• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Braydon

Smash Ace
@Sewnic
The fanboy is for real. There's no point of arguing with someone like you, snake sticks out like a sore thumb in smash and you get from that, "Stark contrast that makes his inclusion all worth the while."

Snake is a cookie cutter hero, it's really not up for debate. Talking about him having problems with being a clone as making him original? The idea that heroes need to struggle against adversity for a good story was coined by the ancient Greeks, and "he is a clone," is an incredibly generic thing for a militaristic, vaguely futuristic game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@Sewnic
The fanboy is for real. There's no point of arguing with someone like you, snake sticks out like a sore thumb in smash and you get from that, "Stark contrast that makes his inclusion all worth the while."

Snake is a cookie cutter hero, it's really not up for debate. Talking about him having problems with being a clone as making him original? The idea that heroes need to struggle against adversity for a good story was coined by the ancient Greeks, and "he is a clone," is an incredibly generic thing for a militaristic, vaguely futuristic game.
While I commend you for your reference to Classical Greek literature and tragedy, I must summarily point out that your thesis statement is fundamentally flawed and extremely conceited. Instead of arguing your case and vindicating your statement as @Sewnic did, you are instead criticising not the content of his argument, but rather the fact that he feels the need to argue at all - a vicious circle that only aggrandises the futility of this debate.

It is up for debate, and it has been demonstrated time and time again that your position is not inviolate or sacrosanct. You have made no attempts to bolster your opinion with reference to primary sources or justifiable counter-arguments, but merely resort to that most churlish and oafish of rebuttals, to wit: "Nuh-uh it's right 'cos I say say so neener-neener!" If you're attempting to troll, then I will recognise the merits of your decent grammar and spelling and your at least borderline competent attempts at holding a cohesive argument - but otherwise, that same argument is riddled with bias and blanket statements that have absolutely no merit or justification to them, but are merely provoked for what I can only, for lack of due representation of any other kind of sentiment, the sake of stoking the flames within the already jilted fanbase.

This is being said from the position of somebody who does not have any stake in the Metal Gear series and who merely enjoys Snake as a character in Brawl, and even then, only from his essential presence and the premise that he is in the game at all. I never played Snake to any honestly serious degree and I am not particularly upset that he is not playable in Smash 4.

Oh, and re: Greek tragedy? It wasn't coined by the Greeks themselves, the trope that good must face adversity and triumph over evil stems as far back as Hebrew scriptures, Native American hunting sagas, Babylonian epics and even the cave paintings in Lascaux.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
While I commend you for your reference to Classical Greek literature and tragedy, I must summarily point out that your thesis statement is fundamentally flawed and extremely conceited. Instead of arguing your case and vindicating your statement as @Sewnic did, you are instead criticising not the content of his argument, but rather the fact that he feels the need to argue at all - a vicious circle that only aggrandises the futility of this debate.

It is up for debate, and it has been demonstrated time and time again that your position is not inviolate or sacrosanct. You have made no attempts to bolster your opinion with reference to primary sources or justifiable counter-arguments, but merely resort to that most churlish and oafish of rebuttals, to wit: "Nuh-uh it's right 'cos I say say so neener-neener!" If you're attempting to troll, then I will recognise the merits of your decent grammar and spelling and your at least borderline competent attempts at holding a cohesive argument - but otherwise, that same argument is riddled with bias and blanket statements that have absolutely no merit or justification to them, but are merely provoked for what I can only, for lack of due representation of any other kind of sentiment, the sake of stoking the flames within the already jilted fanbase.

This is being said from the position of somebody who does not have any stake in the Metal Gear series and who merely enjoys Snake as a character in Brawl, and even then, only from his essential presence and the premise that he is in the game at all. I never played Snake to any honestly serious degree and I am not particularly upset that he is not playable in Smash 4.

Oh, and re: Greek tragedy? It wasn't coined by the Greeks themselves, the trope that good must face adversity and triumph over evil stems as far back as Hebrew scriptures, Native American hunting sagas, Babylonian epics and even the cave paintings in Lascaux.
I don't really see it as fair to ask me to give a source for generic, in order to prove it was ordinary I'd need to give quite a few sources now wouldn't I? If you're willing to give what I'm saying a chance, you can probably think of a similar character. I kinda don't want to explain everything in such detail I'd rather assume you new something. If I have to explain everything in such detail and site sources for what is generic then the argument isn't really going to be worth the time it takes.

Further more I don't see how you can say his argument is good and then blame me for not including counter arguments, not only does he not include counter arguments in his argument but he projects snake as having only good characteristics, not even acknowledging any issue I might have could be legitimate. He even uses words and phrases with positive connotations to talk about snake while using words and phrases with negative connotations to what he sees as my argument. It's like a sales pitch, and it leads me to think he's not willing to reason about it. Just take a look.
No, I'm fairly certain there are plenty your type who think Snake doesn't fit in Smash just like how I think you saying he's "the most generic character" and "generic militaristic guy with a bunch of guns" is a presumptuous statement.

Based on my digital travels, it has come to my notice that those who view Snake as this "generic" character have a reputation for being presumptuous about the entirety of the Metal Gear franchise and Snake as a whole -- probably due to those people actually never having played the games thoroughly, if at all. Snake's external appearance may seem whatever the common traveler perceives him to be, but Snake's psyche is what truly transcends his looks. He's one of three clones (since a militaristic man who possesses this sole trait is considered to be a repulsive trope in all forms of media, evidently to your type) who's tormented with the fact that he isn't his own person (and will never be, in an omnipresent sense), but is instead the genetic embodiment of what he absolutely detests -- Big Boss.

Based on your assumption that Snake is "generic", I'm assuming you extended your thesis by conjuring up this idea that he possesses "a bunch of guns" canonically and goes around in cutscenes annihilating every soul that crosses his "generic" path, which is riddled with mechanical bipedal nukes, the supernatural, a narrative-based obsession with breaking the fourth wall, and a character whose personality consists of explosive diarrhea. Contrary to popular belief, throughout Solid 1, 2, and 4, Solid Snake primarily utilizes tranquilizers in his missions and in cutscenes. If not that, he resorts to using CQC (implemented in his moveset because he's wholly capable of fighting without the aid of "a bunch of guns" and also ultimately characterizes his persona) and dispatching the nefarious antagonists by utilizing those non-lethal means. It's entirely clear that even the developers put an emphasis of non-lethal methods over morbid intentions and reward the players for doing so (such as unlocking costumes in boss fights for knocking them out), as it is duly noted here, here, here, and even makes a subtle commentary on the matter here.

Claiming how Snake uses guns in Brawl is rather untrue, as I doubt an RPG, mortar, C4, and mines would fall under that category. Snake utilizes explosives in a tactical manner as opposed to using bullet-based weaponry, unless you only used him when he was holding a super scope or a ray gun. (I mean at this point he's just mocking me...)

What makes Snake so unique in Brawl is the fact (as previously noted by LIQUID12A) that he hails from a widely celebrated and complex series that revolutionized narratives in gaming, making the medium salvaged and taken much more seriously as opposed to the trivial assumption made by outsiders that games are to make its subjects' minds numb with monotonous responses, devoid of any thought-provoking substance. (I mean look here! Snake saved gaming!) Snake's tone in Brawl proved to be a juxtaposition to the more light-hearted characters and it's this stark contrast that makes his inclusion all worth the while -- something of this magnitude has never been done before. His unprecedented presence in Smash introduced many people to the Metal Gear series and made his fans play Smash; Snake in Brawl was, and continues to be, a conduit that benefits both parties instead of harming them.
I'm sorry the tone of this post leads me to believe he is not willing to reason and therefor not worth arguing with. So no I'm not going to dignify this with a detailed response. If people want to have a reasonable conversation then I'll give them a counter argument instead of saying they're a fanboy and leaving it at that.

Oh and as for the ancient Greeks, they were the first to use that as a definition for someone who made a good hero. Naturally someone would have used it before but not as methodically. And actually people having used it before ancient Greece backs the whole "it's a generic way to make a story interesting" thing.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't really see it as fair to ask me to give a source for generic, in order to prove it was ordinary I'd need to give quite a few sources now wouldn't I? If you're willing to give what I'm saying a chance, you can probably think of a similar character. I kinda don't want to explain everything in such detail I'd rather assume you new something. If I have to explain everything in such detail and site sources for what is generic then the argument isn't really going to be worth the time it takes.

Further more I don't see how you can say his argument is good and then blame me for not including counter arguments, not only does he not include counter arguments in his argument but he projects snake as having only good characteristics, not even acknowledging any issue I might have could be legitimate. He even uses words and phrases with positive connotations to talk about snake while using words and phrases with negative connotations to what he sees as my argument. It's like a sales pitch, and it leads me to think he's not willing to reason about it. Just take a look.

I'm sorry the tone of this post leads me to believe he is not willing to reason and therefor not worth arguing with. So no I'm not going to dignify this with a detailed response. If people want to have a reasonable conversation then I'll give them a counter argument instead of saying they're a fanboy and leaving it at that.

Oh and as for the ancient Greeks, they were the first to use that as a definition for someone who made a good hero. Naturally someone would have used it before but not as methodically. And actually people having used it before ancient Greece backs the whole "it's a generic way to make a story interesting" thing.
I think you're missing the point here. The fundamental crux of the argument is not whether or not Snake is an interesting character or one who stands out in Smash, really, and arguing about it is pointless.

The real core of the debate here is the fact that you're coming into the Snake thread and telling them why he's not a good character. Of course people are going to disagree with you and reject your perspective, you're basically telling them that their favourite character has no place in Smash IN A THREAD DESIGNED TO SUPPORT THE CHARACTER WITH A PLACE IN SMASH.

It's not that you can't or shouldn't, because this is an open forum and counter-arguments are good, but you're not offering counter-arguments of even vindicating your position. You're telling people:

A. Your favourite character doesn't belong in Smash
B. You're a fanboy for justifying why you're a fan of this character
C. This argument is right, all evidence and rebuttals to the contrary be damned
D. This could be a better argument but it's not worth the trouble of doing that

You shouldn't be so surprised that people don't share your perspective. If this was the "Does Snake fit into Smash?" thread, then by all means, fire away. Hell, make that thread yourself if you want to argue your case. But don't come into the Snake thread and start trouble expecting people to agree with you, then acerbically deride and reject their arguments as not fitting your lofty criteria, to wit: agreeing with your fundamentally flawed thesis statement.

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A said it already and I shall reiterate it for you: if you don't like the character, you don't have to play as them or support them. At least vindicate your position rather than playing the cop-out card and making yourself seem naive and foolish.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Warning Received
I think you're missing the point here. The fundamental crux of the argument is not whether or not Snake is an interesting character or one who stands out in Smash, really, and arguing about it is pointless.

The real core of the debate here is the fact that you're coming into the Snake thread and telling them why he's not a good character. Of course people are going to disagree with you and reject your perspective, you're basically telling them that their favourite character has no place in Smash IN A THREAD DESIGNED TO SUPPORT THE CHARACTER WITH A PLACE IN SMASH.

It's not that you can't or shouldn't, because this is an open forum and counter-arguments are good, but you're not offering counter-arguments of even vindicating your position. You're telling people:

A. Your favourite character doesn't belong in Smash
B. You're a fanboy for justifying why you're a fan of this character
C. This argument is right, all evidence and rebuttals to the contrary be damned
D. This could be a better argument but it's not worth the trouble of doing that

You shouldn't be so surprised that people don't share your perspective. If this was the "Does Snake fit into Smash?" thread, then by all means, fire away. Hell, make that thread yourself if you want to argue your case. But don't come into the Snake thread and start trouble expecting people to agree with you, then acerbically deride and reject their arguments as not fitting your lofty criteria, to wit: agreeing with your fundamentally flawed thesis statement.

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A said it already and I shall reiterate it for you: if you don't like the character, you don't have to play as them or support them. At least vindicate your position rather than playing the cop-out card and making yourself seem naive and foolish.
I'm sorry, I thought I was trying to talk about snake. I thought I'd do it in the snake thread, after all, it is the snake thread. But apparently you'd rather be an animal and piss all over everything in here so everyone will know it's your territory. You're right, it was stupid of me to think I could halve a civilized conversation with a savage, a degenerate. I should've known you'd just try to attack me, should've known you don't know how to play nice. I mean this is the internet and that means I should just be content to wallow in my own filth like you do aren't I right?

Sorry for trying to be civilized but I'm done now so you can be happy, except I'd guess you'll never be happy.

If there's anyone in here who is not an animal I'd be fine talking to them.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, I thought I was trying to talk about snake. I thought I'd do it in the snake thread, after all, it is the snake thread. But apparently you'd rather be an animal and piss all over everything in here so everyone will know it's your territory. You're right, it was stupid of me to think I could halve a civilized conversation with a savage, a degenerate. I should've known you'd just try to attack me, should've known you don't know how to play nice. I mean this is the internet and that means I should just be content to wallow in my own filth like you do aren't I right?

Sorry for trying to be civilized but I'm done now so you can be happy, except I'd guess you'll never be happy.

If there's anyone in here who is not an animal I'd be fine talking to them.
Am I the only one who thought snake never fit into smash at all? He's not super unique, he's a character that didn't fit in. He's actually probably the most generic character that has ever been in smash. He's a very generic militaristic guy with a bunch of guns, oh my god how could they cut someone so unique?

Time that could have been spent on snake was much better spent on bowser Jr. who was the closest to not making it and probably would have been cut if they'd spent time deving snake.

I'm not saying smash fans don't get but hurt easy, but there really is no reason snake deserves a spot on the roster.
With that kind of attitude it shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, you practically SPIT in their faces.

A gif of Whinie the pooh turning red and being scrambled, for when it would be to ****ing simple to speak English.
This also doesn't help.

And before you say anything, I would like Snake to return the way he was (with some nerfs possibly) but I would not be upset if he didn't come back.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I generally try to avoid responding to comments like this, but there are a few things that I had to say.

Snake was tied with Sonic for first third party character, and even if he weren't I don't think that warrants his inclusion in future titles. The militaristic aspect just doesn't fit in with smash, that's kind of what I meant by he doesn't fit. He's nothing like the Nintendo characters.
The first point is objectively wrong. Snake was announced to be part of the game at launch, whereas by all accounts, Sonic wasn't added into Brawl until very late into development. It's entirely possible that, without Snake as a precedent, Sonic wouldn't have been considered for Smash Bros. (at the very least, there wouldn't have been as many fans pushing for Sonic's inclusion, as he would have been seen as a pipe dream at best)

As for the "doesn't fit in" comment, that never really made sense to me given that the game is a crossover between tons of series. You wouldn't expect Kirby characters to work within Metroid's setting (for instance, you'll never see enemies like Kraid or the Parasite Queen from Metroid Prime as bosses in a Kirby game), but Smash Bros. puts them side by side without a second thought. As well, both Sakurai and Iwata clearly disagree on that aspect when it comes to characters like Snake and Sonic.

The moveset I always felt was just a little awkward and clunky, and it has already been chopped for parts, Shiek got a very similar grenade, his up special may have been unique when it was made but now there are so many similar ones, duck hunt, olimar, and villager's have the same basic concept. Crash bomb sticks to opponents like his down special did. And his missile was always just a sideways PK thunder.
There is more to a moveset than just specials, which is a point that people tend to forget (especially when it comes to Lucas and Wolf). Aside from the fact that both attacks are remote-controlled, there aren't really a whole lot of similarities between PK Thunder and Snake's stinger missiles, and there are virtually no similarities between Crash Bomber and C4. In addition, that's discounting every single A-button attack that Snake has, which plays a large part in his move list.

