• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tingle for SSB4 Thread - Assist Trophy Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm kinda scared, now that I look back at the Direct and see how Horror Kid has turned out.
What reason would Sakurai have to not let him drop the moon?
Because Great Bay might return and Tingle would then go back being a Stage Hazard.

I know there is Alfonzo who might be in Charge as an Stage Element there, but still...
That, or dropping the Moon down might seem a little too interruptive as a gameplay mechanic. Hell, in that one Balloon Fight stage, it's only possible to KO people from above or below. It'd be cool (and I'm annoyed that Skull Kid is simply a repeat of Palkia's power), but from a gameplay perspective I can certainly see how it could be a bit much.

I'm not concerned about Great Bay returning anyway. The general consensus is that people would want to see Temple or Hyrule Castle return, both being more iconic to the Zelda series and Smash Bros. in general than a stage that references one game only in the series.

Speaking Balloon Fight, considering how Tingle had his own Balloon Fight game, what if the reason we had a Balloon Fight series icon on the Balloon Fight stage is because Tingle is a Balloon Fight rep? :troll:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm kinda scared, now that I look back at the Direct and see how Horror Kid has turned out.
What reason would Sakurai have to not let him drop the moon?
Because Great Bay might return and Tingle would then go back being a Stage Hazard.

I know there is Alfonzo who might be in Charge as an Stage Element there, but still...
Ooooh, that's something I hadn't really considered in the midst of my glee that Tingle wasn't disconfirmed. YOU'VE GOT TO KEEP BELIEVING! CLAP YOUR HANDS IF YOU BELIEVE IN (wannabe) FAIRIES!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't think there's really any other logical choice. It's either Tingle or nobody.
I think that with the separation of Zelda and Sheik, this boost Tetra chances (not bound to Toon Zelda anymore). But it's no one else than those two.

I think two regular links are enough. Plus, Toon Link is a Young Link. Don't get me wrong, I love the retro design, but I don't think it's good to have him.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have recently adopted a new Zelda head-canon:
Tingle is secretly a time travelling, timeline hopping fairy who puts all the rupees in tall grass.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'd love him but he hasn't been featured (outside of small easter eggs) in recent Zeldas not counting Remakes. His Balloon move is also already apparently taken by the Villager now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I do factor remakes into the chances of a character. I believe it was the only reason Sheik survived despite being separated from Zelda (OOT3D)

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I think the main reason Shiek survived was she was already in the game. Honestly if they made Smash Bros this year instead of 1999 I doubt she'd make it in the roster. She was only in one game.

hjihjihjihji

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3014-8369
Impa doesn't make sense now that Shiek is completely separate from Zelda. If she was going to be included I would imagine they would rework Shieks moveset for her and cut Shiek. Two ninja Shiekah is too many. I can't see Toon Zelda either as Zelda, Shiek and Toon Zelda would mean 3 iterations of the same character and the removal of transformations means a Toon Zelda/Tetra has less going for it now. Young Link is represented by Toon Link (even look at his recolours in Brawl) so isn't a contender either. Ghirahim is a popular character but his appearance in Skyward Sword is likely his one and only so is more likely to make assist trophy status alongside Skull Kid and Midna.

If Zelda gets a newcomer it is going to be between Tingle and Vaati. With Tingle well in the lead.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I've been a strong supporter of Tingle since back in the pre-Brawl era, and to be sure, that support has remained (my signature is still of the one that I had used shortly after becoming a member of these forums). I've never completely understood the hate-base that has come to be associated with Tingle here in the west (particularly by people in the states), mostly because it's more-or-less just a gripe that people seem to have with his appearance, and not his character (which I personally find to be entertaining and unique). . . Anyways, with Tingle's Assist Trophy appearance from Brawl being currently absent from SSB4, his chances of being promoted to a playable character are as of yet, up in the air. Realistic competition I see from this point onward would be either Vaati or Ghirahim (Skyward Sword Impa appealed to me, but I don't see it happening with Sheik's return). I won't go into a debate as to which is more likely and whatever, as I feel that all of the points have been covered by this time. While this is predominately a thread for support of the character Tingle, I will say that if another possible Zelda representative (Vaati, Ghirahim, etc.) were to feature as playable aside from Tingle, I would still find myself content as I ultimately would just like to see an additional representative character from the Legend of Zelda series.

