• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Whole Rosalina Nerf Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
People still have trouble though.
Yes, but then the impetus is on them as a player to put the work in and understand how the character works. I don't call hokum on my brother for bodying me with Alph, I take it as a reminder that I don't know the character very well and could stand to study the matchup better.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes, but then the impetus is on them as a player to put the work in and understand how the character works. I don't call hokum on my brother for bodying me with Alph, I take it as a reminder that I don't know the character very well and could stand to study the matchup better.
Pretty much this. I'm a lousy Greninja user, but there are players who can use Greninja much more effectively.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I have no idea what point I was trying to prove on that post...

I honestly think that Rosalina doesn't need any kind of nerf, but her Smash attacks have high priority. Of course, Smash attacks are meant to be broken (Not really, but you know what I mean) but she has high priority in them and somewhat good range. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Frankly, Rosalina doesn't need any more nerfs than what she received in Smash 3DS's 1.0.4 update.
I can't tell if she is perfectly balanced or awkwardly balanced, both are fine though.

Scratch what I just said. A question just brought up to my mind.

So lets say that the upcoming patch makes the current top tiers nerfed in an agreeable way. So that means Sheik, Sonic, Diddy Kong, and maybe a few others I didn't list, gets removal of what makes them stand out. Like how all of them have an absurd amount of kill options. (Not really absurd. Except for Diddy Kong.) So wouldn't that make Rosalina the best character in the game? I know it's a stretch, but I think it's very likely.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I already think Rosalina is the best in the game, easily, as I said in my initial post. If the other top tiers got nerfed considerably and Rosalina left untouched, THEN Rosalina would DEFINITELY be OP.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So... If that happens. Now what? Do we hope for another patch? Or does Rosie takes Diddy Kongs Throne for good?
The latter would be preferable. :V

Nah, but if Rosalina does end up broken for stupid reasons, then yeah, I would want to see her fixed. I think she's he best not because she has stupid set-ups that are too easy to do or anything. I think she's the best because she has more potential than any other character, there is way more to learn and to master, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if we are still coming up with new stuff for her when the next Smash game comes around. I don't want her potential squandered, and making her stupidly broken, or just weakening her for the sake of it would be equally bad in my eyes.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
The latter would be preferable. :V

Nah, but if Rosalina does end up broken for stupid reasons, then yeah, I would want to see her fixed. I think she's he best not because she has stupid set-ups that are too easy to do or anything. I think she's the best because she has more potential than any other character, there is way more to learn and to master, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if we are still coming up with new stuff for her when the next Smash game comes around. I don't want her potential squandered, and making her stupidly broken, or just weakening her for the sake of it would be equally bad in my eyes.
She does have some potential Luma. Near-endless potential. I think the main issue right now is that Rosalina can still kick butt without Luma. In my opinion, she needs to be a character that works well with the main gimmick, but without it, She becomes useless.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She does have some potential Luma. Near-endless potential. I think the main issue right now is that Rosalina can still kick butt without Luma. In my opinion, she needs to be a character that works well with the main gimmick, but without it, She becomes useless.
I disagree. Rosalina is mid-tier without Luma for a whole match (I sometimes fight entire matches as just Rosalina to mess with people), and that's how it should be. Her strength comes in hard work and determination, and keeping Luma safe, among many other things. There is nothing ridiculous about Solo Rosalina. For one, her Smash attacks, while powerful and having a snappy start-up, have a moderate amount of ending lag.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I disagree. Rosalina is mid-tier without Luma for a whole match (I sometimes fight entire matches as just Rosalina to mess with people), and that's how it should be. Her strength comes in hard work and determination, and keeping Luma safe, among many other things. There is nothing ridiculous about Solo Rosalina. For one, her Smash attacks, while powerful and having a snappy start-up, have a moderate amount of ending lag.
Eh. That is true. Solo Rosalina has only her Smash attacks, Gravitational Pull, and I guess her aerials as her only way of survival.

Speaking of Gravitational Pull. I think this is the most controversial thing about Rosalina. It has a huge range, but it literally benefits nothing except for defensive reasons. I do believe the ending lag to is un-punishable (Depending on the set of circumstances) In fact, I've seen more Rosalina users use it more than just dodging the projectile since it has such a low ending lag. That might be a bit questionable. Sure. It protects Luma, but solo Rosalina needs it like crazy, but the nearly non-existent ending lag kinda makes it. Dare I say: slightly op?

