• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Democracy Thread

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hmm, I see a distinct lack of Krystal in this thread and it's a bit concerning. I voted for her. I'll list some reasons why she's very much a good choice for a vote!

1. Year of the Star Fox! (Star Fox Wii U)

Star Fox Wii U is poised to be the big game of 2015 and it just so happens to coincide with this Smash DLC thing. There's never been a better time for Nintendo to cash in on Star Fox. Miyamoto himself is working on it and even dubbed 2015 "Year of the Star Fox". There's still some question out there about it, but come E3 you know the hype will be real and it'll be time for Star Fox to get some love. In short, Star Fox has the relevancy points in spades.

2. We can have our cake and eat it too... except the cake is Wolf and Krystal is the part where you get to eat it! (Star Fox is underrepresented)

With the cut of Wolf, Star Fox has a scant two reps in Smash. No other franchise, other than DK, is begging for not just one, but two additional reps more than Star Fox. It can happen people. Star Fox is going to be big this year and if any franchise can pull off snagging a vet AND a newcomer, it's Star Fox. If you voted Wolf, I totally understand and I want him back badly too. I also think he must already be in development after the Lucas release. I voted Krystal because I'm optimistic we can have both. I hope Wolf supporters join us under the banner of Star Fox when the old villain gets back in the game.

3. Krystal has a ton of potential for a unique moveset! (Especially with that staff)

Anyone who's played Star Fox Adventures knows that the game featured a unique weapon with many different properties. That weapon was Krystal's staff. When Fox picks it up in Adventures, he gets a messages from Krystal through it informing him that the staff would teach him it's abilities over time. This implies that all the moves Fox learns in the game are inherent to the staff and known to Krystal. This staff is her greatest opportunity for standing out. The staff is a physical weapon as well as a "magical" weapon and a tool. It differentiates itself from Palutena's scepter by being used more like martial art weapon in Adventures in physical combat. How cool would it be to have an actual staff user in the roster? Of course, it's more "magical" properties could be used in her specials. These include a fire blaster, an ice blast, a rocket boost, and a quake move. She could even get it back in the new Star Fox game making it more relevant than ever. Speaking of that....

3.2 But that's not all! (Krystal could have more than just her staff to use)

Depending on how Star Fox Wii U goes, the Star Fox team may acquire new tools, weapons, and abilities. If Krystal gets considered as DLC and the cash in comes from a reference to the new Star Fox, you can bet they'll use it. Krystal may have moves we haven't even imagined yet because they'll borrow from a game that's not even released! Wolf is unlikely to change, similar to Lucas, and is unlikely to take much time to port from Brawl and refine. The door is so wide open for Krystal to represent not just Star Fox as a franchise, but the new Star Fox game in Smash.

4. Krystal is more popular than you might think and has a great shot to get on this roster! (Krystal is not a wasted vote)

Some polls lately may have you thinking that Krystal isn't as popular as some characters, and in some polls it's true. Reddit and Gamefaqs aren't huge supporters in general, but here on Smashboards it's a sunnier outlook for Krystal. Fact is that most polls have her among the top 10 to 12 characters period and when it comes to newcomers she's often in the top 5. A recent Japanese poll in particular had her as their second most requested newcomer character after K. Rool. A poll started by "The Nerdy One" and posted on Gamefaqs and referenced on Smashboards currently has Krystal among the top 5 after over 300 votes. K. Rool dominates as expected, but the only characters between Krystal and the top are Isaac, Roy, and Wolf! Wolf is a friend to our cause as far as I'm concerned, if he gets in Krystal's chances increase actually. Many of the other characters getting votes just behind her are characters that face unique limiting factors to their probable inclusion like Banjo, Ridley, Bayonetta, and Snake.

Visit the Krystal for DLC thread here to find out more about why Krystal is so great and everything we're trying to do to help her cause. Currently we're brainstroming how to illustrate her potential movesets, mostly to do with the staff, so that people can see how interesting she could be as a character. Leap to the end if you want current conversations, heh. We're a pretty nice group too if I do say so myself.

Krystallize Smash!!!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I voted for Isaac from Golden Sun.

I just posted this in the Isaac thread but I think it might be a good idea to post it here too. It details some of what Isaac is capable of doing. A couple of them aren't really that appropriate for Smash but I thought it would nice to give some extra flavour. There's still so much to choose from.

Isaac can:

* Create earthquakes (or "Quakes"). Quake Sphere is the strongest version of this attack. Three columns appear under the enemies and they are thrown up and down by the quake.

* Make vines and plants grow (using a psynergy called "Growth") He also has a stronger version called "Wild Growth". Think "male poison ivy".

* Can cause a barrage of rocks to fall on the enemy. (The strongest version of this is called "Avalanche")

* Somewhat similarly to Growth, Isaac can cause thorns to grow up from the ground. The strongest version of this is called "Nettle".

* Create earth spires to launch at the enemy. "Stone Spire" is the most lethal version of this attack.

* Can "attack with the earths might" using a move called "Gaia". The strongest version of this move is called "Grand Gaia".

* Isaac can attack with a bamboo weapon. From the image it appears that he can summon bamboo shoots out of the ground. This move is called "Punji". The strongest variant of this is called "Punji Strike". I think this is an interesting option that doesn't get mentioned very often.

* Isaac can summon demons (yes, you heard that!) using the move "Demon Night". There is a stronger variant of this called "Thorny Grave". Generally I wouldn't think this would suit Isaac in smash but on the other hand it might be kinda cool to have a curveball like this being part of his moveset.

* Isaac can "crush a foes skull" (yep, he's hardcore) by using one of the "Splitter" attacks. "Helm Splitter" or "Skull Splitter". The latter being the stronger of the two.

* Isaac can use his psynergy to summon a sword. Ragnarok is the one people are most familiar with but there's a stronger variant called "Odyssey". A vote for Isaac is a vote not just for one sword but also a giant freaking spectral sword. It's two for the price of one.

* Isaac can summon a giant psynergy hand (These next few abilities are known as "Utility Psynergy") which he can use in various ways. "Catch" is among the most well known and he uses it to grab various objects in the overworld. It doesn't take much imagination to know where this could factor into his Smash moveset.

* Isaac can use the psynergy "Move" in order to push various objects. This was the ability he used in his Brawl appearance as an assist.

* Isaac can summon two giant psynergy hands in order to lift and carry light objects. This is significant for a few reasons. It shows that Isaac is not just limited to summoning one of these hands at a time like he does in his appearance in Brawl as an assist trophy. We could also assume that Isaac could potentially use these hands to lift him up short distances or throw enemies off the stage.

* Isaac can use the "Scoop" psynergy to dig in soft ground. He could potentially use it as a sand attack in Smash Bros. Although I don't think it's one of his more interesting abilities.

* Isaac can use the "Pound" psynergy to summon a giant hand to pound an object into the ground. Think about how satisfying it would be to be able to summon a giant fist in Smash Bros to slam down on your opponents head.

* Really Isaac's hand based psynergy has a lot of potential. On one hand there's what we know he can do with them in the games, but on the other hand there's what we know hands can do in general. He could use them to slap, punch, poke, give the finger or do any manner of fun stuff if Sakurai was feeling extra creative. For example he could summon a giant hand to give a thumbs up as part of a taunt or victory screen. How about if he loses a battle he summons two giant hands to clap for him?

* Isaac can use the "Halt" psynergy to cause moving objects to stop moving instantly. This could be a paralyzing attack although this wouldn't be something unique to Isaac. It is an option however.

* Isaac can also "Hover" short distances and "Teleport", although these aren't particularly unique to Isaac. However he is capable of doing it.

* Isaac can use Djinn to attack (each have a different effect in battle) or when set change his class and allow him to use powerful Summons. There are four kinds of Djinn based off the four psynergy types. Clockwise in the above picture: Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Mercury. Look at those cute faces.

* If Isaac is wielding the Sol Blade there is a chance that using his default attack will cause a weapon unleash called "Meggido" to occur. It's pretty much slamming a giant flaming meteor into your opponents face. Take that Mario! This could be an option for his Final Smash or they could create a more toned down version as part of his regular moveset.

* Isaac can, as mentioned above summon powerful summons. This would likely be where Isaac would get his Final Smash. "Judgement" in the above picture is the most well known summon and would be a prime candidate for Isaac's Final Smash. "Judgement" flies high up into the sky and shoots a beam of energy out of a Lion head cannon (Hello? Can I get an "Awesome!"?) towards the ground which then explodes into a ball of energy wiping out everything in it's path.

====Beyond this point is where I think the attacks become less appropriate for Isaac's moveset in Smash====

* If Isaac has the tamer class he can actually summon various animals and monsters to help him fight. He can summon a Wild Wolf, an Orc, a Dinox (it's like a dinosaur), a :troll:, an Emu, a Harpy, a Gryphon, a Minotaur, a Roc, a Grand Golem, a Living Armor and a Ghost Soldier. Personally I don't feel this move would be significant enough to add to his moveset, but he can certainly do it. I feel like something like this would eat too much into the earth side of his moveset. There's enough here for an entire moveset in and of itself!

* I'm not too sure about this one but if Isaac has the "Pierrot" class in The Lost Age he gains a deck of cards that he can use to attack. However most of the attacks used through the deck are Fire and Wind based. So it wouldn't really be appropriate for Isaac. There are some Earth aligned moves such as "Sabre Dance" though, which is an attack of multiple dancing blades. Even MORE swords!

* Isaac can use an attack called "Annihilation" although it is a one hit KO move and would not really be appropriate. However Isaac CAN do it. It would probably make Isaac a great counter to Diddy Kong though. (and everyone else in the game)

* Isaac is capable of healing himself. It probably won't end up being part of his Smash moveset, but he can still do it if necessary. "Cure" is the weakest up to "Potent Cure" which is the strongest. He can also "Revive" allies, which isn't appropriate for Smash so I'm just slipping it in here.

* Isaac can also call upon the undead using a group of psynergy called....."Call" (so I suppose you could say with the right class he can be a necromancer) He can call a Zombie, a Demon and the Dullahan. Again I'm not sure if these attacks would really suit Isaac, but he can do it.

* He can also use Mars (Fire), Jupiter (Wind) and Mercury (Water) psynergy too but that's not what really makes him unique. (although there are definitely some really cool unique moves among the other elements.

* Lastly this is something only Felix is capable of but if Sakurai felt like pulling a Ness with Isaac he could give Isaac the ability to use "Sand". It's an earth psynergy that allowed Felix to turn into sand and use it to navigate the overworld. We could have a Smash fighter capable of actually turning into sand and moving around the stage. Think about that for a second.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Man, all this signature craziness makes me want to make some now.
I'm going to have to make my own soon, I want to do Hades, Agnes, Masked Man, and maybe Melia soon since they haven't got much of a movement yet.
It's a good thing I have a lot of time to make some until October 3rd.

Last edited:

~sDot~

Smash Rookie
NNID
I voted for Ninten, Rayman, and the Ice Climbers being separate characters or alts.
Ninten's Moveset: (Ninten Beams In!)
His A attacks:
Neutral A: Two kick and one punch combo (combination of Ness' and Lucas')
Side A: A kick that does 6% damage
Up A: Head Bash
Down A: Same as Ness or Lucas'
Side Smash: Hank's Bat (strongest bat in Mother 1)
Up Smash: A PSI attack where he waves his hands
Down Smash: A PSI attack similar to lucas' but moves like Ness' yoyo
Neutral Special: Hypnosis (moves like PK Flash or Freeze) and makes the opponent dizzy
Side Special: PK Beam or Slingshot or Boomerang
Up Special: Telepathy
Down Special: PSI Shield
Final Smash: 4th D-Slip

Idk what Rayman's moveset could be tho. :p
(Rayman Winds Up for a Fight!)

Nana/Popo's moveset (Popo Breaks the Ice!/ Nana Breaks the Ice!)
Their A Attacks are the same
Neutral Special: Same as before
Side Special: Same as before, Popo's doing one hefty hit while Nana deals multiple hits
Up Special: Condor (the orange bird from Ice Climbers) flying for a short amount of time
Down Special: Same as before, but more powerful. Popo's freezes enemies while Nana's deals more damage, but doesn't freeze
Final Smash: Ice Mountain (like before, but crawling with enemies from the original Ice Climber)

Tell me guys what you think. :D

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Ninten
Ninten's Moveset: (Ninten Beams In!)
His A attacks:
Neutral A: Two kick and one punch combo (combination of Ness' and Lucas')
Side A: A kick that does 6% damage
Up A: Head Bash
Down A: Same as Ness or Lucas'
Side Smash: Hank's Bat (strongest bat in Mother 1)
Up Smash: A PSI attack where he waves his hands
Down Smash: A PSI attack similar to lucas' but moves like Ness' yoyo
Neutral Special: Hypnosis (moves like PK Flash or Freeze) and makes the opponent dizzy
Side Special: PK Beam or Slingshot or Boomerang
Up Special: Telepathy
Down Special: PSI Shield
Final Smash: 4th D-Slip

:D
I personnaly think that 4-th D sould be his up special and The 8 melodies be his final smash

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I really don't understand all the votes going for Zero. We have the chance to pick anyone, and a ton of people default to one of the best characters in MvC3? Seems like a bit of a waste to me, but eh. Opinions.

Voted for Wonder Red myself, though Dixie Kong or Inkling would be fantastic as well.

Last edited:

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
It's nice to see some support for Zero from the Mega Man series! I personally love Zero from playing the Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero games, but I also think he would truly be an amazing, combative, and very unique character for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. I was never fond of playing MvC or the like, but Smash Bros has always been an amazingly fun and competitive game. So what are we waiting for? Let's get him in SMASH!!

Let's introduce the powerful reploid from the Mega Man series, Zero!

Back-story and so forth
If you know Zero, move along. If not, decent summary below.
For those who do not know of this character, Zero is one of the very first of highly advanced robots with a human-like AI (known as reploids), and originally was a character created for EVIL!! He was created by Mega Man's nemesis, Dr. Wily, in hopes of finally destroying the Blue Bomber. Zero was discovered in the era of the Mega Man X series, and was awakened by a group of reploids known as the Maverick Hunters. In doing so, Zero went into a manic frenzy and destroyed the entire group The powerful leader of the Maverick Hunters, Sigma, inspected the incident himself. When he did, he was brought to the brink of death by the chaotic red reploid, and was facing certain demise, until Zero experienced a bizarre malfunction, atributed to the Maverick Virus inside of Zero's mind, and gave an opening for Sigma to defeat Zero. By shattering his head lens, the Maverick Virus was unknowingly leaked unto Sigma, while Zero was cleansed himself. Shortly after, Sigma experiences bouts of insanity and rage, and becomes a Maverick himself, while Zero is assigned as a Rank SA Maverick Hunter (the highest rank aside from the leader). After, this the Mega Man X series begins, as X and Zero fight for humans and reploid kind, keeping peace and destroying Mavericks like Sigma.

"So why should we add another swordsman to the roster? Too many already, right?!"
It might be some people's thoughts that Zero would be "just another swordsman", and not add a whole lot of versatility to an already versatile character-pool. However, this is not quite the case. Zero is not just a skilled swordsman, but a powerful and unique reploid, with many tools, weapons and skills at his disposal. Not only does he don his Saber, but Zero also wields a built-in arm cannon, known as the Z-Buster, which shoots very powerful blasts of energy. Along with this, Zero learns many Special Techniques that he learns from defeated enemies, very similar to Mega Man himself. In short, he offers much more than other swordsman, in terms of ability and weaponry.

Zero is an agile and bulky reploid
Being fairly similar in design to Mega Man, both structurally and stylistically in the games, it makes sense for Zero to be fairly floaty and easy to alter direction in the air. As for his ground game, the major thing that would set him apart from Mega Man's mobility is his dash ability; this would make his running animation slightly faster. His weight ideally would be similar to Mega Man's, but slightly heavier; I imagine having a weight around Samus', give or take.

Zero is a powerful swordsman that wields the light and powerful energy blade, the Z-Saber!

The bulk of his basic and primary attacks are reliant on his beam sword, the Z-Saber. Quick to the draw, this sword is unique in that it does not have a fixed length, but rather extends and retracts based upon Zero's power output. In terms of Smash Bros, this makes his style unique, as certain Saber attacks will be shorter, while others will be longer. Not only is the length prone to change, but the curvature of the Saber itself when swung changes as well, making some attacks have a larger hitbox than others. All in all, the Z-Saber is a unique weapon that is set apart from other swords.

Zero's arsenal is not limited to basic swordsman skills, but diverse and filled with Special Techniques!
While his basic Saber skills would be the primary bulk of his normal A-attacks, Zero has a wide variety of Special Techniques and other powerful skills at his disposal as well, setting him further apart from the traditional Smash Bros swordsman movesets. From powerful elemental attacks like Ryuuenjin and Raijingeki, to projectile attacks like Hadangeki and the Z-Buster, Zero can show off a pretty wide variety of entertaining and deadly attacks.
The ever so powerful Ryuuenjin! A quick, fiery rising slash that is sure to interupt your opponent's advance, and deal some nice damage.

Hyouretsuzan, a slow, but deadly downward icicle thrust, dealing heavy damage to those below.

Shippuuga, a powerful and quick Dash Attack, able to invade your opponent's space and gives Zero a setup for combos!

Kuuenzan, the spinning aerial slash attack, cutting enemies from all sides! A nice, reliable aerial attack.
Sentsuizan, a fast and aggressive downward strike. Would likely suit well as a Down-B, similar to Bowser's Down-B.

Raijingeki! The very powerful, high damaging thunder stab, would make for a nasty Forward-Smash

As for projectile attacks, Zero has two very iconic weapons. The first being his arm cannon, the Z-Buster, which shoots powerful energy blasts, and the second being Hadangeki, a powerful wave-slash that is launched from Zero's Saber. These attacks are great by themselves, and especially useful when chained together, as shown in this animation:

Earth Crush, a powerful ground smash that breaks the earth apart!

And of course, viable and very entertaining options for his final smashes...

REKKOUHA!
Or, the massively powerful wave slash...

GENMU ZERO!!

So what would be Zero's strengths? How about his weakness'?
Here's what I think is an accurate and logical description of his strengths and weaknesses:
Pros:
o Quick and smooth attack execution and transition
o Able to pull of many successful attack combinations
o Multiple attacks would have great reach
o Utilizes great ranged projectile attacks in tandem with melee attacks
o Fast and agile ground movement
o Great air mobility and maneuverability

Cons:
o Most attacks would have low damage output
o Multiple moves would have a punishing end-lag, leaving Zero vulnerable
o Fewer reliably powerful KO moves than other characters of similar weight

He seems like he could be a balanced character, while having both welcoming strengths and cautionary weaknesses. Zero can quickly pull together a string of attack combinations if placed correctly; albeit low damage for individual attacks, multiple attacks stack up damage quickly! But don't get sloppy, as a poorly placed attack will leave Zero open for certain doom. Even at high percentages, it may be difficult to land KOs easily, but don't give up! Keep the pressure high, and the opportunity will arise!

Is that it for Zero?
Seems like it, I hope I didn't leave anything out!!

All in all, I wholeheartedly believe Zero would be a fantastic character to play as in Smash Bros. I think he would be a very fun and entertaining character to play with, his moveset fresh and unique, the ability to have various Custom Specials at his disposal, and being something different than what Smash Bros currently has. As for being a competitive player, Zero definitely takes the cake, while the novice player might have trouble getting used to Zero in competitive play, seasoned players will welcome this unique and powerful character with open arms.

So what are we waiting for? Let's get Zero into SMASH!!!

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I voted for:

Team Rockets Meowth from Pokemon
Magolor from Kirby
Marshal from Rhythm Heaven Fever

what I want to vote on:
Shantae
Shovel Knight
K Rool
Ridley
Riki
Syrup from Wario Land
Waluigi

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I voted for King K. Rool.

I'd also love to see Shovel Knight and Henry Fleming, even though I know that's unlikely.

hewhoamareismyself

Smash Rookie
I voted for Ghirahim, I could see him being a nice alternative to the current trend of all villains are heavy as ****. Also, just by going off of series popularity in the US (which is not a good way of basing things to be fair) there really isn't any reason why FE could have the same number of characters as LoZ. That much put me over the edge between K. Rool and Ghirahim.

I also have a vote from way outta left field for Reimu (Touhou Project). Not Nintendo, not gonna happen, but it's something I want.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we as a community should come together and unite our efforts in getting the most deserving character into the game. But there's no way that's gonna happen.
Probz gonna vote for Banjo & Kazooie or Chibi-Robo... convince me otherwise.
i dont think so, someone could hate krool and wolf (im neutral on wolf and would be fine with krool) the most "deserving character" could hypothetically be hated by some.
imo everyone gets to vote for their choices (except characters not on Nintendo and non video game characters)

~sDot~

Smash Rookie
NNID
I personnaly think that 4-th D sould be his up special and The 8 melodies be his final smash
Well, the Eight Melodies were from Earthbound, not Mother. I thought it could be his final smash cuz that's his special move that only he could do, like Ness and PK Rockin and Lucas with PK Love.

I've thought about Rayman's moveset though:
Neutral Attack: His standing combo from Origins and Legends (3 weak punches and one strong punch)
Side Weak Attack:His kicks from Legends
Up Tilt: Not charged up attack from Origins and Legends.
Down tilt: Leg sweep, kinda like Mario's Dr. Mario's, or Luigi's
Side smash: Charged normal attack from Origins and Legends
Up Smash: Charged up attack from Origins and Legends
Down Smash: His slam from the Origins games
Neutral Air: Spinning around, like Ness or Zelda
Side air: A kick, like Lucario's
Up Air: His midair vertical kick from Origins and Legends
Down air: His slam attack, but this time, he goes straight down (possible spike at the beginning)
Neutral Special: His orbs from Rayman 2
Side Special: Throwing his fist from the original Rayman
Up Special (Recovery): Carried by the Moskito
Down Special: Eating a fruit for improved stats
Final Smash: Getting his guitar and ROCKIN THE **** OUT or his blue fist friends from Legends

~sDot~

Smash Rookie
NNID
It's nice to see some support for Zero from the Mega Man series! I personally love Zero from playing the Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero games, but I also think he would truly be an amazing, combative, and very unique character for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. I was never fond of playing MvC or the like, but Smash Bros has always been an amazingly fun and competitive game. So what are we waiting for? Let's get him in SMASH!!

Let's introduce the powerful reploid from the Mega Man series, Zero!
Wow, dude. You obviously thought long and hard about this. I think Zero can get in too.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It seems the three most popular choices so far are: King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, and Inkling!
Though Paper Mario and Geno aren't doing bad at all so that's nice! ^_^

I wonder if characters like Midna, Skull Kid, Ashley, and Ridley have a fair chance to make it in as future DLC already being in the game?
I've already voted for these characters several times, but has anything officially been said about assist trophies/stage bosses not being considered at all for DLC?
Someone tell me if they've heard anything like this pretty please~

Last edited:

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
It seems the three most popular choices so far are: King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, and Inkling!
Though Paper Mario and Geno aren't doing bad at all so that's nice! ^_^

I wonder if characters like Midna, Skull Kid, Ashley, and Ridley have a fair chance to make it in as future DLC already being in the game?
I've already voted for these characters several times, but has anything officially been said about assist trophies/stage bosses not being considered at all for DLC?
Someone tell me if they've heard anything like this pretty please~
Paper Mario being anywhere near the top is disgraceful... There's already enough reps from the Mario series and if they had anyone it should be Waluigi, and the last thing they need is another Mario...

That's what i fear about the "Vote" i'm afraid it will be squandered on a useless character..

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Paper Mario being anywhere near the top is disgraceful... There's already enough reps from the Mario series and if they had anyone it should be Waluigi, and the last thing they need is another Mario...

That's what i fear about the "Vote" i'm afraid it will be squandered on a useless character..
Paper Mario isnt a Mario character; he's a Paper Mario character! ;)

But seriously, he would have his own icon and he's a very unique character!
Much more unique than freaking Dr. Mario... have you even played any of the Paper Mario games?

But I feel ya, the Zelda franchise is terribly underrepresented in Smash Bros-
we still have the same number of Zelda characters in Samsh that we have from Melee and that was like, 13+ years ago WTF!?
And even with these facts, we still have people wanting something as random as Sceptile in from Pokemon-
like Pokemon doesnt have enough reps already? We just got Mew2! What more do these people want eh? :urg:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

View it in this way: the fact he's on top 10 proves me it's not a big issue as people might think it is.

and for the 50th time, you will never get Paper Mario, you will get his whole subsets, he's just a delegate to it, you never want him for him, you want him for the subset he would represent.

Meaning series and numbers, seriously, they don't matter.

So, yes, people want another mario, and no, it`s not disgracefull because it's actually not what they want....you oversimplify the situation....

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario isnt a Mario character; he's a Paper Mario character! ;)

But seriously, he would have his own icon and he's a very unique character!
Much more unique than freaking Dr. Mario... have you even played any of the Paper Mario games?

But I feel ya, the Zelda franchise is terribly underrepresented in Smash Bros-
we still have the same number of Zelda characters in Samsh that we have from Melee and that was like, 13+ years ago WTF!?
And even with these facts, we still have people wanting something as random as Sceptile in from Pokemon-
like Pokemon doesnt have enough reps already? We just got Mew2! What more do these people want eh? :urg:
I'm glad you were able to read between the lines, honestly, no i've never played Paper Mario, but i think having Mario, Doctor & Paper Mario is just too many Marios. I gladly exchange Doctor Mario for Paper Mario. Doc might as well be a palette swap.

I would absolutely love another Zelda character, or DK or almost anything. Just not Mario, Fire Emblem or Pokemon..

That said though, i'm not a fan of multiple of the same character, like i would have prefer if there was only one Link, one Mario.. not sure how i feel about Samus & Zelda/Sheik though as these two have completely different movesets.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm glad you were able to read between the lines, honestly, no i've never played Paper Mario, but i think having Mario, Doctor & Paper Mario is just too many Marios. I gladly exchange Doctor Mario for Paper Mario. Doc might as well be a palette swap.

I would absolutely love another Zelda character, or DK or almost anything. Just not Mario, Fire Emblem or Pokemon..

That said though, i'm not a fan of multiple of the same character, like i would have prefer if there was only one Link, one Mario.. not sure how i feel about Samus & Zelda/Sheik though as these two have completely different movesets.
Ok, I assume you don't want a semi-clone?

Because if it's the case, it's just VERY unlikely to happen. By that I mean it just wouldn't make sense and even worse, wouldn't feel natural for Paper Mario.

But unfortunately, you pretty much have to play the series to get it....it's just that he has so much like badges, partners and paper moves.

And the stylish.....they're so underused in movesets....

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

I was able to read between the lines becuz we feel mostly the same about this I believe~

I would happily exchange the Doc for Paper Mario as well; same goes for opting Dark Pit for Viridi :love:

We are severely overdue for another Zelda character or even a DK character, so if we get King K. Rool, even though I dont favor him I wont complain~

But trust me & aldelaro5 on this:
Paper Mario will NOT be a clonish character- he's just too different!
Paper Mario comes from an RPG series developed by Intelligent Systems, while the "normal" Mario comes from platform games.

If they chose to go the lazy route and make Paper Mario a "Luigi-ish" clone, that would be a terrible waste of an extremely unique moveset and a tragedy... :crying:

Since you like Zelda, you should really try one of the Paper Mario games! I recommend the 1st or 2nd one; the Paper Mario series has many adventure, questing, collecting, and exploration elements in it similar to the Zelda games~ :estatic:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I was able to read between the lines becuz we feel mostly the same about this I believe~

I would happily exchange the Doc for Paper Mario as well; same goes for opting Dark Pit for Viridi :love:

We are severely overdue for another Zelda character or even a DK character, so if we get King K. Rool, even though I dont favor him I wont complain~

But trust me & aldelaro5 on this:
Paper Mario will NOT be a clonish character- he's just too different!
Paper Mario comes from an RPG series developed by Intelligent Systems, while the "normal" Mario comes from platform games.

If they chose to go the lazy route and make Paper Mario a "Luigi-ish" clone, that would be a terrible waste of an extremely unique moveset and a tragedy... :crying:

Since you like Zelda, you should really try one of the Paper Mario games! I recommend the 1st or 2nd one; the Paper Mario series has many adventure, questing, collecting, and exploration elements in it similar to the Zelda games~ :estatic:
ok a few points:

I do not promote replacing dr mario because WHY???? and second he was in melee, he was cut in brawl, there;s still fans of it therefore, I have no complains and btw, no he doesn;t impact him AT ALL.

I mean just think there;s dr mario fans out there.....don;t be bad towards them....I just don;t like this.

And i wouldn't actually define it the same way you did. The genre and the dev have....not much to do. Granted, it is a different genre therefore, it SHOULD feel different, but the truth is so is mario and luigi.....

It just comes down to, his potential, how his subset is new to smash, how his subset is acknowledged by nintendo and popular in the world, how his subset is repped by a stage and his playstyle jsut sounding interesting among many other things his potential includes because he's the candidate I though his potential was crazy.

he's mario, that;s a fact, but in his case, it's an ADVANTAGE!

Trust me, I actually tried to explain it the same way you did and realised it was heavily incomplete....but now, I just feel that the logic I got is much more straight.

M&L isn;t as much important as is Paper Mario because of the acknowledgement difference and also, no stage....I have to emphase the stage because it's actually a big deal.

But for getting into the series, ANYTHING BUT sticker star. Seriosuly, yu gona regret if you chose SS.....

SPM is awesome for its story, but is extemely underrated and the gameplay works a bit differently, but is still awesome.

pm64 is currently the best to start. The game releases on WiiU VC in 10 days....really nice if you want to get into it. This game is the smoothest of the series, has all the base you get in TTYD, but is also the most limited because n64 hardware. Though, many loved this game and so, great way to play it.

TTYD is just....glorious. Take pm64 and have it the msot polished, that's TTYD. This game is just a masterpiece and is by far the most praised of the series for MANY reasons.

If you can, play them in order as if you like pm64, the games after has refferences to their previous one as easter egg, same for TTYD to spm.

Again, please, only play sticker star if you have played all 3 and you're aware that this game.....is just far from the series standards....

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
I made a post on the other board, but I feel this one should get more attention. If we can make a mass-vote as a Smashboards community, we'll probably get a better chance of getting our preferred character in. Personally, I'm torn between Wolf and Inkling, but there are a few others I wouldn't mind voting for either.
How did you make your signature? is there a generator? I've been seeing a lot of them.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How did you make your signature? is there a generator? I've been seeing a lot of them.
I think it's the third time I will say this :)

@N30N made a thread of these, but some support threads like mine has them.

Though, mine was made from ripped stuff and edited :)

Btw, @N30N , at this point, you should stick that thread cause so much want your stuff :)

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Based on my observations (and I could look somewhere else online and have a totally different observation), I have noticed that the following characters seem to be the most talked about (not including cut veterans):
1. King K. Rool
2. Krystal
3. Isaac
4. Inklings
5. Banjo & Kazooie

Of these, I would vote for King K. Rool or Isaac first, then Krystal. I don't particularly want Krystal, but her fans have been wanting to see her for quite some time... plus it'd be interesting to have a Starfox character who actually feel unique.

As for Inklings... I can't wait to play Splatoon, but we don't even know yet if the game will be great, good or just ...okay. Why don't we wait for them to solidify themselves as true Nintendo stars before we throw them in with our massive icons.

As for Banjo Kazooie... I think the creators over at Rare would like to see him in Smash because of all the free publicity they would get as a result... I say we should vote for someone who doesn't belong to a group of sellouts. Let them do their own advertising.

As for me? I'm voting for Dixie Kong and Impa. But quite honestly, I would be happy with any character Sakurai decides on. The roster is awesome now... anything else is just icing.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I had to say this. :4diddy::4sonic::4greninja: and :4littlemac: are super patched brothers, on Super Patched Bros or Wiiu and 3ds.

Get it? Patched Bros? .....

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Hmm,

Krystallize Smash!!!
Has been always wanting to ask, seeing how many Krystal campaigns out there:
  1. What makes you guys think a Staff that is almost always used by Fox in a game that was made by coincidence of the game's Main character being a fox (And thus the staff was never used(?) in later games), can be a part of the Krystal's moveset?
  2. Added to your argument, there are more weapons in different StarFox games. Sure, so tell me, why is Falco still a semi-clone, and the Final Smash still a Landmaster? With this in mind, what makes you think that Krystal, if she gets in, would be actually made a unique character? (Seriously, Wolf is more unique than Falco or Krystal is to Fox)
  3. What exactly makes Krystal unique alongside Fox or Falco, and the other Potential choice (Slippy Leon, etc)? Gender may be a thing, but some time back in Melee, Wolf was replaced by Falco in development due to potential misinterpretation from people who don't StarFox that Wolf is a "grey Fox", so would this potentially happen again (Added from point 2)?
  4. Sexualization? (Afaik, Krystal really almost had the clothes of Bayonetta)
  5. Yeah, polls and stuff. What exactly is the point when you actually picked away some bigger communities and gone for other ones just to show Krystal being high up? Couldn't the same be done to Shovel Knight, Wonder Red, King K Rool, Rayman, and whoever had their own polls with them being the top choice? (Just saying, this argument may not be so valid, I do see Krystal get a big fanbase, but... how to showed it really made me feel unjust)
Sorry if I offended any of you, just I just want to know why people, not all of them, but most wanting Krystal over Wolf, and can go far enough to say Wolf is a clone of Fox to say Krystal may not happen to be a clone of Fox. Again apologies if my wordings are too offensive or whatsoever.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
  1. What makes you guys think a Staff that is almost always used by Fox in a game that was made by coincidence of the game's Main character being a fox (And thus the staff was never used(?) in later games), can be a part of the Krystal's moveset?
  2. Added to your argument, there are more weapons in different StarFox games. Sure, so tell me, why is Falco still a semi-clone, and the Final Smash still a Landmaster? With this in mind, what makes you think that Krystal, if she gets in, would be actually made a unique character? (Seriously, Wolf is more unique than Falco or Krystal is to Fox)
  3. What exactly makes Krystal unique alongside Fox or Falco, and the other Potential choice (Slippy Leon, etc)? Gender may be a thing, but some time back in Melee, Wolf was replaced by Falco in development due to potential misinterpretation from people who don't StarFox that Wolf is a "grey Fox", so would this potentially happen again (Added from point 2)?
  5. Yeah, polls and stuff. What exactly is the point when you actually picked away some bigger communities and gone for other ones just to show Krystal being high up? Couldn't the same be done to Shovel Knight, Wonder Red, King K Rool, Rayman, and whoever had their own polls with them being the top choice? (Just saying, this argument may not be so valid, I do see Krystal get a big fanbase, but... how to showed it really made me feel unjust)
Sorry if I offended any of you, just I just want to know why people, not all of them, but most wanting Krystal over Wolf, and can go far enough to say Wolf is a clone of Fox to say Krystal may not happen to be a clone of Fox. Again apologies if my wordings are too offensive or whatsoever.
I support Krystal, she's not one of my most wanted characters, but she's still a character that I'd like to see in smash some day.

1. The staff is Krystal's staff. It's used by Fox in the game because Krystal is sealed in a crystal (the pun was probably intended by the developers of the game). Zelda uses Farore's Wind, Din's Fire and Nayru's love but those skills were used by Link in the game.

2. That's true, every character can be unique but clones still exist, this is a problem of game development and it's due to many factors, one of which involves the development time (clones are very easy to make).

3. The fact that she uses a staff as main weapon, the fact that she's mostly a melee fighter and doesn't use guns or force shields, and the fact that the staff has "magical" powers, that are probably powered by some sort of technology but they look more like magic than technology. Definitely unique to Star Fox.

4. That's not my case, I don't care of "furry", and to be honest I usually dislike the oversexualized "furry" characters.

5. I don't care of speculation made up from polls, or chances, or leaks; If I like a character, I support it.

I don't want Krystal to get over Wolf, I want Wolf and Krystal; I'm just more interested in Krystal for the reasons listed above.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Right, SF Adventures really IS a Zelda game.

Complaints about that game aside, what about the fact that Krystal is represented (afaik) as nothing more than a regular Spacie girl that is the flirt target of Fox (and Panther?)? My point is, sure she has been shown as a magic character in one game, but right after that, these "magic" stuff has been thrown out of the window, and was never mentioned again. Is this one game even enough to make Krystal stand out from other characters who seemed more interesting in the rest of the games?

Also for point 4, I don't mean that Krystal may potentially generate more furry stuff, but the fact that her clothing, if we're talking about Adventures, is almost like (more revealing than, actually) Bayonetta, and for the later games, still worse than ZSS imo.

For point 5, that is not for you, but for all campaigns which used polls as proof of rich fanbase and stuff. Though to be real no votes are "wasted", since this is a suggestion ballot, not an election poll, after all.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Heh, wasn't expecting a response after all this time. Sure, I'll answer or try to...

Krystal's staff is clearly hers although Fox uses it. When Fox acquires the staff he receives a message from Krystal telling him that the staff's powers will be revealed to him in time, implying she's aware of it's powers. She uses it in the beginning of Adventures herself.

But yes, the staff itself is so far limited to a Star Fox Adventure's appearance. She didn't use it in Assault favoring the same weapons as her teammates, and Command didn't feature on-foot portions at all. Still, the vast majority of Krystal supporters still reference the staff specifically because they want that unique weapon to be used. It's uniquely attached to Krystal. All the Krystal supporters I've talked to have mentioned it in their ballot vote. Plenty of existing Smash characters use and reference older appearances in their movesets. At the same time, there's plenty of characters that don't seem to reference canon appearances at all. Fox's original moveset for instance doesn't really resemble things he's actually done. There's no guarantee that Krystal will be unique. It's up to Sakurai and his team, but the same could be said of any other requested character. The staff is her best opportunity for being unique however.

Sakurai favors hanging onto what he's done before. History's shown he's not ready to change a character drastically in one gen, likely because it's easier to alter something existing than to start from scratch in the idea phase, and also so he doesn't alienate people who like the character's previous appearance too much. I would say Falco's moveset is like Fox's because it once was, and at the time of Melee's creation there wasn't a lot of other things to draw from.

Wolf on the other hand was the first sign that he wasn't going to draw from Assault for moveset inspiration, since Assault introduced machince guns, rocket launchers, grenades, mines, etc. Still, although Wolf is a derivative character, his moves look and function vary differently. All his standard attacks are unique with the exception of maybe bair. His specials definitely seem derivative, but really their appearance and function are different enough that you could as easily compare his specials to Falco's as you could Pit's to Falco's. Wolf is already quite unique in fact, but he could be made even moreso if he's made a DLC returning vet... which seems very likely. I'll admit that I liked how he was in Brawl and hope that he doesn't change too much. I would like the FS to change though and was disappointed but not too surprised that Falco's was the same in this game.

There appears to be a push towards more "uniquely evolved" characters. Falco was a clone that became a semi-clone and Wolf is simply derivative pushing the limits of the definition "semi-clone" for those that use that label. Yes, history has shown that Sakurai appears to favor making his spacies similar, but it's also shown that he's been venturing further and further from the same "cookie cutter form". Krystal has a great shot to fully break the mold. The staff would be the biggest most obvious way to do so, but there may be other unexplored avenues that the new Star Fox reveals. There's very little reason to believe Krystal would be more similar to Fox or Falco than Wolf regardless.

All the Star Fox characters have an opportunity to be unique. Some just aren't as obvious as others. Krystal is the next most popular Star Fox character after Fox, Falco, and Wolf and she has a legit argument in the staff. Slippy could be made unique too but we'd have to get more imaginative. Many people assume an Assault based moveset would still feel very similar to the current Star Fox cast's movesets, but the truth is it could be used to make any Star Fox character unique. Who knows what Star Fox Wii U will introduce either. The thing Krystal has on the other characters is that she has all the potential they do, plus Adventures to use as inspiration. A character like Slippy can use Assault's on-foot portions as moveset inspiration, same as Krystal... but Slippy can't use Krystal's staff without it seeming really weird and unprecedented. And yes, being a female representative for Star Fox is something unique too.

As a Star Fox fan, I see that Krystal has the next best chance of being in this game as a fourth rep due to her popularity and potential uniqueness. She'll get votes and if we get another Star Fox character after Wolf, it'll be Krystal. Then maybe we'll know just how much of her potential Sakurai explores. Because of her popularity status, it's hard to say what other team members would bring under Sakurai's supervision since Krystal is likely the next newcomer for Star Fox anyways.

About Sakurai choosing Falco over Wolf in Melee... my understanding was that graphical limitations were part of the issue as well. Wolf showed up in Brawl all the same and looked and played great.

Krystal's outfits in Assault and Command are perfectly safe. Her Adventures outfit does raise questions but no more than Shantae or Bayo really. I know people like to point to Samus too, but she actually has pretty good coverage on her outfits.

The only question is with her Adventure's appearance anyways, and we can see from Fox and Falco that their appearances are based on an amalgamation of appearances. It's likely Krystal would appear in something more resembling a flight suit. She might even get a coat too. There's also the unknown factor of what Star Fox Wii U will present us with. Krystal could have a combination of her Assault and Star Fox Wii U looks. It's hard to say. She's got the benefit of having numerous looks to pull from and only one of them could be argued as "not covered enough" for Smash 4.

Yeah, polls fluctuate. Depends on who's polled, where the poll is seen, and how many people vote. My references were just a few "proofs" is all. And when the average of all the polls I've seen at least are taken, Krystal is up there. I'm not saying she's a definite 1, 2, 3, or 14. I can't make that claim. I can only say that she's top 20 about 95% of the time, and top 10 about 60% of the time... this including vets. Among just potential newcomers, from my experience, she's more like 75% in the top 10. If we're including just Nintendo properties, she's more like 95% in the top 10, and third parties do face many more obstacles anyways. Among female characters within this category, it's just her and Dixie up there.

Yes, this is a point that can be argued for many characters. I made it all the same because it is a point and other people used it in this thread too for their characters. Some people might've been unsure where Krystal stands and my point there was just to tell everyone, "yes, Krystal is still quite popular and has a good chance". Beyond just her popularity, Krystal has other things going for her that could give her an edge over other popular choices too.

Anyways, no offense was taken. Glad you asked in fact rather than remain silent. Not sure if my answers have helped any and I don't expect to change minds really, but at least inform.

I actually really support Wolf myself but I also believe he should never have been cut and that this should be Krystal's opportunity now. I believe Wolf will come back as a vet, especially after seeing the Lucas reveal. Wolf is hugely popular on polls. If Lucas is any indication, it should be relatively easy to add Wolf into the game when compared to a newcomer. I believe Krystal can be in this game too. Likewise, I believe K. Rool and Dixie can make it together as well. Star Fox and Donkey Kong could really use more reps in my opinion. For Star Fox in particular, Star Fox Wii U coming out this year is perfect timing and a great excuse for some Star Fox love in Smash.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks for your reply.

For the first point, thanks for assuring me that Krystal really did only use the staff at the very beginning (Played 25% through Adventures and my emulator crashes), or whatever your points was. Just had to recap tho, the existence of the staff was a coincidence. And so was Krystal herself. Krystal was separate from the Star Fox franchise until Miyamoto(?) decided to merge Dinosaur Planet into StarFox, and that's why this "staff" was there. What that means, is that only for that one game, the staff was a thing. After that Krystal became nothing but a regular team member. To be frank, I wouldn't be so sensitive about the staff thing, if Krystal was a Dinosaur Planet rep. But nope, Adventures happened. The addition of this staff makes a really weird plot (Turning a Sci-fi game into a magic game, I would say) to the whole franchise, and having the Staff back would things more confusing for Star Fox.

For the moveset potential problem, I can see your point, but the problem imo is about *why* Krystal would be the one to break through. Not saying other characters (Not counting preexistings, because your point) has a higher potential, but if that could happen, it would have been done for Wolf. As you said, Sakurai may have no interest on making the members refer to the Assault game, but what I am thinking is, maybe this "Create magical fire-charging horizontally (almost)teleporting movesets" had already been a tradition for Star Fox characters. This happened when Star Fox was still a space shooter, where the team lurks on starfighters to shoot at things, and had no moveset potential. And once this happened, it became something iconic for the franchise. After the first Smash game, Fox landed, Blaster is an official thing, and there appeared more possible movesets for him. But this "Spacies have fantasy moves" tradition cannot be changed, as you've said, it wouldn't be practical to completely change a moveset for the character. The specials for Wolf has also proved this point. And if Krystal gets in, chances are, she will also get these kinds of movesets (Let's say even if she uses her staff, she might still get movesets of similar principle and be at most as unique as Wolf. With staves and boobies.)

One possible theory tho, is that the games since Adventure was taken less into consideration, due to them being created by third parties and how negatively the overall reception was. Assault, the game with more of a neutral reception, had a stage made for them, along with those smash taunts. Others are at most given as trophies. Since Star Fox 64 is still the most popular game in the series, it might be safer for developers to make characters more appealing to players. Again the Wolf case may have proved this, so.... um nevermind.

For the other parts, I don't think I have more points to give. Thanks again for understanding my intention as not to try to bash on you guys, but I would really want some points clarified.

Just saying tho, "Krystallization" is a really bad pun at least for me.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks for your reply.

For the first point, thanks for assuring me that Krystal really did only use the staff at the very beginning (Played 25% through Adventures and my emulator crashes), or whatever your points was. Just had to recap tho, the existence of the staff was a coincidence. And so was Krystal herself. Krystal was separate from the Star Fox franchise until Miyamoto(?) decided to merge Dinosaur Planet into StarFox, and that's why this "staff" was there. What that means, is that only for that one game, the staff was a thing. After that Krystal became nothing but a regular team member. To be frank, I wouldn't be so sensitive about the staff thing, if Krystal was a Dinosaur Planet rep. But nope, Adventures happened. The addition of this staff makes a really weird plot (Turning a Sci-fi game into a magic game, I would say) to the whole franchise, and having the Staff back would things more confusing for Star Fox.

For the moveset potential problem, I can see your point, but the problem imo is about *why* Krystal would be the one to break through. Not saying other characters (Not counting preexistings, because your point) has a higher potential, but if that could happen, it would have been done for Wolf. As you said, Sakurai may have no interest on making the members refer to the Assault game, but what I am thinking is, maybe this "Create magical fire-charging horizontally (almost)teleporting movesets" had already been a tradition for Star Fox characters. This happened when Star Fox was still a space shooter, where the team lurks on starfighters to shoot at things, and had no moveset potential. And once this happened, it became something iconic for the franchise. After the first Smash game, Fox landed, Blaster is an official thing, and there appeared more possible movesets for him. But this "Spacies have fantasy moves" tradition cannot be changed, as you've said, it wouldn't be practical to completely change a moveset for the character. The specials for Wolf has also proved this point. And if Krystal gets in, chances are, she will also get these kinds of movesets (Let's say even if she uses her staff, she might still get movesets of similar principle and be at most as unique as Wolf. With staves and boobies.)

One possible theory tho, is that the games since Adventure was taken less into consideration, due to them being created by third parties and how negatively the overall reception was. Assault, the game with more of a neutral reception, had a stage made for them, along with those smash taunts. Others are at most given as trophies. Since Star Fox 64 is still the most popular game in the series, it might be safer for developers to make characters more appealing to players. Again the Wolf case may have proved this, so.... um nevermind.

For the other parts, I don't think I have more points to give. Thanks again for understanding my intention as not to try to bash on you guys, but I would really want some points clarified.

Just saying tho, "Krystallization" is a really bad pun at least for me.
Nothing is certain. Krystal could be the Star Fox version of Lucina or she could be by far the most unique spacie in Smash. Supporters of Krystal look at her potential though, much like any supporter of any character does. Many of the concerns about uniqueness could be applied to any character.

The Krystal we know is not exactly the protagonist of Dinosaur Planet either. The original character was an adolescent anthropomorphic cat girl named Krystal. The Star Fox Krystal is a re-imagining and redesign obviously. Though the basis for the Krystal we know is rooted in this earlier Krystal, the Krystal of Star Fox is designed as a Star Fox character. This applies to the whole game. Adventures was a designed game, not nearly the accident or "coincidence" you imply. Elements from Dinosaur Planet that remained in Adventures were kept there by choice, including the staff. Miyamoto decided it was still a part of the game he wanted to keep. Although you could argue the design choices and building off of Dinosaur Planet were a mistake... they weren't an accident.

The game was actually well reviewed too. For what it was, it was actually a pretty good game. The trouble with it is that many fans didn't like the departure from the 64 gameplay. That doesn't make the game inherently bad however. Still, when you make a big change to a franchise like that, you have to really hit it out of the park to get a majority of fans supporting it. Adventures was "pretty good" for what it was, but that wasn't good enough. Metroid Prime was excellent and a masterpiece and even it took a bit for some hardcore Metroid fans to warmup to. And Adventures was perhaps simply "too far" of a departure from what Star Fox had been to that point. It didn't carry over the "essence of the game" like Prime managed to do, and that ultimately could be what really caused the divide. Assault, oddly enough, had weaker reviews but more neutral fan reception.

Yeah, the "mystical" environment of Adventures does seem kind of out of place among the rest of the Star Fox universe. At the same time, this is the same series where a villain manages to turn himself into a giant floating face and hands in space. There's always been a fantastical element to Star Fox. My feeling about the staff itself was that it could be a weapon that used ancient or alien technology to function and wasn't simply "magic". I don't think the staff returning for Krystal would be too weird. I've seen plenty of sci-fi that melds technology and "unexplained pseudo-magical things". Stargate does a lot that for instance. Something like Krystal's staff isn't so out of place in the Star Fox universe... at least in my opinion. What the staff actually is, is up for interpretation of course. I understand the feeling that the weapon would feel a bit out of place among the rest of the spacie tools, but it still is a very unique weapon that's canon to the series. Krystal could do or use other things that are more similar to the rest of the Star Fox characters, but then you'd sacrifice some opportunities for uniqueness. Like I said before, if Sakurai wanted to he could borrow from Assault or the new game and come up with something original. Wolf is already quite original and his moveset is only derived from the existing movesets of the other Star Fox characters.

The answer to "why" Krystal would be the one to break through? Because she's currently the next most popular character after Wolf, and only she has legitimate access to the staff for a moveset. Remove the staff from consideration and she still has access to all the things the rest of the Star Fox characters have access to for inspiration. Her popularity over any other Star Fox character also means that if Sakurai is looking for another Star Fox character after Wolf, it would be Krystal they'd explore anyways. Like I said earlier though, Sakurai and co could easily ignore all this potential, but this applies to any character.

My explanation for Falco was to say that he was initially added to Melee as a clone and hasn't been totally reworked since because that would depart from what's been established for him. Just because Falco was once a clone and is seemingly bound by that doesn't mean all other Star Fox characters must be too. Wolf went even further away from Fox in his first and so far only iteration. He may become even more unique, although I like the way he is personally. I never meant to imply that Krystal was going to be locked into "semi-clone at best" status. Again, anything is possible with any newcomer. I know Krystal's potential, but she could go in the super unique direction or the clone direction. As a supporter, I have to argue for the direction that has the most appeal to me or others. Similarly, Paper Mario supporters aren't hoping and dreaming for "flat Mario clone"... they want a unique character and they understand that that's a selling point and a possibility.

The Primes have gotten similar treatment in Smash 4 as Adventures. It may be true that second party collaborations get less love in Smash games. I don't think popularity is that big of an influence however when we're talking about established franchise representation. Other M has plenty of content in Smash 4, for instance. I believe that's as much to do with relevancy as anything however. That could be really the issue for Adventures... second party game that's not as relevant anymore either.

I like the pun alright. I was in favor of just the catch phrase "Krystallize Smash!" rather than using the long less catchy word "Krystallization". Too each their own. Puns are often quite subjectively funny or not.

Wow, rambled a lot more than I realized. Sorry about the long posts btw.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Well, yeah. Giant floating heads. It still looks more normal to me than Spirits getting into our body, plants that generate explosive seeds while living indefinitely, and a character that can use telepathy and make one see a floating head out of a staff without being scared of it. Opinions ohwellll

Though for the "Next popular" argument, I would again say that Slippy could just do as well. Given you took away the staff and stuff, then Krystal really won't have anything too significant from Slippy (and the rest of Star Fox team) other than the gender, debut and maybe reputation in polls. I mostly just see Krystal up there and, occasionally Slippy is being suggested as a joke character but, if he really appeared, it would do a much bigger surprise (and hype? idk) to the fans. One may suggest that Slippy had bad reputations (I see positive ones too, especially in Japan, where his voice is less of an annoyance), but so did Krystal, about the sexualization (as in furry porns? I've yet to see slippy in one, maybe he's just not quite well received and had no fur to be in one), the game she was stapled with, etc. Chances are, if Star Fox's gonna get a forth rep (I really don't see this coming to be frank), Slippy would be given a slightly higher consideration because of the "2nd part collabs get less love" possibility.

Also there would be some plot error in Falco's Smash Taunt in Lylat cruise, where the team members, including Krystal and Slippy, said they wanted to get in Smash. If they really got in, there would be problems. Whether the player bought the character or not, would make no sense if they're bought. One can argue by simply removing the conversation and replace with another one, since they need extra work for the new character's conversation anyway, but... hey, what would Krystal's Smash Taunt be? Panther endlessly flirting on her? (Okay I solved the question myself so nvm)

Anyway, "Krystallize Smash" for me sounds really like an evil one trying to take over and rule Smash using Krystal for me. In short really creepy. :/

Top Bottom