• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
What I think might make them more unique than a tag-in/transformation team or IC 2.0 would be if the partner character didn't interact with the other players except when they attack, and they only attack during certain commands.

So, you can't kill Lucina as Chrom's partner to gimp all of his attacks, but separating Chrom from Lucina would take away some of his options. I'll have to brainstorm specials but these would probably all involve the partner character, except the recovery since not only would that make the character impossible on their own, but it's also just what Ice Climbers do it's "been there done that."

I also think it'd be more unique if you decide who to play as via button push like Zamus, without it being a transformation.

I don't know if I've explained my ideas that clearly, so feel free to ask about 'em.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
But now with an on-topic post. The duo could work without being broken (in response to Pikmin's question) if maybe there was a "turn taken up" so to speak just like in FE. What I mean is that players could be left open while doing the combo duo attacks if they miss. Switching would also not be possible in the air for further balancing (for example, the player is knocked into the air as Chrom and would like to be Lucina so a better recovery could be utilized...too bad.) Strategy would obviously have to be utilized because of the necessary planning ahead involved with using the character (fitting regarding what series they are from). Also, the duo would be quite vulnerable while switching so players can not carelessly switch around the characters to get the "right character to fit the right situation". This would make the duo hard to master but extremely rewarding when used correctly.

Also, I personally think they wouldn't be like IC's and here is why. In Awakening, only one character can be damaged and in Smash this should transfer. If you are Chrom, Lucina would follow you around kind of like as if she is in between the background and the playing field, and vice versa. Obviously, the character in the background can not be damaged but can deliver damage through link attacks.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Also, I personally think they wouldn't be like IC's and here is why. In Awakening, only one character can be damaged and in Smash this should transfer. If you are Chrom, Lucina would follow you around kind of like as if she is in between the background and the playing field, and vice versa. Obviously, the character in the background can not be damaged but can deliver damage through link attacks.
Yeah that's pretty much what I imagined. Something like that could make the duo an A in my book.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If Tiki gets a day, I suggest pairing her with Tharja, because she's more popular, and equally unimportant in the grand scheme of things. The third parties are fine as far as I'm concerned.

I would give the current Duo a B Tier ranking. They're two characters who aren't very unique smashed together.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
If Tiki gets a day, I suggest pairing her with Tharja, because she's more popular, and equally unimportant in the grand scheme of things. The third parties are fine as far as I'm concerned.

I would give the current Duo a B Tier ranking. They're two characters who aren't very unique smashed together.
Tiki's day passed already. But I'm not sure if there was a day for Tharja.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Almost forgot about Tharja. O.o
If you want me to add her to the last day, you gotta do an analysis for her then. :)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd personally prefer a more unique combo than Chrom and Lucina.
"The unique thing about this blue haired sword user is that there's another blue haired sword user with him"

andimidna

Smash Master
Man, if Chrom's hair was purple he'd receive about half of the hate he gets. It's so idiotic to worry about the color of a character's hair when it doesn't affect their play style or SSB in general.
Seriously, don't even mention their hair is blue. A sword team that can quickly swap to a lance team for farther range but less damage deserves A+ tier as it adds 2 new mechanics, no matter how you try to dumb it down.

Are you serious?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Chrom & Lucina: A Tier
An understandable duo, Chrom & Lucina make for a unique, or at the very least interesting, pairing. Drawing from Awakening's Dual Support System, there could be a combo breaker/combo extender tied into their switch (this idea originally came to me in the terms of a Chrom & Robin duo, but it still applies). This could include their respective lines from Dual Support. Regardless, the whole concept is dragged down by the fact that they are primarily swordsmen. While Falchion has some unique properties, basic attacks would likely feel uninspired. One of them having a spear could help this issue, but it would still be present. There's also this awesome idea I heard where one of them throws their sword and the other switches and catches it. That's awesome.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We already rated veterans, andimidna.;)
I think we'll end this day now, today we are rating 3 Fire Emblem newcomers, the sharpest of blades Lyn, Leif, and the creepypasta mage Tharja. Can Lyn prove that she is distinguishing enough to be different from Takamaru. Can the planned Melee clone prove that he has his worth to be a different character. And Tharja prove that her dark
tomes is unique enough to belong the Smash cast.

Remember, analyses are recommended.
Tagging:
@ Shorts Shorts for his reminder.
@ChronoBound if possible
@ManlySpirit if possible.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm going to give out my grades right now.

Leif could be interesting, but he can't really do anything different that Marth and Ike or any sword character don't have. I'm going to give him a C-.

Tharja's dark tomes would add an interesting twist with dark tomes, I'm going to give her a B+.

Lyn has her long sharp samurai sword, but it's nothing real special it's basically Takamaru minus the invisibility, ninja star, and the fireballs. B-.

If you guys just want to give out grades in this thread, please do so. I just want lots of interesting results.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's some Tharja suff

This thread is for the my fellow darksiders who support Tharja’s inclusion in Sm4sh. Come here to discuss her potential discussion with like minded people.

(Will edit later tomorrow with overviews, playstyles, and potential movesets, just want dibs on this character)

Overview (WIP)

~ You would trust me? What if this is all just a ploy to plunge a dagger in your back? ~

Tharja is a slightly obsessive Dark mage hailing from Plegia. Her spells very from common colds,to falsifying memories in the minds of anyone she chooses. She has the ability to act as a medium and speak with the dead; as well as being able to successfully counter, and reflect foes curses. Her dark magic stems from a long her standing tribe of Shamans she was born into. Her love for witchery is only rivaled by her love for FE:A’s Avatar, and depending on how you play out the game, she may just win his heart. Which is, you know, the way it should be.

Moveset (WIP)

~ These powers give me such wicked ideas ~

B Curse: Tharja fans her hands out in front of her, while holding her spell book. She has placed a trap. Coming into contact with it will cause it to explode, doing damage to the opponent. Crouching and using this will lay a trap on the ground, any other stance will have one in the air. She can lay up to three at a time, making a forth will cause them all to explode at once. But doing so means that the explosions may hurt yourself. (The explosions will only hurt yourself if you do it this way, otherwise they do not harm you)

B> Nosferatu: A flurry of shimmering lights appear in front of Tharja, that act as an extended “grab” in a way. It shows up in the exact same spot no matter what. The move has an extremely fast start up, but a relatively small window of opportunity to be used. If Nosferatu is executed correctly, the opponent will be held in mid air, while you slowly sap their life away. Does minimal damage, however heals yourself.

BV Deflect: This move does just as it says. A purple veil surrounds Tharja, and any projectiles or attacks are turned around. Works like Mario’s cape, except can be executed on something / someone behind her as well.

B^ Manakete Rising: Not canon, but I know she hold a manakete claw, and Sakurai isn’t canon anyways. She raises her Manakete’s claw into the air, and shadowy dragon wings appear on her back and lift her upwards into the air. Three quick flaps of her wings. The recovery is good, however she is completely vulnerable while using it.

Overall I think her moveset would be unique, but maybe not A material. I would give her a solid B+

I would say Lyn would be a B- considering there are a lot of potential Katana users, and I don't know much about Lief

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm honestly not seeing anything interesting in Leif or Lyn that we already have or could have from other series.

Tharja is my favorite out of this list purely because she's not another sword user.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Rating a lot of characters today, aren't we? Not exactly sure why we're rating Tharja, but okay.

Lyn: C
Lyn may be a Lord who wields a sword, but at least she's a woman. With green hair. So she'd visibly different from Marth and Ike, at least. Her stat growths more closely resemble those of a Mymidon, and in Awakening she was retconned as one as well. Myrmidons still wield swords, but they use them differently. Myrmidon are less strong, but quicker, more agile and more skilled than most other units. They generally outrank everyone else in speed, allowing them to hit a unit twice more often than not. Their high skill stat means higher chance of critical hits. Though, their defense is low they can be tough to hit. Their attacks are also more acrobatic than other units and generally involve flipping and spinning attacks. This is enough to separate her from her fellow swordsmen, but she would likely still have some generic swordsman moves. Adding a critical hit system or an Astra combo systems may help, but they would be fairly similar to Marth's tipper and Dancing Blade.

Leif: C+
Generic Lord swordsman is the route one is likely to take. In Awakening he is actually put into the Trickster class which could make him more unique. As a variant of the Thief class, Tricksters can pick locks and Leif could even be given the ability to pickpocket. They also wield staves which could allow him some healing move. Tricksters wield their swords backhanded as well, which could make up for some aspects of being another swordsman.

Tharja: B
Tharja has attitude, a dark attitude, but attitude nevertheless. As a character she offers Dark magic (which has lots of nasty effects) and also Anima Magic (Wind, Fire, Electric). So that's quite a bit to draw from. Tharja is also known for her curses and talismans, so those could be included in someway too. The other Dark Mage, Henry, from Awakening has the ability to control Crows (though it isn't mentioned much). Tharja could easily draw from that as well. Tharja has a lot of flair about her with her curses and threats. She has an attitude that would fit in well as she seems to love hurting people and/or using them as guinea pigs for her curses.

Sample set:

- Specials:

-- Standard Special: Mire
Mire is a long range dark magic tome.
This move will work like a combo of Sonic's Homing Attack and the Lyn Assist Trophy, it will automatically home in on the nearest enemy. After moderate casting lag, it will appear suddenly on the enemy as purple bubbles. However, Mire suffers from poor accuracy. There is only a 70% chance that this move will actually hit an opponent. When does make contact, it will do little damage and poison the opponent. On higher damage percentages, opponents will fall down, incapacitated for a short time when poisoned.

-- Side Special: Ruin
Ruin is a dark magic tome. It is not particularly powerful, but has high a critical hit chance.
After some casting lag, Tharja will produce a ball or purple energy. It is controllable to the degree that Zelda's Din Fire is, but it is not as fast nor as damaging. It hangs in the air for a bit as a trap move if it does not hit an opponent. Ruin has a 10% chance of hitting at 3 times power, which is a devastating hit.

-- Up Special: Nosferatu
Nosferatu is a dark magic tome that steals an opponent's health an gives half of it back to the user.
Now for some explaining on why i see this as an Up Special: in game the spell appears above he enemy unit's head and saps their health and then teleports back to Tharja and heals her. So, this would work similarly to Sheik's Explosion Up Special. She will disappear encased in the magic and reappear still encased. Tharja will be healed a small amount if this move connects.

-- Down Special: Hex/Anathema
Hex & Anathema are class skills of Dark Mages. Hex reduces avoid by 15 for adjacent enemies. Anathema reduces avoid by 10 for enemies within 3 spaces.
Tharja will hold up her hands and they will begin to glow, one will glow red and the other will glow purple (based on the skill icons for hex & anathema). This will be chargeable (in the usual way) and will max out at about a minute of use. Enemies nearby Tharja will have their movement speed reduced while this ability is active. The effect is stronger closer to Tharja.

- Final Smash: Vengeance/Lifetaker
Vengeance is the class skill of Sorcerors (the promotion of Dark Mages). It adds one's accrued damage to their attacks. Lifetaker is the class skill of Dark Knights. Lifetaker restores half one's health when one kills a unit.
Tharja will yell, "You're already dead!" and a large pillar of purple energy will appear from her hands. This will be similar to Samus' Final Laser and Lucario's Aura Beam. First, it will get stronger and faster depending on how much damage Tharja has accrued. When it hits an opponent, they will be stunned building up damage and knockback which is all dealt to them at the end of the attack. Tharja will heal approx. 30% for every kill she gets with this move.

- Smash Moves: For her smash moves, Tharja will use the other types of magic.

-- Side Smash: Fire Magic
Tharja creates a pillar of fire, which come from in front of her feet and strikes forward at a diagonal.

-- Down Smash: Thunder Magic
Tharja casts a bolt of lightning directly in front of herself. The bolt is about her size. This is one of those rare Down Smashes that doesn't hit both sides.

-- Up Smash: Wind Magic
Tharja swipes above herself (in the manner of Zelda's Up Aerial) with hands imbued with wind magic. Does pretty good knockback, not very much damage.

- Basic Attacks:

-- Combo:
Tharja performs a kick with good range, followed by two big hits her with her tome.

-- Side Tilt:
A quick left hook imbued with some dark magic.

-- Down Tilt:
Tharja performs an axe kick. Where she hit the ground there will be a small burst of dark magic.

-- Up Tilt:
Tharja strikes upward with her tome. One of her higher knockback moves.

-- Dash Attack:
Tharja performs a quick twirling attack imbued with dark magic (you can see skulls in it for a second). This move turns her around.

- Grabs/Throws:

-- Grab:
She grabs her opponent and holds them from behind, with her arm around their neck (like Snake's grab, but seductive).

-- Pummel:
She will kiss her opponent's face. For the sake of this, let's assume she wears some poisonous lipstick. It will do very little damage, but be faster than most pummels.

-- Forward Throw:
She quickly throws her opponent to the ground, brings her leg up for an axe kick and then stomps their face with her heels. (She does wear heels, right?)

-- Upward Throw:
She tosses her opponent upward and then lazily thrusts her hand upward releasing a burst of dark magic that sends them flying.

-- Downward Throw:
She jumps up and slams her opponent to the ground, following up with a hard heeled double kick.

-- Backward Throw:
She will perform a Judo-like throw of the grabbed opponent over herself. Just as they hit the ground a pillar of dark magic appears and sends them flying.

- Aerial Attacks:

-- Neutral Aerial:
Tharja opens her book and reads something, an orb of dark magic is released from her tome. It will then explode outward, hitting on all sides.

-- Forward Aerial:
Tharja will clasp her hands together and create a small ball of dark magic. Poor range, decent stopping power.

-- Backward Aerial:
Tharja kicks behind her with her heel hard and fast. It's a pretty good spike.

-- Downward Aerial:
Tharja brings down her tome hard. A fairly powerful Meteor Smash.

-- Upward Aerial:
Tharja flips upward, delivering a two-hit kick.

Notes:
If I had been working on a Henry moveset I could have thought of some awesome way to include his crows. Too bad.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
One thing I think you need to know about Leif is that in FE4, Leif can use every type of weapon in the game, excluding dark magic. This weapon diversity puts him on similar grounds to Mega Man. So let's go with A-.

Lyndis fails to stand out from Marth and Link imo. C.

No opinion on Tharja.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Every weapon in the game? Now that's pretty interesting. O.o
Though I doubt he'll use this kind of diversity in Smash. He'll likely remain with his sword in his moveset if he's in Smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Looks like no one seemed to be interested in these 3 warriors, that is fine and understandable though, I thought we could have an interesting discussion on them.

As were moving into the next phase of the weeks, third party week, we will be rating characters who aren't created by Nintendo, this includes characters like Professor Layton, Slime, and Pac-Man.

Today we are rating Namco's pizza shaped mascot, Pac-Man. Can his eating moves prove that he is unique enough to go through Sakurai's maze of criteria?

Going to tag @ Smady Smady and @ Pacack Pacack since they know Pac-Man very well. :)

Remember, analyses are recommended, but it is ok to just give out a grade if you wish to do so.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Sure, I'll give this a go.

Pac-Man: B-

Many of his abilities are similar in concept to Sonic's. He can Rev Roll (Sonic's Spin Dash) and Butt Bounce (kind of like Sonic's momentum changes moves when he hits the ground). As I clearly had to emphasize why they may end up akin to Sonic, they aren't all that samey, plenty of room to distinguish them and give Pac a fresh new take. That aside, there's little else where Pac-Man resembles other characters mostly because the way he does things is differentiated by his very simplistic body shape. He's a round, almost totally spherical character that has attached limbs, that means his moves naturally take a more dysfunctional route. For example if you compare a Pac-Man chomp to Wario's, Pac-Man's mouth is so low and at the forward peak of his hurtbox, he barely has to move at all, whereas Wario has to get on the tip of his toes.

What Pac-Man can do is what you'd expect from a character that has such a rich history of games. He can use generic magic abilities he gained in the World games, or Ping-Pong ball like attacks to ricochet off foes, or inspiration from his Arcade game for an esoteric 'chase' special. This is an interesting combination of fairly common archetypes, so I wouldn't say Pac-Man is that unique to be honest. If he were to use the ghosts, that would be another matter entirely, but I think that's not a likely route at all for Sakurai to take as he'd want the ghosts as an Assist Trophy, Stage Hazard, probably something else where they can be hostile to every character. That in mind, he goes around the area where other characters on the tiers have a good built-in playstyle and unique shape or way to execute moves, but lack an inherently innovative fighting style.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
One playstyle I have been thinking about is always eating his pellets when given the chance. Always eat to have the best results Pac-Man has.
Here's my proposed specials for him:

Up-B: Pac-Path: Pac-Man slowly follows a path of Pac-dots that he can use for a temporary while in any direction. The recovery is much more useful here than Pac-Zoom, as it can go farther, but at the cost of having no use for attacking. The Pac-Dots do help him power up his strength a little bit.

Side-B: Pellet Dash: Pac-Man charges up to rev out a quick speed boost that allows Pac-Man to chomp when in contact. a very good KO move and has armor with the move and can be used twice in any direction. When fully charged, he zooms the same distance, but it's much faster to attack and is much more powerful, but it has a very tiny hit-box.

Down-B: Pac-Man charges down to the ground to stun the opponent who is in contact of Pac-Mans waves. Although this can stun people, it can be very small hitbox in cost of it and has only decent KO potential.

Neutral-B: Pac-Dot: Pac-Man eats rows of dots to rev up his strength for only his normal attacks. This can be abused quickly so that always remain in his greatest state.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Pac-Man: B-
Pac is one of the most well known gaming icons, albeit he belongs to older era than Mario or Pikachu. If Pac were to get into Smash, I could see Sakurai doing something similar to what he did with Megaman and basing him off his older games. His Up Special could be something like Pikachu's where, instead, Pac chomps pellet in a line and can than change the angle to keep going. I see him as having various dashing attack moves to simulate his arcade games. I can't see him as having a lot of unique tilts/smashes, but I can see him as having unique specials that make up for it. His Final Smash obviously needs to involve him eating a power pellet, the opponents turning blue and him getting his arcade movement.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Pac-Man: B
Ah, the character that supposedly has "no moveset potential." ..... hahaha.... :glare:
Pac-Man is an extremely iconic video game mascot. So here's some special moves I can think of:
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 : I like your idea for his Up Special.
Up-B: Pac-Path: Pac-Man slowly follows a path of Pac-dots that he can use for a temporary while in any direction. The recovery is much more useful here than Pac-Zoom, as it can go farther, but at the cost of having no use for attacking. The Pac-Dots do help him power up his strength a little bit.
He could also use the hang glider from Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures.
Side Special: Rev-roll, kind of similar to Jigglypuff's but he can turn around while charging. Great knockback.
Down Special: Butt Bounce, this can be done in the air. Similar to Yoshi's but after Pac-Man hits the ground, he bounces back into the air like in Pac-Man World.
Neutral Special: Pac-Man opens and closes his mouth. The player is able to walk around while he does this. While like this, Pac-Man can eat projectiles and items. The SFX from the original Pac-Man play when doing this.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
A hang-glider? That doesn't really define Pac-Man well, and it would fit more with a Pilotwings character.
The rest of the moves you list is quite fine, it simply needs more flavor into it.
But the Neutral Special is quite interesting though.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I can easily see Pac-Man having moves ranging from his different games to the original, to the world games, and even ghostly adventures. With that said he can have a fun move set but it's not going to be anything too new or spectacular. His most likely normal special being his famous chomp has already been done by a few contenders already. His normal moves may be viewed in a way similar to sonic in fact that they come from their past games but come off as generic moves first glance which dose hurt him a bit. He dose have a unique body type with the orb shape with longer limbs inducing hands and feet that differentiate him with characters like kirby, meta, and jiggs. Plus it dose help that his most recent incarnation from ghostly adventures is quite expressive:

Overall I give the Pac a B-

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Pac-Man huh... I honestly haven't much to contribute, but based on reading what's been talked about so far (and my own limited knowledge) I can't see him being higher than a B, probably B-. However, the gimmick of basically spawning and eating pellets sounds interesting.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The pac-dots playstyle is interesting indeed, maybe creating a pac-path for the Pacster using Neutral-B when walking and jumping around the battlefield, leading to many interesting tactics for Pac-Man.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't have an entire moveset available, but I always thought him eating a Power Pellet that spawns a fleeing blue ghost that drops Pac-dots would be pretty interesting. During that chase should any unfortunate foe get in the way and get chomped, their eyes are all that remain, in a helpless state.

Essentially it'd inflict a cloak like status on the victim which momentarily prevents them from attacking(but not maneuvering).

I like that Pac-Man's already in a far better position than people usually make out for him though. B might not sound like much, but judging by past comments you'd think he was D or below.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Interesting idea, that could belong for a Neutral Special. Maybe when Pac-Man pellet chomps the opponent, they return to the location where they were originally were 3 seconds ago just like the ghosts when they are chomped up canon. Now that really caught my interest for Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
With Pac-Man's ridiculous amount of adventures, he's hardly lacking in abilities. Pac-Man could be practically anything, really.

My personal favorite playstyle for Pac-Man would focus almost entirely on stage presence. He would be fairly small and have the best maneuverability in the game (he could switch directions without any lag), but be a tad on the slow side for balance purposes. Pac-Man's attacks would be used to force his opponents to take a certain path just as Pac-Man's movements caused the ghosts to move in predictable patterns in his original arcade game. Possible specials include a cherry bomb for his down-b that would act like a mine (could lay a maximun of 3-4 times), ghosts that move in predefined patterns, pellet projectiles that bounce off of hard surfaces (sounds bland at first, but keep in mind how many directions you could make the thing go), a moving chomp attack that activates super armor and has high knockback at the expense of being slow at activating, and several other abilities from Namco arcade classics including inflating pookas that stay on screen and do damage to anyone who touches them (they would stay longer the more they're inflated), galaxians that fly in unpredictable patterns, galaga flagships that abduct the opponent and take them to another place on the screen, Mappy doors that turn on a forward moving shockwave that pushes the opponent (but which do no damage), a ship, missile, mine, or asteroid from Bosconian, cars from Pole Position or Rally X (he could even ride a car as a reference to Mario Kart Arcade GP), one of the many enemy ships from Xevious, and many, many more that I'm not including do to their relative obscurity.

Keep in mind that this is in no way the only playstyle for Pac-Man that we at the support thread have come up with. It's just my personal favorite.

From an asthetic standpoint is the only place I can really say Pac-Man suffers. He fits in fine with the Nintendo cast, but he's admittedly not a character that stands out at first glance.

I would give Pac-Man a very solid A.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
PAC-MAN
(I am using BluePikmin11's questions)

1. How many diverse options does this character have?
Pac-man has a multitude of items and moves from his many games. There are also elements from Pac-Man that everyone remembers: such as the ghosts, pellets, and berries.