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Well, she is the only character in the game that can't be grabbed properly, and can punish you while you are punishing her. Plus all the luma glitch she has and the ability to protect herself after her shield is broken with luma. Humm She need some adjustments.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Solo Rosalina isn't useless on her own, all of her moves are still great. She still out ranges most attacks.

Also GP is only good at mid range or more, and even then, it depends on the opponents speed.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Well, she is the only character in the game that can't be grabbed properly, and can punish you while you are punishing her. Plus all the luma glitch she has and the ability to protect herself after her shield is broken with luma. Humm She need some adjustments.
Luma being able to protect her while the shield is broken is not a glitch, it is intended. Luma can not punish you if you throw Rosalina away fast, if and only if you try to pummel Luma can punish you for that, please be careful with what you say.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Luma being able to protect her while the shield is broken is not a glitch, it is intended. Luma can not punish you if you throw Rosalina away fast, if and only if you try to pummel Luma can punish you for that, please be careful with what you say.
Who says that? just because you think is not a glitch doesn't make it true. Pls provide me a link where it says it should work like that way. It doesn't matter if you are confident with your main, there a lot of things that shoudn't work the way they do. You can't perfect shield her neutral air and then grab because even if you do, luma still continue his attack and that is a glitch right in the face of everyone. You are the one who should be careful because I bet you haven't done the proper research of this character like real rosa's mains. Why do you think every pro rosa player is nervous about this patch? next time you state something provide true info to back it up. Also, how the heck a character doesn't give a crap about pummel? try to grab rosa with a slow character, even if you throw her right away, the punish is guaranteed so don't make excuse to keep your supposed AT who is clearly a glitch.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Who says that? just because you think is not a glitch doesn't make it true. Pls provide me a link where it says it should work like that way. It doesn't matter if you are confident with your main, there a lot of things that shoudn't work the way they do. You can't perfect shield her neutral air and then grab because even if you do, luma still continue his attack and that is a glitch right in the face of everyone. You are the one who should be careful because I bet you haven't done the proper research of this character like real rosa's mains. Why do you think every pro rosa player is nervous about this patch? next time you state something provide true info to back it up. Also, how the heck a character doesn't give a crap about pummel? try to grab rosa with a slow character, even if you throw her right away, the punish is guaranteed so don't make excuse to keep your supposed AT who is clearly a glitch.
There is literally a loading screen tip that states "Luma can still attack even when Rosalina is unable to move".

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
There is literally a loading screen tip that states "Luma can still attack even when Rosalina is unable to move".
provide the link of that. I hope it says something like "when your shield is broken, luma can still protect you". In game tip screens weren't ever a good example on what won't change, I told you this from lots of competitive fighter balance patch experience. Smash is not the exception.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
You need to calm down before saying things like "You are the one who should be careful because I bet you haven't done the proper research of this character like real rosa's mains." I've done more than enough research, I know what I'm talking about, unlike you who claims the unique things that she can do is a glitch, and further more thinks that she should be nerfed when she has plenty of things you can exploit, you know nothing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When in doubt, refer to my complete coverage thread, as it does contain all the tips that I've spotted for Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
who says that refers to shield break? it clearly state this about being hold by and item or other stuff.
Having your shield broken counts as a situation where you can't move. Other examples include sleeping, paralysed, grabbed, etc.

mysteryracer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sacredrose
I wouldn't necessarily say this makes Rosalina OP, but her Gravitational Pull is invalidating to certain characters. It's not even an integral force in Rosalina's offensive game—and quite honestly, Rosalina would still be a very solid character even without it—; it just seems to exist to give the middle finger to players who invested time in perfecting characters like PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, Megaman, Villager, etc., and forces them into an unnatural playstyle. Again, not necessarily OP, as a player should be able to adapt, but it throws a wrench onto a significant portion of the cast and may make certain players resistant to investing the time in those characters simply because of the MU, when they could spend the same time mastering a character who can win the MU and be just as effective in tournaments. The arguments that Rosalina's Gravitational Pull only being safe from mid to long range are a bit redundant, unless the implication is that Duck Hunts and Villagers have to decrease their spacing to a dangerous and risky level just to get around it—which isn't practical for those characters.

