• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
He still looks gigantic tho, And if he was to be on all limbs on the ground then he would look even more gigantic in Smash then he already would be.

Yeah, this looks a fair bit more acceptable. Maybe still needs a shrink, but you get what I mean. I'd personally have him face forwards a bit more and be a bit smaller with folded up wings.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

I apologize if this has been posted. Did the last argument against newcomers just get debunked? All of the images were taken at the same time?

Last edited:

RaikoTheSaikou

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaikoTheHedgehog
For unlocking Ridley, perhaps you have to defeat 1986 opponents in Cruel mode, or consume 2010 mega mushrooms on Pyrosphere/Brinstar with Samus :troll:

Sanity. In Super Smash Bros. Good one :awesome:
I meant that all the characters in Smash are in a controlled environment and i'm not sure that Ridley would be good in the Smash world because of everyone in Smash getting balanced outside of they're respective game worlds,
I just think the balancing would be too heavy on him.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I think I have a new point of discussion that I have not read or discussed on here. Or at least not recently.

SSBBrawl had 12 unannounced characters that were secret at launch.
8 of them were veterans and 4 were newcomers. :toonlink::wolf::rob::lucario:.

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html

For smash bros 4. If the ESRB leak is the final roster, then we have:
10 unannounced characters that will be secret at launch.
6 being veterans and 4 are newcomers. (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. DHD.)

Doesn't it seem weird that Smash 4 would have a lower number of secret characters unannounced than it's predecessor? (12 versus 10) . That the games both have 4 as the number of newcomers unannounced? Also that the 4 unannounced newcomers from smash4 also is two clones and only two true newcomers?

Sure seems like there could be more secret unannounced newcomers. Maybe Ridley, is meant to be experienced by playing the game and having that "New challenger approaching" nostalgia. But for those like me and won't be able to wait, can go to the website after release, like the Brawl dojo, and have it revealed.

Thoughts? This epiphany came to me as I was falling asleep and about to start dreaming of Ridley.
Dr. Mario isn't a newcomer, which makes this even more surprising.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
You forget that 2 of those are joke characters, And Little Mac while he seemed plain, He actually did end up working out,
Like i said before, I'm not against Ridley JUST because of these points i'm making, It's also because it's just hard to imagine
FOR ME, I cannot stress that last part enough.
That's fine, but "joke characters" doesn't apply. If the dev team could think of movesets for joke characters (and movesets for characters like Captain Falcon), then Ridley shouldn't be an issue, regardless of your own thoughts.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
too heavy.

Oh man.......

That's fine, but "joke characters" doesn't apply. If the dev time could think of movesets for joke characters (and movesets for characters like Captain Falcon), then Ridley shouldn't be an issue, regardless of your own thoughts.
Exactly! Captain Falcon had nothing to work off him, yet he still got an awesome moveset. And compared to him, Ridley has a lot to work with when it comes to movesets.

Last edited:

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I think I have a new point of discussion that I have not read or discussed on here. Or at least not recently.

SSBBrawl had 12 unannounced characters that were secret at launch.
8 of them were veterans and 4 were newcomers. :toonlink::wolf::rob::lucario:.

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html

For smash bros 4. If the ESRB leak is the final roster, then we have:
10 unannounced characters that will be secret at launch.
6 being veterans and 4 are newcomers. (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. DHD.)

Doesn't it seem weird that Smash 4 would have a lower number of secret characters unannounced than it's predecessor? (12 versus 10) . That the games both have 4 as the number of newcomers unannounced? Also that the 4 unannounced newcomers from smash4 also is two clones and only two true newcomers?

Sure seems like there could be more secret unannounced newcomers. Maybe Ridley, is meant to be experienced by playing the game and having that "New challenger approaching" nostalgia. But for those like me and won't be able to wait, can go to the website after release, like the Brawl dojo, and have it revealed.

Thoughts? This epiphany came to me as I was falling asleep and about to start dreaming of Ridley.
I like how are thinking about this, but keep in mind that Dr. Mario isn't a true newcomer and Dark Pit has a likely chance of being a Pit clone and not a true newcomer either.

There are 12 characters left to see from my count, but we only know that two of them are brand new movesets. I still think there is either something more to see or that there is another way to get characters. My hope for Ridley remains, but I am becoming more content with things as time goes on even in the worst-case scenario.

I don't care about this "Chorus" leak right now personally guys/gals. I will wait and see the pictures or for proof that someone ripped code out of the 3DS version first.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

I apologize if this has been posted. Did the last argument against newcomers just get debunked? All of the images were taken at the same time?
I'm so damn worried about the "fate is cruel" part... :<

No, we cannot falter, for we are space pirates, and our commander will be in in all his (reborn) glory!

RaikoTheSaikou

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaikoTheHedgehog
That's fine, but "joke characters" doesn't apply. If the dev time could think of movesets for joke characters (and movesets for characters like Captain Falcon), then Ridley shouldn't be an issue, regardless of your own thoughts.
You have a fair point but all these characters you mentioned were somewhat plain and Smash made them better for fighting,
I'm saying Ridley is already too much for Smash and they would have to take him down, I'm not sure how much they would tho,
I do trust the development team tho,
And if Ridley somehow DOES get confirmed and they give him the ideal moveset and size then i will retract all my previous objections, But right now, At this moment i just can't see him fitting in. (emphasis on the "I" can't see him)

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
at this rate the thread is closed right before the release. with like 30-40 pages the day and + - good days and days with more teasers to days with nothing at all. we reach the final weak so the chance to see something pointing at him is like 90% and so are the posts here.
i would love to know what happens if this thread is closed. is there than a new one?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Stop talking about off-topic stuff, guys, interesting as they may be.

And now (though I'm always dubious about his inclusion) I want Ridley to speak in smash bros. If Lucario can speak, well, maybe Ridley can as well?

Give him a British accent for maximum hilarity.
Who do you think he is, Metal Face?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You forget that 2 of those are joke characters, And Little Mac while he seemed plain, He actually did end up working out,
Like i said before, I'm not against Ridley JUST because of these points i'm making, It's also because it's just hard to imagine
Wait, what? Since when are any of them joke characters? I mean, you probably mean Wii Fit Trainer, who is an oddball character, but not a joke. What constitutes as a joke character anyway?

That aside, yeah, I can understand what you mean about not being able to imagine it. Ridley would indeed be a hard character to balance. Would it be worth it? Possibly. Maybe. He does, at least, have lots of source material to work with, so no issues with a lack of moves.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I meant that all the characters in Smash are in a controlled environment and i'm not sure that Ridley would be good in the Smash world because of everyone in Smash getting balanced outside of they're respective game worlds,
I just think the balancing would be too heavy on him.
Well considering that part of the Tekken team, those with experience in fighting games and trying to balance them, are meant to be helping in developing this game. I don't think there'd be much trouble balancing Ridley for Super Smash Bros. as a playable character. The only thing to worry about is how Ridley would work, his play style. I would assume that if he is an air based character, the team would balance him to make sure that he isn't OP. For example, if he is stronger and or faster in the air, he'd be slower on the ground much like in the Prime games. Also, it's possible for him to have a flight metre (like Little Mac has a power/KO metre), so once it runs out, he'd have to go on the ground to charge it back up (I can't remember which member had this idea, whoever it was, kudos and credit to you). There's always a way to balance a character, whether it's adjusting their power, speed, moveset, or their special ability. Besides, if Ridley is playable and turns out slightly OP, Nintendo can release a patch to sort it out (with the help of Bandai Namco).

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
one of them was a joke character. Animal crossing deserved a rep, and many wanted him

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Jeremy Irons should definitely voice Ridley, or in other words the voice of Scar from Lion King, listen to that voice

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but Ridley picking up an item is going to be the stupidest looking animation I think I have ever imagined in my head. If he's gonna be floating around like in that direct, that is.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
at this rate the thread is closed right before the release. with like 30-40 pages the day and + - good days and days with more teasers to days with nothing at all. we reach the final weak so the chance to see something pointing at him is like 90% and so are the posts here.
i would love to know what happens if this thread is closed. is there than a new one?
Yeah, it's going fast isn't it?
That said, yeah we'll probably need a new thread. I don't see why not.

I'm sorry but Ridley picking up an item is going to be the stupidest looking animation I think I have ever imagined in my head. If he's gonna be floating around like in that direct, that is.
Hasn't it always just been a very quick split-second animation? I doubt it will be prominent enough to even leave a mark of stupidity.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
And Ganondorf wearing bunny ears and a Tanooki tail, being beaten up by Jigglypuff and other cute characters isn't stupid? Come on, it's just a light-hearted fighting game ._.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Maybe he holds the items in his feet, like he did with the baby metroid jar. That would be pretty neat.

Well i kind of consider the Villager a joke character mostly because Animal Crossing is the opposite of Smash,
Just so you know where i was coming from.
Isn't Duck Hunt Dog the Joke character?

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
While that's definitely possible i'm still against Ridley mostly because i can't imagine what they would do with him,
It just seems like they wouldn't go to so much trouble just to put him in.
Just like they went through the trouble of putting a puppetmaster, a character with a ko meter, a yoga instructor, and as your avatar shows a character with several stances that change up on the fly and was even stated by Sakurai to be a unique character not normally seen in Smash. To think Ridley would be impossible is quite silly when there's no rhyme or reason for any of the characters to be fighting each other in the first place since it's all just people playing with toys.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's going fast isn't it?
That said, yeah we'll probably need a new thread. I don't see why not.

Hasn't it always just been a very quick split-second animation? I doubt it will be prominent enough to even leave a mark of stupidity.
On second thought, I want him to use his tail to grab things. I never played Metroid in my life so I'm unsure if he's got that kind of dexterity to his tail.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So people are getting banned on Miiverse for posting that fake Ridley screenshot. I don't know what that means though.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So people are getting banned on Miiverse for posting that fake Ridley screenshot. I don't know what that means though.
It means that Ridley will be confirmed soon, and they don't want leaks (fake or real) out when it happens. That or the original posters are deleting their Ridley post, but it's been happening a lot with many people so I doubt it.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
It means that Ridley will be confirmed soon, and they don't want leaks (fake or real) out when it happens. That or the original posters are deleting their Ridley post, but it's been happening a lot with many people so I doubt it.
Or they are just posting links. Miiverse is ridiculous. I got perma Banned twice from a stupid little kid who false reported me.If he got banned he would format his 3ds into a new account. He could never get conosle banned. (BTW, I was InterviewU, a guy who interviewed people on Miiverse. I was beginning to become quite popular as well, gaining 50- 100 followers every two interviews.) Some people are just jerks. :/

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I've heard they axe a lot of image links, possibly so nobody is linked to inappropriate things. I haven't tested that or anything but it would make sense. Still I'm pretty sure that image was just an edit of that deviantart Ridley picture. I still think he's got a good chance but I don't think we've seen anything concrete on him yet. Sakurai is going to great lengths to keep whatever his role is under wraps.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Or they are just posting links. Miiverse is ridiculous. I got perma Banned twice from a stupid little kid who false reported me.If he got banned he would format his 3ds into a new account. He could never get conosle banned. (BTW, I was InterviewU, a guy who interviewed people on Miiverse. I was beginning to become quite popular as well, gaining 50- 100 followers every two interviews.) Some people are just jerks. :/
True, true, but considering what they did with the leak footage and images that popped up before Shulk was confirmed, I'm leaning to that the same thing is happening with Ridley.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Interested to see where this all goes. Ridly's chances seem to be subtly, yet not insignificantly, improving every day.

Who's going to play Ridley as soon as they unlock him? I'll be keen to give him a go as soon as I can, see what exactly he's like!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's obvious that Ridley deserves a trailer whether it's by himself or the rest of the big 3 are in it with the Rids. Looking at the other characters in the CSS leak, Dark Pit won't get one for obvious reasons, DHD maybe (not hypeworthy for me), and Bowser Jr. getting a trailer reveal isn't likely for me (but could happen though).
I don't care if I'm involved, no leak talk in the Ridley thread.
Sweet sig you got there.

Top Bottom