• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Dreamtastic72

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dreamtastic72
3DS FC
4055-4504-6947
Hi Smash 3C team. I'm going to upload a Smash 3 ready Project M 3.6b build for everyone here pretty soon. Is it ok if I can use your work that you guys did for this thread? I'll give full credit of course.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Hi Smash 3C team. I'm going to upload a Smash 3 ready Project M 3.6b build for everyone here pretty soon. Is it ok if I can use your work that you guys did for this thread? I'll give full credit of course.
I'd recommend you only include the costume files and necessary menu files, especially with all the changes in 3.6b like ASL. I am sure a lot of people have set up their ASL with some swankness and don't want to overwrite their changes. But of course, go ahead.

As a side note, there will be a Smash 3C pack eventually uploaded once the Smash 3 update is out, and it'll include some Smash 3-style renders for any characters' alts that haven't been finished by then - I don't imagine anyone is going to finish Samus or Ganondorf any time soon. They won't look as good without the new textures, but at least they'll match a bit better. Here's an example of one I did for Ganondorf a while ago, with the Smash 3 CSP for comparison.

Dreamtastic72

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dreamtastic72
3DS FC
4055-4504-6947
I'd recommend you only include the costume files and necessary menu files, especially with all the changes in 3.6b like ASL. I am sure a lot of people have set up their ASL with some swankness and don't want to overwrite their changes. But of course, go ahead.

As a side note, there will be a Smash 3C pack eventually uploaded once the Smash 3 update is out, and it'll include some Smash 3-style renders for any characters' alts that haven't been finished by then - I don't imagine anyone is going to finish Samus or Ganondorf any time soon. They won't look as good without the new textures, but at least they'll match a bit better. Here's an example of one I did for Ganondorf a while ago, with the Smash 3 CSP for comparison.

Thanks and yes, I'd just included the necessary files for the build. It's a simple click and drag to the SD card.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Worked on a little something personal for sonic since i was bored. I like to call it anti sonic. Ill show some previews later on.
But now, look at this edited CSP. Sonic_00_CSP.png
No, its not the final CSP, just something of how he would look.

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Worked on a little something personal for sonic since i was bored. I like to call it anti sonic. Ill show some previews later on.
But now, look at this edited CSP.View attachment 59625
No, its not the final CSP, just something of how he would look.
It looks pretty good, but I think it looks too much like regular Sonic to be an appealing anti-version of him. If I was going to make a costume opposite of Sonic, I'd go for a Scourge (Archie Comics) or Ashura recolor, maybe vertex too, if you have 3ds Max (I don't, cause for complicated reasons, my 64-bit computer is running 32-bit Windows 8... Ugh). If you want to keep this kind of design though, I suggest making it a bit more than Boom Sonic with red eyes and different gloves and shoes. Maybe mess around with the fur color, just make it more unique, I guess.

Also, I've started working on Smash 3 textures for Fusion Suit Samus (following Taiko's guide), but this is my first time making a texture like this, so I'm a little unsure of where to go next... I've done the base shapes and the line detailing, but what tools should I use to get a good lighting effect on the suit? Sorry if it's simple or obvious...

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
So I took that Smash 3 Kirby that appeared on the Vault and rendered it. My first succesful Smash 3 Render.

All CSPs BPs CSS Icons and Stocks are done
I'm waiting for an answer from the guy who made it for permission on releasing the CSPs alongside the actua character files.
Here's the album to the renders of all the costumes- http://imgur.com/a/Notzq

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So I took that Smash 3 Kirby that appeared on the Vault and rendered it. My first succesful Smash 3 Render.
I'm waiting for an answer from the guy who made it for permission on releasing the CSPs alongside the actua character files.
The render is great, but I feel his mouth is off. Any Kirby art always shows the inside of his mouth rather than just a black shape, so he looks sorta strange this way IMO.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman

The lighting and pose look pretty good, but why is there a white outline on all of them? Did you not make the emission plane transparent? I also don't imagine he'd be too happy about you wanting to re-package his character files. You might be better off redoing these and offering them as alternate portraits.

You could also smoothen Kirby out by adding a modifier for subdivision surface. It doesn't work with everything, but when it does, it looks much, much better. The mouth also throws me off a bit as well - is Kirby's mouth normally that big and black?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
It took me forever to get a good render down for kirby, the mouth was especially difficult to work with. I'll try to redo it and he told me to go ahead and use it, so long as I give him credit. The Kirby has a white outline, not because of transparency errors, but because the pink blends in with the backlight panel, and I use paint.net, which isn't the best at telling colors apart.

Last edited:

TheLazyVidya

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheJoseRocks
I'm glad everyone likes the work I put into making Kirby!

by the way, a few days ago I made a Smash 3 preview image for Brawl Vault, but I don't know how to make it fit. can I get some help?

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
It looks pretty good, but I think it looks too much like regular Sonic to be an appealing anti-version of him. If I was going to make a costume opposite of Sonic, I'd go for a Scourge (Archie Comics) or Ashura recolor, maybe vertex too, if you have 3ds Max (I don't, cause for complicated reasons, my 64-bit computer is running 32-bit Windows 8... Ugh). If you want to keep this kind of design though, I suggest making it a bit more than Boom Sonic with red eyes and different gloves and shoes. Maybe mess around with the fur color, just make it more unique, I guess.
Well, to tell you, i want the scarf on him but i cant import the scarf onto him.... I actually didnt know what i shouldve called it, so thats why im calling it anti sonic. Though, i dont think i can do scrouge, for me, a ashura recolor is kinda easy. but im not doing that. Also, i think ill give it black cuffs instead of red, and a red scarf. Sounds good or no?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Well, to tell you, i want the scarf on him but i cant import the scarf onto him.... I actually didnt know what i shouldve called it, so thats why im calling it anti sonic. Though, i dont think i can do scrouge, for me, a ashura recolor is kinda easy. but im not doing that. Also, i think ill give it black cuffs instead of red, and a red scarf. Sounds good or no?
Yeah, that could work, but I think you should adjust the fur color to make it different. Maybe give him different shoes, too, I'm not sure how good the brown boots would look with the adjustment. Also, sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't realize the name was just to call it something.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Yeah, that could work, but I think you should adjust the fur color to make it different. Maybe give him different shoes, too, I'm not sure how good the brown boots would look with the adjustment. Also, sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't realize the name was just to call it something.
I actually wanted the fur to be like that with brown boots... I thought it looked nice. But im make the fur a bit more purple and blue. BTW, mind helping me import the scarf? I cant.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Preview time? Preview time!
Melee Falco:
http://i.imgur.com/xiJMMLO.png

Falco has had some nice changes, first of all unless the other updated parts get in the way his jacket will be 512x512 instead of 256x256 as the PM model is. Which is a huge boom. I also reworked a ton of the stitching seams, most notably the one on Falco's sleeve was moved to the other texture end and doesn't get stupidly blurry as it did before. I'm not sure if we showed off the new boots on Falco but they look nice too!

It's quite nice to rework my first (released) S3 style texture, I'll likely release this when S3 comes out as well for the sake of that blurry ugly jumpsuit.

Also I certainly had some fun on this: http://i.imgur.com/eHMQlgq.png

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I'm glad everyone likes the work I put into making Kirby!

by the way, a few days ago I made a Smash 3 preview image for Brawl Vault, but I don't know how to make it fit. can I get some help?
Your image is 492 pixels wide. You want to change that to 490. Make sure you upload it to Imgur in an album containing renders or previews. Open the image from the album in a new tab and copy the url. On Brawl Vault, put it in the thumbnail section, rather than images/videos.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
So work on Awakening Marth has been going nowhere fast. I don't want to cut corners and have something of subpar quality, especially with all of the amazing work everyone's been producing lately. If anyone else manages to get him right, I'd love to see it.

So while I've dropped one Marth-related project, I've decided to work on another one that's more feasible for me. While I like the textures and coloring of Smash 3C's Brawl Marth, I also love Smash 3's Shadow Dragon Marth model. So as a means of combining the best of both worlds, I modified Brawl Marth's textures with the help of Smash 3 Marth's PSD files (to add a few details to the tunic, pants, and boots for example) and applied them to the Shadow Dragon model. I know the idea is far from original, but I think they turned out nice enough to share with you guys.

So instead of showing a screenshot, I'd like to switch it up this time and try something different:

This is more of a proof of concept, it's nowhere near final for obvious reasons.

Thanks to the awesome tutorial by @ ledgerewskie ledgerewskie , I finally managed to get the process of rendering down... somewhat. While I still intend to render him on my own, I wanted to ask a few questions so I can get the render done correctly (thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any insight).

First, how did you guys get parts like Marth's cape to display the correct textures on the inside and outside? Since it's composed of three different texture files, they have to layer on top of each other, but I'm not sure how to do that. I think a similar approach might work for the eyes, since I can't get the eye color, iris, and highlights to show up simultaneously either.

Second, would it be possible for the person who rendered Brawl and Holy War Marth to share the file they used to pose Marth for the render? While I'm fine with using the pose that I am currently modifying, I'd like to also have CSPs that match Holy War Marth for consistency's sake.

And third, what can I adjust for the textures that have transparency on parts like the hair to make the transparent parts... more transparent and less blocky? My nodes appear to match the ones on the tutorial, so I'm not sure if I overlooked something or not.

EDIT: I got the hair fixed, the transparency nodes weren't set up correctly as I previously thought. So now all I have left to fix are the cape and the eyes (any help anyone's willing to provide would still be greatly appreciated though!).

Thanks again to everyone on both the Smash 3 and 3C teams for all of the great work you guys have produced that allowed me to play around with files and make things like this!

ANOTHER EDIT: So with some more help from @ ledgerewskie ledgerewskie , I've done some major updates to Marth's render. It's not finished yet (still have to fix the cape), but it's taken some huge leaps forward. If you guys liked that draft I posted like I think you did, then I hope you'll love this!

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
So work on Awakening Marth has been going nowhere fast. I don't want to cut corners and have something of subpar quality, especially with all of the amazing work everyone's been producing lately. If anyone else manages to get him right, I'd love to see it.

So while I've dropped one Marth-related project, I've decided to work on another one that's more feasible for me. While I like the textures and coloring of Smash 3C's Brawl Marth, I also love Smash 3's Shadow Dragon Marth model. So as a means of combining the best of both worlds, I modified Brawl Marth's textures with the help of Smash 3 Marth's PSD files (to add a few details to the tunic, pants, and boots for example) and applied them to the Shadow Dragon model. I know the idea is far from original, but I think they turned out nice enough to share with you guys.

So instead of showing a screenshot, I'd like to switch it up this time and try something different:

This is more of a proof of concept, it's nowhere near final for obvious reasons.

Thanks to the awesome tutorial by @ ledgerewskie ledgerewskie , I finally managed to get the process of rendering down... somewhat. While I still intend to render him on my own, I wanted to ask a few questions so I can get the render done correctly (thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any insight).

First, how did you guys get parts like Marth's cape to display the correct textures on the inside and outside? Since it's composed of three different texture files, they have to layer on top of each other, but I'm not sure how to do that. I think a similar approach might work for the eyes, since I can't get the eye color, iris, and highlights to show up simultaneously either.

Second, would it be possible for the person who rendered Brawl and Holy War Marth to share the file they used to pose Marth for the render? While I'm fine with using the pose that I am currently modifying, I'd like to also have CSPs that match Holy War Marth for consistency's sake.

And third, what can I adjust for the textures that have transparency on parts like the hair to make the transparent parts... more transparent and less blocky? My nodes appear to match the ones on the tutorial, so I'm not sure if I overlooked something or not.

EDIT: I got the hair fixed, the transparency nodes weren't set up correctly as I previously thought. So now all I have left to fix are the cape and the eyes (any help anyone's willing to provide would still be greatly appreciated though!).

Thanks again to everyone on both the Smash 3 and 3C teams for all of the great work you guys have produced that allowed me to play around with files and make things like this!
This looks great so far, and I'm glad that my short tutorial was able to help some. I am guessing the transparency issue was the mix shader having the two nodes in the wrong order, right?

Eyes usually require either some edits to the texture for the sake of rendering, or post work. The problem with them is that they rarely look at the camera, so I would suggest, for Marth, to create a Left and Right eye texture using his white, iris, and high textures that points his eyes wherever you want them to. However, there is a way to get all of the textures showing up correctly nonetheless. Here is how your nodes should look for Marth's eyes to stare straight ahead:

As for the cape, well I would recommend just removing the outside cape, and editing it back in in post. Marth's cape is weird like that.

I think it is time for an update. A R.O.B.-filled one.

This is the big one for today. R.O.B. has been updated to his 3.6 model, and his colors have been adjusted so that they are a pleasant shade of white (they were a bit blindingly white in the previous update). He also got some new shaders on his gyro and holder (so swank) and a new LED on his power button. The LED is normally green, but turns red when he's hit, and yellow when he has a Final Smash ball.

This one is a much smaller update. I wasn't really satisfied with the CSP before - it was too dark and didn't match as well as it could. So.. it's only a render/CSP update. That's all it is. The textures are all the same, but hey at least there are new screenshots for him. I even forgot to hide the start screen GUI in some of them, so check out what a moron I can be if you want!

wow so intelligent

And with that, the PM R.O.B. alts are finished!*

*unless someone figures out how to rimlight Mario Kart R.O.B.

But wait, there's more! There are so many Smash 3C wallpapers now, that we decided to put them in an album. So go ahead and look at them or whatever.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Is that Bowser pose his new one that he'll have for Smash 3, or is that just a unique pose like Mr. L? I hope it's the former because poses different from Smash 4's add more charm to the mods.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but those Kirbys doesn't look like Smash 4 Kirby, hah
Right now i'm redoing my Kirby's textures in GIMP, and makin some recolors. This will take some time...

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Is that Bowser pose his new one that he'll have for Smash 3, or is that just a unique pose like Mr. L? I hope it's the former because poses different from Smash 4's add more charm to the mods.
That's Giga Bowser, not regular Bowser.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Right now i'm redoing my Kirby's textures in GIMP, and makin some recolors. This will take some time...
It doesnt have to look EXACTLY like it though, but it looks really good. Even the renders, and recolors are great.Not trying to be rude or anything.

Juken

Smash Ace
Would've been interesting to ee the guy who did Smash 4 Jigglypuff with Smash 3 rimlighting do the same for Kirby; their Jigglypuff was perfect (and probably broken with 3.6).

I wonder who made that anyway.

Isn't making a Smash 3 Kirby in general just a waste of time since Smash 3 team will be doing it and (I think) along with his hats?

Obskore

Smash Ace
Would've been interesting to ee the guy who did Smash 4 Jigglypuff with Smash 3 rimlighting do the same for Kirby; their Jigglypuff was perfect (and probably broken with 3.6).

I wonder who made that anyway.
i'm using that same Jigglypuff mod and it doesn't give problems, since the only change she had from 3.5 to 3.6 was "Beam Sword capabilities" i don't think the Modified FitPurinMotion will break the game. i even bothered and went on to make custom CSPs, BPs and even Stock icons for my build (though there were already some CSPs, but wanted to remake the ones with the bandanna, fairy wings and the crown, because those had subpar photoshop :p)

Layell

Smash Journeyman
I will say this to anyone around: posing and rendering is very in demand for us. If you prove your stuff in rendering there is no doubt that I and others who collab together may hit you up with some of our in development work so you can assist us! It'll be like getting into the party before everyone else.

(I myself am slowly learning to render but I want to do texture stuff first, I just want some beautiful alt poses!)

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
i'm using that same Jigglypuff mod and it doesn't give problems, since the only change she had from 3.5 to 3.6 was "Beam Sword capabilities" i don't think the Modified FitPurinMotion will break the game. i even bothered and went on to make custom CSPs, BPs and even Stock icons for my build (though there were already some CSPs, but wanted to remake the ones with the bandanna, fairy wings and the crown, because those had subpar photoshop :p)
Can you post those CSP/BPs? And I wasn't aware that there wa sa bandana one.

Also, I do remember the fairy wings for the original Smash 3 Jigglypuff having a weird problem with its transparency for me where it was just a bunch of chunks of transparency instead of being slightly see-through. Maybe I had it at the wrong settings when importing it?

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554

Also, I do remember the fairy wings for the original Smash 3 Jigglypuff having a weird problem with its transparency for me where it was just a bunch of chunks of transparency instead of being slightly see-through. Maybe I had it at the wrong settings when importing it?
No, you're settings were just fine. When importing or replacing a texture in CMPR, transparency either becomes solid or blank rounding closest from it's transparency value. If you chose RGB5A3, the image retains its original quality. For my build, I tried changing my entire sc_charactersel.pac to have that setting, but it crashed when going into the character select.

Dreamtastic72

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dreamtastic72
3DS FC
4055-4504-6947

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I don't know if you you know this already but did you let the person that made the model know about this?
Thanks for reminding me, i didnt.
EDIT: Gave him credit, since the description said i can give credit if i use it.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I added some things to the OP!

TheLazyVidya's Kirby is just so nice that I decided to add it until Smash 3's update comes out.

I wasn't sure what to do with characters without a PM or Brawl moveset for a while, let alone those outside of the Smash universe, but I decided to add them into a separate section in the OP, starting with @123123sora's Yuna. I'm not sure if I want to keep it the way I did it or not.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I added some things to the OP!

TheLazyVidya's Kirby is just so nice that I decided to add it until Smash 3's update comes out.

I wasn't sure what to do with characters without a PM or Brawl moveset for a while, let alone those outside of the Smash universe, but I decided to add them into a separate section in the OP, starting with @123123sora's Yuna. I'm not sure if I want to keep it the way I did it or not.
Thanks for improving my banner! :D
Anyways, i have the full set of the Brawl Smash 3 Sonic... Can it be in the OP? Or no?

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
I will say this to anyone around: posing and rendering is very in demand for us. If you prove your stuff in rendering there is no doubt that I and others who collab together may hit you up with some of our in development work so you can assist us! It'll be like getting into the party before everyone else.

(I myself am slowly learning to render but I want to do texture stuff first, I just want some beautiful alt poses!)
i'd LOVE to help with poses, it's not as hard as animating or rendering and other 3D stuff, but i would like to come up with interesting pose concepts (you mean original poses, right?, not replicating the PM alts'?)

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm using the Commander Lucas costume from this thread and for some reason the game freezes after i select a stage is there something I'm doing wrong? Every costume before commander Lucas works.

Obskore

Smash Ace

here it is! (they use Smash 4 assets except for the stocks) btw, note that there are only 7 CSPs and BPs, 1 CSS portrait and 4 Stocks, because they're limited to how/what i use for my build. i plan to make more for the rest

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I have a question, I've been trying to render, everything is perfect, but one thing. The final image always turns out somewhat grainy. How can I fix this? Also, how can I get my model to have the same pose as others? Like getting Retro Pit to have the same pose as normal pit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom