nintendo and their chance to get the Wii U to acceptable sales levels.

In the end, I hope the November 21st rumour is true, but I'm still wary, and realistically expect to see it in early December.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
November 21st is a really sensible release date. It's a week before black Friday, which means you get to sell the game and Wii U bundles at full price to those who need it on release, and then have a huge sales spike immediately afterwards.

What is there to be sceptical of? Even if it is a guess, it's probably still accurate.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
November 21st is a really sensible release date. It's a week before black Friday, which means you get to sell the game and Wii U bundles at full price to those who need it on release, and then have a huge sales spike immediately afterwards.

What is there to be sceptical of? Even if it is a guess, it's probably still accurate.
Just to let you know. I HAVE erased quite alot of the background to show you the game only without it looking messy.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
Why would I want a delay to make the game worse?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I want the game out when it's ready.

If they have a post-release plan for DLC and whatnot, that works too.

In other words, probably 2015, but I don't know for sure.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
So Nov 21st is all but confirmed? I do remember seeing this date a couple of times before

Last edited:
Top Bottom