• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
What my man @Kurukato87 said, though I might get around one day to rendering Giga Bowser for BPs and results screen portraits.

Mario Kart R.O.B. has been re-textured, but there have been a lot of issues with rimlighting it. I think it's related to some extra bones for the wheels and @ Aghanim Aghanim would probably be better at explaining, but whenever the model is rimlit, his shield and grab animations are wrong, his left tire becomes gigantic when shielding, and his gyro doesn't show up right when charging it. If anyone has any ideas or wants to rimlight Mario Kart R.O.B. and post it, please do! I'd like to post him soon.
I've never heard of animations getting messed up before... Either the wrong numbers were changed, or the added parts have weird behaviors. I'd say rimlight the normal parts of R.O.B., test it, then rimlight each kart part. If it's problematic, write it down and don't rimlight that part. Actually, I might try this out myself.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I've never heard of animations getting messed up before... Either the wrong numbers were changed, or the added parts have weird behaviors. I'd say rimlight the normal parts of R.O.B., test it, then rimlight each kart part. If it's problematic, write it down and don't rimlight that part. Actually, I might try this out myself.
Please let me know if you try. It would be great to see what results you had.

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart R.O.B. has been re-textured, but there have been a lot of issues with rimlighting it. I think it's related to some extra bones for the wheels and @ Aghanim Aghanim would probably be better at explaining.
This is what happens:

the well gets smaller as you hold the shielding buttons

his gyro is screwed as well

Everytime I tried to add rimlighitng to kart rob shaders and materials it got that weird shield and gyro problem. I tried different ways to fix that problem. First I tried to add rimlighing to rob main parts, then on his kart only, then I tried only on one of his materials, I even tried to port materials and shaders from Falcon and it didn't work. So after everything I had in mind failed I tried to reimport kart rob and it exploded ingame (I'm not really sure what happened o_o). It seems a persistent glitch wich I'm not sure on how to fix, probably is caused by the added bones like ledgerewskie stated before

Actually, I might try this out myself.
It would be awesome if you guys could find a way to fix that weird bug

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Even though i like the new smash 3 sonic, i wanna see brawl sonic smash 3ified again. Like, a new version. Im requesting because i dont know and i have gimp, and i dont know how to smash 3ify characters with gimp.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Maybe you missed this part of the first post:
Oh. Whoops. Actually, i just learned you can import some things from other models in brawlbox but the cons are sometimes it can mess up or that file size. So, since i learned that, i can now import things from the smash 3 sonic model. Yay.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Retro pit is almost finished. Original and Dark. I just need help with the tunic texture. If you want to do it, just message me.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Here is a nicer look at Mario Kart R.O.B.!

(His rimlighting is still bugged)

Has anyone else tried to get his rimlighting to work?

blerb

Smash Journeyman
The rimlighting issues are likely stemming from the way the model has been built. Apparently, according to that image that was posted on r/ssbpm a while back, the model is fairly advanced compared to most Brawl models. It uses in-game AO, for one, as well as two separate spec shaders for a single material (haven't checked the file so I may be wrong on that). I don't know Brawl's limit on materials/shaders but I imagine it's rather limited.

Itll take some serious wizardry to get it working properly.

Obskore

Smash Ace
The rimlighting issues are likely stemming from the way the model has been built. Apparently, according to that image that was posted on r/ssbpm a while back, the model is fairly advanced compared to most Brawl models. It uses in-game AO, for one, as well as two separate spec shaders for a single material (haven't checked the file so I may be wrong on that). I don't know Brawl's limit on materials/shaders but I imagine it's rather limited.

Itll take some serious wizardry to get it working properly.
they're onto us! jk

so, i just started progress on Dark Suit Samus, and in the middle of tracing some regions of the arm cannon, i thought of looking up some 3D software to get the UV maps as guidelines for easier texture tracing... but my computer is so crappy that it just doesn't even

could anyone send me the unwrapped UVs of all the Dark Suit textures? i wasn't expecting this (at all) :c

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Looks like it's time to post some updates!

I have been wanting to update this one for a while. Aghanim added some nice new shaders on him, and I redid all of his textures. There are a couple of extra recolors based on Street Fighter shotos as well!

Since we couldn't figure out how to properly rimlight R.O.B., we're releasing him without any rimlighting for now. So it won't look quite as good as it does in the screenshots. Still, I think he looks pretty good! His "Nintendo DS" logo has been replaced with his emblem from the Smash games, to better reflect how the racers in Mario Kart wear their emblems. He has also gotten a cool Famicom-colored alt!

Hey isn't that Bowser? Why's he wearing a mask and green eye contacts? Wait - that's Rookie the Koopa from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga! This one took longer than you might think; Aghanim had to put it away after he was finished the first time, because his horns didn't look good enough. But Aghanim came back to it and just look at those beautiful horns. Oh god, they're making me so horny oh just stop looking at me that way, Rookie. It's too much for me.

they're onto us! jk

so, i just started progress on Dark Suit Samus, and in the middle of tracing some regions of the arm cannon, i thought of looking up some 3D software to get the UV maps as guidelines for easier texture tracing... but my computer is so crappy that it just doesn't even
could anyone send me the unwrapped UVs of all the Dark Suit textures? i wasn't expecting this (at all) :c
That's strange - did you try reinstalling Blender?

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Looks like it's time to post some updates!

I have been wanting to update this one for a while. Aghanim added some nice new shaders on him, and I redid all of his textures. There are a couple of extra recolors based on Street Fighter shotos as well!

Since we couldn't figure out how to properly rimlight R.O.B., we're releasing him without any rimlighting for now. So it won't look quite as good as it does in the screenshots. Still, I think he looks pretty good! His "Nintendo DS" logo has been replaced with his emblem from the Smash games, to better reflect how the racers in Mario Kart wear their emblems. He has also gotten a cool Famicom-colored alt!

Hey isn't that Bowser? Why's he wearing a mask and green eye contacts? Wait - that's Rookie the Koopa from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga! This one took longer than you might think; Aghanim had to put it away after he was finished the first time, because his horns didn't look good enough. But Aghanim came back to it and just look at those beautiful horns. Oh god, they're making me so horny oh just stop looking at me that way, Rookie. It's too much for me.

That's strange - did you try reinstalling Blender?
The download links on the Vault lead to an imgur link of the progress chart... Also I might want to try my hand at rimming Mario Kart Rob since I recently was able to rim the newest version of ridley (which I will post when I test the other textures and the meta ridley skin fix is out) by adding a new shader.

And I think there's one more Shoto you're forgetting:

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
The download links on the Vault lead to an imgur link of the progress chart... Also I might want to try my hand at rimming Mario Kart Rob since I recently was able to rim the newest version of ridley (which I will post when I test the other textures and the meta ridley skin fix is out) by adding a new shader.

And I think there's one more Shoto you're forgetting:
That would be great if you were able to get him working. Sorry about the download link, it should be fixed now. I did consider Sean, actually, but yellow is often difficult to get right, and if I was going to add another color, it probably would have been green.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
That would be great if you were able to get him working. Sorry about the download link, it should be fixed now. I did consider Sean, actually, but yellow is often difficult to get right, and if I was going to add another color, it probably would have been green.
For the green color, I'd personally look to Alex and Guile for inspiration and when you get to adding a yellow color (Sean) or an orange color (Go Hibiki) I'd look to Ocarina Link for how the colors are balanced.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
A while ago, i think remember somebody said they given up working up smash 3 excalibur sonic... Still wish that was worked on.
Also, has anybody started working on Jet Set Sonic using the Smash 3 Model?

kazan

Smash Apprentice
A while ago, i think remember somebody said they given up working up smash 3 excalibur sonic... Still wish that was worked on.
Also, has anybody started working on Jet Set Sonic using the Smash 3 Model?
um...I don't see the point in bringing up excalibur sonic if it was canceled, and nobody ever said they were going to work on a Jet Set Sonic using the Smash 3 model.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
If we're talking Street Fighter characters, I'd like to see a Hugo Donkey Kong, but Smash 3 DK doesn't even exist. Or Ryu Ness and Ken Lucas. Ryu could use Bizzozeron's Poo Ness as a base

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Ohh, ok.

I agree, that is a sexy kirby! Also, since my mouse goes crazy when i try to pose melee wolf or dark sonic, i asked that guy if he can do it and he said yes, and those kirby renders, im digging it.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
No, I am afraid you'll have to edit the moveset for his wheels and exhaust pipes to work like that. Also that's actually a really nice Kirby!
Now that you mention that bit about R.O.B.'s wheels and exhaust, if I may ask, how would one go about editing .pacs so that those effects show up in more than one costume slot? If you know this, of course. Or know someone or somewhere I can go to learn it.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Now that you mention that bit about R.O.B.'s wheels and exhaust, if I may ask, how would one go about editing .pacs so that those effects show up in more than one costume slot? If you know this, of course. Or know someone or somewhere I can go to learn it.
I am afraid it has been quite a while since I did any of this, but you'll need an older version of BrawlBox (possibly .63 - I'm a bit fuzzy here) and then you open one of the two moveset files (I do not remember which one!) and look through the moves. Try just using Mario because it will be easy to tell. If you look at his neutral special, you'll find something like "if slot = or > than 7, use peelz." So for ROB, you would go through his moveset and change the slot to whichever costume slots you want Mario Kart ROB on, and it should work. The wheels might rely on something else, but I'm fairly sure the smoke is made this way.

I hope my succinct and descriptive explanation will provide all the help you need.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I am afraid it has been quite a while since I did any of this, but you'll need an older version of BrawlBox (possibly .63 - I'm a bit fuzzy here) and then you open one of the two moveset files (I do not remember which one!) and look through the moves. Try just using Mario because it will be easy to tell. If you look at his neutral special, you'll find something like "if slot = or > than 7, use peelz." So for ROB, you would go through his moveset and change the slot to whichever costume slots you want Mario Kart ROB on, and it should work. The wheels might rely on something else, but I'm fairly sure the smoke is made this way.

I hope my succinct and descriptive explanation will provide all the help you need.
I'm gonna have to give this another whirl. Thanks very much.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Looks like a big update today, if you know what I mean!

Project M 3.6 has given Giga Bowser his own results portraits, battle portraits and even stock icons, but the Smash 3 release of Bowser didn't have any of those for poor ol Giggers. So I decided to render him myself!

Dry Bowser has also received renders for all of his Giga forms! I'd like to bone him, if you catch my drift! Dry Bowser himself has not been changed, just to be clear.

And yes, Rookie Bowser has been updated with a Giga Bowser form and CSP as well!

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff...

Does this version of Dry Bowser have the edits for the glowing lava on his shell now?
I edited the description to make it more clear, but Dry Bowser wasn't edited. I only rendered all of these CSPs (it took me three days, it was just an absolute blast - and that was with Layell doing some of them for me). I did actually edit Giga Bowser's leg to remove a seam, though, which you will probably see in the Smash 3 update.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I edited the description to make it more clear, but Dry Bowser wasn't edited. I only rendered all of these CSPs (it took me three days, it was just an absolute blast). I did actually edit Giga Bowser's leg to remove a seam, though, which you will probably see in the Smash 3 update.
Ah, okay. The CSPs look beautiful, by the way.

Top Bottom