Ah. . . With all of that out of the way, I do hope that Tingle will also make a return appearance in the upcoming Legend of Zelda game for the Wii-U, and not something akin to Twilight Princess's Purlo. The plush cameo in Skyward Sword was a little something, but I do believe it is now about that time for the return of the cartographer as a N.P.C.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa doesn't make sense now that Shiek is completely separate from Zelda. If she was going to be included I would imagine they would rework Shieks moveset for her and cut Shiek. Two ninja Shiekah is too many. I can't see Toon Zelda either as Zelda, Shiek and Toon Zelda would mean 3 iterations of the same character and the removal of transformations means a Toon Zelda/Tetra has less going for it now. Young Link is represented by Toon Link (even look at his recolours in Brawl) so isn't a contender either. Ghirahim is a popular character but his appearance in Skyward Sword is likely his one and only so is more likely to make assist trophy status alongside Skull Kid and Midna.

If Zelda gets a newcomer it is going to be between Tingle and Vaati. With Tingle well in the lead.
You are truely the dark-side of me aren't you?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Like some other people said, Tinglecould be a representative of his own series. That's becoming a great possibility.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
As my brand new signature suggests I support Tingle's inclusion too.
The idea of defeating Ganondorf or Link with Tingle is so appealing to me and well, just plain funny.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I do factor remakes into the chances of a character. I believe it was the only reason Sheik survived despite being separated from Zelda (OOT3D)
Sheik survived thanks to her appearances in Melee and Brawl. They're arguably a more significant part of her history than OOT at this point.

Like some other people said, Tinglecould be a representative of his own series. That's becoming a great possibility.
I'm inclined to think this as well, since Sheik and Zelda seperated. Assuming Ganondorf and Jigglypuff, the big three series are now all at five characters. Mario and Pokemon have both had newcomers, whereas we haven't seen anyone new from TLOZ yet. Tingle as a representative of his own series would be a good way to introduce a new Zelda character while maintaining the balance of series.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Sheik survived thanks to her appearances in Melee and Brawl. They're arguably a more significant part of her history than OOT at this point.

I'm inclined to think this as well, since Sheik and Zelda seperated. Assuming Ganondorf and Jigglypuff, the big three series are now all at five characters. Mario and Pokemon have both had newcomers, whereas we haven't seen anyone new from TLOZ yet. Tingle as a representative of his own series would be a good way to introduce a new Zelda character while maintaining the balance of series.
I don't think the "series balance" thing is as important as people think. Plus, it really depends on how you count. Pokemon will in all likelihood have six characters (just as it did in Brawl). Mario supposedly only has five, but when you factor in his spin-offs, we currently have nine "Mario" characters assuming Wario comes back, and he will. If we get K. Rool or Dixie, that's ten. Given that's it's Nintendo's third biggest series, I think it's perfectly rational to think we could get a new Zelda character, and as the most charismatic NPC in the Zelda series, not to mention the star of his own games, Tingle is the man for the job. I don't consider any other Zelda character to even be in the same league.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't think the "series balance" thing is as important as people think. Plus, it really depends on how you count. Pokemon will in all likelihood have six characters (just as it did in Brawl). Mario supposedly only has five, but when you factor in his spin-offs, we currently have nine "Mario" characters assuming Wario comes back, and he will. If we get K. Rool or Dixie, that's ten. Given that's it's Nintendo's third biggest series, I think it's perfectly rational to think we could get a new Zelda character, and as the most charismatic NPC in the Zelda series, not to mention the star of his own games, Tingle is the man for the job. I don't consider any other Zelda character to even be in the same league.
I'm not sure exactly what to think on this since the transformation character split. Back in Brawl, while the characters themselves differed in quantity, the big three series were 'balanced' in the number of physical roster slots they took up (I've never included DK, Wario or Yoshi as part of the 'Mario' series, for the record. As far as SSB is concerned, different emblem = different series). I do think this visual balance is important on some level, and it would surprise me to see any series physically overshadow Mario in this regard - including Pokemon.

