• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is so pathetic. The amount of people that come to this thread to 'prove' Ridley is not playable. Are you having fun? Why are you guys so obsessed. Leave this thread alone please. Why? It's boosting the postcount in this thread for unnecessary bull****. For discussions that has been held 1938927292829 times. This game releases in ****ing 9 days.

What's even more pathetic is that these people are using the dumbest arguments. 'i think dis is the final roster u gaiz srry Ridley lol' and because these arguments are so dumb it's really hard not to reply for us Ridley supporters instead of ignoring it.

So if we want this thread clean stop repeating discussions with little children and ignore these guys. PLEASE Ridley supporters.

Being a Ridley fan is the worst in smash I swear.
Posts like this are why the Ridley boards have a negative reputation and are seemingly disliked by a lot of people.There are people who don't want Ridley to be playable purely because of the attitude of some of his supporters. Other big threads like the K.Rool one never seem to display any hostility, but everytime I look at this thread there is always someone making an aggressive post sledging people who think he's not playable and telling them to get out. It's a discussion thread, people are free to voice their opinions if they remain civil.

Posts like this ruin it for the many well-mannered and reasonable supporters in this thread.

Also I haven't seen anyone use the 'I think this is the final roster' argument. Most of the skeptics refer to the fact that he was teased as a boss as their main argument.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
The only problem I see with characters is that they'd need to make sure said characters become available on 3DS as well. I mean, its a bit cheap to force people to buy both versions just to get all the characters and stages.
Let's not forget Sakurai already stated tons of times the roster will be the same in both versions, whatever ends up happening with dlc or "Wii U launch content that then unlocks on 3DS".

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I just finished reading a rather ignorant thread on Reddit, and am dropping by to ask the Ridley fans here:

Whether or not Ridley is in the game, think before you post your reaction.

There was a big spiel in the thread about how "Ridley fans are just as bad as Ridley detractors," which, naturally, a lot of people upvoted, despite the notion being idiotic. Yes, a group of people who want to play as a purple space dragon are "the same" as a group of people who want to see people who want to play as a purple space dragon be unhappy.

What, Ridley fans are defending themselves from trolls and are poking holes in stupid arguments, just like literally any other fanbase? "Ohhhh, so cocky and obnoxious! That makes them 'the same' as outright bullies!" Ridley detractors are spamming the character's argument equivalent of "he's too boring, he only punches" or "she's a goddess, too overpowered," arguments that never caught on with those characters? Let's pretend they're wise realists whose "point" is being unfairly maligned!

These detractor apologists are a pox on the fanbase. Please don't give them anymore fodder in nine days.
That's why I use this thread to talk about Ridley, and avoid posting on reddit for the most part (Plus this is why I get annoyed when people derail the topic and put the thread at risk of being locked, I don't want this thread locked and have to resort to reddit)

I asked someone who replied to me with a toobigot joke isn't it getting old and I got quite a few down votes. There are some detractors that make valid arguments are at least try to in a civilized manor. But they're dwarfed by the number of detractors that are flat out aggressive for whatever reason and don't even try to acknowledge the supporters point of view, then you have people who just go around saying Ridley's too big like it's some sort of trending meme.

At the moment it feels like a stalemate even if I think we have more proof on our side, and the detractors is based on 1/2 statements which can be read different ways. I think we'll finally put this to rest when Sakurai finally reveals him or we get our 1st wave of people uploading pics from the final build of the game.

Not long till release, just hope we can maintain our sanity till then

gif-soul-eater-giraffe-patty.gif

Last edited:

Clessidor

Smash Rookie
What happened with Ridley, on the other hand, was that we got a sluggish-moving shadow that followed Pikachu, stopped momentarily, and then went left before apparently jumping. While there was no sound in the clip at all.
Actually I always thought that Ridley's shadow followed Pikachu, grabbed him and flew away, because if you look closely at one part of the shadow, it looks like it has the shape of Pikachu's Tail and Body:

That would be interesting, because then we would know, if Ridley is playable, that he would have some kind of air grab move .

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So where do Ridley fans stand on the potential 4 or 5 other characters?
I actually think its 6-7 based on the roster layout. I think its more likely than anything for the roster to expand by a column rather than "fill in" the bottom row, which starts off with that number of characters.

