• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Ridley is far and away my most requested character for Smash 4; add me to the list, please!

I really want to do a free for all on FD with Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley (played by me!) and King K. Rool (second most wanted newcomer). Having 4 iconic villains battling it out would be epic...
and if k rool isn't in, dedede/wolf can be there

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
well... i find this very funny (and cruel):

And Samus die.... the end... well, not really, but you know that.
Is this fan made or what? That's actually touching and sad but I don't know the context if this is a comedy or real lol.

In the new pic of the day that talks about danger zones, the effect on the left side of the screen looks like Ridley's silhouette. It even has the crooked neck. Coincidence?
**** you got me really hyped up that you were onto something. Well, maybe you are. But I don't see it. Which picture? The 2nd or third? Can you maybe upload a drawing? IS THIS REAL LIFE

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Is this fan made or what? That's actually touching and sad but I don't know the context if this is a comedy or real lol.
I think the picture is actually from the (confirmed by nintendo to be canon) manga, but the text given except for the last picture is fake to make a parody.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Uh, you sure you're not thinking of Fake Kraid? Because I don't recall there being a Ridley decoy in the original Metroid.
I forgot to mention that he was unused. He still was finished, but unused.
When Ridley is announced and 5mash is probably announced in a few more years, shall we support a new Metroid newcomer? I recomend Kraid.
Nah, Samus and Ridley will be enough to have perfect playable characters representation of Metroid. Dark Samus could be added, but she is more of an extra than "must-have". Sylux is a waste of time because he doesn't deserves this spot. Everyone who is not Samus, Ridley or Dark Samus don't deserve either, no matter how popular. Kraid deserves a bit, but he just won't work because he barely moves.
Ah, the translation there makes it more serious I think. The other one sounded more silly and comical as if he wanted a cute girl around and not that he wanted to console her for a brief moment before death.
It sounds more like a bad joke that ends with something he considers to be fun.

The end is near. Let it end in our favor.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Attention ALL SPACE PIRATES. HEAR MY PROCLAMATION!

I would just like to really say, thank you all. This thread in itself is an amazing community. Never have I had so much fun speculating and strawgrasping (or what funny or degrading term you will call it) with people as enthusastic and hyped (if not more so) than me.

It will all be over in 9 days. Ridley will be here, I know it. And I know that you too know it, and for those whose hearts have weakened or grown cold, may you find that spark of fire once again and join us in these joyous final days as we prepare for Ridley's Big Day.

Do not be weak!
Be strong!
Be proud. Stand up for the Truth!
For Justice!

Don't be let down by the human words of detractors.

Stand and fly tall!

What I am afraid of though, is the end of this fun. After all, this is only a once in a lifetime chance to speculate and hype Ridley's inclusion in the Smash Bros series as a video game character. YOU WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE THIS EVER AGAIN! Ridley will be a playable character in Smash Bros for the first time only ONCE in your entire life!

I haven't even played any Metroid games (to tell you the truth, instead of typing Metroid I started with R for Ridley) but I really want Ridley in and thank Sakurai for putting him in. This is like the best speculation thread ever. The 30+ pages per day are amazing. BEING WORRIED ABOUT THE THREAD MAXING OUT ON 2000 PAGES and wondering if it's better for it to be maxed out before or after release and other complications is amazing. Our incredible enthusiasm and love for this game causing the thread to be locked by mods at multiple times is amazing. Our fear that we will reach 2000 pages at an awkward timing and we won't be able to transition to a new thread at a timely manner is amazing.

I think it's amazing when any little tidbit of Nintendo information we get, we get hyped up about, and discuss the million possibilities or meanings of it.
That we're so into it, that we even got locked once because we were so hyped about the PAX closed media conference and that Ridley may have been revealed in it and that Ismar even attacked us by asking (paraphrasing) "What were you guys expecting?", as if it was NOT a realistic possibility for Ridley to be revealed at PAX and the public to know afterwards (either due to a leak or due to there not being a NDA).

Ridley will be in Smash Bros for the first time once in your lifetime. And you will only experience the incredible mix of frustration,

excitement, suffering, loss, sorrow, tragedy, regret, pride, pessimism, optimism, and whatever else coping mechanisms in multiple ways and various combinations,

when preparing yourself for Ridley's Judgement Day Once In Your Facking Lifetime as well as when celebrating after Ridley Passes Ridely's Judgement Day when the truth is revealed to all and all will fear Sakurai and bow down to the Space Pirates as we laugh at those faithless baastards for thinking Ridley Would Not Be Playable.

Let us all come together and cherish the remaining 9 days we have until Ridley's Judgement Day. May peace and love and Smash and straw ****** be with us all.

Last edited:

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Guys...The end is near. Whatever happens with Ridley being playable or not, I love you. I joined the party late, but it sure was fun. Let's hope we're all celebrating soon instead of being sad.
Near.
Far.
Wherever you are.

My heart will go on.

It has been an honor and a privilege, my fellow Space Pirates. *drinks water*

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
It really is sad that this is coming to an end. It really has been fun watching from the shadows. Good or ill, Ridley will always be the number one newcomer I ever wanted and ever will want.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Ah, the translation there makes it more serious I think. The other one sounded more silly and comical as if he wanted a cute girl around and not that he wanted to console her for a brief moment before death.
Well... then Ridley is more stupid than he lets on. Cause if he had taken her in and made her a spacepirate she'd have been a perfect method to infiltrate the Galactic Fed and crush it from the inside. I mean Ridley HAS enough genetic engeniering equipment to have made her to what the chozo made her (well different methods and results, but both end with an "upgraded" human /human-hybrid.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Looking at all your fan-art on her.... I feel amazed when I draw a perfect circle lol.. Ladies and Gentlemen, the day is almost here...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well... then Ridley is more stupid than he lets on. Cause if he had taken her in and made her a spacepirate she'd have been a perfect method to infiltrate the Galactic Fed and crush it from the inside. I mean Ridley HAS enough genetic engeniering equipment to have made her to what the chozo made her (well different methods and results, but both end with an "upgraded" human /human-hybrid.
But where is fun in that? I don't think he does that to accomplish something and just enjoys slaughter. Kinda like what you do if you play Other M or any fighting game. It is unnecessary anyway because there was no serious threat for their plans since they got Metroids, Mother Brain (both of those after raid on Zebes) and could get phazon later. Samus is most likely the only reason why they didn't win already. Samus and her power suit.

Made yet another standing animation for Roidley:
Looks better than previous versions.

Last edited:

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I know I joined the party...twice per se...and very late as well, but it was fun. I can't say the same about GameFAQs' party though. :facepalm:

There's a chance that Ridley's fate will be known shortly but I'm done trying to predict when we'll get him at this point.

My $20 is ready in case it's the only way. I hope I don't have to get the envelopes out instead.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
It feels like we are about to play our final song as the Titanic Ridley goes down..

"Gentlemen.. its been a pleasure" (starts to play violin)

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Good point about the yellow devil, I could still see it working, though. You could choose where to attack and when to switch sides.
It wouldn't really work at all. We know how Yellow Devil enters, but does Yellow Devil disappear after a while if undefeated? If the answer is no, then that's where the problem lies. The player who controls Yellow Devil can simply spam left and right on the gamepad, making Yellow Devil just move left and right on the stage, constantly hitting the other players and not letting them attack at all (assuming there's no cool down time). This would actually be annoying, and I can see people actually avoiding the stage. Plus think of online...

Can't say anything about Metal Face, since we have no idea how that would work in Smash 4.
Of course playing as a boss would be an unfair advantage, that's the point. That's why you could be up to four against one, or three against one if you people don't want the gamepad to have anything special about it.
Again, the unfair advantage is a bad thing. Matches could go on for ages and players will win without even trying/fighting. Players may not get a chance to fight back if the Yellow Devil player just spams left and right on the stick throughout the entire match. Goodness knows how Metal Face works. Or the boss player could waste match time (if the match is timed), and those that camp at the edge/underneath the stage and not do anything will win.

All that effort could have been put towards making Ridley playable, yes. But this wouldn't be a compromise, it would be a game design choice from the start. He's doing things with the 3DS version that's only possible on the 3DS, why not do things that's only possible on the Wii U?
A terrible design choice. Mind you, Sakurai has made many terrible design choices for smash 4, including adding clones (Dr Mario, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucina), not changing Ganondorf's moveset, adding Duck Hunt Dog (which people didn't want), making more unique characters Assist Trophies (Takamaru, Waluigi, Ghirahim), tonnes of Mario stages and only one Metroid stage (which is a past stage, so lazy) on 3DS, etc. Adding Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Dixie, etc would save this train wreck of a roster.

It wouldn't make the Ridley fans happy, no. Making Takamaru an assist trophy doesn't make Takamaru fans happy, either. You could argue that there are more Ridley supporters than Takamaru supporters, but I'm not sure how much Sakurai really cares. Fans are fans and no matter what you're not going to make all the fans happy. Ridley has more supporters than Duck Hunt Dog, but what happened there? Sakurai does want Sakurai wants.
Takamaru has less following, and most of the fans are based in Japan. Ridley's fanbase is mainly in the US, but there are fans in Europe and even in Japan. People have wanted Ridley playable for a long time, the character has featured in more titles and is more iconic. Sakurai has proven that his decisions are pretty selfish when it comes to character inclusions. Sure there are some character requests in there (Mega Man, Palutena, Pac-Man, Little Mac), but was it really for the fans? Or was it just a business decision that was influenced by the higher ups? Sakurai should listen to the fans and what we want, rather than what he wants, since Smash Bros. is meant to be a fanservice.

Last edited:

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
and thats why i put that video.
hah, wow I missed it somehow, sorry late for me. I must of seen the title and that popped in my mind

We need some art of Ridley's tail sticking out of the water with lifeboats (us) around it

Got so close to making it to 2000k pages too.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
It wouldn't really work at all. We know how Yellow Devil enters, but does Yellow Devil disappear after a while if undefeated? If the answer is no, then that's where the problem lies. The player who controls Yellow Devil can simply spam left and right on the gamepad, making Yellow Devil just move left and right on the stage, constantly hitting the other players and not letting them attack at all (assuming there's no cool down time). This would actually be annoying, and I can see people actually avoiding the stage. Plus think of online...

Again, the unfair advantage is a bad thing. Matches could go on for ages and players will win without even trying/fighting. Players may not get a chance to fight back if the Yellow Devil player just spams left and right on the stick throughout the entire match. Goodness knows how Metal Face works. Or the boss player could waste match time (if the match is timed), and those that camp at the edge/underneath the stage and not do anything will win.

A terrible design choice. Mind you, Sakurai has made many terrible design choices for smash 4, including adding clones (Dr Mario, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucina), not changing Ganondorf's moveset, adding Duck Hunt Dog (which people didn't want), making more unique characters Assist Trophies (Takamaru, Waluigi, Ghirahim), tonnes of Mario stages and only one Metroid stage (which is a past stage, so lazy) on 3DS, etc. Adding Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Dixie, etc would save this train wreck of a roster.

Takamaru has less following, and most of the fans are based in Japan. Ridley's fanbase is mainly in the US, but there are fans in Europe and even in Japan. People have wanted Ridley playable for a long time, the character has featured in more titles and is more iconic. Sakurai has proven that his decisions are pretty selfish when it comes to character inclusions. Sure there are some character requests in there (Mega Man, Palutena, Pac-Man, Little Mac), but was it really for the fans? Or was it just a business decision that was influenced by the higher ups? Sakurai should listen to the fans and what we want, rather than what he wants, since Smash Bros. is meant to be a fanservice.
I agree with everything you said except the dhd thing. I really wanted ridley, k rool and dhd and dhd is finally in. I really don't think dhd is less deserved than characters like robin/zss/sheik/Toon link etc since everyone knows him.

If Ridley (and K Rool) doesn't (don't) end up being playable, this roster is a complete disaster for me but dhd is kinda saving it imo.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
I agree with everything you said except the dhd thing. I really wanted ridley, k rool and dhd and dhd is finally in. I really don't think dhd is less deserved than characters like robin/zss/sheik/Toon link etc since everyone knows him.

If Ridley (and K Rool) doesn't (don't) end up being playable, this roster is a complete disaster for me but dhd is kinda saving it imo.
I have the same stance as you, wanted those 3.. Its a Disaster, but DHD will at least make me buy the Wii U version.. He barely saved this game for me...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Whoa there. Having more clones is not necessarily a bad choice, it's creating different playstyles for characters. Duck Hunt Dog being added and being a "bad character" because he wasn't wanted is entirely subjective. Ice Climbers say hi. Ganondorf's moveset not being changed is a bummer, yes, but there were also people who like him that way, and perhaps that is why Sakurai doesn't want to change him. Yes, more unique characters are becoming assist trophies, but he can't make them all playable, being an AT is the second best thing for a character to be. And the roster is far, FAR from a trainwreck. I know that this is an entirely subjective matter, but if you are calling it a trainwreck you are overexaggerating it. Yes, characters like Ridley and Mewtwo and such would definitely improve it, but this roster is not a trainwreck by any stretch of the imagination.
Rant over!

There were character polls for both East and West. Megaman, Mewtwo and K. Rool were heavily requested in both countries. Palutena and Shulk were requested in the East, while the West craved for Little Mac and Ridley. I have no doubt that they have been fairly busy with the fanservice. Also, only ones who haven't been added/revealed yet? The big three!

Yes, that's true and all, but still there is little room for a human child on board of a space pirate ship. You've got to take care of her, feed her, make sure the pirates won't nibble on her. Killing her is a way safer and less bothersome solution to the problem, and no one really could foresee her surviving but the readers.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So is the reason why everyone here believes he is playable is because he was implied as a boss and not disconfirmed?

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I hope that if Ridley is playable he at least has an option model based on his Super Metroid look. I don't like the Other M design.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So is the reason why everyone here believes he is playable is because he was implied as a boss and not disconfirmed?
Yeah, pretty much. Hell, the direct footage helped us more than it hurt us!

I hope that if Ridley is playable he at least has an option model based on his Super Metroid look. I don't like the Other M design.
Not really possible due to a difference in proportions. Unless they create an entirely new design from scratch or something.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
You guys better slow down or else we won't be able to show our huge excitement when Ridley is officially revealed on this topic D:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I feel so confident that he's in, I ain't even worried. Settle down guys, you'll all be having Ridley vs Ridley vs Ridley vs Ridley matches in no time.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Sorry @ SmilingMad SmilingMad , I just needed a slight rant. I'm going to be annoyed if the big 3 (Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool) don't make it in, despite the fact that people have wanted them in Smash Bros. games in the past 13 years. I feel more insulted that clones have potentially taken their places -_-

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You guys better slow down or else we won't be able to show our huge excitement when Ridley is officially revealed on this topic D:
Then we shall create a seperate topic, just to satisfy our noisy desires.

I feel so confident that he's in, I ain't even worried. Settle down guys, you'll all be having Ridley vs Ridley vs Ridley vs Ridley matches in no time.
Mega Mushrooms on, Ridley only, Final Destination (version of Pyrosphere).

Sorry @ SmilingMad SmilingMad , I just needed a slight rant. I'm going to be annoyed if the big 3 (Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool) don't make it in, despite the fact that people have wanted them in Smash Bros. games in the past 13 years. I feel more insulted that clones have potentially taken their places -_-
Eh, Lucina didn't take anyone's place. Clones are generally easier to make too, so they probably won't have stolen dev time either.

Last edited:

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
Even if metal face is shown relatively soon, we still have not seen any wii u exclusive bosses. Meaning we haven't seen Ridley 'cause wii u releases later.

Top Bottom