• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Goodness gracious me. I should be taking tips from you, young man.

Aerial throws would be interesting and add a distinct dimension of tactical complexity to Ridley. I am now imagining Ridley performing Zangief's Ultimate Atomic Buster and you are now imagining the same thing.
No I'm not. I'm imagining Ridley dragging a grabbed opponent along the arena floor and pummeling a different opponent with him, Asura-style. :grin:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I have a Ridley-related question for everyone; should Ridley have footstool grabs as well as aerial grabs? Ridley have grabbed opponents with his feet before and this would be an interesting thing to give to Ridley's arsenal.
If I'm understanding what you are saying, then yes he should. Ridley's moveset should be centered around Grappling anyway.

Last edited:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
That's an interesting thought, actually, aerial grabs. Smash doesn't really have a Grappler in its roster and Ridley's been known to grab Samus / enemies in recent years.

What if Ridley was a Grappler?

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Technically air grabbing wouldnt be a crazy idea, but it would be its special I guess, just like Bowser or Ganondorf or Diddy can do in the air with their side Bs. If Ridley has a special flying mechanic then it could be even more awesome x3

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'm just gonna leave this here:

If you'd kindly go back to about 10 pages ago, or even the last page for that matter, you'd know that that was already discussed. It means absolutely nothing for Ridley. Nice try though.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Goodness gracious me. I should be taking tips from you, young man.

Aerial throws would be interesting and add a distinct dimension of tactical complexity to Ridley. I am now imagining Ridley performing Zangief's Ultimate Atomic Buster and you are now imagining the same thing.

Yes, please.

No I'm not. I'm imagining Ridley dragging a grabbed opponent along the arena floor and pummeling a different opponent with him, Asura-style. :grin:
That'd be the most badass side special ever.

How would it be called, though? Death Grip? Lethal Sweep? Ground Crusher?

For the last time, neither Pit, Palutena or ROB are present there, so just because Ridely doesn't appear with the guys that appear at that date, doesn't mean he's out. He may as well be next in line, but the game only displays five characters at a time.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If you'd kindly go back to about 10 pages ago, or even the last page for that matter, you'd know that that was already discussed. It means absolutely nothing for Ridley. Nice try though.
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, I honestly didn't know this was posted because I don't normally visit this thread, so I thought I'd post it.

I personally don't think it bodes too well though. But that's me.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

yeah i think that was disscused a very hard ammount of times.
i mean even if i look only at the picture i would first think that all this characters coming from this time or that this is like a random thing given you a time with some characters. and it was cleared that the classic mode does have only 5 matches or so.
could even be some sort of mode that gives you the quest to fight against every character parted by 5+ years. so you still can have ridley because why should they reveal him in there.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
For the last time, neither Pit, Palutena or ROB are present there, so just because Ridely doesn't appear with the guys that appear at that date, doesn't mean he's out. He may as well be next in line, but the game only displays five characters at a time.
I still don't understand why KI characters would be there considering the game came out a year later than Metroid.

Now I do.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
That'd be the most badass side special ever.

How would it be called, though? Death Grip? Lethal Sweep? Ground Crusher?
For the poetically-inclined, I offer "Enemies to Plowshares" or "Sowing the Dragon's Teeth." :seuss:

I still don't understand why KI characters would be there considering the game came out a year later than Metroid.
Kid Icarus and Metroid came out within months of each other, they're considered sisters. Try harder.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually, I believe both were released in late 1986. So, since that area seems to be dedicated to the years 1985-1986, you would think the Kid Icarus characters would appear there.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Kid Icarus and Metroid came out within months of each other, they're considered sisters. Try harder.
Easy there, you are not dealing with a hater...
Actually, I believe both were released in late 1986. So, since that area seems to be dedicated to the years 1985-1986, you would think the Kid Icarus characters would appear there.
I was going by what I read in the thread through these last two days, I guess I missed that...

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
You're thinking of the US/EU release dates for the two. In Japan they came out almost 5 months apart, still within the same year. I believe the dates are by when the character first appeared regardless of region, which would be 1986 for Pit, Samus, and the others.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Because people (seem to) assume Ridley is done for because he doesn't appear next to Samus in the section that reads "1985-1986", even though Kid Icarus, which marked the debut of Pit and Palutena, releases after the original Metroid in the same year.

Besides, ROB is nowhere to be seen as well, despite the fact that he was released on July of 1985 in Japan, sometime before the original SMB was released. So, either everytime a character (in this case, ROB) is defeated the next one in line pops up (in this case Samus), which means that the next in line could be Ridley, or no character that is yet to be revealed appears in the build they used for that commercial.

(All of this under the assumption that the leak is real and ROB is therefore set to appear in the game)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My issue is that Bowser and Peach are grouped together, as are Zelda and Link.

I feel like Samus would be grouped with Ridley, as they are the same franchise and same year, same day.

It's likely Pit and Palutena are grouped together in the following battle too.

I find it peculiar to not move Samus and Ridley into in the next fight, alongside Pit and Palutena, if he were playable.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I feel like Samus would be grouped with Ridley, as they are the same franchise and same year, same day.

I find it peculiar to not move Samus and Ridley into in the next fight, alongside Pit and Palutena, if he were playable.
I'm sure that as soon as you defeat Bowser and Peach (assuming this is the case), Ridley would appear next to Samus (along with Pit, who will at first appear without Palutena), so they'd appear grouped together for the next fight.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, we don't exactly know how those All-Star images function. @ SchAlternate SchAlternate proposed the idea that maybe it only shows five characters at a time, and as you defeat them one by one (or perhaps as a group if they're from the same series), it moves onto the next characters. So perhaps once Peach (and maybe Bowser) are defeated, Ridley would appear alongside Samus.

This may not be how it functions, and maybe this is a sign that Ridley will not be playable. However, since we don't know exactly how all this All-Star stuff works, this is not decisive evidence against Ridley.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm sure that as soon as you defeat Bowser and Peach (assuming this is the case), Ridley would appear next to Samus (along with Pit, who will at first appear without Palutena), so they'd appear grouped together for the next fight.
Smash isn't built to house more than six players on screen at a time. And we all know how All-Star mode works - the previewed characters are the only ones you fight in the next battle before once again returning to the Rest Area, so even if they used a "Team Stock" system here, Ridley is not part of the oncoming battle in that screenshot.

Not here to debate this at length since I know how adamant Ridley's supporters are, but it's something to consider.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Grouping Samus and Ridley makes sense, but remember, Ridley has yet to be confirmed, and I don't think they would BLATANTLY reveal him. Emphasis on blatantly because they accidentally confirmed Ganondorf on the list, who happens to be funnily enough, left out of that All Stars list. Yes, technically Ganon appeared in 86, but Ganon is part of Dorf's final smash, so yeah.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Did you guys hear Ridley is a boss in the Subspace Emissary? :079:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Grouping Samus and Ridley makes sense, but remember, Ridley has yet to be confirmed, and I don't think they would BLATANTLY reveal him. Emphasis on blatantly because they accidentally confirmed Ganondorf on the list, who happens to be funnily enough, left out of that All Stars list. Yes, technically Ganon appeared in 86, but Ganon is part of Dorf's final smash, so yeah.
Dorf is still the main playable character in his case, so him appearing later makes total sense. Like how ZSS appears later due to technically debuting in Zero Mission, despite still being Samus.

And this would easily be averted by showing a different preview of the rest area. Maybe a more modern era of characters who don't really bring up any questions or abnormalities for potentially unrevealed characters.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Smash isn't built to house more than six players on screen at a time. And we all know how All-Star mode works - the previewed characters are the only ones you fight in the next battle before once again returning to the Rest Area, so even if they used a "Team Stock" system here, Ridley is not part of the oncoming battle in that screenshot.

Not here to debate this at length since I know how adamant Ridley's supporters are, but it's something to consider.
Apparently I failed to explain what I was going for.

Upon defeating both Bowser and Peach, you get back to the Rest Area, and Link and Zelda get first in line. This means that Samus will slide up to third place and, in case he's playable, Ridley will appear on fourth, next to Samus, and he'll be followed by Pit; but since there are only five characters displayed at the same time, Palutena won't show up until you defeat both Link and Zelda, thus the cycle repeats.

This all just speculation though. Because we don't know how All Star mode will work this time around, this doesn't mean anything for either position.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's not over yet.

There's still a lot questions and queries that have yet to be addressed. For better or for worse, both sides are perennially grasping at straws, and yet I can only imagine that's exactly what Sakurai loves to see. ;P

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Dorf is still the main playable character in his case, so him appearing later makes total sense. Like how ZSS appears later due to technically debuting in Zero Mission, despite still being Samus.

And this would easily be averted by showing a different preview of the rest area. Maybe a more modern era of characters who don't really bring up any questions or abnormalities for potentially unrevealed characters.
Didn't Zero basically show up as the Justin Bailey code in the original Metroid? I know it wasn't referred to as Zero Suit yet but it still served the purpose of Samus being playable outside of her suit.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Then where is R.O.B.?

We don't know if the rule for this game is that all shown characters are battled, as this is a completely different game, and a different take on All Star Mode. In this particular mode, it appears that they are battled in order of when they appeared, this room being from the start of 1985 to the start of 1986 (That's how I interpret it).

So by all accounts, Ridley should appear there if he is playable. However, R.O.B. should as well, which leaves 2 conclusions:

1. Not all characters are shown, as this was in a public trailer that wasn't made to announce said characters, or:

2. Characters shift along the lines as more are beaten (As SchAlternate is saying)

Either way, it means very little in regards to Ridley's chances.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Wait, when did ganondorf get confirmed?

I still think that picture has little to do with ridley, because like it has been said many times, they wouldn't accidentally leave ridley in there and try to play it off like they didn't just confirm a character.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Apparently I failed to explain what I was going for.

Upon defeating both Bowser and Peach, you get back to the Rest Area, and Link and Zelda get first in line. This means that Samus will slide up to third place and, in case he's playable, Ridley will appear on fourth, next to Samus, and he'll be followed by Pit; but since there are only five characters displayed at the same time, Palutena won't show up until you defeat both Link and Zelda, thus the cycle repeats.

This all just speculation though. Because we don't know how All Star mode will work this time around, this doesn't mean anything for either position.
But All-Star mode has always worked in that it shows a preview of EVERYONE you fight in the next round. It's a mechanic ripped directly from Kirby games, and is done so the player knows what they are up against, and can decide whether or not using a limited health restore is worth it. I don't see any reason why this would change to suddenly accommodate more characters than are previewed, since it's flat out sensible and fair game design.

My problem with this image is Samus' placement. We know they are probably grouping these characters chronologically, and in fives. However, more than 5 characters have debuted in some single years, but they also seem to be putting characters from the same franchise and debut year, together.

So my problem is - if Ridley were in the game, why not put someone like R.O.B with Peach, Bowser, Link, and Zelda, then in the next fight, put Samus, Ridley, Pit, Palutena, and whatever other standalone character together?

What I'm getting from this screenshot is that Samus is being used here because she is a stand alone character in this time period as far as playable characters go, so they used her to fill out that fifth slot as the odd one out. Peach and Bowser, and Link and Zelda, are playable characters that debuted as pairs from the same franchises, in this one time period, so they threw them together, and then threw Samus in as a stand alone to balance things out - as no other playable characters from her series debuted in this time period.

There is likely a second "1985-1986" battle for Pit and Palutena and all the other relevant characters. My issue is though, why isn't Samus grouped with Ridley, assuming he's playable, when it would be so easy to do without ruining the running theme of the mode, by moving them into that second battle?