Pac-Man is about movement. I think a moveset incorporating the ability to move in diverse ways is important. Pac-Man is also about power-ups to traverse the maze. A sub-theme of Power-ups can be implemented.

Here are specials and moves to really bring home the abilities and features mentioned above.

Mechanic: Able to turn left or right on a dime without sliding while running.

B Bite: Hold B, release. Pac-Man starts to continuously chomp. In this state you can move him in any of the four cardinal directions and change directions. The longer B is held before release, the more duration Pac-Man has in this state (and the more he can move around). Only goes into a helpless state if the Up direction is used.
Side B Power Pellet: Either uses a slingshot or shoots out of his mouth a Power Pellet. Bounces three times (hitting stage counts as one bounce, opponent counts as two) before losing momentum and stopping (even in the air). If Pac-Man comes in contact with it, he gains a boost of speed and power for a limited time. Opponents can smash the pellet when it is stationary. (Or instead of Pac-Man getting a buff, when he touches the pellet opponents could turn blue and take extra damage and knock-back for a certain time).

Option A) Down B Cherry: Places a Cherry. On press of Down B, Pac-Man will shoot toward the cherry with mouth open (as the crow flies). Hitting an opponent or cherry will cause his mouth to clamp for good K.O potential. Will go into helpless state if knocked out of his charge if performed in air.

Option B) Down B Ghost: A ghost appears behind Pac-Man. The ghost acts as a hit-box and will follow Pac-Man. Causes him to go faster. However, if he turns or rolls backwards, he will collide with the ghost and take damage and knock-back. Down B causes the ghost to disappear.

Up B Pinball Launcher: Pac-Man rolls into a yellow ball and spins, a launcher appears under him. The spring in the launcher pulls back before it hits Pac-Man, launching him. Very limited time to spin the launcher around Pac-Man (as the spring pulls back) to pick a direction to send him.

Aerial Down A Butt Bounce: Can bounce off parts of the stage and enemies.

2. Is their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the Smash cast?
Specials can be very diverse. Standard A moves focused primarily on biting would also be different.

3. Has the concept of the character been done before? If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own?
A character with a combination of bizarre movement and power-ups would be new.

4. Is the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
I do think so.

5. How visually different is the character in terms of body shape and looks?
Unlike the other round characters, Pac-Man has noticeable limbs.

6. Does it fit the character well enough?
Yes, Pac-Man fits.

Rating (Uniqueness): A
Pac-Man's truly bizarre style and onslaught of chomps make him standout in an already bizarre and diverse cast.

FULL MOVESET

PACMAN MOVESET
Pacman is an all-rounder in stats, that relies on bizarre movement, power-ups, and a large mouth to gain an advantage.
Pacman Trait: Pacman is the best character at turning in the other direction when running to reflect his turn-on-a-dime quality in his games. (This is from another moveset, I will post username for credit when I find it)

Specials
B Bite: Hold B, release. Pac-Man starts to continuously chomp. In this state you can move him in any of the four cardinal directions and change directions. The longer B is held before release, the more duration Pac-Man has in this state (and the more he can move around). Only goes into a helpless state if the Up direction is used.

Up B Pinball Launcher: Pac-Man rolls into a yellow ball and spins, a launcher appears under him. The spring in the launcher pulls back before it hits Pac-Man, launching him. Very limited time to spin the launcher around Pac-Man (as the spring pulls back) to pick a direction to send him.

Side B Mega Pellet: Throws a bold-bigger-than-normal dot. It has ricochet properties. Can be angled. Bounces up to three times (hitting a wall or floor or platform counts as one hit; hitting an enemy counts as two hits). On the third bounce the dot begins to run out of momentum then stops.

It flashes. If Pacman touches it, he turns blue and gains a limited speed and attack boost. An opponent can destroy the stationary Mega Pellet with a hit.

Down B Berry: Pacman flips backwards (in air) or skids backwards (on ground) leaving a berry where he was a moment ago. Berry cannot be destroyed, but flickers out of existence after thirty-five seconds. A press of Down B again will have Pacman charge toward the berry (as the crow flies) with mouth open, chomping for good KO potential if he reaches the berry and for slightly less KO potential if he hits an enemy. Goes maximum length of Fox Illusion.
* Up B, Side B, and Down B (if a berry is already laid out as a target) count as a recovery move in the air.

Aerials Moves
Up Aerial: Thrusts his limbs below his body as he launches up with a bite (like a shark shooting up to the surface for a snack).

Forward Aerial: Opens mouth and then closes it. Can be charged like a Smash.

Down Aerial: Butt bounce. Pacman splays his limbs and rockets downwards to bounce off the floor or a character with his rounded posterior. Height of bounce depends on height of fall.

Back Aerial: A spinning donkey kick just like Mario's back aerial. Weaker, but shifts Pac-Man's momentum in that direction.

Neutral Aerial: Spins in a circle while chomping like a maniac. Damage-racker.

Ground Moves
A: Throws a straight punch.
AA: Throws a straight punch, then another with his other arm while doing his trademark wink.

Toward A: With one arm above his body and the other arm slightly below, Pacman claps his hands together (so it looks like crocodile jaws).

Crouch: Hunkers down
Toward A: Does a somersault forward, hitting opponents up with stun

Up A: Tucks in limbs and bounces like a ball. A can be pressed to keep bouncing.

Running A: Leaps in air in a horizontal position (as if laying on his side) and does a strong bite

Smashes
Smash Forward: Leans one leg back as if getting ready to sprint. Springs forward with a bite.

Down Smash: Lays on his side and spins in a circle while kicking his legs as if running.

Up Smash: Squats with legs bent outwards at the knees and quickly propels himself to the tips of his shoes as he bites. If close enough to his knees as he rises, opponents in front or behind him can be lifted into the attack.

Throws:
Reaches out with arms, grabs enemy and then stuffs inside his mouth. A random points-score number flashes above his head as a shout-out to his arcade games.
A: Chews

Forward A, Back A, Up A: Shoots opponent out of his mouth in the selected direction. A line of dots appear in the enemy's wake. If the enemy goes far enough, a Mega-pellet will appear at the end. Can be touched for a brief boost in stats just like with his B move.

Down A: Eyes turn to X's and Pacman pukes out enemy onto their back like Snake's down throw.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
"A living being whose origin and motive are wrapped in mystery. It is an omnivorous life form that consumes anything in its path. No matter what happens, its smile never leaves its face." - Tekken X Street Fighter.

Pacman should be all about eat, nothing else.

Using the pac-dots or fruits as "power ups" is just boring in my opinion, and ghosts as part of the moveset is the worst thing that could ever happen to the character, i mean come on...

The pac-path is one of the greates ideas for the character i have ever saw btw, so YES pls.

Neutral B: Pac-Bite.
Pac eats the characters body, completely, leaving just two floating and defenseless eyes that can be punished and easily knock off the stage at high percentages. The eyes, like i said, float, and you can control their movement for some seconds until the body regenerates. This leaves ground for some interesting mindgames and will be really funny to see each version of the characters eyes floating around :gawmelee:

FInal Smash. Super Pacman.
He eats a super dot and transforms into 8bit Giant Pac-Man, everybody gets blue and let the fun begins.

...nothing else, i cant think in any other actual special for the character xD but i imagine something like DK gameplay style and some of his normal moves for some reason :dkmelee: also Mega Buster's shoots are to Megaman what bites are to Pac-Man, so, there you go

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I really love the idea of the pinball Bowserlick, much more refreshing than the Pac-Path I made. O.o
Especially the ghost move, it adds fresh hilarity in the mix.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
As long as doesn't make any sounds that sound like his Ghostly Adventures voice
Any.
At All.