Actually I always thought that Ridley's shadow followed Pikachu, grabbed him and flew away, because if you look closely at one part of the shadow, it looks like it has the shape of Pikachu's Tail and Body:

That would be interesting, because then we would know, if Ridley is playable, that he would have some kind of air grab move .
That's been talked about long ago and already debunked. Its Ridley's leg passing in front of his tail, he didn't grab Pikachu.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So where do Ridley fans stand on the potential 4 or 5 other characters?
Assuming Mii Fighters take up 1 slot on the Menu: (so 4 characters)
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men

Assuming they don't:
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men
- Impa

I'd prefer Impa get in over Tingle given her importance to the series, but I just can't help but feel Sakurai would prioritize Tingle. I'd rather have Dixie too, but I don't think it'll happen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men

Assuming they don't:
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men
- Impa

I'd prefer Impa get in over Tingle given her importance to the series, but I just can't help but feel Sakurai would prioritize Tingle. I'd rather have Dixie too, but I don't think it'll happen.
Um, lolwut? Tingle was deconfirmed a LONG time ago. Seriously. He's an AT again, he's dead.

As for arbitrary five slots:

1. Ridley
2. Mewtwo
3. Wolf
4. K. Rool
5. Isaac

If there's more, I can potentially see:

6. Dixie Kong
7. Impa

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men

Assuming they don't:
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men
- Impa

Tingle is an assist Trophy

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Posts like this are why the Ridley boards have a negative reputation and are seemingly disliked by a lot of people.There are people who don't want Ridley to be playable purely because of the attitude of some of his supporters. Other big threads like the K.Rool one never seem to display any hostility, but everytime I look at this thread there is always someone making an aggressive post sledging people who think he's not playable and telling them to get out. It's a discussion thread, people are free to voice their opinions if they remain civil.

Posts like this ruin it for the many well-mannered and reasonable supporters in this thread.

Also I haven't seen anyone use the 'I think this is the final roster' argument. Most of the skeptics refer to the fact that he was teased as a boss as their main argument.
No it's people like you who are so desperate to prove why he's not in without reading the 2nd post of this thread. People that don't think that Ridley is in is fine. What's not fine is people that are repeating discussions just to discuss. If you'd actually read before you post a lot of discussion could be avoided (plus a lesser risk of this thread shutting down). A lot of less aggresive posts as well.

Idc for you tbh and idc if us Ridley supporters are not liked by you guys. If that's what it takes to be left alone so be it. :)

Not even mad tbh and the last thing I'm saying bout this subject.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it. We just want to play as one of our favorite characters, same as anyone else. People, for whatever reason, have it out for Ridley, and thereby mock us, spew stupid arguments that have been dealt with time and time again, and generally be offensive trolls. And yet, we're the bad guys for getting fed up with the onslaught of trolling irritants?

I get that there are legit arguments against Ridley. I've posed several myself as hypothetical challenges to be bested. But that's not what we get. We get people who are deaf to (or are intentionally ignoring) reason, and are evidently just in this for cheap laughs against a fanbase that's been inflamed by constant irritation. Forgive us for being touchy.

My biggest fear isn't that Ridley doesn't get confirmed. I can live without Ridley. It's the ensuing fallout from the trolls receiving justification for their bullying.

My hopes for the five people left on the roster are:

1. Ridley
2. K.Rool
3. Bandanna Dee
4. Chorus Kids
5. Dixie

I could take or leave anyone at this point, but these are who I'm personally really hoping to see.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I've just noticed that I've seen no suggestion's on what ridleys alt colours would be..

Does anybody have any ideas?

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
That theory has been analysed to hell and back. Check out the OP for full details.

If anything, that's in favour of Ridley. You can play All-Star Mode from the start, but until you unlock every character, a white padlock will be displayed on the mode select icon. That's why we're theorising that the roster leak isn't final and why Ridley doesn't appear in the All-Star screencaps.

The leak is real, but is it the final roster? We don't know. Evidence suggests it isn't, but even the original leakers have admitted they don't know themselves.

Sakurai decides these things at the beginning of the game's development. Sonic in Brawl was a huge exception and clones are added later on as they take very, very little time and effort to add into the game's cast of chatracters. If Ridley is in the game, he would have been included at the game's initial conceptions and been worked on from there. He isn't going to be added out of the blue because fans want him.

Baseless speculation. We don't know if there is going to be DLC, much less if Ridley will be included in it at all, but even that's presuming he isn't playable to begin with. We don't know one way or another, so saying he is not going to be DLC is just speaking without thinking. There is no cogent reason to believe he will be any more than there is to believe he won't be.

I respect your attempts to quantify your arguments with logical data, but I don't think you're being very rational at all. Don't be so down on yourself: there's still time before we know Ridley's fate for sure.
Thanks I almost gave up

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Okay then:

- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Impa
- Chorus Men
- Dixie
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Impa
- Mach Rider
- Dixie (hoping for K Rool though)

Btw you guys remember the 'leak' back in the brawl days that had Bowser Jr. Ridley and ??? as the 3 newcomers? Who was the third 1 and does anyone have a source?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
No it's people like you who are so desperate to prove why he's not in without reading the 2nd post of this thread. People that don't think that Ridley is in is fine. What's not fine is people that are repeating discussions just to discuss. If you'd actually read before you post a lot of discussion could be avoided (plus a lesser risk of this thread shutting down). A lot of less aggresive posts as well.

Idc for you tbh and idc if us Ridley supporters are not liked by you guys. If that's what it takes to be left alone so be it. :)

Not even mad tbh and the last thing I'm saying bout this subject.
I just don't understand why certain people on these boards have to be hostile. People in other threads who have to go through the exact same thing manage to remain civil and not resort to telling people to get out if they disagree with them.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'd prefer K.Rool over Dixie but I'd be alright if I get Ridley
Ridley will always be my #1, but since I got Palutena and potentially Bowser Jr. I'd be fine, not like I was going to avoid getting the game anyway. Though if Ridley wasn't playable in the game, I would have preferred him to be a cameo instead of the boss piñata people are claiming he will be, even if he just made the odd appearance in the background.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've just noticed that I've seen no suggestion's on what ridleys alt colours would be..

Numerous people were talking about alt colors a few pages back. Then again, this is the Ridley thread, it passes by so quickly.

We have brought it up quite a lot, these are a possibility:

Possibly a purple and green one to reference NES Metroid Ridley, like the one at the bottom right of this pic.

Possibly an all white/grey with green eyes to reference mecha Ridley.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I just don't understand why certain people on these boards have to be hostile. People in other threads who have to go through the exact same thing manage to remain civil and not resort to telling people to get out if they disagree with them.
Probably because Ridley supporters are burned out and fed up for years and years of constant mockery and trolling that we now jump first in our defense. I understand them to be honest.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

Possibly a purple and green one to reference NES Metroid Ridley, like the one at the bottom right of this pic.

Awesome colours, I'd be happy if most of those were in.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Friendly reminder than RIdley is actually a HUGE Nerd who spent most of his spare time making a robot version of himself

He probably plays DnD

Bendezium Dweevil

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-7123-8170
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Impa
- Mach Rider
- Dixie (hoping for K Rool though)

Btw you guys remember the 'leak' back in the brawl days that had Bowser Jr. Ridley and ??? as the 3 newcomers? Who was the third 1 and does anyone have a source?
I do not have a source, but I remember it being Toon Link, or 'cel-shaded link' or 'celda' as some people called him back then.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

Don't forget gold-on-gold, reference King Ghidorah. ;)

Version 3.0 View attachment 24066

• Went back to Roidley eyes
  • Super Metroid-style wings
I need to fix up dem wings. They don't look right to me. :ohwell:
Might I suggest replacing them with the ones from Prime, if possible? Even knowing Roidley's the one we're going to get, Ridley looks better when his wings are properly proportioned...

Exegguter

Smash Lord

I REALLY like the Orange one because it reminds me if my favorite Killer Instinct character Gargos lol.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men

Assuming they don't:
- Ridley
- Tingle
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men
- Impa

Isn't Tingle confirmed to be an Assist? I'd say if we got another Zelda rep, it'd be Impa or Tetra.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No I'm not 'calming down' I'm not even mad in the first place.

I'm saying this thread will get locked because of these pointless discussions when the game's releasing in 9 days. What's the point of discussing? Please enlighten me.

No point in being polite anymore if it happens every goddamn day bruh. We're not a helpdesk.
I pretty much wonder this myself with any character thread. That said, if you're not going to participate in a positive or constructive way you shouldn't be posting in the given thread.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
So I read the Metroid manga, it was pretty cool. Ridley having a personality and talking a lot is weird, makes sense though.

Friendly reminder than RIdley is actually a HUGE Nerd who spent most of his spare time making a robot version of himself

He probably plays DnD
I can see that happening.

My final 5 are probably (the same as pretty much everyone else):
1. Ridley
2. Mewtwo
3. Impa
4. Dixie
5. Chorus Kids

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I pretty much wonder this myself with any character thread. That said, if you're not going to participate in a positive or constructive way you shouldn't be posting in the given thread.
That's what I mean. Repeating discussions is really pointless and not constructive or positive for the thread. Ridley's either in or out and both sides don't have irrefutable evidence. So why not wait 9 days and skip those discussions?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

This is not going to be NES Ridley. To me, that will always be Nintendo Land Ridley (even though his colors are based off the NES design...). :)

Mainly because that is a lot more neon colored than the NES Sprite.

Great concept ideas, though. I may do some recolors at a later date.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not only did Ridley make a robot of himself, he gave it his own face before he gave it a way to move more cohesively than clawing itself along the floor and dragging its loose wires around.

Narcissistic? Of course not.

Morbi

Scavenger
Probably because Ridley supporters are burned out and fed up for years and years of constant mockery and trolling that we now jump first in our defense. I understand them to be honest.
I have also wanted Ridley for many years, ever since the Melee opening; however, the constant mockery and trolling of a few is no excuse to assert defensive communication against every single individual that does not believe he is in the game. It is not practical, effective, or logical and it also reflects badly on all Ridley supporters in general.

Why is it that everyone who comes in here and debates for more than five minutes leaves whilst stating something to the effect of, "no wonder the Ridley thread is looked down upon, circle-jerk supporters in denial, why is this topic not locked... it is a lot of off-topic spam"? No reasonable arguments are consistently presented to them, the second post is actually the worst thing that has happened to this thread. It is not a compilation of all evidence in Ridley's favor. It is a lot of shadow analysis so that we do not afford detractors the respect they deserve in terms of debating Ridley. The post is not concise by any stretch of the imagination and no one sane is going to bother reading the fluff on an entirely subjective notion just to discuss the prospect of a character in Smash. Instead of addressing their arguments, they are laughed at and ridiculed themselves. I was not present during the "Waluigi is more prominent than Ridley" issue, I did read back and find that, as per usual, his posts were misconstrued (straw-man fallacy) and everyone in the thread responded, most did not even attempt to refute his established argument either.

I do not understand it in the slightest. I suppose I am more aware of the repercussions because if I am involved in the discussion at all, the detractor sends ME a personal message to ask me questions about this thread and how it is conducted as they tend to recognize that I am not like the others. I do not ask them to go read something before I grace them with my own arguments, I do not question their competence, I do not ignore their perspectives, and I sometimes defend them as; more likely than not, they are ganged up on. After that, they tell me that they will avoid this thread as it is a plague on Smashboards, or they leave the website in general because their first impression of this site was desecrated for no apparent reason at all. Of course we are here, daily. We deal with detractors all the time. They do not; however, have that same experience. For some reason it is common knowledge that they should not detract because it bothers us, "maybe you should not come into a thread of supporters and expect us to welcome you with open arms." Honestly, it is so bad that I see people on other websites not related to Smash that do not want Ridley because of the fan-base. Word of mouth, word of mouth.

I apologize, but this sentiment is utterly fallacious. The problem is US. Not everyone else.
/Rant

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I think the hardest part of all this is just waiting for his confirmation. Most of us here are pretty sure he's playable, but man, it's taking forever to reveal him! Like, we've missed like, what, every Metroid anniversary at this point? I guess he really will be the last character revealed, but dang it's taking long.

Top Bottom