I was honestly expecting a nerf to Gravitational Pull in this update, at least so Rosalinas would have to time it better rather than it being so spammable yet safe, but no nerf was given to Gravitational pull. Also, about the nerf scenario:

If the other top tiers got nerfed considerably and Rosalina left untouched, THEN Rosalina would DEFINITELY be OP.
Diddy's Hoo Hah is gone, and Sheik's bair doesn't have the same killing power. Two integral killing moves from two of the S-Tiers are gone. Just saying.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Diddy's Hoo Hah is gone, and Sheik's bair doesn't have the same killing power. Two integral killing moves from two of the S-Tiers are gone. Just saying.
I'm aware. I suppose we'll just have to see if those two have too much trouble KO'ing now compared to the other top tiers like Rosalina, Sonic, and Yoshi.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Wait.. What the heck? Am I reading this correctly? Are these Rosalina players seriously this entitled and believing Rosalina should have received some buffs instead?

Every character when going against Rosalima literally has to bend over backwards and work their ass off to put some actual percentage on you (only to just run into your jab that does massive damage and covers a bajillion options). Your punish game is incredible, your down special needs cool down and should not be so spammable; Make it at least as punishable as Fox/Ness Down special. Grabbing you isn't the safest thing in the world, we can't pummel you, and following up after grabs ain't safe either. Your dash attack/jab is amazing and pops everyone realllllly high which is great cuz your juggling game is superb as well. Are you seriously complaining about your grab? WFT, Pacman, Robin, Palutena's whiffed dash grab, any heavyweights would see your entitled dolphin princess ass as spoiled for complaining about your grab. I mean I GUESS out of your entire amazing toolkit with lots of lingering hitbox and priority and little end lag, your grab isn't nearly as convenient but Jesus Christ are you seriously WHINING about it? All of Rosalina's known weakness are easily covered above and beyond by her overwhelming strengths and the sheer number of LUXURIOUS things going on for her.

Rosalina is a very high floor, extremely high ceiling character. I don't deny there's a lot of difficult technical things you have at your disposal to master and the road that separates the floor to the ceiling is extremely steep. But she is overwhelming on ALL levels among casuals and pros and she's definitely one of the BEST characters. Don't kid yourself. Ultimately, it seems impossible to objectively claim a character is OP or cheap but objectively, there has been a significant number of subjective disfavorable opinions towards Rosalina. Probably for a good collective intuitive reason.

She would be more balanced and possibly less hated if Rosalina needed to manually get her Luma back by making her charge up her neutral special to revive Luma. Sort of like the mechanics behind Mario's fludd. Rosalina would have to create a situation so she is in a good position to earn her Luma back, rather than being rewarded for being "patient" and running/rolling away. I personally subjectively find her to be cheap and am never impressed by Rosalina player's "patience".

Don't even let me start on her custom moves. And yes I main Pikachu and I will NEVER defend Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash when people complain about it. It obviously deviates FAR from the norm. I'm not delusional. That **** needs more endlag. I absolutely feel dirty using that move so I straight up don't use that customs Pikachu unless the other player is WAYYYY better than me and I need some bull**** jank to break even.

I don't want Rosalina players to feel dirty. It's not their fault Rosalina gives so many characters a difficult time. But **** you for actually believing you're all fair and white. Rosalina is a dark DARK shade of grey.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Am I at the beach? There sure is a lot of salt in the air.

I personally don't think she needed any buffs, doesn't mean I didn't want any. All it means, that we may have wanted buffs, is that we do not feel she is perfect.

There is no harm in that, let alone provoking this kind of rant from you. Get over yourself.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121

I personally don't think she needed any buffs, doesn't mean I didn't want any. All it means, that we may have wanted buffs, is that we do not feel she is perfect.

There is no harm in that, let alone provoking this kind of rant from you. Get over yourself.
"Get over yourself" - Zonderion

Signature:

"Winnar;9467092 said:
Zonderion 4 prez

:D +1"

K. I'm over myself now thanks.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wait.. What the heck? Am I reading this correctly? Are these Rosalina players seriously this entitled and believing Rosalina should have received some buffs instead?

Every character when going against Rosalima literally has to bend over backwards and work their *** off to put some actual percentage on you (only to just run into your jab that does massive damage and covers a bajillion options). Your punish game is incredible, your down special needs cool down and should not be so spammable; Make it at least as punishable as Fox/Ness Down special. Grabbing you isn't the safest thing in the world, we can't pummel you, and following up after grabs ain't safe either. Your dash attack/jab is amazing and pops everyone realllllly high which is great cuz your juggling game is superb as well. Are you seriously complaining about your grab? WFT, Pacman, Robin, Palutena's whiffed dash grab, any heavyweights would see your entitled dolphin princess *** as spoiled for complaining about your grab. I mean I GUESS out of your entire amazing toolkit with lots of lingering hitbox and priority and little end lag, your grab isn't nearly as convenient but Jesus Christ are you seriously WHINING about it? All of Rosalina's known weakness are easily covered above and beyond by her overwhelming strengths and the sheer number of LUXURIOUS things going on for her.

Rosalina is a very high floor, extremely high ceiling character. I don't deny there's a lot of difficult technical things you have at your disposal to master and the road that separates the floor to the ceiling is extremely steep. But she is overwhelming on ALL levels among casuals and pros and she's definitely one of the BEST characters. Don't kid yourself. Ultimately, it seems impossible to objectively claim a character is OP or cheap but objectively, there has been a significant number of subjective disfavorable opinions towards Rosalina. Probably for a good collective intuitive reason.

She would be more balanced and possibly less hated if Rosalina needed to manually get her Luma back by making her charge up her neutral special to revive Luma. Sort of like the mechanics behind Mario's fludd. Rosalina would have to create a situation so she is in a good position to earn her Luma back, rather than being rewarded for being "patient" and running/rolling away. I personally subjectively find her to be cheap and am never impressed by Rosalina player's "patience".

Don't even let me start on her custom moves. And yes I main Pikachu and I will NEVER defend Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash when people complain about it. It obviously deviates FAR from the norm. I'm not delusional. That **** needs more endlag. I absolutely feel dirty using that move so I straight up don't use that customs Pikachu unless the other player is WAYYYY better than me and I need some bull**** jank to break even.

I don't want Rosalina players to feel dirty. It's not their fault Rosalina gives so many characters a difficult time. But **** you for actually believing you're all fair and white. Rosalina is a dark DARK shade of grey.
Sounds to me like you just need more practice with the matchup.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman

Every character when going against Rosalima literally has to bend over backwards and work their *** off to put some actual percentage on you (only to just run into your jab that does massive damage and covers a bajillion options). Your punish game is incredible, your down special needs cool down and should not be so spammable; Make it at least as punishable as Fox/Ness Down special. Grabbing you isn't the safest thing in the world, we can't pummel you, and following up after grabs ain't safe either. Your dash attack/jab is amazing and pops everyone realllllly high which is great cuz your juggling game is superb as well. Are you seriously complaining about your grab? WFT, Pacman, Robin, Palutena's whiffed dash grab, any heavyweights would see your entitled dolphin princess *** as spoiled for complaining about your grab. I mean I GUESS out of your entire amazing toolkit with lots of lingering hitbox and priority and little end lag, your grab isn't nearly as convenient but Jesus Christ are you seriously WHINING about it? All of Rosalina's known weakness are easily covered above and beyond by her overwhelming strengths and the sheer number of LUXURIOUS things going on for her.

This is what happens when bad players pick top tier characters. In injustice, a lot of superman mains pre nerfs where exactly as the rosa players here. I played superman and I admited how good he was. Let's see how tournaments behave from now on. If diddy and sheik are really inferior to rosalina now, then everyone will start maining her and if that happens, people will start complaining and you know what happens after that ;)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
This is what happens when bad players pick top tier characters. In injustice, a lot of superman mains pre nerfs where exactly as the rosa players here. I played superman and I admited how good he was. Let's see how tournaments behave from now on. If diddy and sheik are really inferior to rosalina now, then everyone will start maining her and if that happens, people will start complaining and you know what happens after that ;)
I agree to an extent. A lot of the public eyes were on Sheik and Diddy and they got nerfs. Where I would differ is the entry level to picking up and playing Rosalina. It takes time and dedication to play her well. However, if she did remain in the public eye, as being too good, then yes, she will probably get nerfed.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Holy ****, I suggested 3 trivial "buffs" (though I consider them basic polishing more than anything) and people lose their minds.