Braydon

Smash Ace
With that kind of attitude it shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, you practically SPIT in their faces.
I don't really know how I'm spitting in their faces by saying I think the time was better spent on bowser Jr. he's one of the main antagonists in Nintendo's star series and plays incredibly unique. If you consider that offensive it sounds like a personal problem.

The first point is objectively wrong. Snake was announced to be part of the game at launch

As for the "doesn't fit in" comment, that never really made sense to me given that the game is a crossover between tons of series. You wouldn't expect Kirby characters to work within Metroid's setting (for instance, you'll never see enemies like Kraid or the Parasite Queen from Metroid Prime as bosses in a Kirby game), but Smash Bros. puts them side by side without a second thought. As well, both Sakurai and Iwata clearly disagree on that aspect when it comes to characters like Snake and Sonic.

There is more to a moveset than just specials, which is a point that people tend to forget (especially when it comes to Lucas and Wolf). Aside from the fact that both attacks are remote-controlled, there aren't really a whole lot of similarities between PK Thunder and Snake's stinger missiles, and there are virtually no similarities between Crash Bomber and C4. In addition, that's discounting every single A-button attack that Snake has, which plays a large part in his move list.
Ya I think it's normal to go by release date, kind of more important you know. Actually you know they normally start with smaller teasers and go into more details and important stuff later.

Quoting an interview that seems to be around 7 years old to claim Sakurai agrees with you is just silly. He didn't include snake so he might have changed his mind at some point between now and then. He definitely didn't think he was the best choice or snake would be in now wouldn't he?

I'd already addressed that some of his smashes weren't represented or his down special. His tilts and stuff, were really pretty basic melee, don't see why it's so important to keep them in.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I don't really know how I'm spitting in their faces by saying I think the time was better spent on bowser Jr. he's one of the main antagonists in Nintendo's star series and plays incredibly unique. If you consider that offensive it sounds like a personal problem.
You expect people to not react negatively to you saying that THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER IS INFERIOR TO YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER? And then proceed to bash him just by saying he's a militaristic guy who has nothing unique about him when in reality he has a lot of moves in Brawl that were never before seen in a smash game like mines and grenades and a style of play (trap-setting) that was also unprecedented, or at least to the level Snake can do? There's a lot a 'militaristic guy' can offer you know. Plus, Bowser Jr. if I recall correctly also has a large hatebase. Metal Gear is also very popular, one of the most popular series out there, and Snake also plays incredibly unique too.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
Right did someone just argue against a mario character and then bring up popularity as a reason for snakes inclusion. Hmm... top selling video game franchise of all time, probably less popular than metal gear...

Also if you take me not liking your brawl main as a personal insult you should really feel ashamed. If you consider that to be an important part of who you are, if you consider speaking ill of the character to be disrespectful to you personally, if you feel like you need to fight anyone who doesn't like it, I think it pretty much proves your life can be summarized up as "a huge waste of time."

Right did someone just argue against a mario character and then bring up popularity as a reason for snakes inclusion. Hmm... top selling video game franchise of all time, probably less popular than metal gear...

Also if you take me not liking your brawl main as a personal insult you should really feel ashamed. If you consider that to be an important part of who you are, if you consider speaking ill of the character to be disrespectful to you personally, if you feel like you need to fight anyone who doesn't like it, I think it pretty much proves your life can be summarized up as "a huge waste of time."
you are going onto the internet to insult people for liking a character and calling them animals and savages.
someone needs to look at themselves before calling someone else a waste of time

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah okay this is getting to be too much.

Sorry, but if you persist in this manner, I'm getting a mod in here.

Please calm down and be civilised.

In the meantime, don't feed the trolls, people. Carry on and talk about Snake.

Braydon

Smash Ace
you are going onto the internet to insult people for liking a character and calling them animals and savages.
someone needs to look at themselves before calling someone else a waste of time
I see three possibilities for why you'd say this, the first is that you can't read and don't know what is going on, second is your deliberately ignorant of why I'm mad, third is you have less memory than a goldfish and already forgot what we're talking about.

Anyway don't see you as in a position to judge with any of those options so...
Yeah okay this is getting to be too much.

Sorry, but if you persist in this manner, I'm getting a mod in here.

Please calm down and be civilised.

In the meantime, don't feed the trolls, people. Carry on and talk about Snake.
Civilized* you know there is such a thing as a letter "Z" you could use. Now I was trying to have a civilized conversation, but that's not allowed, clearly. Everything is offensive to you and you need to attack me every time I say anything, so I'm done trying to make you happy. I don't think you can be happy, too bloody minded.

When you start a fight and have to get a mod to finish it, that's pretty fricken pathetic. You're always insulting but you can't even insult people right. honestly you should feel ashamed of how bad you are at your little past time.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Civilized* you know there is such a thing as a letter "Z" you could use. Now I was trying to have a civilized conversation, but that's not allowed, clearly. Everything is offensive to you and you need to attack me every time I say anything, so I'm done trying to make you happy. I don't think you can be happy, too bloody minded.

When you start a fight and have to get a mod to finish it, that's pretty fricken pathetic. You're always insulting but you can't even insult people right. honestly you should feel ashamed of how bad you are at your little past time.
I'm European, actually, and we spell it with an S. Please learn to respect other people's cultures before lambasting them for legitimate grammatical concessions, okay?

And happy? Nah, man, I'm dating a hot fox girl and not shouting at strangers on the internet, I'm pretty happy~ <3

But hey, I warned you.

Sorry, but if reason isn't working out for me, maybe a bit of discipline will do the trick.

Spirst

Why must people get into arguments over every little thing?

Drop the insult-flinging already. Calling people on a Smash Bros DLC thread "savages" and "animals" contributes nothing to productivity and more penalties will be given if continued.

Seriously, like you've never got into an argument over someone taking a condescending tone with you.
arguing with a mod

and there is a difference between arguing and insulting :)

alright i'm done feeding the troll for now.
Never played much MGS but good luck to you all. That moveset was fun as hell.

Braydon

Smash Ace
and there is a difference between arguing and insulting :)

alright i'm done feeding the troll for now.
Never played much MGS but good luck to you all. That moveset was fun as hell.
You're right changing the argument to be about how crazy I am for going into the snake thread and saying something that wasn't positive couldn't be in any way seen as condescending or insulting. I'm sure neither could calling me a troll.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Comes into our thread, tells us that Snake shouldn't be in Smash due to reasons already debunked, calls us fanboys and savages, and wonders why we are upset?

Braydon

Smash Ace
Comes into our thread, tells us that Snake shouldn't be in Smash due to reasons already debunked, calls us fanboys and savages, and wonders why we are upset?
I don't have to wonder anything about you. You're mad because someone responded to your insulting tone with insults, and you irrationally believe you should be immune from insults, with no reason. Pretty simple really.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
@ B Braydon
Maybe you should expell yourself from this thread I mean not to say anything but it's obvious that you actually do hate Snake. I happened to come across the Monster Hunter thread in which you posted that "Monster Hunter" has a better chance than him for "reasons". In actuality I could say that " Monster Hunter" has no chance due to him being another Capcom representative which will never happen. So if you're calling us fanboys, that's fine, savages and animals, not so much. No one here attacked you, in fact I was rather polite to you, yet here you are spitting insults at a fan base, I cannot understand the ignaramous logic that was running through your mind during your last 3 posts. Wintropy, by the way, is one of the nicest people on the boards and you've somehow alienated yourself from her. If that doesn't say anything I don't know what does.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
No one here is attacking me, I'm just an ignoramus.

Also I don't have anti-snake bias, and I explained in my thread why I think monster hunter has a chance, it might be the most mutually beneficial third party character for them to add, monster hunter can really use the exposure in America, and I don't think smash has so much popularity among the monster hunter crowd right now, so it's great exposure for both.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
On a completely different note, who else here thought Snake was legit one of the most attractive male characters in Smash? He's beautiful, man. The face. The voice. The butt. And that leapord-skin alt was the most hilariously tacky thing I've ever seen.

I remember the first time I watched this video. I was so hyped. I had only the vaguest idea of who Snake was. I was confused as to why Kirby was boiling Mario alive like a lobster. The Smash4 trailer was awesome, but the expectations this created coming after Melee were unreal. I went to the Dojo every day (although I didn't know it didn't update on weekends...). I remember the "false prophets" on GameFAQs and that one guy who said "there's this kirby item where you collect three pieces and it lets you do a thing and Lucario's in the game." Everyone laughed at him. When the Dragoon item was revealed, all I could think of was "wow, I was privy to a real leak." I remember people legitimately arguing Olimar was "too small" for Brawl and feeling so smug and superior when he was unveiled. It was crazy and Brawl didn't live up to the hype (it was honestly impossible), but those were good times.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I don't have to wonder anything about you. You're mad because someone responded to your insulting tone with insults, and you irrationally believe you should be immune from insults, with no reason. Pretty simple really.
Yeah I'd be pretty upset when someone calls us savages just because we support a character. I don't go in the monster hunter thread and tell people why monster hunter shouldn't be in, then proceed to insult people for obviously defending him.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No one here is attacking me, I'm just an ignoramus.

I never implied that you were igneramous, I stated your logic for the past post was.
Also I don't have anti-snake bias, and I explained in my thread why I think monster hunter has a chance, it might be the most mutually beneficial third party character for them to add, monster hunter can really use the exposure in America, and I don't think smash has so much popularity among the monster hunter crowd right now, so it's great exposure for both.
Ya he definitely has a better chance than snake, Metal Gear Solid 5 comes out on both competing consoles and not Nintendo consoles. There's no way that Nintendo is going to do something to promote a game that is only coming to their competitors consoles, plus I hate to break it to people, but snake is really just not that interesting a char.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You are accusing us of attacking you, but when I make one point against Bowser Jr., you completely fly off the rails and attack me far more brutally than I did to you, if that would even count as an attack, which in my opinion it wasn't. In fact, you are one of the few people to push my tolerance, and I typically am pretty peaceful and kind until provoked. I admit, I am not a fan of Bowser Jr., but if the popularity, size, and sales of a franchise really mattered that much, guess how much of the 48 (not counting Miis) character roster would not even be in Smash? And me arguing against a Mario character? I know: Let's bring in an X-Naut into Smash, over Captain Falcon, despite being only appeared in one game and was just a common grunt, and no one can argue against it due to Mario's size and popularity! The Captain is irrelevant compared to Mario despite his Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick being used in an insane amount of memes. You sound like a Bowser Jr. fanboy too, not that I consider it a bad thing, just saying.

Oh and I forgot, Mario has 7 characters in this game with numerous trophies, stages, and music. And what does Metal Gear get? Nothing. For a series that has not only been in Smash but also is quite popular, with sales in the millions, that seems to be quite ridiculous when you think about it. Don't talk like the content Mario gets is minuscule. They could've made do with only 5 characters.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Until Sakurai makes a PlayStation All-Stars game I'll support him as DLC for Smash.
Smash could get Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, and Bomberman while PSAS could get Snake, Cloud, Lara Croft, Crash, and Spyro. pls

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just wanna talk about how awesome Solid Snake was in Brawl and how much I enjoyed kicking *** with him, same way I enjoy kicking *** with Rosalina and Mega Man in Smash 4. It's really not that big of a deal whether or not he would return as a DLC character (along with Wolf) but if he did, I will be completely satisfied with the game and decided i t will be the last Smash Bros. I'll ever play (unless these characters I've mentioned makes a return as vets in the next installment).

His inclusion in Brawl is what got me interested in the Metal Gear series, with the first game I've played being the 3DS port of Metal Gear Solid 3. If I ever get the chance, I would definitely spent $300+ on a PS4 just so I could try out Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. Man, I just wish I could play all of the games in the series from start to finish.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I got the demo for Snake Eater 3D and I swear being spotted nearly gave me a heart attack. It's been a couple of minutes and I still feel the palpitations. It doesn't help that the camera is so dang close to the player character (I always zoom out the camera when playing practically anything that lets me control the camera). Obviously I'm super unfamiliar with the controls so after being spotted I spent a couple seconds getting back up from my crouching position, then crouching again, then standing up. I think I killed a guy and put another one to sleep? I ran like the dickens, ended up in a swamp, successfully made a soldier think he was hallucinating, tranquilized him, and then fell off the bridge after being spotted. Not bad for a first try.

I'm going to try again in a while without using my super headphones. All it did was enhance the stark difference between the silence and ALARMS WEEOOWEEOOH, which nearly made me jump out my chair!

EDIT: Noooo, do not tell me this place censors the name of the great English writer Charles Dickens. I thought it was bad at the Shulk social thread with ****son but wow.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Okay, so I got the demo for Snake Eater 3D and I swear being spotted nearly gave me a heart attack. It's been a couple of minutes and I still feel the palpitations. It doesn't help that the camera is so dang close to the player character (I always zoom out the camera when playing practically anything that lets me control the camera). Obviously I'm super unfamiliar with the controls so after being spotted I spent a couple seconds getting back up from my crouching position, then crouching again, then standing up. I think I killed a guy and put another one to sleep? I ran like the ****ens, ended up in a swamp, successfully made a soldier think he was hallucinating, tranquilized him, and then fell off the bridge after being spotted. Not bad for a first try.

I'm going to try again in a while without using my super headphones. All it did was enhance the stark difference between the silence and ALARMS WEEOOWEEOOH, which nearly made me jump out my chair!
You're playing Metal Gear the correct way! You should always feel alarmed during an alert phase.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I was playing the MGS3 Demo today too! Must have gotten spotted at least three times, but managed to get to Sokolov, (Or the 'Thanks For Playing' message) leaving me with a good feeling before school. Looking forward to playing the full game!

Also, any thoughts on Revengeance as a Metal Gear game, and would you recommend it, or should I get the other MGS games like the HD Collection or MGSV?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
**** I don't even remember how many times I've been spotted by enemy forces during my time playing Snake Eater 3D since it's been over 2 years since the last time I've played it. I only remember shooting people and cutting their heads off and feeding them to vultures.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not sure why people say Snake didn't fit in Smash Bros...

When he was already in Smash Bros...

Think about that. It's obviously not a problem.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

It isn't, it just interferes with their little minds on how Smash Bros roster should be.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Also, any thoughts on Revengeance as a Metal Gear game, and would you recommend it, or should I get the other MGS games like the HD Collection or MGSV?
It's probably not for you if you enjoy the sneaking more, since it's RUUULLES OF NAAATUUURE your typical hack and slash. Yes, it's fine as a game, but I prefer the HD collection because it's such a sweet package deal. A remastered MGS2/3 plus an HD port of one of the PSP's best games/arguably the best of the Big Boss saga is hard to pass up, especially if you do have the original Peace Walker to transfer data.

It's common fanbase etiquette to complain about everything and anything.

I just wanna talk about how awesome Solid Snake was in Brawl and how much I enjoyed kicking *** with him, same way I enjoy kicking *** with Rosalina and Mega Man in Smash 4. It's really not that big of a deal whether or not he would return as a DLC character (along with Wolf) but if he did, I will be completely satisfied with the game and decided i t will be the last Smash Bros. I'll ever play (unless these characters I've mentioned makes a return as vets in the next installment).

His inclusion in Brawl is what got me interested in the Metal Gear series, with the first game I've played being the 3DS port of Metal Gear Solid 3. If I ever get the chance, I would definitely spent $300+ on a PS4 just so I could try out Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. Man, I just wish I could play all of the games in the series from start to finish.
Well, GZ/PP are also on the PS3...and if you want to run the series in one go you're better off getting a PS3 and the digital version of MGS1. the HD Collection, and MGS4. It's the cheapest way to get the main games.

Top Bottom