• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want to see him do Snake. Half the work is done for him, there's several renders he could use as a basis.
Personally, I would want it to be Snake's costume from MGS1 with Big Boss's mullet/beard.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I think the guy knew exactly what he was doing or else he wouldn't of presented it that way.
He did it for himself and to get awareness (of any kind). Personally, think it was a mean and selfish stunt.

I also don't think Rayman would've hurt Snakes chances. There is no rule stating there can only be a certain amount of Third Parties - if the characters are special enough, they will be there in the game.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If he did Snake, I would have tried to laugh it off. I would have been some what mad, but It's nothing to simply go to his channel and insult over it. He's earned a sub for sure.

I am curious to see what would have been the community reaction towards the leak if it was snake, would there have been less people believing it, due to bias against him? Or would it have been pretty much the same. Guess we'll never know.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
To buy Ground Zeroes or no to buy Ground Zeroes, that is the question.....
Buy it, it is really not a question at all.
If you are a fan of MGS, then buy it.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones As you can see, I'm new to the site, but I've been lurking for a few months. After the Rayman fiasco, I decided to join so I could hopefully lend support for DLC. I'd appreciate it if I could be added to the list of supporters.
Thanks.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'd love to see the artist do Snake.

If only to have something to dream about since we're back to knowing nothing of post-Mewtwo DLC.

;_;

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Trust me guys, no other third party character is going to come as DLC until after Snake returns.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel as if outside of the big 3 3rd party characters we already have, there's a decent dropoff in quality of characters. That's not to say Snake isn't iconic. But he's not Pac-Man or Sonic.

However, Metal Gear is still a HUGE series, and frankly, we're only here supporting him because he was in Smash Bros. before. Had he not been, he probably wouldn't stand a chance. He's certainly unique, he provides all sorts of content for Smash, and brings a stark contrast to the characters we've already seen.

Also, another point that I've recently encountered is that his moveset doesn't characterize MGS. However, I've already nailed that one down in the Official Character Discussion Thread.

Literally the only valid point against him is that he isn't on the same level of the 3 (arguably only 2) we've gotten. But he's still a big name character and he's been in Smash before. So it's not even a huge deal to me.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I think Snake is just as iconic as Link, Mega Man, Samus, and Kirby.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think Smash itself contributed a lot to Snake's already high iconic status by making him one of the most unlikely guest fighters in history.

And he was generally well received, too.

Shame he was unceremoniously cut.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think Smash itself contributed a lot to Snake's already high iconic status by making him one of the most unlikely guest fighters in history.

And he was generally well received, too.

Shame he was unceremoniously cut.
If you look up solid snake on Google images, the first thing that pops up is his smash appearance.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Why does everybody say this "a soldier from Advance Wars could take Snake's moveset" every time i hear this it rubs me the wrong way. Advance Wars isn't even that too popular!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Why does everybody say this "a soldier from Advance Wars could take Snake's moveset" every time i hear this it rubs me the wrong way. Advance Wars isn't even that too popular!
I get annoyed by this statement as well. I love advance wars and it would make me mad to see them have a moveset taken from another character. The only similarity they have is that they are both from war games. Why can't an advance war character have their own moveset tailored from aspects from their own series? I'm sure there is plenty to work with, it's not like snake took the only "kid-friendly" military moveset.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
This makes me feel at ease. It's clear that there is quite a bit of demand for Snake -- both stateside and overseas -- to the point where he even beat out Ice Climbers. I honestly don't mean it to gloat or anything, but I figured since Ice Climbers were in Melee before Brawl, they would have had a more affected userbase, thus leading to more demand for them. I guess this further validates that Snake is indeed a well-received Smash Bros. character and people have no problem seeing him return - they want him to.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I get annoyed by this statement as well. I love advance wars and it would make me mad to see them have a moveset taken from another character. The only similarity they have is that they are both from war games. Why can't an advance war character have their own moveset tailored from aspects from their own series? I'm sure there is plenty to work with, it's not like snake took the only "kid-friendly" military moveset.
Noy only that, but I'm preatty sure an Advance War character can't use CQC, one of the most important thing of Snake's moves...or they think that the moveset is just the B- moves?!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Noy only that, but I'm preatty sure an Advance War character can't use CQC, one of the most important thing of Snake's moves...or they think that the moveset is just the B- moves?!
A lot of people seem to think that way for whatever reason, seeing as there are a lot of claims that Lucas and Wolf are just clones of Ness and Fox, similar to Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, or Lucina.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So sorry. My memory's not the greatest. I remember correctly, the original FOXHOUNDERS were @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy , @ Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 , @CaptainCrisb , @HylianHeroBigBoss , @Katty Shepherd , @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A , and myself. Only Liquid, you, and myself have continued to be active here. Skyfox has just recently come back and HHBB comes by eery now and then
HylianHero is still around, just not posting as much. CaptainCrisb is maybe falling into that, though, and Katty Shepherd is flat out gone.

Maybe the tag will bring the former two back here when they next log on, for what it's worth.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I think it's safe too say that @Katty Shepherd is long gone! and the Captain was last seen Tuesday!
Shame too. She was hysterical. Last I heard of her she was busy with school and she was aiming to be a soldier. I still remember that time you asked me to confess my love to Katty so Snake could be confirmed...

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Shame too. She was hysterical. Last I heard of her she was busy with school and she was aiming to be a soldier. I still remember that time you asked me to confess my love to Katty so Snake could be confirmed...
Yeah i remember that lol. Im not going to keep no secerts here but the reason i've been inactive for months upon months is because i fell in love and let's just say "I met with a terrible fate" at the end of it all. What inspired me to come back was the DLC and i play smash with my buddies and @DekuSWEG is one of them he is new here lol.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yeah i remember that lol. Im not going to keep no secerts here but the reason i've been inactive for months upon months is because i fell in love and let's just say "I met with a terrible fate" at the end of it all. What inspired me to come back was the DLC and i play smash with my buddies and @DekuSWEG is one of them he is new here lol.
I remember you telling me that. Happy to see back though. We should smash sometime.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I remember you telling me that. Happy to see back though. We should smash sometime.
What that i fell in love? I have Smash for both the Wii U and 3DS but my friend @DekuSWEG has my Wii U version but i have the 3DS version if anyone wants to play me let me know it's Skyfox2000.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
What that i fell in love? I have Smash for both the Wii U and 3DS but my friend @DekuSWEG has my Wii U version but i have the 3DS version if anyone wants to play me let me know it's Skyfox2000.
Yeah, you told me last year that you fell in love. I sent a PM to all the old FOXHOUNDERS last November.

I only have the 3Ds version, so we're good.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
As someone who's never played a Metal Gear game (excluding the very first NES one, which I despised and do not wish to play again), which games should I try? Keep in mind I only have Nintendo consoles. Snake's inclusion in Brawl sort of upped my interest in him and his series, but I don't really know much about either one other than the iconic exclamation point, it's a sneaky game, many cutscenes, it's anti-war (?), there's also Liquid (?) and Naked (?) Snake, and I think the Metal Gear are robots or war weapons or something. I figured since there are MGS fans here, I'd probably get a better recommendation than from just reading reviews and such. Please help me educate my poor, ignorant soul.

(it also feels kind of weird supporting Snake and playing as him fairly often in Brawl and not even knowing much about him. i have a passing acquaintance with many of the other series.)

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@KimKardashian The general point of every Metal Gear game is to stop Metal Gear, a Bipedal Nuclear Tank that someone wants to use to take over the world in someway or another. You play as a Snake, and there are several Snakes in the franchise.

Keeping in mind you only have Nintendo Platforms, your selection of MGS games drops to two, excluding the two on the NES and one on GBC. That would be Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D on the 3DS.

I recommend you download the demo to Snake Eater in the eShop(demo is over 1000 blocks fyi) and see if you like the gameplay. In order to really play MGS3, you will need to get a Circle Pad Pro, but the game is playable without it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As someone who's never played a Metal Gear game (excluding the very first NES one, which I despised and do not wish to play again), which games should I try? Keep in mind I only have Nintendo consoles. Snake's inclusion in Brawl sort of upped my interest in him and his series, but I don't really know much about either one other than the iconic exclamation point, it's a sneaky game, many cutscenes, it's anti-war (?), there's also Liquid (?) and Naked (?) Snake, and I think the Metal Gear are robots or war weapons or something. I figured since there are MGS fans here, I'd probably get a better recommendation than from just reading reviews and such. Please help me educate my poor, ignorant soul.

(it also feels kind of weird supporting Snake and playing as him fairly often in Brawl and not even knowing much about him. i have a passing acquaintance with many of the other series.)
Your best start would be the Twin Snakes for Nintendo GameCube, while there are not many games on Nintendo consoles the three that are (the Twin Snakes [GCN], Ghost Babel [GBC], and Snake Eater 3D[3DS]) are phenominal, any are a good place to start. Snake Eater 3D is easiest to obtain and a prequel to the first, Twin Snakes is a remake of the first so either will do just as well.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot to @ K Knux27 (btw it's KimKarsmashian, my alter ego for when I am inevitably included in the Smash series :troll:) and @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy ! I'm kind of surprised at how few games Snake has on Nintendo consoles. I understand the haters now and will officially be withdrawing my support and will petition for more Metal Gear on Nintendo. :pow:

Since I'm strapped for cash at the moment, it's gonna be tough... on the one hand, Twin Snakes will probably be cheaper since it's older, but I have no GC with me at the moment. MGS3DS will be more expensive (and apparently not as good without the circle pad pro, which I do not intend to buy as the aforementioned cash-strapped person) but I will be able to play it consistently. Tough choice. I'll have to look into how much each one is going for. If it weren't for the Circle Pad Pro, I'd probably just go for MGS3DS.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
there's also Liquid
hai

but moving on

If you had a PSP I would strongly recommend Peace Walker, but given your limitations Twin Snakes is the best choice.

it's anti-war (?)*, there's also Liquid (?) and Naked (?) Snake**, and I think the Metal Gear are robots or war weapons or something***.
*Yes.
**Liquid and Solidus. Naked Snake is the other name for Big Boss, the guy you kill at the end of the NES Metal Gear.
***Mecha. And even if the typical mecha in each game isn't a Metal Gear by definition, there's a good chance that nuclear weapons are involved.

Top Bottom