On the other hand, Mario and Pokemon have both recieved one newcomer each. It would be silly to leave out LoZ in this just for the sake of maintaining a visual balance on the character select screen. Zelda hasn't really had a proper newcomer since Melee if you consider Toon Link as an effective redesign of Young Link. That's why I think Tingle as a representative of his own series would be a good workaround; a new Zelda character is added just like with Mario and Pokemon, LoZ becomes the second series with "spinoff series", and nobody outshines Nintendo's main mascot series on the roster just like in the last three Smash Bros games.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm not sure exactly what to think on this since the transformation character split. Back in Brawl, while the characters themselves differed in quantity, the big three series were 'balanced' in the number of physical roster slots they took up (I've never included DK, Wario or Yoshi as part of the 'Mario' series, for the record. As far as SSB is concerned, different emblem = different series). I do think this visual balance is important on some level, and it would surprise me to see any series physically overshadow Mario in this regard - including Pokemon.

On the other hand, Mario and Pokemon have both recieved one newcomer each. It would be silly to leave out LoZ in this just for the sake of maintaining a visual balance on the character select screen. Zelda hasn't really had a proper newcomer since Melee if you consider Toon Link as an effective redesign of Young Link. That's why I think Tingle as a representative of his own series would be a good workaround; a new Zelda character is added just like with Mario and Pokemon, LoZ becomes the second series with "spinoff series", and nobody outshines Nintendo's main mascot series on the roster just like in the last three Smash Bros games.
There's also the often forgotten, if unlikely possibility that Mario could get a secret newcomer who we haven't seen yet. I guess the reason I can't see Tingle representing his own series is because his games just haven't made the impact that Wario's have. I love Rosy Rupeeland, but most people outside of Japan haven't even played it. I guess I could see it happening though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well as long as you agree classic Ganon should be 2nd priority, maybe 3rd below Zelda. I'm curious to why you think Tingle should be higher than Vaati, we could go to the tingle thread to talk about that if you'd like.
If I were to do my own list, it would be this:

1. Link: Protagonist, triforce holder.
2. Ganon: Main Antagonist, triforce holder.
3. Zelda: Deuteragonist, titular Character, and triforce holder.
4. Impa: Tritagonist, Zelda's aid, Sage, and fourth most important and recurring main character. (Only character aside from the main three to get a section in the Hyrule Historia.)
5. Ganondorf: Less prominent humanoid form of Main Antagonist. Also a triforce holder.
6. Tingle: Most popular and important minor character, protagonist of a Spin-off series, and representation of the less serious, wacky part of Zelda.
7. Vaati: Second most recurring antagonist.
8. Second Link: Alternate form of the protagonist, representation of reincarnation in the Zelda timeline. Technically also a triforce holder.
9. Alternate form of the deuteragonist (Tetra/Sheik): Fairly important, lacks a consistent form. Also technically a triforce holder.
10. Ghirahim: Most popular antagonist to appear in only a single title. Has a cult following and technically sets the Zelda timeline into motion.
11. Skull Kid: Second most popular antagonist to appear in only a single title.
12. Second Impa: Alternate form of tritagonist.
13. Less important antagonists to appear in only a single title, unimportant and/or unpopular minor characters, third Link, etc.

Tingle is notably higher. I also put Impa above Ganondorf due to her being the fourth most important unique character in the Zelda universe. Ganondorf would be above her if he was a separate being from Ganon. There are various other additions/changes, but those are the most notable.

In my opinion, you were underestimating Tingle due to personal bias. He is much more important than you're giving him credit for.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
If I were to do my own list, it would be this:

1. Link: Protagonist, triforce holder.
2. Ganon: Main Antagonist, triforce holder.
3. Zelda: Deuteragonist, titular Character, and triforce holder.
4. Impa: Tritagonist, Zelda's aid, Sage, and fourth most important and recurring main character. (Only character aside from the main three to get a section in the Hyrule Historia.)
5. Ganondorf: Less prominent humanoid form of Main Antagonist. Also a triforce holder.
6. Tingle: Most popular and important minor character, protagonist of a Spin-off series, and representation of the less serious, wacky part of Zelda.
7. Vaati: Second most recurring antagonist.
8. Second Link: Alternate form of the protagonist, representation of reincarnation in the Zelda timeline. Technically also a triforce holder.
9. Alternate form of the deuteragonist (Tetra/Sheik): Fairly important, lacks a consistent form. Also technically a triforce holder.
10. Ghirahim: Most popular antagonist to appear in only a single title. Has a cult following and technically sets the Zelda timeline into motion.
11. Skull Kid: Second most popular antagonist to appear in only a single title.
12. Second Impa: Alternate form of tritagonist.
13. Less important antagonists to appear in only a single title, unimportant and/or unpopular minor characters, third Link, etc.

Tingle is notably higher. I also put Impa above Ganondorf due to her being the fourth most important unique character in the Zelda universe. Ganondorf would be above her if he was a separate being from Ganon. There are various other additions/changes, but those are the most notable.

In my opinion, you were underestimating Tingle due to personal bias. He is much more important than you're giving him credit for.
I understand that he has his own game, but that doesn't make him the most popular minor character. I do agree that he is a good representation of the wacky side of LoZ though. I have him lower on importance because he is not a fighter in LoZ. He is a map maker. He is comic relief. He is like a Luigi if Luigi were not related to Mario, if he was only in Paper Mario, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, etc and in Luigi's Mansion (if Mario and Bowser were not in the game). Sure he has some popularity, but in the Zelda series his role is ultimately a very minor one. Characters like Vaati, on the other hand play a huge role to the timeline of Zelda and the overarching plot. They do things like resurrect the king of evil and try to kill the protagonist. Vaati even "kills" Zelda by turning her to stone. Skull Kid should be seen as a higher priority character even because he has been in several games and was the main villain of a very popular one. Tingle is just not important enough.

In Smash it really comes down to Nintendo's all-stars and Tingle is just not one of them. Bias aside, he is just a side character.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I understand that he has his own game, but that doesn't make him the most popular minor character. I do agree that he is a good representation of the wacky side of LoZ though. I have him lower on importance because he is not a fighter in LoZ. He is a map maker. He is comic relief. He is like a Luigi if Luigi were not related to Mario, if he was only in Paper Mario, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, etc and in Luigi's Mansion (if Mario and Bowser were not in the game). Sure he has some popularity, but in the Zelda series his role is ultimately a very minor one. Characters like Vaati, on the other hand play a huge role to the timeline of Zelda and the overarching plot. They do things like resurrect the king of evil and try to kill the protagonist. Vaati even "kills" Zelda by turning her to stone. Skull Kid should be seen as a higher priority character even because he has been in several games and was the main villain of a very popular one. Tingle is just not important enough.

In Smash it really comes down to Nintendo's all-stars and Tingle is just not one of them. Bias aside, he is just a side character.
A: When a minor character gets his own spin-off games, that's a good indication that he's popular. Probably even the most popular of the minor characters.
B: Tingle does indeed fight in his own games. And he kinda sorta throws bombs and whatnot anyways in Wind Waker with the Tingle tuner anyways, so he's not completely inept in the ways of fighting.
C: Characters like Vaati and Skull Kid are less important since an antagonistic role has already been filled. Tingle is the only character that represents the wacky aspect of the game, which I argue puts him above any characters that represent one part of a series for a second or third time. It's more important to represent that wacky part of the series with Tingle than it is to re-represent the other roles with other characters.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
A: When a minor character gets his own spin-off games, that's a good indication that he's popular. Probably even the most popular of the minor characters.
B: Tingle does indeed fight in his own games. And he kinda sorta throws bombs and whatnot anyways in Wind Waker with the Tingle tuner anyways, so he's not completely inept in the ways of fighting.
C: Characters like Vaati and Skull Kid are less important since an antagonistic role has already been filled. Tingle is the only character that represents the wacky aspect of the game, which I argue puts him above any characters that represent one part of a series for a second or third time. It's more important to represent that wacky part of the series with Tingle than it is to re-represent the other roles with other characters.
A: It shows that the LoZ creates like him enough to give him a game, it doesn't mean he's the most popular.
B: I know that he fights in his game, but not in LoZ which is the series we are trying to have him represent.
C: There is no reason why the antagonistic position is restricted to a single character. If it is important enough it there can be multiple antagonists. I believe the same thing fo Bowser Jr and Dark Samus + Ridley

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
A: It shows that the LoZ creates like him enough to give him a game, it doesn't mean he's the most popular.
It's been stated that he's incredibly popular in Japan by Aonuma and others.
B: I know that he fights in his game, but not in LoZ which is the series we are trying to have him represent.
Luigi uses his poltergust despite it being from a spin-off Mario game. There's precedent.
C: There is no reason why the antagonistic position is restricted to a single character. If it is important enough it there can be multiple antagonists. I believe the same thing fo Bowser Jr and Dark Samus + Ridley
Which is why I put Ganondorf above Tingle. He's the second antagonist. There's no need for there to be three when there's another aspect to the series that hasn't been represented yet.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

I don't know where people get this idea that Tingle isn't that important to the Zelda series or has only ever played minor roles. He played a very minor role in Oracle of Ages, but he's a fairly prominent NPC who Link has multiple interactions with in Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap, and Four Swords Adventures, and has a HUGE role in Wind Waker. He has an entire sidequest dedicated him, he has his own island, he serves as the co-op partner in the 2 player gameboy link up mode, and most of the second half of the game's main quest revolves around buying maps from him. He has also made cameos in Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. He's the only character in the entire series who gets this "easter egg" kind of recognition even when he's not in the game. Concept art suggests that he was planned to play a prominent role in both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks at one point as well, but was probably scrapped when Nintendo got the impression that he is universally despised in the West. He's not. People started hating Tingle because they didn't like the Triforce quest in the Wind Waker, and aimed the blame towards him. Then more people came to consider him a stupid character because outlets like IGN said so. He's steadily gained more fans here over time, and popular opinion in one part of the world doesn't detract from his importance. Maybe his actions don't significantly impact the plot, but interacting with him is a major part of the games that he's in. If you consider everyone but Link, Zelda, and Ganon to be minor characters, maybe he's not the most popular, but Midna, Skull Kid, Vaati, Ghirahim are major characters within their games. When you consider Tingle against other recurring NPCs, like Dampe, Beedle, the Happy Mask Salesman, etc... he is clearly the most popular.

And it is significant that he has his own game, because that's an honor no other character in the entire series has been given. Not to mention the fact that in Japan, both of his games were critically and commercially well received. There was loads of merchandise released in conjunction with them, including a DSiWare app. Some store owners dressed up as Tingle to promote the game. He may not be quite as popular there now, simply because he hasn't shown up for five years, but in Japan, Tingle is a big deal. And without a doubt, Tingle is the fourth most prominent character in Zelda. Nintendo has made a point of giving him attention over countless others. Hell, when there was only one Zelda Assist Trophy in Brawl, who was it? Tingle is also an icon. You have to be pretty well versed in Zelda lore to know who Vaati or Midna or Impa are, but most gamers are at least familiar with Tingle. Not everybody loves him, but a lot of people do. Maybe he's just a side character, but he's been given more characterization and attention than some of the main characters. I would argue that he is absolutely a Nintendo All-Star, at least moreso than any of the other Zelda characters that people are requesting. If you need proof of this, look at the fact that he has already shown up in Smash Bros twice as an NPC. Of all the numerous Zelda characters who could be given a cameo in Melee or an Assist Trophy in Brawl, it was him. He is the face of Zelda's wide array of wacky and wonderful NPC's, a major part of what makes those games great, and as a representative of that side of the games, he is important.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
If Tingle is in (Which I support) I hope he has his windwaker art-style.

Here's some moves I think would work for him.

B - Rupee Pull - Pulls a green rupee out, it breaks pretty quickly and has no damage buffs. If you have a rupee out already, this upgrades it to the next level. (Green -> Red -> Blue) Red has a 5% damage increase and blue has a 10% increase.

Rupees break over time, cracking at 50% and cracking majorly at 85%, with the final, shattering-hit inflicting less knockback and more damage and hitstun than normal.

Forward B - Rupee Toss - Toss your current rupee, it will break if it is cracked majorly regardless of collision (causing a small explosion)

Up B - Balloon Ride - Pulls a different balloon for each level of rupee (G->R->B), balloons explode and damage/stun enemies if popped, you can rise faster if you drop your rupee (unloading weight) Can be used for recovery mix-ups

Down B - Map Maker - Pulls out a map that covers him as a sort of shield, it disintegrates after one hit, but causes good stun when hit with a physical attack

Most of tingles attack whiff altogether if he has no rupee out, with only a few headbutt attacks. I could draw up a full moveset if anyone's interested.

