• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Democracy Thread

Marigio300X

Smash Cadet
NNID
Marigio300X
3DS FC
2964-8586-7178
I (and, apparently, a lot more people!) voted King K. Rool. I feel like the Donkey Kong series needs more representation (2 characters and no assist trophies? MADNESS!) , and Smash Bros. in general needs more villainous characters. King K. Rool fits BOTH of these needs. I even thought of what his moveset might be!
Neutral Special: Kannonball (DKC2)
Side Special: Krown Toss (DKC)
Up Special: Kopter (DKC3)
Down Special: Kounter (Inspired by DK64)
Final Smash: KAOS (Also DKC3)
What do you guys think?

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
My #1 pick would definitely be Zero from Megaman X. He is one of my favorite video game characters, and would be pretty sweet in Smash, with his Z Saber and a projectile and a bunch of pretty unique moves (think MegaMan). But he's kinda unlikely considering he's the second main character of the series behind Megaman X and X isn't playable in Smash either...

My next choice would be Knuckles or Tails. They are both real iconic and unique... I'm not really sure between the two though, as Knuckles is basically the equivalent of Zero, but I'm also kinda biased towards Tails because of the old memories playing as him with my brother in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on the Genesis :roll:

Last pick would be Ridley, because Metroid is my Nintendo franchise and it's definitely severely underrepresented, with only two playable characters in SSB4, both of which are the same person :/ Although that's also unlikely since he's already a boss and Sakurai seems really opposed to the idea.

Marigio300X

Smash Cadet
NNID
Marigio300X
3DS FC
2964-8586-7178
My #1 pick would definitely be Zero from Megaman X. He is one of my favorite video game characters, and would be pretty sweet in Smash, with his Z Saber and a projectile and a bunch of pretty unique moves (think MegaMan). But he's kinda unlikely considering he's the second main character of the series behind Megaman X and X isn't playable in Smash either...
Well, Zero would be a much more plausible choice than X would, simply because X is already part of Mega Man's Final Smash. Zero, on the other hand, is completely separate from Classic Mega Man in all ways. He COULD actually show up!

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I (and, apparently, a lot more people!) voted King K. Rool. I feel like the Donkey Kong series needs more representation (2 characters and no assist trophies? MADNESS!) , and Smash Bros. in general needs more villainous characters. King K. Rool fits BOTH of these needs. I even thought of what his moveset might be!
What do you guys think?
That doesn't sound bad, he's had a number of moves to work with through the games. I'm impressed you implemented one from 64 (though I must admit my salt would increase tenfold if another counter gets added to this game).
Hear me out on this one though; I've been giving it some thought to a Lanky Kong moveset. Being a playable character gives him a number of abilities to use and work with as a moveset. For example,
Neural B: Grape Shooter. Could be similar to Diddy's peanuts but I was actually thinking it to be more similar to Palutana's nB; three round burst. I also think perhaps it could slightly curve to follow the player (like the homing ammo from 64) at the cost of no hitstun (you're getting pelted with grapes I mean...)
Down B: He throws an orange grenade. It bounces a bit and travels a fair distance and blows up for moderate damage, explodes on impact as well
Side B: He orangusprints (handstand sprint for those who don't know) forward, doing damage in his wake
Up B: Be inflates himself just like a balloon. Could work like Villager's recovery.
What I'm thinking is Lanky's moves could be similar to DKs in many regards with longer range but less power and he being less heavy. His in game moves can be used too, such as his dash attack being 64's running attack, standing attack could be a jab combo or tilt, nair could be 64 jump attack, he's got a lot to work with.

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Thought a little more about this and these are the characters I'd be most happy to see get in however unlikely. A few of them I thought of, a few I thought were good ideas.

1) Poo from earthbound
2) Amaterasu from Okami
3) Shovel Knight from...shovel... knight...
4) Cranky Kong
5) Rayman

I might agree with dixie kong but only in the way I envision it. almost a diddy clone with a "floating" mechanic like peach. Scrap diddys raw ko power for the ko power of shiek, pikachu, zss, fox ect. (uair no longer a reliable kill move) and make her rely more on setups, gimps, and offstage pursues (her pony tail would tether and a recovery like dk with more vertical).

My fear I guess with dixie is that she would be too good.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
At the moment, I've voted for King K. Rool. There's already a huge amount of support for him, but here were my reasons (boiled down) I voted for him in the ballot:

• Being a classic Nintendo villain.
  • A potential DKC newcomer.
  • He's to Donkey Kong what Bowser is to Mario.
  • Has a lot of memorable moves from DKC series they can incorporate.
  • The next heavyweight character.
  • Has a personality.

Marigio300X

Smash Cadet
NNID
Marigio300X
3DS FC
2964-8586-7178
That doesn't sound bad, he's had a number of moves to work with through the games. I'm impressed you implemented one from 64 (though I must admit my salt would increase tenfold if another counter gets added to this game).
Hear me out on this one though; I've been giving it some thought to a Lanky Kong moveset. Being a playable character gives him a number of abilities to use and work with as a moveset. For example,
Neural B: Grape Shooter. Could be similar to Diddy's peanuts but I was actually thinking it to be more similar to Palutana's nB; three round burst. I also think perhaps it could slightly curve to follow the player (like the homing ammo from 64) at the cost of no hitstun (you're getting pelted with grapes I mean...)
Down B: He throws an orange grenade. It bounces a bit and travels a fair distance and blows up for moderate damage, explodes on impact as well
Side B: He orangusprints (handstand sprint for those who don't know) forward, doing damage in his wake
Up B: Be inflates himself just like a balloon. Could work like Villager's recovery.
What I'm thinking is Lanky's moves could be similar to DKs in many regards with longer range but less power and he being less heavy. His in game moves can be used too, such as his dash attack being 64's running attack, standing attack could be a jab combo or tilt, nair could be 64 jump attack, he's got a lot to work with.
That is a fair amount of thought put into a character I hadn't considered. I, personally, am not going to vote again (two votes for K.Rool), but I hope Lanky does get in. One side note: Orangsprint for Side B? I mean, I know DK64 doesn't offer a lot to work with, but that seems like a stretch... (get it?)

new stickied thread hype? all right

having everyone vote for one person is impossible and silly. everyone will disagree for good reason. everyone has different views of deserving anyway. let people vote for who they want people

voted for Wonder red.

as well as Viridi and Ridley because while they have absolutely no shot for 4 maybe for smash 5.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
By logic

Would have done ridley but even if we prooved sakurai wrong on the things in the interview with the votes for ridley, it ain't happening.

Wolf i did vote but i just relized wolf may get dlc without the votes (practically a shoe-in for short.) But still better safe and sorry

But my main vote went to king k rool.

Most wanted newcomer, deserves a resurrection, need more DK reps and villians,and kermlings are in smash run for 3ds so relevant.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I have access to 4 different IP's, and voted for Rayman, Sceptile, Ridley, and Banjo and Kazooie

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
seriously ppl forget how villager was not a fighter, I rekin he has not shot for smash 4 or 5 right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like we as a community should come together and unite our efforts in getting the most deserving character into the game. But there's no way that's gonna happen.
Probz gonna vote for Banjo & Kazooie or Chibi-Robo... convince me otherwise.
Yeah, there's just no way that you could get the Smash community to decide on a handful of characters. The Smash fanbase is just so varied and we all have different gaming backgrounds so certain characters don't mean the same thing for all of us.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
By logic

Would have done ridley but even if we prooved sakurai wrong on the things in the interview with the votes for ridley, it ain't happening.

Wolf i did vote but i just relized wolf may get dlc without the votes (practically a shoe-in for short.) But still better safe and sorry

But my main vote went to king k rool.

Most wanted newcomer, deserves a resurrection, need more DK reps and villians,and kermlings are in smash run for 3ds so relevant.
I agree with you on wolf, I have a feeling he's already being made and he's going to be used to fill the gap between Lucas' release and the time we start getting these voted on characters. I heard it takes a year to develop these characters so there's no way that they have nothing to fill in the time, and wolf seems like the most likely one to fill up the space, along with other cut characters possibly.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I obviously voted for Adeleine. I won't give up, maybe she won't make it into Smash Bros, but I want to make them aware that there is still someone on the planet who still likes that character, and that removing her from the recurring friends of Kirby has been a bad idea in the first place.

Karate Joe, Syrup, Classic Ganon, Jill & Drill Dozer, Geno and Lip were my other choices, but I had to vote for Adeleine, she is my #1 most wanted and she is the least popular of the list, along with Jill, so she is the one who needs to be supported more.
I would love to have Karte Joe as well, anyway, he is my #1.0001 most wanted character.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
However unlikely, I had to take this chance to vote for John Raimi from Geist.
At least in Brawl, the game was mentioned, but there had been absolutely no reference to the game in Smash U/3DS. Granted, it was from a western developer and it's more on the obscure side, but Geist still is a Nintendo-owned property with a lot of potential.

It was a long shot, but it was the only shot Raimi's ever had.

It probably wouldn't be worth anyone's time to reopen or create a new thread, but if anyone would like to see my original proposal, it's here: http://smashboards.com/threads/thats-not-all-volks-john-raimi-from-geist.326480/

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've already voted for Snake like 3 times. I'm planning on voting for him more, but I am also going to vote for other characters. Seriously, on modern ballots you don't just vote for 1 person. You vote for several. My votes will probably end up going to:

1) Snake- Vet with a great moveset, personality and came out of left field as a crazy newcomer to Brawl. He has a lot of fans and made one out of me.

2) K.Rool- Obvious reasons. If you don't know why you should vote for him, you can find out anywhere on the internet.

3) Inklings- AMAZING moveset potential. Nuff said

4) Wonder Red- Pretty much same as Inklings. Unite morphs would provide quite an interesting moveset.

5) Wolf- practically guaranteed at this point. He's a vet and has no reasons to not come back.

6) Isaac- dat moveset potential though. Using moves similar to that of what he used in Brawl, and Earth Djinn attacks. Sounds awesome to me.

7) Captain Toad- Moveset potential

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I believe that:
  • Any assist trophy, Stage hazard *cough*, or character thats part of an FS, will have a /very/ hard time getting in.
  • The "well represented" series' like Mario, LoZ, PKMN, and FE, have less chance, but for a unique and highly voted character they might make one.
  • Female and Villain characters would have a slight boost in there decision.
  • A good place to look for characters would be through the trophies.
  • Because PKMN and Earthbound just got a dlc, they are less likely
  • No idea on 3rd party
My first choice would be Masked Young link, with a MM move set, but transforming during attacks to avoid zelda/sheik transformations would be to much of a pain for them to create.

then I'd vote for
  • A DK member, (do they even have item/Assist trophy reps?) K rool would be a kool villain, (it'd be sweet if we had just a few dixie skins, but) Dixie kong could make a good addition on her own, but i fear her being.. clone-y
  • Paper mario, it goes against what i said but i really want him for his possible moveset.
  • a fast villain! idk why it bugs me that every bad guy is so slow, MK and mewtwo are faster but that's why i was hoping girahim.
  • Bayonetta, very cool, shes in a rising series and shows a more serious side of nintendo like snake. i'd like to see her a good bit less areial than ZSS.
  • a metroid character if unique.
  • NOT an F-zero character. Without any new games, i don't think Capt needs love, he's just locked in cause he's a good vet.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Yes. All the yes.

I've voted for the Inklings, Groose, and Wolf (multiple times)...
I voted for Wolf 600 times.
And I can't stop.
help me
halp

Time for me to share some movesets I came up with for these guys.

Keep his Brawl moveset but change his final smash to a Wolfen

Uh, the one from the support thread. For lazy people:
B: Squid swim - Turns into Squid form and can move along ground. Fast if traveling through own ink, slow otherwise. Can be canceled. Can change direction.
B side: Paint roller - Pulls out paint roller to attack. Leaves a trail of paint behind.
B up: Super jump - Launches self high into air. Can attack afterward.
B down: Ink grenade - Pulls out Ink grenade that splatters ink everywhere. Functions similarly to Link's bombs.
Final Smash: Ink nuke - Covers stage in ink while dealing damage to anyone caught in the blast radius.
Jab: Ink shot - Shoots a glob of ink that arcs downward similar to Link's arrows. Can be rapid-fired. All globs of ink can be eliminated by attacking them, and also disappear after a set amount of time. Globs slightly reduce opponents' movement speed and increase own speed.
F-tilt: Ink shot while moving, like Megaman
U-tilt: Upward tentacle swipe
D-tilt: Downward tentacle swipe
F-smash: Sniper shot - Shoots sniper rifle forward towards the ground. The scope moves away from the Inkling along the ground as it is charged
U-smash: Bazooka Launch - Fires paint mortar upward before coming back down, like Snake's U-smash
D-smash: Bazooka Blast - Fires bazooka downward to splatter paint on both sides of the Inkling
N-air: Ink shot in air
F-air: Forward tentacle strike
B-air: Backward dual-hit tentacle strike
U-air: Upward flip kick
D-air: Downward tentacle slam. Spikes.
Dash Attack: Squid Strike - Turns into a squid and dives along ground. Goes much farther over painted area.

This guy was my joke vote.
Up special: Loftwing. Groose summons his loftwing and uses it to fly.
Neutral special: Egg throw. Groose throws an egg at the opponent.
Side special: Crawlin and Stritch appear and ram into the opponent.
Down special: Falling. Works a lot like Yoshi's down special. It is based on this scene from Skyward Sword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatSToeahHI. Like Ganondorf, when in the air he can grab opponents and take them with him.
Final Smash: Groosenator.
[/youtube]

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've voted my big three below. But mainly Ridley. I think he's the one who needs the most help getting in. There are a lot of people who don't wan't Ridley in at all, and a lot of others who don't think it's possible for the developers to make him playable since he's a boss on one stage. I've wanted Ridley in for a while, and Nintendo has acknowledged that he's a popular character. He's the one I've got my fingers crossed for.

I'd also like to see Wolf and K.Rool get in, but I think they have great chances. I'd actually be surprised if they're not porting Wolf in in time for an E3 announcement (possibly to be released to coincide with StarFoxU), and K.Rool is very heavily requested from all regions. Besides, Donkey Kong needs more love, and a giant crocodile is quite unique, and perfect for Smash. His biggest problem is he hasn't been seen in a while.

I think all three should get in, but it'll be tough. I really want to have a villains free-for-all (Can you imagine Bowser vs. Ganondorf vs. Mewtwo vs. Ridley vs. K.Rool vs. Wolf? So awesome!)

GO RIDLEY!
GO WOLF!
GO KING K.ROOL!

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
I wanted to note as of the current moment, you only get one vote per IP. If you use the same IP when voting, it will replace your earlier vote. Just wanted to mention that.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I wanted to note as of the current moment, you only get one vote per IP. If you use the same IP when voting, it will replace your earlier vote. Just wanted to mention that.
Not to be "that guy" but how do you know it works that way specifically?

"Please limit your vote to one per person."
person != computer.

please != a guarantee. It's entirely possible it has no limit or IP tracking so that families can vote multiple times on one device.

there is no official statement by Nintendo at this time stating anything that more than 1 vote erases past votes.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
person != computer.

please != a guarantee. It's entirely possible it has no limit or IP tracking so that families can vote multiple times on one device.

there is no official statement by Nintendo at this time stating anything that more than 1 vote erases past votes.
Nintendo are very family friendly, which is more evidence that my 700 Wolf votes were not in vain.

slambros

Smash Ace
I voted multiple times for many characters. Here's who I voted for:

Shovel Knight: My first vote went to one of the best possible third-party characters. How awesome would it be to do the shovel-bounce attack on Mario?

Dixie Kong: She would fit the bill for another DK representative, and she would be easy to make as a semi-clone of Diddy.

Bandana Waddle Dee: This character will complete the Kirby franchise, and the premise of a spear-wielding fighter is too good to pass up.

Wolf: While I feel like he's a shoe-in, I felt like I needed to provide some support. After all, he has a lot of mains.

4th Mii Fighter: I pitched the premise of a mage-like Mii fighter. It probably won't happen, because giving a freshfresh DLC moveset to the miis again mightmight be slightly controversial.

Shantae: After I heard that Wayforward wanted her in, I immediately made the request.

Isa Jo: It would be cool to have a Sin & Punishment character in smash, and it's possible that Isa's the last plausible representative with Saki an assist.

Banjo & Kazooie: Same deal with Shantae. I voted after I heard about Phil Spencer's opinions.

That's honestly all I remember at the moment. I didn't vote for the Inklings because I thought the were shoe-ins (unlike my Wolf scenario, I think the Inklings are the shoe-in kind of shoe-ins). I'd rather wait until I play Golden Sun to vote for Isaac. I think I almost voted for the blue-haired girl from Fire Emblem If and Lana from Hyrule Warriors. Might've voted for one of them.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
currently i've voted about 5 times:
1.Ray MK III from Custom Robo - The series has been represented in Smash before, Customization was a huge part of the series which since Smash now has Customization, it makes him seem more appealing, and a New IP for the roster.

2.Shovel Knight - Started on Nintendo Consoles, currently one of the most popular Indie games on the market, Yacht Club games wants him in smash, and would represent Indie games in Smash.

3.Banjo Kazooie - after Phil Spencer tweeted about Banjo, i jumped on the bandwagon, my reasons were he's a popular character that has history with Nintendo, he's a character people love who they'd thought they'd never see again. (no really i wrote that, XD) and with the release of the Nintendo E-Shop, they could promote his addition with his games being put on the E-Shop. and they would have a unique moveset.

4.Bayonetta (on my Phone) - Female representative, Nintendo practically made her second game possible, she'd have a very interesting moveset with her gun heels and summons.

5.Shantae (on my Wii U) Female representative, has a history with Nintendo, her creators [Wayforward] wants her in smash, and her moveset would be interesting with her transforming with her dances. (Multi-jumper with harpy form?), and would also represent indie games in Smash.

i think that was everybody, but for some reason i think i voted for one other character that i can't remember... DX i'm sure i came up with more reasons while i was on the voting screen, but i can't think of all of them for the time being. :/

i'll probably vote for others i want like Rayman, Bomberman, and Chibi-Robo. but after my 3rd-4th vote i was actually starting to question on whether voting multiple times on a single device would be a problem, can we actually vote however many times we want for however many characters we want?

EDIT:added reasons to my votes.

Last edited:

Yeti15

Smash Rookie
I voted for a character that doesn't get a lot of attention. Pigma Dengar. I think he would be an interesting add to the roster because he is a villain who has been a part of most starfox games ( and conveniently there is a new starfox game on the way ) as a universally hated character, even being kicked out of Starwolf. I would envision Pigma as a relatively mobile character considering his stature ( similar to Wario maybe ) but having weaker attacks that are used from long range rather than in your face like Wario.

* i would also love to have wolf back but i just think pigma can be more unique and i feel wolf will be included anyway

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm going to take the opportunity here to fly the flag for King K. Rool:

Q: Who is King K. Rool?
A: King K. Rool is the primary antagonist of the DK series. He is described in his Smash bros trophy description as "to DK as Bowser is to Mario".

Q: Wouldn't he just be like Bowser? What does he have that makes him unique?
A: No! Bowser as a brawler relies on brute strength and endurance. K. Rool's boss battles, on the other hand, always involve the cunning croc using a variety of tricks and tools to fight with. Moreover, in each game K. Rool takes on a different persona (giving potential for some pretty sweet alternate costumes, I should add) with associated tools that make each boss battle completely different. Having this across the course of four games (DKC1,2 and 3, DK64) gives him a massive pool of options for potential movesets. Most of these actually involve making him into a very projectile oriented super heavyweight, something which we don't really have at the moment. Search any of his boss battles on Youtube to see what I mean.

Q: Isn't he Rare property? What a waste of a vote!
A: Nope! If this was the case, Diddy wouldn't be around either, and the Kremlings wouldn't be in Smash Run. Moreover, K. Rool himself has appeared in games since (King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Mario Superstars Baseball to name a few) so this is definitely not a problem.

Q: Isn't he irrelevant?
A: K. Rool hasn't appeared in the two most recent main series DK games, but is far from irrelevant yet. He has had the crucial boon of all of DKC1,2,3 and DK64 recently being rereleased on VC. An important thing to note is that voting for K. Rool here is not singularly about getting him in Smash Bros. It is also about prompting his glorious return to fighting the Kongs.

Q: Is my vote being put to good use?
A: YES! K. Rool is looking good in the majority of polls so far; something you likely already know. He has solid support in both the east and the west, something that can't be said for the majority of other contenders. Moreover, he is free from the issues plaguing a lot of other characters such as licensing, appearing already in a NPC role, and so on. In fact, some people would go as far to say that he is looking sufficiently good that voting for him is a waste! This is a dangerous way of thinking and not entirely fair, as any character needs as many votes as they can get. Will you be the one to push K. Rool over the edge (and into Smash)?

Q: Where do I sign up?
A: Throw the good king a vote, and become a member of the Kremling Kutthroats here: http://smashboards.com/threads/k-ro...-krocthevote-time-for-our-finest-hour.324259/

#KrocTheVote

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I already posted in another thread, but since this one is stickied, I'm gonna post again.

I voted for Ridley (yeah I know it's not gonna happen), but I'm thinking of voting a second time for Paper Mario and a third time for Squirtle.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Woah woah woah, where are my Simon Belmont supporters?! There's GOTTA be some somewhere in here!

Come on, his whip fighting would be SO cool! Not to mention his throwing axe and daggers! He is basically screaming to be put in Smash.

Don't forget his HUGE part of Nintendo history!

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX

Reasons to vote Isaac from the Golden Sun series!

Isaac would be an interesting addition to the game!

Golden Sun has many different mechanics to draw attacks from, mainly because of it's "Djinn" system. It works like this:

If you equip Djinni, you gain stat boosts.
You can use Djinni to unleash an attack. After that, they are now in "Stand-By" mode. They don't give you stat boosts now, but now you can either "Summon", depending on how many Djinni you've used beforehand (The more you've used, the better the summon). If you have summoned, the Djinni are in "Recovery" mode and you need to wait until they are usable again, OR "Set" the Djinni to have them active again to gain their stat boosts and attacks.

Isaac uses "Venus" Djinni by default. They are associated with earth, plants and nature, as well as the personalities of love and courage. Venus Djinni are especially versatile and balanced in their abilities.

Pictures of the Djinn attacks from "Flint" and "Sap", with different effects. "Flint" deals an especially heavy blow, while "Sap" drains HP.

Gifs demonstating the different Summon tiers for pure Venus summons; "Judgement" is the strongest, "Venus" the weakest. "Ramses" and "Cybele" are inbetween.
Aside from that, there are the different Psynergy attacks. Isaac's Psynergy is Earth-elemental by default, just like his Djinni. The "Plant" aspect of this element which is widely used in Isaac's Psynergy is only used by Villager and Peach with customs. No one else uses a nature-based moveset! And Isaac has a crap ton of different attacks he could use, even when not considering all the attacks of the Djinni and the summons!
He could use:
Quake
Growth
Thorn
Spire
Gaia
Odyssey
Retreat
Move
Catch

And for attack examples he could potentially use when equipping Djinni that are not of his element:
Demon Night
Helm Splitter
Annihilation
Lava Shower
Fire Bomb
Dragon Cloud
Planet Diver
Gale
Thunderclap
Shuriken
Death Plunge
Quick Strike
Froth
Cutting Edge

And then there are the unleah attacks of his iconic sword, the Gaia Blade. Those are:
Power Charge
Spiral Assault
Sky Diver
Titan Blade
All attacks aside from Titan Blade debuted in Dark Dawn and therefore, it is Isaac's son Matthew who performs them in these gifs.
Depending on how many Djinni Isaac has set, he gains more weight and deals more damage. Everything on here is assuming Isaac has all 4 Djinni, excluding the summons. The first "lost" Djinn lowers Isaac's attack by -1%, the second lets him lose -5 Weight, the third lets him lose -1% yet again, his fourth lets him lose -5 Weight again.

Jab "Power Charge"

Instead of having a normal jab, Isaac unleashes the weakest attack of his Gaia Blade. He leaps forward a bit, holding his sword onto the ground. Quick startup, moderate endlag. Has some good range. 10% damage.

Forward Strong Attack "Quick Strike"

Isaac quickly swings his sword forward horizontally. The attack has not much endlag, but less range than his jab. 11% damage.

Up Strong Attack "Geode"

A Djinn attack. With the help of "Geode", Isaac forms a ball of earth over his head and smashes it diagonally down. After using this attack, he cannot use it again until "Geode" is set again. Laggy, but really strong, use with caution. Great for edgeguards. 20% damage.

Down Strong Attack "Spire"

Isaac casts a spire up from the ground. Fast startup and barely any endlag, great for combos. 6% damage.

Dash Attack "Helm Splitter"

Isaac lunges forward. If the hit connects at the sweetspot at the blade's base, it deals 10% damage. The sweetspot does great shield damage as well. If Isaac hits with the tip, it does 8% damage and hasn't got much shield damage.

Forward Smash Attack "Flint"

A Djinn attack. Very quick smash attack with high knockback that does 16% damage uncharged, 22% fully charged. After using this attack, he cannot use it again until "Flint" is set again.

Up Smash Attack "Grand Gaia"

Isaac casts a pillar of earth energy before him. It has more range and does more damage at the base, but it extends high up into the air. Slow startup, but high damage. 18% damage uncharged at the base, 25% damage charged. 15% damage at the tip of the attack, 20% damage charged.

Down Smash Attack "Quake Sphere"

Isaac raises his sword up and pillars of earth rise up around him; three on each side. The first pillars on each side do only minimal damage of 6% and have no hitstun, the second pillars do 11% damage and put the enemy into hitstun, and the third pillars next to Isaac to 15% damage and launch the enemy. (8%, 14% and 20% damage charged, respectively.)

Neutral Aerial "Demon Night"

Isaac summons a bunch of ghosts around him that deal 8% damage and don't have much knockback, making it great for combos. Almost no landing lag.

Forward Aerial "Sky Diver"

Isaac slashes forward with his blade, then a bird-shaped projectile emerges from the blade. When it hits an enemy or the ground, it explodes. The slash of the blade does 6%, the explosion of the projectile 8%. Moderate landing lag.

Back Aerial "Shuriken"

Isaac throws 4 Shuriken behind his back that do 3% damage per hit each. Low landing lag.

Up Aerial "Fire Bomb"

Isaac rises his palm into the air and creates an explosion that pulls enemies in. It does 12% damage and has good knockback. Moderate landing lag.

Down Aerial "Planetary"

Isaac dives diagonally down, wreathed in flames. If Isaac hits an opponent, it does 14% damage and meteor smashes. High landing lag.

Neutral Special "Vine"

A Djinn attack. Isaac summons thick vines in front of him. If an opponent walks into them, it gets slowed down as long as he's in the vines. After using this attack, he cannot use it again until "Vine" is set again.

Side Special "Sap"

A Djinn attack. Isaac does a leaking slash, doing damage depending on your own % (up to 20% damage). Isaac always heals half of the damage done. After using this attack, he cannot use it again until "Sap" is set again.

Down Special "Summon"

Isaac summons a mythological being, depending on how many Djinn are on "stand-by".

Venus summons 5 blasts of earth from the ground, juggling the opponent in the air. Each blast does 2% damage.
Ramses smashes the ground three times, each hit doing 3% damage, then launches his fist as a projectile which deals 6% damage.
Cybele's frog spits out seeds that sprout into vines lifting the enemy up. While the opponent is hold in midair, he cannot act, which is your chance to attack. When it falls down again, it gets additional 5% damage.
Judgement flies over Isaac and shoots an charged shot right in front of him. The shot does 24% damage, has high knockback, and the explosion meteor smashes enemies in the air.

After a summon, the used Djinni are in "recovery" mode. They need 4 seconds to recharge each. They recharge in the order:
Flint > Vine > Sap > Geode.

Up Special "Growth"

Isaac whips into the air diagonally with vines that deal 9% damage. It works as a tether recovery as well.

Grab "Catch"

Isaac grabs his opponents with a psychic hand. It has very high range, but considerable end lag.

Pummel
Isaac squeezes the grabbed opponent with the psychic hand. 4% damage per pummel.

Forward Throw "Move"

Isaac tosses his opponent forward and pushes it back. 7% damage, great for creating distance from the opponent.

Back Throw "Scoop"

Isaac throws the opponent behind him and buries it into the ground. 6% damage.

Up Throw "Lift"

do u even lift bro
Isaac summons a second hand to lift the opponent above him. 6% damage.

Down Throw "Pound"

Isaac releases the opponent, the smashes the psychic hand on it. 9% damage with high knockback.

Up Taunt "Set Djinn"

Isaac raises his sword and smiles while he lays his other hand at his hip. If a Djinn is in "stand-by" mode, it is set again, indicated by a shine and the characteristic soundeffect when setting a Djinn, in the order of the Djinn you have used the earliest to the ones you've used the latest.

Final Smash "Odyssey"

Isaac casts the "Force" Psynergy to hit the enemy upwards with a psychic fist, then he smashes 4 rapiers into the enemy, then lifts up a giant sword and crashes it down into the enemy. It does 52% damage (8% with each rapier, 20% on the final hit) and meteor smashes on the final hit.

Isaac's inclusion would make more people aware of Golden Sun!

Golden Sun is a great series of JRPGs, and more people need to play it. It has a complex battle system and puzzles, a ton of secrets, great challenge, a well-told plot and the first two games look amazing for GBA. (The third game is also really pretty.) The first two games, and quite possibly soon the third one, can be gotten in the E-Shop. Isaac's addition can increase the sales of those games, like Ness and Lucas did with Earthbound's sales. That means a ton of profit for Nintendo.

...and Golden Sun desperately needs those people!

The studios who makes the Golden Sun games, Camelot, will only make Golden Sun 4 when there are enough people who want it. With the votes in the ballot, whe can make ourself heard, and with Isaac's inclusion, the amount of fans will rise. The chance of getting a sequel will heavily increase in this case. This is our big chance. If we don't do anything now, Golden Sun is in the danger of getting slowly forgotten.

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
That is a fair amount of thought put into a character I hadn't considered. I, personally, am not going to vote again (two votes for K.Rool), but I hope Lanky does get in. One side note: Orangsprint for Side B? I mean, I know DK64 doesn't offer a lot to work with, but that seems like a stretch... (get it?)
Oh I certainly do get it. I agree there may be a cooler idea for his side B, but I was trying to think of a way to implement his signature technique. His dash wouldn't work well with it because he has to get right back onto his feet for his dash attack.
K. Rool is in that "if he got in I would only be disappointed my guy didn't make it in, but I'd still enjoy" tier. Only other person I'd vote for other than Lanky is Banjo & Kazooie.
Hell vote for both the bear, bird, and funny face.
Also don't forget how since SK64 is getting ported to WiiU that Lanky holds relevance again. I'd also like to see some more side Kongs get revived. Now's the perfect time!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
We have a fairly big reddit poll ongoing at the moment:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewform

I thought I'd give the results as they currently stand to help people on the fence. The top 10 right now are the following:

1) Isaac (Golden Sun) - 131 votes, 9%
2) King K Rool (DK) - 126 votes, 8.7%
3) Shovel Knight - 97 votes, 6.7%
4) Banjo-Kazooie - 93 votes, 6.4%
5) Solid Snake - 67 votes, 4.6%
6) Rayman - 58 votes, 4%
7) Wolf - 51 votes, 3.5%
8) Inkling - 50 votes, 3.4%
9) Paper Mario - 42 votes, 2.9%
10) Bayonetta - 39 votes, 2.7%

Note that at time of writing the other section had 146 (10%) of the votes, but isn't included for obvious reasons. These top 10 account for nearly half of the total.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
What do you guys think?
if Sakurai reads this and gives K. Rool a counter, Imma steal your Wii U!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
The character I voted for is a HUGE underdog, but I'm trying my best anyways. I voted for Spyro the Dragon. On a different thread, this is what I said for my rationale:

I kinda want Spyro the Dragon to be in Smash. I feel like he's an important video game character. He has been a part of some important developments in video games. Before his first game, open world games would conceal faraway locations in a level with fog or other methods. Spyro the Dragon introduced the concept of showing these places and having their polygon counts increase as the player nears them. Along with that, the enemy AI was also interactive during a time when most enemies had static/fixed processes. Also, Skylanders started the interactive toys revolution, which we can see has influenced Nintendo, as evident through the Pokemon Rumble U NFC figures and Amiibo.

In addition, Spyro is a recognizable character. The older audiences know about him from the original and Legend of Spryo series, and the younger kids know about him because of Skylanders. It would be really cool if they made his Smash design similar to his appearance in the original series, based the majority of his moveset on his attacks from The Legend of Spyro, and used his voice actor from the Skylanders series. In my opinion, this would be the most appealing way to include Spyro.

This is what I had in mind for his moveset:
In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro had access to melee combos and breath attacks. The majority of his aerials, tilts, smashes, and neutral attack could be based on these melee attacks. And if they decide to include a jab combo, they could use those games for reference for that as well!

B: He could breathe fire like what Charizard and Bowser do. Or it could be like the Daybringer Flame from Skylanders, which is just a fireball. I would prefer the latter just because it could work well with my idea for his customs.

B Customs: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro's breath attacks included Fire, Electricity, Ice, and Earth. These could be made into customs, and they could be blasts that have different effects. The electricity breath could be similar to Zero Suit Samus's neutral special and paralyze (but have a shorter range to compensate). The ice breath could freeze like Mario and Luigi's ice balls. And the earth breath could have no additional effect and be able to travel farther than any of the other breaths. Since he can only have two of these other breaths, I would personally choose Electricity and Earth to be the alternates to his Fire breath.

Side B: This could be him charging forward/backward.

Side B Customs: They could make a heavy charge that's slower and more powerful. It could be based on Ibex's Wrath Charge from Skylanders. Then there could be a faster charge that's weaker.

Up B: In the Skylanders series and The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Spyro could fly. So he could flap his wings and fly upwards. If they want to stay true to the original Spyro, it could be more like Meta Knight's up special. Or, since sheep are an important part of the original and Skylanders series, he could do something like Sonic, but with sheep.

Up B Customs: He could have one that does a lot of damage but doesn't go that high and one that goes high but doesn't do any damage. For the more powerful version, maybe he could be on fire when he charges upward. And the weaker version could just be a floatier modification of his regular Up B.

Down B: I can see two different paths they can take with this one. He could have a counter where Spyro would shield himself with his wings and then strikes back. Or he could do something like Spyro's Earth Pound from Skylanders.

Down B Customs: If he has a counter, he could have one that stuns (like Lucario's Stunning Double Team) and one that's just a dodge and an attack (like Lucario's Glancing Counter). If he uses his Earth Pound, he could have a flaming Earth Pound like Series 2 Spyro and an Earth Pound that does no damage but pushes enemies away.

Final Smash: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro has a fifth breath that's used pretty much exclusively against the final bosses. It's called Convexity. They could do something with this, where he attacks multiple times using this powerful breath. They could even have Sparx play a role in this, maybe shooting at and stunning the opponent, giving Spyro the opportunity to attack.

The biggest obstacle that I can see for Spyro is his minimal presence in Japan. He's much more popular everywhere else. But I'm sure that the developers at Nintendo know about him because of Skylanders and the interactive toys that inspired their own line of such toys. Unfortunately, however, before Skylanders: Spyro Adventure, which released in Japan on the Wii U in 2013, there was no new Spyro game there for almost 10 years. I can't find any sales data on that game in Japan, so I'm not sure how many people are aware of his existence there. But then again, not that many people knew who Marth and Roy were when they first appeared in Melee. And it turned out fine for them. Perhaps doing the same with Spyro wouldn't be that big of a problem. Other than that issue, I don't think that there's anything else that's really a hindrance for Spyro the Dragon being in Smash.

Of course, it's still important to mention that because Spyro is a 3rd party character, he may be at a disadvantage compared to other potential choices, such as King K. Rool. We don't know to what extent the extra effort for securing a 3rd party character will affect Nintendo's decision when choosing a character, but the costs must be in their mind. Nevertheless, they never said that it was impossible for a 3rd party character to make it into Smash, so Spyro the Dragon still has a chance!

Top Bottom