• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Id say the logic in your post is good, but if Nintendo and Sakurai have proven anything is that the don't follow our mindset.

What if Sakurai knows he is popular but doesn't care about him or the Metroid franchise? Heck, yesterday's potd further demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge of the series (there is no pink suit in Super Metroid).
What if he, foolishly, thought his three hints should have been enough for the fans to realize he is not playable? In fact, the large majority of the internet accepted the hints and thinks he is a stage hazards, so perhaps it did work, partially. Its mostly us who went with the trouble of over analise everything. Even the most dumb kids on miiverse understood the april tease and took it as a deconfirmation
What if NoA, despite knowing his popularity, is powerless to do anything because the people at NCL and Sora are the ones in charge and everyone else is just for the marketing and localization? The NoA that had independency died when Iwata inherited the company, and now are just puppets. They can't influence anything Nintendo does, with games like Metroid Other M, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Tomodachi Life having received different kinds of backlash because Nintendo never bothered to research the audience over here.
And what if Sakurai is so proud of the boss battles that he thinks Ridley is the perfect candidate for the feature, and never thought of making him playable?
They have previously shown off assist trophies, shown them as assist trophies and as much as said they are, and still gone on to clarify the point if needless speculation started, and this was for characters which at time had pretty much no support going for them, let alone one of the biggest groups since the game's inception.

Again, if they've messed this one up, they've messed it up big time. They aren't likely to be unaware of this kind of speculation based on the PotDs and the E3 shadow, but they've not moved to end it. I don't even like Ridley, but even I would be annoyed if they just let this fester needlessly at this point, or in fact any point. If he were a boss, they should have confirmed that shortly after E3, if that's really what they did, they have done something utterly utterly bizarre.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Id say the logic in your post is good, but if Nintendo and Sakurai have proven anything is that the don't follow our mindset.

What if Sakurai knows he is popular but doesn't care about him or the Metroid franchise? Heck, yesterday's potd further demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge of the series (there is no pink suit in Super Metroid).
What if he, foolishly, thought his three hints should have been enough for the fans to realize he is not playable? In fact, the large majority of the internet accepted the hints and thinks he is a stage hazards, so perhaps it did work, partially. Its mostly us who went with the trouble of over analise everything. Even the most dumb kids on miiverse understood the april tease and took it as a deconfirmation
What if NoA, despite knowing his popularity, is powerless to do anything because the people at NCL and Sora are the ones in charge and everyone else is just for the marketing and localization? The NoA that had independency died when Iwata inherited the company, and now are just puppets. They can't influence anything Nintendo does, with games like Metroid Other M, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Tomodachi Life having received different kinds of backlash because Nintendo never bothered to research the audience over here.
And what if Sakurai is so proud of the boss battles that he thinks Ridley is the perfect candidate for the feature, and never thought of making him playable?
"Sigh"

Again, perhaps that is what he wanted you to think. Maybe he wanted everyone to think Ridley was disconfirmed. Sakurai knows this community more than you think. I think he's aware how strong the reaction to Ridley being playable would be. Remember how most thought the shadow in the pokemon trailer for Smash was Mewtwo, and never once thought it was Greninja until more hints popped in?

I also love the indirect condescension on this part of your post "even the dumbest kids on Miiverse understood the april tease and took it as a deconfirmation" That's because kids take things at face value. A lot of people criticizeRidley supporters as Strawgraspers, no, its logical deduction, using other examples to prove the point. Ridley's tease is so similar to Palutena, its not even funny.

Sakurai hates to try and disappoint fans, and wants excitment to come, and a playable Ridley would only add to it, not a boss Ridley.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Oh ok I didn't know they said Rayman was not playable, my bad.

Still though, I feel like you guys talk about Ridley as if he was officially revealed. As if he was shown in a POTD and referred to by name or something like that. I think the intention was that the average fan wasn't sure who the boss/hazard was.

The deconfirmation theory only makes sense in my eyes if Ridley was officially revealed but his role was left ambiguous. Instead it's the opposite. The role in question was not ambiguous (boss/hazard), the ambiguity was in who it was. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to allude to Ridley when referring to bosses/hazards.

As for the 'he wouldn't lead us on' card, I think Sakuria believes he hasn't lead anyone on because in his eyes he's made it clear that it was in reference to being boss/hazard.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yuck, IGNorant link!
I think we will all buy a Ridley amiibo, even if my 3ds isn't fixed/replaced before it is in the shelves, I'll buy that sucker as soon as I can
Me too. I've always wanted a giant dragon statue in my garden.

Still though, I feel like you guys talk about Ridley as if he was officially revealed. As if he was shown in a POTD and referred to by name or something like that. I think the intention was that the average fan wasn't sure who the boss/hazard was.
I'm pretty sure that if the person is a fan, then that person has played multiple Smash games already. If that person has played Melee or Brawl (and especially Brawl) then they'll probably recognize the shadow. I mean, there are very little dragons shaped like that, especially if you take into consideration that said dragon is probably from Nintendo. And there is only one dragon that likes popping up near high-tech platforms.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The deconfirmation theory only makes sense in my eyes if Ridley was officially revealed but his role was left ambiguous. Instead it's the opposite. The role in question was not ambiguous (boss/hazard), the ambiguity was in who it was. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to allude to Ridley when referring to bosses/hazards.

As for the 'he wouldn't lead us on' card, I think Sakuria believes he hasn't lead anyone on because in his eyes he's made it clear that it was in reference to being boss/hazard.
Chrom was pretty clear, yet loads of people still thought he was playable, including me, a Chrom detractor

D

Deleted member

Actually, in context, all that was said was "other boss characters make appearances" and boss character =/= Stage Boss.

Furthermore, in that section of the Direct, they were talking about Yellow Devil, a Mega Man boss, on a Mega Man Stage, then when they cut to the Shadow Footage, the clip is on Pyrosphere, a Metroid stage. Not only that, but we saw the shape of the Shadow, and since stage elements for a stage are only pulled from that game's content, the character in question must've been a Metroid Character. Since the character in question is a character from Metroid, you can then look at all possible Metroid Characters that would have the silhouette that matches that of the one shown during Ridley's shadow footage, and when you do so, you will find that, based on the model design of the character, that the logical conclusion can be made that the boss character being alluded to is Ridley since the model of Ridley matches the shape of the shadow.

In addition, no other characters could fit the shape of the silhouette that was shown during the Shadow footage that are from the Metroid Series, a conclusion which can be drawn again from the comparison of all Metroid Character models to the shape of the Shadow in the Shadow Footage.

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I never thought once that Chrom was playable after seeing him in action, especially not after looking at the official website, which was updated with character pages of Robin, Lucina, and Captain Falcon.

The situation with Chrom was that the Final Smash sound played as soon as he appeared, with Robin calling out his name, and then the two fought together side by side against Captain Falcon. Which played out like Ike's Great Aether Final Smash in Brawl.

What happened with Ridley, on the other hand, was that we got a sluggish-moving shadow that followed Pikachu, stopped momentarily, and then went left before apparently jumping. While there was no sound in the clip at all.

We have one thing that was meant to explicitly disconfirm someone, and another that was meant to incite speculation.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Who in here takes a line even close to resembling him being revealed? This place goes back and forth between "surely he must be in, surely" to "guys, I'm losing confidence, I need a new sacrifice to the second post!" nearly constantly. Each piece of new information, no matter how tiny the Ridley link is, gets combed over, with half choosing the "this is Ridley positive" and half going for "this is Ridley negative" with a good handful of "I've been converted to Ridleyism by this" and "I'm now convinced he's disconfirmed by this" just for good measure.

It's worth pointing out by the way that your argument doesn't take into account that even when they've explicitly stated something they still clarify whether a character is playable or not. They even stated they hadn't made a Rayman render even for a trophy, yet people still needed clarification on his playability, not to mention the myriad of assists trophies, introduced as such needing the same treatment. Ridley being one of the biggest characters, being shown solely as a shadow in an ambiguous context (whether you agree if it was ambiguous or not), without even a name mentioned was surely worth some clarification at some point. They plan things ahead, we've seen that before with the Palutena teasing (again, no name mentioned, suggestions that he role in the game was as a statue) and even minor speculation has warranted a response before, yet for this, the biggest speculation surrounding anything they've posted, silence...

Exegguter

Smash Lord
This is so pathetic. The amount of people that come to this thread to 'prove' Ridley is not playable. Are you having fun? Why are you guys so obsessed. Leave this thread alone please. Why? It's boosting the postcount in this thread for unnecessary bull****. For discussions that has been held 1938927292829 times. This game releases in ****ing 9 days.

What's even more pathetic is that these people are using the dumbest arguments. 'i think dis is the final roster u gaiz srry Ridley lol' and because these arguments are so dumb it's really hard not to reply for us Ridley supporters instead of ignoring it.

So if we want this thread clean stop repeating discussions with little children and ignore these guys. PLEASE Ridley supporters.

Being a Ridley fan is the worst in smash I swear.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
This is so pathetic. The amount of people that come to this thread to 'prove' Ridley is not playable. Are you having fun? Why are you guys so obsessed. Leave this thread alone please. Why? It's boosting the postcount in this thread for unnecessary bull****. For discussions that has been held 1938927292829 times. This game releases in ****ing 9 days.

What's even more pathetic is that these people are using the dumbest arguments. 'i think dis is the final roster u gaiz srry Ridley lol' and because these arguments are so dumb it's really hard not to reply for us Ridley supporters instead of ignoring it.

So if we want this thread clean stop repeating discussions with little children and ignore these guys. PLEASE Ridley supporters.

Calm down.

People have their right to be opposed to Ridley, even if they use dumb arguments. We can politely walk them to the closest door out of here without bashing them or try to convince them with arguments.

I know it's annoying, but as you said, we only have 9 days to go. We can keep detractors at bay for 9 days, can't we?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Who in here takes a line even close to resembling him being revealed? This place goes back and forth between "surely he must be in, surely" to "guys, I'm losing confidence, I need a new sacrifice to the second post!" nearly constantly. Each piece of new information, no matter how tiny the Ridley link is, gets combed over, with half choosing the "this is Ridley positive" and half going for "this is Ridley negative" with a good handful of "I've been converted to Ridleyism by this" and "I'm now convinced he's disconfirmed by this" just for good measure.
I'm one of those "he's already revealed" guys. In my mind, the official reveal was the Prince Sable retweet. You don't go out of your way to clarify a character that minor, shown in a completely un-ambiguous way, and leave a fan favorite sharing the same status in limbo.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Calm down.

People have their right to be opposed to Ridley, even if they use dumb arguments. We can politely walk them to the closest door out of here without bashing them or try to convince them with arguments.

I know it's annoying, but as you said, we only have 9 days to go. We can keep detractors at bay for 9 days, can't we?
No I'm not 'calming down' I'm not even mad in the first place.

I'm saying this thread will get locked because of these pointless discussions when the game's releasing in 9 days. What's the point of discussing? Please enlighten me.

No point in being polite anymore if it happens every goddamn day bruh. We're not a helpdesk.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

I'm saying this thread will get locked because of these pointless discussions when the game's releasing in 9 days. What's the point of discussing? Please enlighten me.

No point in being polite anymore if it happens every day goddamn day bruh. We're not a helpdesk.
Ignore them, then. No argument, no posts.

I'm one of those "he's already revealed" guys. In my mind, the official reveal was the Prince Sable retweet. You don't go out of your way to clarify a character that minor, shown in a completely un-ambiguous way, and leave a fan favorite sharing the same status in limbo.
This is the main reason why most of us think Ridley is very likely at this point. Sakurai has made clear which role every other character has... except for Ridley, a fan favorite with 13 years of support behind him. Too suspicious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

No point in being polite anymore if it happens every day goddamn day bruh. We're not a helpdesk.
We agreed on after a maximum of 3 pages of arguing, we stop. And besides! 9 days to clear 190 pages? If we all remain calm, it works. I've seen this thread get 150 pages in one single day though.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
"Sigh"

Again, perhaps that is what he wanted you to think. Maybe he wanted everyone to think Ridley was disconfirmed. Sakurai knows this community more than you think. I think he's aware how strong the reaction to Ridley being playable would be. Remember how most thought the shadow in the pokemon trailer for Smash was Mewtwo, and never once thought it was Greninja until more hints popped in?

I also love the indirect condescension on this part of your post "even the dumbest kids on Miiverse understood the april tease and took it as a deconfirmation" That's because kids take things at face value. A lot of people criticizeRidley supporters as Strawgraspers, no, its logical deduction, using other examples to prove the point. Ridley's tease is so similar to Palutena, its not even funny.

Sakurai hates to try and disappoint fans, and wants excitment to come, and a playable Ridley would only add to it, not a boss Ridley.
And now think that again with the mindset of a guy who added random tripping to a fighting game to annoy serious players, who greenlit a game with online features that didnt even work, and that hyped useless screen captures for months.
Im all for speculation, but we shouldn't expect something to be 100% fact because it it makes sense to us. Because I seriously dont trust Sakurai that much. Im keeping both outcomes as possible.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I noticed someone post a trimmed down argument of one they said before (like I stated before), but I feel stupid I didn't consider them doing it to bump the thread post count. Saying that, the Other M discussion people are having isn't helping either.

Exegguter

Smash Lord

This is the main reason why most of us think Ridley is very likely at this point. Sakurai has made clear which role every other character has... except for Ridley, a fan favorite with 13 years of support behind him. Too suspicious.
Oh I AM ignoring them. The rest of us aren't though. Did you actually read my post?

-------------

Ridley's final smash imo would be his first part of his prime 1 fight. Where he flies in the background and over the stage bombing and spewing fireover the stage.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

To be honest most come with some vague kind of argument, the issue is that it is all been dealt with pretty strongly before. There's no point getting angry at people wanting to discuss things now though.

To be honest though with 9 days to go it's probably time for me to have a crack at an anti-Ridley post, let's see...

How much teasing has there really been, and to what extent can we really assume that teasing means playable. Whilst there are strong suggestions on here that the evidence is for him being playable, there really needs to be strong thought put into the potential issues with the arguments. Let's break this down into parts though:

1. The teasing, lack of naming and the timing

Whilst it has been suggested that such "teasing" is indicative of a playable character being hyped up, can we really say for certain we understand the methodology used to "hype" characters. We know all to well over the history of the Smash series that we simply can't predict Sakurai, and when we think we know, we tend not to. In this case we've been given clear hints at the possibility of Ridley being in the game, but with such little time left, and them previous hyping up stage bosses, it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that the style used for Ridley is more suggestive of him being the big ticket stage boss, rather than playable.

Consider the timing, hinting and reveal of other stage bosses. They hinted at Yellow Devil, and showed him both out of context, and not mentioning his role, not to mention the them showing Ultimate Ghost over the course of what seemed like months before finally showing it as a boss of some kind. This does seem to be a feature that Sakurai is proud of, and what better way to hype up the feature than with a character they may well see as the perfect stage boss, on his very own stage (or his clone's really). They did seemingly try and build up hype for Yellow devil in particular was mentioned quite some time before even the concept of stage bosses was revealed. Keeping in mind they didn't name Ultimate Ghost for a long time either, and only recently really clarified exactly what was going on there, it does seem that they want to hype up that feature, and as such hyping up Ridley as a stage boss may make some logic to them. Particularly now that we've got an unnamed Metal Face, only as a shadow and likely as a stage boss, we've got even more parallels to Ridley, and we had plenty as it was.

2. The shadow, what we saw

What did we see though. We can make all kinds of inferences, but for anyone who looked through the ESRB leak thread, we can make all sorts of subtle inferences off pretty much anything, and the whole shadow argument may well just be a bit too convenient.

Starting with his size, he's still not small, in fact the lower range of his size seems to have been gauged at just over Bowser's height, and potentially longer too, and Bowser is an absolute monster in this version. If there is any error in that calculation as well (and as it's based off a shadow where we have limited ability to test shadow effects it is more than possible), then he could be still a bit bigger. I won't go as far as saying "too big", but after some criticised Ridley's size in Brawl (not many, but some did claim they oversized him a bit too much) they may well have made a stage boss that's a bit smaller, more mobile and harder to hit. He may be on the cusp of a playable size, but equally his size also doesn't rule out being a stage boss.

On that point though, consider the shadow. We talk about the jerky movements, we talk about how bosses tend to be on the rail, but consider who we've talking about, and how this would be set up specially for the shadow shoot. They could have made a more agile, threatening Ridley boss, which had similar AI to a playable character, but attributes that would preclude such playability. Add into this the obvious detail they've put into some background elements (notably the hole), and there is the potential for "an enemy from Samus' past to appear at any time" there.

3. Ridley's popularity

The majority of sales come from the West, and they seem to recognise that enough to pay some fan service, but consider where we are in the release cycle. We're in the home stretch for the Japanese release, what they're hiding is for their sake, not ours. Japan still gets preferential treatment, for whatever strange reason, and who here honestly believes that they're saving Ridley for a big reveal for Japan? Would they really care? They're not saving him for our sake either, as they know full well he'll be spoiled for us by the Japan release. They might be saving him for a last day reveal, maybe even for a post release trailer, but why would they? This is about Japan now, they aren't going to go for the "BIG REVEAL" for a character they aren't that interested in. It would be as sad as the Japanese Xbone release.

It's worth pointing out that Ridley was just as popular for Brawl and they made a big ticket boss. With them clearly so excited about these stage bosses, they may well think that's enough to get people hyped for. They might think it's great fan service even, keeping Ridley as a boss, the best damn boss they could make.

Overall you've got to admit, there is a real, a very real chance that Ridley is just their big ticket stage boss, and it fits with how they've revealed the others.

Whilst I don't really agree with the entirety of that logic, there is certainly an argument to be made. I'm pretty sure he's playable, but you have to show the other side at least some respect and let them have the chance to make their arguments. There's no point belittling people on here for arguing about whether Ridley's in or not in the thread about exactly that.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you guys, but just have this feeling that we all will know if Ridley is playable by:
October 3rd :troll:
Just call it a hunch.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
To be honest most come with some vague kind of argument, the issue is that it is all been dealt with pretty strongly before. There's no point getting angry at people wanting to discuss things now though.

To be honest though with 9 days to go it's probably time for me to have a crack at an anti-Ridley post, let's see...

How much teasing has there really been, and to what extent can we really assume that teasing means playable. Whilst there are strong suggestions on here that the evidence is for him being playable, there really needs to be strong thought put into the potential issues with the arguments. Let's break this down into parts though:

Whilst it has been suggested that such "teasing" is indicative of a playable character being hyped up, can we really say for certain we understand the methodology used to "hype" characters. We know all to well over the history of the Smash series that we simply can't predict Sakurai, and when we think we know, we tend not to. In this case we've been given clear hints at the possibility of Ridley being in the game, but with such little time left, and them previous hyping up stage bosses, it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that the style used for Ridley is more suggestive of him being the big ticket stage boss, rather than playable.

Consider the timing, hinting and reveal of other stage bosses. They hinted at Yellow Devil, and showed him both out of context, and not mentioning his role, not to mention the them showing Ultimate Ghost over the course of what seemed like months before finally showing it as a boss of some kind. This does seem to be a feature that Sakurai is proud of, and what better way to hype up the feature than with a character they may well see as the perfect stage boss, on his very own stage (or his clone's really). They did seemingly try and build up hype for Yellow devil in particular was mentioned quite some time before even the concept of stage bosses was revealed. Keeping in mind they didn't name Ultimate Ghost for a long time either, and only recently really clarified exactly what was going on there, it does seem that they want to hype up that feature, and as such hyping up Ridley as a stage boss may make some logic to them. Particularly now that we've got an unnamed Metal Face, only as a shadow and likely as a stage boss, we've got even more parallels to Ridley, and we had plenty as it was.

What did we see though. We can make all kinds of inferences, but for anyone who looked through the ESRB leak thread, we can make all sorts of subtle inferences off pretty much anything, and the whole shadow argument may well just be a bit too convenient.

Starting with his size, he's still not small, in fact the lower range of his size seems to have been gauged at just over Bowser's height, and potentially longer too, and Bowser is an absolute monster in this version. If there is any error in that calculation as well (and as it's based off a shadow where we have limited ability to test shadow effects it is more than possible), then he could be still a bit bigger. I won't go as far as saying "too big", but after some criticised Ridley's size in Brawl (not many, but some did claim they oversized him a bit too much) they may well have made a stage boss that's a bit smaller, more mobile and harder to hit. He may be on the cusp of a playable size, but equally his size also doesn't rule out being a stage boss.

On that point though, consider the shadow. We talk about the jerky movements, we talk about how bosses tend to be on the rail, but consider who we've talking about, and how this would be set up specially for the shadow shoot. They could have made a more agile, threatening Ridley boss, which had similar AI to a playable character, but attributes that would preclude such playability. Add into this the obvious detail they've put into some background elements (notably the hole), and there is the potential for "an enemy from Samus' past to appear at any time" there.

3. Ridley's popularity

The majority of sales come from the West, and they seem to recognise that enough to pay some fan service, but consider where we are in the release cycle. We're in the home stretch for the Japanese release, what they're hiding is for their sake, not ours. Japan still gets preferential treatment, for whatever strange reason, and who here honestly believes that they're saving Ridley for a big reveal for Japan? Would they really care? They're not saving him for our sake either, as they know full well he'll be spoiled for us by the Japan release. They might be saving him for a last day reveal, maybe even for a post release trailer, but why would they? This is about Japan now, they aren't going to go for the "BIG REVEAL" for a character they aren't that interested in. It would be as sad as the Japanese Xbone release.

It's worth pointing out that Ridley was just as popular for Brawl and they made a big ticket boss. With them clearly so excited about these stage bosses, they may well think that's enough to get people hyped for. They might think it's great fan service even, keeping Ridley as a boss, the best damn boss they could make.

Overall you've got to admit, there is a real, a very real chance that Ridley is just their big ticket stage boss, and it fits with how they've revealed the others.

Whilst I don't really agree with the entirety of that logic, there is certainly an argument to be made. I'm pretty sure he's playable, but you have to show the other side at least some respect and let them have the chance to make their arguments. There's no point belittling people on here for arguing about whether Ridley's in or not in the thread about exactly that.
Excellent post. That is perhaps the best argument against Ridley's inclusion I've seen. If detractors want to bring up valid arguments, then just copy paste the post above.

Last edited:

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I'm still of the mind that the shadow and model that we saw is of such poor quality that it can't be taken seriously. Nobody would take a top-level approach to design a model that works like that - unless it was all for hype or marketing or they took a previous model and butchered it to have the same effect.

I'm also still of the mind that the starting CSS doesn't exactly help his chances. We wouldn't know his final placement on it anyway so it's not too important either.

I also still don't know what the heck Nintendo was thinking at certain times during the last 5 years so I still have to exercise caution.

What I do know is that Ridley is still more likely than not, and I would like to see his Final Smash either be him turning into a big dragon or wall-scraping and dragging the opponent's small little butt all over the place for a while.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

3. Ridley's popularity

The timing is one of the big issues for me. It took a few months to confirm Yellow Devil's status, and Metal Face was teased literally right before release. Ridley has had more than enough time to be confirmed as a stage boss like they did with Yellow Devil. And no one ever once thought or considered Metal Face, Ultimate Ghost or whatever, or Yellow Devil as playable characters. Not one of them. Ridley honestly should've been confirmed and shown off in full a long time ago.

We'll find out about Metal Face within a week and a half. Ridley isn't going to be a "stage boss" on the 3DS version, which means we'll have to wait yet another few months before we officially know Ridley's status, which is even far longer. And both known stage bosses are on both versions. Ridley is also an extremely hyped requested for a playable character and an important figure of Nintendo's history, he SHOULD be on both versions if he's a stage boss, makes no sense for him to be exclusive.

So, yes, although you can potential argue "MAYBE" Sakurai thinks stage bosses are hypeable, Ridley's case is still an exception to every other. He's still the one we've been waiting on longer than any other just to officially see and get a confirmation on.

Excellent post. That is perhaps the best argument against Ridley's inclusion I've seen.
All he was arguing is semantics. "Maybe," "maybe" this could be the case. He doesn't even believe Ridley is a stage boss. :p

I'm still of the mind that the shadow and model that we saw is of such poor quality that it can't be taken seriously. Nobody would take a top-level approach to design a model that works like that - unless it was all for hype or marketing or they took a previous model and butchered it to have the same effect.

I'm also still of the mind that the starting CSS doesn't exactly help his chances. We wouldn't know his final placement on it anyway so it's not too important either.

I also still don't know what the heck Nintendo was thinking at certain times during the last 5 years so I still have to exercise caution.

What I do know is that Ridley is still more likely than not, and I would like to see his Final Smash either be him turning into a big dragon or wall-scraping and dragging the opponent's small little butt all over the place for a while.
Pretty easy, actually. The Metroid characters get pushed down a line after the clones get pushed back up to their own franchises. Not an issue. The only franchise that even needs characters to be moved to fit are the Pokemon characters, but that's not a big deal, either. The Pokemon characters moved in Melee as well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I just finished reading a rather ignorant thread on Reddit, and am dropping by to ask the Ridley fans here:

Whether or not Ridley is in the game, think before you post your reaction.

There was a big spiel in the thread about how "Ridley fans are just as bad as Ridley detractors," which, naturally, a lot of people upvoted, despite the notion being idiotic. Yes, a group of people who want to play as a purple space dragon are "the same" as a group of people who want to see people who want to play as a purple space dragon be unhappy.

What, Ridley fans are defending themselves from trolls and are poking holes in stupid arguments, just like literally any other fanbase? "Ohhhh, so cocky and obnoxious! That makes them 'the same' as outright bullies!" Ridley detractors are spamming the character's argument equivalent of "he's too boring, he only punches" or "she's a goddess, too overpowered," arguments that never caught on with those characters? Let's pretend they're wise realists whose "point" is being unfairly maligned!

These detractor apologists are a pox on the fanbase. Please don't give them anymore fodder in nine days.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
We agreed on after a maximum of 3 pages of arguing, we stop. And besides! 9 days to clear 190 pages? If we all remain calm, it works. I've seen this thread get 150 pages in one single day though.
Wait, really? Was that when Ridley was shown in the Direct?

Also, it really doesn't matter if we exceed the maximum post limit. We'll just get a new thread then, and this one will be archived or something.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

I don't think anyone quite knows what Nintendo is doing. Between the 3DS and Wii U we know they don't like brand differentiation. From continuing to cater primarily to Japan, where dying home console sales is hitting home seemingly the hardest, they are putting the Wii U under more pressure than it deserves. In fact, by catering mostly to Japan they are hurting their sales a lot all round to be completely honest, all this marketing effort for Smash 4 would be best suited to a worldwide release, but no, Japan get it 20 odd days earlier. Nothing like singling out ~1/5th of your market for special treatment to make effective use of marketing dollars.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The problem I see with the Ridley tease in the Direct is his movement. It didn't seem very...I dunno...AI like if you catch my drift. It was slow, it stopped, and possibly jumped. It seemed like a player was in control o how Ridley moved. It's the complete opposite of how he acted in Brawl where he was fast and was attacking a lot. I know some people have thrown out the idea that the Wii U's exclusive mode is some boss mode, but that just seems like a terrible idea, especially given what we know about bosses already. Why not just put them on the Roster if you're going to do that? And what about bosses that aren't on the Wii U version? It's a missed opportunity waiting to happen.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It was earlier for me. When I heard that Nintendo, not even just Sakurai, Nintendo went out of their way to clarify Chrom's status when IGN's article stated they weren't sure if he was playable, the answer to Ridley's fate became explicitly clear.

RudySpino

Smash Rookie
So there's a rumor that Ridley is a DLC character. I have this theory that maybe its not the usual kind of DLC, Now assuming that part of the leak is also true, what if Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie and the other supposedly unrevealed characters weren't leaked through video because they're NOT IN the 3DS version yet?

It seems possible to me that the 3DS version already has plenty of characters, and they're holding back a select few to keep the hype alive for the Wii U version and continue to reveal newcomers every now and then until the Wii U version comes out, only to patch the characters into the 3DS version as soon as they're revealed.

Basically, the 3DS version releases with MOST of the characters, but then lets say a couple weeks later, Mewtwo is revealed on the site. On that day, he's patched into the 3DS version so that he's playable right away, and still keeps the hype and attention on the Wii U version.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
So there's a rumor that Ridley is a DLC character. I have this theory that maybe its not the usual kind of DLC, Now assuming that part of the leak is also true, what if Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie and the other supposedly unrevealed characters weren't leaked through video because they're NOT IN the 3DS version yet?

It seems possible to me that the 3DS version already has plenty of characters, and they're holding back a select few to keep the hype alive for the Wii U version and continue to reveal newcomers every now and then until the Wii U version comes out, only to patch the characters into the 3DS version as soon as they're revealed.

Basically, the 3DS version releases with MOST of the characters, but then lets say a couple weeks later, Mewtwo is revealed on the site. On that day, he's patched into the 3DS version so that he's playable right away, and still keeps the hype and attention on the Wii U version.

Opinions? Thoughts?
Yeah, this is a valid theory and not a totally uncommon one. I could totally see them doing this, tbh.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Opinions? Thoughts?
If that's the case, I would pretty much guarantee its K. Rool, not Dixie Kong. The fact is, the rumors mean nothing. If they're not in the roster by default, all the leaks about Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, etc., are FAKE. That's all there is to it. A playtester leaking info is NOT going to be able to hack into the game and find these characters.

I think its a valid possibility, but unless confirmed I'm not holding out for that option. Rather, I think its more likely that the build that got leaked isn't the final build of the game and doesn't have the full cast. That's what I think is more likely.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Didn't the Ridley thread from brawl max out and get locked twice? And now this one is about to? Honestly between Ridley, K Rool, and Mewtwo...the way I see it, when a massive portion of your fan base is thirsting for three specific characters so strongly that they end up begging referred to as "the hype 3", you'd think that those three characters' inclusion would be a priority.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Version 3.0
hybridleycopy.png

• Went back to Roidley eyes
  • Super Metroid-style wings
I need to fix up dem wings. They don't look right to me. :ohwell:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Opinions? Thoughts?
I think there is some credibility to your theory. Afterall, Sakurai did imply that Smash 3ds and WiiU are like Smash 4 and 5 respectively, and what do Smash games have in common, new caharcters. I can see them doing this, only con being perhaps that we have to wait even longer for Ridley's reveal, and we'll have to suffer the ridicule from detractors for another month or so, as they will have believed they were right, and Ridley wasn't playable. .

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It was earlier for me. When I heard that Nintendo, not even just Sakurai, Nintendo went out of their way to clarify Chrom's status when IGN's article stated they weren't sure if he was playable, the answer to Ridley's fate became explicitly clear.
That was a very solid indicator, true. But I could see Nintendo realizing the fan assessment of Chrom's status sooner than they might realize the Ridley fan's interpretation. I mean, he was in the CG cutscene, and Sakurai clearly though enough of him to kind of say "sorry" that Chrom wasn't in game. So I could see Nintendo thinking that Chrom might have a larger, and more false-hyped, fan base than Ridley did.

Prince Sablé, though? No chance. None at all.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF

Opinions? Thoughts?
I think they just want to hide some of their most hype characters. Such as Ridley and Dixie/K. Rool would be. Either way that roster doesn't look organized yet. People keep talking about how the roster is supposed to be in chronological order but if you look at it you will realize it's not(for instance R.O.B. being so far down on the roster). That's also my theory as to why clones are off the side. They haven't been organized yet because they were just tossed onto the screen for now. I feel like the leak's build was unfinished and unorganized so I'm not too worried for any character at the moment especially Ridley.

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't think they will end up as DLC for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think they just want to hide some of their most hype characters. Such as Ridley and Dixie/K. Rool would be. Either way that roster doesn't look organized yet. People keep talking about how the roster is supposed to be in chronological order but if you look at it you will realize it's not(for instance R.O.B. being so far down on the roster). That's also my theory as to why clones are off the side. They haven't been organized yet because they were just tossed onto the screen for now. I feel like the leak's build was unfinished and unorganized so I'm not too worried for any character at the moment especially Ridley.

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't think they will end up as DLC for the reasons mentioned above.
I agree, I don't think they'll be DLC or postponed unlockables at all. I just think the remaining characters, the most hyped characters, aren't in the leaked build of the game.

I think there is some credibility to your theory. Afterall, Sakurai did imply that Smash 3ds and WiiU are like Smash 4 and 5 respectively, and what do Smash games have in common, new caharcters. I can see them doing this, only con being perhaps that we have to wait even longer for Ridley's reveal, and we'll have to suffer the ridicule from detractors for another month or so, as they will have believed they were right, and Ridley wasn't playable. .
Oh, sorry, from your previous post and Avatar I thought you were a Ridley detractor. You were only commenting about how Peter Jude made a very valid argument against Ridley, though, which most real Ridley detractors completely fail at handling.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If there aren't characters coming with the Wii U version itself they better have something else to hype the **** out of that release to maintain interest.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only problem I see with characters is that they'd need to make sure said characters become available on 3DS as well. I mean, its a bit cheap to force people to buy both versions just to get all the characters and stages.

Top Bottom