• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

T the Mewtwo fan

Smash Rookie
So I had this idea for a Ridley Trailer:
Imagine a dark room were you just see some blinking lights and hear technical sounds (beeps and boops).
Then a concussion in an area nearby, which sets an alarm of, so the room gets lightened by yellow lights (still pretty dark).
It's a laboratory just like this:

but with a twist: Inside the glass isn't a Metroid, but Mewtwo. Mewtwo awakens because of the eruption,
looks around, then a big thing crashes trough the ceiling, burning its way through it with fire. Dust all over the place, yellow glowing eyes shining trough it.

A giant shape it the shadows, nearing the container Mewtwo's in. (Mewtwo is a synonym for the Metroid, Ridley wants to use it's power as a weapon). Mewtwo breaks out of the glass

Dust get's blown away by the shockwave Mewtwo creates,
Ridley's visible for the first time:

Fight begins. Imagine it as epic as you wish. However, Ridley gets the edge on Mewtwo,
Mewtwo is highly damaged and weakend by Ridley's power. That's when Pikachu makes an
appereance out of nowhere. Pikachu stands protective in front of Mewtwo. Ridley wants to attack Pikachu, but gets distracted by yet another fighter that enters the fighting area:

Ridley quickly forgets about Pikachu, wants to kill Samus once and for all. Samus adopts to a fighting stance, Ridley rushes on her. Gameplay footage follows to show Ridley's moves. Footage ends with a climax. Both Samus and Ridley use their finalsmash. Footage is cut in a way that it looks like they'd use it at the same time. Ultimate hype generated,
The greatest trailer idea I have ever heard XD

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Only if you want to draw it, I only wanted people to get the image in their heads. I don't want to make our Propaganda Artist get overworked with anything!
^.^ Aw...and actually...I already got the idea in my head.....now, the only thing I need is the motivation....and some cookies....

majora_787

Smash Hero
Welp. After this next weekend we'll officially be in the "red zone", only four days before launch in Japan; the final roster could be leaked at almost any time at that point. It's gonna be pretty exciting.

Though I might be starting to catch the gross that is pessimism, because as sure as I am that Ridley will be playable, I've been thinking about what I'd do if he weren't. Because as far as I'm concerned, if being the only character teased for over a year and being presented in an ambiguous manner and kept under wraps while being shown with generally playable characteristics isn't actually enough for Ridley to be playable, then I don't think anything is. :\

I don't really want to think about that kind of thing. I guess I just need the final roster to leak so I don't have to worry about this kind of thing anymore

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Welp. After this next weekend we'll officially be in the "red zone", only four days before launch in Japan; the final roster could be leaked at almost any time at that point. It's gonna be pretty exciting.

Though I might be starting to catch the gross that is pessimism, because as sure as I am that Ridley will be playable, I've been thinking about what I'd do if he weren't. Because as far as I'm concerned, if being the only character teased for over a year and being presented in an ambiguous manner and kept under wraps while being shown with generally playable characteristics isn't actually enough for Ridley to be playable, then I don't think anything is. :\

I don't really want to think about that kind of thing. I guess I just need the final roster to leak so I don't have to worry about this kind of thing anymore
A wise wife once said :4lucina: Hope will never die!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That we're so into it, that we even got locked once because we were so hyped about the PAX closed media conference and that Ridley may have been revealed in it and that Ismar even attacked us by asking (paraphrasing) "What were you guys expecting?", as if it was NOT a realistic possibility for Ridley to be revealed at PAX and the public to know afterwards (either due to a leak or due to there not being a NDA).
Excuse me? Attack? Are you you serious?

I locked the thread for excessive increase of spam and " hype" posts that people were posting, not because people thought he was legitimately "confirmed" at any of those. The "What were you expecting" comment was directed at people who went about posting/celebrating by spamming hype images/bids, making the entirety of their post basically "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT/HYPE TRAIN/+1 post." Regardless of whether he's confirmed or not, that kind of behavior would have gotten this place locked.

Miscontrue my words like that again and High Command will have your traitorous hide promptly shot.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
For the sake of the Ridley Thread, we should never have a high influx of 14 posts per minute. It gives Mods too much trouble to keep up with and lags up Smash Boards.

Let us tread slowly and carefully guys.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For the sake of the Ridley Thread, we should never have a high influx of 14 posts per minute. It gives Mods too much trouble to keep up with and lags up Smash Boards.

I agree, but I predict that it will happen as Japan is getting to play it in a few days at stores. Not the demos, the actual game

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Miscontrue my words like that again and High Command will have your traitorous hide promptly shot.
*shiver* Miss Con True

We wouldn't care how fast people post if there was actually a discussion happening. I guess the phrase less speed more haste applies? :>

People are way too keen to either act like this thread (and every other large thread, mind you) is a chatroom or as a general/social where it's all justified because "well I was just replying to someone else's post". It's hard because people don't realise how far they've strayed until we start locking/infracting things.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
*shiver* Miss Con True

We wouldn't care how fast people post if there was actually a discussion happening. I guess the phrase less speed more haste applies? :>

People are way too keen to either act like this thread (and every other large thread, mind you) is a chatroom or as a general/social where it's all justified because "well I was just replying to someone else's post".
Yeah, agreed. So, for the sake of this thread, everyone in the thread should take any off topic banter to pm so this place isn't flooded with unnecessary conversation.

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
I agree, but I predict that it will happen as Japan is getting to play it in a few days at stores. Not the demos, the actual game
Probably before Release we will see ridley. There are always leakers who prepared a leak just before the release in oder to get some attention :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
They're playing the full game presumably just with the starting roster in Japan this weekend and the weekend of release. Though that's not how we'll find out about Ridley's fate, because that's just the starting roster on the 3DS version. What we need is the Big Leak.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
We need to see more pyrosphere if we're ever gonna find out about Ridley's fate. Or we could wait for the game to come out

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Here's supposedly all the bosses "revealed":
Yellow Devil- both versions
Dark emperor- 3ds
Metalface-both versions
Ridley-Wii U
So the only Wii u boss would be Ridley. He could be revealed much later if he's not playable
So the one character that most people have wanted to see playable for more than 10+ years, one so popular that even Nintendo is aware of it, and is the source of most speculation for this game ever since last year, is only going to be on one version of the game...? The character that's been teased heavily by Sakurai, but never clarified on what he is, with Nintendo fanning the flames even further in their tweets (Bill Trinen)?

The character that's made appearances in every Smash game so far, from a cameo in the Planet Zebes stage on the 64 version, to two boss fights in the SSE (which is touted as the main feature of Brawl), is only going to be some random stage gimmick on the Wii U version? While lesser villains like the YD and Metal Face get to be on both versions?

Wat

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So the one character that most people have wanted to see playable for more than 10+ years! one so popular that even Nintendo is aware of it, and is the source of most speculation for this game ever since last year, is only going to be on one version of the game...? The character that's been teased heavily by Sakurai, but never clarified on what he is, with Nintendo fanning the flames even further in their tweets (Bill Trinen)?

The character that's made appearances in every Smash game so far, from a cameo in the Planet Zebes stage on the 64 version, to two boss fights in the SSE (which is touted as the main feature of Brawl), is only going to be some random stage gimmick on the Wii U version? While lesser villains like the YD and Metal Face get to be on both versions?

Wat
Sounds legit.
:awesome:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So the one character that most people have wanted to see playable for more than 10+ years! one so popular that even Nintendo is aware of it, and is the source of most speculation for this game ever since last year, is only going to be on one version of the game...? The character that's been teased heavily by Sakurai, but never clarified on what he is, with Nintendo fanning the flames even further in their tweets (Bill Trinen)?

Wat
And a pretty bad boss at that. Sure makes sense, doesn't it.

This is why I'm convinced that Ridley is playable, or Sakurai is literally so far out of his mind that he's not even Sakurai.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Wat
Exactly this. If this were EA or something, I could see them holding off on Ridley being in the 3DS version, and genuinely hyping him as a stage boss gimmick to get people to buy the Wii U version. This isn't EA though, and they aren't selling us the game in little pieces. Who knows, maybe they've gone full EA and really think that Ridley being a Wii U exclusive stage boss would get people excited, but I really doubt it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
For the sake of the aptly put "less speed, more haste" point, I'll keep this reasonably brief and then simmer down a while until we have something cogent to discuss.

Ladies and gentlemen, Space Pirates and Galactic Federation troopers, I salute you.

I came to this thread out of morbid curiosity, wondering what people would have to say. I was intrigued as to how the manifold arguments against Ridley's potential playability would be summarily debunked and intending only to raise my own awareness of the situation and learn more about the issues at hand before discussing them any further.

It is with a light heart and a gay smile that I come to you today to say, "Ich bien ein Ridleyfan."

Regardless of what is to come, know that we are all friends and allies here. We've been through highs and lows, crises and moments of tense elation, and we've become stronger for it. We have, through our mutual love of Smash and our unwavering support for The Glorious Leader himself, become closer and more akin to one-another. That is something truly wonderful and worth patting ourselves on the back for.

We will not stop once the reveal is out, of course. Whether or not the big man himself is playable, there will always be hope and there will always be love. We will continue to support Smash and Sakurai, because without him and without the work he has put into us, there would be no hype.

And without hype, we would just fade away.

And with hype, we are brilliant, and we are strong.

I fully expect to see the lot of you on Pyrosphere come the official release, shrieking and howling as Ridley himself would. Be they shrikes and howls or delight or of lamentation, we will still cheer in his name. It is not a time to be sorrowful, nor a time to think deathly thoughts. If Ridley has taught us anything, it's that death is never the end; there is always a chance to return, bigger and better than ever, and show the pesky mouth-breathing hindfeet-walking sons of apes just what we are all made of for the greater good and a hell of a lot and a lot of fun and laughs.

So, thanks to everybody for showing me just how fun this whole ride's been. It's a good day when you can turn a skeptic into a believer of their own free volition, and an even better day when they can well and truly say thank you for expressing the favour.

And, of course, thanks to the mods for keeping us on the straight and narrow and giving us our numerous chances to behave and have our fun. We thank you all for your considerations and rational points of order.

Onwards, then, to a brighter future!

Space Pirates and Galactic Federation troopers alike: WE SALUTE YOU!

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Teased for a year? Wasn't he just hinted at twice when talking about bosses/stage hazards or am I missing something?

I feel like people in this thread may have misunderstood Sakurai's marketing. I think the mistake being made is assuming that Ridley was 'revealed' because it's obvious to people on this board that it's Ridley. They assume that the lack of deconfirmation means something because Sakurai is quick to deconfirm characters that were revealed in an ambiguous manner.

Thing is he wasn't revealed. It may be obvious to us, but the majority of the casual fanbase probably didn't deduce it was him, or was unsure it was him. I think that the hype is intended to be in the ambiguity of who the boss/hazard is. Also too the majority of the fanbase doesn't know that he's highly requested in the West. So when the casual gamer sees the teases they speculate over who the character will be, or deduce that it's Ridley who will be the boss/hazard. Remember as well that the casual fanbase doesn't know that Sakurai deconfirms any revealed character whose role is ambiguous. The casual doesn't perceive the lack of outright deconfirmation as a hint that this teased boss/hazard will be a playable character.

I just think that people's confidence in Ridley being playable is based on 'evidence' that would only really be evidence if Sakurai was marketing exclusively to the hardcore/Smashboards fanbase. The only thing that makes me think he might be playable is his popularity. At the same time however, I feel like our perception of his true popularity is embellished by this thread. He's only popular in the West, and it's probably only amongst the more hardcore fans. He may not be as high up Sakurai's priority list as this thread would imply.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Teased for a year? Wasn't he just hinted at twice when talking about bosses/stage hazards or am I missing something?

I feel like people in this thread may have misunderstood Sakurai's marketing. I think the mistake being made is assuming that Ridley was 'revealed' because it's obvious to people on this board that it's Ridley. They assume that the lack of deconfirmation means something because Sakurai is quick to deconfirm characters that were revealed in an ambiguous manner.

Thing is he wasn't revealed. It may be obvious to us, but the majority of the casual fanbase probably didn't deduce it was him, or was unsure it was him. I think that the hype is intended to be in the ambiguity of who the boss/hazard is. Also too the majority of the fanbase doesn't know that he's highly requested in the West. So when the casual gamer sees the teases they speculate over who the character will be, or deduce that it's Ridley who will be the boss/hazard. Remember as well that the casual fanbase doesn't know that Sakurai deconfirms any revealed character whose role is ambiguous. The casual doesn't perceive the lack of outright deconfirmation as a hint that this teased boss/hazard will be a playable character.

I just think that people's confidence in Ridley being playable is based on 'evidence' that would only really be evidence if Sakurai was marketing exclusively to the hardcore/Smashboards fanbase. The only thing that makes me think he might be playable is his popularity. At the same time however, I feel like our perception of his true popularity is embellished by this thread. He's only popular in the West, and it's probably only amongst the more hardcore fans. He may not be as high up Sakurai's priority list as this thread would imply.
I believe it's primarily due to the fact that Little Mac made it in, a character who very few people know in Japan, the same is with Ridley. And it can be seen that Sakurai is catering to the hardcore market, what with the "For Glory" mode included, and the changes such as removing tripping from the game. And anyway, the way Ridley moved in the trailer where many people thought straight up deconfirmed him, he behaved in a way that would make for a terrible boss, and Sakurai wouldn't have shown something unfinished to the point of it just sitting there and derping around for a bit (There's also the matter of his size in it, and I think he may have picked up Pikachu at one point). Also I think Ridley was teased in Melee, possibly. (I think so anyway). But meh, what do I know?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

1. Sakurai doesn't dwell on ambiguity if there isn't a payoff. Take Chrom or Waluigi as examples.
2. Just because he's heavily requested in the west isbn't stopping his chances, just look to Little Mac.
3. He kinda is marketing these things to the hardcore fanbase, not just competitive, with all the new elements like no tripping, faster pace, For Glory/Fun, etc..
4. Again, if Ridley wasn't on Sakurai's mind like you claim, he wouldn't have bothered teasing him.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
He's only popular in the West,
Fun fact, "the West" accounts for around 80% of sales for the series.

Also worth noting that the whole "casuals" argument falls down quite hard in the fact that Ridley was pretty much immediately noted pretty much universally. You never know though, maybe we're meant to be hyped for the first ever Ridley-free Smash game. Imagine that logic:

Nintendo HQ: "Ridley is massively popular in the market that makes up the vast majority of the series' sales, has growing support, has been a most requested character since Melee and has featured in one way or another since day dot. How are we going to capitalise on his popularity? That's right, we're going to have him not appear at all in Smash for 3DS!!! GENIUS!!!"

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Oh by the way

This

Is Samus with a crying baby's face.

I thought it would be funny considering the hateful other m talk, but I guess it just spurred confusion.

I'll just stick to this then.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So do you guys think Rayman is playable then? His trophy was shown but he wasn't disconfirmed.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
So the one character that most people have wanted to see playable for more than 10+ years, one so popular that even Nintendo is aware of it, and is the source of most speculation for this game ever since last year, is only going to be on one version of the game...? The character that's been teased heavily by Sakurai, but never clarified on what he is, with Nintendo fanning the flames even further in their tweets (Bill Trinen)?

Wat
Id say the logic in your post is good, but if Nintendo and Sakurai have proven anything is that the don't follow our mindset.

What if Sakurai knows he is popular but doesn't care about him or the Metroid franchise? Heck, yesterday's potd further demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge of the series (there is no pink suit in Super Metroid).
What if he, foolishly, thought his three hints should have been enough for the fans to realize he is not playable? In fact, the large majority of the internet accepted the hints and thinks he is a stage hazards, so perhaps it did work, partially. Its mostly us who went with the trouble of over analise everything. Even the most dumb kids on miiverse understood the april tease and took it as a deconfirmation
What if NoA, despite knowing his popularity, is powerless to do anything because the people at NCL and Sora are the ones in charge and everyone else is just for the marketing and localization? The NoA that had independency died when Iwata inherited the company, and now are just puppets. They can't influence anything Nintendo does, with games like Metroid Other M, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Tomodachi Life having received different kinds of backlash because Nintendo never bothered to research the audience over here.
And what if Sakurai is so proud of the boss battles that he thinks Ridley is the perfect candidate for the feature, and never thought of making him playable?

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Oh by the way

This

Is Samus with a crying baby's face.
Now that... Is creepier than anything in the Metroid series, ever.

So do you guys think Rayman is playable then? His trophy was shown but he wasn't disconfirmed.
I would personally welcome the inclusion of Rayman, yes. The problem and relevence of that is?

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Official word from Nintendo disconfirmed him, just like Chrom and Prince Sable. Unlike Ridley. The only thing that comes close to a Ridley-like tease is Metal Face and he's still ripe. None the less no one even begins to think that HE'S playable. Unlike Ridley again.

Besides if he was playable he'd have a tiny little hom inside of him.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Was deconfirmed through an official statement. That, and the fact that showing a trophy of a character pretty much deconfirms them anyway, considering Character Trophies are rewards for completing modes.

Also guys, this. If Ridley is in, Ridley Amiibo confirmed.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It was pretty heavily stated that the trophy of him in game was not even their render:

Mashpotato Samurai said:
Pic of the day. In order to make Rayman's trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references. We were expecting to receive 2D drawing references for Rayman, but to our surprise, they sent us data of a brand new 3D model that they rendered for this game!! And that was how this trophy was created. It takes a lot of work creating each model, so it's wonderful that the creators contributed their own efforts!!
That is, the render used was Ubisoft's, which implies they didn't have their own to use. That is, he's just a trophy, that's pretty damn clear right there. To my knowledge Nintendo also outright confirmed that he's only a trophy after there was a later rumour that he was playable.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Official word from Nintendo disconfirmed him, just like Chrom and Prince Sable. Unlike Ridley. The only thing that comes close to a Ridley-like tease is Metal Face and he's still ripe. None the less no one even begins to think that HE'S playable. Unlike Ridley again.

*Hides my wishes of a playable Metal Face* >///>

But meh, Ridley takes priority

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Was deconfirmed through an official statement. That, and the fact that showing a trophy of a character pretty much deconfirms them anyway, considering Character Trophies are rewards for completing modes.

Also guys, this. If Ridley is in, Ridley Amiibo confirmed.
Yuck, IGNorant link!
I think we will all buy a Ridley amiibo, even if my 3ds isn't fixed/replaced before it is in the shelves, I'll buy that sucker as soon as I can

Top Bottom