He'd be a character that is very much based on bait-punish and timing.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I don't know where people get this idea that Tingle isn't that important to the Zelda series or has only ever played minor roles. He played a very minor role in Oracle of Ages, but he's a fairly prominent NPC who Link has multiple interactions with in Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap, and Four Swords Adventures, and has a HUGE role in Wind Waker. He has an entire sidequest dedicated him, he has his own island, he serves as the co-op partner in the 2 player gameboy link up mode, and most of the second half of the game's main quest revolves around buying maps from him. He has also made cameos in Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. He's the only character in the entire series who gets this "easter egg" kind of recognition even when he's not in the game. Concept art suggests that he was planned to play a prominent role in both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks at one point as well, but was probably scrapped when Nintendo got the impression that he is universally despised in the West. He's not. People started hating Tingle because they didn't like the Triforce quest in the Wind Waker, and aimed the blame towards him. Then more people came to consider him a stupid character because outlets like IGN said so. He's steadily gained more fans here over time, and popular opinion in one part of the world doesn't detract from his importance. Maybe his actions don't significantly impact the plot, but interacting with him is a major part of the games that he's in. If you consider everyone but Link, Zelda, and Ganon to be minor characters, maybe he's not the most popular, but Midna, Skull Kid, Vaati, Ghirahim are major characters within their games. When you consider Tingle against other recurring NPCs, like Dampe, Beedle, the Happy Mask Salesman, etc... he is clearly the most popular.
It's not that he isn't important to the series, it's that he's not that important to the plot of the series especially when you are comparing him to major reoccurring antagonists. Having a side quest dedicated to him doesn't make him super special either. Kafei and Anju have a large side quest in MM, though they can't compare to the amount of Tingle appearances in LoZ, its just a reference. It's like I've been saying Tingle isn't important enough to the main story to get into a game like Smash. Side quests and easter eggs and other bonuses are cool and all that, but with that we are just looking at the funky details of the LoZ games. We can't add in every popular character from every franchise because there are relevant to parts of a series. Its the same thing with toad. Its the same reason why I don't believe Jigglypuff deserved a spot in smash.

I personally liked the triforce quest in WW and that isn't the reason why I dislike Tingle. I also don't follow IGN.

Yeah Tingle is the most popular NPC, but he's isn't as important as NPCs like the Happy Mask Salesman who is the reason for MM. Honestly popularity shouldn't have anything to do with it. Smash should be about representing the All-Stars from series. Zelda has enough with the three triforce holders. After that the most important is Impa. LoZ doesn't really need anymore smash rep than that. I would love to see Vaati, but I am still iffy on even him because he is only kind of important.

Link, Zelda, Ganon, Impa, Ganondorf should be the reps. If for some reason Smash is going to give Mario, Pokemon, LoZ 7+ reps, sure I wouldn't hate having Tingle in. Do I think he deserves a spot though? No.

And it is significant that he has his own game, because that's an honor no other character in the entire series has been given. Not to mention the fact that in Japan, both of his games were critically and commercially well received. There was loads of merchandise released in conjunction with them, including a DSiWare app. Some store owners dressed up as Tingle to promote the game. He may not be quite as popular there now, simply because he hasn't shown up for five years, but in Japan, Tingle is a big deal. And without a doubt, Tingle is the fourth most prominent character in Zelda. Nintendo has made a point of giving him attention over countless others. Hell, when there was only one Zelda Assist Trophy in Brawl, who was it? Tingle is also an icon. You have to be pretty well versed in Zelda lore to know who Vaati or Midna or Impa are, but most gamers are at least familiar with Tingle. Not everybody loves him, but a lot of people do. Maybe he's just a side character, but he's been given more characterization and attention than some of the main characters. I would argue that he is absolutely a Nintendo All-Star, at least moreso than any of the other Zelda characters that people are requesting. If you need proof of this, look at the fact that he has already shown up in Smash Bros twice as an NPC. Of all the numerous Zelda characters who could be given a cameo in Melee or an Assist Trophy in Brawl, it was him. He is the face of Zelda's wide array of wacky and wonderful NPC's, a major part of what makes those games great, and as a representative of that side of the games, he is important.
He has his own game. Good for him. Good for his fanbase. This shouldn't add to his significance in the LoZ franchise. If Yoshi and Wario are their own reps from their own games, let Tingle audition as an all-star for his own game. I still don't think he'd get into smash that way. His game didn't even get into the U.S., though I'm not sure the reason. Regardless that can't be a good thing. It certainly says something to me.

Tingle is not a LoZ icon. That is absurd. The triforce is the icon. After that it is Link. I don't see how you can argue that Tingle is an icon when he hasn't even ever been on a front cover of a Zelda game. He wasn't even on the remade cover of WW and he is supposedly very important to that game.

He is not more important than Ganon or Impa who are being requested for smash.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Eee...yikes. I've never came to a thread (and only looked at one page) and found SO MANY things I strongly disagree with... ack.
I can't.... respond.