It's not like I don't think other characters need fixing way more than Rosalina. I think she's bottom of the queue.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I agree to an extent. A lot of the public eyes were on Sheik and Diddy and they got nerfs. Where I would differ is the entry level to picking up and playing Rosalina. It takes time and dedication to play her well. However, if she did remain in the public eye, as being too good, then yes, she will probably get nerfed.
I know she requires some skill level, of course! but that doesn't stop scrubs jumping on the train and casuals losing to her dash attack jab and uair combos that everyone knows how to do. Bnb rosalina eats casuals like hot cakes so expect a lot of complains if there isn't another top tier.

mysteryracer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sacredrose
I'm aware. I suppose we'll just have to see if those two have too much trouble KO'ing now compared to the other top tiers like Rosalina, Sonic, and Yoshi.
I can at least say, from the standpoint of a Diddy main, Diddy's nerfs are pretty detrimental to his character. Hoo Hah wasn't the only thing that got nerfed. His overall damage got nerfed, which may seem minor, but with Diddy's damage coming from his expansive combos, that percent loss stacks up. Diddy now has to put in much more work to get the opponent up to the same percents, and doesn't even get the assistance of a reliable kill option anymore, thanks to the reduced knockback of most of his kill options. He's got banana to F-Smash/U-Smash now, which makes Diddy pretty predictable now, and not a good enough tradeoff for his predictable and easily punishable recovery. Diddy pretty much got robbed of his diversity for no good reason other than that it's popular to hate on Diddy, so Nintendo complied with the popularity.

Now we have a game with only potentially 5 S-Tiers, instead of 7. I don't understand how this update balanced the game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree that a lot of buffs and nerfs this time around feel weirdly distributed, but I think leaving Rosalina untouched is fine. She's not an easy to use character, you can't just pick her up and win against halfway decent players. She should be rewarding, which is why I don't want to see her nerfed.

Also Hoo-hah is not gone altogether. It's still doable, just not as head scratchingly powerful as it once was. I KO'd Olimar on Battlefield with it, and he had 90% when he went out.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I can at least say, from the standpoint of a Diddy main, Diddy's nerfs are pretty detrimental to his character. Hoo Hah wasn't the only thing that got nerfed. His overall damage got nerfed, which may seem minor, but with Diddy's damage coming from his expansive combos, that percent loss stacks up. Diddy now has to put in much more work to get the opponent up to the same percents, and doesn't even get the assistance of a reliable kill option anymore, thanks to the reduced knockback of most of his kill options. He's got banana to F-Smash/U-Smash now, which makes Diddy pretty predictable now, and not a good enough tradeoff for his predictable and easily punishable recovery. Diddy pretty much got robbed of his diversity for no good reason other than that it's popular to hate on Diddy, so Nintendo complied with the popularity.

Now we have a game with only potentially 5 S-Tiers, instead of 7. I don't understand how this update balanced the game.
Well I hope you see this as an opportunity to explore and push your character even further and find ways to not be as predictable with your banana's and F-Smash/U-Smash. Most of us don't even have banana's, just F-Smash/U-Smash. Anyways we welcome you back to Normal tier where we all have to work quite hard to win. Perhaps you'll experience something fulfilling when you win strictly because you are without a doubt the better player. It's quite rewarding to win things that are a bit of a challenge. Good luck! Stay Strong. I honestly am tired of being on the Diddy hate train and am now very interested in what's going to happen with Diddy next!

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Gamefaqs casuals are on fire right now since Rosalina didn't get a nerf...

Anyway, Since Diddy is not-so-powerful, Sheik is fixed, and Sonic has less kill options, that leaves at least two characters to take the throne of best character of Sm4sh.

Rosalina:rosalina: and Yoshi:4yoshi:

I can see now that Rosalina is a balanced character. (According to @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ) I have no idea about Yoshi. Thanks to @aMSa . It feels like Yoshi didn't need such huge buffs. I could be wrong though.

My new Gamefaqs signature :)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gamefaqs casuals are on fire right now since Rosalina didn't get a nerf...

Anyway, Since Diddy is not-so-powerful, Sheik is fixed, and Sonic has less kill options, that leaves at least two characters to take the throne of best character of Sm4sh.

Rosalina:rosalina: and Yoshi:4yoshi:

I can see now that Rosalina is a balanced character. (According to @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ) I have no idea about Yoshi. Thanks to @aMSa . It feels like Yoshi didn't need such huge buffs. I could be wrong though.

My new Gamefaqs signature :)
Sonic is still one of the best. His frame data is godly. They just toned down some of his KO moves, that's all. He's still a contender with Rosalina and Yoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom