• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
"Kraid and a Giant Kremling boss for Smash Run bosses."

Yeah....
Thats the first thing i thought of, so yeah nothing to see here guys. Until sakurai says something himself, none of these supposed mentions offhand from nintendo reps mean jack. Especially the rating parts, snake was designed for brawl in a way that could avoid any of that, so anyone taking that up as the reason clearly thinks that he somehow has changed since then.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
If anything, Rayman can be the face of third party newcomers in Smash 5 just like how Sonic was for Brawl and Megaman was for Sm4sH.
Pretty sure Snake was the face of third parties in Brawl, being the first one announced in it, and Smash in general. He was almost a mascot for Brawl with the way the fanbase portrayed him in pretty much all Smash fan stuff. Kinda like how Roy was for Melee and Falcon for Smash as a whole.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure Snake was the face of third parties in Brawl, being the first one announced in it, and Smash in general. He was almost a mascot for Brawl with the way the fanbase portrayed him in pretty much all Smash fan stuff. Kinda like how Roy was for Melee and Falcon for Smash as a whole.
Exactly this. Can't speak for the rest of you, but since Brawl's release in '08, it's as if every Metal Gear or Snake related article on varying gaming sites I came across almost always used this photo, which resulted in me referring it as The Quintessential Snake:

Snake in Brawl certainly did spice up the interest of those uninitiated to the Metal Gear franchise based on comments I've read. Broadening people's horizons to try new games or trek into other franchises is the beauty of Smash -- which is why it's a shame Snake wasn't in the core roster to not only please fans, but to introduce him to yet another generation of players. Snake as Smash DLC would be the perfect sendoff (apart from TPP, hopefully) as Kojima and his posse ride their Metal Gear REXes into the Twin Suns sunset.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Yeah...I really wouldn't take anything the treehouse person said too seriously. I mean, just look at the person's response when asked about T ratings in other places and dlc:

DLC won't affect that rating. Age-rating content above the game's initial classification probably isn't something N wants to do

This person is pretty much unsure of what he was told, and has shown he also knows Treehouse members don't have the best info.
Not to mention...never again?

Another reason to hate treehouse members next to that disappointmentfest of an Xenoblade X direct.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
BTW, don't you find hilarious how people have misread Sakurai's comment about fan service DLC? They think that means just Smash Ballot and no Wolf or Snake!

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Dude, literally everyone seems to think their character has no chance after that article. So much for fan service!

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just realized the background at the top for this page is rainbow colors to support the legalization of gay marriage. Classy, Smashboards. <3 Good on you guys. Made my day.

Snake in Brawl certainly did spice up the interest of those uninitiated to the Metal Gear franchise based on comments I've read.
Yeah, this is true to my friends. Ever since playing Project M with them, they've shown a bigger interest in Metal Gear in general. I even finished marathoning Metal Gear Solid 3 with one of them last night. He loved it, and is ready to start in on Peace Walker. I think MGS3 is a perfect jumping on point for newcomers, since it's considered one of the high points of the series. He was really engrossed in the story. Man, the Boss is one of the best written characters ever. That whole game is just a masterpiece. //End nostalgia fueled praise.//

So cool how Smash can bring franchises together.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Dude, literally everyone seems to think their character has no chance after that article. So much for fan service!
Well except maybe king k rool fans, since he is probably leading the ballot.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Currently, from research. King K. Rool is leading, with Wolf directly behind, Snake behind Wolf, and Isaac behind Snake. So, as long as Sakurai keeps his word about "any character" we'll get those 4 characters sooner or later.

If we're counting only Newcomers it's: K. Rool, Isaac, Rayman, and, I think, Ridley. Maybe, Shauntae, depending on Ridley's situation...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's a good thing :4feroy:was confirmed before that statement from Sakurai so now I won't have to frantically vote for him in the ballot like a madman. :estatic:

Still, I don't take that statement from Massive Hero Soccer Guy to mean that Snake and Wolf's chances are down the drain. He said characters from here on out are going to be "fan service" which really has no implication that pre-ballot is over. If anything, this means that characters like Snake and Wolf have a better chance of getting in seeing as fans really want both to return. Considering that Sakurai said several instead of something like 1 or 2 characters, that means we should be getting a good 3-5 characters before DLC ends. That leads me to think that were getting...

1. Snake
2. IC's (or any easy to make semi-clone if the duo can't work)
3. Wolf
4. K. Rool
5. Isaac

That way, we can have the final roster have a grand total of 60 characters, one of the biggest rosters in fighting game history.

True though Sonic sorta overshadowed him and the attention was mostly on him. In terms of being prominent in the game, Snake was bigger in that regard though popularity wise Sonic was a much bigger deal when he got included.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Smash Bros literally got me in to Nintendo 15 years ago when I was just 5 as it was one the first video games I played in my life. I think I might have played a PKMN game briefly before that but Smash was my real introduction to Nintendo series which is quite different from a lot of people who got in to Smash via Nintendo games.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Smash Bros literally got me in to Nintendo 15 years ago when I was just 5 as it was one the first video games I played in my life. I think I might have played a PKMN game briefly before that but Smash was my real introduction to Nintendo series which is quite different from a lot of people who got in to Smash via Nintendo games.
I have a similar story. I was just 8 and my gaming knowing was very limited (my only consoles were a SNES which was of my mother on which I played Super Mario All Star, World and Parodius, a GBA on which I was playing only Super Mario Bros 3, Pokemon Leaf Green and some Hamtaro games, and a PS2 on whoch I played only Dragon Ball and Godzilla games). I finally managed to get a Wii and my games where just Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sport, Mario and Sonic and Mario Galaxy. When I found out of Brawl, I was interested just for Mario vs Pikachu, since they were almost the only characters I knew in the game (also Sonic, but I have never been interested in him). Afyer playing it I found out a tons of new characters and games to play. I discovered Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Mother and all the other franchise that I now love and can't make me able do left Nintendo consoles. And I also found Metal Gear, which is now my favourite series alongside Pikmin (and of course Smash).

BTW, why is BB without beard and eye patch so similar to my uncle?!?!

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I came from Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda into Smash 64 when I saw Pikachu, Link, and Mario hoppin' around on a random TV screen somewhere. Then learned that all these other Nintendo series existed through it. Then I played most of their games and repeated the process with newcomers in Melee. I branched from a handful of games, to Smash, to a whole lot of games.

Brawl was the first time that I started wanting characters I already knew about added, as my list of games expanded far past those in Smash at the time. Snake came out of left field, but damn did it make me happy. He was a character I loved but never even half expected to ever be in Smash. I actually expected Sonic. I played a lot of Sanic games and knew how huge his fanbase was. But by the time Brawl picked up, Sanic was dying with '06 and I stopped caring. His inclusion barely phased me at the time, definitely not nearly as much as Snake. MK was pretty much the only other newcomer I cared about joining. Everyone else was meh, but Snake overshadowed everything else so I didn't care. I didn't care about the cut Melee veterans too much at the time either, but I came to love Roy and Mewtwo later on. THEN I missed them. Lucas and Pit got me into their games respectively though.

Now in 4, I cared about pretty much no newcomers except Mega Man, and somewhat Little Mac. Everyone else was lackluster, disappointing, or outright ticked me off for getting in over other characters I felt more deserving (like Snake). Even veterans getting BACK in 4 ticked me off, because they got in before Snake and I felt they deserved to be cut far more than he did. I figured both Lucario and Ike would get the Mewtwo and Roy treatment, and when both were announced, it just made me grumble under my breath about how there's still no Snake announced. Ialsodespiselucariowithallofmybeingbutthatsnotthepoint. The difference with this game and the others is it introduced me to nothing and took away what I already liked. My favorite character got ripped out, and then I was presented with a big list of new people I didn't care about, which made it sting twice as hard. I came into 4 with no idea who to actually pick anymore. I sorta just defaulted onto old characters I played like Pikachu and Sheik, but the void could never be filled. And it's sort of sad that every new character I like being announced for 4 is a cut veteran. I actually like Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas more than Ryu and all the new characters combined. But a Snake announcement would invalidate my care for the entire roster, and I reallyreallyreally hope the courtesy they're giving cut veterans will be extended to him too.

And if Wolf, or any of the other ****ing cut Melee clones/pokemon get in and NOT Snake, I'll set Sakurai on god damn fire.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was brought in to Melee by Pokemon, which in turn led me to buy Metroid Fusion, introducing me to that series.

Brawl got me into Metal Gear, and is a reason we got MGS4 and MGS1.

4 brought me into Fire Emblem, making me buy Awakening out of curiosity. Notably, prior to my buying of Awakening, I basically cared for zero of the newcomers. My wants were Mewtwo and Snake. I got one.

*game over screen*

If Sakurai understands the words fan and service, then surely he knows that people want Snake back. But he's only got the ballot to save him now...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If Sakurai understands the words fan and service, then surely he knows that people want Snake back. But he's only got the ballot to save him now...
Not really. Lucas was brought back due to his fan request, and the same goes for Roy and Mewtwo. But there wasn't the ballot at the time, but they still noticed their requests. If they had saw Roy's, I don't see how they haven't saw Snake's. Besides, he is very popular in the ballot, so we are in a good situation.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not really. Lucas was brought back due to his fan request, and the same goes for Roy and Mewtwo. But there wasn't the ballot at the time, but they still noticed their requests. If they had saw Roy's, I don't see how they haven't saw Snake's. Besides, he is very popular in the ballot, so we are in a good situation.
I'd be wary of saying who's popular or not unless it's a really obvious case like King K. Rool. Ballot voting polls really don't mean anything since we know precisely nothing about the actual ballot results.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Smash got me into metal gear, f zero, and street fighter. Most of the other franchises I already knew and liked.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Seriously,I Hope Snake Return,And I Voted For Him In The Ballot,Please Add Me To The Supporters List!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've a question for who have the Solid Snake figma. How does his face looks? I can't tell from the pictures, but I've heard several complaints about it...

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Since we're all telling stories about this.

I'm a bit younger than you old timers, I got started around the PS2. Gaming started with me playing some of the hits on that, like Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter... I never was a huge Nintendo kid. But then, a few years after my mom got me a gamecube. I played the crap out of that thing. I probably have a thousand hours of raising chao in Sonic Adventure Battle 2/Sonic Adventure. Super Mario Sunshine was great. Harvest Moon on the GC was what me and my sisters would play for hours and hours. Aw man, and we can't forget my favorite turn based RPG of all time, Skies of Arcadia. I remember going to a friends' house and playing the MGS1 remake on their cube, and thinking it was the dumbest thing ever. Now Metal Gear is my favorite franchise of all time. xD
I remember getting a Wii, and being so hyped up for it. I distinctly remember playing Twilight Princess, and I think that game really changed my tastes. It wasn't like anything I played before. It was pretty dark (at least to me at the time, I was a kid) and it's still my favorite Zelda game of all time. I play through it every couple years. Jeez, that game got me into Zelda hard. Wasn't long after that I was pulled into the COD/Halo world of gaming. That sucked me up for a few years. A terrible time all around, really. I don't know what I was thinking. (I still love playing older Halo games, though. <3)
Then a good friend (A poster on this site, actually. You know who you are. Handsome b*stard.) got me back into Nintendo stuff. Went out and bought Brawl and all the classics I missed on the Wii, like the Galaxy games. I got way into Project M. Saw Snake, started playing Metal Gear. I've played them all to date. I've beaten every Metroid game (EDIT: EXCEPT FOR OTHER M), have a sizeable library of other great Nintendo titles, and a really nice New 3DS XL.

I'm also really into supporting indie developers (Journey, Limbo, Fez, Shovel Knight anyone?) and have a huge Steam library of great games. As well as a good ole 360 and PS3, with my favorite games of all time, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. <3 Sorry for the long post, just enjoyed typing this out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I really enjoyed riding the hype wave for Smash 4 with you guys. I wasn't really on the Boards at the time, but that was a really great experience I'll never forget. <3

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Woah! I tried to sum up my experience with Smash, and I accidentally went a little bit overboard with the words...
To anyone brave enough to venture through the abyss of letters and grammar mistakes, click that spoiler below. Heed my warning, you don't know what you are getting yourself into once you hit that spoiler!

I got into gaming when I was very little (probably around 1.5-2 years old). My parents owned an NES and the first game I can remember playing was Super Mario Bros. 3 with my brother. I also owned an original GameBoy at around that time, and I remember playing through Pokémon Red version a few times (I had a level 100 Charizard in one of my first playthrough, the only attack I knew how to use was Scratch xD)

At around the time Melee was released, my parents bought an N64, along with 'Mario Kart' and 'Mario Party'. At some point in owning an N64, I received Super Smash Bros. as a Christmas gift. That game introduced me to Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, F-Zero, and Earthbound. I remember being disappointed that I couldn't select Luigi in the character select, as I didn't know he was unlockable. I went into the game blind, so I had no idea who I could unlock in the game (I remember speculating about unlocking Wario, expecting him to throw yellow fireballs). So I decided to play as this cool anime sword dude I never heard of named "Link". I thought link was awesome, and that's what got me hooked to the Zelda series. I remember picking up a copy of 'Ocarina of Time' at a yard sale not long after I played the first Smash, and it was like nothing I ever experienced before!

At that time, I had no idea about Melee or the Gamecube at all. The first experience I had with a Gamecube was playing Melee at a friend's house. I was blown away, the amount of characters you could play as was insane! Link could use his arrows, there were more throws, airdodging, it was insane! After I played Melee for the first time, I would constantly bug my parents to buy me a Gamecube, along with a copy of 'Super Smash Bros. Melee'. After years of bugging, I finally got my Gamecube and Melee! I only played Melee once at my friend's house before I got my own copy, so everything was new to me. Unlocking the characters and stages was one of the most exciting things I ever did in a video game, as I never knew who I was going to unlock next. Melee introduced me to the 'Ice Climbers' and the 'Fire Emblem' series (I knew Game and Watch from a Game and Watch collection game I had on my GameBoy)

Around a year after owning Melee, Brawl was announced, and I was hyped! That first trailer was legendary. Meta Knight, some angel dude I never heard of, Zero Suit Samus, and Wario were announced, all in one crazy cinematic. All of a sudden, ringing sounds, along with the text "AUX CALL PUSH SELECT" appear on the screen. All of a sudden, two characters I didn't know appeared on the screen speaking in Japanese. Then, one of those dudes came out of a cardboard box with the quote, "Show time!". That was the first time I ever saw Snake, and I had no idea what to think. He was another Japanese character who was in a box, I guess that was cool. I would check the 'Smash Bros. Dojo!' every single day hoping for updates and speculating what was going to be announced. As cool as it was seeing characters I knew of getting announced, Snake intrigued me the most. His moveset looked absolutely crazy, like nothing I ever saw in a 'Smash Bros.' game before.

When I got Brawl, as soon as I unlocked Snake, I would constantly play as him. Suddenly, Link wasn't my only main anymore. I picked up 'Twin Snakes', and I absolutely loved it! I became hooked to the Metal Gear series, and it's now one of my favorite video game series of all time. If it wasn't for Brawl, I would have never gotten into the Metal Gear series. He might not be the most "Nintendo" character in Smash, but his presence and content added so much to Smash, it doesn't feel the same without him.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I fondly remember the exact time I got each Smash Bros game.

Smash 64: Fall of 2000
Melee: July of 2003
Brawl: March of 2008
Smash 3DS: November of 2014
Smash Wii U: December of 2014

Each game had their own story to them. Smash 64 was one of the first video games I had ever played in my life so it was a really surreal and fun experience playing the game (and from there on out got me in to Nintendo games). Melee came when I was around 8 years old and I was even more amazed by the extra content that game had over 64 (not to mention I was extremely addicted to the game lol). Brawl came around when I was 12-13 years old and it was the first time I got to witness a Smash game while it was still in development so me and a friend of mine would always speculate what would happen in the game (this was before I was an avid internet user so I only checked the Smash Bros site for info on the game). My mom bought me the game about 2 days after the game was released and I remember being so happy about it that day lol. Brawl also served as a get away from the problems I was facing in Middle School like being bullied and all these other crappy things so that's why I think fondly of the game even if it was a step down from Melee gameplay wise. Smash 4 came out at a time where I was finished grade school and became an adult and it was the first time I followed the game when it was in development via the internet. I was pretty disappointed with the initial roster but I came to like some of the characters and even more so the DLC characters.

I can proudly say that I grew up with this franchise. I got in to this series when I just started grade school and here I am playing the game in my College years.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'd be wary of saying who's popular or not unless it's a really obvious case like King K. Rool. Ballot voting polls really don't mean anything since we know precisely nothing about the actual ballot results.
And even then, we dont know how sakurai is going to decide, they dont even have to give us any results. They will probably just end up giving us a character they claim was heavily requested even if they werent at the top. I dont like k rool though so i have no love for that character (hate me if you will), nothing is for sure at this point, and everyone should keep their expectations in line, even his fans.
I've a question for who have the Solid Snake figma. How does his face looks? I can't tell from the pictures, but I've heard several complaints about it...
Eh its ok, its nowhere near the quality of the promo images (they never are), his beard isnt as dark either. While the sculpt is fine, the finer details arent as good. But from a distance, and considering his size its not too bad.

I took another shot thats up close, and you can see some differently lit shots in the ones i posted before

ExtDoc

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtDoctor
3DS FC
3626-0833-5755
Switch FC
SW-5883-4164-4801
Man, everyone seems to have these touching back stories with Smash, and why they want Snake back. I feel so left out, I just recently got into it. ;(

WanderingChozo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6099-0390
I just want the MGS music back. It was so good. Shadow Moses was one of the stages I picked the most for the music. And Snake is part of that package.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
You youngins' and your PS2s and GBAs, sure makes me feel old. Since we're all sharing our gaming/smash origin tales, I might as well share mine.

I feel so old since I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 was cutting edge. The NES was my system of choice growing up and had spent many hours with Mario, Link, Mega Man, Kirby and the crew. I also watched a cartoon called Captain N the Game Master religiously, which hooked me on the idea of game-crossovers. I remember being really stoked with BattleToads & Double Dragon and Wario taking on Bomberman in Wario Blast, but it was Smash Bros that stole my heart.

I remember one Christmas Eve at a family party, a cousin of mine showed me some magazine that first mentioned the N64 game in development. I don't remember too much of the article, but I was intrigued. It wasn't until I saw an actual gameplay video on some Pokemon fan site that I was sold. It was a match of Link, Yoshi and two others on the old Mario stage and I remember laughing hysterically at Link being eaten by Yoshi and pooped off the edge into the abyss below. I then would read every magazine in the store that had any mention of the game.

I didn't get a chance to play the game until sometime later when I was at a Funcoland store that had it on display. I came in mid-match as the player before me left it paused. I was a blue part-hat Pikachu on the Planet Zebes stage. I remember panicking when the lava came rising up but the top platform was occupied with an enemy Koffing. It was a blast and I immediately began saving for it; finally purchasing the game after a family trip to Colorado.

Years passed and Melee came out, I enjoyed it but never as much as the original. Being able to play was Mewtwo was exciting, but I just wasn't blown away like I was the first game. It wasn't until Brawl when I became huge into the series again. I admit, I wasn't happy to see Snake as I was a purist back then. But after spending time on Nintendo's forums, I warmed up to the idea of third party characters. In fact, to this day, those out of place characters are far more exciting than all the Isaacs and K. Rools of the world.

After playing Brawl, I found Snake to be the most fun character to play as ever. There was so much enjoyment coming from filling the stage with traps and things that go "Boom" that it just isn't the same without him. Sure, I love Pac-Man, Villager and Ryu, but they're no Snake.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
So, guys. I was wondering.
You Snake mains for Brawl/PM, who did you switch to when 4 came out?
Like, since Snake wasn't here, who did you pick up and play instead?

Spoiler tag holds a long and dumb story of how I ended up maining Shulk when the game came out. Insomnia sucks, guys.

I was pretty bummed when Snake didn't return, but I didn't sweat it too hard at the time. (Now, though... I have a feeling I'll always have a sour taste in my mouth playing Sm4sh if he doesn't get back in) Why? It was Shulk time now, baby!
I remember getting pretty heavy into Xenoblade (Shulk's home game) when I saw a few episodes of an LP on Youtube. After around the third episode, I knew I had to have the game. The story and characters seemed so good, and oh jeez, as a huge RPG fan, the gameplay seemed deliciously and wonderfully complex.

I tried finding the game, but that's when I learned it never did make it to North America. Just Europe/Japan I believe. Copies of the game were rare, and some on ebay went for around 120 bucks. I was absolutely crushed. Then, my good friend (Yes you ya joker) snagged a lucky used copy at gamestop when I wasn't looking. Again, I was CRUSHED. I remember heading over to his house to play it with him, and we had a ton of fun figuring out about the mechanics and stuff. It was his first RPG.

Just a week or two later, after complaining about not having/not being able to find the game anywhere to that same dude, this guy, this crazy guy (read: the good friend mentioned above) just waltzes into my house and offhandedly hands a bag to me. I reached inside and pulled out (I'm pretty sure it was brand new, I can't remember) a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles.
I almost cried, holy crap. I couldn't believe he was able to snag a copy for me. To this day I'm pretty sure that's the nicest thing anyone's ever just randomly done for me. I spent the next two weeks just tearing that game apart.

Just after I think the 60% mark, I got super burned out and couldn't play it for months. I still haven't finished it. I'm waiting a while before I finish that sucker off. I want to be able to really enjoy it. Luckily, it got ported to the 3DS a while ago. I plan to grab that version and take it nice and slow. When that same friend showed me the Shulk trailer for Sm4sh, I was so pumped to play him. Whew!

Shulk was amazing. I loved everything about him. I played him nonstop for weeks. The way you could string things like nair and dtilt just made him feel so fluid. After I got a hang of the arts, I loved zipping offstage to edgeguard or gimp opponents with Jump or approaching with a gorgeous string courtesy of Speed. He felt great to me.

Now I don't play him as much, but he's got a soft spot in my heart. It's all 'ninjas and Meta Knights and Lucas' now. And Villager. Mph.

Who do you guys play, and why? How'd you end up playing them?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Spoiler tag holds a long and dumb story of how I ended up maining Shulk when the game came out. Insomnia sucks, guys.

I was pretty bummed when Snake didn't return, but I didn't sweat it too hard at the time. (Now, though... I have a feeling I'll always have a sour taste in my mouth playing Sm4sh if he doesn't get back in) Why? It was Shulk time now, baby!
I remember getting pretty heavy into Xenoblade (Shulk's home game) when I saw a few episodes of an LP on Youtube. After around the third episode, I knew I had to have the game. The story and characters seemed so good, and oh jeez, as a huge RPG fan, the gameplay seemed deliciously and wonderfully complex.

I tried finding the game, but that's when I learned it never did make it to North America. Just Europe/Japan I believe. Copies of the game were rare, and some on ebay went for around 120 bucks. I was absolutely crushed. Then, my good friend (Yes you ya joker) snagged a lucky used copy at gamestop when I wasn't looking. Again, I was CRUSHED. I remember heading over to his house to play it with him, and we had a ton of fun figuring out about the mechanics and stuff. It was his first RPG.

Just a week or two later, after complaining about not having/not being able to find the game anywhere to that same dude, this guy, this crazy guy (read: the good friend mentioned above) just waltzes into my house and offhandedly hands a bag to me. I reached inside and pulled out (I'm pretty sure it was brand new, I can't remember) a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles.
I almost cried, holy crap. I couldn't believe he was able to snag a copy for me. To this day I'm pretty sure that's the nicest thing anyone's ever just randomly done for me. I spent the next two weeks just tearing that game apart.

Just after I think the 60% mark, I got super burned out and couldn't play it for months. I still haven't finished it. I'm waiting a while before I finish that sucker off. I want to be able to really enjoy it. Luckily, it got ported to the 3DS a while ago. I plan to grab that version and take it nice and slow. When that same friend showed me the Shulk trailer for Sm4sh, I was so pumped to play him. Whew!

Shulk was amazing. I loved everything about him. I played him nonstop for weeks. The way you could string things like nair and dtilt just made him feel so fluid. After I got a hang of the arts, I loved zipping offstage to edgeguard or gimp opponents with Jump or approaching with a gorgeous string courtesy of Speed. He felt great to me.

Now I don't play him as much, but he's got a soft spot in my heart. It's all 'ninjas and Meta Knights and Lucas' now. And Villager. Mph.

My story is quite simple. I supported many characters pre-release. Specifically: Little Mac, Shulk, Ike (returning), and Robin. So, really, I already had a huge line-up of potential mains and secondaries. I'm an Ike main for life with pocket Shulk and Little Mac, Robin is a little too slow and a little too weak for my tastes but he/she is fun. I am still super bumbed that Snake didn't make it back. In all honesty, I would give up all four of those I mentioned if it meant having Snake back...

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pikachu was my 64 main, Melee secondary, and Brawl secondary. My Snake was a Pikachu trainer despite what he told Mei Ling, so he's who I most gravitated towards. I also played lots of Sheik and Marth in Melee, Marth in Brawl, and Sheik and Roy in PM. So Sheik got some time in the spotlight for 4, and Roy combined all the stuff I liked about past Marths and Roys and now he's one of my favorites. I experiment with most of the roster too.

Unrelated, I wanna see what BB's eye looks like under that patch nowadays.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Well, in Brawl I have 2 mains, :snake: And :olimar:, so I thought that I was covered when they confirmed the latter. But the 3 Pikmin limit has made most of my strategies harder and not so effective, so I sadly had to search for another main (but I'm still trying to be as good as I was in Brawl with :4olimar:). When the full roster was leaked, I was really bumped about :4drmario:. Since I was at the time a :4mewtwo: supporter, finding him and not the Pokemon has been a Falcon Punch in my stomach. But I was also a little happy, since he was one of my mains in Melee alongside :mewtwomelee: and:pichumelee:, so I restarted to main him. While I was unlocking characters I haven't had any problem to beat them, except for one::4lucina:. She literally surprised me for how strong she was, and I immediately started to main her since she is perfect for my playstyle (WAY more than :4marth:).
I also found out that I'm quite good to use :4ganondorf:.
Than DLC approached, my buddy :4mewtwo: is back, so istant-main. Plus I found really fun and satisfying to play as :4feroy: And :4ryu:.
I don't think I would drop any of them if :snake: returns, but I will surely main him again!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Announcement that Snake is being rerated in RTC today(technically after the day transition, which is tonight).

However, the amount of help I'll be able to grant to Snake's defense is minimal due to the fact that Sylux is also going to be rated alongside him and all of my attention is squarely focused on Sylux.

Hilarious that my top DLC wishes are being rated on the same day.

Top Bottom