Uhh... I'm feeling faint. Just sentence after sentence... how can you think that...

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Tingle is not a LoZ icon. That is absurd. The triforce is the icon. After that it is Link. I don't see how you can argue that Tingle is an icon when he hasn't even ever been on a front cover of a Zelda game. He wasn't even on the remade cover of WW and he is supposedly very important to that game.
You kinda seemed to ignore a lot of what I said, but this in particular caught my eye as being kind of silly. Why in the world is your criteria for what makes an "icon" that narrow? A character can be iconic without being a designated promotional poster boy or appearing on the box of a game. Those things have little to do with what makes a character iconic. Tingle is iconic because he is known internationally and evokes strong feelings in people who recognize him from the games. He's a controversial character, but that's part of why he's so interesting and well-known. Missingno is iconic despite being a programming glitch, why does Tingle need to appear on boxart to be considered an icon?

Eee...yikes. I've never came to a thread (and only looked at one page) and found SO MANY things I strongly disagree with... ack.
I can't.... respond.

Uhh... I'm feeling faint. Just sentence after sentence... how can you think that...
This page of the thread has been kinda been much more contentious than usual. I'm guessing from your avatar that you're a Vaati fan. If it makes you feel better, I think he has a better claim than pretty much everyone else besides Tingle.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly want Ganon before Tingle, but Tingle certainly has merit. He was actually my most supported character prior to wondering why the hell Ganon isn't playable.

Speculator

Smash Ace
He has his own game. Good for him. Good for his fanbase. This shouldn't add to his significance in the LoZ franchise.
It absolutely does, though. It means he's the only LoZ character other than Link to ever be cast in the role of main protagonist. That's a huge deal, especially in terms of SSB. A character's significance isn't determined by their importance 'to the main story'. That sounds to me like a limitation designed specifically to exclude Tingle and include Impa - a character with considerably fewer appearances than Tingle, little screen time in most of the games she does appear in, no spin-off series and (seeing as Sheik is returning) much less to bring to SSB. A character's significance should encompass the series as a whole, in which case Tingle far outclasses any other potential newcomer.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You kinda seemed to ignore a lot of what I said, but this in particular caught my eye as being kind of silly. Why in the world is your criteria for what makes an "icon" that narrow? A character can be iconic without being a designated promotional poster boy or appearing on the box of a game. Those things have little to do with what makes a character iconic. Tingle is iconic because he is known internationally and evokes strong feelings in people who recognize him from the games. He's a controversial character, but that's part of why he's so interesting and well-known. Missingno is iconic despite being a programming glitch, why does Tingle need to appear on boxart to be considered an icon?

This page of the thread has been kinda been much more contentious than usual. I'm guessing from your avatar that you're a Vaati fan. If it makes you feel better, I think he has a better claim than pretty much everyone else besides Tingle.
I'm just saying, if a character were iconic to a series that character should at the very least be on 1 of 6+ game covers. Clearly the game developers do not see him as iconic enough or they would have put him at least on the WW remade cover where all the important characters are shown.

It absolutely does, though. It means he's the only LoZ character other than Link to ever be cast in the role of main protagonist. That's a huge deal, especially in terms of SSB. A character's significance isn't determined by their importance 'to the main story'. That sounds to me like a limitation designed specifically to exclude Tingle and include Impa - a character with considerably fewer appearances than Tingle, little screen time in most of the games she does appear in, no spin-off series and (seeing as Sheik is returning) much less to bring to SSB. A character's significance should encompass the series as a whole, in which case Tingle far outclasses any other potential newcomer.
By this logic we should get Paper Luigi to represent the Paper Mario franchise because he has a large role in the games, but a small role in the story (but still a much larger one than Tingle).

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
By this logic we should get Paper Luigi to represent the Paper Mario franchise because he has a large role in the games, but a small role in the story (but still a much larger one than Tingle).
Paper Luigi does not have a large role in the game. At all. In fact, I have no idea where you are getting this from. Also, Tingle as an extremely significant role in the story of WW, and minor roles in other games. Paper Luigi is amusing to talk to, but has no practical function.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Paper Luigi does not have a large role in the game. At all. In fact, I have no idea where you are getting this from. Also, Tingle as an extremely significant role in the story of WW, and minor roles in other games. Paper Luigi is amusing to talk to, but has no practical function.
Your kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom