• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman was an icon just as much as Earthworm Jim and Sonic were.
Ehhh, I really wouldn't call Earthworm Jim an "icon." Bomberman is an icon, but he's not at Sonic's level. Similarly, nobody, except maybe Mario, is at Pacman's level. (although I suppose by that logic, we can only have a game considering

Again, I really don't mind Snake comming back, but I'd personally have Bomberman more IMO. If Konami can add 2 reps though.... Then add both, please.
It's nice to know you wouldn't mind Snake coming back! :happysheep:
But... it doesn't really inspire confidence when you say "but I'd rather have Bomberman over him." :sadsheep:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Sorry if I somewhat disappointed you with that... I just think having 4 gaming icons deserves another one who I think would fit the "cartoony" requirements and all. Plus Hudsons relationship with Nintendo before they were killed by Konamisxgfsb- ....sorry.

Just rather a personal preference, But I wouldn't mind him back. If he gets in, cool. I'm just saying if I HAD to choose between the two, I'd have to say Bomberman honestly. Again, Just me.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Honestly, Snake pretty much covers what Bomberman could provide and then-some. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bomberman games (especially 64), but there isn't a whole lot about him aside from dropping bombs, which Snake covers in spades, that really stands out and provides something not yet seen in Smash Bros while simultaneously capturing the essence of his character without some heavy creative liberties. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think he'd be better as an Assist Trophy.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Earthworm Jim's status as an icon is debatable. To his credit, he was one of the few that survived the mascot craze without a bad rep(unlike say, Bubsy), even if his N64 game was subpar. I'm not fond of Bomberman myself but I don't hold any ill will towards his fans(Bomberfans?).

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Honestly, Snake pretty much covers what Bomberman could provide and then-some. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bomberman games (especially 64), but there isn't a whole lot about him aside from dropping bombs, which Snake covers in spades, that really stands out and provides something not yet seen in Smash Bros while simultaneously capturing the essence of his character without some heavy creative liberties. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think he'd be better as an Assist Trophy.
I would have snake over bomber man, but bomber man is extremly close, have you seen super smash flash 2? Bomber man played amazing in that game and he's so much fun

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Kojima said Sakurai never approached him about using Snake in 4. He then said, during the interview, something like "Sakurai, please use Snake."
FreezeGuy64 thinks that'd odd because Kojima asking was what got Snake in Smash in the first place.
Konami is a problem because they're a wild card and seem to have a grudge against Kojima. Simultaneously, they're in harsh economic straits, so they need money.
So Snake may or may not have ever been planned to be in Smash 4. In any case, Sakurai never asked Kojima about it. This could mean negotiations with Konami failed, so no point in asking Kojima. It could also mean Sakurai simply never thought about it, because why wouldn't he ask his pal first?

Being a Snake supporter is full of so many confusions. Wolf fans have it easy.

@ Oasis Dealer Oasis Dealer : "Apparently Konami was thinking of porting MGS2 to the 3DS along with MGS3. What ever happened to that idea, I'm not sure. Along with that, having MGSV on the NX would be fantastic and I hope that that might happen."

I am quietly sobbing now because that would have been beautiful. I actually really like using the touch screen to control the menu and look at the map and stuff. It feels really natural and, personally, I think it's more organized than how I've seen the menu look in the HD collection.
I'm sure they might try and ask them again, since Sakurai said that DLC characters will be based on community services and since Snake being a highly requested character there might be some possibilities.

Also MGSV on the NX?! will i'm waiting to see

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Snake's been sitting in the top 3 of most polls about fan ballot votes, I'm sure they've taken notice of this and, if they're smart, will capitalize on it. Hopefully, talking with Konami will be fruitful and we will get back Snake.

As for Bomberman, I have not played Smash Flash 2, the inclusion of the anime characters turned away my interest. I guess any character can be unique, but I feel there needs to be something more now since Smash Bros is full of characters that provide nothing seen before, and often since, that really capture the feel of their in-game selves and/or world.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm sure they've taken notice of this and, if they're smart, will capitalize on it.
I'd watch my wording there; we've had many "smart opportunities" passed up on in the past when it comes to character inclusion, that and we don't know what they have planned, so our idea of a dumb decision could very well be smart to them.

Just saying.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd watch my wording there; we've had many "smart opportunities" passed up on in the past when it comes to character inclusion, that and we don't know what they have planned, so our idea of a dumb decision could very well be smart to them.

Just saying.
Understood. What I considered a "smart" choice is one that has the best economic advantage to them, in which I consider something that has a very high demand/guaranteed sale coupled with shorter development time and low cost to make to be in their best interest.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So how many of us are going to vote on this new poll? I know I am. Also, should I buy the Ryu DLC? I typically play defensive characters, but Ryu seems interesting.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Apparently (not sure if true?) the reason Kojima asked Sakurai to put Snake in is because Kojima's son loved Smash and said "why aren't there any characters you made there?"

If this is true, this is adorable. Not sure what impact it may have on Snake. I mean, Kojima did say something like "Sakurai, if you're listening, please put Snake in." Maybe his son outgrew Smash (blasphemy, but it happens)? Yet another piece to the million-piece puzzle that is Snake's absence in Smash 4.

New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.
Why do you use this unflattering (and fanmade) picture for Snake when everyone else has nice official art?

It's funny but being that everyone else seems to have official art or, failing that, in-game renders, it's pretty odd. You could just use the Brawl art.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Why do you use this unflattering (and fanmade) picture for Snake when everyone else has nice official art?

It's funny but being that everyone else seems to have official art or, failing that, in-game renders, it's pretty odd. You could just use the Brawl art.
I second this, it just seems so strange that the picture for Snake is one of him running away from the Incredible Hulk of all things.

Also, is it me, or is he way too buried into the other options. For one, he was excluded from the veteran section which makes no sense. And then you had to not only go through a ton of third party characters whose companies are in this game, but also ones who have nothing in Smash Bros.

Also, for the record, my votes were about 90-95% ones/nos.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I second this, it just seems so strange that the picture for Snake is one of him running away from the Incredible Hulk of all things.

Also, is it me, or is he way too buried into the other options. For one, he was excluded from the veteran section which makes no sense. And then you had to not only go through a ton of third party characters whose companies are in this game, but also ones who have nothing in Smash Bros.

Also, for the record, my votes were about 90-95% ones/nos.
Push fixed the render for Snake now BTW.

Mario2015

Smash Rookie
I would have snake over bomber man, but bomber man is extremly close, have you seen super smash flash 2? Bomber man played amazing in that game and he's so much fun

Didnt you use to tang on here with a player named SSJ Kirby? I heard he quit the forum.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Some quotes from that article I posted. Emphasis mine.

So what drove Kojima to "practically beg" Sakurai to get Snake in the game? "My child likes Super Smash Bros., so we play it a lot together. And he told me that there's no character that you made in that game," Hideo Kojima told a group of interviewers late last week ahead of the Smithsonian's "The Art of Videogames" exhibit. Aside from his son's pleading, Kojima pointed to Metal Gear's low profile on Nintendo consoles as a second reason.

"As you know, we did make Twin Snakes, but generally speaking, there hasn't been a lot of Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. So from that perspective, I thought it was a good way to expose younger people to this character, Snake," he said. It must be working, as Snake is one of Brawl's most popular characters.

I'm imaging Kojima and Kojima Jr. both playing as Snake on Shadow Moses Island. Too adorable for words. Imagine playing with daddy as the character daddy made. Now that's a gift if I ever saw one!

And it's never too late to get Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. :woman: You wanna attract the younger people, right, Konami? :woman: Take notes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm a bit surprised that Konami barely did anything to capitalize on the fact that Snake's Brawl appearance gave Metal Gear a bigger audience on Nintendo systems. The only thing that I can recall was releasing Snake Eater for the 3DS, which was undermined somewhat by releasing that game, plus MGS2, the original Metal Gear games, and Peace Walker, for the other consoles.

I realize that releasing MGS4 or 5 on Nintendo consoles would be confusing, and MGS2 probably wouldn't be a great choice unless Twin Snakes was re-released (given that MGS2 doesn't make much sense if you haven't played MGS1... or in general), but you'd think they'd be able to do something, whether it's a side story like Portable Ops or Peace Walker (it's not like there's no plot points to go off of - they could do a story about the Boss in World War 2, or Snake and Otacon destroying knock-off Metal Gears in between MGS1 and 2), or a remake of an older game like Metal Gear 1 or 2.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm a bit surprised that Konami barely did anything to capitalize on the fact that Snake's Brawl appearance gave Metal Gear a bigger audience on Nintendo systems. The only thing that I can recall was releasing Snake Eater for the 3DS, which was undermined somewhat by releasing that game, plus MGS2, the original Metal Gear games, and Peace Walker, for the other consoles.

I realize that releasing MGS4 or 5 on Nintendo consoles would be confusing, and MGS2 probably wouldn't be a great choice unless Twin Snakes was re-released (given that MGS2 doesn't make much sense if you haven't played MGS1... or in general), but you'd think they'd be able to do something, whether it's a side story like Portable Ops or Peace Walker (it's not like there's no plot points to go off of - they could do a story about the Boss in World War 2, or Snake and Otacon destroying knock-off Metal Gears in between MGS1 and 2), or a remake of an older game like Metal Gear 1 or 2.
A gray fox game on wii would have been neat, using motion controls to control his sword.
Also, didn't kojima say he was working on a wii game back in 2006? Last time he said anything about it was that he said he would finish it after mgs4. Guess mgs4 took too much of his time?

The current Black Hound Rumor does say that it this potentially MG thing would appear on an "undisclosed" Nintendo console.

Guess we will find out mañana if this thing turns out to be, well, anything.

Link:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Hound
I heard that was fake. Is it?

EDIT: Apparently the unannounced nintendo console was at one point referred to as "nintendo dreamcast".
Unless they're teaming up with sega, take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
So why would Sakurai go out of his way to explain why the Ice Climbers are not in the game, when Solid Snake was such a HUGE emphasis in Smash Bros? I don't want to sound the Snake DLC horn just yet, but I just find it strange that he wouldn't address Snake's absence immediately--almost as if he's saving him for---no, it's probably nothing. And I really hate to shoot down the Ice Climbers, I want them back more than anything, but it's just food for thought.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So why would Sakurai go out of his way to explain why the Ice Climbers are not in the game, when Solid Snake was such a HUGE emphasis in Smash Bros? I don't want to sound the Snake DLC horn just yet, but I just find it strange that he wouldn't address Snake's absence immediately--almost as if he's saving him for---no, it's probably nothing. And I really hate to shoot down the Ice Climbers, I want them back more than anything, but it's just food for thought.
As of right now, there's been two times Snake has been mentioned. One was during the 50-fact extravaganza where they said the Palutena guidance would be similar to the Snake codec's in Brawl (Basically just dropping his name out of nowhere) and during an interview (this year I think?) in Famatsu saying how no reveal could possibly top Snake's during the Brawl reveal (I believe in response to the interviewer when they were talking about Pac Man). So Sakurai has mentioned him, though has never gone on further than that.

It is strange, yes, that Sakurai knows of Snake's huge reveal back in Brawl and the positivity towards him. It pretty much makes me almost positive that something may have happened during negotiations in trying to get him in. Whether it can be fixed or not is only for time to tell. Considering how Kojima had no contact from Sakurai, maybe he never was asked by Nintendo or Sakurai in the first place...

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What am I watching?

I think... I think Snake's dash attack should be a box slide now... or a box charge like in MGO.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
What am I watching?

I think... I think Snake's dash attack should be a box slide now... or a box charge like in MGO.
Oh man, you don't know how much I needed to see that XD

I just started college this week, and the workload is insane. I have a huge project due today, and that video was enough to get my mind off of school for a minute. I can't wait to play TPP and do silly things like that!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Only thirteen more hours till that black hound thing is revealed. Even though I think it is fake, can't wait till it ends. Wouldn't care if it was a rickroll like that fallout 4 countdown.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Riding that Kojima Ruse Cruise!

I honestly think it's not really anything so I am not really getting my hopes up...may have did that pre TTP Smash release update >_>

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
If Snake comes back, I hope they put this in SSB4:
If Rising gets a nod as a music addition, Rules of Nature or It Has to Be This Way have to show up as those songs. I love the entire Rising soundtrack, but those two are the songs to add when giving Rising a music nod.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Riding that Kojima Ruse Cruise!

I honestly think it's not really anything so I am not really getting my hopes up...may have did that pre TTP Smash release update >_>
Only three more hours left till that counter ends. I can't wait to see Rick astley or John Cena pop up.

Top Bottom