• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Wii U Release Date

What year do you think the Wii U version will relase?

• Total voters

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I checked, and suprisingly there was not official discussion on the release date for Wii U! Here we can talk about the release date, delays, or even the time between the 3ds and wii u release! Who cares if we know the full roster before the Wii U version is released? We won't know all the wii u stages or trophies, or alot more! It is supposed to be released this year, but you know what happened to brawl! Though, it is probably so close to finished with development, it probably won't be delayed.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
My guess is 2015 summer, if it does come out this winter I would be ecstatic though.

Edit: Although it's a really good sign that the 3ds version coming out this year, we will know if smash is getting delay if the 3ds gets pushed back.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
My guess is 2015 summer, if it does come out this winter I would be ecstatic though.

Edit: Although it's a really good sign that the 3ds version coming out this year, we will know if smash is getting delay if the 3ds gets pushed back.
2015 Summer? That's literally a year from now, and a very wide gap from the 3DS October release. I don't think they would allow such a time gap if they're planning to put out both titles with hopes of success/profit.

Either 2014 Winter, or early 2015 looks the most plausible.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Even though "Holiday 2014" its still a bit suspicious and I would expect one more delay to the earliest 2015. SSBU has the advantage of technically being complete since the day its released on the 3DS. So the balance and characters should be totally completed before that date.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

No way its going to be a full year for the wii u one

Mario kart 8 bundles sold about 29,000 a week and as for smash bros 4 bundles i can see it tripling the speed of sales of mario kart 8 bundles (Quadruple the speed if its a week or 2 away from christmas. Aka sell just as fast as normal wiis near the begining.)

So either december or early 2015 is when i espect smash bros wii u version.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I imagine we're going to get a release date in an October Direct. Either way, no way they're getting it out after christmas, if they end up delaying it that far they have goofed very hard, it's the Wii U's christmas seller this year and it depends very heavily on this particular title, I can't imagine them missing the opportunity.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I imagine we're going to get a release date in an October Direct. Either way, no way they're getting it out after christmas, if they end up delaying it that far they have goofed very hard, it's the Wii U's christmas seller this year and it depends very heavily on this particular title, I can't imagine them missing the opportunity.
I know the smash bros wii u bundle will sell just as fast as the normal wiis if released near and before christmas.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I do think it is going to be this year. Well at least I hope so cuz I wanna play smash on my wii u for christmas or my bday (december 28th)

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
November or December of this year. If something goes wrong, than the futuristic year of hoverboards and underground malls and flying cars 2015 then.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I have a feeling it may get pushed back to early 2015 i'm not complaining if it does i want the best smash game possible but this wait is so strong.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
It will be out this year. Nintendo cannot afford to miss a system seller before the holiday. Not for the Wii U.

Morbi

Scavenger
It will be out this year. Nintendo cannot afford to miss a system seller before the holiday. Not for the Wii U.
Apparently, they can afford to miss another console-seller as they decided to release the cheaper and more accessible variant of Smash during a less competitive window. Did I mention that this version is coming out before the Wii U version? That sure will sell a lot of consoles, great idea, Nintendo!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If Nintendo knows what's good for them, they'll release it early to mid December.

If they miss their final bet of a system seller for the 2014 Christmas season, they're sunk.

Apparently, they can afford to miss another console-seller as they decided to release the cheaper and more accessible variant of Smash during a less competitive window. Did I mention that this version is coming out before the Wii U version? That sure will sell a lot of consoles, great idea, Nintendo!
Yes, that was an incredibly stupid move on their part.

Nintendo refuses to acknowledge that they're in trouble, and that attitude will just dig their own grave deeper.

Last edited:

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Yeah I think so too it will definitly coming out this year and before the holiday.

If Nintendo knows what's good for them, they'll release it early to mid December.

If they miss their final bet of a system seller for the 2014 Christmas season, they're sunk.

Nintendo refuses to acknowledge that they're in trouble, and that attitude will just dig their own grave deeper.
Wow! thats a lot of mains characters

Last edited:

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I actually think it's a pretty smart move on nintendos part, not many people (including myself) would buy an inferior version just for portability if we could have the superior one first.

Also with that being said plenty of people at e3 (I remember game explain and maximizing dude in particular) saying that the line for the wii u version always had a much longer line compared to the 3ds version, so there's easily more interest in the wii u version it seems. (There's also other factors like the wii u version having gc controllers as well as being the version that will be used at tourneys)

So I honestly feel releasing the 3ds version first only helps the 3ds version sales and it might actually make someone want to pick up the wii u version if anything.

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I believe that will be right at the end/beginning of the year

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I actually think it's a pretty smart move on nintendos part, not many people (including myself) would buy an inferior version just for portability if we could have the superior one first.

Also with that being said plenty of people at e3 (I remember game explain and maximizing dude in particular) saying that the line for the wii u version always had a much longer line compared to the 3ds version, so there's easily more interest in the wii u version it seems. (There's also other factors like the wii u version having gc controllers as well as being the version that will be used at tourneys)

So I honestly feel releasing the 3ds version first only helps the 3ds version sales and it might actually make someone want to pick up the wii u version if anything.
Except most people will not be getting both.

Do you know what the attitudes of most parents will be?
"No, Billy, you already have that game."

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
I dunno about you guys, but I'd rather Nintendo take their time debugging and polishing up a game as the case with Smash 4 on the 3DS then get a game like this! ;)

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189

These versions are coming out months apart on different systems, HELL I have a friend who's parents got him 2 copys of the same version of sonic unleashed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The most important part, the mechanics, will be complete when SSB3D is finished. How in the world could they mess up so badly that it would get delayed to next year?

And just a note, SSB3D comes out in summer in Japan and wasn't delayed. The people who made the direct didn't know that the US release wouldn't make it to summer.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

Yeah, and I work at GameStop....I had all kinds of Parents come in and their children got BOTH versions of Pokemon...This isn't any different, since they're even actual different games.

xTeru

Smash Cadet
I wonder if the japanese Wii U version comes out before the NA/EU versions too, would kinda suck :ohwell:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice

Except Nintendo is not at all in trouble. They've made so much money since 1985 that the Wii U's relatively poor sale numbers are not going to kill them, and the 3DS is still doing well.

Also, as far as marketing strategies go, by releasing Smash 3D in Sept/Oct and getting it out of the way, the holiday focus goes to Smash Wii U. Think about it: The 3DS version will have been around long enough that it's no longer major news. Everybody will expect Wii U bundles and Wii U sales. Kids will ask for the Wii U version, because that'll be the one all over TV and the internet right when the Christmas sales are hot.

LF2K

Floor Diver

But I plan on getting both. :troll:

Joking aside, I'm sure we'll see the Wii U version before Black Friday. Smash is definitely the big heavy hitter for Christmas this year.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Definitely before christmas. Nintendo's already released half of its system sellers for this year, which is great and all, but Mario Kart isn't hype enough to get people to buy a Wii U. Smash is, though. I know many people who say "Oh I'll get one for when Smash comes out."

I was one of those people too, but I ended up grabbing one when WWHD came out.

If I were Nintendo and really wanted to sell Wii U's for christmas, I'd release a bundle including: Deluxe flavor Wii U (Special color, perhaps? If red I'd try to harass my wife into letting me get a second console), Smash 4, gamecube adapter and controller & download code for Mario Kart 8, for $399.99.

That's a killer deal. Basically you're just getting a Wii U and Special Edition of Smash but also MK for free on top of it. Parents probably would not resist it, especially if their kids are freaking out about it (As they would). That's personally what I would do if I were Nintendo.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
If I were Nintendo and really wanted to sell Wii U's for christmas, I'd release a bundle including: Deluxe flavor Wii U (Special color, perhaps? If red I'd try to harass my wife into letting me get a second console), Smash 4, gamecube adapter and controller & download code for Mario Kart 8, for $399.99.

That's a killer deal. Basically you're just getting a Wii U and Special Edition of Smash but also MK for free on top of it. Parents probably would not resist it, especially if their kids are freaking out about it (As they would). That's personally what I would do if I were Nintendo.
You have put the most beautiful image in my head and I'm probably going to be disappointed. Good lord, a Smash Edition Wii U would be

I have no words. There are no words.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You have put the most beautiful image in my head and I'm probably going to be disappointed. Good lord, a Smash Edition Wii U would be

I have no words. There are no words.
(Especially if it matched the mockup I did of a Smash 3DS)

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I think it'll come out before Christmas, even if it ends up getting rushed out the door. Kids are going to want it, and hopefully it'll push Wii U sales.

Also as a side note I know for a fact that I'll be getting both. I decided a long time ago that I'd rather play $100 for a single game that I know I'll really enjoy than $100 for two (or even four, or even twenty) games that I'll play for less than an hour and then abandon. It's a bigger upfront cost, but in the long run it's more fun for your money. For those of us who have money to manage, it actually makes more sense to throw money at a known good thing over wasting money on games you'll never want to play.

I compare it to the price of a movie ticket. Movies around here are $11 a ticket, so that's $11 for two hours or $5.5 per hour. Compare that to a $60 game, then there's a minimum of ~10.9 hours fun time required for me to consider it to be "worth it".

For games like Pokemon where my playtime is in the hundreds of hours for a $40 game, that's clearly worth the cost of admission. I've probably sunk about... huh, 750 hours into Chrono Trigger (my favorite game by leagues) and I think I payed about $50 for that. If you think about it in terms of "fun efficiency", a really good game is well worth the price. For Smash I've sunk a lot of time into both Melee and Brawl, but most of that was on my friend's version so I have no idea what the actual time is. I only know that it was "a lot".

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
There are four possible scenarios regarding the release of these games:
1. Wii U and 3DS versions come out at the same time. People will buy one version (the Wii U version).
2. The Wii U version comes out first, nobody buys the 3DS version.
3. The 3DS version comes out first, people buy it and continue to anticipate the superior game coming out in a few months. Both versions are bought.
4. Drop everything, cancel both versions, and make Candy Crush clones for Smartphones.

Seems like they picked the best option.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm calling it right now.

November 15, 2014.

I'm going to play this like the Price is Right. Get as close as you can to the date without going over.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm calling it right now.

November 15, 2014.

I'm going to play this like the Price is Right. Get as close as you can to the date without going over.
That's six days before Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Would they release two high profile games back to back like that?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's six days before Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Would they release two high profile games back to back like that?
I doubt it. I picked the date cause it's my brother's birthday :awesome:
If it releases somewhere around that date though, I'll consider it a victory.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I don' t think Nintendo will wait till 2015, even if they have to rush some things. Dec 12 is my guess. Friday release with enough time for people to pick up the game and possibly a new Wii U before Christmas.

Top Bottom