• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I actually had a dream depicting Snake's potential trailer:
Usual cross flash, flames,and then...

Same cliff area where the Mega Man and Bowser Jr. trailers occurred, it's a sort of continuation of where the Bowser Jr. trailer left off. As the Koopalings are fighting Mario and the others, the camera zooms away to show a lone box sitting atop a distant cliff...

Fade to black, cue slightly slowed down, grayscale segments of all the previous trailers as "Calling to the Night" begins to play. Snake begins to narrate, reminiscing about his days on the Smash battlefield, and how he wishes he could rejoin the battle. I forgot exactly what he said, but then Otacon joins in on a codec call voicing his opinions (I again forgot the exact words) and then an explosion occurs on the ground below.

"Looks like I'm back in action."

Snake busts out of his box as "Yell Dead Cell" begins playing, and

Snake sneaks back in!
As the title card is shown, Snake says "Kept you waiting, huh?", kind of like how Duck Hunt seemed to be aware of their tag line in their trailer

At the end, after the gameplay and the logo, Snake looks into the distance and says, "I hope you're watching wherever you are, Colonel," in reference to the fact that the Colonel's character had been retired following his Japanese VO, Takeshi Aono's death. It follows with a message on screen saying "In memory of Takeshi Aono".

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
To a tropical island. He's had enough of corporate politics and he intends to spend the rest of his life chillin' in the Caribbean. :shades:
More like off to the middle of the ocean to create a giant base that belongs to no ideology or game developer. But little does he know Konami is currently putting together a task force to take him down, IMANOK. (Konami backwards, lol.) It's an orginization headed by someone terrifying, someone with no face or features... Code name Bomberman.

I don't really plan to spend too much time here until I beat MGS5, but HOLY CRAP. D-DOG IS SO CUTE. OHHH MY GOSH.
I can't wait for him to grow up so I can run around with my eyepatch wolf.
Also, (minor follower spoiler) [spolier] Took down Quiet, got Huey, and about to try out the D-Walker, which looks to possibly be the hypest thing in the entire franchise. As soon as Huey said something about it being silent, I was interested, but then he said it's mounted with a TRANQUILIZER GUN. He had my heart with those words.[spoiler/]

I'm loving the open world feel, and am actually surprised in having to resort to lethal force pretty frequently. Once I stopped going for pure no kill runs, the game opened up a lot more for me. Also, turned off Reflex Mode.

There's an AMAZING scene with Ocelot MGS3 vets will grin at.

This game is super hype. y'all. It's a little strange how the present the story this time around, and I'm a little dissapointed with how little they're delving into character motivations and philosophical conversations like other MG games do, but I think the Cassettes are pretty cool. And all 80's music? Hell yes. I'll wait to see how the story pans out, but looks like this is going to be a slick game of the year for me.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Guess who's second place in PushDustin's poll for vets :cool:

His comments regarding Snake specifically:
The poll was also shared with the Snake support thread on SmashBoards. Overall, Snake held a 48% request rate. For those respondents who only picked “A”, Snake had a 78% request rate. Snake’s support decreased as time went on (-9%), which was either affected by me egging on Wolf and Snake supports against each other, the Wolf fanbase being overall stronger, or the possibility that the poll being shared with the Snake support thread had no impact on his performance.
I'm hoping that bolded part isn't true. :drwtf:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I'miei actually hoping that the bonded part is true. It would mean that Snake is supported even outside his specific support group.

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator

I'm really sure that the newcomers fanboys, Nintendo fanboys and actual Smash 4 fanboys support only Nintendo characters for their return (only Wolf and Popo) and newcomers exclusive for Nintendo
The Brawl fan base support strongly Snake and Wolf également, for this cause the two characters were tied before ending the poll.

Last edited:

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
But there are strong votes for Snake, but still yeah Issac and Wolf are my are choices and also the Wonder Red that if he's wanted

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm really sure that the newcomers fanboys, Nintendo fanboys and actual Smash 4 fanboys support only Nintendo characters for their return (only Wolf and Popo) and newcomers exclusive for Nintendo
The Brawl fan base support strongly Snake and Wolf également, for this cause the two characters were tied before ending the poll.
I wonder if the people who started Smash are more against Snake returning. Or maybe vets in general returning, since they never played them or had a reason to get attached to them. Having grown up with Super Low-Count-Polygon Bros Smash, I sometimes forget there are people who entered the series at Melee or later. There are plenty of kids nowadays whose first exposure to Smash was Brawl, and certainly many whose first exposure was or will be 4. Vets may as well be newcomers to them, because they never "lost" anything.

