• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Democracy Thread

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Smash bros. now has a voting thread to vote for who you want to be in smash. Because of this, I feel people should wait, and make educated votes. To accomplish this, this thread is designed for people to post who they voted for, and why. Through this, we can avoid wasted votes on characters that are too obscure to be voted for. We can find what characters are being commonly vote for in order to make sure our votes count.
If you haven't voted yet, vote here > https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Last edited:

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Ok, there are three threads currently going on about this, and I'm not sure which one to use... I like this one because it's formatted as more of a "let's-rally-together-and-help-make-our-votes-count" thing, but the "Who'd You Choose & Why" thread is already more popular... I don't want to spam both with the same answer, so maybe I should just wait to see which thread takes off faster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I think Chrom or Zero would be a brilliant character to add into the game. I don't see much representation for him anymore, so I thought I'd speak up. But the OP should totally edit the most popular ideas into the original post (Snake, Wolf, Isaac, etc.) and people could list rational reasons why these characters should be added.

I love Sakurai for allowing this, it's genuinely awesome.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I made a post on the other board, but I feel this one should get more attention. If we can make a mass-vote as a Smashboards community, we'll probably get a better chance of getting our preferred character in. Personally, I'm torn between Wolf and Inkling, but there are a few others I wouldn't mind voting for either.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Did someone say DEMOCRACY? Abraham Lincoln from STEAM.

It's an excellent recent game, is teased to have a sequel (or major DLC maybe) in the works, and well...it's Lincoln.

He's basically the main character (the JP subtitle is Lincoln vs Aliens even) like Robin, and has a lot going for him. He can summon allys, or borrow moves from them. He could have a unique steam gague mechanic that limits his movement and/or attacks based on how much steam he has in his tank.

And, you know...it's Abraham Lincoln.

Stormfury12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
V-Raptor is built around speed, and combos. She is insanely smash (right behind Sonic in speed) and is lethal with sweet spots on her hook claws. She is light tho, and can be launched easily. Her normals are great for comboing and her specials can aids her movement and keep foes at bay! V-Raptor Baby!

Momaster12

Smash Cadet
There are a few characters I would love to see such as Shovel Knight, Roy, Rayman, Zero, Chrom and more. But like I bet some people are also asking, how do I go about picking just 1? How can I tell who would be the best fit for Smash?

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
As a diehard Fire Emblem fan, I would love to see either Roy or Chrom return. I voted for Roy personally as I think he is more likely and Ph1r3 is best. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Wolf or Snake either though.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Impa from Zelda. Why? Well why not? She would be a beast and a great rep for the Zelda franchise. I think she would fit in perfect with the current roster as well.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I feel like we as a community should come together and unite our efforts in getting the most deserving character into the game. But there's no way that's gonna happen.
Probz gonna vote for Banjo & Kazooie or Chibi-Robo... convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I feel like we as a community should come together and unite our efforts in getting the most deserving character into the game. But there's no way that's gonna happen.
Probz gonna vote for Banjo & Kazooie or Chibi-Robo... convince me otherwise.
You are right, everybody "knows" which character is better, of course this is totally subjective

Perd_Zapley

Smash Rookie
Some of the ideas that have caught my eye

Spyro, the Dragon - I'd love this, personally. Probably highly unlikely?
Professor Layton - Could have an innovative moveset, surely. Maybe pair him with Luke a la Rosaluma?
Paper Mario
Captain Toad
Knuckles - Another favorite of mine
Tails

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I think the most prevalent choices will be
Wolf, snake,Rayman, Isaac, Impa, inkling, Dixie Kong, Toad, Chrom, and of course, Ridley. I think we should have a poll including these and some more to determine the communities favorite newcomer. Who's with me?

Also INKLING is the best choice...

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
I'm definitely all for Zero from Megaman X. He'd be so cool since he could be a spacing character with a projectile :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I voted for Toad, here is my reasoning:
Toad has been a Mario staple for most of the series's history. He is one of the most Iconic video game characters in existence, and is recognizable by many non-gamers, not to mention very popular among gamers. He is a true nintendo all-star, and deseves to be in smash, either as classic or Captain Toad. Recent games like Captain Toad and 3d World have helped Toad come into his own and prove his worth, and now one of the last true all-stars should arrive in smash.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Why don't we narrow our sights on cut characters:
  • :roymelee:
  • :pichumelee:
  • :ivysaur:
  • :squirtle:
  • :wolf:
  • :snake:
Now, let the debates begin. :4wario:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
sorry, but definitely NOT pichu.
after that, i would love to see all of those characters come back

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Little Birdie! He's ridleys clone as a baby who killed two scientists to escape captivity. We all know Ridley won't be playable, He's far too big and he's in the game as a boss. So he won't be in smash. But little birdie could still make it in, he's tiny sure, but would be a very unique character.Plus metroid definitely needs more reps. here's a link to his wiki.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Birdie

D

Deleted member 269706

If we have an opportunity to bring someone new in, why would we skip it? Also, Roy is obsolete now with Lucina as a playable character. Pichu just doesn't seem important, and I've heard almost no complaints about Ivysaur or Squirtle being cut. With that said I wouldn't mind Wolf or Snake back...

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
I guess I'll drop my two cents in here. The consistent names that I see around the web (that are plausible) are Wolf, Chro, Chibi-Robo and based on memory: K-rool. In a really great post on reddit Zaindomoon points out that the most likely to succeed are those who aren't (or wouldn't be) clones, are nintendo originals, and come from a series with under representation. This leads me to believe the following:

1. Fire Emblem has four characters, and while I personally believe that Roy doesn't have to be a Marth clone, he is from a very well represented series, similar thoughts on Chrom.
  2. Sakurai has already expressed his thoughts on Ridley. Too, freaking, big. However, I believe that one of the hunters from Metroid: Prime Hunters may make for some ok characters options IF they weren't too obscure, and too gun using (Spire could work with a clunky rock playstyle, but nobody cares about Spire).
  3. K-rool could be pretty feasible, he's interesting, appropriately sized, from an under-represented series (given how HUGE Donkey Kong is), and most importantly, Nintendo owned.
  4. Zero from Mega Man could be great, he is from a 2d platformer so his kit wouldn't be too hard to create, fairly popular. I think his only real hindrance is that he isn't Nintendo owned.
  5. Chibi-Robo is probably just a little too obscure, although he does have a 3ds game on the e-store.
  6. Wolf is VERY probable. He has all the boons of K-rool with two additional perks: There is an upcoming Star Fox game, and he was in brawl so they would have a pre-made kit.
  7. If I hear any more Shrek suggestions I'm going to come to the suggester's house and play bagpipes anytime they try to fall asleep.
  8. Pokémon has 5 characters and six with Mewtwo; as much as I love Ivy, we're not getting more Pokémon.
TLDR/Conclusion: The most probable candidate are K. Rool and Wolf. While I feel there are likely really good characters from the Metroid series and other games, they aren't widely popular opinions. So while there may be other good ones, these two will be the most likely candidates.

Angrod

Smash Rookie
Off Topic here first, where do I introduce myself?

Now, onto the thread, there are various posibilities onto who could be added into the game with ease.
  • Zero, from the Megaman Series: A lot of the people here have gave solid reasons onto why he should be added and I agree with them, he was even my vote for the ballot. His design is really cool and who doesn't love laser swords? His GBA series showed how much potential he'd have on the game, wide variety of moves and abilities.
  • Another character from the DK universe: I don't know, I'd say K. Rool as he's the main villain in the majority of the DK games and well he's just right for Smash. Maybe Dixie Kong could be added and not be a Diddy Kong clone despíte them being similar, although she could have different moves. Another candidate from this series could be Donkey Kong Jr. as he's had an appearance in some games. And lastly, probably someone from DK64 as they're all pretty unique on their own.
  • Another character from the MOTHER universe: Now that Lucas will be added, maybe someone else could be added such as Pokey although I couldn't really see him in game. Solid candidates from this series could be Claus (Lucas' brother, although his normal appearance is one of Lucas' color swaps) on his (kind of spoilery) Masked Man form which differs from Lucas. Maybe Flint could be added, from MOTHER 3 too.
  • Another character from TLoZ universe: This time, it could be an antagonist like Zant or Ghirahim (although I know he's an assist trophy). Or Young Link from the Majoras Universe, his final smash and moveset could be different from Toon Link. EDIT: Impa could also be a good choice.
  • Another Retro character: No clue here, but maybe someone else can suggest a Retro character. A single Ice Climber could be a possibility? Although I think doing that would make them lose the point (being a pair character, although we all know how that went).
  • Another character from F-Zero: I know, I'm aware F-Zero has not had any game since GX (Gamecube Version), but that doesn't mean another character from here couldn't be added. F-Zero has some weird characters and hell, C. Falcon himself doesn't show any of the moves he has in the game (Smash) in the anime or on his own games. Maybe a character like Zoda or Black Shadow could be added onto the game as they're antagonists and are fairly known especially for the fans of this series.
Here are some suggestions, and well apart from Zero, I don't see the possibilities of any 3rd party characters making it into the game. The suggestions I gave are based on the game's roster and based on the representatives each game has.

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I voted for Arle from the Madou Monogatari / Puyo Puyo series without hesitation. Why? The reasoning is simple: Her and her series are in a similar position to Earthbound and Fire Emblem before they achieved more awareness in part because of Smash. The series is wildly popular in Japan, they play it the way we play Smash or Pokemon, and has been unfairly ignored during it's few releases western-side because of our general stigma against puzzle games. ("Every puzzle game is just a Tetris clone at best.") The character/series is owned by SEGA, the same SEGA that gave Sonic to Smash. That means licensing would be a bit easier. A bit more female representation in Smash is a nice bonus on top of that.

I even went through the trouble of theorizing a moveset for her, because I have nothing better to do with my time and roleplaying. In Arle's respective games she is strictly a magic user, a classical RPG mage. She has elemental spells, support spells, gimmicky spells and healing spells. However, she also has quite a few other things going for her, such as some interesting items she collects during her classical RPG adventure or the staves she wields. Example: "Deep Forest Ribbon" is an item from her first game which, in-game, is a large ribbon that stretches out to grab or push things at a distance, sort of like Link's hookshot.

Theoretical Moveset

Jab

Magical ribbons lash out, slapping the opponent vigorously away.

Dash
Arle lunges forward, her magical ribbon whipping up to strike a foe away.

↔ Tilt
"Blizzard Level 2" Arle pelts an opponent with shards of ice.

↑ Tilt
"Thunder level 2!" Arle raises and electrifies her staff, zapping an unwary foe that gets too close.

↓ Tilt
"Fire level 2!" Arle launches a firebolt at the ground before her. Explodes on contact. Can meteor opponents.

↔ Smash
"Blizzard Level 4!" Arle dirrects a blast of deadly blizzard winds and snow with her staff that drains the heat from victims and sends them flying.

↑ Smash
"Thunder level 4!" Arle raises her staff with both hands and summons a mighty bolt of lightning from it to strike foes above her.

↓ Smash
"Fire Level 4!" Arle conjures an inferno around her, scorching anyone too close.

F-Air
"Blizzard Level 3!" Arle pelts the opponent with a blast of frigid winter air that sends them flying.

B-Air
"Thunder level 3!" Arle attempts to zap an opponent out of the air with a powerful bolt of lightning infused in her staff.

D-Air
"Fire Level 3!" Arle attempts to explosively meteor smash an opponent below her with a ball of fire.

U-Air
"Blizzard Level 3!" Arle blows the opponent high into the air with a concentrated blast of wind.

Special
"Obliterate!" Arle channels destruction magic in the form of a ball. Hits extremely hard, explodes on contact and has no range limit.

↔ Special
"Pacify!" Arle forcefully puts an opponent in their happy place, rendering them temporarily stupified and unable to defend themselves or think straight.

↑ Special
Arle taps into her Frog Boots, performing an extra frantic jump. She is capable of attacking during and after this jump, but the jump itself has no damaging properties. (Alternatively, maybe she has a tether ledge grab with her ribbon.)

↓ Special
"Reflect!" Arle conjures a magical shield that reflects projectiles and blocks melee attacks.

F-Throw
Arle grabs and wraps an opponent up in her ribbons, whipping them away.

B-Throw
Arle grabs and wraps an opponent up in her ribbons, whipping them away and using them for target practice with Fire Level 1.

D-Throw
Arle grabs and wraps an opponent up in her ribbons, forcing them down and knocking them out with her blackout spell.

U-Throw
Arle grabs and wraps an opponent up in her ribbons, whipping them away and using them for target practive with thunder level 1.

Final Smash
Satan, Rulue, Schezo, Amitie, Ringo or a combination of two of the afformentioned appear to assist Arle with their own magics and or fighting prowess. They are impervious to damage and will intercept any character that gets too close to Arle.

I voted for Toad, here is my reasoning:
Toad has been a Mario staple for most of the series's history. He is one of the most Iconic video game characters in existence, and is recognizable by many non-gamers, not to mention very popular among gamers. He is a true nintendo all-star, and deseves to be in smash, either as classic or Captain Toad. Recent games like Captain Toad and 3d World have helped Toad come into his own and prove his worth, and now one of the last true all-stars should arrive in smash.
When Peach pulls Toad out of her dress, will he vanish from the stage?~ ;o

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Because it could wind up a wasted vote.
Why?
Because it's very likely that they already Decided to bring all of these characters back as DLC.
According to this video's sources https://youtu.be/UKXcSCCHxv8?t=3m7s the only reason veterans didn't return was due to time constraints. Dr.Mario, Mewtwo and Lucas are proof of the development team's commitment to bringing ex-Smashers back, so we can hope that they keep up the good work until everyone is back. I doubt a newcomer proposed by the Smash Bros Ballot will affect this.

Last edited:

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
You know who we should vote for? Lanky Kong. He'd give another representation to the DK franchise (which needs more reps at current), he has a wide variety of moves to work with from the games he's been in, and now that DK64 is getting ported to the WiiU, he's now relevant again.
I'd love to see this funny face in Smash. Vote for Lanky Kong!

Attachments

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I for one, already know I want my vote to go to a character from a first party Nintendo series Not already represented by playable fighters or Assist trophies in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

3rd party characters like Rayman and Snake already have legions of support from their fans that they don't need my help.

So far my top candidates are the Inklings from Splatoon, whom I already Do want in the Next Smash Bros to come in the future.
But I'd also rather choose a character that Already has an established history with Nintendo.

I also have my eye on
Ray MK 3 from Custom Robo,
Jill from Drill Dozer,
Barbara the Bat,
and Isaac from Golden Sun are absent from Sm4sh as Assist Trophies so maybe there's room for them to promoted into playable status like Little Mac was.

Lip from Panel de Pon (re-skinned in the US as Tetris Attack) her Stick is already a weapon since Melee, where's the rest of her?
Bubbles from Clu Clu Land has Urina as an item and a song...

Characters with trophies have high chance of becoming playable like Pit, Palutena, Wario, King Dedede and Villager were,
How about Putty from Magical Starsign,
Chibi Robo,
Wonder Red from the Wonderful 101,
Tempo from HarmoKnight,
Sakura Samurai,
someone from Fossil Fighters,

Or for a character not mentioned in any way, somebody from Pilot Wings 64. Lark from that game has a history with Nintendo Power.
There's also a classic NES game StarTropics that was a reverse Earthbound, only released in the US and Europe but not in Japan. The main character would have my support, but he looks so... bland...

I'm just tossing names for consideration to help this debate. I haven't decided my vote yet.

An important part about choosing a newcomer for Smash is that they need to contribute something unique and worthwhile to the overall roster! That alone narrows some names off of this list.
This is hard for me to decide because a lot of characters I did want for Sm4sh are already in it to some capacity.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I haven't voted for her, but it would be cool to see dixie kong (or any other kong for that matter) join the roster. Dixie could be a diddy clone with completely different specials and some different attacks (I would love to see her have Diddy's Hoo-Ha, but with less power)

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I haven't voted for her, but it would be cool to see dixie kong (or any other kong for that matter) join the roster. Dixie could be a diddy clone with completely different specials and some different attacks (I would love to see her have Diddy's Hoo-Ha, but with less power)
I agree completely. That's why I'm voting for my favorite Kong, Lanky. He has a really large potential to be... unique. He has a really good shot at being something special here!

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice

Poo from Earthbound / Mother 2!!!

Some Ideas I've liked from skimming above are and around the boards are..
-toad - but playing vs peach with her counter would be ... odd
- tails
- king k rool - don't like heavy characters myself but could be cool
- crono from chrono trigger

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
And in three weeks they'll announce the upcoming release of Slippy Toad.

Top Bottom