• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Pardon the double post, tags don't work on post edits so feel free to merge this post with the above once it's fulfilled it's purpose.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones

"This is a once in a lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out there and show them what you're made of. No regrets."

-Roy Campbell, SSBB Snake Trailer

The prospect of DLC was still shrouded in mystery when Mewtwo was first revealed. Now, with the return of Brawl veteran Lucas, veteran DLC seems all the more likely. Here, we show why our sneaky and missed veteran Snake should return to the Smash lineup.

Remind me who Snake was, just in case.

Absolutely. Snake(and his Big Boss counterpart who shares the name) is the protagonist of(the majority of) the Metal Gear games, ranging from the classic Metal Gear on the NES to the mainstream Solid titles which were released on several platforms, but none more notable than the Sony PlayStation line.

As for his position in Super Smash Brothers, Snake joined the roster of Brawl as a request from Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima to Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai. Kojima originally wanted Snake to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Nintendo GameCube, but it was too far in development, and thus was later saved for Brawl, famously revealed to the utter shock of many at E3 2006, thus granting Snake the honor of being the first third-party character to join Smash.

Oh, that guy. Why should he come back?

Snake was one of the most well-received newcomers to Brawl, and one of the more sorely missed cuts from U/3DS. He had a very unique and fun moveset, high popularity in tournaments, and a fun Easter egg in the form of the codecs that can be triggered on his home stage, Shadow Moses Island. Needless to say, Snake had a lot going for him in Brawl, and to see him cut from the next game's roster is disappointing. But, with DLC now possible, the return of Lucas, another cut veteran, and the ongoing Smash Ballot, the living legend can be brought back to duel with Nintendo's All-Stars and his third-party brethren.

The guy has no history with Nintendo, though.

False. Snake has appeared in many games on Nintendo consoles. Here is a list:

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)
New International Track & Field - Nintendo DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship - Game Boy Advance
Evolution Skateboarding - Nintendo GameCube

That's a lot of history. When his first game appeared on a Nintendo console, that's a pretty hard fact to ignore.

Uh...he wouldn't fit in. Look at this roster!

This argument has a few ways to be seen, and all of them can be contested:

-If his realistic appearance is the issue, then logically, Shulk and Zero Suit Samus don't fit either. Why would Snake's look be a negatively impacting black sheep?

-If his overall theme(hyper realistic military guy) is off putting, consider that Smash Bros. has a lot of characters from different themes that would otherwise not mesh; as one of many possible examples, a hyper-futuristic bounty hunter(Samus) fighting a genetically cloned, psychic Pokemon(Mewtwo). Both characters have wildly different themes to them, and don't mesh at all, but Smash Bros. is a crossover, it's not supposed to make sense. Why Snake would suddenly be the exception is confusing.

Man, but that's too many third parties for Smash!

We have Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man as the current third parties in a roster of 53(counting Lucas). Including Snake would only make it 1/13th of the roster at best. If there were, say, ten third parties and Snake on the possible list, then there would be a problem, but as it stands, the selection of third parties is still very minimal.

Snake has had no recent games on Nintendo consoles. He's not relevant to the company.

That didn't stop Mega Man. Look how Capcom has treated him, and yet he still got in. And Snake already fits the criteria of having appeared on a Nintendo console; several times. On top of that, he was already in Smash, so of course he would be relevant.

Ryu's coming, that should stop Snake!

Hold up. Ryu is not only not guaranteed as of now, but Ryu getting in would solidify Snake's chances. Why?

Street Fighter hasn't had mainline games on Nintendo consoles since Street Fighter 2, and another third party would be joining the cast. Both are reasons commonly used against Snake, i.e relevancy on Nintendo consoles and the doubts of third-party DLC.

So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him.

Hey, KONAMI has issues with Kojima leaving and stuff!

This is frequently brought up. It is true that there is an ongoing issue at Konami in regards to Kojima, but that still doesn't stop Snake. Konami still owns the character, so they can arrange his appearance as DLC if need be. The only true roadblock that could happen would be if Konami stopped supporting other consoles; which they haven't.

And besides, Konami is in favor of voting for Snake in the Smash Ballot if this retweet is to be believed.

So even this isn't an issue unless Konami says so.

Okay...what can I do to help?

It's simple. Vote for Snake in the Smash Ballot, maybe wear one of the emblems below in your signature, and just spread the word in general. The more, the merrier. Only with your help can we make it known that Snake should come back.

Promo images

Supporter List

Vote now, and don't let Snake keep us waiting no more!

Feel free to suggest edits. I'm sure that I missed something and I'd like feedback before updating.

Okay, massive tagfest thank you list for the construction of this revamped OP:

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones for this thread in the first place
@Swampasaur for the "Metal Gear on Nintendo Consoles" list
@ Zajice Zajice and @ CaptainCrisb CaptainCrisb for 3D model reference/splash card from model(these tags didn't work because apparently a / messes it up)
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux for first promo image and "Soldier Of Fortune" banner
@ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss for ticket promo image and the last promo image

And a last thing...if there's someone brave enough to roam 160 pages and get the names of every supporter and dump them here, I'd be eternally grateful.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh man, the OP was being given away? I missed my chance to snatch it...

And that old terrible image I made? I have so many better ones than that.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh man, the OP was being given away? I missed my chance to snatch it...

And that old terrible image I made? I have so many better ones than that.
>mfw your reaction

If you have better images, then bring them here and I'll add them.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Why in the world am I going to do this?

I will be willing to search through 160 pages
Take your time, this isn't urgent.

Remember not to post it as tags though, just as a name list, we don't want to unnecessarily tag a bunch of folk for no reason.

D

Deleted member

If this hasn't been discussed already...

Snake's new home stage, what could it BE?!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Pardon the double post, tags don't work on post edits so feel free to merge this post with the above once it's fulfilled it's purpose.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones

"This is a once in a lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out there and show them what you're made of. No regrets."

-Roy Campbell, SSBB Snake Trailer

The prospect of DLC was still shrouded in mystery when Mewtwo was first revealed. Now, with the return of Brawl veteran Lucas, veteran DLC seems all the more likely. Here, we show why our sneaky and missed veteran Snake should return to the Smash lineup.

Remind me who Snake was, just in case.

Absolutely. Snake(and his Big Boss counterpart who shares the name) is the protagonist of(the majority of) the Metal Gear games, ranging from the classic Metal Gear on the NES to the mainstream Solid titles which were released on several platforms, but none more notable than the Sony PlayStation line.

As for his position in Super Smash Brothers, Snake joined the roster of Brawl as a request from Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima to Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai. Kojima originally wanted Snake to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Nintendo GameCube, but it was too far in development, and thus was later saved for Brawl, famously revealed to the utter shock of many at E3 2006, thus granting Snake the honor of being the first third-party character to join Smash.

Oh, that guy. Why should he come back?

Snake was one of the most well-received newcomers to Brawl, and one of the more sorely missed cuts from U/3DS. He had a very unique and fun moveset, high popularity in tournaments, and a fun Easter egg in the form of the codecs that can be triggered on his home stage, Shadow Moses Island. Needless to say, Snake had a lot going for him in Brawl, and to see him cut from the next game's roster is disappointing. But, with DLC now possible, the return of Lucas, another cut veteran, and the ongoing Smash Ballot, the living legend can be brought back to duel with Nintendo's All-Stars and his third-party brethren.

The guy has no history with Nintendo, though.

False. Snake has appeared in many games on Nintendo consoles. Here is a list:

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -NES
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)

That's a lot of history. When his first game appeared on a Nintendo console, that's a pretty hard fact to ignore.

Uh...he wouldn't fit in. Look at this roster!

This argument has a few ways to be seen, and all of them can be contested:

-If his realistic appearance is the issue, then logically, Shulk and Zero Suit Samus don't fit either. Why would Snake's look be a negatively impacting black sheep?

-If his overall theme(hyper realistic military guy) is off putting, consider that Smash Bros. has a lot of characters from different themes that would otherwise not mesh; as one of many possible examples, a hyper-futuristic bounty hunter(Samus) fighting a genetically cloned, psychic Pokemon(Mewtwo). Both characters have wildly different themes to them, and don't mesh at all, but Smash Bros. is a crossover, it's not supposed to make sense. Why Snake would suddenly be the exception is confusing.

Man, but that's too many third parties for Smash!

We have Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man as the current third parties in a roster of 53(counting Lucas). Including Snake would only make it 1/13th of the roster at best. If there were, say, ten third parties and Snake on the possible list, then there would be a problem, but as it stands, the selection of third parties is still very minimal.

Snake has had no recent games on Nintendo consoles. He's not relevant to the company.

That didn't stop Mega Man. Look how Capcom has treated him, and yet he still got in. And Snake already fits the criteria of having appeared on a Nintendo console; several times. On top of that, he was already in Smash, so of course he would be relevant.

Ryu's coming, that should stop Snake!

Hold up. Ryu is not only not guaranteed as of now, but Ryu getting in would solidify Snake's chances. Why?

Street Fighter hasn't had mainline games on Nintendo consoles since Street Fighter 2, and another third party would be joining the cast. Both are reasons commonly used against Snake, i.e relevancy on Nintendo consoles and the doubts of third-party DLC.

So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him.

Hey, KONAMI has issues with Kojima leaving and stuff!

This is frequently brought up. It is true that there is an ongoing issue at Konami in regards to Kojima, but that still doesn't stop Snake. Konami still owns the character, so they can arrange his appearance as DLC if need be. The only true roadblock that could happen would be if Konami stopped supporting other consoles; which they haven't.

And besides, Konami is in favor of voting for Snake in the Smash Ballot if this retweet is to be believed.

So even this isn't an issue unless Konami says so.

Okay...what can I do to help?

It's simple. Vote for Snake in the Smash Ballot, maybe wear one of the emblems below in your signature, and just spread the word in general. The more, the merrier. Only with your help can we make it known that Snake should come back.

Promo images

Supporter List

Vote now, and don't let Snake keep us waiting no more!

Feel free to suggest edits. I'm sure that I missed something and I'd like feedback before updating.

Okay, massive tagfest thank you list for the construction of this revamped OP:

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones for this thread in the first place
@Swampasaur for the "Metal Gear on Nintendo Consoles" list
@ Zajice Zajice and @ CaptainCrisb CaptainCrisb for 3D model reference/splash card from model(these tags didn't work because apparently a / messes it up)
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux for first promo image and "Soldier Of Fortune" banner
@ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss for ticket promo image and the last promo image

And a last thing...if there's someone brave enough to roam 160 pages and get the names of every supporter and dump them here, I'd be eternally grateful.
That's an AMAZING work! But I would like to contribute with some little corrections, especially with the "Nintendo History" part:
1) Metal Gear II: Solid Snake has never been on the NES. It arrived on Nintendo's Wii trough Virtual Console of the MSX, alongside the original version of MG (which can ba considered a different game from the NES one, somehow).
2) Snake is also featured in "New International Track & Field" a DS sport game. (Source:http://metalgeartrivia.tumblr.com/post/93502120588/solid-snake-is-a-playable-character-in-the-konami) and in "Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship", a GBA game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Waiting on you, Scoliosis Jones.

That's an AMAZING work! But I would like to contribute with some little corrections, especially with the "Nintendo History" part:
1) Metal Gear II: Solid Snake has never been on the NES. It arrived on Nintendo's Wii trough Virtual Console of the MSX, alongside the original version of MG (which can ba considered a different game from the NES one, somehow).
2) Snake is also featured in "New International Track & Field" a DS sport game. (Source:http://metalgeartrivia.tumblr.com/post/93502120588/solid-snake-is-a-playable-character-in-the-konami) and in "Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship", a GBA game.
Good catch, added.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I've just found out that he was also featured in "Evolution Skateboard" which was on the GC.
I wonder if Snake Skateboarding in MGS2 had anything to do with that. :p

Edit: @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Do you want me to look for people who explicitly say they are Snake supporters or also include posts that say things like:
"If Snake makes it back, all he needs are reasonable hitboxes and I'd be fine with him."
"So long as Snake remains the explosive happy person he can be, that is good enough for me."

I am also including posts with wording like this:
"What're the chances his moves won't be so damn huge?"
"I hope his grenades will blow up sooner, like in Project M."
because both of those are implying that Snake will come back to Smash 4
These were taken from the first page. As of this time, I am including them in the list.

@ Ekans647 Ekans647 Maybe we can do something like split it at 80 pages, and @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A could take every new supporter after page 160.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Actually...IT HAVE! Konami used the "Evolution Skateboard" engine for that little extra!
JFI, Is this level on the HD version?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Edit: @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Do you want me to look for people who explicitly say they are Snake supporters or also include posts that say things like:
"If Snake makes it back, all he needs are reasonable hitboxes and I'd be fine with him."
"So long as Snake remains the explosive happy person he can be, that is good enough for me."

I am also including posts with wording like this:
"What're the chances his moves won't be so damn huge?"
"I hope his grenades will blow up sooner, like in Project M."
because both of those are implying that Snake will come back to Smash 4
These were taken from the first page. As of this time, I am including them in the list.
Provided that the implication of them supporting Snake is existent, from praising him, wondering when he'd be revealed, potential changes to moveset/VA/home stage, sure, include them.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
@ K Knux27 May I do the first 80? I would love to review those pages.

@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy Me too. Katty, billy and Jawmuncher were great.

@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA That was my sister. Whenever I played Snake or Falcon she would make me pause at a suggestive moment, such as Snake's pummel or Falcon's UpB, to look at them.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Love the new header info and all that.

But we are being shoved to page 2 and 3 one the character threads, and that will not stand. Weve got to keep the train rolling, vote for snake, everywhere you can, and whenever you can. Spam nintendo, spam konami, as long as we keep it going they might find it worthwhile.

Keep the ball rolling!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Love the new header info and all that.

But we are being shoved to page 2 and 3 one the character threads, and that will not stand. Weve got to keep the train rolling, vote for snake, everywhere you can, and whenever you can. Spam nintendo, spam konami, as long as we keep it going they might find it worthwhile.

Keep the ball rolling!
To be fair, hype for newcomers is infinitely higher than hype for veterans. That said, this thread shouldn't lose relevancy at all.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I'll be able to go over some of the earlier pages in a few hours. Would you like me to PM the supporters or post them on the thread.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I'll be able to go over some of the earlier pages in a few hours. Would you like me to PM the supporters or post them on the thread.
Post them here.

Remember not to tag them(i.e @[username] <-----don't do that).

Stick them in a spoiler, too.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you can have the first 80 pages, sorry I am so late in replying.

Kept you waiting huh? :p

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Looks like konami favorited my most recent tweet, a small victory but ill take it if even the smallest of employee knows that we still want snake to make a comeback.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wouldn't like to be a bother, @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , just a friendly reminder that the OP is ready.

Unless you're busy, which I wholly understand.

Looks like konami favorited my most recent tweet, a small victory but ill take it if even the smallest of employee knows that we still want snake to make a comeback.
What'd it say?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Hmm, I may just have to bribe the Mighty Jinjonator.

Naaahh~

Two threads is enough to manage, so I'll keep rooting from the sidelines.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would like to take a moment to thank @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A for all of his hard work in the OP.

Yes, I'm keeping the OP because it means so much to me. But I will not keep it unless I give proper thanks to the person who made this thread reboot possible. I've had a very busy college semester, and I've been meaning to get around to this. Luckily, we have a dedicated fanbase in here; it makes me proud to own this thread. Things may not always be the most positive with our good friend Snake, but it makes me happy to see so many optimistic people visit this thread, every day.

That said, @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A , thank you very much for doing this for all of us. I couldn't have done it better myself, truly. Now that I am done with this semester, I am going to honor my ownership of this thread and do whatever updates I need to do to keep it organized. I would be miles behind if you hadn't done this. It is very, very much appreciated.

EDIT: If I haven't added you to the support list, please comment and tag me. I need to go to bed. I'll get back to this tomorrow night when I'm free again.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port)
:smash: I somehow never knew this. Was surprised to realize MSX games were even on the Japanese VC. Meanwhile Wii U VC doesn't even have Genesis games anymore.

Also, one thing I think I mentioned that made the "not on Nintendo" thing sound pretty silly before the game came out was how MGS3D came out only 4 months before Sm4sh development began, and selecting the characters is one of the first things they do in development. I guess there's the chance they wouldn't have liked the new (unrevealed) Metal Gear GZ not being planned for Wii U (likeMGS4andWiimIrite), but I'm pretty convinced they must have had some other reason they didn't add him initially, since MGS3D was treated as a fairly big deal to where I don't think they'd just ignore him at that time.

Now? It might be a factor against him. But enough to the point where he has 0% chance like most detractors say? Definitely not, especially if he does well enough in the ballot. He's still an important and huge addition to the Smash Bros series, that always gives him points above any other third party out there.

Top Bottom