• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
OP is updated with the link to the translation. I feel like that's pretty important information.

Also, I think at least one of the skins should be devoted to Big Boss. Although the usual design that Snake had is KINDA a mix of both.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Listening to Calling to the Night. Forgot how sad that song is. (sighs) This just adds to the list of reasons I want Snake to return. So I can hear this beautiful song while battling. It looks like things are pretty dismal for Snake right now, but I haven't given up hope yet. I may not be well versed in the Metal Gear series, so I won't be able to talk much here, but my support is still there. (I need to stop listening to this song. I'm gonna cry. lol)
Am I the only one who thinks this snake is cute? It's just got the happiest smile. (It's probably mad at something, but it's still cute) :3

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We need shirtless Snake as an alt obvs.

Shulk and ZSS get their skimpy stuff so wynaut Snake.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OP is updated with the link to the translation. I feel like that's pretty important information.

Also, I think at least one of the skins should be devoted to Big Boss. Although the usual design that Snake had is KINDA a mix of both.
I know you just revamped the OP, but "So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him." is there twice. Just to let you know.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
What about the tuxedo as an alt costume? The tux has appeared in many MGS games as a reward for completing the game. Plus, I heard that after the success of Goldeneye 64, James Bond was actually considered for Smash 64 and Melee. So why not give a tux to another tactical espionage agent?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

Yes. I would love this. My sister would have a stroke if this happened.

Also where is this important information. Sorry I've been out of the loop.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
About the moveset, I think that they shouldn'y change it. I love both the Nikitas and his Down-Smash (how many battles I won with these two). Maybe they could change the Chyper to a Fulton Ballon, since it fits better the recovery job. Besides, did you know that all Snake's taunt are different? He changes his pose inside the box!

Why not "directly" Naked Snake? :snake:

Tasty

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I think they should change his taunts if he does come back. Despite the different poses he makes when hiding inside the box, it's still basically the same taunt.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they could change the Chyper to a Fulton Ballon, since it fits better the recovery job.:snake:
I would agree, but considering that Fultons are no longer invincible in TPP, do you really want Snake to have a villager recovery? Pop those balloons and down he goes...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I would agree, but considering that Fultons are no longer invincible in TPP, do you really want Snake to have a villager recovery? Pop those balloons and down he goes...
Nope. But they could use the invincible.ones from PW!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, I would honestly prefer characters not being datamined from this point on (unless it's someone like Wolf or K. Rool who we know is pretty much guaranteed to be in the game). Roy being datamined was really disappointing for me because everyone was doubting his chances (whereas I was vocal about him being likely to be in the game) and him being a surprise would have been a great moment.

Snake being a surprise reveal in like a direct or something would be the most hype thing in Smash 4 history IMO given that his chances are questionable as of late. Just imagining a scenario where they show him coming out of a box like he did in Brawl and saying "It's Showtime!" gives me the chills.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Snake being a surprise reveal in like a direct or something would be the most hype thing in Smash 4 history IMO given that his chances are questionable as of late. Just imagining a scenario where they show him coming out of a box like he did in Brawl and saying "It's Showtime!" gives me the chills.
I think I would legitimately cry if Snake made a return like that. In front of all my friends. And my parents. And my girlfriend.

And if he did get a shirtless alt... (I'm thinking the Naked camo from Peace Walker) ((Even though that's Big Boss)) my and my girlfriend would be very, very happy.

Very.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
People are going to datamine whether you like it or not.

Ryu would have been a massive surprise if Nintendo hadn't added those damn sound files.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice

Ryu would have been a massive surprise if Nintendo hadn't added those damn sound files.
Yeah, I think that might have been the single most surprising thing Nintendo had done thus far. Like, in all of Nintendo. I'm a fan of SF and Smash, and I could tell you that I wouldn't have believed my eyes.

I wasn't a part of the Smash community until about six months after Brawl happened, so I don't know how insane the Snake reveal for that was.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

It didn't happen with Mewtwo or Lucas.

I'm honestly thinking that Nintendo was caught off guard with the datamining of Roy and Ryu. Maybe they thought it wouldn't get leaked or something? Now that it did, I don't see why they would do the exact same thing with other characters.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It didn't happen with Mewtwo or Lucas.

I'm honestly thinking that Nintendo was caught off guard with the datamining of Roy and Ryu. Maybe they thought it wouldn't get leaked or something? Now that it did, I don't see why they would do the exact same thing with other characters.
There's no way it could have happened with Mewtwo because it wasn't a thing to be done in the latest patch yet. Remember that when Mewtwo was shown, we were still on the 3DS, and there was no major patch until the Wii U released.

Lucas I can't explain, though.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
There's no way it could have happened with Mewtwo because it wasn't a thing to be done in the latest patch yet. Remember that when Mewtwo was shown, we were still on the 3DS, and there was no major patch until the Wii U released.

I'm sure Nintendo will take every caution to the extreme in keeping the Smash Poll data secure. Like, in a vault buried deep underground in Alaska. (Heh, the first MGS.) With soldiers patrolling. And cameras. And the vault will have six doors with freaking keypads and hand scanners and a voice recognition system (Sakurai has to do his Dedede voice to unlock it.)

Somewhere even the likes of Snake and Sly Cooper can't sneak into.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Theoretically speaking, he would be in the data in any pre-1.0.6 version no? Lucas would be in one of those updates as well.

I honestly believe Roy and Ryu were put in by accident or at least didn't have their files taken out before the release of 1.0.6. hence dataminers getting their hands on it.

I'm sure Nintendo will take every caution to the extreme in keeping the Smash Poll data secure. Like, in a vault buried deep underground in Alaska. (Heh, the first MGS.) With like (not genome) soldiers patrolling. And cameras. And the vault will have six doors with freaking keypads and hand scanners and a voice recognition system (Sakurai has to do his Dedede voice to unlock it.)

Somewhere even the likes of Snake and Sly Cooper can't sneak into.
It's all locked deep within Area 51.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I would be so happy if they found a sound file that went "bum bum na na na,da da da!"

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
An intentional soundfile of Snake saying "Patience kids! Your going to have to wait until I get revealed" would be jokes.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
By the way, there was a advert in japan advertising the DLC. It focused on Ryu and Mewtwo.

I'm getting the feeling they'll use Snake to sell the next wave of DLC.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I find it hilarious how out of several parody Smash videos, or videos about Smash, Snake seems to be a highlight fairly often.

There are some animated ones that have Snake show up, but I don't know the names of them. This proves his impact on the series and its fans. If Snake was just a one off character that people don't mind getting cut, then this is even more surprising.

Based on the support here and on social media, I'd like to thank everybody for fighting the good fight and supporting Snake no matter what. I'm not entirely sure of what his actual chances are of coming back, but there's certainly no reason to stop now.

In my honest opinion, the fact that Nintendo seems to be the one keeping Snake out seems rather ****ty to me. They allowed him into the game once, exposed fans to Snake, created a Smash fanbase for him...and then cut him...? Frankly, I don't care how associated he might be with Sony (which is a crap excuse anyway). You forced Sakurai to cut a character that was very well received by the fans. Now you arbitrarily allow Ryu into Smash?

No disrespect to Ryu. I think he's a great character, and I welcome his inclusion. He's certainly a video game all-star. Adding another 3rd Party character of his caliber is great for Smash in my opinion.

However, it frustrates me that Nintendo gets on a "high horse" of sorts and seemingly only deals with what it wants. I could understand turning Snake away if he'd never been in, but you already let him in once. Why start now? Why AFTER you created a fanbase?

It's not Konami's fault you don't have a strong console that can properly play Metal Gear. It's also not Konami or Kojima's fault that YOU haven't created some sort of audience for the series.

I love Nintendo from the bottom of my heart, but they get too far up their own asses. They don't always go out of their way to please the fans. In a way, I kind of AM blaming them for keeping Snake out. He's one of the most unique characters in Smash history, and one of the biggest names in gaming. The whole situation is messy, but I personally believe they went about it all wrong.

As a console maker, Nintendo is the one who needs to convince other sellers to bring their product to their platform. Could you blame Konami for not putting mainstream MGS titles on Nintendo platforms? I can't. They'd be losing money doing so. That's not how business works.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Fan bases are cut all the time from Smash, each for their own(usually undisclosed) reason. Whether they are brought back or not, they were still cut once and leave a sour taste.

-Young Link(Jesus, the RTC thread when YL was rated was insane)
-Wolf(who, while I don't care if he returns or not. I will be baffled if he doesn't return)
-Roy(skipped Brawl, made the butt of jokes for months in Sm4sh and still gets satirized despite his return)
-Ice Climbers(this is no less painful to their fans because there was an explicit reason, if anything it makes people hate the 3DS version)
-Lucas(and there were people who thought Mother 3 would be on VC at E3 because of him getting back...keep dreaming)
-Pokemon Trainer(who most people agree was done poorly, reduced to a trophy in Sm4sh)
-Snake(can we get an explicit firetrucking reason why he was shelved)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
-Snake(can we get an explicit firetrucking reason why he was shelved)
That more then anything is what i want to know. If they dont ever intend to bring him back, at least give us a viable reason, no skirting around the issue or any of that crap. I assume the reason it hasnt been asked yet is that they probably pick and choose what questions he can answer and which ones he cant. I dont think we will get the chance to have the media talk to sakurai directly, but it would be nice if someone could slip that in at some point.

D

Deleted member

Might want to reign in your dogs of war there, Scoliosis.
We don't actually know if Nintendo was the sole reason Snake wasn't in the base games. We can only theorize that they had a role based on their feelings on Snake before Sakurai convinced them Snake was a good idea.

While Sakurai was how Snake got in Brawl, he still could very well have played a role in Snake's absence. Not out of malice, I would imagine.

Furthermore, while it's not Konami's or Kojima's fault for Nintendo not having hardware for high-scale games such as MGSV, it's not Nintendo's fault that there are no Metal Gear games made for the hardware they do have.
The Gamecube could handle Twin Snakes.
The 3DS could handle Snake Eater.

Why in the bloody Hell can the Wii U not get a Metal Gear of it's own, even if it wouldn't be V?
Just because Kojima "doesn't know what to do with the Gamepad"? Give me a break.
Kojima/Konami are just as bad when it comes to excuses as Nintendo is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The whole "one time deal" reminds me a whole lot of peoples perception of Roy being cut post-Brawl. They were convinced that he was just there to promote FE6 (which actually is true but not the entire reason for him being Melee) and that Ike being in the game meant he was permanently replaced (despite Ike being a stand alone character; not intending to replace anyone as evident by Roy's files in the game). Then came all the lies about him not being liked in Japan (the farthest thing from the truth mind you) as well as all the ad hominem insults to Roy supporters for supporting "another clone"

Snake is almost in the same boat post-Sm4sH (though he doesn't suffer from the same kind of hate Roy got for his clone status and whatnot). Snake not being in the game was, according to some people proof that Snake was a one time deal and that he would never be able to return to Smash Bros despite their not even being a reason stated by Sakurai for him being cut. Then theirs the whole "Snake is more associated with Sony and doesn't have many games on Nintendo consoles" which is actually pretty hilarious considering :4ryu:has his next major game on the PS4 and not the Wii U.

What I learned from supporting these 2 characters is that haters make up stupid reasons for characters being cut from a Smash Bros game and when the character does end up coming back, they look stupid as hell for asserting unsupported claims for said character(s) not returning.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Why in the bloody Hell can the Wii U not get a Metal Gear of it's own, even if it wouldn't be V?
Just because Kojima "doesn't know what to do with the Gamepad"? Give me a break.
Oddly, I wanted a MGR with special content like Raiden using both the Master Sword and the Falachion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Might want to reign in your dogs of war there, Scoliosis.
We don't actually know if Nintendo was the sole reason Snake wasn't in the base games. We can only theorize that they had a role based on their feelings on Snake before Sakurai convinced them Snake was a good idea.

While Sakurai was how Snake got in Brawl, he still could very well have played a role in Snake's absence. Not out of malice, I would imagine.

Furthermore, while it's not Konami's or Kojima's fault for Nintendo not having hardware for high-scale games such as MGSV, it's not Nintendo's fault that there are no Metal Gear games made for the hardware they do have.
The Gamecube could handle Twin Snakes.
The 3DS could handle Snake Eater.

If Sakurai was the guy who Snake into Smash, I can't possibly imagine he would have left him out.

The reason I say it's Nintendo's fault is mainly because it just isn't feasible for there to be a Metal Gear on their systems. Or so it seems. I'm not even talking graphics, i'm talking the economic feasibility. If they're losing money even porting MGSV to the Wii U, why bother?

The main reason I say that is because I see users on here all the time complaining that, "X doesn't support Nintendo, therefore they shouldn't be in Smash". Would YOU support Nintendo if your product didn't sell well?

If I remember correctly, Kojima had interest in doing something unique with the Gamepad for Metal Gear (probably wont happen now), but it wouldn't be MGSV necessarily.

As far as who's to blame for Snake not being in, I can't help but believe it was Nintendo. They were the ones who had an issue with him in the first place, Konami has little to no reason to not allow him, Kojima WANTED him, and Sakurai apparently had no issue in the first place. To me, that means it's Nintendo.

I probably came off real pissed off and what not. But I'll admit, I'm salty about it. Brawl introduced me to MGS, and it's one of my favorite series now. Snake became my main in Brawl and now he's gone. Probably for nothing else than Nintendo still thinking he's "too Sony" despite the incredibly positive reaction to his inclusion.

Maybe it's not entirely fair to blame Nintendo for it, but it's hard not to when I look at their 3rd party support in general. It sucks. They rely way too heavily on their own properties and it's hurting them. They haven't learned from past mistakes. If they had a focus on third party titles, perhaps like Metal Gear, their consoles would be doing better.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ehh, does kojima have a say in which platforms mgsv comes to? I figured it was more of a konami decision to not bring the game to wii u. By that point, all 3rd parties were abandoning wii u. Sure I would love a metal gear game on wii u, but it isn't going to happen now. Maybe back in 2012/13, there was hope, but now, no one expects 3rd party to come to the wii u.

As for the gamepad comment, I thought he said he wanted to make a game talored for the wii u, rather than simply port a multiplat title. MGS V isnt made with the gamepad in mind. Most wii u owners already own another a secondary platform(pc,xbox,ps4), so why would they buy it on wii u instead of their secondarie platform, which will be much better suited to play that game? I agree with kojima that a unique mgs title would be better for the wii u, but I am also disappointed that we will never see that title.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai was the guy who Snake into Smash, I can't possibly imagine he would have left him out.
As far as who's to blame for Snake not being in, I can't help but believe it was Nintendo. They were the ones who had an issue with him in the first place, Konami has little to no reason to not allow him, Kojima WANTED him, and Sakurai apparently had no issue in the first place. To me, that means it's Nintendo.
Consider this, which I recently realized:

In order to get Snake in Brawl, several parties had to come together on an agreement. Sakurai, Kojima, Nintendo, Konami, and other unmentioned individuals.

For Smash 4, it seems there wasn't even any discussion. No contact between the parties. Just Kojima off-handedly requesting Snake's return in an interview "if Sakurai is seeing this" after stating that he had no involvement in Smash 4's development (he personally designed the Shadow Moses Island stage among other things for Brawl) and that Snake returning was "unlikely" as if he didn't know for sure despite the games being nearing completion.

Also, unlike what happened in Brawl, the guests were all decided upon and negotiations with their owners were made early on.
With Mega Man literally taking the Metal Gear music section in the data for his own series and the 3 guest limit possibly carried over from Brawl (though Ryu proves that DLC is fair game), it could very well be that Snake was edged out in favor of the Blue Bomber due to the fan demand he had since Brawl's development.

Which would be a Sakurai decision rather than Nintendo forcing him to do it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally, I don't think that Nintendo is what had kept Snake out (I can't see them kept out a so well received veteran and then add :4ryu:, who is in the same situations of Snake). I think that the problem was... Sakurai. He always wanted to have less TP as possible. Now he add Sonic and Mega Man for their huge fan request, while Pac-Man (and possibly Ryu) where put for contracts. Maybe he decided to put his personal choice in low priority. Or maybe the only problem was getting the rights for use Snake, since with TPP I' m sure that the price is very high.

Or both Sakurai and Kojima agreeded to cut him from the regular roster and add him later as DLC for not spoil anyone the presence of Hayter as Solid in TPP. You know, they are masters in trolling.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Also, unlike what happened in Brawl, the guests were all decided upon and negotiations with their owners were made early on.
With Mega Man literally taking the Metal Gear music section in the data for his own series and the 3 guest limit possibly carried over from Brawl (though Ryu proves that DLC is fair game), it could very well be that Snake was edged out in favor of the Blue Bomber due to the fan demand he had since Brawl's development.
I think this is possible. Though we're not privy to details of the contracts made (as far as I'm aware), it's likely a good deal of money changed hands in obtaining Sonic and Mega-Man for this game (revenue percentage and perhaps flat payment). This is an economic motivation that would necessitate being very particular about third parties in the base game, but when it comes to DLC the character is sold directly so agreements like that probably aren't going to be a problem. I'll be stumped if Snake doesn't make it in as DLC however, especially when Ryu has been added without a large demand (I don't hate the character, but I saw few requests for him). I'll be pissed off if we never get a reason why or it transpires they didn't even try to get him back as DLC.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
To sum up the above 10 or so posts:
Why did Snake not come back? Nintendoooooooo!!! Give us a reason! Ryu here and not Snake?! I feel insulted.

All satire aside, (I mean no offense) I am going to be extremely frustrated if he doesn't get back. Doubly so if we don't ever get a legit reason. I'm of the belief he should have been back from the beginning. Why cut him? We still don't know, which is why we're slinging around ideas like "MG hasn't been kind to the U" and "It's complicated, Nintendo would have to get the go ahead from a bunch of companies/people stuff." The fact RYU (Who is great and all, seriously, it's awesome he's in) made it in makes me even more frustrated for some reason.

The more I think about it, the saltier I get. He should have been back, and when he didn't come back we should have gotten a reason. A real reason, not just bull****. Nintendo not even reaching out to get Snake back in just rubs more salt in the wound. Konami and Kojima having literally zero issues with the idea of Snake in Smash just makes it so much worse.

The above arguments of "The U can't run MGS games" are unfortunately, very, very true. I like the U and all, but in my experience, any game that isn't made SPECIFICALLY for the Wii U runs/plays pretty garbage on it. A MG game built around the Wii U could have been really cool, but unfortunately because the U is generally overshadowed by the other next gen consoles when it comes to... Basically, any game not endorsed by Nintendo. xD Seriously, try playing something like Splinter Cell: Blacklist or Black Flag on a U. It's pretty painful.

Again, the Wii U is a fine console. It just seems like when it comes to publishers who are also releasing their games on other consoles, the U is trash. Can't blame Konami for that one.

I should really stop. I meant this to be a little joke making fun of how salty you guys are, but now I'm more salty than all of you. Too salty to coherently argue. So I'm going to finish this wine and go to bed.

(Probably removing this in the morning)

Top Bottom