• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
jeez, Liquid would just not die
I suggested that Liquid be a smash run enemy, but can not die. Instead he gets knocked out for a few moments before regaining consciousness and shouting "It's not over yet!"
The only way for him to die is if he randomly collapses of foxdie, and the chances of him being killed by foxdie increase each time he gets knocked out.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...for-smash-bros-as-possible-with-fans-in-mind/
I just hope Mr. Sakurai doesn't strain himself with all of this upcoming work.
Let's hope he acknowledges the Snake fans. :sadsheep:

jeez, Liquid would just not die
GENESGENESGENESGENESGENESGENESGENESWALKINGDEATHMOBILEFATHERBROTHERFATHERBROTHERFATHERBROTHERFATHERBROTHERFATHERBROTHERPROJECTPROJECTPROJECTPROJECTPROJECTPROJECTNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKESNUKES

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I just wanted to wish you all the best on getting Snake back in Smash 4! :bee: I know I've been arrogant before, but with the Smash Ballot, it's all fair game. Cheers!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just gonna pop in and say both Metal Gear and Snake have had significantly more appearances on Nintendo Consoles than that.

Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Scriblenauts (I know I was surprised too!)

These are all games that appeared on Nintendo consoles that had Snake in them.
Thought you guys might enjoy this.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I said I was cautiously optimistic that Snake would get in. That optimism grows with each bit of information regarding Smash DLC that surfaces. I feel his chances are much higher now than ever before. Nintendo is embracing DLC for Smash, as much as they can possibly make, to appease as many fans as possible. Snake is an easy candidate to make, an easy way to make fans happy, and an easy choice for the $$$$$$$. And all the reasons for him not to be in sound like a huge a load of bull from cynics and drama lovers.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Shadow Moses on Wii U and 3DS. The omega stage is battling on top of Rex, very small. Perferably 1v1, no projectiles, fists only.
I imagined an omega version to be on a metallic platform just off the edge of the cliffside that the heliport is on, with a full view of the heliport area behind the platform.

This idea is great, though. And it even fits with another part of the game and story. Would REX be in the heliport area, or in its underground hangar like in the game? If so, then the omega version could even give the impression of a completely different stage.

----

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Newcomer here, thought I'd join in the Snake support. Until he's been confirmed for the game, all of my votes will be exclusive to getting Snake back.

I imagined an omega version to be on a metallic platform just off the edge of the cliffside that the heliport is on, with a full view of the heliport area behind the platform.

This idea is great, though. And it even fits with another part of the game and story. Would REX be in the heliport area, or in its underground hangar like in the game? If so, then the omega version could even give the impression of a completely different stage.

----
I really like the idea of the Omega platform being the top of the REX. It'd be more visually interesting and true to the source material.

It wouldn't be too farfetched to see the REX at the helipad, since it does make an appearance in the Brawl stage set at that location anyway. I would say it'd be best to keep things simple and use the same background, that way they would use less time/resources in making it and thus give them incentive/make it more likely to happen.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Also everyone will have to be shirtless. and after you win the fight you to engage in a long car chase, and only then one of the fighter will die of disease. jeez, Liquid would just not die
He was the clone of Big Boss who received all of his dominant traits. Not even Solidus could withstand the amount of Stinger Missiles to the face, fall from the top of Rex, countless bullets to the face, a car crash, then Foxdie, shirtless in the cold Alaskan Air. He truly was the clone with all of Big Boss' dominant genes.

----
I seem to remember a few omega stages that use a few different backgrounds from their original backgrounds. But I'd be fine with the Helipad.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
He was the clone of Big Boss who received all of his dominant traits. Not even Solidus could withstand the amount of Stinger Missiles to the face, fall from the top of Rex, countless bullets to the face, a car crash, then Foxdie, shirtless in the cold Alaskan Air. He truly was the clone with all of Big Boss' dominant genes.
Actually, this is wrong. His is a common misconception within the fandom Liquid Snake received all of Big Boss' superior recessive genes. It was explicitly stated throughout MGS1 that Solid Snake received Big Boss' dominant genes while Liquid Snake received the recessive genes. At the end of MGS1, Ocelot stated that the "inferior one"', Solid Snake, had won. If you don't believe me, look at the Twin Snake's hair color. Brown hair is dominant, while blonde is recessive.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Actually, this is wrong. His is a common misconception within the fandom Liquid Snake received all of Big Boss' superior recessive genes. It was explicitly stated throughout MGS1 that Solid Snake received Big Boss' dominant genes while Liquid Snake received the recessive genes. At the end of MGS1, Ocelot stated that the "inferior one"', Solid Snake, had won. If you don't believe me, look at the Twin Snake's hair color. Brown hair is dominant, while blonde is recessive.
So Big Boss' dominant genes weren't actually the best genes for a solider? His recessive ones were?

Edit: Something is off in your post I think. You say it is a misconception that the fanbase thinks he received all of Big Boss' superior recessive genes. But the fanbase thinks he received all of the dominant genes because of what Ocelot said, the inferior clone won.

Or am I misreading this?

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not very clear. Liquid clearly carries the recessive genes, as he looks much different from Big Boss and Solid, but Ocelot states Liquid was actually the genetically superior clone, so it's implied the recessive genes are somehow better.

The misconception is that Ocelot implied Liquid actually had the dominant genes because the dominant genes are supposed to be the superior ones, but that's physically impossible. It's obvious by Solid and Liquid's appearance who got what.

The thing that confuses me is how the recessive genes are actually superior when none of those traits would be present in Big Boss because of his dominant genes overriding them. The recessive clone should essentially lose most of what made Big Boss, Big Boss.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
@ Zajice Zajice I think I can clear that up. Solid Snake and Liquid Snake only expressed a genetic difference of .43%. Even if many of the physical characteristic Big Boss expressed did not surface in Liquid Snake, he still held them regardless. The only identifiable genetic physical difference between Solid Snake and Liquid Snake is their hair color, which allows us to identify who carries what genes. Any other physical difference, such as Liquid Snake's darker skin tone, can be attributed to their separate environments.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Moses on Wii U and 3DS. The omega stage is battling on top of Rex, very small. Perferably 1v1, no projectiles, fists only.
I like this idea. However are there any other notable Metal Gear stages in the series that would be good choices?

I was thinking the Outer Heaven Fortress for example. Might be a bit random, but what about Communication Towers A & B?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
SNAKE
CHANCE: 29.12%
WANT: 55.62%
Snake actually did significantly worse than I ever thought he would, I could have bet money that he would have been top 3 in chance. Next up we're rating Wolf who I'm sure will do much better. Also please predict what score Shovel Knight gets tomorrow.
Such downers in that thread.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't feel bad. The reason it's so low is because all the people who dislike Snake rated him a very low chance, while we, the supporters, rated realistic chances. Like I put 50/50.

So, in short, that wouldn't mean much at all.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
RTC is a popularity contest most of the time anyway and doesn't impact character chances at all, so I consider it irrelevant. It was arguably worse in speculation periods where Gematsu was still a thing and people said Chrom was a guarantee.

Look how that turned out.

TLDR: RTC doesn't matter.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
What if Shadow Moses Island returns, and the metal gears that used to just smash through the wall become stage bosses?

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
What if Shadow Moses Island returns, and the metal gears that used to just smash through the wall become stage bosses?
Killing Rex will count as 2 KO's, similar to Ridley, but two KO's instead of one.

The Gekkos will not reward you with a KO, but will be Suicide Gekkos instead. Fail to kill them in... 20-30 seconds and they blow up.

Defeating Ray will result in an SD for the player who kills Ray.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm just thinking of when Snake could be shown, in spite of how unpredictable Sakurai is.

E3 I'm sure is reserved for Wolf or Ryu.

Though I could always be wrong.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm just thinking of when Snake could be shown, in spite of how unpredictable Sakurai is.

Well, Sonic's reveal was in August, when there wasn't anything big around him (just a trailer for Sonic Lost World, but it was still far from relase). I think that at E3 or a Direct two mounths later would be the best option. Or maybe around TPP relase. Or whenever Sakurai thinks that is right. We really don't have an order for how the characters are showed (Little Mac on DKCTF relase date, Lucario on 15th Smash Anniversary ecc.).

A ting that I've noticed on the RTC about Snake. A lot of people have pointed out that Snake's inclusion would give free publicity to the competitors, as TPP is on everything but Nintendo. This is ********. I'm mean, is Pac-Man sponsoring the Ghostky Adventures games?! Of course not. And even if Snake does publicity to TPP, why would Nintendo bother? Who would see this kind of sponsoring ALREDY HAVE a Wii U/3DS! Nintendo have never been interested into "selling more than Ps/Xbox" (just like this companies are little kids who constantly says that their toys are cooler, when of course it isn't), but into "SELL". Heck, Iwata had a PS, a PS2 and a PS3! Kazuo Hirai have all Nintendo systems since the N64! And another Sony important man (can't remember who) had not one, but 2 Wii U at home! All this console war is just stupid! Instead, having Snake in Smash would propably make some other consoles fans to be interested in Smash, and maybe purchasing a Wii U for trying it and found a new passion for Nintendo...as he HAVE ALREDY DONE in Brawl.

Besides all this, if it is really this big problem having him sponsoring the others, they could make Snake completely based on MGS3, and sponsoring the 3DS remake!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How much would you guys give if kojima started a kickstarter for a new game after leaving konami?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, Sonic's reveal was in August, when there wasn't anything big around him (just a trailer for Sonic Lost World, but it was still far from relase). I think that at E3 or a Direct two mounths later would be the best option. Or maybe around TPP relase. Or whenever Sakurai thinks that is right. We really don't have an order for how the characters are showed (Little Mac on DKCTF relase date, Lucario on 15th Smash Anniversary ecc.).

A ting that I've noticed on the RTC about Snake. A lot of people have pointed out that Snake's inclusion would give free publicity to the competitors, as TPP is on everything but Nintendo. This is ********. I'm mean, is Pac-Man sponsoring the Ghostky Adventures games?! Of course not. And even if Snake does publicity to TPP, why would Nintendo bother? Who would see this kind of sponsoring ALREDY HAVE a Wii U/3DS! Nintendo have never been interested into "selling more than Ps/Xbox" (just like this companies are little kids who constantly says that their toys are cooler, when of course it isn't), but into "SELL". Heck, Iwata had a PS, a PS2 and a PS3! Kazuo Hirai have all Nintendo systems since the N64! And another Sony important man (can't remember who) had not one, but 2 Wii U at home! All this console war is just stupid! Instead, having Snake in Smash would propably make some other consoles fans to be interested in Smash, and maybe purchasing a Wii U for trying it and found a new passion for Nintendo...as he HAVE ALREDY DONE in Brawl.

Besides all this, if it is really this big problem having him sponsoring the others, they could make Snake completely based on MGS3, and sponsoring the 3DS remake!
So true, so true. And of course, let's not forget that every Snake downloaded is a guaranteed purchase, this is paid DLC after all. Thus getting Snake is guaranteed revenue for Nintendo. Even if it was possible for someone to go out and buy a competitor's system just for the next MGS game, it's not like Nintendo isn't getting anything out of the deal. Throw in a Snake Amiibo and factor in the savings of a lower production cost, and it just makes sense from a profit-oriented angle (which is Nintendo's only goal from the start). Sure, Konami gets a little advertisement, but Nintendo is the one who would be getting profit out of the deal.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
How much would you guys give if kojima started a kickstarter for a new game after leaving konami?
I would ideally give him the highest tier I could pay and then some, but I am financially challenged and don't have that option. I would give whatever tier I could.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
RTC threads have always turned into massive circlejerks anyway.

"A character I want in game? Better rate him 100 (95 so ppl can't call me biased). Everyone else gets a 0"

And don't even get me started on how crap like the Gameatsu leak affected it!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
RTC threads have always turned into massive circlejerks anyway.

"A character I want in game? Better rate him 100 (95 so ppl can't call me biased). Everyone else gets a 0"

And don't even get me started on how crap like the Gameatsu leak affected it!
It's not just bias, it also comes down to how popular the character is for non-supporters; like I said before, it's a popularity contest. People would put "oh Chrom/Chorus Men/Dixie are a given because Gematsu has been ironclad for a year and a half barring Rosalina who I as someone who doesn't support her could care less about" even if they didn't support them, and if they did, well, the bias kicks in at full speed.

I swear if ****ing shovel knight's chances are rated higher than snakes..
Shovel Knight will probably be higher than Snake even if these people admit his actual chances are abysmal due to his popularity alone(see above).

Which is sad.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
With the very recent news of Silent Hills being canned completely, I'm beginning to see lots of people comment how Snake has virtually no chance in getting in as DLC, with reasoning being "Konami clearly doesn't want our money", "they're the reason why Snake wasn't returning to Smash", and "they don't deserve our money if he does get in".
It's not just bias, it also comes down to how popular the character is for non-supporters; like I said before, it's a popularity contest. People would put "oh Chrom/Chorus Men/Dixie are a given because Gematsu has been ironclad for a year and a half barring Rosalina who I as someone who doesn't support her could care less about" even if they didn't support them, and if they did, well, the bias kicks in at full speed.

Shovel Knight will probably be higher than Snake even if these people admit his actual chances are abysmal due to his popularity alone(see above).

Which is sad.
I understand Shovel Knight is a tribute to the past, but for him to be included within a roster that's mostly made up of characters that epitomize the vivid, universal legacy of video games? Shovel Knight, to me, is a bit too recent to be nestled alongside those prestigious ranks of Mario and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I understand Shovel Knight is a tribute to the past, but for him to be included within a roster that's mostly made up of characters that epitomize the vivid, universal legacy of video games? Shovel Knight, to me, is a bit too recent to be nestled alongside those prestigious ranks of Mario and Pac-Man.
While I agree, the "too recent" argument is subverted a lot more in Smash than you think. And some characters suggested for DLC would be way too recent; the Inklings, for example, being suggested in a fashion not unlike :meleeroy:.

And of course, characters that defy the too recent argument:

:4greninja: :4robinm: :4lucina: :4darkpit:

Greninja was based off concept art, and Robin's game was barely two years old.

I'm not defending Shovel Knight, mind you, but I'm just pointing out the small holes in the argument.

Shovel Knight is going to remain a popular choice despite his unlikelihood. But at the very least, unlike the blatant idiocy of Shrek and Goku, Shovel Knight actually makes sense.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
While I agree, the "too recent" argument is subverted a lot more in Smash than you think. And some characters suggested for DLC would be way too recent; the Inklings, for example, being suggested in a fashion not unlike :meleeroy:.

And of course, characters that defy the too recent argument:

:4greninja: :4robinm: :4lucina: :4darkpit:

Greninja was based off concept art, and Robin's game was barely two years old.

I'm not defending Shovel Knight, mind you, but I'm just pointing out the small holes in the argument.

Shovel Knight is going to remain a popular choice despite his unlikelihood. But at the very least, unlike the blatant idiocy of Shrek and Goku, Shovel Knight actually makes sense.
Yeah, it came to my notice that the "too recent" argument wasn't the most well-thought-out. What I meant to say was at least the newer characters act as an extension of their franchise that holds a significant legacy--although I'm not sure if Dark Pit would fit in with that category since the Kid Icarus series spans across only three games. I'm certain there's further holes in this argument, but I'm just thinking out loud. Don't pay me no nevermind. :facepalm:
Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree that Shovel Knight is the best choice compared to Goku and Shrek. And this guy.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I can honestly see Snake making it back unexpectedly. Thought he had no chance at one point due to Konami getting rid of Kojima and what not, but in reality Snake could easily be put back in as a Copy/Paste from Brawl like Mewtwo from Melee. If they are willing to pay Capcom to get Ryu in this game then Snake should DEF return!

ALL HAIL THE KING!!!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

For the past 2 E3's we've had 3 characters revealed. So by patterns, it would be be Wolf, Ryu, and Snake.

But this is Sakurai and this is DLC...

Top Bottom