And furthermore, why let this into the trailer if it caused any easily analysed problems like this? The Ganondorf thing was harder to see as it occupied a tiny part of the screen for a split second and it's clear they took stock footage of Pikachu and didn't realise the circle with Ganondorf would be noticeable, but this is something I spotted casually and made me concerned in that moment, for reasons I stated above. And it occupies an entire panel, not just a spec of it that can be attributed to a simple oversight.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But All-Star mode has always worked in that it shows a preview of EVERYONE you fight in the next round. It's a mechanic ripped directly from Kirby games, and is done so the player knows what they are up against, and can decide whether or not using a limited health restore is worth it. I don't see any reason why this would change to suddenly accommodate more characters than are previewed, since it's flat out sensible and fair game design.
Just because there doesn't seem to be a reason for a change doesn't mean that a change is impossible. All-Star mode has changed in a number of ways when transitioning from Melee to Brawl; it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were changed again.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

My problem with this image is Samus' placement. We know they are probably grouping these characters chronologically, and in fives. However, more than 5 characters have debuted in some single years, but they also seem to be putting characters from the same franchise and debut year, together.

So my problem is - if Ridley were in the game, why not put someone like R.O.B with Peach, Bowser, Link, and Zelda, then in the next fight, put Samus, Ridley, Pit, Palutena, and whatever other standalone character together?

What I'm getting from this screenshot is that Samus is being used here because she is a stand alone character in this time period as far as playable characters go, so they used her to fill out that fifth slot as the odd one out. Peach and Bowser, and Link and Zelda, are playable characters that debuted as pairs from the same franchises, in this one time period, so they threw them together, and then threw Samus in as a stand alone to balance things out - as no other playable characters from her series debuted in this time period.

There is likely a second "1985-1986" battle for Pit and Palutena and all the other relevant characters. My issue is though, why isn't Samus grouped with Ridley, assuming he's playable, when it would be so easy to do without ruining the running theme of the mode, by moving them into that second battle?

And furthermore, why let this into the trailer if it caused any easily analysed problems like this? The Ganondorf thing was harder to see as it occupied a tiny part of the screen for a split second and it's clear they took stock footage of Pikachu and didn't realise the circle with Ganondorf would be noticeable, but this is something I spotted casually and made me concerned in that moment, for reasons I stated above. And it occupies an entire panel, not just a spec of it that can be attributed to a simple oversight.
well why arent mario luigi bowser peach and someone else pared together?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
And why can't that logic be used towards Ridley? As you said, Zammy technically appeared in Zero Mission. As a lot of people are aware of, Ridley is based on his Other M model, which is technically a different Ridley, compared to classic Ridley who first debuted in Metroid 1. That seems like a valid reason since Ganondorf doesn't appear next to Link and Zelda, despite technically appearing as Ganon in the original Zelda.

As many people said, there isn't enough evidence to go on from that vid to confirm Ridley's role.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I agree with most here that it is not decisive (also, assuming Ridley is unlockable, they wouldn't want it spoilered over a commercial); however some Ridley fans have already considered quite extensively. Personally, I think it's the first real evidence that doesn't bode too well for Ridley (worst then the Boss Character tease), but overall there really isn't much to go about it; it's all still speculation in the end, and we know little of how All-Star mode works this time around. It ultimately, means pretty little for Ridley...yet (until we get conclusive evidence on how All-star mode works).

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I just love how the explicit boss, Yellow Devil, and the implicit boss, Metal Face, are both on stages confirmed for both versions.

Pyrosphere Wii U exclusive, bb

D

Deleted member 245254

Just because there doesn't seem to be a reason for a change doesn't mean that a change is impossible. All-Star mode has changed in a number of ways when transitioning from Melee to Brawl; it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were changed again.
The mechanic of showing you your next round of opponents through the hologram like displays was great design and the liklihood of it changing is small, and thus doesn't bode well for Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom