• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
DLC has no bearing on the ESRB rating though right?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hate to be the bringer of some potentially melancholy news, but...

Someone who works in the industry had the opportunity to attend E3 last week and asked a Nintendo Treehouse representative regarding Snake's absence in Smash 4:
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146111268388865
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146503754534914
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146804326748160

Not all is lost, though!
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614148886941302784

If this isn't the case, then maybe the representative is under NDA and could be using this scenario as a smokescreen. What caught me off guard was how the rep said Snake would "never again be included in Smash", but since DLC isn't rated by the ESRB and such, that comment seems to be stretched out a bit.
Thinking about this makes me wonder, isn't smash 4 treated pegi12 in Europe? Isn't that equivalent to teen?(Corect me if I'm wrong.)
I don't know if this is true or not, but it's just so dumb. The base game I can understand, but why not post.
Maybe if we are lucky the next batch is in development and treehouse doesn't know yet.
If Snake IS pre ballot dlc, then I predict he will come out sometime before/after mgsv. This would be the perfect time to release him.
If he doesn't, then we can hope for post ballot dlc.
If he doesn't show up after post ballot, well guys, I think we would need to put snake to rest, for good.

Let's hope sakurai does something about kojima's request.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Still don't trust what Sakurai says, he likes to mislead people. even if he didn't say that, everyone else took it as we probably wont be expecting characters besides Mewtwo for a while. I find it hard to believe they have veterans like Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucas or third party like Ryu and are not working on Wolf, Snake, or even Ice Climbers.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I don't see how the rating thing would have that much impact on Snake. They could totally change Snake's attacks to appear...not so violent. Like, Snake's choke animation (pummel) could be changed to something else entirely. That's just a silly reason not to include him.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Considering how a "developer" said that Snake was never even considered for Smash, I find that hard to believe. Also, if Snake's weapons would effect the rating, then how did ShadOW The HEDGEhog get an E10 rating with all of those guns and weapons? Smash doesn't even have bullets, and ShadOW The HEDGEhog has full on miniguns and other automatic weapons. If that game could get away with an E10 rating, then Snake's Rocket Launchers shouldn't be that hard to pass.
I was thinking the exact same thing the entire day. In addition to having animated blood, Shadow the Hedgehog encompassed a grim tone that felt as though it was pushing the E10 rating.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
DLC has no bearing on the ESRB rating though right?
Dunno where people get this idea.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Downloadable Content
Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

It still has to follow the same general guidelines or it gets rerated.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Hate to be the bringer of some potentially melancholy news, but...

Someone who works in the industry had the opportunity to attend E3 last week and asked a Nintendo Treehouse representative regarding Snake's absence in Smash 4:
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146111268388865
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146503754534914
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614146804326748160

Not all is lost, though!
https://twitter.com/TheRileyLittle/status/614148886941302784

If this isn't the case, then maybe the representative is under NDA and could be using this scenario as a smokescreen. What caught me off guard was how the rep said Snake would "never again be included in Smash", but since DLC isn't rated by the ESRB and such, that comment seems to be stretched out a bit.
oh wow, this is interesting information. I'm not 100% sure I trust the poster, but if it is true this is definitely something we need to take into consideration

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't belive that poster, and so you all should. "Because he is too violent, not good for rating". Look, d*****s, that in BOTH Europe and Japan Smash 4 Got the exact samd rating as Brawl (Pegi 12 and Cero D). Are you Nintendo rep. really that stupid to really think that "Ok, we have all the chars read...OH NO, ERSB WILL GIVE IT THE OLD RATING, LET'S CUT ENTIRELY A TP SERIES. F*** HIS CREATOR AND HIS COMPANY AND ALL THE MONEY WE SPENT ON IT, WE F****** WANT TO HAVE JUST THE NA VERSION RATED LOWER THAN BRRRRAWL!!!"
Yeah, I can't see that happening.

And sorry about the rant and scream, but I just wanted to show the flaws in this logic.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Do characters you haven't purchased appear in online battles? I imagine this would a problem when it comes to DLC characters. Still, they could further soften it up if they really felt it was necessary. I'm definitely going to be pissed if it turns out he can't make it back in over a minor rating difference in one part of the world (the rating here remains 12+ as it did with Brawl).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
And just another point: what is really that violent in Snake moveset that had ban him?
-Grenades? Sheik had ones.
-Nikita/missiles in Up and Side Smash? The sub-marine weapon shoot similar missiles
-C4/ Down;smash Mines? The proximity bomb is in, and not at all that different.
- grab? Remeber that there is a dog in the game that BITES you in the face for it. And Ryu grabs your chest/neck and does wrestling attack.

We can only conclude that only problem is the Chyper...

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It's the down throw of course. Killing them softly.
Actually, all Snake does is simply put gently them on the floor. He never does anything that resembles a kill.
To me that is way less violent than take people and throw them away.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Do characters you haven't purchased appear in online battles? I imagine this would a problem when it comes to DLC characters. Still, they could further soften it up if they really felt it was necessary. I'm definitely going to be pissed if it turns out he can't make it back in over a minor rating difference in one part of the world (the rating here remains 12+ as it did with Brawl).
The update technically puts the DLC characters in the game. You have to purchase them to unlock them. So, yes, all characters will appear in online play even if you don't have them purchased.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly don't see how Snake's moveset is more violent than say Samus. Samus shoots missiles and uses bombs which is no more violent than Snake's grenades or landmines. The only thing non-rated E about Snake is his choke hold which could easily be replaced by something less violent if it was a serious problem.

Speaking of the whole ESRB thing, why did it even get a rated E rating in the first place? There's not a lot different from Brawl other than the game looking more cartoony.
Dunno where people get this idea.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Downloadable Content
Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

It still has to follow the same general guidelines or it gets rerated.
Didn't see that, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said before though, Snake really doesn't have anything violent in his moveset that would make the game rated T. I mean in a game where you have bombs, missiles, and the ability to set people on fire, having Snake shouldn't be all that problematic. If you want to be on the safe side, just change his choke hold to something less violent.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
It's the down throw of course. Killing them softly.
It's actually the cardboard box. Snake throwing the box away for his taunt represents deforestation and needless waste. Nintendo didn't want to be associated with global warming, so that's why he wasn't in the core roster of Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Kraid and a Giant Kremling boss for Smash Run bosses."

Yeah....

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
What if Snake finally gets in, against all odds, but huge clamors from moral guardians (Moms, ect.) about some military guy being in their children's game force Sakurai to not release him?

Irrational stuff of nightmares, guys. Also, I know it's completely stupid, but Snake being a more realistic portrayal of an actual fighter (Grenades, rocket launchers ect) does make a bigger stink than Samus having missiles or Bowser Jr blowing people up with his mechakoopas. For some people, a military man chucking grenades is pretty real. Realer than a power suit'd futuristic bounty hunter slinging around bombs and missiles. It's sad how it works, but that is a definite factor.

Won't stop him, though.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
What if Snake finally gets in, against all odds, but huge clamors from moral guardians (Moms, ect.) about some military guy being in their children's game force Sakurai to not release him?

Irrational stuff of nightmares, guys. Also, I know it's completely stupid, but Snake being a more realistic portrayal of an actual fighter (Grenades, rocket launchers ect) does make a bigger stink than Samus having missiles or Bowser Jr blowing people up with his mechakoopas. For some people, a military man chucking grenades is pretty real. Realer than a power suit'd futuristic bounty hunter slinging around bombs and missiles. It's sad how it works, but that is a definite factor.

Won't stop him, though.
But there was any complain for " a realistic soldier who uses real grenedes in my son's game" in Brawl? If there wasn't then it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Who knows how the ESRB will take it, though.
Snake was in dream tv fighters, so lets look at its rating.
Dreamix tv is rated Cero A, which means for "all ages".That is equivalent to E or E 10.
But let us compare how snake appears in each game:

Look at 0:38

That's his grab. He's not choking him, but it seems like he's sticking a c4 on his opponent.

Snake has only one explosive in dreammix tv, the c4. Brawl has Nikita missles, mines, and his side smash(forgot the name.)

The big red flag to me, is the lack of choking. I feel like they could get rid of it, but IDK.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Won't stop him, though.
In an age where we always hear about violence in the news and stuff, I don't see how it's a big deal. Especially considering the fact that these parents have no problem buying their kids CoD and other rated M FPS's so Snake in the game shouldn't even be a big problem. I'd argue Samus is just as "violent" as Snake given that she's a bounty hunter for crying out loud. I know i'm sorta overreacting here but there's no way I want Snake's chances of getting back in to the game screwed over by soccer moms.

Snake is obviously my No. 1 pick out of the group though Wolf and IC's are my No. 2 and No. 3 picks respectively. It would be great if all 3 could get in game though the IC's chances are looking a bit grim unless theirs a miracle and Sakurai says he found a solution to their 3DS problem.

Honestly, Snake, IC's, Wolf, K. Rool, and Isaac would be the best way to go about the rest of DLC IMO. Seeing as Sakurai can only make "several" more characters, it would be a good way to make people happy about the roster and for it to be well rounded.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Could someone check the ERSB rating for brawl for a reason it was given a T rating?
Cartoon violence and crude humor (probably referred to Wario's farts) plus online features.

I really don't see problems regarding Snake...

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Cartoon violence and crude humor (probably referred to Wario's farts) plus online features.

I really don't see problems regarding Snake...
"Mei Ling, Samus just took her clothes off!"

I just found the problem. Hopefully they'll change that...

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
As a Rayman and Snake supporter, I hope these two will be confirmed as DLC in a Nintendo Direct on September 1st.
Why?
Not only does MGS V release that day, but Rayman is also celebrating his 20th birthday.
As unlikely as it is, I hope that's how they're unveiled.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I just realized something; If the reason why Snake isn't in Smash 4 is because of the presence of realistic looking weapons, Smash 4 already has the presence of realistic looking weapons without Snake! For example:

The ESRB does rate trophies. The Tharja trophy was removed due to the E10 rating, and Sharla's rifle is clearly ok.

As long as weapons don't shoot bullets, I think they would be fine for Smash. With this logic, Snake's explosives are probably ok. Idk if this is a bad example, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I just realized something; If the reason why Snake isn't in Smash 4 is because of the presence of realistic looking weapons, Smash 4 already has the presence of realistic looking weapons without Snake! For example:

The ESRB does rate trophies. The Tharja trophy was removed due to the E10 rating, and Sharla's rifle is clearly ok.

As long as weapons don't shoot bullets, I think they would be fine for Smash. With this logic, Snake's explosives are probably ok. Idk if this is a bad example, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
Yeah that is pretty weird.
I personally think that treehouse guy may have been just speculating.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah that is pretty weird.
I personally think that treehouse guy may have been just speculating.
Yeah. We can't trust them just because they work at NoA. Smash informations have always been top-secret, and even inside the Treehouse just the member in charge of Smash could have seen it. They even had to close the doors and the windows when trying Pac-Man! Besides, do you remember that Treehouse member who said to a GameXPlain guy that there would have been Kraid and a Giant Kremlin as Smash Run bosses? There isn't trace of them (thanks to Swapsaur for remebering it)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As a Rayman and Snake supporter, I hope these two will be confirmed as DLC in a Nintendo Direct on September 1st.
Why?
Not only does MGS V release that day, but Rayman is also celebrating his 20th birthday.
As unlikely as it is, I hope that's how they're unveiled.
Honestly, this would pretty much the ideal for me. Aside from Bayonetta (who doesn't seem all that likely), these two would be the only third party characters that I'd really want, so getting them both at once (especially when there's so much uncertainty over how many DLC characters we're getting, and for all we know, we could only be getting two more characters to coincide with those two placeholder "Mario"s) would be absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I doubt were getting more than one third party character TBH. I would much rather have Snake in over Rayman. If anything, Rayman can be the face of third party newcomers in Smash 5 just like how Sonic was for Brawl and Megaman was for Sm4sH.

It would also make sense given that every Smash Bros game gets 2 third party newcomers.

Brawl: Sonic and Snake
Sm4sH: Megaman and Pac - Man
Smash 5: Rayman and Bomberman

That way, we could insure that Snake gets in future Smash Bros games while having characters like Rayman and Bomberman in the future.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I doubt were getting more than one third party character TBH. I would much rather have Snake in over Rayman. If anything, Rayman can be the face of third party newcomers in Smash 5 just like how Sonic was for Brawl and Megaman was for Sm4sH.

It would also make sense given that every Smash Bros game gets 2 third party newcomers.

Brawl: Sonic and Snake
Sm4sH: Megaman and Pac - Man
Smash 5: Rayman and Bomberman

That way, we could insure that Snake gets in future Smash Bros games while having characters like Rayman and Bomberman in the future.
Actually, Smash 4 had three third party newcomers.
Ryu, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

Top Bottom