Ice Climbers is significantly behind both Wolf and Snake in support. I wonder if this is because of the 3DS thing. But then again, this was "which characters would you want for DLC," not "which characters are most likely." In Rate Their Chances parlance, it's Want, not Chance. Wolf and Snake both have the benefit of having living series and large fanbases, while the Ice Climbers have one game to their name and it was an NES launch title, a bit too old for most people to think of nostalgically. I definitely would have put Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers as the top three most requested veterans, but the gap between the IC and Snake is unexpected to me.

I'm really disappointed Pichu is more popular than Ivysaur, why you guys want the masochistic tiny Pikachu over the supah-cool four-legged vine-whipping Ivysaur? smh

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I guarantee that if this were any other fanbase, they'd be freaking out over Snake bing in Smash. In a positive way. Nintendo fanboys can be the worst in that every other company or person owes Nintendo this or that.

I'd say it's a good thing that Snake is just behind Wolf in that poll. Based on different sources of information, it seems Snake is easily Top 10 in the ballot, if not closer to Top 5. Frankly, I would agrue the only potential characters beating him currently are K.Rool, Wolf, maybe Isaac (Japan brings him down a wee bit) and well...potentially Shovel Knight. He's in a good spot for sure.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Some people don't want Snake back? Why?

I haven't even played the Metal Gear games and I want him back. He was such a fun character.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I wonder if the people who started Smash are more against Snake returning. Or maybe vets in general returning, since they never played them or had a reason to get attached to them. Having grown up with Super Low-Count-Polygon Bros Smash, I sometimes forget there are people who entered the series at Melee or later. There are plenty of kids nowadays whose first exposure to Smash was Brawl, and certainly many whose first exposure was or will be 4. Vets may as well be newcomers to them, because they never "lost" anything.

Ice Climbers is significantly behind both Wolf and Snake in support. I wonder if this is because of the 3DS thing. But then again, this was "which characters would you want for DLC," not "which characters are most likely." In Rate Their Chances parlance, it's Want, not Chance. Wolf and Snake both have the benefit of having living series and large fanbases, while the Ice Climbers have one game to their name and it was an NES launch title, a bit too old for most people to think of nostalgically. I definitely would have put Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers as the top three most requested veterans, but the gap between the IC and Snake is unexpected to me.

I'm really disappointed Pichu is more popular than Ivysaur, why you guys want the masochistic tiny Pikachu over the supah-cool four-legged vine-whipping Ivysaur? smh
I'm going to guess a few factors went into why the Ice Climbers were trailing so far.

First, I'd say many younger/newer fans see/saw theme as too old or too obscure. With only one game from the 80's, I doubt they'd be a blip on anybody's radar had Sakurai not included them in Melee much like Mach Rider and Bubbles seem to be completely forgotten. I remember them being pretty unpopular during the pre-Brawl days and one of least wanted non-clones to return alongside Mr. Game & Watch for similar reasons.

I do believe the whole 3DS issue and Sakurai's comments have written them off in most people's minds. While this is a "want" poll, I think by this point, people are voting with what they want that also realistically has a chance. With a glaring problem like the 3DS issue, I'm guessing most fans just saw them as a lost cause and would have supported them more if there was only the Wii U version.

This probably affected Snake's votes as well since people misunderstand the Konami/Kojima incident and voted for Wolf since he doesn't seem to have anything against him aside from possible Sakurai bias as he was only added in because he could be derived from Fox and not by his own merits. A comment statement I've seen over the ballot period is the people saying "I want Snake, but the Konami issue makes him impossible." With that said, I am impressed, but not surprised, that Snake kept so close to Wolf regardless of the whole Konami drama.

As for Pichu, my guess is a combination of past Game Freak marketing and Generation representation. For the Generation aspect, I think fans just feel it'd be better to have a character from anything but the First Generation of the games, as we have four from it already. Meanwhile, Second, Third and Fifth Generation have no characters, which I've seen used as an argument in favor of those who originated from those games.

For the Marketing aspect, Pichu was pretty heavily promoted during the time the Second Generation was fresh and even quite a bit into the Third Generation. This would have lead to Pichu being more stuck in fans minds/lead to more personal connections with the character. Unlike Pichu, Ivysaur never got this treatment and pretty much was left with the other generic Pokemon. Bulbasaur and Venusaur got promoted about, along with all basic and top-evolution Pokemon, but pretty rare to see any focus on the mid-level evolutions. I'm more surprised Squirtle did so low, even being below the character everyone feels is 100% replaced and redundant to include.

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
maybe Nintendo and Konami may fix it? i mean this issue that's been going around, i hope they'll add Snake

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Quite frankly, there is no denying that Snake was a unique character in Brawl, in terms of moveset. That said, I wouldn't be the least bit upset if he did return in Smash 4. With a few tweeks, I think he would be phenomenal.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
http://mmgn.com/ps4/news--konami-filed-copyright-claim-against-mgs-fan#_=_

Uhh, after a news like this. I wonder how open Konami will be about Snake in Smash.

:231:
That's really bizarre. Konami is usually open to Metal Gear fan art, with them occasionally re-tweeting other fan art and cosplay for Metal Gear. This is a long shot, but what if Konami filed copyright because the image spoiled something in MGSV. The fact that the game just came out and the director of the game could have re-tweeted potential spoilers could mean that Konami filed copyright so that the image wouldn't spoil the game for the fans.

Don't take anything I said too seriously, it's just speculation. Feel free to disagree or correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That's really bizarre. Konami is usually open to Metal Gear fan art, with them occasionally re-tweeting other fan art and cosplay for Metal Gear. This is a long shot, but what if Konami filed copyright because the image spoiled something in MGSV. The fact that the game just came out and the director of the game could have re-tweeted potential spoilers could mean that Konami filed copyright so that the image wouldn't spoil the game for the fans.

Don't take anything I said too seriously, it's just speculation. Feel free to disagree or correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think it would've been spoilery considering the tweet that got hit was made just before MGS V released.

Yoship

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoship2
3DS FC
1865-3001-1257
Wasn't there something that prevented Sakurai from implementing Snake, like a deal with Konami? Forgot what it was, exactly, but I'd still love to see Snake, albeit I'd still main Pikachu.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there something that prevented Sakurai from implementing Snake, like a deal with Konami? Forgot what it was, exactly, but I'd still love to see Snake, albeit I'd still main Pikachu.
There hasn't been a statement about why Snake was cut yet. Nobody knows why Snake was cut, it's all speculation at this point.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
We know Sakurai did not ask Kojima about using Snake.
That's all we know.
Everything else is speculation. Who knows.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
We don't have official disconfirmation of Snake
In contrast to Waddle Dee and Krystal on Brawl, Ridley or Ice Climbers on Smash Wii U 3DS
We have speculation, about the Kojima interview on BOLD
EDIT: Subjetive the interview take it as grain of salt
  • The Kojima Interview: In March of this year Kojima was being interviewed on a livestream about Metal Gear Solid 5, and they were taking questions from the internet. Here's the video, start it at 29:00. When asked if Snake will return in the next Smash Bros. game, he laughs and says "I'm not working that game so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely, but if Mr. Sakurai is watching, then please use Snake." Okay number 1, he is clearly hiding something. There is no way that he doesn't know either way. As it said in the last article I posted, Kojima begged Sakurai to put Snake in. Why would he suddenly not care about it anymore? You don't think he'd at least politely ask? Sakurai would definitely tell him if he was cut or if he was in, not leave him in the dark. So Kojima knows something. The fact that he laughs is really weird, too. He's probably like "Oh ****, what do I say? Cover up time!" This is probably over analysis, but the point is there's no way that he doesn't know.

• MGS Composer on the offical composer list: This is huge for Snake. On the official composer list MGS composer Nobuko Toda is listed. Look on her IMDB page, she almost exclusively does MGS music. People say this doesn't mean anything, because there are plenty of other big name composers on there. But those other big name composers have done a ton of different games: Nobuko Toda has almost exclusively done MGS music. She is even credited for all of the MGS music in Brawl. I don't see any other reason for her to be on there.

• The GameSpot Interview: Take this one with a grain of salt, but it's still worth mentioning. In a GameSpot interview (start it at 6:50), a representative was asked if Snake would be in. He basically just gave the PR response, "we have not announced Solid Snake" then GameSpot says "so a big question mark?" and he agrees. So no confirming or denying. However, he did seem a tad bit nervous answering the question. As I said though, take this one with a grain of salt, I'm just including it because this is "the ultimate compilation of Snake info", so it's worth including it. Thank you /u/CaptainCrisby for reminding me of this interview!
Source:
SSB4The ultimate compilation of Snake information
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...te_compilation_of_snake_information/?sort=new

EDIT: Details of redaction fixed, misinformation changed by speculation
If you want add or correct something please contact me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn
You're being called out.

Also, you're using someone's speculation as proof there's "misinformation"? While spreading misinformation yourself by stating Bandana Dee and Krystal have been "officially" disconfirmed?

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn
You're being called out.

Also, you're using someone's speculation as proof there's "misinformation"? While spreading misinformation yourself by stating Bandana Dee and Krystal have been "officially" disconfirmed?
I'm on my way to work. If there's misinformation on Source Gaming then please send me a Pm. I always accept corrections when they exist.

D

Deleted member

I'm on my way to work. If there's misinformation on Source Gaming then please send me a Pm. I always accept corrections when they exist.
The "misinformation" part of my post wasn't aimed at you. I was just summoning you since someone else was claiming there was misinformation on your part.

Hi @GoldenYuiitusin
In the article of Source Gaming:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/

Only for Brawl I think with the ballot they have more chance :)

You're right I will edit that about misinformation of the interview
I changed by speculation
Hi.

That's not a disconfirmation.
Specifically for Krystal, he's saying that she couldn't have been in Brawl instead of Wolf because Wolf was chosen with low effort in mind (since he was one of the lower priority characters that would be included if there was time to make them) whereas Krystal would've required more effort.
For Waddle Dee (the generic enemy; not Bandana Waddle Dee, who wasn't an established character until after Brawl), he's saying that while he is understanding of people disappointed in a character's exclusion, he can't harp on people questioning the exclusion of one character or he'd have to do the same with every character that gets questioned, a never-ending list that includes the likes of Waddle Dee, Dry Bones, and Baby Peach.

And thank you for fixing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I actually had a dream depicting Snake's potential trailer:
Usual cross flash, flames,and then...

Same cliff area where the Mega Man and Bowser Jr. trailers occurred, it's a sort of continuation of where the Bowser Jr. trailer left off. As the Koopalings are fighting Mario and the others, the camera zooms away to show a lone box sitting atop a distant cliff...

Fade to black, cue slightly slowed down, grayscale segments of all the previous trailers as "Calling to the Night" begins to play. Snake begins to narrate, reminiscing about his days on the Smash battlefield, and how he wishes he could rejoin the battle. I forgot exactly what he said, but then Otacon joins in on a codec call voicing his opinions (I again forgot the exact words) and then an explosion occurs on the ground below.

"Looks like I'm back in action."

Snake busts out of his box as "Yell Dead Cell" begins playing, and

Snake sneaks back in!
As the title card is shown, Snake says "Kept you waiting, huh?", kind of like how Duck Hunt seemed to be aware of their tag line in their trailer

At the end, after the gameplay and the logo, Snake looks into the distance and says, "I hope you're watching wherever you are, Colonel," in reference to the fact that the Colonel's character had been retired following his Japanese VO, Takeshi Aono's death. It follows with a message on screen saying "In memory of Takeshi Aono".
Closest thing I had involving Snake in Smash was a dream where Snake (or was it Big Boss?) was wandering through a large wetland or swampy area from MGS3 and also had the Stone Tower towers in the background. ...lol
I posted about it in August or September 2013 in the old SSB4 social thread.

-----

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I beat MGS3D. T.T

Boss....

Also, what does Jaguar rank mean?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
We don't have official disconfirmation of Snake
In contrast to Waddle Dee and Krystal on Brawl, Ridley or Ice Climbers on Smash Wii U 3DS
We have speculation, about the Kojima interview on BOLD
EDIT: Subjetive the interview take it as grain of salt

Source:
SSB4The ultimate compilation of Snake information
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...te_compilation_of_snake_information/?sort=new

EDIT: Details of redaction fixed, misinformation changed by speculation
If you want add or correct something please contact me
This was made last year. I don't think any of this is relevant to Snake's chances today, unfortunately. Unless there was something else you wanted to say with this post, in which case I totally misunderstood.

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Konami became weird and weird after a day.

but Nintendo and Konami still friends they'll do something i'm sure of it

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Phantom Pain is excellent so far, I am honestly surprised I have avoided spoilers this long! My only gripe is that I miss the long cutscenes - they were packed with themes and over the top melodrama that became signature to the series. This game is a lot more somber by comparison, so it does make sense that they were omitted.

Makes me wish Snake was in Smash even more. Would prefer Hayter and Solid's goofiness - but would be okay with Keifers boss too if he lightened up some.

The series has taught me not to give up hope when all seems gone. With that, I hope Snake is hiding somewhere in the shadows - keeping us waiting.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Phantom Pain is excellent so far, I am honestly surprised I have avoided spoilers this long! My only gripe is that I miss the long cutscenes - they were packed with themes and over the top melodrama that became signature to the series. This game is a lot more somber by comparison, so it does make sense that they were omitted.

Makes me wish Snake was in Smash even more. Would prefer Hayter and Solid's goofiness - but would be okay with Keifers boss too if he lightened up some.

The series has taught me not to give up hope when all seems gone. With that, I hope Snake is hiding somewhere in the shadows - keeping us waiting.
He's probably just on reconnaissance duty, spying on the new competition in his cardboard box. Knowing your enemy is the quickest path to victory.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Freaking AI... Some slight spoilers to what weapons, missions, and what D. Dog can get, but not really. It's like if you looked up a weapons list to find out what unique weapons are in Diablo. D. Dog's pathing ended up causing a hilarious event between 2 Russian soldiers. Man, I really want to play this game...

Last edited:
Top Bottom